homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I've found the best thing to get rid of ants is corn meal. They love it. It kills them (apparently it causes gas so they fart themselves to death!).

What's not to like?

The mental images produced by the above were so vivid and hilarious that I nearly spilled my coffee all over this computer. It has certainly made my day!

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DIY reno question.

I want to remove some glass shelves which are glued to mirror backing (ie large mirrors glued to walls, glass shelves installed and glued to mirrors). Previous owners put in a hideous "bar" area, complete with glass shelves and twee little clear acrylic columns glued between the shelves as if supporting them. Design appears to have been inspired by a particularly tacky 1980's wedding cake.

Those freakin' shelves are GLUED on to the mirror walls - I could probably climb on them.

Is there a product that will weaken/dissolve the glue? I wouldn't mind keeping the mirrored walls, so I haven't taken the sledge hammer to the whole thing yet. But if it's to be the sledge hammer and the mirrored walls have to go, that's okay... just makes a bit more work for me.

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaf,

The difficult part is not knowing which particular glue was used. For many, a paint solvent should work. Such as toluene or acetone. Dimethylformamide might as well. They are all nasty and proper precautions should be used. VENTILATION!, gloves, respirator, goggles, etc.
Careful if taking the hammer to the glass; likely it is not tempered. Nasty plate glass can be as well.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
Can anyone help me with a quiz question? What completes:

AUSTRALIA 960, MADAGASKAR 1152, IRELAND 576, CUBA ?

(Paraphrasing Chapelhead's reply from prev page):

Number of vowels x number of consonants x 48

Blimey, Chapelhead, you may just be my new favourite person.

It certainly works (making Cuba 192), but, like I think Wet Kipper, I have to admit I was expecting slightly more of a "D'OH!" moment when the light went on, rather than "48? Huh." If you see what I mean.

However, I am a big fan of the logic so a big YAY for 48, and to Chapelhead for knowing his 192 times table. Chapelhead, if you'd like to pm me, I will send you the chocolate of your choice and a box of my eternal gratitude.

Hen [Big Grin]

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:

The difficult part is not knowing which particular glue was used...

If you can get a chip of glue off you can test it, or take it into a DIY or glass shop and see if they can identify it. If it is somewhat rubbery it may be a type of caulk, or hot melt glue (that softens at 120C to 130C). If it is stiff and brittle it could be some sort of epoxy (Araldite) or cyanoacrylate ("Super Glue"), the latter being susceptible to nail polish remover (acetone). One clue is how much glue remains around the joint and to what extent the glue ran down the glass in the process.
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you very much, lilBuddha and Carex. The glue-stuff is not at all rubbery or caulking-like, so it'll be one of the other options. Someone else IRL today also suggested acetone, so that makes three recommendations. I will also follow your sensible safety precautions - ventilation should be fine as it's near exterior French doors.
Carex
Shipmate
# 9643

- Posted      Profile for Carex   Email Carex   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The manufacturer of "Super Glue" even give instructions on how to remove it.
Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

It certainly works (making Cuba 192), but, like I think Wet Kipper, I have to admit I was expecting slightly more of a "D'OH!" moment when the light went on, rather than "48? Huh." If you see what I mean.

Like you and Wet Kipper, I think it's a pretty poor question (assuming I have the answer right).

quote:
However, I am a big fan of the logic so a big YAY for 48, and to Chapelhead for knowing his 192 times table. Chapelhead, if you'd like to pm me, I will send you the chocolate of your choice and a box of my eternal gratitude.

I've never met a chocolate I didn't like, but, for the sake of my waist-line, perhaps you could just put a pound in the poor box on Sunday, and we'd both have a warm fuzzy feeling (but mine would have nothing to do with you putting a quid in the poor box!).

[ 04. November 2010, 22:38: Message edited by: Chapelhead ]

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

Just wanted to thank lilBuddha and Carex. Acetone worked perfectly! Now you cannot tell there had ever been glass shelves on the mirrored wall. I am amazed, because those shelves were rock-climbing-wall solidly affixed.

Just to be on the safe side, I had duct-taped the mirrored wall all over in case its bond to the wall wasn't strong and I pulled it down by accident, but it seems very stable.

Thanks again.

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
I've never met a chocolate I didn't like, but, for the sake of my waist-line, perhaps you could just put a pound in the poor box on Sunday, and we'd both have a warm fuzzy feeling (but mine would have nothing to do with you putting a quid in the poor box!).

What a lovely thought. Donation in its suitably giftaided envelope ready, and a mention in the prayers of st-saviours-on-sea on sunday.

Thanks, Chapelhead [Big Grin]

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know of a handbell ringing group reasonably accessible from South East London please?

It's for a friend, who probably needs to be taught a little more about internet searches, but I thought I'd ask here as I know nothing about detecting which of any online hits are friendly and like learning new stuff reasonably often, as those are her criteria.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Remember the old TV ad "I can't, but I know a man who can"? Well, I'm hoping that I know a shipmate who can.

The Smudgelet's Facebook page has been hacked. I think we know who's done it - and who's managed to change his password so that he can't get in to rectify it - but we have no proof and he doesn't want to accuse this person (who is a friend) unless he can be a bit more sure. He does have an IP address for the person responsible, though.

Any suggestions? Is there any way of someone tracking the IP address? Any idea of how we retrieve his facebook account and protect it.. especially as the hacker is posting personal information on there which the Smudgelet really doesn't want on show and is also posting defamatory status updates.

[Mad]

I am going to post this on the Ancient Geek thread as well and see if anyone can help a.s.a.p. The Smudgelet has enough on his plate at the moment without adding cyberbullying into the equasion.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So long as the hacker hasn't changed his registered email (possibly even if s/he has), try using the 'forgotten password' function on the Facebook log-in page - this should then send Smudgelet an email allowing him to reset a new password or similar, I'd think / hope.

Can't help re: IP addresses.

Hope that helps a bit.

[Votive] Smudgie and her Smudgelets

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that Facebook are very good at ignoring or sending out automated responses to emails, but there are certain situations to which they will react personally. Any form of stalking is one of them, and if that involves a minor they should be doubly eager to help.

I'm not sure how such emails get through to the right places, but presumably there are buzz words that get detected, so you writing as parent/guardian, referring to Smudgelet's age, using the words stalking (which is appropriate in principle) and hacking, and personal attacks etc, will hopefully get through.

When I needed them to block my account from someone they were extremely helpful. They have even more reason to be good in this case.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A question about sterilising jars. I'm about to pickle some plums in nice jars as Christmas presents. I'm using these jars. I've never used them before and I'm not sure about sterilising them becasue of the metal clip. I usually sterilise jars by washing them then putting them in the oven to dry off. Is that still the way with these (without the rubber seal, obviously)?

I'm just not sure if the metal clip will get too hot and damage the glass.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread has a few ideas. One of which being to sterilise them in milton - you are already a milton expert!

Auntie Doris x

[ 10. November 2010, 17:40: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I keep coming across "date night" in some American literature. Couples seem to have a regular night for going out as if on a date - for a meal or something. (Not a bad idea). Is this something that is a cultural "norm" in church circles in the US or in the US in general? How did it get there? Is it something everyone does and who looks after the kids??

Emma

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Suze

Ship's Barmaid
# 5639

- Posted      Profile for Suze   Email Suze   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by birdie:
A question about sterilising jars. I'm about to pickle some plums in nice jars as Christmas presents. I'm using these jars. I've never used them before and I'm not sure about sterilising them becasue of the metal clip. I usually sterilise jars by washing them then putting them in the oven to dry off. Is that still the way with these (without the rubber seal, obviously)?

I'm just not sure if the metal clip will get too hot and damage the glass.

I use these kind of jars all the time and they cope fine with being washed and put in the oven so if it's your usual way it should do them no harm.

--------------------
' You stay here and I'll go look for God, that won't be hard cos I know where he's not, and I will bring him back with me , then he'll listen , then he'll see' Richard Shindell

Posts: 2603 | From: where the angels sleep | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
I keep coming across "date night" in some American literature. Couples seem to have a regular night for going out as if on a date - for a meal or something. (Not a bad idea). Is this something that is a cultural "norm" in church circles in the US or in the US in general? How did it get there? Is it something everyone does and who looks after the kids??

Emma

I'm not sure how common it is, but a couple will arrange for a babysitter and go out for a nice dinner, movie, show, dancing... whatever. It gives them some time together without being harrassed by the kids and seems to be a good thing for the marriage. I don't know that is has anything to do with any church.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anybody know what day of the week Buffy the Vampire Slayer was on in December, 1999?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Does anybody know what day of the week Buffy the Vampire Slayer was on in December, 1999?

According to Wikipedia* it was on Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET.
Now you must tell us why you want to know!

*I can't post the URL, but just go to Wikipedia and search for Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- there's a chart of its broadcast history near the bottom of the page.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

According to Wikipedia* it was on Tuesday at 8 p.m. ET.
Now you must tell us why you want to know!

*I can't post the URL, but just go to Wikipedia and search for Buffy the Vampire Slayer -- there's a chart of its broadcast history near the bottom of the page.

I looked at the wikip page but for some reason missed that.

I'm writing a book about a vampire for NaNoWriMo and it's set in 1999/2000.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
jackanapes
Shipmate
# 12374

- Posted      Profile for jackanapes   Email jackanapes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Emma

'The Marriage Course' from HTB has picked up the idea and is propagating it in the UK.
Posts: 468 | From: The bottom of my heart | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Emma

I'm not sure how common it is, but a couple will arrange for a babysitter and go out for a nice dinner, movie, show, dancing... whatever. It gives them some time together without being harrassed by the kids and seems to be a good thing for the marriage. I don't know that is has anything to do with any church.
Our church rather picked up and ran with the idea. On the first Friday of each month, a group of volunteers plan and bring about a fun night for the kids, and the parents get to have several hours for their "date night".

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I came across the idea in the Marriage Course. It's not even necessarily an evening out - it just means time spent together having fun. Could be a walk in the park or a coffee together while the kids are with someone else.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Emma

While the term "date night" might be American, the concept is not necessarily tied to America or "the church." My parents have been doing this for years. They found it quite refreshing and continued this after we children were no longer an issue.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tangentially to "date night":

Mormons have traditionally had a family night, one night a week. (Used to be mostly on Mondays; don't know what the current practice is.) Kind of the same idea as date night, except the whole family spends time together. IIRC board games and such have been favored activities.

I've always thought that was a cool idea, if you could make it work.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

It's still Monday evenings. (I just got home from a meeting where none of the LDS members of the committee could attend, and now we have to change the meeting night.)

But "date night" is, AIUI, specifically child-free.

--------------------
~Tortuf

Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

Cleaning question.

Our bathroom has a heating vent located (infelicitously) near the toilet. Boys using the latter have a habit of hitting the former. Now that heat is on for the winter, the olfactory effect is, um, very much less than charming.

I've cleaned the vent grille, obviously. But what can I spray down the heating vent that won't be utterly revolting/catch fire? Is there some sort of pet-related product? A solution of baking soda and water?

We won't even discuss the tile grout [Frown]

If you answer, "Make 'em all sit down," believe me, I've thought of it.

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can't speak to the cleaning, but there are little plexiglass vent covers you can get to direct the heat one way or the other, and they would probably do a decent job of stopping the entrance of unsavory liquids into the system.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hubby and I have been having date Friday nights for 43 years now. I think it works. In our young first married childless stage it was out to dinner, movie or such. Stage 2 baby, home with a bottle of wine and nice dinner when baby was in bed. Stage 3 young children, Alone time for an hour in the living room Children learned to stay away unless there was fire, flood, or blood involved.
When cash flowed baby sitter and out. Now it is back out to dinner, games and order in, or perhaps a movie. The rule over the years was no talk about work, children, or family problems. Talk about hopes dreams, plans.

Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Once you've got an answer about what to use for the cleaning, you clean the area thoroughly and painstakingly with them watching. Then (unless they are too young to exercise the requisite control), tell them that the next time it needs doing, they will do it and you will watch. And, if it need doing just before the programme on TV they want to watch or similar, so much the worse.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferdzy
Shipmate
# 8702

- Posted      Profile for Ferdzy   Author's homepage   Email Ferdzy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leaf, those enzyme products for cleaning pet urine would also work on human urine I am quite sure. They are very effective, and I don't see why heat should be a problem. At worst they may not be quite as effective. I would apply it heavily to the grout and really let it soak in.

We were once able to rescue a carpet that had had a puppy, two cats and their kittens, and a couple of very irresponsible tenants cavorting on it for months, by putting the enzyme cleaner right into the steam cleaner.

Posts: 252 | From: Ontario, Canada | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Comrades - if I was taking out a civil action against someone in the UK, preventing them from entering a house/district, or approaching/talking/communicating in any way with a person, I'd be looking to take out an injunction. (which I'm not, this is for a novel)

What would it be called in the USA?

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Comrades - if I was taking out a civil action against someone in the UK, preventing them from entering a house/district, or approaching/talking/communicating in any way with a person, I'd be looking to take out an injunction. (which I'm not, this is for a novel)

Same thing, I do believe - at least in certain cases.

There is also a "restraining order," which would cover the "preventing them from preventing them approaching/talking/communicating in any way with a person" aspect.

I'm not sure of the legal distinction between the two things, though; perhaps one is used in business law and the other is used in family/personal law? Perhaps a barrister among us could help there.....(Or see Wikipedia? Here and here.)

[ 30. November 2010, 18:54: Message edited by: TubaMirum ]

Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My Mum has requested a shopping trolley for Christmas. Seems I can spend not very much to quite a lot of money. Does anyone have any advice on these sorts of things... is it worth spending the money? Or are you buying a name.

(Mum's only stipulation is that it doesn't look old ladyish...)

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a good mid-priced one. I use them for carting books from school for marking.

If you treat them well they last for years.

[Smile]

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If she is likely to go up stairs, get one with 3 wheels on each wheel. Mine was about £40 and I bless the day I bought it.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
GillH, I'm trying to picture "three wheels on each wheel" and why it would make a difference going up stairs. Any chance of a pic or more information?
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
jlg

look here, it only rolls on one of three sets of wheels at a time but when you get to stairs instead of having to haul it up each stair, the next set of wheels picks up the stair ledge and means you never haul the whole weight.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, jengie!
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh. Both clever and trinitarian.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ferijen, there are some fairly funky ones in the corner hardware store at a town not far from you. Also at a certain Swedish outlet.

[ 02. December 2010, 14:49: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there any explanation of why there are four gospels, three of which are synoptic?
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:

Restraining Order and Order of Protection. Two different things. Both have the same purpose, but one has teeth and lives longer. An RO doesn't last a long time and violating it is nothing but a contempt of court fine. An OP lasts a year or more. It carries criminal penalties for violating it.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Ooh. Both clever and trinitarian.

Strangely I know some professional removalists who scorn them. I've found them useful - it may be a machismo thing.

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone advise on how to get dried in paint off a much loved sweater? I got one of my old favourites out of the wardrobe recently and found that it had been left since last winter with a big smudge of paint on one sleeve.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dab a little acetone on the stain.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It would depend on the paint. Water-based stuff like latex paint may wash out in the laundry. If not, try acentone as Amanda suggested. If it's a wool sweater, leave it to the professionals and take it to the cleaners.

I assume the chemicals needed for oil-based paint would be different, but I never use it so I've never needed to clean it up.

[ 06. December 2010, 13:12: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

FYI, when working with acetone, don't use a plastic cup/bowl. It will dissolve many plastics. Use glass or metal.

With that in mind, if your sweater is a man-made fabric like acrylic, I don't know what acetone might do to it.

[ 06. December 2010, 13:15: Message edited by: monkeylizard ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016