homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 34)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's emulsion paint on a man made fibre garment. I've tried just putting it through the washing machine but that didn't shift it.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Careful the dyes even if the sweater is a natural fiber. Test any solvent in a hidden area.
IME, latex does not easily remove in the wash.
I would take the item to a professional.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Careful the dyes even if the sweater is a natural fiber. Test any solvent in a hidden area.
IME, latex does not easily remove in the wash.
I would take the item to a professional.

I'd be embarrassed taking it to a professional, it's a very manky old acrylic sweater that is so worn it's gone all bobbly. But it has great sentimental meaning to me and I wouldn't part with it for anything.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there too much paint for you to be able to accept it as a sign that it has lived life to the full?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This Stain Devil may help. I checked and it is suppose to work on both polyester and viscose.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by monkeylizard:
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
Comrades - if I was taking out a civil action against someone in the UK, preventing them from entering a house/district, or approaching/talking/communicating in any way with a person, I'd be looking to take out an injunction. (which I'm not, this is for a novel)

What would it be called in the USA?

Restraining Order and Order of Protection. Two different things. Both have the same purpose, but one has teeth and lives longer. An RO doesn't last a long time and violating it is nothing but a contempt of court fine. An OP lasts a year or more. It carries criminal penalties for violating it.
That's excellent. Thank you!

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am doing the final bits and bobs of formatting and tidying up on my PhD thesis ready to take it for printing and binding tomorrow. So whilst this is not a life and death question, it is a sanity-saving question, and if I can't get it sorted out soon it might still become life and death [Waterworks]

So, MS Word (grrrrr). In previous versions of the thesis I had separated out odd sections with a horizontal line, made by a few dashes (ie ------), which became a line across the whole page when I pressed enter. Despite leaving gaps above and below these lines, when I copy the text just as far as the end of the text and then paste it into a new document, the horizontal line appears as well. So I now have 3 or 4 random unwanted horizontal lines in my thesis which I cannot get rid of whatever I try. I am using MS Word 2003 (I think) on Windows XP.

I have tried everything I can think of in the format, view, edit and tools menus but nothing gets rid of those bastard lines. At one point one of them seemed to disappear and I jubilantly hit save, but it has since reappeared in the same place despite me not reinserting the line. I am giving up for now and if all else fails I shall blitz them with tippex, but surely there must be a more techy solution? All help gratefully received, thank you!

[Waterworks]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Are any of these links (one, two, three) any help?
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BroJames I think I love you - link 2 (the one about removing borders and shading) did the trick. You are utterly wonderful [Big Grin]

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is going by memory and is technically not a good fix but nobody will notice.

Right click on the line, select properties and either change the width to "none" or the colour to "white"

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why does the price or petrol continue to rise when there is a global recession meaning people are commuting and using their car less and we have more fuel-efficient cars?
Posts: 1283 | From: near London | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emerging nations.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jack the Lass:
BroJames I think I love you

[Smile]
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a recording of Bing Crosby singing "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" in which he says Rudolf's nose glowed "like a hot razzie". What's a hot razzie? Google won't tell me.

(ps kids think it's hilarious that Rudolf is "smokin' a cigar all day"! great message for kids!)

Posts: 2786 | From: the electrical field | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Razzie means raspberry. Perhaps it was a trendy drink back in ye-olden days. The hot toddie of its time. Just a guess.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

- Posted      Profile for Leaf     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, that's as far as I could guess too, monkeylizard.
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There was an animated Christmas Carol (was it the one with Mr. Magoo?) where Tiny Tim sings about "razzleberry dressing".
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if "hot razzie" could be this:

quote:
Red Hot Dollars were introduced by the Heide Candy Company in either 1925 or 1926. They were round pieces of gum candy bearing the dollar sign imprint. The "red hot" referred to a popular slang expression of the times - something that was new, up to date and very popular was considered "red hot." The name has nothing to do with the flavor which was (and still is) raspberry. The name was later changed to Red Raspberry Dollars to better reflect the actual taste.
The color works, anyway....
Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Occasionally, song lyrics mean absolutely nothing.
Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
TubaMirum
Shipmate
# 8282

- Posted      Profile for TubaMirum     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
Occasionally, song lyrics mean absolutely nothing.

Well, that's really true, isn't it? [Overused]
Posts: 4719 | From: Right Coast USA | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If the lid of a grand piano is the big flat bit that can be raised up for concerts etc, what is the bit that covers the keyboard called? Does anybody know?? [Confused]

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pre-cambrian
Shipmate
# 2055

- Posted      Profile for Pre-cambrian   Email Pre-cambrian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's a lid too, at least that's what it seems to be called on an upright when it's the only one that matters. (There is also a sound lid on the top of an upright piano, but in my experience it's never opened because it's always covered with piles of music!) I suppose on a grand you work out which one's meant by the context.

[ 16. December 2010, 10:18: Message edited by: Pre-cambrian ]

--------------------
"We cannot leave the appointment of Bishops to the Holy Ghost, because no one is confident that the Holy Ghost would understand what makes a good Church of England bishop."

Posts: 2314 | From: Croydon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it's the "fall" or "fall board". The lock that keeps jammy fingers of the keyboard is the "fall lock" [Razz]

Morlader

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks both. The lid of my teacher's grand piano was always covered with piles of music too!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just an interesting question on my part. I have wide-ish feet 4E, and have not bought shoes off the rack for a few decades (One of the advantages of being in a wheelchair is that shoes last forever)

My "dress shoes" are beginning to look tacky. I was looking at a pair in a store which I quite like - they have velcro closings, and I have been informed that they are quite wide for a standard shoe.

So tell me, O shipmates, what width are standard off-the-rack shoes? The clerk couldn't help.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leaf
Shipmate
# 14169

I thought the standard width for shoes was "C" - "A" and "B" being on the continuum for narrower feet, "D" and upward on the continuum for wider feet.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know where the expression "fell pregnant" originated? For some reason it annoys me intensely - I think it's because I associate it in my mind with people being seen as fallen.

I know it may have no connection whatsoever, but daoes anyome know, or can you help me to a useful website?

Huia

[ 16. December 2010, 17:59: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fall pregnant has always made sense. It is a take on the verb 'to befall' - to happen to [someone]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Standard for Shoe width for men is D and women B, I am fairly certain.
Not that it is more than a rough guide. Deuced things vary so much it is frustrating.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For women in the UK the standard width is definitely not B. I suspect it varies between C and D depending on the shoe manufacturer.

[ETA That's probably not massively interesting to PeteC anyway...]

[ 16. December 2010, 20:14: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Does anyone know where the expression "fell pregnant" originated? For some reason it annoys me intensely - I think it's because I associate it in my mind with people being seen as fallen.

Annoys me too because it implies people get pregnant by accident.

[ 16. December 2010, 20:33: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Ok what essential piece of news have I missed?

After years when I rarely heard of rough sleepers, this winter there seems to be a number of them (three separate reports to date). Has something changed and I not spotted it? Or do they just appear when we have a Conservative government?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly, although in Leeds we are currently on a cold-weather protocol so there are (allegedly) no rough sleepers to be found out on the streets.

I suspect the debate about rough sleepers got binned in favour of dealing with drugs and criminal justice.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PeteC:
Fall pregnant has always made sense. It is a take on the verb 'to befall' - to happen to [someone]

Thanks Pete.

I still don't like it as it sounds like something that just happens to a woman, rather than her having any active involvement.

I also take Ken's point about it sounding accidental, although I suppose historically it is something over which a vast number of women didn't have a lot of control.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I still don't like it as it sounds like something that just happens to a woman, rather than her having any active involvement.

You also fall ill, or fall asleep or fall to thinking of the old days. It just indicates a change of state.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Or do they just appear when we have a Conservative government?

That would be the lesson of experience.

Also unemployment has been rising for years, yet house prices are still rising - in real terms they are perhaps four or five times higher than they were in the 1970s when mass unemployment came back - so we'd expect a housing crisis.

The only solution to the inevitable housing crisis is for prices to fall to a quarter of what they are now. Which would wipe vast quantities of capital out of millions of people (including me)

Essentially British housing market is in that old ethical dilemma - would it be right for ten people to imprison and torture one innocent person in order to improve their own lives slightly? (If not ten a hundred? A million?)

--------------------
Ken

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
... I suppose historically it is something over which a vast number of women didn't have a lot of control.

But somebody still had to do something.

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
You also fall ill, or fall asleep...

That's the exact point. Those are involuntary or unconscious things (though you can make them more or less likely). No-one can choose to go to sleep. You just have to wait around until it happens.

--------------------
Ken

Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But you could be having all the (non-contraceptived) sex you like, you still don't have control over whether or not the actual conception occurs. So, similarly, you have to wait around to find out if it's happening.

[ 17. December 2010, 13:45: Message edited by: Wet Kipper ]

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
... I suppose historically it is something over which a vast number of women didn't have a lot of control.

But somebody still had to do something.
And for most of history that somebody was male and the woman was often 'done to' rather than 'doing'. Seduction, rape, 'wifely duty' - whatever the excuse, the woman is the one who ends up pregnant when she perhaps really didn't want to be.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jlg:
And for most of history that somebody was male and the woman was often 'done to' rather than 'doing'. Seduction, rape, 'wifely duty' - whatever the excuse, the woman is the one who ends up pregnant when she perhaps really didn't want to be.

I almost choked on my dinner one evening at a diner-type restaurant in the Land of Comet. Two men were sitting in the booth behind me grumbling about their finances. One complained that "The wife went and got herself pregnant."

How she managed this on her own I don't know, but it was obviously done just to annoy him.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

- Posted      Profile for NJA   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone please explain why Norman St. John-Stevas is pronounced:
"Sinjun"-Stevas

Was it a left-over from his youth?
Is it a class/breeding thing?

Did it come from Norman-French "Saint Jean"?

Another one is, should I say "Fanshaw" for Featherstone-Haugh.

Any etymographers in the house?

[ 17. December 2010, 18:16: Message edited by: NJA ]

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always thought "St. John" as a name was pronounced "Sinjun." It seems a pretty natural contraction in English and it's certainly not unique to him

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
georgiaboy
Shipmate
# 11294

- Posted      Profile for georgiaboy   Email georgiaboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have always heard 'Fister' (or perhaps 'Fisterer') used as the pronounciation for Feathersone-Haugh, but I can see that 'Fanshaw' would be equally logical (if logic enters into it at all!) [Smile]

Along the same lines, am I correct that St Mary's, Rotherhithe is called 'Redriff'? (I don't trust my source.)

--------------------
You can't retire from a calling.

Posts: 1675 | From: saint meinrad, IN | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NJA:
Can someone please explain why Norman St. John-Stevas is pronounced:
"Sinjun"-Stevas

Was it a left-over from his youth?
Is it a class/breeding thing?

Did it come from Norman-French "Saint Jean"?

Another one is, should I say "Fanshaw" for Featherstone-Haugh.

Any etymographers in the house?

I notice that Wiki has a page on 'counterintuitive pronunciation' issues, which may be helpful. Or not. [Biased]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I know it may have no connection whatsoever, but daoes anyome know, or can you help me to a useful website?

Huia

French's got this as well, in 'tomber enceinte'. I wonder if there's a Latin equivalent?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I notice that Wiki has a page on 'counterintuitive pronunciation' issues, which may be helpful. Or not. [Biased]

Thanks, I thought of showing that to friends from abroad but I can't think of a more boring way of learning English.

If someone wrote a book explaining how some of these alternatives came about, that would be interesting.

NJA
Shipmate
# 13022

On the subject of fibres, I'm told that linen has very low electorstatic charge emission compared to other fibres, synthetic ones especially, can anyone explain why
Morlader
Shipmate
# 16040

- Posted      Profile for Morlader         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

Along the same lines, am I correct that St Mary's, Rotherhithe is called 'Redriff'? (I don't trust my source.)

Friend of mine was organist there; he pronounced it as you would expect. But he didn't live there, so the real locals might say it Redriff. (Local pronunciations keep outsiders - um - out [Biased] )

Morlader

--------------------
.. to utmost west.

Posts: 858 | From: Not England | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
Ricardus
Shipmate
# 8757

- Posted      Profile for Ricardus   Author's homepage   Email Ricardus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:

Huia

French's got this as well, in 'tomber enceinte'. I wonder if there's a Latin equivalent?
Could be - Spanish is caer embarazada ...

--------------------
Then the dog ran before, and coming as if he had brought the news, shewed his joy by his fawning and wagging his tail. -- Tobit 11:9 (Douai-Rheims)

Posts: 7247 | From: Liverpool, UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by georgiaboy:

Never heard that. Most people I've met from Rotherhithe pronounce it "Rovrive"

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016