homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Same place, new questions (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Same place, new questions
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think it was a trick question. Of course none of us Yanks would know -- we don't know nuthin' about no metric!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually considered that before I replied just in case it was a test. We Canadians don't like to blunder into other people's conversations but we do like to be helpful. Such a stress to know what to do.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Hot and Hormonal] Sorry Lillypad - How could I have left out the Canadians? My brain was even less in gear this morning than usual. (Maybe it's giving up thinking for Lent).

Thanks for your helpful answer.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone suggest where I can buy small inexpensive gift boxes? I am planning to try and make home made chocolates for some of my friends for Easter and need some pretty boxes to put them in, just big enough to hold perhaps 6-10 chocs each.
Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rev per Minute
Shipmate
# 69

- Posted      Profile for Rev per Minute   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Our UK Freeview box seems to have stopped working. You can still view a menu of all the channels, but they all say 'programme unavailable'. Its been like this for over a week. Assuming there is not a general problem with Freeview broadcasts (anyone care to confirm that they are still receiving it OK?) do I assume its time to replace the box? Tried updating the channel info, but still nothing.

My usual response to this problem has been to unplug the box from the mains, wait for a few minutes then plug it back in, allowing it to reboot/retune. Happened regularly for a while: it's eventual death appeared unconnected to this problem.

--------------------
"Allons-y!" "Geronimo!" "Oh, for God's sake!" The Day of the Doctor

At the end of the day, we face our Maker alongside Jesus. RIP ken

Posts: 2696 | From: my desk (if I can find the keyboard under this mess) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Can anyone suggest where I can buy small inexpensive gift boxes?

In the US we have stores where every item costs a dollar. I have seen small boxes in some of these stores.

I don't know whether you have anything similar in the UK.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ten thousand difficulties
Shipmate
# 9506

- Posted      Profile for ten thousand difficulties   Email ten thousand difficulties   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could try wedding websites/ shops which might sell little chocolate type boxes as favour boxes or similar.

--------------------
Ten thousand difficulties do not make one doubt

Posts: 167 | From: The wilds of South London | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rev per Minute:
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Our UK Freeview box seems to have stopped working. You can still view a menu of all the channels, but they all say 'programme unavailable'. Its been like this for over a week. Assuming there is not a general problem with Freeview broadcasts (anyone care to confirm that they are still receiving it OK?) do I assume its time to replace the box? Tried updating the channel info, but still nothing.

My usual response to this problem has been to unplug the box from the mains, wait for a few minutes then plug it back in, allowing it to reboot/retune.
That seems to be the standard response if I call the helpdesk.

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Can anyone suggest where I can buy small inexpensive gift boxes?

Do you feel up to making origami boxes?
(scroll down for links to lots of boxes and other containers).

[ 26. February 2009, 16:45: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What is the name of the music used in the original "Babe" film and currentrly used on the Thomas Cook ad on UK TV? I have the feeling it's an Irish song/hymn, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know as Mr D keeps asking me everytime the ad comes on TV....

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it Saint-Saens Organ Symphony in C (No3). I think it is the last movement.
Also used as the tune to "If I had words", which was a hit in the 70s (I think).

--------------------
Less is more ...

philip99a
Shipmate
# 13799

- Posted      Profile for philip99a   Email philip99a   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
What is the name of the music used in the original "Babe" film and currentrly used on the Thomas Cook ad on UK TV? I have the feeling it's an Irish song/hymn, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know as Mr D keeps asking me everytime the ad comes on TV....

No obviously Irish or even hymn-like music here.

Ah, but now I've found this on a Web Forum (dated Nov 2008, so probably the current advert):
"What's the music on the current Cook's TV afdvert? Saint Saens Symphony No. 3 ("Organ"). It was used on the soundtrack of the film "Babe" as a version called "If I had words" - it won a Grammy"

So, that could be your answer

--------------------
We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time T. S. Elliot (Four Quartets)

Posts: 1300 | From: Leicester (UK) | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks folks! If in doubt - Give The Ship a shout!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone advise? I have to do a powerpoint presentation for an OU course, the instructions for which were written with Office 2005 in mind. I used to have Office 2000 on my computer, which didn't bear any resemblence to the instructions and I have been told it is obsolete. I now have Office 2007, and the screens and buttons on that bear no resemblance to the instructions either. Can antone help?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this tutorial or this from Microsoft may well cover what you need to know.

Secondly a word of warning, please check what version of powerpoint your tutor has and if they can read Powerpoint 2007. The file format changed significantly between 2005 and 2007. You can get add ins so that 2005 can read 2007 but if your tutor cannot read it I suggest you save in the older format. Go to the quick menu tool bar, and save, and save as a powerpoint 2005 document. Unfortunately I do not have access to 2007 at home so I cannot give precise instructions.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Freddy R
Shipmate
# 14391

- Posted      Profile for Freddy R   Email Freddy R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malin:
I've read urine is sterile when it comes out of the body (and useful to counteract jellyfish stings if desperate, the ammonia helps) - but presumably once it's left for a while it would attract bacteria?

And I really don't get why guys don't wipe after peeing (and then wash hands). What about the drips at the end? I presume men's boxers 'absorb' those?

--------------------
The night is dark and I am far from home/ Lead Thou me on.

Posts: 107 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Freddy R
Shipmate
# 14391

- Posted      Profile for Freddy R   Email Freddy R   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Malin:
I've read urine is sterile when it comes out of the body (and useful to counteract jellyfish stings if desperate, the ammonia helps) - but presumably once it's left for a while it would attract bacteria?

And I really don't get why guys don't wipe after peeing (and then wash hands). What about the drips at the end? I presume men's boxers 'absorb' those?

Q: How do distinguish a Brit from a Frenchman in the loo? A: After peeing, the Brit carefully washes his hands. The Frenchman washes his hands first.

--------------------
The night is dark and I am far from home/ Lead Thou me on.

Posts: 107 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I used to have Office 2000 on my computer, which didn't bear any resemblence to the instructions and I have been told it is obsolete. I now have Office 2007, and the screens and buttons on that bear no resemblance to the instructions either. Can antone help?

I still use Office 2000 - works fine. Any powerpoint I create are quite happy running in any subsequent version of Office. The main difference seems to be you get more fancy stuff, like timed animation & multiple slide masters.
If you were happy using Office 2000, I don't really see why you should have upgraded, unless there were some features that you had to have.
Our church computer has Office 2007, and that happily runs Office 98 stuff still as well.

--------------------
Less is more ...

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I think this tutorial or this from Microsoft may well cover what you need to know.

Thank you Jengie - I guessed someone would be able to help. [Angel] [Yipee] [Axe murder]

[Edit: UBB]

[ 01. March 2009, 05:29: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hsa anyone ever enquired of Lambeth Palace about a Victorian clergyman? How much information do they have, and how long do they take to reply?

I'm hoping to find where one was living in 1855, which turns out to be three years before Crockfords started. If he's in the same place in the 1851 census as 1861 then I probably won't need to try Lambeth, but I thought I'd ask here anyway, just in case I ever need to look for anyone else.

Thanks,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Although it doesn't answer my question, I suspect someone round here, surely, will find this useful: Clergy of the Church of England Database

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If he was an incumbent of a parish you might get your answer more quickly and easily from contacting the parish direct.

I'm not sure how centralised records were at the time, and it may be that Lambeth will refer you to the relevant diocese. Diocesan records may be held by the diocese, or have been passed to an appropriate county archivist for storage.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may be worth contacting Fr Orford, the Archivist at Pusey House, Oxford.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sandemaniac:
Although it doesn't answer my question, I suspect someone round here, surely, will find this useful: Clergy of the Church of England Database

Thank you for that. This has quite unexpectedly given me a lead, where the trail had gone cold, in 1665. The person concerned might not be a direct ancestor, but this is worth following up - so thanks again!
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why is it no longer possible (in the UK at least) to buy bath enamel? Do they assume that no-one has an old enamel bath that they would rather repaint than replace? I have been to several hardware stores in the past couple of weeks but they don't seem to stock it or to be able to tell me why they don't.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Revelle

Ship's Bassist for Hire
# 8554

- Posted      Profile for Revelle   Author's homepage   Email Revelle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

AG

This is actually the first place I have ever seen anyone with my name in history. Ever.

At least I have an idea of where the family was from originally.

--------------------
"We need our Bible Belt to hold up our Truth Trousers." -Grits

Posts: 350 | From: Massachusetts | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

Wow - I think that's the first time in rather a lot of posts I've actually been useful! [Yipee]

Glad to be of service. I eventually found him in the same place in two consecutive censii (?), so didn't need to go as far as the Puseum, but hopefully people will keep finding this, and being put in the right direction.

Thank you, everyone!

AG

--------------------

Pottage
Shipmate
# 9529

- Posted      Profile for Pottage   Email Pottage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Why is it no longer possible (in the UK at least) to buy bath enamel? Do they assume that no-one has an old enamel bath that they would rather repaint than replace? I have been to several hardware stores in the past couple of weeks but they don't seem to stock it or to be able to tell me why they don't.

These people might be able to help, though perhaps you've tried them already if you've been making some enquiries.

A few years ago we used a company called Bath Doctor (or something similar) and they did a pretty reasonable job of respraying the bath and sink without carting it all away or anything. That wasn't "enamelling" as such though, but some sort of paint job. They did it within a day, but they used some professional spray equipment - I'm not sure how practical it would be as a DIY project (I'm hopeless around the house so didn't even entertain the possibility!)

We had no trouble with the result though, but we did move about three years later so I don't know if it's a very good long term product. I just tried to find the company to see if they still exist but couldn't, though this company is one of a number offering the same service.

Posts: 701 | From: middle England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Yes, I know it's possible to get a company to do it for you, but you used to be able to buy the stuff and do it yourself, that was what I really wanted to do.

[Razz]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You still can.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
You still can.

Thanks, some of these look interesting!

--------------------

Scots lass
Shipmate
# 2699

- Posted      Profile for Scots lass   Email Scots lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hsa anyone ever enquired of Lambeth Palace about a Victorian clergyman? How much information do they have, and how long do they take to reply?

I'm hoping to find where one was living in 1855, which turns out to be three years before Crockfords started. If he's in the same place in the 1851 census as 1861 then I probably won't need to try Lambeth, but I thought I'd ask here anyway, just in case I ever need to look for anyone else.

Lambeth probably wouldn't have known anyway, they get asked that kind of question all the time and it's not something they can answer. (according to a friend who used to work there)

As for diocesan records, they are meant to be passed to the appropriate diocesan repository. Normally, that's the county record office, in London it's the London Metropolitan Archives.

Ok, I have no idea if that's any use to anyone at all, but I'm an archivist, I feel the need to say these things...

Posts: 863 | From: the diaspora | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pottage
Shipmate
# 9529

- Posted      Profile for Pottage   Email Pottage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Yes, I know it's possible to get a company to do it for you, but you used to be able to buy the stuff and do it yourself, that was what I really wanted to do.

[Razz]

Sorry, I'm quite literal sometimes. You can't re-enamel a bath yourself because you'd have to invest in a bath-sized kiln. But you can touch one up with paint by yourself quite readily if you've a mind, though a company with all the right kit might get a better finish. Quite by chance someone at work mentioned this today and reminded me of the question. He used the Tubby brand mentioned in the article Ariel linked to and apparently it worked fine but took him considerably longer than the 3 hours or so mentioned on the box. You can buy their bath treatment kit online if the hardware stores near you don't stock anything suitable.
Posts: 701 | From: middle England | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I was poking around in a little antique shop today, and I found a wonderful old pewter tea caddy. The hinge is broken, but I couldn't resist it anyway. It's lovely.

But I don't know if it's safe to store tea in it. I know old pewter has lead. But loose tea leaves wouldn't pick up any lead from the pewter, would they?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After a bit of googling, I learned that old pewter doesn't necessarily contain lead. Some does, some doesn't. Picked up a lead test kit recommended by Consumer Reports, and this particular tea caddy doesn't appear to have lead. So I'm going to store loose tea in it once I get it cleaned up!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pulsator Organorum Ineptus
Shipmate
# 2515

- Posted      Profile for Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Email Pulsator Organorum Ineptus   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Still water freezes over more readily than moving water because of the way the density of water varies with temperature.

As water cools, its density increases down to 4°C, so the normal state above this temperature is for the warmest water to rise to the top.

Below 4°C, water starts getting less dense again and thus more buoyant. This means that, in cold water, the temperature gradient reverses, so that the COLDEST water now rises to the top.

If the water is being cooled by cold air above it, the surface layer (which is already cold) gets colder, but it doesn't sink and thus doesn't mix with the warmer water below it. In essence then, in order to freeze over, the cold air only needs to cool the surface layer down to freezing point.

In a river, there is sufficient turbulence to prevent a temperature gradient occurring. The water is mixed up enough to be at the same temperature throughout its depth. Thus in order to freeze a river, you have to cool the entire depth of it to freezing point, not just a thin layer on the surface.

Posts: 695 | From: Bronteland | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pulsator Organorum Ineptus:
Below 4°C, water starts getting less dense again and thus more buoyant.

You know, I didn't know that. Thanks for a new bit of trivia.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a word for somebody who's been offered + accepted, but not yet taken up, a (fairly run-of-the-mill) job? (i.e. The equivalent of president elect, but more mundane - the deputy manager who's also the acting manager and has also now successfully applied for the manager's position, I don't really think of as the manager 'elect'.)

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
Is there a word for somebody who's been offered + accepted, but not yet taken up, a (fairly run-of-the-mill) job? (i.e. The equivalent of president elect, but more mundane - the deputy manager who's also the acting manager and has also now successfully applied for the manager's position, I don't really think of as the manager 'elect'.)

I think blah-de-blah-designate is the one I've seen most.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And now a question of my own to some of you in the U.S.A.

As we must all know by now the health services in our Great Nations are very different: most health care here is free at the point of treatment while most in the U.S.A is not; for the most part it is funded through commercial insurance schemes, often tied to employment.

As some of you may know our middle son had his appendix out about a week ago and it has been a rocky road since (he hasn't been in any great danger, but [Votive] [Votive] are still appreciated). He's been grumbling since about "this lousy NHS" so I'd like some idea of what it would have cost in the U.S.A. A rough figure will do, on the board or PM, I don't mind.

the menu is (so far)

Treatment and diagnosis in the emergency room
Diagnosis by specialist
Admission to pre-surgery ward
Moderately complicated appendectomy (general anaesthetic)
Admission to post-surgery ward
Three nights in ward, with (the notoriously basic) food and drink
Two home visits from district nurse to re-dress wound
Visit to see out-of-hours doctor at week-end clinic
Three visits to GP surgery
Readmission to post-surgery ward to see consultant with minor complicatiopn (wound opened up again): treatment again there.

I haven't included drugs and dressing for now, as these can be too variable.

It's quite a list: I doubt there would be any change from $6,000!

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Most Americans are covered by medical insurance and don't pay their own bills, or pay only 20%.

The people who have no money at all don't pay anything.

The ones who get it in the neck are those who have some money and no insurance. Many of the uninsured are healthy people in their 20s who assume that they are unlikely to have major medical expenses. Most of them win the gamble; some lose big time.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sioni Sais

Not a quote as such but just get him to read the costs on this discussion

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd like to buy a filter for a Canon DSLR - its the model 40D. Its a present so I don't want to ask the person what they want, I just wanted something they wouldn't have already got (they've just got the camera so I'm fairly sure they don't have any filters yet).

Would any canon filters fit the camera? Or does it have to be lens specific, and if so, how do I tell what lens type the camera is? For example, I'm looking at
this

My idea of cameras are point and click, so I'm WAY out of my depth...

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
Would any canon filters fit the camera? Or does it have to be lens specific, and if so, how do I tell what lens type the camera is? For example, I'm looking at
this

My idea of cameras are point and click, so I'm WAY out of my depth...

It depends on the size of the lens it's being fitted to. Different lenses are different diameters and you can't fit a 52mm filter to a 58mm lens.

Somewhere on the lens will be a circle with a line through it, and two numbers and "mm" denoting the size of the lens.

I buy a UV filter whenever I buy a new lens, especially as I do so much walking - if something's going to be viciously attacked by a tree, I'd rather it was a £20 filter than a £500 lens, because they have to be sent away to be fixed and it costs scary money.

Polarising filters are useful for photographing water, and things behind glass such as museum exhibits.

Star filters are great fun, and mean you can do things like this.

Soft-focus filters are good for portrait photography.

but before you can buy anything, find out what the diameter of the lens is.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Ferijen

The other option is if he already has a filter set like this, then to find out the make and get another filter in that range. There are I think only two brands that make square filters.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

Moo & Jengie Jon,

Thanks for the information. Looks like I was at least 100% out! I'll let him know.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have three extremely wizened apples. I do not have (yet) a composter or wormery to put them in.
If I was to hang them in a tree by their stalks, perhaps studded with some peanuts by way of a bribe, do people think that birds might eat them?
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do you have a piece of ground you can toss them on? That way, birds, mice, worms, insects and molds can all feed off them.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's a good point, I'm going for a walk this afternoon, so will take them with me. I didn't want to throw them near the house, cos it doesn't take much for people to start squeaking about rats and public health.
TG

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How long is it reasonable to expect a duvet case to last? [Confused] Our set has been in use less than 8 years and it seems to be disintegrating. The company's website goes on about "quality that lasts a lifetime", which suggests something longer to me.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016