homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I'd start this, as there have been rather geeky things going on e.g. here , on the Q&A thread. [Biased]

Can't keep us geeks from infiltrating profoundly reasonable and helpful down-to-earth threads? Now you can!

I suggest posting here, on Ancient Geek - The Computer Thread, with questions great and small, comments, observations, and of course as much (or as little!) geeky outbursts as ever you like.

Should be interesting. - Have fun. [Smile]

[ 01. January 2011, 09:40: Message edited by: Firenze ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, I best start myself here.

Somebody on the general Q&A wanted to get a new Logitech keyboard, and I then proudly (and geekily, let it be noted [Big Grin] ) stated that I was the happy owner of a Logitech G15 Gaming Keyboard.

It comes with cable (less chance of losing it...), is extremly sturdy and robust and undoubtedly the best keyboard I've ever had.

I'm not really into gaming, but the G15 has 3 times 18 freely programmable macro keys. I've put shortcuts of lots of programmes I regularly need on there, and it's still got space left! Certainly haven't yet used it to the max, and wonder if I ever will - but for me, that's the beauty of it.

Another feature are the blue backlit keys [Big Grin] , which are fabulous. You can turn the light off, and so the keys look a bit similar to the blank ones on 'Das Keyboard', mentioned on the other thread.

But that's not all. The G15 also has a small, programmable LCD screen that shows time and date, CPU and RAM usage, track played on some media software etc - whatever you want. You can play around with the stuff you want to put on there and program your own thingies, if you like.

So, over to you. More from me later - on my Logitech G5 Gaming Mouse [Roll Eyes] - that too the best I've ever used.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone happen to know anything about those filter thingys which you plug your broadband modem and telephone into? Mine seems to be shite, as I get loads of noise on my land line when the internet is connected, and my phone seems to break my connection when it automatically dials into my voicemail . Can I get myself a Better Filter, or are they all equally shite, and I just have to put up with it?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Nope, a friend on mine had that - best thing is to get another filter. And, BTW, you'll need one for each and every connection in your house/flat!

Every phoneline needs one. If not, you'll have just the interference problems you describe.

They're not very expensive in any case.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mine were bundled with the modem when I signed up the broadband. Maybe you can complain to your ISP and request a replacement?

Since I got my shiny lovely Macbook last year I haven't acquired any new techy toys.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Garfield
Ship's cat
# 1567

- Posted      Profile for Garfield   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, wondered how long it would take to get onto the computer-company-that-fell-from-a-tree here... I myself am a proud 'switcher' and couldn't be happier with my shiny iMac (specially since the student discount included a £100 rebate on my equally shiny iPod Nano [Smile] ).

--------------------
"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"
Faithless (the group, not my disposition)

Posts: 375 | From: Devon or Cardiff | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, fantastic idea - a dedicated thread for hardware! I am still tapping on my $10 kbd job, but hoping to get the time soon to acquire the too sexy by arf, Logitech MX5000 desktop.

Speaking of best of ever owned things: I am just gazing across at my Canon MP830 which is a beauteous thing to behold - I want for nothing more in terms of printer, scanner, copier and fax. It is so well put together, scanning direct to .pdf etc from the auto doc feeder with a full duplex scan and print. The interface is a joy (LCD display and menu driven) and it even prints CDs.

I may lose a little enthusiasm when I have to change the ink cartridges but we shall see!

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Nope, a friend on mine had that - best thing is to get another filter.

I organized my phone line that has the high-speed with all of the house connections coming to one filter, and a splitter to the modem. It's been more satisfactory since I did it that way.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like my 20" Dell widescreen LCD monitor running at proper resolution in dual display mode via DVI from my 12" Powerbook. Very slick. I thought the dual screen would be good for multimedia work (toolbars on the small screen, work on the big screen), but lately I've just been doing it all on the big screen.

Not having a new MacIntel with the built-in webcam, using a USB webcam with a slightly older Mac is a bit of a bumpy ride. I'm using Macam software and a Logitech Communicator STX webcam and it's a little flakey on OS 10.4.9

We've got cable broadband and a Linksys wireless router, and I must say, after fiddling around a bit initially to get the network to see the internet, a copy of MAC Address 101 wouldn't go astray in the broadband set up guide.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
fnk

Ship's Errand Boy
# 10377

- Posted      Profile for fnk   Email fnk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another Mac user clocking in here [Smile]

I have been a Mac User since 1993, and I'm a Macaholic. I'm pretty sure I could go for several days in a row without having to open the laptop - just to prove I can do it you see...

Hasn't OS X made life unbelievably easy?

--------------------
You can lead a horse to water,
but you can't make it enjoy the view

- Love This City, The Whitlams

Posts: 322 | From: Mainland Godzone | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone use Appleworks 6? If so, does anyone have any idea how to make the text colour palette a floating palette? I can't pull it off like I could in the old ClarisWorks - it just snaps back to the toolbar. I tried Squiggle + drag, alt + drag but no joy. It would be so handy to be able to do this.

Thanks!

[Deleted duplicate post -- Mamacita, Heavenly Host]

[ 31. May 2007, 05:11: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fnk:
Another Mac user clocking in here [Smile]

I'm pretty sure I could go for several days in a row without having to open the laptop - just to prove I can do it you see...

My G4 PB (and indeed my beloved Pismo PB) both seem to sleep then wake quite happily, but I find that sometimes the Bluetooth on the G4 doesn't work, requiring a restart to function.
My Pismo died a few months ago, and after much angst I repaired it by replacing the PSU board (under the trackpad). Much rejoicing - it's the nicest computer I've had, although it's getting on in years now.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I'm pretty sure I could go for several days in a row without having to open the laptop - just to prove I can do it you see...

I was without mine for a week last month. It was at the shop getting a new plastic top-where-the-keyboard-is thingy (wrist-rest discolouration issue)

It was disconcerting to wake up and not have iTunes playing and a browser helpfully announcing the day's weather forecast.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

fnk

Ship's Errand Boy
# 10377

- Posted      Profile for fnk   Email fnk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
My Pismo died a few months ago, and after much angst I repaired it by replacing the PSU board (under the trackpad). Much rejoicing - it's the nicest computer I've had, although it's getting on in years now.

I know how you feel. Some computers are just nice to have around.

We seem to be accumulating Macs at my place - I have a MB Pro for work, which is a speedy machine, we also have a 12" Powerbook G4 (still my favourite powerbook model), a Tang iMac, a 17" iMac flat panel, a Mac Plus for playing Fool's Errand, a IIcx for nostalgia reasons, and an Apple IIc (a family heirloom). I'm not really allowed to buy any more, but if a nice SE/30 came up then I would have to risk it [Smile]

I would have to think pretty seriously if someone gave me a choice between losing my leg, or my laptop. All my cool stuff is on my computer...

--------------------

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My G4 PowerBook sort of died last November (4 days into NaNoWriMo!) and so I replaced it with a SOny Vaio (running Fedora Core 6) because I fancied a change and couldn't quite afford the new Intel PowerBooks. It's since semi-ressurected but tends to hang/crash at random moments (I think the harddrive is knackered and when it hits a bad part of the disk it crashes). I keep saying I'll take it to an Apple shop and see if they can repair/replace the drive. But I've got my car's service tomorrow so not flush with cash right now. [Frown]

Anyhow I hardly miss it. I know that's heresy but the thing I liked most about it was that it was shiny and well-designed as far as the hardware goes and that OS X allowed me to run lots of open source software. I was using Firefox for web browsing. I did use Mail.app but it was all coming through popfile for spam filtering. I used tin and leafnode for usenet. NeoOffice for office stuff. Mplayer and VLC for playing media files.

So on Linux I use basically the same programs. Things I do miss include backlit keys, easy wireless network setup (got that working now but a kernel upgrade tends to kill it) and being able to play media on my TV via the TV-out. (I can do this on my Vaio too but the quality is not quite as good (though the Linux drivers are much better than Windows))

My current project though is my MythTV box which is changing the way I watch TV. Although I could really do with much more disk space, but that's more money so I'm waiting for the price of 750Gb Sata drive to fall to £100 or less, which I reckon it will by the end of the year.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mm. After telling all how fab and fantastic was the MP830, I find that it does not work... and it appears to be because of a faulty ink tank! Hmmmmm. There is a recognition chip in the ink tanks apparently which aids correct setting up (and use of original Canon consumables) and there have been problems with faulty chips.

So I currently have a half-full Magenta tank with the printer giving me a variety of error messages as to why this Magenta tank is evil lol and refusing to work - thwarting the scanning functions is a bit poor just because of an ink prob. Canon customer service have been good with other ppl reporting this prob I've heard, so I have sent them off a report. They better do the right thing or I shall have to sever the allegiance of a lifetime!!

I am peeved at the chipped ink tank though [Mad] I suppose there is a work around to use 3rd party tanks, or to refill the orig tanks (I can see what looks like a vent hole or bladder thru the plastic); since name brand consumables are quite pricey and I do not need the 100 yr guaranteed colour fast inks for photo printing that Canon provide!

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Hey, that sucks!

AFAIK, there's ways of refilling original ink tanks with non-original ink (but still of decent quality). Some use little syringes for it. You might check the web on that.

I've got two Canon inkjet printers myself, and that was a conscious decision: I've always thought that as handy and potentially fast an all-in-one machine could be, once it ain't working, well - it ain't working, and then you're done. No more printing, scanning and copying. In my experience, single machines work better and are less expensive to replace.

Jimmy B, you could google and see what solutions others have come up with. From what I know, electronic cartridge tagging is widespread, though I didn't know Canon are doing it as well!

I've been using alternative inks for my machines for a long time now, and all works very smoothly. For the rare very important document, I still use an original Canon black cartridge, as its ink doesn't smear or stain at all, which the cheaper inks might do (but to a minor extent only).

My machines are a 5-year-old Canon S600 and a rather recent Canon Pixma iP 4000. The former went bust some time ago, so I got the new one, but after replacing the printhead, it started working again, which was a nice surprise! And as it uses the same black cartridge as the new printer, I can use those on both.

The iP 4000 has this very posh double-sided printing feature and so saves quite a lot of paper too, not to mention the general Canon policy (?) of indiviual ink cartridges which can be changed separately. I quite like my machines, and never really had a problem with any of them. Luckily.

Hope you can sort out your problem soon, Jimmy! That chip thing is a real bore, I find.

[ 03. June 2007, 11:03: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Does anyone use Appleworks 6? If so, does anyone have any idea how to make the text colour palette a floating palette? I can't pull it off like I could in the old ClarisWorks - it just snaps back to the toolbar. I tried Squiggle + drag, alt + drag but no joy. It would be so handy to be able to do this.

Thanks!

Thought I'd post that again, Ladies and Gents. Any takers, please?

Thank you. [Cool]

(Afraid I'm an evil Windows person myself, so can't help - but might switch to Linux one day, rest assured. [Biased] )

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Yes, I've always refilled my tanks in the past. I buy the Calidad kits: never had any probs with the ink quality in my last Canon, and they also do colour refills. The kits come with a sort of butterfly screw that you work into the vent hole and make it large enough to insert the syringe that is attached to the kit.

I was thinking of going original Canon for the new printer, but they are $$$ for unnecessary features. I will prolly refill the originals; will see though. If I find someone doing the origs for a good price I will go that route.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is showing my strange take on computers. I know Chat has existed forever, but in the UK the University networks often banned it to stop unnecessary use of band width.

I have had little interest in it what so ever until now. I have two friends who are deaf both of whom I would quite appreciate the occasional chat with. Phoning is hopeless although with the one who has a mobile phone I have occasionally managed a text conversation.

If this is to happen I need to make the running as neither of the other two are as computer literate as I happen to be.

Requirements are a bit specialised:
1)Works on both PCs and Apple Macs
2)Does not require a camera, the Mac user has a camera, I may get one but the third will not.
3)VoIP can be clearly switched off or made unavailable to those who may wish to contact you via it. We want to talk through text medium as it levels the playing field.
4)Needs some degree of privacy i.e. these are close friends of mine, not the world in general.

3 is there because of the deafness of my friends. They both get frustrated with people trying to contact them by phone as there is very little chance of them hearing what is going on. VoIP would be worse than the phone.

I am just bewildered by what is out there.
Any suggestions where to begin?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Duke A
Shipmate
# 12669

- Posted      Profile for Duke A   Email Duke A   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I happen to like Yahoo! messenger myself, but it's a little evil in of itself. Keeps starting itself when my 'puter boots up, but that was easy to fix. Even then, it didn't take as much cpu time as AIM did. Startup is completely internet free, and only connects when you want it too. Privacy is good, cause you are totally invisible to the outside world if you want to be, and you can appear invisible while logged in too. The Mac version is a little behind the Windows version, but that's quite alright. About the only thing is that someone can call at anytime, but you have to accept it in order for them to talk to you. Denial is just a click away. It works exactly like regular phones actually. Call, it rings on the other end, and the person can pick up, or end the call whenever they wish. It even offers a voicemail option if the person on the other end doesn't pick up.

It's not the best, but it's pretty damn good.

--------------------
"I just walked into a flame war that got confused and decided to start playing sudoku all of a sudden ... what the hell?"

-C4Cypher

Posts: 68 | From: California | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Keeps evil aunts out.
[Devil]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Thanks!

Thank you. [Cool]

(Afraid I'm an evil Windows person myself, so can't help - but might switch to Linux one day, rest assured. [Biased] )

From memory, it's something like Show Accents from the Windows menu... but I've not used it for years so may be wrong!
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Duke A:
The Mac version is a little behind the Windows version, but that's quite alright.

On the Mac side, just use Adium -- it doesn't even support voice chat so you'd be using text only whatever [Smile]

BTW, even with a program that does support voice chat, you get an onscreen alert when someone tries to use it, and from there you can always click Deny.

Amorya

IngoB

Sentire cum Ecclesia
# 8700

- Posted      Profile for IngoB   Email IngoB   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dogwonderer:
Does anyone happen to know anything about those filter thingys which you plug your broadband modem and telephone into? Mine seems to be shite, as I get loads of noise on my land line when the internet is connected, and my phone seems to break my connection when it automatically dials into my voicemail.

I do not want to be insulting, but have you checked that you've plugged the filter in the right way around? It usually has little labels "line" and "phone" to tell you what to connect where. It won't work if it's the wrong way around.... And as somebody else already mentioned, all non-computer connections to the phone line must be filtered.

--------------------
They’ll have me whipp’d for speaking true; thou’lt have me whipp’d for lying; and sometimes I am whipp’d for holding my peace. - The Fool in King Lear

Posts: 12010 | From: Gone fishing | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged
Esmeralda

Ship's token UK Mennonite
# 582

- Posted      Profile for Esmeralda   Email Esmeralda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a Mac user with Apple Works 6. but I'm afraid I only ever use it for text (being a writer) so can't help you, Jahlove. I presume there's nothing in Help?

I upgraded from OS 10.2 recently to 10.4, and it is a definite improvement - far less crashing, though things are still slow sometimes for no obvious reason (I am on a 2001 G3, blue casing, not a modern flat screen, so that may be the reason). I also had to have a new shiny white keyboard a couple of weeks ago as the cat had chewed through the cable for the old one and it's not simple to replace!

Now I just need to bite the bullet and switch from Safari to Firefox, which will probably mean a lot of stuff that worked in IE6 but don't in Safari, will work again. But first I have to learn how to export my favourites.. I'm only semi computer literate really (it's all Geek to me), but thankfully I married a geek - he was then a computer consultant working with Vaxes - so I can get free support.

--------------------
I can take the despair. It's the hope I can't stand.

http://reversedstandard.wordpress.com/

Posts: 17415 | From: A small island nobody pays any attention to | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amorya:
quote:
Originally posted by Duke A:
The Mac version is a little behind the Windows version, but that's quite alright.

On the Mac side, just use Adium -- it doesn't even support voice chat so you'd be using text only whatever [Smile]

BTW, even with a program that does support voice chat, you get an onscreen alert when someone tries to use it, and from there you can always click Deny.

Amorya

I am loving Meebo!
Duke A's dad, my brother, is going to convert one of my creaky window machines to Linux, some flavor that starts with a "U". After I recover from my wisdom teeth ordeal.

The meebo is so great! I use it for yahoo/msn/aim/gmail/meebo widget. I leave it up in a tab in my firefox and it does not disturb any programs running to my knowledge (but I am not playing games like my nephew does, so his mileage may vary).

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Garfield
Ship's cat
# 1567

- Posted      Profile for Garfield   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Microsoft Messenger for Mac, but only because I'm a long-term MSN Messenger user so just wanted the easiest thing for me when I switched.

Mild tangent, does anyone else run Boot Camp, and therefore also run Windows/Linux on their Mac? Being relatively young and into games'n'stuff, it was a fairly big incentive for the switch - I now have Windows for the stuff that absolutely needs windows, and OS X for everything else.

Back to the Hardware stuff, does anyone know if/where I can get my hands on an external HDD enclosure that takes a SATA HDD and outputs Firewire? I've scoured the net and, apart from ridiculously expensive examples and a cheap Chinese hunk'o'junk, have drawn a blank.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As far as instant messengers go, I recommend Gaim, now renamed Pidgin. It interfaces with all the well known messengers (msn, yahoo, aol, icq, and something else) and it has no interest in taking over your computer.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the replies. In the end I have decided to go Pidgin. I seem to have a Yahoo account already!? I need to sort it out so it works with my email address. When I have done that I can then get my Mac friend sorted.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

quote:
Originally posted by Gwai:
As far as instant messengers go, I recommend Gaim, now renamed Pidgin. It interfaces with all the well known messengers (msn, yahoo, aol, icq, and something else) and it has no interest in taking over your computer.

Yes, but meebo runs entirely off the web browser. It installs NOTHING. Nada. So NOTHING to download.

It is truly wonderfully! It also keeps a history of all your conversations! It runs all the various chat clients all in one web browser -- (ICQ/AOL/MSN/YAHOO/GMAIL/and IT's OWN WIDGET for myspace). I am in love with it!

And no, I don't work for them, I am just excited about this chat thang.

I can surely run it in Linux when I go to Linux and give back the loaner mac to my brother. It runs in windows of course too. [Smile]

[eta: convert my peeps! Join us! [Angel] ]

[ 04. June 2007, 19:57: Message edited by: duchess ]

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

I have winxp running on Parallels. It's a bit sluggish but works ok enough. Possibly because I only give it 256mb ram. I tried giving it more but then the mac part slowed down unacceptably.

--------------------

Lowly Worm

Ship's Annelid
# 11663

- Posted      Profile for Lowly Worm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone write macros in Visual Basic (VBA) for Excel? If so, can you recommend any really basic (hahaha... pun sort of intended [Biased] ) resources to get me started?

I have some macros that someone else wrote and am trying to modify them. I need to understand what I'm doing first.

ty muchly,

lowly programmer

--------------------
"Be here now, be somewhere else later. Is that so difficult?" - David Bader

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
quote:

Thanks!

Thank you. [Cool]

From memory, it's something like Show Accents from the Windows menu... but I've not used it for years so may be wrong!
Amorya, may the Holy Choir Invisible sing thy praises &c. It Works!! YAY [Yipee] Thanks so much.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
fnk

Ship's Errand Boy
# 10377

quote:
Originally posted by Garfield:
I use Microsoft Messenger for Mac, but only because I'm a long-term MSN Messenger user so just wanted the easiest thing for me when I switched.

I tried GAIM, but then switched to Adium for MSN. The newest versions are pretty nice. I still spend most of my time in iChat because it's where all my contacts are.

We have been trying CrossTalk at work - it's even more seamless than Parallels. You just double-click a windows app and it runs in OS X like a Mac app. Bets anyone on how long before Apple buy it and integrate it into OS X? Or they might just steal it like the widgets/Konfabulator thing

--------------------

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

quote:
We have been trying CrossTalk at work - it's even more seamless than Parallels. You just double-click a windows app and it runs in OS X like a Mac app. Bets anyone on how long before Apple buy it and integrate it into OS X?

I doubt they will. If one can run Windows software seamlessly, what incentive is there to write Mac specific software?
Garfield
Ship's cat
# 1567

Precisely. Apple have integrated Boot Camp (the one where you can reboot into windows but not run Windows stuff in OSX in the next version of OSX; Leopard, so there's no real incentive to have an official Apple integration thingy.

To tell you the truth, I don't think my mind would be able to cope with the mix of Win/OSX on the same screen, and I only use Windows for games and the odd app that's Windows-only. I've also got a neat little doohickey that restarts your computer into Windows automatically (saves having to press alt at exactly the right time).

[ 06. June 2007, 17:16: Message edited by: Garfield ]

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dogwonderer:
Does anyone happen to know anything about those filter thingys which you plug your broadband modem and telephone into? Mine seems to be shite,

I have been having a sort out of our stash of unused computer parts and came across a SpeedTouch ADSL filter. I would be quite happy to pop it in the post to you.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
wesleyswig
Shipmate
# 5436

- Posted      Profile for wesleyswig   Author's homepage   Email wesleyswig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My my, what a corner of joy we have stumbled into.

I started off on an Acorn at school before getting a home BBC Basic (with tape drive) which then was eventually upgraded to a large 5 1/2" disk drive. Then I picked up a whole load of 2nd hand macs like
SE/30, LC 2 etc and eventually ended up with a nice shiny 12" Powerbook G4 of my own.

I have been very happy with the old powerbook until very recently when it decided it had 24 bad blocks on the Hard Disk and would fail all SMART tests. At the moment it is sitting with an erased hard disk but no OS as the system disks it thinks are scratched *sigh*. This came on top of the power lead faulting out so whilst waiting for a cheap one to come up on a certain popular online auction site, I have borrowed a friends.

Wondering what to do at the moment really... I'm on a crummy PC which I tried to install Ubuntu on but it wasn't having any of it.

Regards
John

--------------------
"I am still a Methodist, You can never get it's special glow out of your blood" Ellen Wilkinson
Read my ramblings

Posts: 878 | From: Chained to my desk.... | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any knowledgeable network / internet people, may you please take a look here? Thanks.
Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I thought I'd copy Ian Climacus post (see link above) here to facilitate people's thought process.

quote:
[Hosts: if this counts as 'homework', my apologies and please delete: I'm just at my wits' end and I hope someone here can help]

A few issues with our new website at work. As IT person, even though I wasn't involved with the new website, now the consultants have gone it's up to me to follow it up. And I, simple DBA/DB Developer I am, am stuck when it comes to the Internet and networking. Any help appreciated.

The issue: people at work cannot register using their work e-mail addresses, and the e-mails that are supposed to be sent from the website to a work e-mail address [such as when a customer fills in a contact form] are not reaching us. And I am getting a different story from each person I call.

One fellow, who is with the company that holds our domain registration is telling me he needs "A" records, but no-one else I call can give it to me. The people who developed it tell me they can't. The people who host the server our new website sits on tell me they can't give "A" record and that I need "MX" records, but no-one seems to be able to give those to me. The people who used to host our (old) website can't tell me anything. The people who look after our network say the issue is not at their end.

To make matter complicated, and I don't know if this has anything to do with it [as I can register with my web-based mail [yahoo] but not my work e-mail]: say my work e-mail is iclimacus@abc.com.au : our network support added the domain @def.com.au to our server, so if you send an e-mail to iclimacus@def.com.au it reaches iclimacus@abc.com.au The reason they did this was that our website is www.def.com.au, and the e-mail we set up was helpdesk@def.com.au -- but any e-mail sent from the website to helpdesk@def.com.au doesn't get through. Though if I sent an e-mail from ian_climacus@yahoo.com.au to helpdesk@def.com.au it does get through. Also, the website adds a dummy from address, so any mail sent from the website says it comes from noreply@def.com.au [which does not exist] and it sent to helpdesk@def.com.au

Hope this makes some sense: as those in the know can probably tell, I'm way out of my depth. But try telling the CEO that. And the consultants have move on.

Again, sorry if this comes under 'homework'.

Beats me. [Confused] - Any takers?

[ 09. June 2007, 12:22: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by wesleyswig:
[...] Wondering what to do at the moment really... I'm on a crummy PC which I tried to install Ubuntu on but it wasn't having any of it.

Regards
John

I have been wondering about Ubuntu too, just as my dear namesake. [Biased]

Does anyone here have any experience with Linux and/or Ubuntu?

How practical are they?

I'm not likely to switch in the near future, but might do at some time. My main concern is the many lovely programmes and gadgets and documents that work perfectly (?) well under Win XP. I would not want to give up on those, if ever possible... - Comments?

--------------------

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

quote:
quote:
We have been trying CrossTalk at work - it's even more seamless than Parallels. You just double-click a windows app and it runs in OS X like a Mac app. Bets anyone on how long before Apple buy it and integrate it into OS X?

I doubt they will. If one can run Windows software seamlessly, what incentive is there to write Mac specific software?
Reasonable point, but remember, lots of people seem to like using and writing Mac programs. I personally find the apparent small range of Mac applications (compared with Windows) to be a blessing - I can find one little utility that does the job perfectly and I don't have to wade through the myriad of trial/shareware Windows versions to find the one that does the job. For example - Carbon Copy Cloner.
Also, short of Mac OS and Windows becoming the same thing - and I understand that the Intel chip technology blurs a lot of lines that were once explained by `emulation' - people will want to use applications that make the best use of all this computer power we can buy these days. To run a Windows application in Mac OS X might appear (perhaps psychologically, at least) to be a less efficient use of resources than if running a program on its native platform.

The fact that Adobe have released (not before time) the Creative Suite for OS X on a MacIntel or PPC machine (as opposed to running it under Windows on said MacIntel or with Rosetta emulation) suggests there is life in the OS X platform yet - although a pragmatist might argue that CS2 was due for an update anyway and designing in MacIntel support was a mandatory by-product.

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[...] Wondering what to do at the moment really... I'm on a crummy PC which I tried to install Ubuntu on but it wasn't having any of it.

Regards
John

How practical are they?

I'm not likely to switch in the near future, but might do at some time. My main concern is the many lovely programmes and gadgets and documents that work perfectly (?) well under Win XP. I would not want to give up on those, if ever possible... - Comments?

Don't change for change's sake.

Here's my analysis.

Linux is brilliant, wonderful, superb, technically massively superior to Windows, etc. etc. However, it will not supplant Windows in the near future, and it's not just the issue of applications - name an application and a Linux bod will be able to tell you a superior Linux version of it.

The difference is this. If you take your nice new home version of MS Office back home, and put it on your XP or Vista PC, it will work. If you have a problem, it's almost certain to have happened before, and a quick Google search will find you a solution that you can understand and implement.

On Linux, IME, there is a much greater chance that a given piece of software will not like one component of your particular distro version. You can google the problem, and come up with a solution. However, it is likely that unless you are a Linux geek, you will not be able to understand the explanation or understand how to implement the solution.

You're likely to get something like this:

"I had this issue on a 7.56 RedHat Distro, and eventually traced it to a section of the hjkfsre.conf file. I grepped through the directory (after running man on the command) and found the lines:

[Freggle]
uptoten=30
downhill=90

So I upped the dengine parameter six, and modified the config file. Then I downloaded the new ghkernel tar and expanded it into the right place, recompiled ghderse.c, put the right libraries at the top and voila! Problem solved. I'd try that if I were you."

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

quote:
Originally posted by aj:
Reasonable point, but remember, lots of people seem to like using and writing Mac programs.

True -- I like it myself. But big businesses like Adobe wouldn't see it that way [Frown]
Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

- Posted      Profile for Lumpy da Moose   Email Lumpy da Moose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Regards
John

How practical are they?

I, too, have a very little Linux experience, and like Karl, I'd second his advice-- don't change for the sake of change.

Most of the software I use isn't readily available, if at all, for Linux. As for "Office" type stuff, you can use Open Office and it will both open and save as MS Office compatible files, though I'm not sure about the Access/MySQL database part of it.

As for Ubuntu, I found that the install was very simple and the interface was friendly. But, the 64-Bit version really didn't care for the hardware I have in the machine. The 32-bit version worked fine. If you have a spare old machine that you can play with and try the different distros, have at it. I am NOT a Linux geek and if I have to go in and reconfigure stuff, I'm way over my head.

In the course of my job, we have 2 machines at work that use an older version of Linux, and we had to have out-of-town pros set them up-- this was not for the lame of heart. We run some proprietary coloration and printing software on these, and fortunately they do work fairly well and have maybe crashed twice in 3 years and that was because I did something stupid.

A lot of Linux can be fun and it works well. Getting software installed can be tricky and the people in help forums will not help you unless you've made at least some effort to research the problem and find a solution. My biggest gripe is that I just don't know the software catalog that well, what works, what doesn't. It can be a briarpatch.

In our workplace, I don't think Linux is even close to replacing Windows. People are unhappy with change, and even though it can look a lot like Windows, it ain't the same. Just don't expect it to replace XP.

Ubuntu isn't any fonder of crummy old 486 computers than is Windows XP. You still need a decent platform to run a modern Linux distro.

That's my 5¢ (my advice is usually 2¢, except when I'm wearing my IT hat) [Biased]

--------------------
member, Our Ladye of the Bandwidthe and All Angels

Posts: 1035 | From: Gulf Coast, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
Reasonable point, but remember, lots of people seem to like using and writing Mac programs.

True -- I like it myself. But big businesses like Adobe wouldn't see it that way [Frown]
Not sure, really. Sooner or later - when the marketing spin becomes impotent and people have chosen a side - companies have to give the users what they want, not necessarily what Bill Gates says we need, so two-platform support appears to remain sensible. Adobe have maintained OS X support in their line-up of [former] Macromedia stuff, anyway.

Anyway...it's Adobe's peril.

I am attracted to the slightly subversive idea of running designed-for-Windows applications independently of Windows OS, though. Virtual PC can be such a dog on my PPC machine.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Many thanks to Karl: Liberal Backslider and Lumpy Da Moose for your advice about switching (or not, as the case may be) from Windows to Linux. [Overused]

You got some very helpful points there. I guess I'll better really wait until I'll be ready for a bit of experimenting. I'm not in any hurry anyway. Sounds interesting. Good food for thought. - Thank you!

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help needed with an audio recording question.

I have recently been transferring all my CDs onto my PC so that I can carry my favourite tracks around with me on my MP3 player. Having done that successfully I now want to copy all my old cassettes. I have all the necessary hardware and have set it up successfully - cable with one end plugged into the microphone socket on the stereo, other end plugged into the blue line-in on the computer. Using the free Audacity software to record. I can record successfully - the only problem is that no sound comes out of the PC speakers so I have no way of telling when I get to the end of one track so I can stop the recording and save the track. The speakers work normally all the rest of the time. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With Audacity you can trim sound file very easily. If you still have the insert card that has the timings of the songs on the tape then you could record for a bit longer than the song lasts, stop the recording, and then trim the excess. Then rewind the cassette and start the process again.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016