homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not sure if I should be posting this in Hell. I'm running AVG's anti-viral software as recommended by kind shipmates a year or two ago. I've just had my peaceful internet browsing commandeered by something claiming to be 'Microsoft AV' which took over my IE pages, asked me if I wanted it to run, ran anyway even though I'd said 'No', informed me I had dangerous spyware and should download some new piece of software - I'm guessing this one came at a price, but I didn't investigate - then started trying to download it.

I had to temporarily shut down IE to stop it, because when I tried to top it, I got the message "Do you really want to close this down" and the answers Yes, No and Cancel all seemed to have the same effect - i.e. none.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's highly likely that it's a virus, or malware, spyware or something similar. Don't click on any more buttons in the program, or try to close it with the regular close button. In fact, leave it completely alone.

You could try killing it using task manager, but otherwise run a virus scan using your regular software and see if it picks it up.

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kuru just had a nasty c000021a crash [Frown] Fixed now. [Yipee]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a laptop that was a gift from someone who was going to get rid of it anyway.

I bought a new printer and behold...I need to install a program from a CD to get the printer up and running. I have though no CD player. [Frown]

Laptop has OS Win 2000...the printer is a Canon Pima Mp610.

I can not find anything online to install this program.

not sure what to do next. [Confused]

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮
Ship of Fools-World Party

Posts: 11197 | From: Do you know the way? | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's a driver advertised for download here (no guarantees as to site reliability). The printer's minimum system requirements say Win2000 but this driver says XP, don't know if it will work.

Btw I think the reason you couldn't find anything may have been your spelling. I had to capitalize the MP610 before finding anything using Google. [ETA and, perhaps more importantly, it appears to be a piXma!]

[ 27. July 2008, 06:06: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Canon USA have Pixma MP610 drivers to download
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I tried downloading Windows SP2. After 45 minutes it said it had finished downloading and to close all programs so it could install itself.

I closed all programs, but the only way to get rid of the no-longer-needed dialogue box, as it wasn't responding to the X in the top left hand corner, was to press Cancel. I did this and now apparently I've lost the entire download.

Going back to the site again this morning it has listed SP2 under my Update History as "Cancelled", and no longer offers this as an option for download.

Yesterday it took me 45 minutes of searching round the Microsoft website and scrolling through lists of results to find that I should be on the Updates page if I wanted to download it. Now I don't know what to do. The Downloads page doesn't bring it up and a search on the site brings up something like 3142 results for associated material. The program may be in there but the thought of scrolling through all the search results doesn't inspire.

Any advice? I'm beginning to think it isn't worth the hassle just so that I can continue to run AVG, so if anyone can recommend a good free anti-virus software that would be fine with me too.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Whats the problem with AVG then? Which version of windows are you using? (I'm still using free AVG on my desktop machine and hadn't noticed a problem, but this is ancient and still uses Win98SE)

On my new laptop (which I'm mostly using these days since my operation) which runs Vista, I'm using the free Avast antivirus. Seems to be OK although all I've seen it doing is updating itself each day, hasn't actually found anything. But thats probably a good thing!

[ 27. July 2008, 13:22: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Whats the problem with AVG then? Which version of windows are you using? (I'm still using free AVG on my desktop machine and hadn't noticed a problem, but this is ancient and still uses Win98SE)

The problem is that they've issued a new version of AVG which isn't compatible with anything less than Windows SP2. Which I don't yet have and am told I must get to run this.

They're still issuing free updates to the previous version of AVG despite also issuing a series of reminders about various deadlines (which have been extended twice). You'll probably need to think about whether you want to upgrade, too, if you're still running Win98.

I may just go for a different anti-virus package, it would be simpler.

duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

- Posted      Profile for duchess   Email duchess   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Canon USA have Pixma MP610 drivers to download

Thanks Eutychus and BroJames. I've downloaded. but now am trying to figure out (pls don't laugh, am serious) how to connected my printer to my old laptop. There is a USB port. I know There is also something that opens on the side that looks like two areas to plug in as well...marked SD MM M on the right and CF on the other. I hate being so stupid in this area. I hate myself for buying this printer. Will ask my brother eventually but if anybody knows what would be used to connect, let me know. Also need to figure out ink cartridges.

Argh.

--------------------
♬♭ We're setting sail to the place on the map from which nobody has ever returned ♫♪♮

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There is also something that opens on the side that looks like two areas to plug in as well...marked SD MM M on the right and CF on the other
Duchess, these holes will be for you to poke memory cards (the sort you'd put in a digital camera) into, not plugs. Try the USB port.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Pixma should have come with a USB lead - one end looks radically different to the other, so it's hard to get them mixed up (the squarer end in the printer, the rectangular end in the computer). If not, hi to a computer shop and say you need a USB lead for your printer. It'll cost no more than a few dollars.

Also, you should load up your printer software before plugging the printer into your computer - the latter is best done with both the printer and the computer on so one can find the other.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
duchess

Ship's Blue Blooded Lady
# 2764

Alban, good to know! Thx.
Doc Tor, I am still looking for this usb lead. will keep looking and then go to Fry's if it can't be found. I did put the software on the computer...when I click on it, it says "the printer that supports myprinter can't be found"

--------------------

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
it says "the printer that supports myprinter can't be found"

This is a Good Sign™. It means the computer knows it should be there and is actively looking for it.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
The problem is that they've issued a new version of AVG which isn't compatible with anything less than Windows SP2.

Windows what SP2?

quote:

I may just go for a different anti-virus package, it would be simpler.

AVG is one of the simplest to use.

Most of them are not going to work with very outdated operating systems because they rely on having recent security fixes installed. Running virus and spam checkers on insecure OS is a bit like putting double locks on your upstairs windows while leaving your downstairs ones open all night.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by duchess:
Alban, good to know! Thx.
Doc Tor, I am still looking for this usb lead. will keep looking and then go to Fry's if it can't be found. I did put the software on the computer...when I click on it, it says "the printer that supports myprinter can't be found"

Canon have a load of downloadable documentation on this page - you may need to scroll down to see the links. These should help with basics like what leads you ought to have and where to plug them in.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

I've done a search and can't find any help there - so does anyone have a suggestion?

Whategver it is, try to fix it with the computer out of the network. Pull the cable, turn the wireless base station off....

....In a world that includes Vista that pretty much boils down to "Don't try this at home, folks!"

Thank you Ken for such a detailed response - it's much as I feared! When I initially went into regedit it was with trepidation, and suspect that I removed too much. I work in a technical environment and colleague who is more techy than I am has offered to have a go at sorting it out. Meanwhile I'm so glad that I have an alternative laptop to get my internet "fix" from!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, it is worse than it first appeared to be.... although not the end of the world. It wasn't what I did in regedit after all but a separate virus (even though I had the latest update from a respected checker) that has blocked all access even to admin. Currently a colleague is rebuilding (or will be when I find where the XP licence key is!) so I can reinstall software and see if the backup I've been doing onto a stand-alone hard drive allows me to recover my treasures from it. aaaarrrrggghhh
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well (after reinstalling my modem and a few other things), I finally gave up and took my computer to professionals. They cleaned up several viruses (apparently I didn't have AVG configured optimally) and fixed hundreds of registry errors. But the problem I brought it in for is unchanged (which I only discovered after I brought it home).

To wit: My dialup modem dials and connects, as indicated by the sounds it makes and the taskbar icon. But Firefox will not load any pages. Device manager indicates the modem is working properly. But when I query the modem while it is connected, I get a message that the COM port is being used by another application, when this is obviously not the case. Web searches about this indicate that the fix is to get into Device Manager and tinker with the advanced port settings. But when I click on "Advanced" in port settings I am told that I must have "write privileges in the registry" to change advanced port settings (and I have tried this from both my regular account and from the main administrator account).

This seems to be a common problem--I've found four computer advice websites where someone asked about it, and all had different solutions (none of which worked for me, and some of which clearly didn't work for the people asking the question, resulting in very snippy exchanges between advice seekers and givers).

Any suggestions?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can we rule out the simple first.

You are logged on as supervisor aren't you? You will need it to edit the registry.

For security purposes, you are advised to have a supervisor account and a user account. Most of the time you are logged in as a user, but when you need to do things like install software you log in as supervisor.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Apple Mac query here, also posted on OZNZ thread.

Last night I isynced all my phone contacts into my new Nokia 6300. Done in a flash. Tried to export my google calendar but it seems there are "issues." Most of the stuff I can find about this seems to be about 15 months old. Whizzkid son is very busy at the moment and I didn't want to bother him.

It will work if I use iCal, but I would rather use Google calendar. Prefer format and entry capabilities.

I used to be technically able, back in the days of XPs and ATs, (eons ago), but am now easily out of my depth, especially with the Mac.

There are several Macs and a a couple of Apple laptops on network here at home as well as a server. It could well be that there is something I could use available here already, but nothing seems to show up.

Am running Safari, not Leopard.

Any ideas?

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
It will work if I use iCal, but I would rather use Google calendar. Prefer format and entry capabilities.

Not sure I can help with anything else, but I know you can synch Google calendar with iCal
Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Ecu, but I'll still have to get son to have a look. I printed out the relevant section from link and thought it looked easy. My iCal Preferences do not have the option of starting another calendar, only general and advanced. He's promised me a hand tomorrow.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

saxineno
Shipmate
# 735

- Posted      Profile for saxineno   Email saxineno   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh, my UB40 CD has somehow got stuck in the CD slot of my Intel Macbook. When I hit eject it tries, makes an ill motorized noise and gives up. Any ideas how I can just get the CD out of the drive?

David

[EDIT - thought I should point out that UB40 is just the band and not some strange computer code]

[ 15. August 2008, 20:22: Message edited by: saxineno ]

Posts: 118 | From: Coventry | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jen.

Godless Liberal
# 3131

- Posted      Profile for Jen.   Email Jen.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by saxineno:
Argh, my UB40 CD has somehow got stuck in the CD slot of my Intel Macbook. When I hit eject it tries, makes an ill motorized noise and gives up. Any ideas how I can just get the CD out of the drive?

David

[EDIT - thought I should point out that UB40 is just the band and not some strange computer code]

It's a SIGN* from above about UB40.

Is there a manual 'eject' type hole you could try sticking an unbent paper clip into?

J

*not sure what it's a SIGN of, but it's definately a SIGN

--------------------
Was Jenny Ann, but fancied being more minimal.

Posts: 5318 | From: Manchester, England | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Problem fixed syncing iCal and gCal. Differing iCal software version and preferences from that in link. Son took about two minutes to set up what both I and DIL had tinkered with for a long time.

[ 16. August 2008, 00:26: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought I had seen this here, but now I can't find it.

When I'm working in an Excel spreadsheet, I want the first column to stay in place as I work across the page. I know there's a way to keep that column from moving as others move over and eventually disappear off the page. (Does this make sense?)

Any suggestions?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pagwidgeon, you want to freeze panes. It's in the Windows drop down menu, assuming you're using 2003 or earlier. I have no idea where it is in 2007. You select the row below or column to the right of where you want the split to appear and click on freeze panes

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Curiosity killed... that did it!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
saxineno
Shipmate
# 735

- Posted      Profile for saxineno   Email saxineno   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenny Ann:

It's a SIGN* from above about UB40.

Is there a manual 'eject' type hole you could try sticking an unbent paper clip into?

*not sure what it's a SIGN of, but it's definately a SIGN

'Fraid not, and I've tried all the options listed in the help menu of how to eject a CD. It could indeed be a sign, my itunes always used to crash on a particular hillsongs song as well.

Ah well, might mean another embarrassing trip to the apple store.

Posts: 118 | From: Coventry | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK here's a new challenge for the geeks. A home network problem.

Before we recently installed a wireless router (to provide a connection for my new laptop) we had (and still have) a 4 port wired modem/router, which also has a USB connection. All 5 connections were in use - the USB connected it to the oldest PC which runs Win98, and the 4 Ethernet ports connected to two PCs running WinXP , one PC running Vista, and a Microsoft XBox360. (Yes I know thats an awful lot of computers for one family...) The printer is connected to the Win 98 PC (via USB) and in the original set up it was possible to print from the Win98 PC and also from the two XP machines. (Never managed to get network printing working for Vista with this setup, but that's irrelevant to my current problem)

The wireless router now resides between the wired router and one of the XP machines, connected to both via ethernet. Since installing this wireless router it has not been possible for that XP machine to print, using the network printer described above.

Should it be possible to configure it to do so (I've tried the obvious), and if so please can someone talk me through it.

For bonus points if anyone knows whether Vista PC's should be able to access a network printer attached to a Win98 machine, I would also be interested in how that should be set up. It would save my son having to save his homework on a memory stick, then having to plug it into the ancient slow Win98 machine to print his work!!

[ 19. August 2008, 11:14: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re Macbook disk eject issues, you may wish to try the following:

• Restart then try again.
  • Restarting the computer whilst holding down the trackpad mouse button.
  • Pressing eject whilst holding the Macbook at an angle (so the CD drive is pointing downwards, and gravity is giving it a hand...) - (Seriously)
  • Pressing Function Eject (fn key in bottom left corner).

Or some combination of the above, if none of them work you can use the terminal to force an eject sometimes, but I am not entirely sure how to do so.

General warning, never insert the following into your Mac: disks with paper labels; irregular sized disks; warped disks; excessively scratched disks. If you have to use something of that nature use a tray loading drive

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The cursor in Word 2003 has just changed from something (underscore?) to a dot. I don't like the dot. Anyone know how to change cursor style in Word 2003?
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

So no one can help with my network problem then?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
The cursor in Word 2003 has just changed from something (underscore?) to a dot. I don't like the dot. Anyone know how to change cursor style in Word 2003?

Check your Zoom setting (window to the right of center on the toolbar that has a percentage number in it). It may be set to 10%. Try setting it to a larger number.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
So no one can help with my network problem then?

quote:
Before we recently installed a wireless router (to provide a connection for my new laptop) we had (and still have) a 4 port wired modem/router, which also has a USB connection. All 5 connections were in use - the USB connected it to the oldest PC which runs Win98, and the 4 Ethernet ports connected to two PCs running WinXP , one PC running Vista, and a Microsoft XBox360. (Yes I know thats an awful lot of computers for one family...) The printer is connected to the Win 98 PC (via USB) and in the original set up it was possible to print from the Win98 PC and also from the two XP machines. (Never managed to get network printing working for Vista with this setup, but that's irrelevant to my current problem)

The wireless router now resides between the wired router and one of the XP machines, connected to both via ethernet.

That's where you lose me. Why is the wireless router connected to the XP machine? It should be necessary only to connect the wireless router to one of the ports of the "wired router" (which I assume is actually a hub). You need either a larger hub, with more than 4 ports, or you need to let as many PCs as are able to do so connect to your network via wireless cards instead of via wired connections to the hub.

And do tell me that you've secured the wireless hub with a robust password, and that you're using encrypted connections. Otherwise you've extended a personalized engraved invitation to hack their way into your network to anyone in your neighborhood who knows (or can guess) the brand of wireless hub you're using. And believe me, they'll take you up on your invitation.

quote:
Since installing this wireless router it has not been possible for that XP machine to print, using the network printer described above.

Should it be possible to configure it to do so (I've tried the obvious), and if so please can someone talk me through it.

Please define "the obvious." Can the non-printing PC ping the IP address of the PC to which the printer is attached? Remember: "It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping." Provided it can ping the printer's PC, and provided the printer has been properly shared and installed on the non-printing PC (which I assume it has been, since it was able to print before the wireless switch was installed), then you should be good to go.

quote:
For bonus points if anyone knows whether Vista PC's should be able to access a network printer attached to a Win98 machine, I would also be interested in how that should be set up. It would save my son having to save his homework on a memory stick, then having to plug it into the ancient slow Win98 machine to print his work!!

I don't no nothin' 'bout no Vista, Miss Scarlett, nor do I care to after experiencing it firsthand.

Have you considered moving the printer to one of the XP machines?

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

The wireless router sits between the hub and the XP machine because that was the way the instructions told me to install it. As well as being a wireless router it too has 4 wired ports, and one of these goes to the XP machine, this maintaining the wired connection to that machine.

Yes we have set up security (WPA-2)with a password on the network.

Remind me how to 'Ping' a machine.

I've been into Printers on the control panel on the XP machine, and the printer is shown as an icon, but as soon as I click on it to show properties or anything it says printer not found on server. Tried to use the wizard to add a new printer, but it doesn't find one. That's what I meant by the obvious.

Nice idea to connect the printer to a different machine, but the cable would not be long enough to stretch to where the printer is. And no room to move the printer. And it was a right pain to set up in the first place so I feel if I unplug it and try and connect it elsewhere, it won't work at all.

--------------------

Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, here's a challenge for you:

Several years ago, I purchased an old Compaq Presario laptop to use for typing school reports, etc. It has a CD-ROM, a 3.5" floppy, and a modem, but no USB or eithernet ports. It does have a slot for a PCI card. It runs Windows 98 (Not SE). I cannot get either of my two PCI network cards to work on this computer because the drivers are for 98SE, and this is the older version.

The problem is that I have quite a few files that I want off of that hard drive before it finally dies. However, my new PC doesn't have a 3.5" floppy drive. Because the PCI cards won't work, I cannot connect the older computer to the network. I haven't used a dial-up ISP since '00 or '01, so I think using the modem is out.

I performed surgery a few minutes ago and determined that the hard drive will not plug into my desktop because the wiring is different. The serial bus is too small for the desktop, and the power plugs are different as well.

Ideas?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barefoot Friar

Ship's Shoeless Brother
# 13100

- Posted      Profile for Barefoot Friar   Email Barefoot Friar   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gracious Rebel:

Two ideas that pop into my mind are:
  1. Purchase a device that will enable the printer to access the network, either wired or wireless. This doomaflatchy is what I had in mind. They're far cheaper now than the last time I looked for one.
  2. Get a longer printer cable. If it's USB, you can purchase extensions. I think there is a limit to how far you can extend it, though.
Does this help?

--------------------
Do your little bit of good where you are; its those little bits of good put together that overwhelm the world. -- Desmond Tutu

Posts: 1621 | From: Warrior Mountains | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
The wireless router sits between the hub and the XP machine because that was the way the instructions told me to install it. As well as being a wireless router it too has 4 wired ports, and one of these goes to the XP machine, this maintaining the wired connection to that machine.

I think the instructions may not have anticipated your network configuration. It's beginning to sound to me like you may have some IP address conflicts. If both the wired hub and the wireless hub are acting as DHCP servers (meaning they're assigning IP addresses to PCs and printers plugged into them), they may both be handing out the same range of IP addresses. No two devices on a network may have the same IP address. Under most circumstances there should only be one DHCP server on a network, although in your case the wireless hub has to hand out DHCP addresses to PCs connecting to it wirelessly. Despite what the instructions say, I would not plug a PC into the wireless hub. I would only plug the wireless hub into the wired hub.
quote:
Remind me how to 'Ping' a machine.
On the PC to which the printer is connected, click Start > Run and type cmd and click OK. If that doesn't work, type command and click OK. Then, at the command prompt, type ipconfig and press ENTER. This will show you the IP address of the PC, which should look something like 192.168.1.100.

Then, from the PC that is having trouble accessing the printer, access a command prompt as above. At the command prompt, type ping 192.168.1.100 and press ENTER. (Substitute the actual IP address of the first PC as determined above.)

You will either get four lines of a reply, or you will get four lines reading "request timed out."
quote:
Nice idea to connect the printer to a different machine, but the cable would not be long enough to stretch to where the printer is. And no room to move the printer. And it was a right pain to set up in the first place so I feel if I unplug it and try and connect it elsewhere, it won't work at all.
Nevertheless, it would be a practical solution to your problem. The printer should not be difficult to install. As soon as you connect it to a different PC, the PC should recognize it as a plug-and-play device and present you with a list of brand names and model names of printers to choose from. (If the brand and model are not on the list, then you may have to download a driver from the Internet.) Once the printer has been installed, you should be able to share it. Once it is shared, then other PCs will see it via Start > Settings > Printers and Faxes > Add Printer > Network Printer.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

Just tried the Ping and it worked. (I got the 4 lines of response).

However the IP address didn't look like the sort that you quoted. When I did the ipconfig I actually got 2 sets of results, for '0 ethernet adaptor' and '1 ethernet adaptor'. For each it gave IP address, Subnet mask, and Default Gateway. The first set were 0.0.0.0 fir the first 2 items and blank for the Default gateway. The second set were 10.0.0.7, 255.0.0.0, and 10.0.0.2 respectively. These do not look like 'internet' IP addresses to me (can't remember the proper term) but sort of 'relative' IP addreses. So not sure how valid a test it was.

(by the way when I did ipconfig on the XP machine, it showed a proper IP address beginning 192, and the title referred to Belkin, the wireless hub manufacturer)

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Just tried the Ping and it worked. (I got the 4 lines of response).

However the IP address didn't look like the sort that you quoted. When I did the ipconfig I actually got 2 sets of results, for '0 ethernet adaptor' and '1 ethernet adaptor'. For each it gave IP address, Subnet mask, and Default Gateway. The first set were 0.0.0.0 fir the first 2 items and blank for the Default gateway. The second set were 10.0.0.7, 255.0.0.0, and 10.0.0.2 respectively.

That means you have two ethernet cards in the PC. The first one is not connected to anything, which is why you're getting zeroes for ipconfig. The second one has an address of 10.0.0.7 and is connected to a hub that has an address of 10.0.0.2. For our purposes, "gateway" and "hub" mean the same thing.
quote:
These do not look like 'internet' IP addresses to me (can't remember the proper term) but sort of 'relative' IP addreses. So not sure how valid a test it was.
Addresses that begin with 10, 192 or 172 are used only for internal network purposes. They cannot be used for anything "out there" on the web. Websites must use addresses that begin with a different number. The address of shipoffools.com, for example, begins with 69. So your PC with an address of 10.0.0.7 is perfectly OK.
quote:
(by the way when I did ipconfig on the XP machine, it showed a proper IP address beginning 192, and the title referred to Belkin, the wireless hub manufacturer)
Referring to what I wrote above, addresses beginning with 192 are perfectly OK for internal use.

So let me be sure I understand. You are saying that the PC plugged into the wired hub (the PC with the printer attached to it) has an address of 10.0.0.7, and that the PC plugged into the wireless hub has an address beginning with 192. And that from the PC with the 192 address, if you try to ping 10.0.0.7 you get a reply? Is this correct?

Also, could you let me know the full results of ipconfig for the PC with the 192 address. In other words, what is the full address and what is the address of the gateway. Thanks.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:

So let me be sure I understand. You are saying that the PC plugged into the wired hub (the PC with the printer attached to it) has an address of 10.0.0.7, and that the PC plugged into the wireless hub has an address beginning with 192. And that from the PC with the 192 address, if you try to ping 10.0.0.7 you get a reply? Is this correct?

Yes this is correct
quote:

Also, could you let me know the full results of ipconfig for the PC with the 192 address. In other words, what is the full address and what is the address of the gateway. Thanks.

IP address 192.168.2.2
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.2.1

I wanted to try it for the laptop (Vista) as well, (the one using the wireless connection) just out of curiosity, but can't see how to get a command prompt in Vista!!

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
I wanted to try it for the laptop (Vista) as well, (the one using the wireless connection) just out of curiosity, but can't see how to get a command prompt in Vista!!

I think it's Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

OK. Now, can you also ping the other way around? That is, try pinging the XP PC (the one that has the 192.168.2.2 address) from the PC with the printer attached (the one that has the 10.0.0.7 address)?

[ 24. August 2008, 20:55: Message edited by: Amanda B. Reckondwythe ]

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

OK tried that (pinging the other way), and it timed out.

[ 24. August 2008, 21:34: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

OK. So the problem is that the XP PC can see the Win98 PC, but for some reason the Win98 PC cannot see the XP PC.

At the command prompt on the Win98 PC, type tracert 192.168.2.2 and press ENTER. This will show the route taken by the Win98 PC to try to connect to the XP PC. It will show us the point at which the route is failing.

Meanwhile, what brand and model of printer is it? Does the printer have an Ethernet port as well as a USB port?

On the XP PC, is the operating system XP Home Edition or XP Professional?

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

I've PM'd you the results of the tracert. Most of the 30 lines showed 'Request timed out' but 3 of them had some details in.

The XP machine is running XP Home edition.

The Printer is Hewlett Packard Deskjet 970Cxi. Pretty sure it doesn't have an ethernet port.

Thanks very much by the way for all these suggestions of things to try!

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
Several years ago, I purchased an old Compaq Presario laptop to use for typing school reports, etc. It has a CD-ROM, a 3.5" floppy, and a modem, but no USB or eithernet ports. It does have a slot for a PCI card. It runs Windows 98 (Not SE). I cannot get either of my two PCI network cards to work on this computer because the drivers are for 98SE, and this is the older version.

The problem is that I have quite a few files that I want off of that hard drive before it finally dies. However, my new PC doesn't have a 3.5" floppy drive. Because the PCI cards won't work, I cannot connect the older computer to the network. I haven't used a dial-up ISP since '00 or '01, so I think using the modem is out.

Even if your new computer had a floppy drive, there's no guarantee it could read floppies written by the other machine - the QA/QC on floppy drives has nose-dived in the last mumble years.

My next step would be to make puppy-dog eyes and/or chocolate bribery at my many geeky friends, who could probably come up with a machine that they could put the drive in and which has a CD or DVD burner, USB slot, or otherwise facilitate getting the data.

After that, I'd do a drive-ectomy, and either move the old drive to the new machine if you have an empty compatible bay, or buy, borrow, ol beg an external enclosure to mount it in, hanging off of your new machine. I have heard from reliable sources that external bays aren't terribly expensive, but I haven't priced them myself.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
fight-club for the soul
Shipmate
# 11098

- Posted      Profile for fight-club for the soul   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otter - they ain't expensive, especially from our Asian friends on Ebay...is good

--------------------
"If I go they'll say I'm wrong, if I stay there'll be no song." - Delirious

Posts: 566 | From: 35°14'04.35" S 149°02'19.56" E | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad, who is in his eighties having gotten his first PC in his late seventies, has been flummoxed by a seeming take-over bid by Outlook Express for his e-mail software needs. He had gotten used to the format that ATT (his server) has used for the last couple of years. Then suddenly yesterday a pop-up popped up asking if he wanted Outlook Express as his default e-mail handler. He said he saw no option for declining; he couldn't find a way to close the pop-up so he pushed something and now he's stuck with his e-mail going to this Microsoft pirate. [Mad]

I wish I had been there to see what he was up against. He's pretty sharp, but computer vocabulary is still pretty much a foreign language to him (as it is pretty much to me) and I don't know exactly what happened.

Anyway, what I'd really like to know from you fine, experienced folks is how we can get his e-mail setting off Outlook Express and back to the ATT format. And I'm afraid the explanation needs to be as novice-friendly as possible.

Thanks much.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016