homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lyda Rose

If he is using XP or earlier then in control panel there will be options that allow you to set internet settings, one tab (I have it set to the old fashioned look) has programs and amongst them is the ability to set the mailer . If he has a download from ATT then there should be options to go back to that for that setting.

However I am suspicious that he may have just been using an internet connection to view his mail on his providers server. The circumstance where I get a similar message box is when I try to send to email address on a machine that does not download emails (my home machine). If that is the case then you may just need to set a quick link up to the relevant web-page.

Oh I empathise completely on people around eighty wanting computer support from their daughters over the phone when they cannot explain what is in front of them and the daughter is trying to work from memory.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, Jengie. He does use XP, and actually I live nearby, so I can go and rummage in the control panel. I just wasn't sure I had enough info to explain what someone here might need to know to help us.

I'm very proud of him that he dived into computering late in life. And he likes working with me because I'm so raw at this that I can't go too fast for him to follow. My brother's family try to help when they are in town, but it's all so old hat to them that they go zip,zip,zip!, problem solved, and he has no idea what they've done. Me, I'm a second grader to his kindergartener. We understand each other. [Smile]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
I've PM'd you the results of the tracert. Most of the 30 lines showed 'Request timed out' but 3 of them had some details in.

The XP machine is running XP Home edition.

The Printer is Hewlett Packard Deskjet 970Cxi. Pretty sure it doesn't have an ethernet port.

Thanks very much by the way for all these suggestions of things to try!

Just curious... have you managed to get this working yet? I am sure it should be possible.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, we gave up!

If you have any suggestions, I'm still listening!!

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anybody got problems with BBC Listen Again on the web?

For a week or two, numerous programmes on 'Listen Again' e.g. for Radio 4 and BBC7 keep being interrupted at irregular intervals, sometimes for a second or two, sometimes for several minutes. I've experienced this with literally a dozen or so broadcasts now. Additionally, when I try the 'Listen Again' feature repeatedly, the gaps and stuttering always appear at the very same time and place, so I suspect it must be on the Beeb's side.

I have e-mailed Radio 4 Technical Support, but haven't had a reply yet.

I imagine these are ongoing problems as they're trying to transfer all programmes, streaming or on demand ('Listen Again') to the utterly poorly designed 'BBC iPlayer'...

Anyone got similar problems? Thanks. [Smile]

[ETA: I seems that these gaps also now appear in streaming radio broadcasts, but only with the Beeb, as right now on Radio 4. Lots of other stations I receive without the slightest problem. And my broadband speed is rather high really.)

[ 05. September 2008, 12:05: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How am I going to open e-mail attachments, once my 25 'gratis' Microsoft Office uses are gone? I'm down to 1. I don't want to buy M'oft Ofice, since I have very nice Open Office. I can't find an option where I can choose how to open attachments.

Am I going to have to use another email as my default? I'd rather not, if I can help it.

Thanks, Pearlie

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
No, we gave up!

If you have any suggestions, I'm still listening!!

Well, I am not an expert. There is a degree of black art to this as fas as I am concerned (which means there is stuff I don't know about/understand). Does this information about using two routers on the same network offer you any pointers which you haven't already tried?
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:
How am I going to open e-mail attachments, once my 25 'gratis' Microsoft Office uses are gone? I'm down to 1. I don't want to buy M'oft Ofice, since I have very nice Open Office. I can't find an option where I can choose how to open attachments.

Am I going to have to use another email as my default? I'd rather not, if I can help it.

Thanks, Pearlie

There is a a suggested fix here.
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pearl B4 Swine:

Instead of double-clicking on an attachment to open it, left-click. In most e-mail programs you should then get an option to open the attachment with whatever program you choose. Alternatively, once your freebie uses of MS-Office are used up, I'd expect the system to ask you what you want to use to open the attachment with, even if you double-clicked. At very worst, left-click on the attachment, do a save or save-as, and open it directly with OO.

To make OO the default for various file types, which I think will carry through to opening attachments: Open your file browser, left-click on a file of the type you want to make the setting for, and then go down past the programs the operating system suggests (even if OO is one of them), and choose "open with." This should bring up a window with a whole list of programs, OO among them, and down at the bottom a checkbox along the lines of "always use this program to open this kind of file". These directions are done referring to Windows XP, IIRC older versions of Windows are very similar, so is Mac OSX, can't speak to Vista.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Anybody got problems with BBC Listen Again on the web?

For a week or two, numerous programmes on 'Listen Again' e.g. for Radio 4 and BBC7 keep being interrupted at irregular intervals, sometimes for a second or two, sometimes for several minutes. I've experienced this with literally a dozen or so broadcasts now. Additionally, when I try the 'Listen Again' feature repeatedly, the gaps and stuttering always appear at the very same time and place, so I suspect it must be on the Beeb's side.

I have e-mailed Radio 4 Technical Support, but haven't had a reply yet.

I imagine these are ongoing problems as they're trying to transfer all programmes, streaming or on demand ('Listen Again') to the utterly poorly designed 'BBC iPlayer'...

Anyone got similar problems? Thanks. [Smile]

[ETA: I seems that these gaps also now appear in streaming radio broadcasts, but only with the Beeb, as right now on Radio 4. Lots of other stations I receive without the slightest problem. And my broadband speed is rather high really.)

Despite running pretty fast and fairly reliable cable broadband, I still find my self reverting to the "dial-up" option, (small link at bottom of window.) It lacks some of the features, but has a more reliable out-put.

Perhaps we should start complaining that the BBC is producing content that can only be reliably accessed by a minority.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by R.A.M.:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Anybody got problems with BBC Listen Again on the web? [...] yadda yadda [...]

Despite running pretty fast and fairly reliable cable broadband, I still find my self reverting to the "dial-up" option, (small link at bottom of window.) It lacks some of the features, but has a more reliable out-put.

Perhaps we should start complaining that the BBC is producing content that can only be reliably accessed by a minority.

I've just tried this option, R.A.M., thanks for that. Should there by lower sound quality? I haven't noticed then.

However, even with your suggestion, some Listen Again programmes still get interrupted at the same place, as mentioned earlier. [Frown]

You might wanna try if it's got a gap too with you, e.g. in Thursday's (4 September) 'Bleak Expectations' episode, starting at 12:03 until 12:32, and some shorter stops earlier and later, like from 17:16 to 17:20. (Direct link here - NOTE: Opens BBC iPlayer!)

Thanks for your thought and investigation. I'll keep trying too. Strange, all this. [Paranoid]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you so much, BroJames and Otter. [Smile]

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
My dad, who is in his eighties having gotten his first PC in his late seventies, has been flummoxed by a seeming take-over bid by Outlook Express for his e-mail software needs. He had gotten used to the format that ATT (his server) has used for the last couple of years. Then suddenly yesterday a pop-up popped up asking if he wanted Outlook Express as his default e-mail handler. He said he saw no option for declining; he couldn't find a way to close the pop-up so he pushed something and now he's stuck with his e-mail going to this Microsoft pirate. [Mad]

I wish I had been there to see what he was up against. He's pretty sharp, but computer vocabulary is still pretty much a foreign language to him (as it is pretty much to me) and I don't know exactly what happened.

Anyway, what I'd really like to know from you fine, experienced folks is how we can get his e-mail setting off Outlook Express and back to the ATT format. And I'm afraid the explanation needs to be as novice-friendly as possible.

Thanks much.

Update and one other question:

I took Jengie Jon's advice and looked in the Control Panel for e-mail or internet settings. The weird thing was that Outlook Express was not the default setting for handling e-mail but was something called "Current Setting" or something like, so I'm still not sure why it suddenly switched to Outlook Express. Anyway I finally wound up resetting O.E. to send a copy of the e-mail to the server's e-mail page (yes, Dad was just looking at his e-mail on his server's site). All the saved e-mail that Outlook Ex. snatched would have to individually forwarded to the server for it all to be gathered in one place again. [Roll Eyes]

We still have outlook Express as a depository of Dad's saved e-mail; now the problem is that we can't open any of the attachments that came with the saved e-mails on O.E. I click on the little paperclips and that doesn't work. I pulled down the file/edit/tool functions- nada about opening attachments. I open the e-mails themselves and there is nothing within them that is clickable. Has Dad lost all his attachments? Any ideas? [Help]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm trying to speed up my PC which now takes about 7 minutes before all programs are finally loaded (ending with the Zone Alarm firewall, which seems to take a while). It's running under Windows SP2.

I've deleted things from the PreFetch folder, but they keep coming back. Is there a way to stop this?

Also, where can I find a list of programs that are loaded at startup - I want it not to load programs (like QuickTime) which I almost never use. I know there's a list somewhere, but I can't find it.

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK here's a new challenge for the geeks. A home network problem.

Before we recently installed a wireless router (to provide a connection for my new laptop) we had (and still have) a 4 port wired modem/router, which also has a USB connection. All 5 connections were in use - the USB connected it to the oldest PC which runs Win98, and the 4 Ethernet ports connected to two PCs running WinXP , one PC running Vista, and a Microsoft XBox360. (Yes I know thats an awful lot of computers for one family...) The printer is connected to the Win 98 PC (via USB) and in the original set up it was possible to print from the Win98 PC and also from the two XP machines. (Never managed to get network printing working for Vista with this setup, but that's irrelevant to my current problem)

The wireless router now resides between the wired router and one of the XP machines, connected to both via ethernet. Since installing this wireless router it has not been possible for that XP machine to print, using the network printer described above.

Should it be possible to configure it to do so (I've tried the obvious), and if so please can someone talk me through it.

For bonus points if anyone knows whether Vista PC's should be able to access a network printer attached to a Win98 machine, I would also be interested in how that should be set up. It would save my son having to save his homework on a memory stick, then having to plug it into the ancient slow Win98 machine to print his work!!

Umm - it sounds as though you'd be best placed removing the wired router, replacing it with the wireless one, getting a basic wired hub, a USB dongle (maybe) for the W98 box - or put an Ethernet card into the W98 machine.

That way, you won't have two DHCP servers and two firewalls in the way.

Alex

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
Ok, here's a challenge for you:

Several years ago, I purchased an old Compaq Presario laptop to use for typing school reports, etc. It has a CD-ROM, a 3.5" floppy, and a modem, but no USB or eithernet ports. It does have a slot for a PCI card. It runs Windows 98 (Not SE). I cannot get either of my two PCI network cards to work on this computer because the drivers are for 98SE, and this is the older version.

The problem is that I have quite a few files that I want off of that hard drive before it finally dies. However, my new PC doesn't have a 3.5" floppy drive. Because the PCI cards won't work, I cannot connect the older computer to the network. I haven't used a dial-up ISP since '00 or '01, so I think using the modem is out.

I performed surgery a few minutes ago and determined that the hard drive will not plug into my desktop because the wiring is different. The serial bus is too small for the desktop, and the power plugs are different as well.

Ideas?

Buy or borrow a 3.5in USB floppy drive. Job done.
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alternative for Padre Joshua, beg, borrow, buy or steal a USB external Hard Drive enclosure, the one I met had alternative cables for connection of different drives, and once Hard Drive was connected, it plugged into a USB port and Voila, all data off the Windows 95 PC's HDD could easily be copied.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
Umm - it sounds as though you'd be best placed removing the wired router, replacing it with the wireless one, getting a basic wired hub, a USB dongle (maybe) for the W98 box - or put an Ethernet card into the W98 machine.

That way, you won't have two DHCP servers and two firewalls in the way.

Alex

Yes but...

You only need the firewall against external access wirelessly or from the internet. If you use your wireless router for that and turn off DHCP and firewall on your wired router making it dependent on the wireless router for those functions then you should be fine.

[ 07. September 2008, 17:03: Message edited by: BroJames ]

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Alex Cockell:
quote:
Originally posted by Padre Joshua:
[...] Ideas?

Buy or borrow a 3.5in USB floppy drive. Job done.
Or borrow an external Iomega ZIP drive with parallel connection, for the bigger files. That's how I transferred up to 250MB at a time on ZIP disks from a Win95 pre-USB to a new machine. [Smile]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For the last two days I haven't been able to log in to either of my Yahoo email accounts. I was using them both on my home PC on Friday night, when I tried again on Saturday I got the "invalid password" message. I've tried many times, carefully trying to put in the right username and password, not only on my home PC but others.

I did download an attachment that evening from someone I thought I could trust, and my security software (AVG antivirus and Zone Alarm) didn't query it.

I've been worrying whether a keylogger or something like that might have got access to my PC and someone has changed the password - is that likely? I have been careful not to use any password access sites since then. What should I do?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Have you tried the two links underneath the Yahoo!ID and Password boxes? 'Forgot your ID or password?' and 'Help'? These might be your next steps. Then take it from there.

ETA: If you're worried about spyware or the like, run antivirus and anti-spyware scans of the whole machine. Always a good idea.

[ 08. September 2008, 10:24: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:

Also, where can I find a list of programs that are loaded at startup - I want it not to load programs (like QuickTime) which I almost never use. I know there's a list somewhere, but I can't find it.

Download CCleaner. It has this facility, and can also remove junk files, clean up your registry and uninstall unwanted software, all of which will be useful if your computer is slow.

Have you defragmented your hard drive? A fragmented and nearly full drive can really slow your computer down.

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks very much. Yes, I've defragged the hard drive, and removed a couple of GB of graphics files and other things, and it still takes about 6 mins to boot up.

(For some reason it insists on loading Word every time it boots up, which seems to take it a little while. I don't know why. I don't particularly want it to, but I upgraded to Win XP SP2 recently and I suppose this is just one of the things it does.)

Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not a very high-grade problem but I have

*Do you want to be notified by email when someone sends you a private message?*

checked in my Ship profile but I no longer get a notification in my private e-mail.

I was using Thunderbird (having screwed up the *Mail* function that came pre-installed on my previous e-mac on account of being a techno-dummy) and it was ok on that. (Message notification came through on *Mail* before that unfortunate incident as well.) Now I'm on an Intel i-mac which also has pre-installed *Mail* and it's stopped working. I checked the ISP's mail server to see if it had identified Ship PMs as spam but that is not the case.

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lydia
Shipmate
# 12161

- Posted      Profile for Lydia   Email Lydia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
iTunes is doing something a bit strange and I would appreciate advice, please.

Well, actually, iTunes is strangely not doing something. When I ask it to refresh podcasts, it makes the little orange whirly symbol beside each podcast, and then starts downloading any new episodes of most of them, but not the Daily Audio Bible, even though it's done the little orange thing to say it's checked for new DAB episodes.

The episodes are there in the iTunes store all right. If I click on the podcast title and then on the little arrow, it takes me to the iTunes store and a list of episodes. If I click "get episode" for the ones I haven't got yet, it downloads them with no trouble at all. It just doesn't find them when I merely tell it to update the whole podcast. [Confused]

Any ideas why not? Could it be because I have an excessive number of past episodes of this particular podcast saved on my hard drive?

I can live with this - it's not that troubling to click to download each episode - but if there's something simple I could do to fix it, that would be nice.

Thanks very much,
Lydia

--------------------
You mean I'm supposed to think of something interesting to write in a sig?

Posts: 204 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jahlove:
Not a very high-grade problem but I have

*Do you want to be notified by email when someone sends you a private message?*

checked in my Ship profile but I no longer get a notification in my private e-mail.

I was using Thunderbird (having screwed up the *Mail* function that came pre-installed on my previous e-mac on account of being a techno-dummy) and it was ok on that. (Message notification came through on *Mail* before that unfortunate incident as well.) Now I'm on an Intel i-mac which also has pre-installed *Mail* and it's stopped working. I checked the ISP's mail server to see if it had identified Ship PMs as spam but that is not the case.

Jahlove, I linked to your question on the Tech Support thread in the Styx. I had a similar problem earlier this week.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Mamacita, I've been advised by someone else as well that it might fare better there. [Smile]

[Edited for techno-stupidity]

[ 09. September 2008, 05:40: Message edited by: Jahlove ]

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks very much. Yes, I've defragged the hard drive, and removed a couple of GB of graphics files and other things, and it still takes about 6 mins to boot up.

(For some reason it insists on loading Word every time it boots up, which seems to take it a little while. I don't know why. I don't particularly want it to, but I upgraded to Win XP SP2 recently and I suppose this is just one of the things it does.)

Hmmm... It could be something to do with word has got into your startup menu.

Take a look on your Start menu under Programs and startup. Is there anything in that menu there?

Failing that there can look in the registry, but that can be fiddly, and best left for now.

Have you checked for spyware/adware with adaware or spybot?

Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
Take a look on your Start menu under Programs and startup. Is there anything in that menu there?

Yes, among other things, it says Microsoft Office - hmm, I hadn't noticed that before. Am I safe to delete that?

quote:
No, they always took up to a couple of hours to run and slowed the computer to a crawl so I stopped using them. I now have AVG which is supposed to find that sort of thing when it does its scan. (Of course no two anti-spyware programs ever find exactly the same things...)
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know anything about XP Service Pack 3 - is it absolutely necessary, are there any known problems after installing it?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

Yes, among other things, it says Microsoft Office - hmm, I hadn't noticed that before. Am I safe to delete that?
That should just be either the office toolbar or a little helper.

quote:
quote:
No, they always took up to a couple of hours to run and slowed the computer to a crawl so I stopped using them. I now have AVG which is supposed to find that sort of thing when it does its scan. (Of course no two anti-spyware programs ever find exactly the same things...)

Try either ad-aware or spybot... AVG is an anti-virus package and they are never as good at detecting spyware/adware as a dedicated scanner. If it is taking a while then unplug network connection and disable AVG during the scan. Its also better if run the scan in safemode where possible.

[ 10. September 2008, 12:06: Message edited by: Pheonix ]

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to have developed a facebook problem (sounds painful doesn't it?) And wondered if anyone had any ideas....

... I can load the main page, and status updates, but when I click on anyones picture or name it doesn't go there, I can't comment on anything or change my status update (I type it in and click post but the little status at the bottom of the page just says done and nothing happens).

It may of course be a *good* thing that I can't comment on everyones's stuff but I'd like to know why and how to fix it!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

Have you tried turning it back to the old version of facebook? I'm guessing you've just been using internet explorer? Tried using firefox?
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

quote:
That should just be either the office toolbar or a little helper.

Right. I seem to remember that when installing the upgrade to Service Pack 2 there was an option to have Office run at startup. I thought I'd said no to that but obviously I didn't. Any suggestions on how I can I say no to that now?

It was easier in the days of DOS - I'd have edited autoexec.bat or whatever it was to take out the command line but the system's changed so much since then I don't know where I should be looking now.

(AVG only found cookies, by the way.)

Thanks for your help so far! Much appreciated.

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Facebook? What is this thing of which you speak? [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Does anyone know anything about XP Service Pack 3 - is it absolutely necessary, are there any known problems after installing it?

I was wondering the same thing. I've been offered it, and have declined so far.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

There's a couple of posts about it earlier on this thread in answer to a question I raised a few weeks ago about upgrading from Win XP SP 1. It has its problems, apparently.
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Have you tried turning it back to the old version of facebook? I'm guessing you've just been using internet explorer? Tried using firefox?

I use firefox (not tried it in internet explorer - I assume thats on my computer somewhere...) and yes it works if I turn it back to the old version. That seems a bit pointless though when they're switching over to the new version and thats the one most peeps are using. I don't understand why I can't make the *new* version work.

I've discovered if I right click on a link I have the "open in a new tab" option which works, so I can actually do things. It has just been very irritating that some things work and some don't. I take it I'm the only one it does that for and theres no obvious setting I can change?!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:
That seems a bit pointless though when they're switching over to the new version and thats the one most peeps are using.

I took one look at the new version and reverted to The One True Facebook. I shall let go of it when I have to but not before!

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SPARE POOTER

Okay here's the deal. We're down one computer and so somebody is going to have to limp along with one of the spares for a time. It's been a long time since we've used one of the spares. One of the hard drives has died and we can't even remember any of the specs. The other hard drive needed to have Win 98 (SE) reinstalled. So: how do we figure out which is the better computer? We can move the hard drive back and forth between the two computers (it's a disgustingly small 5G IDE). All we really need it for is internet and a little word processing. Can somebody tell us how to determine which of these old computers we should use? There's no real telling by the case (they're generic) and I don't want to have to claw my way down to the processor which would involve removing the motherboard from one of them ya-da ya-da. I'm hoping for something I can do within the software when it's up and running that will say "this one has such-and-such memory and runs at so-and-so hertz."

So, can I do it?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking for some fairly simple help. I am using Excel 2003, and I would like to sum up column C (cells C2-C9) and put the answer in C10. Then I would like to sum D2-D9, and put the answer in D10.

Next I would like to sum C2 and D2 -> E2,
C3 + D3 = E3

etc.

I can't remember how to do this. Could someone give me a prod in the right direction please?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um, I think you just select the cells, click the "sigma" symbol, and it will plonk the answer in the cell immediately below the column. You can cut and paste this anywhere. If you select columns crosswise, it will place it in the next one to the right, I think.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief - It's been so long since I've used 98 but in XP right-clicking on My Computer and choosing properties shows this information, does that work with 98? Failing that the command "mem" in DOS will report on the amount of memory available. For CPU speed there are various free programs you can download to measure it, google "cpu speed test".
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lydia
Shipmate
# 12161

- Posted      Profile for Lydia   Email Lydia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I am looking for some fairly simple help. I am using Excel 2003, and I would like to sum up column C (cells C2-C9) and put the answer in C10. Then I would like to sum D2-D9, and put the answer in D10.

Next I would like to sum C2 and D2 -> E2,
C3 + D3 = E3

etc.

I can't remember how to do this. Could someone give me a prod in the right direction please?

If you do what Eutychus says, it will put the formula you need in the cell you want. Or you can type it yourself. As long as you remember to start your formula with = then the rest is fairly straightforward.

So, in C10 type =sum(C2:C9) then drag it across to D10 and it will convert the cell references for you.

Then in E2 you can either type =sum(C2:D2) or =C2+D2 which will give the same answer. If you drag this down the E column they will all work themselves out.

If you want to check it's done what you want, select the cell you want to check and look in the formula bar to check it's summing the cells you want it to sum. If you click in the formula bar, it will allow you to edit the formula. It will also use a coloured outline to show you which cells the formula uses.

Hope that helps,
Lydia
(who is fairly useless at most things with a computer but pretty good with excel, and who would still really like someone to answer my question about iTunes higher up the page)

--------------------
You mean I'm supposed to think of something interesting to write in a sig?

Posts: 204 | From: England | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Um, I think you just select the cells, click the "sigma" symbol, and it will plonk the answer in the cell immediately below the column. You can cut and paste this anywhere. If you select columns crosswise, it will place it in the next one to the right, I think.

Thank you. It works just as you said. When I did this sort of thing many many years ago I had to type in formulae by hand. Usign the way you suggested it also gave me information on how to write the formulae. =SUM(C5:D5)

Many thanks.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

A real idiot's question this one. I have a lot of music on my PC that I have copied off of CDs, now given away. If I want to burn some of the tracks on to another CD for listening on a hi fi system, what format do the tracks have to be in?

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Do any shipmates use Sitemeter? what have they done to it?! I used to quite enjoy seeing where in the world my blog received hits from, and what peculiar search terms threw up my entries. Now it's suddenly gone all clunky, slow, and impossible to read, and very hard to glean the usual information from. Is there any way of reverting back to the old version, or is this like the 'new facebook'?

Eurgh.

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

- Posted      Profile for Lilly Rose   Email Lilly Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh dear!
I haven't looked at Facebook for a few days, so reading your post, I checked it.
Aaaagh! Isn't it awful!
I was put on the the new version a few weeks ago, tried it and didn't like it, so I chose to go back to the old version.
It looks like that option isn't available anymore now. I'll have to try again with the new version which isn't as easy to use as the old one or as well set out. Maybe I'll just give up on Facebook.
Why do they change things that work well?
Seriously, does anyone know why they have changed it? What advantage is there to us as users?

[Frown]

Posts: 102 | From: Midlands UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Goodness knows. There are dozens of groups protesting against the changes. I tried the new version for about 30 seconds before I changed back. I've still got the old version going, but I don't know how much longer it will be before the change becomes mandatory.

Interestingly, I've just tried logging on to Sitemeter again and it says:
quote:
We are in the process of rolling back SiteMeter to the former system.
SiteMeter should be back online soon.
Please check back later.
Sorry for inconvenience.

Maybe it was all just a horrible error on their part?

[ 14. September 2008, 22:45: Message edited by: Hazey*Jane ]

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
A real idiot's question this one. I have a lot of music on my PC that I have copied off of CDs, now given away. If I want to burn some of the tracks on to another CD for listening on a hi fi system, what format do the tracks have to be in?

Wav or AIFF should do the trick.
If the tracks are on your computer as MP3 files, they can be converted to WAV or AIFF format (AIFF is a more Apple-specific term) to run on a CD player, but the sound quality will only be as good as the MP3 file.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016