homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by aj:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
A real idiot's question this one. I have a lot of music on my PC that I have copied off of CDs, now given away. If I want to burn some of the tracks on to another CD for listening on a hi fi system, what format do the tracks have to be in?

Wav or AIFF should do the trick.
If the tracks are on your computer as MP3 files, they can be converted to WAV or AIFF format (AIFF is a more Apple-specific term) to run on a CD player, but the sound quality will only be as good as the MP3 file.

Thanks. Yes they are on the PC as mp3 files, but I have a free program (DB PowerAmp) which will convert them back again, so hopefully that will work.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma Louise:

... I can load the main page, and status updates, but when I click on anyones picture or name it doesn't go there, I can't comment on anything or change my status update (I type it in and click post but the little status at the bottom of the page just says done and nothing happens).

I..

Strangely this now works, links work when clicked on etc. Hmm freaky. I wonder if Mr Facebook himself has been reading the ship?!
[Ultra confused]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

... I can load the main page, and status updates, but when I click on anyones picture or name it doesn't go there, I can't comment on anything or change my status update (I type it in and click post but the little status at the bottom of the page just says done and nothing happens).

I..

Strangely this now works, links work when clicked on etc. Hmm freaky. I wonder if Mr Facebook himself has been reading the ship?!
[Ultra confused]

They've probably just been fixing the bugs now ppl can't go back to the old interface to escape them.
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's one for you.

I'm into Formula 1, and enjoy the stores and news articles on the website run by ITV
www.itv-f1.com

the problem is that they have a very sneaky advertising set-up thing, whereby quite often when you click on a link to view a story, or a picture - it opens up a whole new browser window with an advert for barclays, or Dell, or something else.
these are not pop-ups, so are not blocked. I've ended up at one point with about 9 or 10 extra windows running adverts.
Any idea how to stop 'em ?

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My latest problem is puzzling me...

... I have a laptop - and at random intervals from every 5-10 minutes to every couple of minutes the screen has started going black. It completely blacks out for a few seconds and then returns...

I take it this is not good?

Does anyone know if what is wrong is obvious? The nice people that supply the laptop have a service whereby they pick it up and mend it but last time they did that they had it for 6 weeks and I have an essay due in soon...

Have I broken it?!

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Amorya! I need you!

My poor computer (iBook G4) is suffering terribly in general, as we temporarily live in a tent and it has to travel with me a lot. I need a new power cord, and the battery is dying slowly, and my clicker thingie is getting tetchy...

but that's all dealable.

Now, for some reason that confuses the hell out of me, when I'm on the Ship, Safari has begun loading archived copies of board main pages. this is a really pain in the ass, as it took me awhile to realize that there really were new posts (and new threads! [Eek!] ) in Hell for me to review.

it's obviously some setting or other, but I can't find it. hints?

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emma, it doesn't sound good, what kind of laptop is it?

If I were you I'd be putting all my urgently needed or important stuff onto a CD or memory stick in case the laptop fails. At least that way you can access it via another computer while the laptop is being sorted.

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
Here's one for you.

I'm into Formula 1, and enjoy the stores and news articles on the website run by ITV
www.itv-f1.com

the problem is that they have a very sneaky advertising set-up thing, whereby quite often when you click on a link to view a story, or a picture - it opens up a whole new browser window with an advert for barclays, or Dell, or something else.
these are not pop-ups, so are not blocked. I've ended up at one point with about 9 or 10 extra windows running adverts.
Any idea how to stop 'em ?

I've just tried out your link and clicked on a number of pages, but didn't get any pop-ups, nor does my Firefox 3 browser show that any such are being blocked - currently.

I am, however, using some add-ons, such a 'Adblock Plus' (link here), 'Flashblock' (link) and to block google analytics tracking, 'CustomizeGoogle' (link).

The first two add-ons probably prevent a lot of what you're having a problem with there.

Please say more about your browser?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Emma, it doesn't sound good, what kind of laptop is it?

If I were you I'd be putting all my urgently needed or important stuff onto a CD or memory stick in case the laptop fails. At least that way you can access it via another computer while the laptop is being sorted.

Excellent advice there. - Sounds like a screen problem. Is the machine running during screen black-outs? (You could find out by playing some music or a DVD.)

Again, as BroJames says, slap the files you urgently need on a USB stick or CD-R/RW, or most sensible of all, do a complete backup on an external harddrive as well. Good luck! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Emma,

You don't say what kind of laptop it is. Certain laptops have specific issues associated with them. Can you give a bit more detail?

Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

Hi everyone [Smile]

Bizarrely it hasn't done it today...

... the laptop was given to me by open university via a scheme/company called microlink. I think they might build their own?

The main label is "Hi-grade" if thats any help.!

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Get in touch with the OU computing helpdesk then, Emms. That's what they're here for. [Smile]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

<bump> [Biased]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I've just upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2009, but seem to encounter the occasional sudden system freeze now (WinXP SP2).

Anybody else got NIS 2009? Your observations very welcome. Thanks.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I've just upgraded to Norton Internet Security 2009, but seem to encounter the occasional sudden system freeze now (WinXP SP2).

Anybody else got NIS 2009? Your observations very welcome. Thanks.

Ok - problem solved, at least temporarily. Seems to be an incompatabilty with ZoneAlarm (you need to deactivate it permanently - which is sad, as I really liked the extra features it has. Ah well.

--------------------

iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
My poor computer (iBook G4) is suffering terribly in general, ...

\Now, for some reason that confuses the hell out of me, when I'm on the Ship, Safari has begun loading archived copies of board main pages.

I don't know of any settings specifically in Safari but have you tried with Firefox or Camino (the other browsers for Mac)?
Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cqg:
quote:
Originally posted by comet:
My poor computer (iBook G4) is suffering terribly in general, ...

\Now, for some reason that confuses the hell out of me, when I'm on the Ship, Safari has begun loading archived copies of board main pages.

I don't know of any settings specifically in Safari but have you tried with Firefox or Camino (the other browsers for Mac)?
I didn't notice this one, comet. Have you cleared the cache? (Safari -> Empty Cache). If it doesn't have the old page, it can hardly load it.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wesley J
I am apparently using Mozilla Firefox 3.0.3, without any extras added

try going to the main page and (for example) click on Singapore Babes (it'll be fairly work safe, don't panic)

this brings back one of the dreaded extra windows, as does clicking the > arrow to see the next picture.

Clicking the "Home" button on the left hand side does the same thing.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Sorry, Wet Kipper: I'm not quite sure which of my (or someone else's) post you're referring to. Or are you asking a question? - Thanks muchly for clarifying. [Confused]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Eutychus' laptop normally has a French AZERTY keyboard. For some reason, in Word 2007 only, it has taken it into its head to have a QWERTY keyboard setting (everything else apart from Word still seems to work as AZERTY).

Can anybody tell me how to unfix this (ie set Word 2007 keyboard settings back to French settings)?

Thanks!

[ 08. October 2008, 18:10: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Sorry, Wet Kipper: I'm not quite sure which of my (or someone else's) post you're referring to. Or are you asking a question? - Thanks muchly for clarifying. [Confused]

I can see what Wet Kipper means. he is referring to this post of yours

I'm using Firefox 3.0.3 and I get exactly what he describes when clicking on the links on that page mentioned in his recent post.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Mrs Eutychus' laptop normally has a French AZERTY keyboard. For some reason, in Word 2007 only, it has taken it into its head to have a QWERTY keyboard setting (everything else apart from Word still seems to work as AZERTY).

Can anybody tell me how to unfix this (ie set Word 2007 keyboard settings back to French settings)?

Thanks!

No real answer, I might have got further if I was in work as I use Word 2007 there but I do remember that Word certainly had its own settings for Printers and if anything they are worse in Word 2007 (i.e. I think I am spying different documents having different settings) but how exactly you unset them I do not know.

I suspect the cause was opening a document which was originally typed with a qwerty keyboard. Either that or Word has "lost" a setting so is reverting to standard.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
quote:

I can see what Wet Kipper means. he is referring to this post of yours

I'm using Firefox 3.0.3 and I get exactly what he describes when clicking on the links on that page mentioned in his recent post.

Goodness! Thanks, Gracious rebel. Sorry about that. And no, still not a single pop-up for me there at all. Try downloading and installing the free add-ons I mentioned earlier. I'm only very very rarely getting pop-ups now.

The first thing to do, however, which I omitted to say above, is to turn on Firefox' built-in pop-up blocker. In the navigation toolbar (at the top), go to Tools -> Options -> Content -> Block Pop-Up Windows -> OK.

A further useful trick is to automatically make Firefox delete your cookies when it closes. This makes tracking more difficult for baddies. Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Accept cookies 'Until Firefox closes' -> OK. This means you'll have to log into the Ship again once you closed Firefox (and retype all other passwords!), but that's a minor problem I think. Main issue here is surfing hygiene, I'd say.

A third point then could be this: Go to Tools -> Options -> Privacy -> Private Data -> tick 'Always clear my private data when I close Firefox'; then in the same tab, right of this, go to Settings -> 'When I ask Firefox to clear my private data, it should erase': Tick all EXCEPT (I'd suggest) browsing history, download history, offline website data -> OK -> OK.

Hope that helps. Looking forward to your comments. [Smile]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:

Thanks!

What Jengie Jon says. Try this and possibly this. I've googled 'word 2007 language settings' as I work with OpenOffice.org myself.

That language switch happens to me, too, and when I get e-mails or documents in different languages, or work on them, the default system language may temporarily change to the one in the document, which actually makes sense.

I've got keyboard shortcuts for 3 languages (which means that that keyboard virtually changes), and you can install and deinstall those as follows: In Win XP, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Date, Time, Language, and Regional Options -> Add other languages -> Languages -> Details -> Settings -> Add -> choose as appropriate -> OK; in the same tab, then go to Preferences -> Language bar -> tick 'Show the language bar on the desktop' -> OK; back to Preferences, go to Key settings -> Advanced Key Settings -> choose as appropriate ('Switch between input languages', etc) -> OK -> OK -> Apply -> OK.

The fun thing is that you can toggle your keyboard layout between the languages you've chosen, using keyboard shortcuts or by clicking on the Language Bar on your desktop - ok, in fact in the taskbar at the bottom of your screen. [Cool] Should also work as a short-term solution for your problem, Eutychus.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the links. In the mean time, it turns out that simply rebooting Word apparently does the trick, too.

I keep being tempted to put my keyboard into Dvorak, but I haven't dared yet.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I keep being tempted to put my keyboard into Dvorak, but I haven't dared yet.

I made the switch to Dvorak a couple years ago, when Mr. Otter decided to (finally!) learn how to touch-type, and also decided to do so with in Dvorak. I decided I'd just switch, too, and not worry about which way the keyboard is set.

Working in Dvorak is enormous fun when somebody else sits down at your computer, tries to type, and gets total gibberish. But I'd never do that to an annoying know-it-all from the IT department. No, never never never... [Two face]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[sobs] HElP! HELP!

I've got a laptop which has been infected by that nasty fake XP Antivirus 2008 AND also 2009. God knows where it came from! I have run AVG free which identifies several nasties but cannot get rid of them--I get stuck in an endless loop of "This is bad"; "Yes, dear, I know, please kill it?" "Can't, sorry... By the way, this [same thing] is bad."

Can anyone recommend a trustworthy removal tool, preferably free, as I'm desperatel skint at the moment? Thanks.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I've looked around a bit and it seems that "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" appears reasonably efficient for removing your nasties.

Download the (free) software from here (Malwarebytes' homepage) - choose the free version. You could for the time being install it in a new folder on your desktop. Once done that, follow the instructions. For scanning, choose 'Perform a quick scan' and take it from there.

The items you quarantaine you can later restore if need be, so it's rather safe.

(I've just dowloaded and tried the software myself and it looks fine. - In the 'Security' tab, however, you might want to untick 'Anonymously report statistics ...', for added privacy. But this is really a minor issue compared to your 'XP Antivirus' threat!)

Good luck.

[ 10. October 2008, 10:09: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks. I ran across references to this too, but had no idea whether they were "real" (and not another lying so-called anti-virus scam themselves). No fear of that, then?

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

It is being heavily marketed, that's true, but I'd say it looks (and feels - on my computer now) rather ok. If this doesn't work, you might need to delete the files manually, which can be done, but is a bit of a hassle.

I've checked several reliable download sites, LC, which have a reputation for not allowing spyware, so yes, I think it's safe.

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've looked around a bit and it seems that "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" appears reasonably efficient for removing your nasties.

I checked your site, Wes ... hmmm

My problem is that I simply don't know if I've ever had one of these nasties. My Norton, which so many people love to hate, ticks quietly in the background, and I renew it annually. Admittedly chapter five of my thesis suddenly disappeared yesterday, somewhat traumatically, but so far as I know there is no "eat chapter five of PhD thesises" viruses circulating.

Should I be afraid? Or is this like one of those pentecostal tricks ... you didn't know there was something wrong with you, but they see a demon, and if you ask (and pay) nicely they'll fix it?

I was eventually and miraculously able to restore Chapter Five, thanks be to God, and my back-ups are now more thorough. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 10. October 2008, 19:55: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Hey, Zappa! Glad you experienced devine restoration! [Big Grin]

Actually, I wouldn't necessarily recommend "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware" software, but LC's current legit anti-virus AVG can't get rid of the gharstly XP Antivirus 2008/09, and as it appears this can help.

My reasoning is as follows: both Norton and McAfee offer removal instructions, but as far as I could see only in conjunction with their own purchased software. Malware will often try to hide when a new anti-spy/ad/malware programme is installed, if it's already present. It might even try to disable the legit software. All this seems not to be the case with ""Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware", so why not use it.

I've installed it on two machines here and am currently carefully monitoring its activities (I've got some efficient registry protectors running); and neither has Norton nor any other anti-spy/ad/maleware programme detected it as dangerous. I imagine I might uninstall it again after a while though.

I wouldn't worry, Zappa. Don't think you need that one!

On the other hand, might be helpful to do a HiJack This! scan from time to time. You can now submit the results to HiJackThis.de, which may provide a tentative analysis with comment on the HiJack This logfile. (I wouldn't upload this to Trendsecure, the new owner, as they aren't offering any evaluation. HiJackThis.de is much more fun! [Smile] )

NOTE: Please do NOT use HiJack This for anything except scanning (and saving the log file): do NOT 'fix' any files you consider a problem, unless you know exactly what you're doing. This could damage the machine. Use the scan and analysis only.

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Thanks folks!

And Zappa, believe me, you'd know if you had the XP Anti-(fuck-yeah-i'm-a)-Virus problem. Bloody thing papers your screen with alarmist messages about how the known universe will shortly implode if you don't click on this handy-dandy link and send them your credit card number, personal identification and bank account number. And if you decline to click, it eventually takes you to the frickin' site anyway.

Assholes.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

<bump>

Hey, Lamb Chopped - did you get to sort out your problem? Inquiring mind wants to know. [Smile]

--------------------

Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Yes Sir! And thank you much, folks! [Hot and Hormonal] Should have reported back, but got sidetracked by a cold and family emergencies in Real Life™.

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi guys, I'm getting a freebie netbook with my mobile upgrade. Apparently, it'll be an elonex webbook - not a make I'm familiar with. Does anyone have any expereince using these mini-laptop thingies, or this one in particular ? What should I be looking forward to / cursing about ?

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What's the difference between Internet Explorer and Firefox, from a user's point of view?

I've always used IE out of habit, cos it's there, and oos I can't get very excited about browsers. But I'm thinking of using Zotaro, which doesn't run on IE, so I'm pondering whether to switch to Firefox. Will I notice any difference?

For that matter, has anyone used Zotaro? How have you found it?

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't used Zotero (sic) but Dr Mrs Spouse has and wasn't thrilled with it.

As for the differences between Firefox and IE, where does one begin! I guess the biggest advantage FF has isn't that it isn't a Microsoft product so you don't have the worry that somewhere along the line it will crash or do something to your computer!

Here is one comparison of the two browsers that you might like.

Seriously, I like Firefox because it just 'feels better' than IE and is certainly much more adaptable with its hundreds of add-ons to customise it to work the way you want it to, not the way someone thinks you want it to. There has been a lot of convergence between FF and IE (and other browsers) since the introduction so there isn't a massive difference any more. One of my heavily used FF add-ons for PC is 'open this page in IE', for those sites that still rely on Microsoft code instead of open standards.

But at the moment I'm using a Mac, so IE isn't even in the frame.

[Cool]

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
pen&ink
Apprentice
# 13527

- Posted      Profile for pen&ink   Email pen&ink   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used zotero a bit and I would say it's definitely worth trying. I found it excellent, but I was hardly demanding a lot from it so I can't really say what it's limitations are.
Posts: 29 | From: I know I'm somewhere around here | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thining of using it as an adjunct to Reference Manager, rather than as a replacement. Not sure if it'll offer any extra useful functionality, but willing to give it a go.
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have created a publication in both PageMaker and MS Publisher formats and need to convert one or the other to a graphics format like .psd or .jpg or something - using the MS save as jpeg gives a lousy resolution.

Any ideas?

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I do in such circumstances is google for something like this or if I am being cautious search I use Downloads.com

However I have not needed to do that particular conversion.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DUH!!

Silly me!

I've just found that I can save the MS Publisher file as a 300 dpi TIFF which will do nicely.

Thanks Jengie.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

...or a 300 dpi BMP file which is even better!

Woohoo!

Perhaps I don't hate M$ as much as I have always thought I did.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
Hi guys, I'm getting a freebie netbook with my mobile upgrade. Apparently, it'll be an elonex webbook - not a make I'm familiar with. Does anyone have any expereince using these mini-laptop thingies, or this one in particular ? What should I be looking forward to / cursing about ?

Looks as if it's one of these, according to their website. However, I also found this one. If you get the first model, that looks quite reasonable: go to 'Specs' to find out more. The second model, oneT, is possibly the one intended for schools, with only 1 or 2GB of storage.

I guess the decisive factor is the keyboard and how much at ease you feel with it. I've been to the shops and tried out the Asus EEE and the HP2133, and much preferred the latter. I just can't type on the EEE, keys being much too small and the screen isn't exactly huge either. I haven't yet decided on a webbook really, should I ever need one, but then I'm also waiting for the new DELL mini laptop and reviews of it.

[ETA: I've just noticed that the Elonex Webbook VIA C7-M hasn't got an optical drive and the battery life is 2.5 hrs, so not exactly high. Other than that, it looks ok to me. [Smile] ]

[ 04. November 2008, 08:41: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My main plan is to sit in bed wiv it plugged in vaguely surfing and using bbc iplayer to listen to BBC radio 7 - preferably whilst quaffing decaff coffee and the odd chocolate.

Maybe also a bit of skype.

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Well, DT, that sounds doable. [Biased]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Anyone else having problems accessing the BBC websites and BBC radio on the web? All seem down to me; various UK and international sites, like npr.org though are ok. Prolly the sheer load of traffic... [Confused]

--------------------

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doublethink:
My main plan is to sit in bed wiv it plugged in vaguely surfing and using bbc iplayer to listen to BBC radio 7 - preferably whilst quaffing decaff coffee and the odd chocolate.

Maybe also a bit of skype.

I recently got an Acer Aspire One netbook, and it's great for basic use of Internet, iPlayer, word processing and so on. The keyboard is pretty usable for the size. Because it's so small (around half the size of a conventional laptop) it's really easy to carry around. For extra geek points, I got the Linux option [Smile]
Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Anyone else having problems accessing the BBC websites and BBC radio on the web? All seem down to me; various UK and international sites, like npr.org though are ok. Prolly the sheer load of traffic... [Confused]

Ping details here:
quote:
Pinging www.bbc.co.uk

www.bbc.co.uk CNAME www.bbc.net.uk
www.bbc.net.uk A 212.58.253.67

PING www.bbc.net.uk (212.58.253.67) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from www-vip.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (212.58.253.67): icmp_seq=1 ttl=115 time=98.5 ms
64 bytes from www-vip.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (212.58.253.67): icmp_seq=2 ttl=115 time=98.5 ms
64 bytes from www-vip.cwwtf.bbc.co.uk (212.58.253.67): icmp_seq=3 ttl=115 time=98.6 ms

--- www.bbc.net.uk ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2003ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 98.571/98.587/98.618/0.021 ms

Seems the site is up and running, but not responding? Comments please?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016