homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Stranger in a strange land
Shipmate
# 11922

- Posted      Profile for Stranger in a strange land   Email Stranger in a strange land   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry Thurible, but this sounds like a world of pain unless actually sat at the machine!

(But first thing I'd be looking at is Device manager)

Posts: 608 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread on Acer mouse problems indicates that a number of people had either accidentally toggled mouse off using Fn+F7, or the setting had been toggled accidentally during a software operation of some kind. Does Fn+F7 do anything for you, Thurible, otherwise I think you do need to look at the Device Manager.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an mp4 file on my Windows XP desktop that apparently contains 0 octets and refuses to be deleted (it says it cannot read from the source). I have tried swapping profiles and other moves but nothing will shift it. Suggestions for getting rid of the unsightly thing welcome.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"Always perform this action"

Okay I was a fool and clicked the Fatal Button. Now how do I get it to NOT always do that action?

The action in question and context: When I plug my digital camera into my computer, it automatically creates a directory with today's date, and downloads all the photos on the camera into that folder.

I've decided I don't want to do that action automatically any more, but can't figure out how to make it stop doing that.

Who will rescue me from this body of death?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you go into workstation and right-click on the relevant peripheral device and then "properties", there is a tab called something like "automatic execution" (or your English equivalent). You will get the same menu as that fatal one, and in contradiction to all good Reformed doctrine, get a second chance beyond death to unclick the option (I think).

Now, sombeody please fix my problem...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
This thread on Acer mouse problems indicates that a number of people had either accidentally toggled mouse off using Fn+F7, or the setting had been toggled accidentally during a software operation of some kind. Does Fn+F7 do anything for you, Thurible, otherwise I think you do need to look at the Device Manager.

Thank you! I've just tried Fn + F7 and can now unplug my USB mouse. Many, many thanks.

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Tor:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
AUGH! I have a document stuck in the print queue that simply will.not.go.away! I googled

quote:
Windows XP "document stuck in the print queue"
and found a lot of nonsense and one wonderful site that says "reboot the computer. If that doesn't work turn the printer on and off." You mouth-breathing morons, I wouldn't have gone surfing for an answer if those had already worked.

I'd like to be able to print again. Does anybody here have any REAL advice? Please?

Yes. Click on Start>Run>type "net stop spooler" (minus quotes).

Ought to work...

Edit - restart your computer afterwards.

No need to reboot...

net stop spooler

wait 10 mins

net start spooler.

Job done.

Our helpdesk used to do this all the time (it's a script - sod it, they can resolve that at first line)

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
If you go into workstation and right-click on the relevant peripheral device and then "properties", there is a tab called something like "automatic execution" (or your English equivalent). You will get the same menu as that fatal one, and in contradiction to all good Reformed doctrine, get a second chance beyond death to unclick the option (I think).

How do I go into "workstation"?

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Never mind, I figured out the larger issue -- I right click on the camera icon and select "properties" -- worked fine. Thanks!

--------------------

Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Suggestions for getting rid of the unsightly thing welcome.

If you don't mind a suggestion from someone who wouldn't dream of using MS in the first place, I guess that explorer.exe "owns" the file because it's on the desktop GUI. So,
  • Open Task Manager and display the Processes panel. Leave it open until told to close it later
  • Kill all instances of the explorer.exe process.
  • The desktop GUI will disappear.
  • In the DOS shell, navigate to the path for the problematic file and then use the "del" command to delete it.
  • Enter "exit" in the DOS shell to close it.
  • In Task Manager, use the File -> New Task to start a new instance of "explorer.exe".
  • The desktop GUI reappears.
  • Close Task Manager.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Thanks; I had just figured out how to do more or less that in MS-Dos using cmd.exe (and boy did that take me back) without having to go through the task manager stage. This involved remembering/looking up a lot of MS-Dos for how to get to the desktop directory (the "cd" command), how to delete a file ("del") and, a new one for me, how to find the file's 8-character name ("dir /x").

It was a bit like remembering how to do an oil change on your car rather than have the garage do it for you.

[ 08. December 2008, 04:58: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
How do I go into "workstation"?

I'm glad my suggestion helped; for the record, the workstation icon should be on the right-hand half of the "start" menu beneath "my documents" and so on. If you right-click on it you can put it as an icon on your desktop. I use it all the time in preference to Windows Explorer.

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Workstation. Is that maybe another name for "My Computer"?

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
Workstation. Is that maybe another name for "My Computer"?

Ah, sorry, yes. Backtranslations from crummy French MS translations are not my strong suit (it's amazing how much more intuitive the English titles are).

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone getting any nice geeky presents for themselves, or pretend their love one(s)?

I'd have loved the DELL 2408WFP 24" monitor, but it's just outrageously costly at the moment. Better luck later, perhaps?

Looking at those mini notebooks ('netbooks'), I quite like the HP 2133, but it too tends to get rather hot (as tested on a continually running model in a shop) and the sound is not brilliant, though of course you'd have to make concessions when getting a netbook. I also looked at some other machines, like a new ASUS (I think) which comes with a free external USB DVD burner.

So, nothing much up for myself there at the moment, just a few thoughts really. But what about you? [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a new year's resolution, I'd like to learn a bit about building a website. Nothing fancy, but I do want to understand what I'm putting together.

What's the best place to start? Learning how to use Dreamweaver? Or is there another option I should consider?

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you want to know what's going on behind the scenes, I think it's useful to learn to code HTML "by hand" - using some member of the vi family or another text editor. That way you know what common tags are, how they work, and what they should look like. It also teaches you what is really necessary, and what is fluff. If you know what typical tags look like, and later switch to something like Dreamweaver, you can go in and poke at your code if its giving you fits. Knowing how to do things by hand also allows you to go in and edit later, if other software is not available for some reason.

I find that it's hard to go wrong with books by O'Reilly, www.ora.com. For HTML and website construction they have books for everyone from absolute beginners to web professionals.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am not a full developer by any means but I'd second Otter's suggestion of O'Reilly books. The HTML one will have the basics. Also from these boards I came across W3 Schools Online Web tutorials which are pretty comprehensive.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learnt a bit about website coding without spending money by using the open source web design application Nvu. There is plenty of opportunity here to flip between graphical layout and html views to see what code is doing what etc.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aaaagh! My laptop won't boot. It starts up, shows the logo screen with the options for going into setup, booting from LAN (not got one) or changing boot order, and then goes to a black screen with a flashing cursor whose position suggests that it thinks it has a much smaller screen.

The hard drive light doesn't come on, and it won't boot from the CD drive either, so the recovery disks are useless.

It's a Compaq Presario 2100, and is about 5 years old. Has anyone got any suggestions, or should I accept that it's just died from old age? [Waterworks]

(It's my fault, I know it is ... I shouldn't have left it overnight next to a copy of What Laptop...)

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Drifting Star

I am not an expert so I googled and found this page which seems to be the answers to someone struggling with a similar problem. There are a number of suck it and see solutions on the page.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Jengie. I'll print that out and give it to Starman (who is patiently spending many hours trying everything he can think of), whilst letting me use his laptop. [Axe murder]

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice above. I think learning more about html would be a good place to start.

From what you've all said, it sounds as though I don't necessarily need a dedicated software package in order to create a website - is that right?

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Hazey

I built the website in my profile from the ground up using an O'Reilly book. The site is not very sophisticated but it does what it needs to. It is useful but not indispensable to have an html editor. There are plenty of these available as free downloads. You write your code in one window and can toggle to view what it will look like as a web page.

[ETA that was a lie as I appear to have changed the link in my profile. The site I meant was this one!]

[ 29. December 2008, 12:09: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used the free Alleycode HTML Editor and quite like it. (No for Vista, as it seems.)

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Drifting Star

# 12799

I started off using various free html editors, and they are a good way of getting going. I soon realised that it was easier to work directly with html, but the editors gave me a good grounding first.

If you use Firefox, right clicking on a page and choosing 'view source' is also quite useful to help you to understand how people achieve certain looks. And www.w3schools.com is also very useful as a quick way of looking things up.

And Starman has brought my laptop back from the brink of death, by the simple application of persistence and bloody-mindedness I think (and an understanding of what goes on underneath Windows) - and everything appears to still be there, if not all in quite the right place...

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
If you use Firefox, right clicking on a page and choosing 'view source' is also quite useful to help you to understand how people achieve certain looks.

Woah. Never done that before. [Eek!]

Interesting...

QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I posted this query in All Saints but was advised to move it here...

any wannabe (or sucessful?) writers out there using script formatting software? What do you use? I started with something based on MSWord, which I got through tbe BBC, but now I'm on Linux I'm starting out with CeltX.

So far it seems OK but I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra effort. There were rave reviews on the internet, but maybe they just have good PR.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Any takers for the above, please? Thank you very much. [Smile]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
If you use Firefox, right clicking on a page and choosing 'view source' is also quite useful to help you to understand how people achieve certain looks.

Woah. Never done that before. [Eek!]

Interesting...

There should have been a bit in front of Drifting Stars advice say something like look at a simple page first... not ship-of-fools bulletin boards. I realised one of my really early webpages was resurrected earlier this year which again was done with a text editor and O'Reilly books. Even though I now have html editors I still use the basic text approach but it is good for checking how things work.

Oh my html rarely looks more complicated than that though the current look is more sophisticated. I use CSS sheets to create it.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
There should have been a bit in front of Drifting Stars advice say something like look at a simple page first... not ship-of-fools bulletin boards. I realised one of my really early webpages was resurrected earlier this year which again was done with a text editor and O'Reilly books. Even though I now have html editors I still use the basic text approach but it is good for checking how things work.

Ooh, very good point, Jengie. I just took a quick look at the page for another thread, and it isn't easy to make heads or tails of.

My sillier personal web pages are here. I think most of them, like Jengie's, should be pretty easy to follow.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Need urgent input from the Win and *Nix geeks!

Am about to get a new system and am in a quandry about the OS. Loathe the latest MS manifestations but care very much about gaming compatibility and performance.

Sys will have 4Gb ram, which the 32 bit OS's won't even fully address [Disappointed] Wot should I do?! (Don't want to buy such an old soon to-be-unsupported OS as XP Pro for my new sys but fear the incompatibilities of Vista 64bit)

• Heard that you can get XP Pro (64bit) downgrade included with the Vista Business versions. Might this be a good work around? Use XP Pro until Win 7 SP1 comes out. Any issues arise with XP can swap back to Vista or vice versa.
  • I remember FD, AP and other Unix gurus singing the praises of Linux and how it can run Win as a task within it faster than native Win runs!! Is this really true? My games are graphix & CPU intensive online MMRPGs.
Is this a viable set up? And what do I need to accomplish it? I know nothing about Linux.

For CPU I was just going to go E8400 (Core 2 Duo 3Ghz) but will drop the gigs a bit and go quadcore if this would be beneficial to a 'Win within Linux' setup.

Anyone got experience say running Warhammer or WoW in these OS's? (Vista 64bit, Win within Linux, XP 64bit) Wot sorta performance can I expect?

This is 'srs bsns'!!! Any advice gratefully received!

(Looking at Asus Rampage Extreme for the mobo. Mmm Mmm!!! So totally sexy!! Haven't decided on Gfx card yet, but will be a Crossfire setup - initially was going for the Gigabyte 1Gb but 2 of those is kinda excessive)

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are two ways of doing this: emulation or virtualisation.

The Linux (GNU/Linux if one wants to be pedantic) community has an emulator called WINE, free and already bundled with most "distros" (distributions, flavours of Linux, eg Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSuse), and free and easily added to others. WINE kids MS .dlls that they're being called by MS Windows. There's no need for a running copy of MS Windows.

But it's a bit fiddly for a Linux newbie, so I'd recommend a commercial, paid-for (but Open-source) version called Crossover Games. Remember, MS Windows doesn't need to be running on a machine with Crossover/WINE.

With virtualisation, you need a copy of MS Windows to run on a virtual, or pretend, machine within your real machine's operating environment. With 4GB of RAM, I'd devote, say, 1.5GB to the virtual machine, which also takes some of your disk to make up a virtual disk. Optical drives, USB and network are allocated from the real machine. The two major products, both free as in lunch but only one free as in speech, are Sun's VirtualBox (free as in speech and lunch) and VMWare.

I think that the first option, emulation, with Crossover Games is best for what you want, JD. If you're buying a "white box", you won't need to buy a MS licence at all. Have a shufti at the supported games on the website. Just because a game isn't listed, doesn't mean that someone else hasn't made it work fine.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need a new computer. I don't play games or compile code. I need the computer so I can read email, surf the web, write resumes, create a webpage, and similar stuff related to a job search.

Since I'm not currently working, I need the computer to be cheap.

I'm used to using a really fast Dell laptop running XP, with a secondary (very large flat-screen) monitor and a nice ergonomic keyboard because I have a bit of arthritis in my wrists. I'm not going to be able to duplicate that, of course. But that's what I'm used to.

Any suggestions?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cheapest new is a netbook such as EEE-pc or Acer Aspire One. And you can get them without Windows which I think is a bonus [Smile]

If you need something chunkier than that and if portability is not a requirement then the cheapest way to get a decent desktop Windows system is to buy second-hand and upgrade by adding new memory chips and possibly a new hard disk. (Or even new CPU though there are a few more things to consider there)

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a spare 2ghz box for you Josephine - if you don't mind being deskbound. Will call tomorrow at a decent hour.

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gort, you're an angel! Mousethief has the box connected to the network, and he's loading software on it right now. I'll be using it in the morning.

Thank you so much!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww, yer welcome, Josephine! Glad you can put it to good use!

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
Originally posted by John Donne:

...[list]
[*]Heard that you can get XP Pro (64bit) downgrade included with the Vista Business versions. Might this be a good work around? Use XP Pro until Win 7 SP1 comes out. Any issues arise with XP can swap back to Vista or vice versa...

If you want this downgrade you might have to hurry. I read this weekend that MS have only allowed it until the end of January.

I have this setup, and am very happy with it. I haven't so much as prodded at the Vista part, I'm just taking it on faith that it's there somewhere, and hoping to keep XP going until 7 is around.

--------------------

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mm. This is a silly qu I'm sure, but is there any issue addressing 4Gb ram with the Linux destros?

I am leaning towards Virtualised - wondering wot my speed reduction will be like.

The crossover doesn't look like it will do it for my situation - absolutely need 100% compat for those 2 games. My leisure must proceed smoothly: unwinding with a mmrpg is sometimes the only thing that keeps me sane. Quiet youse mumbling about it not working!

Even if I don't go the Linux route on the new box am planning to set the old box up with it. Seems like something One Must Know About. Time to pop my Linux Penguin or something.

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

quote:
Originally posted by John Donne:
Mm. This is a silly qu I'm sure, but is there any issue addressing 4Gb ram with the Linux destros?

You've been using MS too long [Biased] Nae bother up to 64GB with 64bit cpus.

You shouldn't notice any speed difference between the host and guest environments. Since RAM is so cheap, if you have spare slots, why not get 8GB and allocate 4GB to the MS guest?

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
As a new year's resolution, I'd like to learn a bit about building a website. Nothing fancy, but I do want to understand what I'm putting together.

What's the best place to start? Learning how to use Dreamweaver? Or is there another option I should consider?

I have never looked at this thread before because I knew I wouldn't understand any of it! However, thought I'd just take a peek today ... which mostly reinforced my first thoughts. [Smile]

For the past year my computer teacher has been teaching me how to make a web site. He said to use Word and when blank document comes up, do Alt+F+A and save as 'Web page design'. This means that Word will then make everything you type into shtml (?) so that it can be put on line with an FTP thing. I reckon it will take me another year at least to get it sort of finished - but it's very interesting, and challenging, to do it.

What does Fn mean?

And the main reason to look here today: A friend has lent me a CDRom thing of cartoons (so that I can choose some to decorate above mentioned web site) and I wonder if it is best to download it on the computer, or use it from the CD each time? What do the proper geeks here think, please?

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:

For the past year my computer teacher has been teaching me how to make a web site. He said to use Word and when blank document comes up, do Alt+F+A and save as 'Web page design'. This means that Word will then make everything you type into shtml (?) so that it can be put on line with an FTP thing. I reckon it will take me another year at least to get it sort of finished - but it's very interesting, and challenging, to do it.

What does Fn mean?

shtml (as opposed to html) indicates that the actual web server that you will upload your page to will be adding some content - typically this is something that will be changing that you'd want updated on the fly, like a count of times the page was accessed, comments, etc. (I haven't done any shtml, myself, all my pages are completely static.)

FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, which is a standard for moving data around, so that both the sending and receiving computers are, essentially, making the same assumptions about how things will be happening. An FTP client is the program that you actually interact with to move the data.

Fn, to my mind at least, stands for Function, as in the Function keys (F1 through F8 or F12) on your keyboard. If that doesn't make sense, what's the context you're seeing it in?

--------------------

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Word is horrible for web design. Ok for a single page maybe but not for handling links etc. and certainly not for someone new to html.

If you have a mac, iWeb is good. I personally like KompoZer which is very simple to learn but has all the proper features expected of a web editor application.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

<> indicates a key

Firstly I think your tutor is saying <alt>&<f> then <a>. That key stroke arrangement brings up the file menu and select "save as" in Word. You need to hit the <alt> and the <f> at the same time but <a> just follows on.

<fn> key appears on some lap tops and allows you to do the supplementary functions that are on the function keys. These are none standard, but do things like: put windows into hibernate mode, change screen from lap top own to a different one.

As others have said Word is horrible for writing webpages and I have used it, but it took me as long to tidy up the webpages I made with it as it did to write them. The pages automatically look as if they were something complicated similar to Ship of Fools bulletin board even when they are a really simple page.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
For the past year my computer teacher has been teaching me how to make a web site. He said to use Word

/dies a little inside.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If someone is already familiar with Word, and isn't trying to do anything complicated, then using Word's Web Page Wizard may be a good straightforward "quick and dirty" way for them to put together a few personal web pages. Here is a PDF guide from a District School Board in California.

On the other hand, as soon as anything a little bit more complicated is wanted, it is likely to need something that allows a bit more flexibility. They are also going to need to spend a bit more time on understanding how web sites work.

I think there is a horses for courses thing here.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firstly - many thanks for the replies. I think the link to website is on my profile, but if you would like to have a glance at this - very much a 'work in progress'! - then this is the link. Some of the links don't go anywhere and some of the pictures don't come up properly.

quote:
Otter
shtml (as opposed to html) indicates that the actual web server that you will upload your page to will be adding some content - typically this is something that will be changing that you'd want updated on the fly, like a count of times the page was accessed, comments, etc. (I haven't done any shtml, myself, all my pages are completely static.)

I am using the web space provided by ISP. Do they do this automatically, or will they tell me they are doing it?
quote:
FTP stands for File Transfer Protocol, which is a standard for moving data around, so that both the sending and receiving computers are, essentially, making the same assumptions about how things will be happening. An FTP client is the program that you actually interact with to move the data.
Apart from having to keep reminding myself which are files and which are folders, I am, very slowly, beginning to get the hang of this.
quote:
Fn, to my mind at least, stands for Function, as in the Function keys (F1 through F8 or F12) on your keyboard. If that doesn't make sense, what's the context you're seeing it in?
I just noticed it in another post on this page and wondered what it meant!
quote:
Mr. Spouse
Word is horrible for web design. Ok for a single page maybe but not for handling links etc. and certainly not for someone new to html.

To turn headings into links, I highlight them, do right click, choose 'hyperlink' then make sure the correct name is in the edit area then press Enter for OK..... but only when teacher is here! Having to use Dolphin Supernova (9) makes things a little more complicated.
I would be interested to know why Word is horrible for web design - that is, if you think I would understand the answer! [Smile]
quote:
If you have a mac, iWeb is good. I personally like KompoZer which is very simple to learn but has all the proper features expected of a web editor application.
I bought the whole computer set-up (originally Microsoft Windows 98 and now XP) from Dolphin, because they recommend their software with that and set it all up in the best way for each particular customer.
quote:
Jengie Jon
<> indicates a key

Firstly I think your tutor is saying <alt>&<f> then <a>. That key stroke arrangement brings up the file menu and select "save as" in Word. You need to hit the <alt> and the <f> at the same time but <a> just follows on.

Yes; thank you. I use key strokes nearly all the time RATHER THAN THE MOUSE, listening to the screen reader, as it is much easier than trying to see the screen. i KEEP THE MAGNIFICATION ON MOST OF THE TIME THOUGH.
quote:
<fn> key appears on some lap tops and allows you to do the supplementary functions that are on the function keys. These are none standard, but do things like: put windows into hibernate mode, change screen from lap top own to a different one.
I haven't got a laptop. I must say I have been tempted to get one, but it would be impractical!
quote:
As others have said Word is horrible for writing webpages and I have used it, but it took me as long to tidy up the webpages I made with it as it did to write them. The pages automatically look as if they were something complicated similar to Ship of Fools bulletin board even when they are a really simple page.
I have a sort of template to use.
quote:
the_raptor
/dies a little inside.

Oh dear!! But that did make me laugh - thank you! [Big Grin]
quote:
BroJames
If someone is already familiar with Word, and isn't trying to do anything complicated, then using Word's Web Page Wizard may be a good straightforward "quick and dirty" way for them to put together a few personal web pages. Here is a PDF guide from a District School Board in California.

On the other hand, as soon as anything a little bit more complicated is wanted, it is likely to need something that allows a bit more flexibility. They are also going to need to spend a bit more time on understanding how web sites work.

I'm just sticking to very simple!!

Susan

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

... and having just spent a very interesting half hour or so typing that, I looked back at my previous post and [Smile] [Confused] [Smile] see that no-one has answered my question about the cartoons CD!!!
I would be grateful for info on that. Thank you.

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

As for the Cartoons CD, there may be copyright issues to take into account...

Purely from the usage point of view it's a question of balancing ease of use against available storage space on your hard disk.

If you've had a look at the CD, and you think you are going to use the cartoons frequently then it may be worth you copying the whole CD onto your hard disk. But if you are not going to use them very often or if you are short of hard disk storage space then it may be better to leave them on the CD, and just insert the CD on those occasions when you want to find a cartoon.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016