homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
Firstly - many thanks for the replies. I think the link to website is on my profile, but if you would like to have a glance at this - very much a 'work in progress'! - then this is the link. Some of the links don't go anywhere and some of the pictures don't come up properly.

It looks good to me, I only ran into one dead link.

quote:
quote:
Otter
shtml (as opposed to html) indicates that the actual web server that you will upload your page to will be adding some content - typically this is something that will be changing that you'd want updated on the fly, like a count of times the page was accessed, comments, etc. (I haven't done any shtml, myself, all my pages are completely static.)

I am using the web space provided by ISP. Do they do this automatically, or will they tell me they are doing it?
I think you have to put the appropriate hooks (bits of code) into your shtml which would then trigger the content you want the ISP to provide. At the moment, I don't see anything on your pages that would need the ISP-provided content, the text and pictures can all be done with html. OTOH, it may be easier to add dynamic content later if if start out with shtml.

[quote]I would be interested to know why Word is horrible for web design - that is, if you think I would understand the answer! [Smile] [quote]

You're probably smart enough! As others have said, Word produces html that displays fine, but is ugly and complicated to try to parse directly - for instance, if you want all text on a page to be a particular size, color, and alignment, you can set that the first time you enter text. If you don't want to tweak a specific parameter, you just don't. Word, IIRC, goes through and sets the flags for that for every single paragraph-ish chunk of text, and specifies something for every possibility. It's harder to debug, or figure out what you meant to do if you need to go back in and poke at it later, and don't have Word available.

Your vision issues add another wrinkle that I suspect most of us weren't considering. In that case, you probably do want to stick with a WYSIWYG editor of some kind. Word works in that regard, and it does mean that you don't have to learn a new piece of software, make sure it plays nice with your keyboard shortcuts, etc., but it's not the best tool for the job.

My husband is also a big fan of keyboard shortcuts, as well as the programmable buttons on his Wacom tablet. He gets frustrated with me sometimes for not using them, I suspect. [Smile]

Sorry about skipping your question about the cartoons. It's something of an "it depends" answer, I think. If you think you'll be accessing them frequently, then copying them to your computer will make it quicker/easier to do. If you aren't blessed with a super-abundance of drive space, then you may not want to, or go with a compromise of putting them on your hard drive then deleting them once your main use is finished, or just copying over the ones that you think you're likely to want.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
I'm just sticking to very simple!!

Good!

But that is exactly why starting with Word is NOT a good thing. It's ok for basic pages but like Jengie Jon said once you do know a little bit more you will find yourself undoing a lot of the fancy and unnecessary stuff Microsoft throw in. A proper HTML composer application makes it so much simpler to add links, images and tables.

One thing you should definitely do is test your pages in more than one browser. Something that looks great in Internet Explorer may not display so well in Firefox, Safari or Opera!

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK Cartoons CD is where I think Word will show its colours. You want to use it to decorate your website fine but....

In the web all picture files are stored separately to the HTML/SHTML files even when displayed on a page created by the html. This means that if you save the html directly to the website it may be fine but if you ftp it you must make sure:

1)All the files created by Word go across

2)That the pointer for the cartoon files point to the cartoon files at the right location.

Fail on either of these and the webpage will not display correctly. If the second does not work automatically and you want to fiddle it to get it right you will run across the messy code of Word.

Word may have improved since I tried to do these things in it. I hope it has but the only way to include those pictures correctly on the website without messing with code was to put them on the website first and then write the page pulling them in from the website.

Sorry to break the bad news to you.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BroJames, Otter, Mr.Spouse and Jengie Jon

Many thanks for your replies. I think from what you have said that I will just use the CD when wanted.

I will read again (several times!) all the info on html, Word, etc. I can see that there is a great deal of interesting stuff to keep me occupied for years!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
the_raptor
Shipmate
# 10533

- Posted      Profile for the_raptor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
In that case, you probably do want to stick with a WYSIWYG editor of some kind. Word works in that regard

Except it doesn't because HTML is not WYSIWYG. That is really the major problem with Word web design, it tricks newbies into thinking HTML works like a .DOC. Of course this is an issue with pretty much every GUI based web design program out there.

As someone who has to do maintenance on a web site designed that way, it is really annoying to have to deal with all the cruft (Dreamweavers shoddy auto-generated JavaScript can burn in Hell).

And honestly learning how to do manual basic HTML layout is not harder than learning to do it in Word. Especially as it will teach you how HTML really works, and not hide it behind a false WYSIWYG front.

Word HTML is like using a paint ball gun to do paint by numbers.

--------------------
Mal: look at this! Appears we got here just in the nick of time. What does that make us?
Zoe: Big damn heroes, sir!
Mal: Ain't we just?
— Firefly

Posts: 3921 | From: Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by the_raptor:
quote:
In that case, you probably do want to stick with a WYSIWYG editor of some kind. Word works in that regard

Except it doesn't because HTML is not WYSIWYG. That is really the major problem with Word web design, it tricks newbies into thinking HTML works like a .DOC. Of course this is an issue with pretty much every GUI based web design program out there.

I realize Word isn't truly WYSIWYG, but when working with someone very new to all this, it looks/feels WYSIWYG, and there isn't another good term to distinguish it from real WYSIWYG.

When we first made our small business' web site, we did it with, IIRC Star Office (which later morphed/split into OpenOffice) Writer. When I took over from Mr. Otter' after a couple years, I realized what a mistake we'd made. Gah! Crufty useless tags everywhere! I spent a bunch of time cleaning up that mess (and going to CSS for page layout).

A couple years ago I made a 20-something's brain hurt when he asked what we used to build/maintain our site and I responded "vi". The idea of attacking the html directly with an editor was clearly foreign. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Surely it was more that you used vi which isn't at all user friendly...
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any text editor will do. I use Notepad, simply because it's there.

But yes: html has relatively few cmds, customisable with tags and switchs. css is slightly more complicated, but it's not like learning a foreign language, and you can cut-n-paste scripts, then fiddle with them to learn what they do.

You aren't going to break anything by playing. But then again, I was brought up on Basic and became a Fortran God at uni. Kids these days think programming involves making a ppt presentation. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:

Actually, I use vim, which has pull-down menus for the functions I don't remember the keyboard shortcuts for (most of them), so I don't find it any more difficult than, say, Word, WordPad, or any other text-munching software. I like the color-coding it does for tags vs. content, errors, etc.; and also the automatic indenting.

(I am not a vi zealot, and think the whole vi/emacs holy war is really stupid)

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help! My computers can't all see each other.

Owing to no longer having a work-supplied laptop computer, my lovely wife has had to switch to a desktop computer (courtesy of a shipmate who shall remain gortless). We installed XP Home and all the usual beasties, but can't get it to talk pretty to the rest of the network. In particular it can't see the computer that the printer is hooked up to, at all. Since that's the only printer we own, this means it can't print.

Now it can see my computer on the workgroup, but when you click on it it says it can't see it. But it can't see nor see (if you get my drift) the print server.

Anybody know how to work this? Other than burning Bill Gates in effigy, which isn't very Christian and probably not efficacious.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Anybody know how to work this?

If you must use a MS O/S, then the easiest, quickest and most secure way of setting up a home network is to fork out under $50 for Network Magic. Macs can be integrated into the network, as can Linux/Solaris/Unix machines but only MS and Macs can run the Network Magic client. Highly recommended by FD Computing Magazine, which hasn't actually commenced circulation yet, nor probably ever will.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
If you must use a MS O/S, then the easiest, quickest and most secure way of setting up a home network is to fork out under $50 for Network Magic.

I use Network magic for my three - two wired and one wireless. It is indeed the dog's whatsits.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I agree, and in a non-GUI mode neither of them are user friendly.
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Help! My computers can't all see each other.

Owing to no longer having a work-supplied laptop computer, my lovely wife has had to switch to a desktop computer (courtesy of a shipmate who shall remain gortless). We installed XP Home and all the usual beasties, but can't get it to talk pretty to the rest of the network.

I would have chosen XP Professional. However, you may find this Microsoft technote helpful.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
However, you may find this Microsoft technote helpful.

Sadly the core chapters -- the ones that include the stuff I was having trouble with -- don't appear to exist on the Microsoft site. I shall continue to stitch together the effigy of Mr Gates.

--------------------

Alfred E. Neuman

What? Me worry?
# 6855

- Posted      Profile for Alfred E. Neuman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has it something to do with permissions on the computer hosting the printer? Also - does the desktop machine have the same name as Jo's old laptop? Maybe some sort of conflict there. Was the laptop removed from the network or just unplugged? Grasping at straws here.

[ 23. January 2009, 02:27: Message edited by: Gort ]

--------------------
--Formerly: Gort--

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having had similar hair-tearing-out episodes trying to get network computers to talk, I would guess at share names. (Doesn't matter whether it's XP Home or XP Pro, the same complications happen, it's just less hidden in Pro)

Open a command window (Start/Run type cmd and press Enter) then type NET SHARE in the window and press Enter. That will show you all the network shares operative (including some you may have thought you got rid of long ago). If any look like they may conflict, get rid by entering NET SHARE /DELETE.

To set up a share, make sure all the PCs have the same network group name (the default is MSHOME), and unique computer names.

For further guidance try this link.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I agree, and in a non-GUI mode neither of them are user friendly. [/QB][/QUOTE]
I'm a vim fancier, and my response would be that, as with Unix, it's quite user friendly. It's just a little picky about which users it befriends. [Big Grin]

I agree about the holy wars, though.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Gort:
Has it something to do with permissions on the computer hosting the printer? Also - does the desktop machine have the same name as Jo's old laptop? Maybe some sort of conflict there. Was the laptop removed from the network or just unplugged? Grasping at straws here.

The laptop was never on the network per se. I'm going to try Mr Spouse's thing and see what entails. Stay tuned.

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting occasional warnings from Firefox that I really ought to upgrade to version 3.0.5. I'm currently using 2.0.0.20, just haven't got round to upgrading as yet (only been getting the squawks since mid-Dec, and had a few more urgent things to deal with!).

What do people think of Firefox 3? Should I upgrade?

Thanks

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Celtic Knotweed:

What do people think of Firefox 3? Should I upgrade?

It seems to behave itself well enough here. Haven't seen any downsides to upgrading.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No problems, and I noticed an increase in speed when I changed, so I'd say go for it!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know anything about Macs? I have one that has developed a rather annoying little bug... problem.... quirk? The desktop flashes off for a mere second and if I'm typing something like I'm typing something now... the little flash happens and the active windows all become grayed out as if they aren't active anymore and any text I was typing when the little on/off thing happened disappears.

I have already tried Disk Utility but it didn't work. Instead I got this notice:

Verifying volume “Untitled 1”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Illegal name_
Illegal name_
Checking multi-linked files.
og hierarchy.",0)
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
The volume The volume ed 1 needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

HELP! This problem is more than annoying! I don't have the start up disks handy... gotta search through many, many boxes today.

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
No problems, and I noticed an increase in speed when I changed, so I'd say go for it!

I've had it crash a few times since I changed, usually when my wife had left it open under her user account and I switched users without her logging off. But it's an old machine that may not have the resources to handle two browsers at the same time.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The5thMary
Shipmate
# 12953

- Posted      Profile for The5thMary   Email The5thMary   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My problem has been fixed. If anyone else is having difficulties with their Macintosh, similar to what I described, I know what's probably causing it and I can tell you how to fix it.

What a relief! I don't have to fork over $$ to fix it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
God gave me my face but She let me pick my nose.

Posts: 3451 | From: Tacoma, WA USA | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In every browser on every computer in our house (which run off the same ISP but are not networked), Google has just started returning results which are all flagged as containing malware. Clicking on the link sends you to a page purporting to be from Google advising you about malware and containing further links, some of which are broken.

The only way of actually reaching the sites returned is to physically copy and paste the link in green text.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem and does anyone have any idea what it is due to?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I've just been getting that, much to my bemusement. I've no idea why. Has Google just been hacked or something?
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The same thing is happening here. Was glad to see your post.

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a screenshot of the results page, and here is the page clicking either of the blue links takes you too.

Yahoo seems to work, slowly (does this mean they have just picked up all Google's traffic?). I'm guessing a glitch rather than a hack but it's sort of reassuring to know that I'm not the only one. I think...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to be back to normal now (will it last?). That was weird.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Slashdot users seem to have noticed, too. Meanwhile, they just seem to have mended it. Glad I got a screenshot.

[x-posted with Ariel]

[ 31. January 2009, 14:22: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Jack o' the Green
Shipmate
# 11091

- Posted      Profile for Jack o' the Green   Email Jack o' the Green   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Glad other people got this as well. I thought something had changed the setting s on the computer.
Posts: 3121 | From: Lancashire, England | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mmm, nice to know I'm not alone in google having been temporarily not my friend.

The BBC has reported it:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7862840.stm

I temporarily went over to using yahoo and gigablast.

quote:
Originally posted by Angus McDangley:
Glad other people got this as well. I thought something had changed the setting s on the computer.

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am tearing my hair out because of the dictionary on Word (2002) constantly reverting to US English and 'correcting' my spelling without telling me.

I have checked the settings via Microsoft Office Tools - all set to UK English, with US English not even enabled. Going through Tools from inside Word I select UK English, and within seconds it has reverted to US (whether or not I have it set to detect language automatically).

I've been through this before and sorted it out, but it has reverted for some reason, and I can't remember what I did before. Pleeeeeaaaaaase can someone tell me the magic formula?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you recently had a file emailed to you that was in Word?

Sometimes they alter your normal template and if that is set to US English you will get this happening.

Here is a webpage with information on normal.dot which is your normal template. It tells you where to find it.

What I suggest you do is find it, open it, do <cntrl>&<a> to select everything. Then set the language to UK English. Then save.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Thank you JJ.

Curious ... following the instructions for finding normal.doc showed the templates folder as empty (and yes, I was viewing hidden files and folders). Doing a search of all files and folders (including hidden) came up with nothing.

So ... I've created a blank document with the format I want and UK set as the language and saved it as normal.doc to the templates folder where it apparently should be.

Fingers crossed...

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
DS, you did realise that the file is called normal.dot, not normal.doc, didn't you? It isn't a word document per se, but a template upon which all word documents are based. A file called Normal.doc would be of little use in your quest to restore England to the English Language.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Yes I did Alban - they were a force-of-habit-typos (and maybe a bit of careless phrasing). Thanks though!

[ETA - So far so good, but let's see what happens tomorrow...]

[ 03. February 2009, 18:48: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

I've just read that a mere mortal can't create a normal.dot anyway, so I guess that isn't going to have worked... [Frown]

When I took a look, the file I created just isn't there in any form. [Frown] [Frown]

Apparently if there isn't one Word is supposed to create one when it needs it - but it hasn't. [Help]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Working in Word 2003 is different from earlier ones. It appears Microsoft in their wisdom has made normal.dot to cover several template files. Duh!!!

Go to tools, go to templates and see what it says in there for the templates. This will give you the templates active in the document you are working in (or I hope it does).

Go to tools, go to options, select file locations.
You should see that the startup file location and not the template one is the one where the templates appear.

If it is like my machine then the main normal template document seems to be called

EN10CWYW.dot

It should be in a directory like the following

c:\documents and settings\Drifting Star\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\startup\

Where "Drifting Star" is replaced with your username on the computer.

Jengie

[ 03. February 2009, 19:48: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Drifting Star

# 12799

Yay! Found it! I'm using 2002, so it was in the template folder. Interestingly, there was a corrupted version in there, and a new one which had the dictionary set to UK already, so it looks as though Word had finally got around to making a new one while I was fiddling with it.

Thanks very much Jengie. [Smile]

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
McAfee is giving me a difficult time, and I cannot deal with their so-called help desk. One waits forever and a day only to reach someone with no knowledge of U.S. English (or perhaps any other type of English). And they often have very little knowledge of their product as well.

Anyway... I have heard that there are free virus programs available. Has anyone had experience with any of these? Is there one you can recommend?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

AVG used to be the standard free one, until they made it very hard to get off their website. Avira is anothers and likewise has a for money version as well so you need to hunt for the free one (hence link). Then there are the firewall cum antivirus of Commodo only caution is that my father seems to regularly ban his email and webbrowser from using the internet with this [brick wall] . Finally ZoneAlarm Firewall alright not the free one but the upgrade that has antivirus, so far has suited me.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes I've used both AVG and Avast, both free. The latter in particular is really easy to set up and seems to work fine. At least once a day you get a little spoken announcement that 'virus database has been updated' (in an American accent!) which I find rather reassuring.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Too late to edit, so just adding the link to the free avast here.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jengie Jon and Gracious rebel!

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I had a PC, I used the free Zonealarm and Avast. Worked really well and I had no problems. I also used commonsense unlike Mr L. who would happily sign up on any dodgy website and wondwr why I had to regularly help him clean things up. I also used to scan with Adaware.

Have forgotten any other details, it seems such a long time ago. [Biased]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just noticed this...

quote:
Originally posted by Qlib:
I posted this query in All Saints but was advised to move it here...

any wannabe (or sucessful?) writers out there using script formatting software? What do you use? I started with something based on MSWord, which I got through tbe BBC, but now I'm on Linux I'm starting out with CeltX.

So far it seems OK but I'm not convinced that it's worth the extra effort. There were rave reviews on the internet, but maybe they just have good PR.

CeltX is the best open source scriptwriting software I've come across so far. It could be better, but it's pretty good once you get the hang of it and learn the shortcuts and stuff - I'd recommend it over ScriptSmart just because it's dedicated software rather than a bunch of macros, if that's what you were using before.

Final Draft works in Linux using Wine, and is the industry standard but expensive.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Argh.

Not entirely sure what happened, but my computer (Windows XP, all the latest updates) just rebooted itself. I said "hum, that's odd," and opened Thunderbird, my e-mail program. All my e-mails and e-mail accounts that I download to Thunderbird are gone as if they'd never existed, but my address book and calendar are still there.

Any ideas? Can I get them back, or do I just set the accounts up again? None of the e-mails are life or death, but it would be nice to have them back.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rosamundi it sounds from your description that your have a lost or corrupt prefs.js as described in this article. The good news is that your emails are almost certainly still there just not visible at the moment. The slightly less good news is that the instructions to fix it are a bit technical, and there's a fair bit of "if this then do that otherwise try the other then look at this" which makes it hard to give you an easy step-by-step guide.

Perhaps if you try to follow that article and post back here if/when you get stuck?

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016