homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul M:
Rosamundi it sounds from your description that your have a lost or corrupt prefs.js as described in this article. The good news is that your emails are almost certainly still there just not visible at the moment. The slightly less good news is that the instructions to fix it are a bit technical, and there's a fair bit of "if this then do that otherwise try the other then look at this" which makes it hard to give you an easy step-by-step guide.

Perhaps if you try to follow that article and post back here if/when you get stuck?

Oooh, that was a bit complicated! However, it's all done now and I've just installed Mozbackup so I'll hopefully never have to do that again...!

Thank you [Big Grin]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a question about Firefox which may apply to other browsers as well. It's not a problem, just a thing I'm curious about:

By what criteria, exactly, do webpages get added to the history column of Firefox? I've got things in the history column that I haven't been to in months, and the most recently visited (as opposed to returned-to) pages usually don't appear there, but will, of course, do the `auto-type' thing once you start entering the URL manually.
Does Firefox intelligently populate the list based on frequency of you visiting certain sites? That would make sense. I thought perhaps it might also have some bearing whether you go to a site by typing in the URL as opposed to clicking on a link to take you there.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wet Kipper
Circus Runaway
# 1654

- Posted      Profile for Wet Kipper   Email Wet Kipper   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
you mean when the address bar "drops down" ?

I thought it might be to do with typing things in, becuase the ship never appears there for me.

However, it is not the most recent "typed in" sites, as none of the sites I've manually entered in the last day or so appear there either.

maybe it's a combination of whether or not you've typed it in, and how often you've visited thereafter.

--------------------
- insert randomly chosen, potentially Deep and Meaningful™ song lyrics here -

Posts: 9841 | From: further up the Hill | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wet Kipper:
you mean when the address bar "drops down" ?

Yep that's the one.

--------------------

SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is an SoF question, so I don't know if it's the right place; but is thre any way I can tell which is the 'latest new post' I'm looking at? If I'm not sure where I was before, I go to the last post and then sort of hunt for the one I last read!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any advice on good free firewalls please? I've had Zone Alarm for a few years, but the latest version won't update until I download a hotfix from Microsoft that they don't stock any more. [brick wall]

Recommendations welcome.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Commodo is another one. I put it on my Dad's machine and apart from his ability to ban his internet browser and mailer, it seems to be okay.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
is thre any way I can tell which is the 'latest new post' I'm looking at?

The "latest new post" is probably a link to a particular post - that post number will be the last number of the URL in the address bar. If you hover the pointer over the little sheet of paper at the top left corner of each post, it in turn is the link to that particular post. It's just a matter of finding which one matches the original link.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
Any advice on good free firewalls please?

I useOnline armour.

For questions about good free stuff, I have tended to start referring to this site, which seems to have a pretty good handle on current freeware.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I will be moving in the next few weeks and I am a bit worried as to the best way to ensure my desktop PC makes the trip safely. I seem to remember years ago we used to be told we had to take out the hard drive to stop it being damaged, is this still necessary or will it be ok as long as I pack it carefully in a box with lots of padding?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As long as the machine is shut down properly (ie: give it whatever commands necessary for your OS to shut down, don't just yank the plug out of the wall [Smile] ) and it isn't banged around outrageously, it should be fine. Shutting down parks the heads on the drive(s). If it's a short move and you can take care of the computer yourself, you can even skip packing it, just lay it down flat in the car, or otherwise wedge it so it doesn't flop over mid-trip.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
As long as the machine is shut down properly (ie: give it whatever commands necessary for your OS to shut down, don't just yank the plug out of the wall [Smile]

as if!

[Eek!]

and it isn't banged around outrageously, it should be fine. Shutting down parks the heads on the drive(s). If it's a short move and you can take care of the computer yourself, you can even skip packing it, just lay it down flat in the car, or otherwise wedge it so it doesn't flop over mid-trip.

and I'm only moving 5 mins drive away, so that should be fine!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
chiltern_hundred
Shipmate
# 13659

- Posted      Profile for chiltern_hundred   Author's homepage   Email chiltern_hundred   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dunno if this has been asked before.

Is mobile broadband worth it?

The reason I ask is that I am thinking of getting a laptop and combining it and my non-moving computer (an iMac!) on the same account with mobile broadband. There are several providers, and I suspect I'd get a discount if I went with the company that does my mobile phone.

But I heard from someone at work that it's slow and unreliable. Is that the case? What experience do shippies have of it?

--------------------
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use." - Galileo Galilei

Posts: 691 | From: Duck City, UK | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by RooK:
The "latest new post" is probably a link to a particular post - that post number will be the last number of the URL in the address bar. If you hover the pointer over the little sheet of paper at the top left corner of each post, it in turn is the link to that particular post. It's just a matter of finding which one matches the original link.

Many thanks. I will have a practice at doing that.

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We're thinking about a laptop and (UK) broadband with wi-fi for my mother-in-law. She has a desktop (Windows) computer and dial-up (BT) connection at the moment. I think for all sorts of reasons that we'd want her to stick with Windows (though I'm a Mac user myself). Reliability and ease of use are major considerations with ease of sorting out any problems coming a very close second. Any advice would be welcome about equipment software, providers etc. I think she would be reluctant to change from BT so advice about best options from them would be a help.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
Reliability and ease of use are major considerations with ease of sorting out any problems coming a very close second. Any advice would be welcome about equipment software, providers etc. I think she would be reluctant to change from BT so advice about best options from them would be a help.

Reliability isn't something I would place high on a recommendation list for Windows! But I get your point - if she is used to it, why introduce any more change.

As for BT broadband, my feeling is that they are ok but overpriced. We were in a similar position not that long ago and set my mother-in-law up with one of BT's subsidiary companies, PlusNet. It was around half the price of BT (ignoring their 'headline' prices or short term offers) with 15GB per month allowance for £14.99. Their customer service was particularly good when things didn't quite work, even to the extent of having a UK based help line that would talk kindly to her when her other 'help desk' (me) was unavailable. They also provide a decent free router as part of the package.

Most ISPs will work ok with BT landlines, and once everything is set up it's pretty transparent as to who is providing the service.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sir Kevin
Ship's Gaffer
# 3492

- Posted      Profile for Sir Kevin   Author's homepage   Email Sir Kevin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is it possible for just the numbers 1,2,3 and 0 plus . and enter to go out on the ten-key on our iMAC as well as the directionals and still be OK? Is it just the keyboard or should we download everything to a Zip Drive we have to pay for and re-program? We do have an extended warranty. We may also be able to use a non-Apple keyboard.

--------------------
If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction Dietrich Bonhoeffer
Writing is currently my hobby, not yet my profession.

Posts: 30517 | From: White Hart Lane | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Reliability and Windows machines.

Actually part of the reason Windows has such a bad reputation is that most people do not realise there are actually two standards of machines available out there.

The home machines: use cheaper and less reliable technology

The business machines: use thoroughly tested technology.

Needless to say you pay more for a business machine than for a home machine of the same spec. Dell sell both, some manufacturers sell just one or the other but make sure that the machine is aimed at business not the home user.

ISP Provider
Also a recommendation for Zen Internet. This is not who I am using but it is a group who have been very good on support and I have a couple of households who are not that computer literate. They even put my parents in contact with a local PC technician who I think is self employed.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
Is it possible for just the numbers 1,2,3 and 0 plus . and enter to go out on the ten-key on our iMAC as well as the directionals and still be OK? Is it just the keyboard or should we download everything to a Zip Drive we have to pay for and re-program? We do have an extended warranty. We may also be able to use a non-Apple keyboard.

Yes, it could be just those keys. Trying a different keyboard should tell you if it's just those keys, the keyboard, or a more serious problem with the computer itself. A non-Apple keyboard should be a non-issue, at worst the system will ask you to hit particular keys on it to get the right mapping, if it doesn't identify itself as one of the standard layouts.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Kevin:
We do have an extended warranty. We may also be able to use a non-Apple keyboard.

If it's an Apple warranty why not take the keyboard to your local Apple store? If it is faulty they should swap it out for you there and then.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does a blank screen on and acrid smoke pouring out of a lap top indicate a problem?

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zappa:
Does a blank screen on and acrid smoke pouring out of a lap top indicate a problem?

Zappa, I'd unplug it if I were you. Then what I've seen experts do is kick something, hop around swearing about the person who sold/ designed/ last touched the machine and then have a drink. Let us know how you get on.

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I think it really depends on what you're looking for in a laptop.
Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
I think for all sorts of reasons that we'd want her to stick with Windows

Caveat Emptor -- I bought a Dell Christmas 2007 for my mum and the only thing I could get on it at the time was Vista. That was a major learning curve for both of us as she'd been happily ensconced in XP for a while.

She's percolating along on it fine now but it was touch and go and quite frustrating there for a bit.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by cqg:
Caveat Emptor -- I bought a Dell Christmas 2007 for my mum and the only thing I could get on it at the time was Vista. That was a major learning curve for both of us as she'd been happily ensconced in XP for a while.

She's percolating along on it fine now but it was touch and go and quite frustrating there for a bit.

You mean it makes coffee as well? I want one!

[Razz]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any ideas on how to write a script which would, upon pressing of a button, activate my broadband connection? - I know I could stay logged in all the time, but find that excessive.

My Logitech G15 v.1 keyboard's still got a few freely programmable keys available. (Besides, I see a luvverly G19 coming out now. I'll never return to any regular keyboard no more! [Yipee] )

Thanks for your suggestions, folks.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

quote:

Are you running Service Pack 3?

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone know why, when I try & capture video (recorded onto Mini DV tape) in Windows Movie Maker the audio is out of synch? It used to work absoultely fine (until last November), but not now.
[Mad]
Thanks

--------------------
Less is more ...

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Seems this happens to others too, as a quick web search with "windows movie maker audio out of sync" showed.

There's even a YouTube video with a fix, though I didn't watch it; rarely using WMM myself, I guess that's all I could suggest.

Or you might try uninstalling and reinstalling WMM and see if that helps?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

How do I set a power-on password for my PC? I want to make sure that no-one except me can use it at all. It is running Windows XP.

--------------------

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
How do I set a power-on password for my PC? I want to make sure that no-one except me can use it at all. It is running Windows XP.

Depending on the make of the PC the best way is to do that with a BIOS password. Just after the machine is turned on look for a way to get into setup (normally F2, Del or F12). Once in there you should be able to set a boot up password, but you'll almost certainly need to set a BIOS password as well.

Bear in mind that this isn't foolproof though as most motherboards have a jumper that resets the BIOS password in case it gets forgotten, but that does involve taking the machine apart to access.

Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Well I just went into control panel and set a power on password, also protected all my documents. I think that might be enough.

It's just that I think that someone who has temporary access to my house (I have had to lend him a key) may have used my PC. I don't think he had any criminal intent or that he was deliberately nosing around, but I do want to make absolutely sure, if he tries it again, that I have taken precautions.

I don't intend to mention it to him, if he does try it again I'll just let him stew.

[Devil]

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well I just went into control panel and set a power on password, also protected all my documents. I think that might be enough.

It's just that I think that someone who has temporary access to my house (I have had to lend him a key) may have used my PC. I don't think he had any criminal intent or that he was deliberately nosing around, but I do want to make absolutely sure, if he tries it again, that I have taken precautions.

I don't intend to mention it to him, if he does try it again I'll just let him stew.

[Devil]

If you look in the Event Log under Control Panel -> administrative tools you should be able to see when the machine was on and if you know when he was there then its a quick job to confirm it one way or another.
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
quote:

[Devil]

If you look in the Event Log under Control Panel -> administrative tools you should be able to see when the machine was on and if you know when he was there then its a quick job to confirm it one way or another.
Thanks, will that work in XP?

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes. The System record in the Event Viewer should give a whole list of records of tasks carried out each time the computer was switched on. Mine lists over 30 events in the half-minute or so it took to come on this morning.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

You can increase the amount of logging that goes into there, but it will definitely show when the machine was turned on and off as it stands.
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

quote:

[Razz]

There's a USB accessory for everything, these days.
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

quote:
quote:

quote:

[Razz]

There's a USB accessory for everything, these days.

Indeed. I assume you've seen those USB cup warmers.

--------------------

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I speak a few languages, but Ancient Geek isn't amongst them, so may I ask a question of you wise ones and request an answer that I can actually understand? [Biased]

My computer has Microsoft Vista - a system that I sometimes love and sometimes detest with a detestation to crown all detestations. I am also a person for whom, if things can go wrong, they will. I use my computer just occasionally for the internet [Biased] , otherwise for photos, Word, Powerpoint, Publisher and occasionally Excel, and have quite a few things on here that I'd rather not lose access to.

Last week someone was showing my 11-year-old Ubuntu and, as 11-year-olds always are, he was entranced (mainly because it was different to what we had, I think) but his incessant begging of me to install it on my computer led me to look at the website and start wondering.

If I were to install it, what might I regret? Would I still be able to access my Microsoft documents and my photos and everything? Would things be compatible with the computers at school which use Microsoft (especially important when it comes to the Smudgelet doing homework or me doing powerpoint for church, for example)? If I were to regret it, would all the Microsoft stuff still be there on my computer for me to go back to? Would I do better to make myself another cup of coffee and continue swearing at Vista?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You can always Dual Boot - that means that when you switch on your Computer it will ask you "Ubuntu or Windows?"

That way, you aren't really risking too much.

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To add to what Max said, [url=http://www.openoffice.org]Open Office[url], which is available for Linux, as well as other operating systems, is compatible with Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel, but is free. Microsoftish homework could be done on Ubuntu, too, photos and other such stuff could be accessed. Not too scary. What Max said about dual-boot was wise, you may also wish to download the Live CD version, which lets you have a play with it before installing anything on your hard drive.

--------------------

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

Setting up a dual-boot system is not for the technically naive or faint-of-heart, though. It's not as if Microsoft has any impetus to make it *easier* for you to have choices, you know?
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

cqg

You echo my feelings. I would suggest that she might get a CD try it without installing and if people like it then get a local geek to set up the machine including talking to printers and maybe connecting to the internet.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm getting sick of Norton, which seems to think my computer's raison d'etre is just to run that and nothing else. What would be good alternatives? I've heard of a couple of free programmes (e.g. Avast, AVG) - what experience do folk have of these? I don't mind paying for something so long as it enables me to use my computer as a computer, rather than just as an antivirus software host. [Roll Eyes]

On a separate matter, does anyone have experience of using Open Office? Can you open documents created in Microsoft Office using it? (I'm asking cos I'm about to buy a netbook which I plan to take with me on a course where I am likely to need to use some Excel files).

Thanks

Hazey

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AVG was written by Satan. It's pure evil and does not effectively find viruses.

Avast! is quite good.

Make sure however you have a decent firewall, anti spam and identity protection stuff on your computer as Norton Internet Security and Norton 360 are sooo much more than simply antivirus.

Max.

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:

On a separate matter, does anyone have experience of using Open Office? Can you open documents created in Microsoft Office using it? (I'm asking cos I'm about to buy a netbook which I plan to take with me on a course where I am likely to need to use some Excel files).

Thanks

Hazey

Yes, yes you can. OpenOffice deals very effectively indeed with Excel, Word and Powerpoint files. Openoffice is a very useful free alternative to the evils that are Micro$oft.

AVG, by the way, seems to have been working tolerably, though their latest version certainly has its pitfalls. Have not tried avast.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No geek here, although sons are, but I always found when I ran PCs that Avast was really good. Ran Adaware regularly and used free Zonealarm.

I was careful where I went but not too much. Never had any problems, unlike Mr L who used Norton and whose computer was constantly needing attention. Geeky sons would not touch Norton at all.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Ok I get migraine pretty frequently, one of the things that might bring it on is low frequency screen refresh rates.

Unfortunately my home laptop seems to only have 60hz. I cannot see this, but when I go away from the computer after spending time on it, I can see the room refresh. I suppose my brain tunes to that frequency in some way.

What are my options?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Interestingly, I may have a similar problem, though to a much lesser extent.

I got a new bigger LCD monitor with 60Hz for an old 75Hz TFT screen. It took me some time to get used to the lower refresh rate.

I imagine the only thing you could do is get an extra monitor with a higher Hz rate. Your lappie should be able to switch to an external monitor with that rate, but you'd have to disable your lappie screen, as that'd still run on 60Hz.

Hope you'll find a good solution there!

--------------------

Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To all IT deities here,

I have both Windows and Ubuntu installed on a dual boot system. My hope was that I would gradually switch over to Ubuntu because it was more secure and stable. However, to date I still can not get the soundcard to be recognised (Realtek) by Ubuntu and the wireless connection isn't reocgnised by Ubuntu either - although both wireless and soundcard work fine under Windows. Is there a cure for this without killing Windows completely?

Thanks.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016