homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 21)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Major Disaster
Shipmate
# 13229

- Posted      Profile for Major Disaster   Email Major Disaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone please help me? I was directed here by a host, after requesting advice on my problem on posting. Whether I prepare a post on a board here, or a PM, the button marked "preview post" does not work, and so I cannot easily check my text before posting.
I use Firefox latest version, and I wonder if one of their updates has caused this problem?

What can I do to fix thsi? I am definitely not a computer geek, so please use straightforward explanations.
Thanks.

--------------------
O Beata Solitudo! Sola Beatitudo!

Posts: 869 | From: Heart of Midlothian | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be your pop-up-blocker. Try this:
In Firefox, open the Tools menu, then choose Options. At the top of the options window is a button which says Content. Choose this, then the top button which says Exceptions... (which is next to the words "Block pop-up windows) Into the box at the top of the new window, type forum.ship-of-fools.com, then press Allow. You can close that and try posting, see if preview post is your new friend.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Major Disaster
Shipmate
# 13229

- Posted      Profile for Major Disaster   Email Major Disaster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have tried your suggestion, Alban, and restarted Firefox, and checked the site address is correct. Preview post remains as stubbornly unresponsive as a Monty Python sick parrot.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had the same bug on one of my machine for a while now, Major D. Thought it was a java script problem. It works all right occasionally, but then reverts back to refusing to show 'preview post', and similar java-activated commands on other sites; so it's not just the Ship for me.

I might try and completely remove and then reinstall Firefox when I get round to it (saving the bookmarks of course). I've got the latest version, but there definitley seems to be a problem.

Will report back in due time.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My printer has disappeared!!

I have a printer, attached to a wireless modem/router by a cable, that I have been able to successfully print from in the past - accessed from my wireless laptop.

I have had some problems because every now and then the IP address of the printer changes. Not knowing what has been causing this, I have been just getting the new IP address off the modem's DHCP clients page and changing that in the printer properties on the computer.

However, now the printer is not even listed as a DHCP client anymore.

I have tried unplugging and re plugging the cables and switching everything off and back on again - to no avail.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
carpe diem domini
...seize the day to play dominoes?

Posts: 2544 | From: The Scriptorium | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is the printer meant to be network (wireless or Ethernet) enabled? And is the address usually something like 192.168.2.x or 10.1.1.x?

The 'x' might change as other devices (notebooks, iPhones) join the network, although it shouldn't.

Have you deleted the printer and added it again? If you're using evil Windows, do you have a driver disk for the printer? Have you googled along the lines of +<my router model> +<my printer model> +"ip address" +change +"can't find" ?

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Posts: 8661 | From: Et in Australia Ego | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a new netbook which only has an 8GB hard drive (I know, it's low, but I spent my money on more RAM, intending to use memory sticks for storage).

After uninstalling the McAfee trial and installing Avast and Zonealarm (an overall decrease in size) I discovered I had only 3% (of 7GB) left - which is a problem. Compressing old files increased this to 6%. Still not enough. Looking at the folders in the OS there is only about 4 GB of stuff there.

I'm installing Acronis so that I can see where the missing 1GB has gone.

Aside from that, how do I find out what exactly is taking up all this space, and is there any reason why I shouldn't save the entire hard drive to my backup drive and then reformat and reinstall everything that I want? Am I just going to find that there's something vitally important hidden in there eating up the space, and end up no better off?

Any advice gratefully received!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

- Posted      Profile for Foaming Draught   Email Foaming Draught   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you have more RAM (a wise move), perhaps your operating system (obviously Windows if you're having to use anti-virus and firewall) has dedicated twice as much SSD as RAM for swap. So 1GB RAM has 2GB swap on the SSD, 2GB RAM has 4GB swap.

--------------------
Australians all let us ring Joyce
For she is young and free

Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I stop it from doing that? As it is I can't properly run a defrag, and I've only just got away from the low memory warnings by getting it from 3% to 6% - I'll be back there very soon.

I didn't get anything from Acronis - the partitions add up to less than 7.2GB, and there's nothing there that can be moved. [Frown]

--------------------

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anselm:
My printer has disappeared!!

I have a printer, attached to a wireless modem/router by a cable, that I have been able to successfully print from in the past - accessed from my wireless laptop.

I have had some problems because every now and then the IP address of the printer changes. Not knowing what has been causing this, I have been just getting the new IP address off the modem's DHCP clients page and changing that in the printer properties on the computer.

Do you switch your printer off when not using it? It sounds to me like your printer is disconnecting from the router then is given a new IP address when reconnecting.

If you look at the router's DHCP page as well as the IP address you will have a MAC address for the printer (6 groups of alphanumeric codes starting 00 and separated by a ':'). Write that number down, go to the LAN setup page and there should be a section something like 'Address Reservation' - that's what my Netgear router says. Add to that section an IP address for your printer - choose a higher number, like 192.168.0.30 (or whatever suits your setup) - and enter the MAC address you copied down.

Now, every time the printer asks the router for an IP address it will be allocated the same one so your laptop shouldn't get confused.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
Originally posted by Foaming Draught:
If you have more RAM (a wise move), perhaps your operating system (obviously Windows if you're having to use anti-virus and firewall) has dedicated twice as much SSD as RAM for swap. So 1GB RAM has 2GB swap on the SSD, 2GB RAM has 4GB swap.

Apparently this wasn't the problem - it had 2GB virtual memory for 2GB RAM (against a recommended 3). I have reduced that a little for the moment, but there's still at least 1GB missing.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Major Disaster:
Can someone please help me? I was directed here by a host, after requesting advice on my problem on posting. Whether I prepare a post on a board here, or a PM, the button marked "preview post" does not work, and so I cannot easily check my text before posting.
I use Firefox latest version, and I wonder if one of their updates has caused this problem?

What can I do to fix thsi? I am definitely not a computer geek, so please use straightforward explanations.
Thanks.

Are you posting from work? If so it could be your employer's firewall.
Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Hebdom
Shipmate
# 14685

- Posted      Profile for Hebdom   Email Hebdom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
To all IT deities here,

I have both Windows and Ubuntu installed on a dual boot system. My hope was that I would gradually switch over to Ubuntu because it was more secure and stable. However, to date I still can not get the soundcard to be recognised (Realtek) by Ubuntu and the wireless connection isn't reocgnised by Ubuntu either - although both wireless and soundcard work fine under Windows. Is there a cure for this without killing Windows completely?

Thanks.

Am not sure that this has been answered by anyone else - if not, here goes. Which version of Ubuntu are you running? I had problems with 8.04, have upgraded to 9.04 (actually, did a clean install) and everything worked beautifully.

Possible solutions - try Ubuntu Ultimate - has all the missing codecs installed and lots of other stuff - it solved my problem with lack of sound with 8.04.

Or, Google for Ubuntu multimedia codecs and follow the instructions on a site that looks halfway decent. That's if it's not a driver problem.

Ubuntu 9.04 has better support for drivers - I was able to install a proprietary video card driver very easily.

Sorry if this is muddled - past my bedtime!

Posts: 163 | From: Terra australis | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

- Posted      Profile for Anselm   Email Anselm   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spouse:
If you look at the router's DHCP page as well as the IP address you will have a MAC address for the printer (6 groups of alphanumeric codes starting 00 and separated by a ':'). Write that number down, go to the LAN setup page and there should be a section something like 'Address Reservation' - that's what my Netgear router says. Add to that section an IP address for your printer - choose a higher number, like 192.168.0.30 (or whatever suits your setup) - and enter the MAC address you copied down.

Now, every time the printer asks the router for an IP address it will be allocated the same one so your laptop shouldn't get confused.

Sounds good.

My only problems is that the printer isn't listed now on the DHCP page, so I have no idea what the MAC address is/was.

--------------------
carpe diem domini

Major Disaster
Shipmate
# 13229

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
quote:
Originally posted by Major Disaster:

Thanks.

Are you posting from work? If so it could be your employer's firewall.
I post from home. I use Norton/Symantex for protection and security, but was using both Firefox and Norton when preview post did work. I don't know what has changed to disable the facility in the last few months.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
quote:

Apparently this wasn't the problem - it had 2GB virtual memory for 2GB RAM (against a recommended 3). I have reduced that a little for the moment, but there's still at least 1GB missing.
Can you run disk cleanup or some other program that looks for lost or remains of files?

This is different from defragging. It is just that with removing Norton and then putting on new protection you might well have got a lot of lost or stray files. If I recall correctly Norton is a bit notorious for not do a clean uninstall.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Major Disaster
Shipmate
# 13229

This evening, after update of some add-ons in Firefox my Preview post has started working again!
I am very pleased.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

Anybody know how to work this?

If you must use a MS O/S, then the easiest, quickest and most secure way of setting up a home network is to fork out under $50 for Network Magic. Macs can be integrated into the network, as can Linux/Solaris/Unix machines but only MS and Macs can run the Network Magic client. Highly recommended by FD Computing Magazine, which hasn't actually commenced circulation yet, nor probably ever will.
Thank you. I finally broke down and bought this and now everybody can see everybody else, and everybody can print. Thank you.
[Overused]

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:

Check the System Restore allocation. In XP it lives under System Properties (the same place you find the VM settings). If you're feeling brave, turn it off altogether and see how much space it reclaims. On my XP system it wanted 12% of the available disk space, which is plain ridiculous!

Some applications are notorious for setting restore points every time something changes. Because these are flagged by Windows as system files, they don't show up in any general disk usage stats.

[ 16. May 2009, 15:44: Message edited by: Mr. Spouse ]

--------------------

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

quote:
My only problems is that the printer isn't listed now on the DHCP page, so I have no idea what the MAC address is/was.

Ah, so it could be a problem with the printer's network card, or cable, or even the router's connection socket that is causing it to disconnect. Have you tried different cables or swapping the ports the cable is connected to? Restarting the router is never a Bad Thing either when it comes to disappearing connections.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Sorry to have taken a while to reply - I've been away and internetless for a few days.

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Can you run disk cleanup or some other program that looks for lost or remains of files?

This is different from defragging. It is just that with removing Norton and then putting on new protection you might well have got a lot of lost or stray files. If I recall correctly Norton is a bit notorious for not do a clean uninstall.

Jengie

Thanks Jengie - it's always good to cleanse yiour computer after ridding yourself of Norton and McAfee! [Disappointed] I've run a couple of cleanups since, but they've been no help.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Spouse:
Check the System Restore allocation. In XP it lives under System Properties (the same place you find the VM settings). If you're feeling brave, turn it off altogether and see how much space it reclaims. On my XP system it wanted 12% of the available disk space, which is plain ridiculous!

Thanks Mr Spouse - it was set to 12%, but was also turned off, so that isn't the problem.

By reducing virtual memory to 256MB I've managed to reclaim almost 1GB of the 7.04 that is there, but I don't seem to be able to do find any of the missing 3GB.

--------------------

Joan Rasch
Shipmate
# 49

- Posted      Profile for Joan Rasch   Email Joan Rasch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just acquired an elderly Toshiba laptop (Satellite 1800) from a yard sale for next to nothing. It does not have a wi-fi card, although it has the space for one. (Wi-fi was still optional when the thing was manufactured.) Before spending money to have someone open the thing up to install a card, I would like to know if some sort of external device exists that would work with a usb port or card reader port (the laptop has two of each)

thanks in advance - Joan

--------------------
* A cyclist on the information bikepath

Posts: 509 | From: Boston, MA USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

quote:
Originally posted by Joan Rasch:
I would like to know if some sort of external device exists that would work with a usb port or card reader port (the laptop has two of each)

I think most router manufacturers sell some kind of USB dongle to accompany their products. If you just want basic WiFi then any old thing should just work.

At home, we have a Netgear RangeMax router that couples with dedicated USB receivers to give a 300Mbps transfer rate (i.e. pretty fast). They are much better than the standard equipment in either our laptop or desktop PCs. The only downside on a laptop is that they take up a USB port and suck a fair bit of power from the battery.

--------------------

Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Spouse:
quote:

Ah, so it could be a problem with the printer's network card, or cable, or even the router's connection socket that is causing it to disconnect. Have you tried different cables or swapping the ports the cable is connected to? Restarting the router is never a Bad Thing either when it comes to disappearing connections.
I have tried plugging into different ports on the router/modem and switching the modem off and back on.

I will try to find another cable to link the two.

I am beginning to suspect the router may be at fault - it stopped lighting up the socket that had the cable plugged into it, and has no lit up a socket that has no cable plugged into it.

--------------------
carpe diem domini

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am beginning to suspect the router may be at fault - it stopped lighting up the socket that had the cable plugged into it, and has no lit up a socket that has no cable plugged into it.

That sort of thing is Very Important to tell tech support.

You almost certainly need a new router.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone recommend a good free antivirus software as a replacement for AVG? I've been very happy with AVG for the last couple of years, but the last few days I haven't been able to update it, when I try and manually update it I get a message saying "access to the server is forbidden". I went to the website, found it is a known problem, downloaded the tool that was supposed to fix it but after several attempts it still won't update. So I am thinking of uninstalling it and trying something else. Any suggestions please?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Foaming Draught
The Low in Low Church
# 9134

Sparrow, if you must run an operating system which requires an anti-virus, then try Avira.

FD

Max.
Shipmate
# 5846

- Posted      Profile for Max.     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Avast! is also quite good for those primitive operating systems too!

Max

--------------------
For the sake of His sorrowful Passion, have mercy on us and on the whole world.

Posts: 9716 | From: North Yorkshire | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Aethelstan
Shipmate
# 3502

- Posted      Profile for Aethelstan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Can anyone recommend a good free antivirus software as a replacement for AVG? I've been very happy with AVG for the last couple of years, but the last few days I haven't been able to update it, when I try and manually update it I get a message saying "access to the server is forbidden".

Alarm bells ringing here. When my free AVG stopped updating a couple of months ago it was the first symptom of the worm described on this thread, though in my case the error message was "connection to update server has been lost". As I recall, scans by AVG free, Avast, Malwarebytes and Spybot all found nothing, but when I followed the procedure outlined in the linked thread by zen_ lo and behold there was a nasty lurking in my Windows folder.
Anselm
Shipmate
# 4499

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:

That sort of thing is Very Important to tell tech support.

You almost certainly need a new router.

It only gradually started doing this after it had stopped registering the printer.
Thanks for all the advice.

The modem part, and wireless router part are still working so I may just plug the printer directly into one of the computers for a while.

If I decide to replace the beast, any advice as to whether a modem/router combined is better, or a modem and separate router?

--------------------
carpe diem domini

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If I decide to replace the beast, any advice as to whether a modem/router combined is better, or a modem and separate router?

I'd argue that separate is better, but with the cost of these things today, it may be just as cost effective to buy the combo. Depends on how averse you are to throwing kit away.

My ISP provides the modem, so the choice was made for me, but at least when the router packs in, I can still access the net via one of the computers.

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm on the board of a charity which wants to produce a set of Christmas cards. We've got some original designs that we've commissioned and agreed fees etc, but we'd like at least one traditional design, so my question is this:

Are ancient artworks (medieval paintings, icons, etc) which one can find on the internet, copyright? I mean, obviously(?) the works themselves are out of copyright but does someone always own the electronic image?

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some electronic images are free for use. Try Creative Commons, they're designed for just that kind of search. Morgue File may also have some useful stuff.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
QLib

Bad Example
# 43

- Posted      Profile for QLib   Email QLib   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the idea, but unless there's something wrong with my searches,they don't seem to have very much - one of them uses Google, but not the image search, which seems a bit bizarre.

--------------------
Tradition is the handing down of the flame, not the worship of the ashes Gustav Mahler.

Posts: 8913 | From: Page 28 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Um. This is a humble question from a middle aged woman about ten or fifteen years behind the curve, but how do you download ringtones? [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hebdom
Shipmate
# 14685

- Posted      Profile for Hebdom   Email Hebdom   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
how do you download ringtones? [Hot and Hormonal]

Hope this helps.

You could try by going to the homepage for your mobile phone company. The easiest way is for them to just send it to your mobile. The choice is often fairly awful, though.

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, much!

I doubt Verizon has a good selection. Besides, I understand they would charge extra for it to my pre-paid account. [Razz]

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hebdom:
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
how do you download ringtones? [Hot and Hormonal]

Hope this helps.

You could try by going to the homepage for your mobile phone company. The easiest way is for them to just send it to your mobile. The choice is often fairly awful, though.

I simply got a (not inexpensive) USB connector cable for my phone and have then transferred sounds of my choice from my computer to the mobile. You can basically use all sorts of mp3 sounds for that, and even record and create your own on the puter. Which I rather like. It's fun and it's free.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

I'll have to see about that connector. It would be so cool to put Gregorian chant on my phone. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Any advice on using proxy servers? Are they safe? Are the paid-for ones better?

(I've found the 'FoxyProxy' Firefox add-on very useful; it enables you to use proxies for certain websites only.)

Thanks, guys! [Smile]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Any advice on using proxy servers? Are they safe? Are the paid-for ones better?

(I've found the 'FoxyProxy' Firefox add-on very useful; it enables you to use proxies for certain websites only.)

Thanks, guys! [Smile]

Thank you. That's a fix I have been wanting for months! I need to use a proxy for my PhD work but I did not want it for generally browsing the web. That works.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Great that helped, Jengie Jon!

I've experimented a bit with some proxies now, and am currently trying one offered on the FoxyProxy website. Might cost a few £, but the first 3 days are free and it's very fast and seems reliable.

Other comments still appreciated. [Smile]

[ 17. June 2009, 10:45: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

For Mac geeks, here's news on yet another spectacular product just launched: "Apple announced that Chief Executive Steve Jobs had installed the world’s first iLiver" (spoof news website).

Hope you're in for some light entertainment. [Biased]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I simply got a (not inexpensive) USB connector cable for my phone and have then transferred sounds of my choice from my computer to the mobile. You can basically use all sorts of mp3 sounds for that, and even record and create your own on the puter. Which I rather like. It's fun and it's free.

I'd like to be able to create my own tunes on the computer - is there a simple programme that would enable me to do that?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

This software seems to have reviews that suggests it does what you want.

Why not download it and see if it does?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

TiggyTiger
Shipmate
# 14819

- Posted      Profile for TiggyTiger   Email TiggyTiger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
HELP! I can't get the integral speakers on my monitor to work. I don't know if I've pressed something, but I've checked out all the volume controls I know of and they all seem to be up. It means I can't listen to music or other audio files and it's very frustrating. It's a fairly new monitor and I left the instruction booklet at my parent's house when I moved a few months ago.

Any ideas?

--------------------
'Each and everybody is hiding, each is concealing the place where his heart beats.'
Daniel Barenboim

Posts: 347 | From: Bath | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hebdom
Shipmate
# 14685

quote:
Originally posted by TiggyTiger:
HELP! I can't get the integral speakers on my monitor to work.
Any ideas?

Check the manufacturer's site online - they often have downloadable handbooks.

The usual reason is that one of the volume controls is set to mute - but it sounds as if you've checked them all.

Doc Tor
Deepest Red
# 9748

- Posted      Profile for Doc Tor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TiggyTiger:
HELP! I can't get the integral speakers on my monitor to work.

1. The obvious one is that you haven't connected the computer's sound card to the monitor. Mine runs a standard 3.5mm stereo jack and is coloured pale green. The video cable does not carry the sound.

2. You haven't turned up your monitor sound: mine (a TFT) has buttons on the side. Two of them are arrows, up and down. Without pressing any other buttons, the up arrow turns the volume up (a green bar appears on the screen to indicate the level).

3. You've accidently muted your sound. Go to the control panel, then onto sound devices. Check from there. Alternatively, my keyboard has speaker controls and a mute/unmute short-cut.

One of these might work...

--------------------
Forward the New Republic

Posts: 9131 | From: Ultima Thule | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Anyone else downloaded the new Firefox v 3.5 yet?

Seems to work quite fast and reliable, so far. And at the moment, java works again (e.g. for preview pop-ups on the boards). Let's hope it'll last.

Any comments? [Smile]

--------------------

TiggyTiger
Shipmate
# 14819

- Posted      Profile for TiggyTiger   Email TiggyTiger   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Doc Tor. I did find an extra cable when I unpacked, but I'm not sure where to stick it - lol. I mean on the main computer thing. There's a socket for speakers on the monitor, but I had assumed that was for external ones.

--------------------
'Each and everybody is hiding, each is concealing the place where his heart beats.'
Daniel Barenboim

Posts: 347 | From: Bath | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  21  22  23  24  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016