homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze

You have actually shut your pc down and restarted it? I ask this as Java this morning totally messed up my internet connection at work because of a fail to update.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been switched off and on a couple of times.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you checked with your ISP? They may be having problems.

And regarding shutting down, make sure you are turning the computer off, not clicking restart. Simply restarting may leave a problem resident in memory.

[ 20. November 2009, 15:35: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Aha.

On the Undo principle, I changed back the one thing which has altered recently - replacing the mouse with a trackball.

Why it should make a difference I have no idea, since they both use the same USP port, but so far, touch wood, it seems to be running normally again with the restored mouse.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone suggest why I can no longer use & .... ; code for all those niceties like TM or the degree symbol. I've used them for years on my old PC and now on my Mac which I've had for several years.

I tried in a Ship post and also on a web page. Same result of just a copy of what I'd typed, no magic transformation.

Mac runs latest Safari and all updates to it are installed. Hmmm, there was an update last week. I wonder if that's the problem.

Please don't tell me to try any number of a combination of keys plus 0176 or whatever it is. That has never worked.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Off the wall question--you haven't installed anything for a new foreign language keyboard, have you? When my Viet keyboard is turned on and I don't realize it, it screws that kind of thing all to nevermind.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Off the wall question--you haven't installed anything for a new foreign language keyboard, have you? When my Viet keyboard is turned on and I don't realize it, it screws that kind of thing all to nevermind.

No, I've done nothing except instal the latest Safari update last week. Computer has been turned off/on in that time. Must ask guru son but he's stressed over other matters and HTML and other similar things are not really his thing.

I've used that coding for years on both PC and Mac.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The issue with the RealPlayer download button not appearing when using Mozilla-Firefox as a browser, has been fixed. To update, don't use the regular drop-down RealPlayer "search for updates" feature in Firefox. Go to www.real.com and download and install the latest build for RealPlayer SP. Then, if you have RealPlayer SP Plus or Rhapsody, when the installation process completes and contacts RealPlayer, sign in (make sure you have your password and email address handy) and it will put back RealPlayer SP Plus.

[ 25. November 2009, 10:36: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lothlorien

Going off Lamb Chopped and your post can you see if this fixes it. It would seem that the new version of Safari may have come with a preset codes preference, and you need to set it back to the one stated.

Jengie

[ 25. November 2009, 12:25: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SOF Tabs going blank: Firefox 3.5.5
My normal practice is to open SOF active topics and the open new tabs from threads that interest me.

With only one of my computers reading another tab gets the previous tab blanked out. A reload will refresh it, but the tab should remain as I left it.

If I open a reply and then open from it a tab of the original post the the reply tab contents are blanked out. If I reload the tab the reply box reappears with all the text typed or quoted in so far.

Any ideas how to treat this> I can eventually uninstall and reinstall firefox, but hopefully I won't have to..

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'
Mika; in Hello? Is Anybody There?, Jostein Gaardner

Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

- Posted      Profile for Latchkey Kid   Author's homepage   Email Latchkey Kid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
PS. This does not happen when I treat other web forums/sites the same way. It only happens with SOF.
Posts: 2592 | From: The wizardest little town in Oz | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm afraid I can't reproduce your problem, on neither of my machines.

Have you tried Firefox in safe mode, and take it from there? Could it be some add-ons interfering?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Safe mode did seem to offer a solution for a while, but it now occurs in safe mode.
I think I will have to take drastic action.

I remember that uninstalling firefox requires more than just using the XP uninstall program function. Some files a re still left which influence a re-installation. I shall have to dig around for the more complete uninstallation process.

--------------------
'You must never give way for an answer. An answer is always the stretch of road that's behind you. Only a question can point the way forward.'

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's the "uninstalling" article from "Mozillazine":

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Uninstalling_Firefox

Mary

--------------------

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

Thanks, Mary.

--------------------

Latchkey Kid
Shipmate
# 12444

I went through three uninstalls progressively removing more data and only after cleaning everything out as per the link above did the problem disappear.

I was pleased that I had my bookmarks stored on Xmarks.

--------------------

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

You're most welcome, Latch! I am so proud of you for finding your way through that uninstall--when I had to do it a few months ago, I had to call up somebody and have them "hold my hand" over the phone....

Also a big thankyou for finding the dancing cockatoo link! Very fine birdy there!

Best wishes and hopes for no further computer glitches dimming your cyber-enjoyment,

Mary

--------------------

The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a computer that has a soundcard that support 5.1 surround sound, but I can't work how how I can connect it to my surround sound speakers.

The computer has three "normal" stereo slots - one for front left and right, one for back left and right, and one for centre and bass.

My surround sound base unit, however, has an optical input, a coaxial input (for a single RC cable), and an auxiliary input (for a red and white pair of RC cables).

Is there some kind of adapter I can get to successfully connect my computer to the surround sound system? I've tried Googling, but I don't really know what I'm looking for. Any help much appreciated!

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I doubt it. Your soundcard is meant to be the surround sound system, not connect to one. That's why you have direct line outs for each of the 6 units in a 5.1 setup.

Even if a converter exists, it's probably ungodly expensive.

But all is not lost. TurtleBeach makes good sound cards and this is one is a 5.1 with Optical S/PDIF in/out ports. And list price is just $59.95. Get rid of the old one on eBay (or if it's built in, just disable it) and put one of these in its place.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Question about a modem here:

I've had for many years a lovely (as rather useful) external US Robotics 56K message modem, for emergency dial-up access in case broadband is down (very rarely); mainly however it works as my answerphone and fax machine. It records independantly from my computer and I can then retrieve fax and voice messages digitally onto the puter, and manage and save them from there, which is handy.

For a few days however, I haven't been able to access it - which is silly, as there are two recorded voice messages now.

If I go to device manager, it is neither listed under 'Modems', nor under 'Communication Ports' and COM1, where it should be. Interestingly upon puter start-up, the correct modem lights briefly flicker, thus showing it is in fact plugged in and somehow being addressed by the machine.

Repeatedly turning on and off of both puter and modem haven't helped so far, nor has reinstalling the nifty 'Phone Tools' or 'Classic Phone Tools' software. Flushing the modem memory and reinitiating it I haven't yet tried, as this would mean losing the two recorded messages - though in the end, may have to do this.

I wonder if this inaccessiblity is due to some recent M****s*** update, because the modem doesn't seem to be recognised either when plugged into the lappie, where it was installed as well.

Any suggestions, while I'm googling, not very successfully, for more ideas? Many thanks, fellow geeks. [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

monkeylizard

Ship's scurvy
# 952

- Posted      Profile for monkeylizard   Email monkeylizard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
<<gets into time machine...travels to 1995 when people used 56K modems>> [Smile]

Seriously, you may be on to something with your MS updates theory. It should be easy to test. Go to your Add/Remove Programs and check the box in the top labeled "Show updates".

Then find any recent MS updates and remove them. Reboot, and check your modem. You may also need to reinstall your modem software/drivers or the phone tools as you described above. If it works, then you'll need to decide which is more important, the updates from MS or your modem.

If not, then just run Windows Updater and get the updates again.

--------------------
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools. ~ Herbert Spencer (1820 - 1903)

Posts: 2201 | From: Music City, USA | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Modem: even though it's not showing in Device Mangler, can you get any response out of it via a Terminal session (as in, with the built in HyperTerminal thing)?

It's been a long time since I've had to do modem diagnostics [Smile]

It might also be worth doing a "Scan for hardware changes" in Device Manager, and checking your System event log for any pertinent errors.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I ask for help? My laptop has stopped talking to my data projector. All I get on the big screen is the desktop wallpaper with no icons - the computer screen itself is fine.

I've tried fiddling around with display settings, including "extend desktop onto this screen", without success.

I think this may have something to do with MS Service Pack upgrade - it happened once before and "System Restore" sorted it out. But I want to install the latest updates!

I have another problem, too. On a different computer, I installed a new hard drive. In doing so I lost the facility tomplay DVDs. Are there any free DVD driver downloads out there on the Internet?

Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I *think* this is to do with settings on the laptop to set the data projector - are you cloning the laptop or extending it? Because one of those produces what you've got and the other makes the screen work.

The same thing happened at w*rk recently, and the answer was along these lines, but I didn't sort the problem, so I'm being vague about it.

[ 18. December 2009, 07:19: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

- Posted      Profile for Baptist Trainfan   Email Baptist Trainfan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure you're right - and it's the settings on the computer, I'm sure. But what do I do? I need someone to take me by the hand and gently guide me through ... (that sounds like some 1940s Gospel song, doesn't it!)
Posts: 9750 | From: The other side of the Severn | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well the settings you need will depend on how your graphics settings describe it, and may be worded slightly different depending on your laptop, but you want to tell it to "clone" and make sure that it is set to show "same on all" or something along those lines.

As for DVD drivers, you should be able to get them from the DVD drive manufacturers website, or failing that try Driver Zone (you will need to look on the box for your manufacturer and the model name). If you don't have the box, look in system properties. On XP its start>accessories>system tools>system information but will be different on Vista I guess.

If you don't know how to do that, or want more information, download PC Wizard (freeware) and look up your DVD device

[ 18. December 2009, 09:33: Message edited by: Alicïa ]

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually, thinking about your DVD some more, it might be that you have not set the jumpers right on the hardware, because usually the drivers are installed automatically. So check that first. Is the DVD showing up on the boot sequence?

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The projector one can vary between laptops. Most laptops have their own hot-key to toggle the display settings, and this can sometimes override the (assuming) Windows ones. On old Thinkpad's it's Fn+F7, IIRC on some Toshiba's it's Fn+F5, but you'll need to check out the legends on the keys to suss it.

Also, some projectors aren't always too hot at auto-detecting the input when there are multiple inputs, so it's always worth checking the projector is looking for a signal on the input you're using.

DVD: what did you use to play DVDs before? WMP or a third-party app? Unless the DVD was a "no software" OEM drive when you got it, it should have come with a CD that contains a basic player and all the driver/codec stuff you need that WMP and co will pick up on. Otherwise, it's a happy hunt around t'InterWeb looking for codecs, or old copies of PowerDVD, InterDVD, or trying something like WinAmp which may have the common ones bundled.

If you're really, really stuck and trust a noob, PM me a postal address and I can send you an ancient OEM copy of PowerDVD (but I never said that in public, OK? [Biased] )

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Pasta la Vista
Apprentice
# 15288

- Posted      Profile for Pasta la Vista     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Re: losing the inability to play DVDs, does the DVD drive show up in Windows Explorer? In Device Manager? Can you read a data DVD?

If it does show up as a device, and it's just that DVD's won't play - and I'm presuming the same DVDs played before you installed the new hard drive - what does happen when you try to play one? Do you get an error or does nothing happen at all? Do audio CDs play?

If it doesn't show up as a device, have you checked the power and data cables are securely connected to the drive? Perhaps you dislodged one or both when installing the new hard drive?

Is the DVD drive an SATA or IDE model? If IDE, then it may be a jumper settings issue as mentioned by Alicia. If SATA, jumpers usually have no bearing and often don't even exist.

Once you are sure the drive is hooked up correctly and the latest drivers from the manufacturer are installed, maybe it is a codec issue - though I'd expect an error of some kind it that's the case. Try VLC for Windows (http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html), it will play almost anything without additional codecs.

--------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 9 | From: Deep midwicket | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, Pasta, and nicely answered! Enjoy your shipboard travels, the madness, the sanity, the wisdom and the idiocy ... There's a great welcome thread over in All Saints if you'd like a champagne moment or two while you get into the pitch and roll of things, though deep mid wicket as a location may indicate you'd like to stagger on down to the circus cricket thread, too. Have fun.

Zappa
Heavenly host

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Modem: even though it's not showing in Device Mangler, can you get any response out of it via a Terminal session (as in, with the built in HyperTerminal thing)? [...]

Yup. I can actually connect to any phone number now. Strangely enough, the modem seems to have appeared again in the Device Manger (to be Christmassy here), and it definitely can be addressed via hyperterminal, i.e. I can make it dial a number and the connection goes through.

What next?

(I'm going to uninstall and then reinstall the Phone Tools software, and shall report back. [Smile] )

Many thanks!

--------------------

Baptist Trainfan
Shipmate
# 15128

To all those who have sent suggestions - thank you! I will try some of the DVD stuff; I had already tried the projector stuff without success, I'm afraid.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Re modem - all's well again. Many thanks for your suggestions. [Yipee]

I've somehow lost track of the, as it seems, dozen or so of updates I got for XP in the last few days - there may even've been one that caused and one then that fixed the modem problem, who knows... [Paranoid]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

quote:
Originally posted by Baptist Trainfan:
Can I ask for help? My laptop has stopped talking to my data projector. All I get on the big screen is the desktop wallpaper with no icons - the computer screen itself is fine.

I've tried fiddling around with display settings, including "extend desktop onto this screen", without success.

Realised what is going on. Your PC thinks your projector is a second monitor.

So switch both off with no power coming through them. Then disconnect.

Then you need to uninstall it. Restart your PC then follow the advice here.

Once you have done shut down your pc and unplug.

Now go and get either your computers manual or your projectors. Look up in it how to switch between display modes. Different computer manufacturers use different methods, these are normally listed in the manuals. There is a list of various ones here.

Now and only now connect your pc to the projector and turn on the PC (the projector should still be off at the mains). This should boot with your monitor being the only screen recognised by your PC.

Now switch on the projector. It may work straight off. If it doesn't then you should get the blue screen on the projector (or maybe your pc screen will go blank). If either of these happen then use the appropriate set of keys to change your projector settings on the PC.

Alternately you might want to keep settings as is and learn to put the slide show on the second screen. You could then put your slide show on the projector and have either your own notes on the monitor or actually the editing function of your slide show.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm working in Word 2003. Do you know if it is possible to make one line of text on a page appear upside down in relation to the rest of the text on the page?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I'm working in Word 2003. Do you know if it is possible to make one line of text on a page appear upside down in relation to the rest of the text on the page?

I don't have Word 2003 up and running at home, so don't know if this will work: try putting the line into a text box and then rotating the text box by a half turn (rotate clockwise twice, or flip horizontal then flip vertical).

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can create a text box with the text in, right click on it then on the option "format text box" which has a "size" tab with an option to rotate, but that option is greyed out.

I'll try when I get home, I have a more up to date version of word on my home PC.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dal Segno

al Fine
# 14673

- Posted      Profile for Dal Segno     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Select the text box and then use the flip/rotate options on the Drawing menu (which is on the Drawing task bar).

--------------------
Yet ever and anon a trumpet sounds

Posts: 1200 | From: Pacific's triple star | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by Dal Segno:
Select the text box and then use the flip/rotate options on the Drawing menu (which is on the Drawing task bar).

I can do all that, except that all the flip/rotate options on the drawing menu are greyed out.

[Confused]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knew I'd done it.

You can flip a line of text using WordArt. You have to type the line and format the text in WordArt, but that line then flips.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

Thanks, I got that to work ok, but honestly I think it took longer than the way I had found to do it before!

[Eek!]

--------------------

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I have killed my IE7. I did the upgrade (foolishly) to IE8, hated it, and went back to IE7. And it's not w*rking.

My command bar is completely gone. (Home, tools, favorites, etc.) and I can't do easy things like deleting extraneous stuff from e-mails I need to forward. (No, I'm not one that sends the rose to eighty of my closest e-friends so that my toes don't cramp or anything like that...however maybe that's what happened to IE...who knew.)

Also, there's a tab in the task bar on the bottom with a lovely [Roll Eyes] IE symbol, but no site name.

So, after chatting with tech support for 2 hours, I was told that I have to save my stuff and do a system recovery.

Please, one of you really, really smart people, tell me it isn't so. I hate doing that. (My instant UBB code buttons don't w*rk now, either.) [Waterworks]

Let my mistake be a lesson to all of you...don't download IE8!!!

[Help]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
OK, I have killed my IE7. I did the upgrade (foolishly) to IE8, hated it, and went back to IE7. And it's not w*rking.

My command bar is completely gone. (Home, tools, favorites, etc.) and I can't do easy things like deleting extraneous stuff from e-mails I need to forward. (No, I'm not one that sends the rose to eighty of my closest e-friends so that my toes don't cramp or anything like that...however maybe that's what happened to IE...who knew.)

Also, there's a tab in the task bar on the bottom with a lovely [Roll Eyes] IE symbol, but no site name.

So, after chatting with tech support for 2 hours, I was told that I have to save my stuff and do a system recovery.

Please, one of you really, really smart people, tell me it isn't so. I hate doing that. (My instant UBB code buttons don't w*rk now, either.) [Waterworks]

Let my mistake be a lesson to all of you...don't download IE8!!!

[Help]

It'll sound like a cliche, but have you tried Firefox? It's quite good at importing stuff from IE, and generally functions well.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Problem: Cripplingly slow pages loading. Not every page all the time, but most pages, most of the time.

What I have checked:

Broadband connection - speed and functionality OK.
Viruses, trojan etc - CA Security Suite says nothing present.
Cleared cookies.
Cleared history.
Tried Chrome rather than Firefox - same problem.
Upgraded to Firefox 3.5 - ditto.
Tried running Firefox in safe mode - ditto
Removed any recent downloads (problem started about 4 days ago).
Checked in Programme Manager for any background processes hogging resources.

I am at a loss. If it's not the connection, the browser or the system, what else is there to look at?

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

One bit of advice maybe to scan it with one or two of the specialist one off scanners such as Malware Bytes or Spybot. At work the technicians regularly run these as secondary checks on top of the normal spyware and malware checks.

Secondly do you have ability to connect both through wired and wireless? Sometime I have seen that if the wireless "thinks" it is getting a connection (e.g. a neighbour has got a wireless router for Christmas and your wireless is trying to connect to it), then it can slow connection to a wired connection.

Jengie

[ 27. December 2009, 11:50: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Problem: Cripplingly slow pages loading. Not every page all the time, but most pages, most of the time. [...]

Regarding system, and besides what has been said before:
  • Have got sufficient free space? 15 to 20% at least?
  • Have you tried to defragement? (>15% free space needed)
  • And of course always helpful: Have you backed up your machine or parts of it, such as 'My Documents' yet? (Always a good idea.)

Let us know how you're getting on.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by jedijudy:
OK, I have killed my IE7. I did the upgrade (foolishly) to IE8, hated it, and went back to IE7. And it's not w*rking. [...] [Help]

I'm afraid I have to agree with Alban - try Firefox. IE layout and functionality, at least since IE7 (I find), are rubbish.

Interestingly, I do have IE8, but only rarely use it. With Firefox there's the possibility to get the nifty add-on IE Tab, which allows to switch to IE in a tab within Firefox, which works with IE8 as well.

Have saved your bookmarks somewhere you remember?

--------------------

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
Problem: Cripplingly slow pages loading. Not every page all the time, but most pages, most of the time.

Have you had a look at your firewall/antivirus configuration - I had a similar problem recently and it was like being back on dial-up again. I found I had a URL link checker running which would automatically scan not only the URL of the page I was trying to access but any links on that page to make sure they were safe, before I could access it. Some pages loaded more quickly than others, but it was mostly a struggle to access anything. Turning the option off restored normal service.

If the firewall thing doesn't work, System Restore to a known good point before all this started may do so. Sometimes there isn't any obvious explanation.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

On the When All Else Fails Try Random Stuff principle, we tried stopping a wallpaper/screen saver which I've been running for years and years. Touch wood, things have recovered markedly. It does have an online component, so it's possible some automatic update screwed with something else (as we say in technie speak).

Time will tell if that is the genuine cause, or just coincidental.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Alban and Wesley J, thanks. I have had Firefox for quite some time now, and use it to run video clips when IE didn't let me. (I just really liked my IE7, and found it easy and convenient.)

I'm using Firefox right now. I was able to import my IE favorites, and dragged the folder to the toolbar, so it's a lot easier to get at than clicking the bookmarks, then IE folder, then looking for my stuff. (Like SoF, of course!)

D-U loves it. sigh I'll get used to it, I'm sure! At least I don't have to do another System Recovery. *shudder*

Many thanks! [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016