homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 29)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Updates and updates.

Firstly you need to download version 1.1 first then service pack 1 combine them as stated on that thread and THEN install version 1.1 from the custom installation you have created. Just loading service pack 1 on top of 1.00375 will not work. No surprise there, you are basically patching the wrong package.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tried that trick, Jengie, and it's not worked. This is a problem that's coming up on the Vista software developer boards and we've tried all the suggestions given there, barring manual uninstalls and playing around in the registry - which we know are risky on a machine that we have been give authority to sort out, but it's not my job to do normally.

Mr Spouse, thank you, we solved the password problem on Thursday, by using Trinity Rescue Kit and changing the BIOS.

Snags - yes, that sounds like a plan - I'll check with the PTB how we do it - this really isn't my job, but any other attempt to get it sorted through the right channels hasn't worked so we've gone behind backs to do it.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been given a very old laptopp that has some microsoft applications on it I would like to use on my desktop PC. Is there any way of copying the software over on to the desktop PC? I don't have the original software disks.

The applications are Powerpoint, Access and Publisher.

[ 15. April 2010, 14:11: Message edited by: Sparrow ]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I've been given a very old laptopp that has some microsoft applications on it I would like to use on my desktop PC. Is there any way of copying the software over on to the desktop PC? I don't have the original software disks.

No. Unless you have the installation media, you can't do it. And even if you did, when you tried to activate them you'd get a message saying sorry, they've already been activated on another machine. (Although there is a badly-kept secret about such activations expiring, but we won't go into that here.)

Don't overlook the Microsoft Office clone known as Open Office. It's free for non-commercial use. Browse here for more information.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
no prophet's flag is set so...

Proceed to see sea
# 15560

- Posted      Profile for no prophet's flag is set so...   Author's homepage   Email no prophet's flag is set so...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The program publisher Microsoft would consider this a Bad Thing, and against their licensing of the program. It would be suspected that it would be very difficult to do the copying of the programs over, unless the hard drive was fully cloned. Microsoft programs so far as I know, put all sorts of little files in all sorts of interesting little places on a hard drive when they're installed, and it is very difficult to determine where each of these is. There's probably other 'anti-pirate' thingies within also, that would make this difficult.

If you are in a bit of a jam because you need these programs, but can't afford to buy them. there are free progs that are roughly equivalent, OpenOffice.org for starters.

--------------------
Out of this nettle, danger, we pluck this flower, safety.
\_(ツ)_/

Posts: 11498 | From: Treaty 6 territory in the nonexistant Province of Buffalo, Canada ↄ⃝' | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by no_prophet:
Microsoft programs so far as I know, put all sorts of little files in all sorts of interesting little places on a hard drive when they're installed....

Yes, I realised that when I had a look in the Program files folder!

I know about Open Office, it's just that as I have these applications on the laptop it would be useful to have the genuine versions all together on the one PC. Oh well.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You might get them on Ebay - I had a quick look, and it seemed quite promising (and mostly very cheap!)

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Pasta la Vista
Apprentice
# 15288

- Posted      Profile for Pasta la Vista     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

Allegedly, you can make a disk image of one machine (such as your old laptop) and run it in a virtual machine on another physical machine, courtesy of something like VirtualBox. But it would be a breach of the stringent EULA and would upset those nice people at Microsoft. So clearly no right thinking person would do that. I know I wouldn't. Oh no.

OpenOffice.org will allow your conscience to remain clear.

--------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 9 | From: Deep midwicket | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all, I'm typing this on my new Nokia N900. as the time came to upgrade my phone. Obviously it's not mdeant for long missives. but will be pretty nifty when out and about.

Anyone else running a maemo phone?

Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, but here's another question. A colleague recently saw a blank Googe chat icon on his Gmail page; mousing over it produced the box with the word "invited" and a musical note (screenshot here). Does anyone know what's going on here? [Paranoid]

[ 29. April 2010, 09:48: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might this help? - Perhaps someone with a gmail account could provide further insights, if needed?

[ 29. April 2010, 11:36: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the link, which in turn linked to this. Does that mean that if someone can find your gmail address, they can spontaneously offer to chat with you [Eek!] ?

The musical note part appears to be an undocumented Gmail chat icon, which you can make by pressing alt + 2 six times.

Is someone trying to phish my colleague?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O Geeks .. some advice please.

For some time I have been using Panda Antivirus Pro and Spamihilator (the latter following advice in this thread!)

Panda has become unstable - shutting itself down from time to time and also sometimes reporting that my licence is expired by 8380 days! As the licence is due to expire in the next few weeks anyway, I have decided to use Norton Internet Security 2010.

Reading through the NIS manual, it seems that NIS might be wanting to interface with Outlook Express in the same way that Spamihilator does.

Does this mean that I should uninstall Spamihilator before installing NIS 2010? Google, normally so helpful, doesn't seems to have any useful links.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had NIS for a few years, and have uninstalled and reinstalled it on the (very!) few occasions where it wasn't working properly. No problems caused to either NIS (now 2010) or Spamihilator, the latter of which was on there all the time.

[ 30. April 2010, 17:38: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus

You asked about Gmail chat? If someone has gmail and they know your friends email address then they can invite him to chat in "Google Talk".

If they are in their gmail account at the same time your friend is, and they have your friends email address in their address book it will show your friend as "online".

It can be turned off, see here for how.

[ 30. April 2010, 17:44: Message edited by: Alicïa ]

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O geeks, live for ever!

Thanks Wesley J. I hoped you might know the answer!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Alicïa:
Eutychus

You asked about Gmail chat? If someone has gmail and they know your friends email address then they can invite him to chat in "Google Talk".

If they are in their gmail account at the same time your friend is, and they have your friends email address in their address book it will show your friend as "online".

Thanks for your contribution! Unless I've misunderstood you, though, it's a bit more complicated than that. My colleague's gmail chat shows an unidentified person online (the green button with no name next to it on the far left of the screenshot). Mousing over the button usually gives you a box with the person's screen name and their email address. But as you can see in the screenshot, in this instance there is no name in the box and no e-mail address, just the word "invited" and the musical note.

I've poked around on the (largely hopeless) gmail chat forums and found someone reporting the same problem recently. Meanwhile my colleague has got rid of a trojan and not seen the problem back for now. A coincidence or not?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Given some thought to this and what I suspect is his contact list is somewhat corrupted. If he goes into it he will find that one of his "friends" has a name that is the pair of musical notes. The email name will be correct. If he changes that friends name to a title that is correct his chat will automatically correct itself.

I don't know how the corruption will have happened. I am half suspicious it is because it reads names off the email that is sent and the friend.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A little while ago I switched to BT as my ISP and received their new HomeHub (v.2). I now run this as my wireless network router. On different machines in our household, however, the old wireless network still shows up and can be joined. I have tried several times to delete it, but it just seems to reappear. Recently, on the newest laptop it brought up pages from the old router's web based management system. IIRC we stopped using that router before we acquired the new laptop! Does anyone have any idea what is happening? The computers involved are all Mac laptops.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BroJames:
the old wireless network still shows up and can be joined. I have tried several times to delete it, but it just seems to reappear. Recently, on the newest laptop it brought up pages from the old router's web based management system.

Just some random thoughts:

Did you rename the old router or leave it on the Manufacturer's settings? If the latter, you may be picking up a 'Netgear' or 'Linksys' (etc.) network from somewhere nearby?

On the Mac, open System Preferences/Network and check the AirPort settings. Turn off 'Ask to join new networks' If you have anything listed you no longer need use the '-' symbol to delete them.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, I've solved this problem now. Somebody had accidentally plugged in the old router meaning to power up a different bit of equipment. It was therefore creating a wireless network - but one which had no connection to the internet. The presence of the powered up router was concealed by the general chaos of the study [Hot and Hormonal]
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does an iPod Touch count as a computer?

We're getting Littlest One an iPod Touch to use at school. (8gb, 3rd gen.)

He needs to be able to set reminders to do things like turn in his work, or ask the teacher about an assignment, or that sort of thing. He has dysgraphia, and the homework planners that most kids use are absolutely useless for him.

He will not have a wireless connection available at school. We do not want to jailbreak the iPod.

I understand that there's a built-in calendar application. Will that do what we need, simply and easily?

Is there a different app that would work better?

The ideal app would let him set the appointment to the minute, would vibrate or buzz or something when it's time for the appointment, and would have a "snooze" feature.

I think it would probably be nice if he could enter appointments on his computer and upload them to the app, or enter them on the iPod directly. (I don't know how easy or hard entering appts on the iPod calendar would be. I also don't know how easy or hard using the PC with an iPod would be. But he's pretty good with a keyboard, so the additional complexity might be worth it.)

Fast and easy are important for use at school.

Ideas? Suggestions?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

Apple certainly thinks the iPod Touch is a computer. I guess you might need to have an individual discussion with the school about this. Also it doesn't have a vibrating alarm - so the alarms would always need to be audible, and you might need to discuss with school/ littlest one whether that is acceptable.
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
OK, I've solved this problem now. Somebody had accidentally plugged in the old router meaning to power up a different bit of equipment. It was therefore creating a wireless network - but one which had no connection to the internet. The presence of the powered up router was concealed by the general chaos of the study [Hot and Hormonal]

The simplest solution is sometimes the best! [Cool]

--------------------

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I guess you might need to have an individual discussion with the school about this. Also it doesn't have a vibrating alarm - so the alarms would always need to be audible, and you might need to discuss with school/ littlest one whether that is acceptable.

We'll have an individual discussion with the school -- that's not an issue. I'm just trying to work out what apps, if any, we need to load on the device when we get it so it will do what Littlest One needs it to do.

I'd like to know more about the calendar function that comes with it -- can you enter your appointments/reminders in something like Google Calendar, and upload them? Does it have a "snooze" feature?

And I saw something about text messaging with an iPod touch. How does that work, since you're not connected to a phone service?

Thanks for any and all help!

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:

I'd like to know more about the calendar function that comes with it -- can you enter your appointments/reminders in something like Google Calendar, and upload them? Does it have a "snooze" feature?

iPod/Google sync

No snooze on the calendar. The calender that ships with the units is a bit basic. I prefer Pocket Informant. 'Though I do not believe it has a snooze either.
quote:

And I saw something about text messaging with an iPod touch. How does that work, since you're not connected to a phone service?

Thanks for any and all help!

A Wi-Fi connection is needed to text with an iPod touch. I believe you need a 3rd party app as well. Not sure since I have the iPhone, not the iPod.

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

quote:
Originally posted by lilBuddha:
[QUOTE]iPod/Google sync

No snooze on the calendar. The calender that ships with the units is a bit basic. I prefer Pocket Informant. 'Though I do not believe it has a snooze either.

I looked at Pocket Informant, and the web page says "Push Alarms for Events and Todos (requires net connectivity)." Does that mean you don't get reminders if you're not online?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]iPod/Google sync

I looked at Pocket Informant, and the web page says "Push Alarms for Events and Todos (requires net connectivity)." Does that mean you don't get reminders if you're not online?
It would appear so. Sorry about that. It seems that push notifications may not be possible without some connectivity.
From Apple.
quote:
When the iPod touch screen is on and has a Wi-Fi connection, push notifications are received at any time.
This would imply no connection, no notification.
Performing a test, will notify you with the results shortly.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

Does the reminder/alarm function on the built-in calendar work if you're offline?

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Just did that test and yes, the built in calendar app will notify you even if offline. Pocket Informant will not.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

Thanks, lilBuddha. Since "works at school" is the most important criteria, and since wireless is not available at school, the built-in app might turn out to be, not just the best choice, but the only choice.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

*bump*

[Having noticed several techie queries on other threads...]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
First posted in Styx and redirected here:

I would like to upload some pictures to the web, but when I follow the instructions on the Share-to-web upload folder Help instructions, in fact the first instruction, which is to right click on the Share-to-web icon, my computer crashes. This has happened several times on the trot. Has anyone any tips?

(Copied from the 'Same place, new questions' thread in Heaven)

Who can help? Many thanks. [Smile]

--------------------

St. Stephen the Stoned
Shipmate
# 9841

- Posted      Profile for St. Stephen the Stoned   Author's homepage   Email St. Stephen the Stoned   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
First posted in Styx and redirected here:

I would like to upload some pictures to the web, but when I follow the instructions on the Share-to-web upload folder Help instructions, in fact the first instruction, which is to right click on the Share-to-web icon, my computer crashes. This has happened several times on the trot. Has anyone any tips?

(Copied from the 'Same place, new questions' thread in Heaven)

Who can help? Many thanks. [Smile]

It seems others are having similar problems. Google is your friend.

--------------------
Do you want to see Jesus or don't yer? Well shurrup then!

Posts: 518 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Google was my friend and taught me how to remove misspelt words from my personal dictionary with Firefox, but how do I remove misspelt words from the default Firefox directory? There are more than one.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

If the problem is in Firefox' built-in dictionary, you likely need to ask a question here.
If it is in one of the add-on dictionaries you will need to find the author's website and obtain help there.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't think the built-in dictionary is modifiable.

I assume you're using the standard install, which spells in American English. You can install a British English dictionary if you want (but you probably know that).

If you want to modify a dictionary for your own purposes, I think you'll have to compile your own add-on. (Ugh.)

What's the problem with the default dictionary, if I may ask?

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Misspelled words, primarily.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm using Firefox 3.6.3 and I'm going to assume what I've discovered is transferable (it may not be).

Until a few moments ago I had no built-in dictionary so I installed one as an add-on. This created some files and subdirectories under my profile directory. So I now have a directory like this:

C:\Documents and Settings\myuser\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\1quteisr.default\extensions\en-GB@dictionaries.addons.mozilla.org\dictionaries

Under here I have three files a .dic file which is the dictionary itself, a .aff file which has rules about how words can be modified via affixes (i.e. it tell you that count can be made into counted, countable etc).

These files are plain text and can in theory be edited. The format of the .dic file is that you have a line count as the first line then a list of words where the words may be followed by a slash and some letters. The letters are code for the affix rules. The format of the .aff file is not something I've looked into in great detail.

If the misspelled word appears in the .dic file as-is (in misspelled form) then you could simply correct it by editing the file and saving it (keep a copy just in case).

Alternatively the third file is a REAME file which contains some info about the dictionary, including a contact email address of the person maintaining it. Emailing that person with the corrections would be a good idea in any case.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

I may not be thinking very clearly ATM, and this may be rather obvious, but hey, here goes:

Is there some (possibly free) software for detecting multiple copies of the same file(s)?

I'm doing some cleaning up currently on external drives (of up to 1TB each), and think that there's probably an easier solution than doing a search for every single file. Or should I just use less a specific query in the Windows XP search engine?

Thank you for your hints. [Smile]

--------------------

lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Wesley,

Quick search found this and this.
Disclaimer: I've not used any of them.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Wesley,

Quick search found this and this.
Disclaimer: I've not used any of them.

Excellent. Knew it was simple. I'll check out some of your links, lilBuddha! You have zen-like answered my question. Many thanks. [Cool]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Ok, this time I've got a question about a new gadget I've purchased recently, a SonyEricsson smartphone, with web access and all that.

As you can do considerably more with this advanced sort of a mobile phone, I'm now curious what you smartphone users out there have to say on the following:

• My OS is Symbian, which is not exactly top notch, but I do like it. - Is it advisable to get a smartphone AV and firewall and 'block your nicked smartphone' software? Any experience on that?
  • Are there any other things I'd need to look out for? Any further suggestions and hints?

More questions as they arise.

Again, many thanks for your thoughts.

--------------------

Trudy Scrumptious

BBE Shieldmaiden
# 5647

- Posted      Profile for Trudy Scrumptious   Author's homepage   Email Trudy Scrumptious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Another "new gadget" question.

I have been using a Sony digital reader for the past year and loving it. I buy e-books either from the Sony e-bookstore, or from Kobobooks.com . The Kobo books are all epub format; the ones from the Sony store seem to come in a couple of different formats.

What I'm wondering is, do e-books have any built-in controls to stop them from being downloaded to more than one device. I know that my Sony reader is somehow linked to my account at the Sony store from when we registered it. I was toying with the idea of buying my husband an e-reader for Father's Day, and if I did, I would probably buy him Kobo's new e-reader. What I'm wondering is, could I take e-books I've already bought that are on our computer, which have already been copied to my e-reader, and download them a second time to his e-reader? It wouldn't be worth our while getting a second device unless we could share books, and I'm assuming these e-books have some kind of built-in protection to prevent endless recopying, but I don't know what it is.

If anyone is knowledgeable about digital readers, e-book formats, and copying of electronic books, I'd be interested to know.

--------------------
Books and things.

I lied. There are no things. Just books.

Posts: 7428 | From: Closer to Paris than I am to Vancouver | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Trudy

I don't know about downloads, but I do know that most Sony stuff is propriety, so there is a good chance Kokobooks reader will not read any of the Sony books.

I also suspect that Sony might have built in publishing controis, they did on their mini discs, which annoyed me who wanted to record interviews to them and then copy them back onto a computer.

However the quality of the actual gadgets mean that Sony still often get purchases from me.

Jengie

[ 19. June 2010, 08:17: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
I'm now curious what you smartphone users out there have to say on the following:

[list]
[*]My OS is Symbian, which is not exactly top notch, but I do like it. - Is it advisable to get a smartphone AV and firewall and 'block your nicked smartphone' software? Any experience on that?

There are relatively few viruses around that can do any serious damage to smartphones. The slower processor speed and available memory mean that AV products can get in the way. You also need to think about how they get updated - do you have a data plan to cope with virus updates or will you be synchronising with a PC on a regular basis?

The blocking software sounds good, but again it's something that needs to be running continually in the background. What will you have on there that's worth blocking anyway? The phone functions can be disabled by your provider through the IMEI number as soon as you report it stolen or lost.

So, useful but not essential in my opinion, for what that's worth!

--------------------

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, geeks ...

I roughly know the difference between the keyboard (I use a plasma plug-in one since I spilled coffee on my laptop last year) and the screen, but beyond that am not particularly literate computerwise (I'm still trying to work out why there's no ticker-tape coming out the back).

So, in words of one nanobyte or less, can someone please help? Somehow this week McAfee has suddenly uploaded itself into my computer - while I was, I thought, uploading the 37,391,829th Java update. I don't want it. Or at least I don't think I do. I spend lots of money on Norton, which, no matter what anyone says, I like. It seems to me that two bug-splatter programmes is either an overkill or counterproductive or both.

So:
1) do I delete McAfee from that "Add or Remove Programs" window, and
2) will that bugger up my computer, and
3) do I really need new bloody Java thingies every several days? [Ultra confused]

Yours in binary pixelated confusion,
love and kisses
blah blah blah
Zappa

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, remove MacCrappee Security Scan from Add/Remove programs. No, it shouldn't bugger up you computer any more than anything else (E&OE etc.)

And in future, young (ahem) one, become wise to the ways of tossy software that gets tie in sponsorship deals, and look for all the little checkboxes to de-tick when installing updates for Java, Flash, Acrobat and just about any damn thing [Frown]

Oh, and the Java updates are generally a good idea, assuming you actually use any Java apps/sites that use Java applets. Normally bug/security fixes etc.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
young (ahem) one,

[Smile]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

Snaggs, my experience has been to the contrary. Running two anti-virus often causes conflict. Especially Norton.
Not to mention an anti-virus needs to be running constantly to provide optimum protection. So, even if they get along, two are consuming more resources.
Though running more than one anti-spyware hasn't given me much trouble.

--------------------
Hallellou, hallellou

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016