homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 3)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Help! A couple of weeks ago I installed Automatic Updates. Since then, about once a day my computer freezes when I open Internet Explorer. The only way I have found to deal with it is to turn off the power, wait a minute or two, and try again.
You can try turning auto-updates back off and see if that fixes the prob. Go to Control Panel -> System, then choose the auto-updates tab and set it as you require. (Either notify or download and let me choose when to install)

I let Windows download the updates, then choose when to install them.

[Edit for top of page]

[ 12. September 2007, 07:58: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Thurible:
Qestia,

I take it you're on broadband. Certainly when I was on (unlimited) dial-up, I could simply click on the internet-icon thing and it would tell me!

Thurible

Actually it's my connection at work i want to monitor, not exactly sure what that kind of connection is called. I guess I'm connected to the network at all times, so if something could just tell me exactly how long I've got IE open that would be perfect.

--------------------
I’m on Aslan’s side even if there isn’t an Aslan to lead it.
I’m going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn’t any Narnia.

Posts: 1213 | From: Boston | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the bottom right of the screen (where the clock is), one of your icons will be two screens next to each other, with one of them flashing every so often. If you click that, it'll tell you!

Thurible

--------------------
"I've been baptised not lobotomised."

iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
re: IE freezing now and then.

My mom's computer started exhibiting that behavior. I tried upgrading her IE and that didn't fix it.

Ultimately, I had to install firefox and teach her how to use it.

I suppose I could have installed windows from scratch again and selectively applied updates but that would have been mucho tedious.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Jimmy B & cqg. I really don't want to change browsers at this point. Will turning off the automatic updates repair the damage they already seem to have done? Do I need to take my computer to the shop and live without it for several days? [Waterworks]

(I'll have to live at my office so that I can keep up with the Ship!)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
SusanDoris

Incurable Optimist
# 12618

- Posted      Profile for SusanDoris   Author's homepage   Email SusanDoris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
In the bottom right of the screen (where the clock is), one of your icons will be two screens next to each other, with one of them flashing every so often. If you click that, it'll tell you!

Thurible

Well, how clever - I never knew that! Mind you, I'm not going to look at it very often as it might tell me that the amount of time I sppend at the computer is just too shocking!

--------------------
I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

Posts: 3083 | From: UK | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

- Posted      Profile for Thurible   Email Thurible   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Clever but depressing. Sometimes astonishingly so.

Thurible

--------------------

Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

- Posted      Profile for Qestia   Email Qestia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:

Thurible

Well, how clever - I never knew that! Mind you, I'm not going to look at it very often as it might tell me that the amount of time I sppend at the computer is just too shocking!
I don't think I have this feature. The things next to my clock are: Outlook, "connected DataProtector", "Intel Media Graphics accelerator", ThinkVantage Access Connections, and Sygate Security agent.
The data protector and thinkvantage thingy both look like screens.

[Confused]

Sorry if I'm being dense.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

The Access Connections thing doesn't tell you?

If I rest the cursor over mine, it says "Local Area Connection. Speed 100.0 Mbps" Do you not have anything similar?

Thurible

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Thanks, Jimmy B & cqg. I really don't want to change browsers at this point. Will turning off the automatic updates repair the damage they already seem to have done?

I can't be sure but I'd bet no. Sounds like your computer downloaded and installed an update that is messing with you. Turning off auto-updates is good but it won't undo the update. If you want a browser that's similar to IE (but better made), try Maxthon.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, I just assumed it was one of the updates misbehaving as it was coming down and trying to install all in one go. Try just turning off autoupdates first.

No need to get complex if that will fix it. (If not, come back and we will tell you how to uninstall the updates, or at worse go to a previously good system set up).

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Qestia:
quote:
Originally posted by SusanDoris:
quote:

Thurible

I don't think I have this feature. The things next to my clock are: Outlook, "connected DataProtector", "Intel Media Graphics accelerator", ThinkVantage Access Connections, and Sygate Security agent.
The data protector and thinkvantage thingy both look like screens.

[Confused]

Sorry if I'm being dense.

By default it's only present if disconnected, in the case of ethernet connections. Right click the connection in the Network Connections Control Panel applet and choose "display in taskbar when connected"

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Qestia

Marshwiggle
# 717

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
By default it's only present if disconnected, in the case of ethernet connections. Right click the connection in the Network Connections Control Panel applet and choose "display in taskbar when connected"

Excellent, there it is now, timer and everything. Thanks everyone!

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

I hadn't realised it was only there if you made it be such: I've never known any computer without it. Mind you, I haven't always looked but, whenever I have, it's been there.

Thurible

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know that I had to intentionally hide mine when I was trying to minimize the number of icons hanging around.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I hadn't realised it was only there if you made it be such: I've never known any computer without it. Mind you, I haven't always looked but, whenever I have, it's been there.

Thurible

Dialup connections are usually visible all the time; LAN connections aren't. I notice that in Vista the connection is visible by default whether LAN or dialup.

--------------------

iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Will turning off the automatic updates repair the damage they already seem to have done?

Won't repair it, no. Like Jimmy B says, turning it off is the first step.

You can look at the patches that have been applied in Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs... but it's doubtful that you'd be able to easily ID the patch that gummed up the works.

IE is so intrinsic to Windows and the desktop, there's no easy way that I know of to remove it and re-install. That's why I simply installed another browser for my mom.

And as for the network icon in the systray, I do like my blinky lights telling me that *something* is going on.

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There were a few dodgy patches released in May/June time that were linked in with Automatic updates that clogged up the system (caused the SVChost.exe process to go into CPU hogg mode).

If its still running slow despite having all the windows updates on and it is the SVChost process using up all CPU (look in task manager) then the best fix is to hunt on MS website for the latest WindowsUpdate Agent 3.0 and install that... Should help... I'll try and dig out link later if have time.

Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

re: the venerable Linksys router/wireless access point

I bit the bullet and bought a reconditioned WRT54GX2 (802.11g support with some kind of speed booster thingamabob that likely doesn't work unless there's a linksys adapter at the other end).

I cloned the MAC and it came up just fine. I set the WEP key and I'm happily chugging along on my work laptop from upstairs.

The BEFWS11 goes to Craigslist, I think.

Shipmate
# 76

Move to WPA as soon as you can. WEP is about as secure as a piece of string round a safe door.

--------------------

iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

I tried and failed [Hot and Hormonal]

I will turn off the SSID broadcast which will help. I'm using the 128-bit key for a bit more strength.

It's just that the WPA options in the linksys router admin page (WPA personal, WPA enterprise, WPA2, etc.) don't match the kinds of options provided in the wireless connection properties on my windows laptop. My first attempt to come up with a compatible set of settings and keys yielded no joy.

Will do a bit more reading and poking around before making second attempt.

Chapelhead

I am
# 21

- Posted      Profile for Chapelhead     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I’ve tried Micro$oft’s knowledgebase for this, but with no success.

Some people, when sending e-mails, get “Read” receipts sent back to them. In Outlook (2000), as the recipient is there any straightforward way to prevent these “Read by recipient”, “Deleted without being read” etc notices being sent back?

--------------------
At times like this I find myself thinking, what would the Amish do?

Posts: 9123 | From: Near where I was before. | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by cqg:
I tried and failed [Hot and Hormonal]

I will turn off the SSID broadcast which will help. I'm using the 128-bit key for a bit more strength.

It's just that the WPA options in the linksys router admin page (WPA personal, WPA enterprise, WPA2, etc.) don't match the kinds of options provided in the wireless connection properties on my windows laptop. My first attempt to come up with a compatible set of settings and keys yielded no joy.

Will do a bit more reading and poking around before making second attempt.

Even with SSID broadcast off and a 128bit key, it takes about five minutes to break WEP now. With automated tools any idiot can download off the internet.

The option you need for WPA in a home network is WPA PSK - WPA Pre-Shared Key. This is almost exactly like WEP to set up - you define a key and tell both the laptop and the router what it is. This key is never broadcast, so it can't be intercepted. I imagine that this is what your router calls "WPA Personal".

I take it you're running XP SP2? Previous versions are completely horrible to set up.

[ 20. September 2007, 09:28: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Chapelhead:
I’ve tried Micro$oft’s knowledgebase for this, but with no success.

Some people, when sending e-mails, get “Read” receipts sent back to them. In Outlook (2000), as the recipient is there any straightforward way to prevent these “Read by recipient”, “Deleted without being read” etc notices being sent back?

Outlook 2000 prompts me to ask whether to send a read receipt. I'd have a poke around the options to find this one.

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
IPv4 addresses are sometimes known as dotted quads. Is there any similar term for IPv6 addresses?
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
IPv4 addresses are sometimes known as dotted quads. Is there any similar term for IPv6 addresses?

Hideous strings of Hex.

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Hideous strings of Hex.

[Big Grin]

Now you are just making that up.
[Roll Eyes]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

The laptop I finally ordered has now arrived. I can't find the Just Starting Up leaflet it says should be included at the moment so I may be missing something but:

Why doesn't it work?

I've put the battery in, I've plugged it into the wall, I've left it for a couple of hours to charge up (I guessed I needed to do that - perhaps I don't!). The connexion's recognised and when I press the on button, there are signs of life with it sounding as if it's starting to turn on but then there's silence and nothing comes on the screen at all.

Advice, please!

Thurible

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

Send it back. It sounds like a duff one.

--------------------

Thurible
Shipmate
# 3206

Having spoken to the suppliers, that's what I'm doing. Thanks. Such a shame.

Thurible

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pheonix,

quote:
WindowsUpdate Agent 3.0 and install that
I'm in the same loop, sad to say. In the course of doing all you suggest, I get a 6034 Runtime error pointing me to the file (programme)msiexec.exe in the System 32 folder. Working with Microsoft as we speak; will report if any good results.

At the moment, msxml3.msi absolutely refuses to install due to that Runtime error. Have tried disabling protection, clean boot and all--no joy yet.

However, all other updates have installed perfectly. Strange....

Best,

Mary

[ 25. September 2007, 16:07: Message edited by: Leetle Masha ]

--------------------
eleison me, tin amartolin: have mercy on me, the sinner

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May an IMac be part of a network with a PC running XP? And can it use the PC's internet connection?

I'm assuming so, but networking is not my strong point so I thought I'd check.

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having both on a network shouldn't be a problem, Ian. If you want them to share a home internet connection, you'll need a router if you don't already have one.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Climacus:
May an IMac be part of a network with a PC running XP? And can it use the PC's internet connection?

At home I can connect and browse to files on Mr. Otter's desktop running MS-Win from my Mac Book Pro (OSX 10.4-or-mumble). I think his machine runs XP. I don't think he can go the other way, but I can't remember if that's because of incompatibility, or laziness in doing the setup - if I need him to look at something on the iFruit I can either push the file over to his machine, or spin mine computer around to face him. [Smile]

As Basso said, for the two (actually 3 in our house) machines to share an internet connection, they run through a router. Mr. Otter's connection is wired, I'm pretty sure The Otter Pup's is also, and my connection is wireless.

[clarity]

[ 28. September 2007, 14:51: Message edited by: Otter ]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
At home I can connect and browse to files on Mr. Otter's desktop running MS-Win from my Mac Book Pro (OSX 10.4-or-mumble). I think his machine runs XP. I don't think he can go the other way, but I can't remember if that's because of incompatibility, or laziness in doing the setup

You need to turn sharing on on your Mac (Apple Menu -> System Preferences -> Sharing and click Windows Sharing).
Ian Climacus

Liturgical Slattern
# 944

- Posted      Profile for Ian Climacus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you basso and Otter
[from me and my friend who is now looking for routers before he buys his IMac [Smile] ]

Posts: 7800 | From: On the border | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In MS Word a/o Word Processor, where you have a table, how do you write things across a row, ignoring the column boundaries between the row's cells?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
select cells you want to write across, go to tables, and select merge cells.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you, I knew there must be a way to do it.

Although .... I don't actually have Word and methinks I've just found the first defect of MS Works which actually seriously affects what I'm trying to do (the 'merge cell' option doesn't seem exist anywhere on any of the toolbars and the phrase 'merge cell' doesn't return any results in Word Processor's help search; it also doesn't seem to be possible to merge cells in the Works Spreadsheet programme).

So, next question ... where can I download a decent bit of word-processing software for free? Or can anybody recommend a decent bit of word-processing software that costs less than Mr.Gates' Word?

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am looking to buy a new laptop, and I'm discovering how hard it is to do this now if you still want XP. Which I want because of software compatiblity issues with Vista (the word on the street seems to be against Vista until SP1 arrives). Dell will still ship models with XP but (in France at least) only for top-of-the-range models, whereas for this particular puter a mid-range one would be fine.

I have read that it is possible to downgrade (or roll back or whatever one does) a puter shipped with Vista to XP. Does anyone have any experience of doing this?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No problem, provided you have a copy of XP that doesn't require "activation". Just boot up with the XP CD in the drive, follow prompts to delete all existing partitions, create a new partition, and install XP.

The principal caveat is to be sure you have all the necessary drivers -- video, audio, network -- beforehand. These should be downloaded beforehand and stored on a "thumb drive".

This is best handled by someone who knows what they are doing.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mountain Snow Tiger

It might just work like Excel (who ever said Microsoft were consistent) in which case look under format and see if there is an option to format cells , then alignment, then merge cells.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This is best handled by someone who knows what they are doing. [/QB]
Thanks
[Ultra confused]

The problem is that the people I know who would be capable of doing this are all sworn enemies of Micro$oft.

I read something about being able to do this by calling Microsoft and getting an over-the-phone key to get to Windows XP already lurking on the hard disk somewhere....?

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:

I read something about being able to do this by calling Microsoft and getting an over-the-phone key to get to Windows XP already lurking on the hard disk somewhere....?

Most unlikely. M$ have been forced to extend the period that vendors are *allowed* to sell computers with XP loaded instead of Vista, but you may need to hone your sweet-talking skills to actually get one.
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The part that needs doing by folks who know what they are doing involves downloading the drivers beforehand. You need someone who knows what drivers are needed, where to find them on the web, and then how to install them after XP has been installed.

Chances are, if your laptop is a standard brand with standard components, XP will recognize the video board, audio chip and network card and you won't need the extra drivers. But on the off-chance that XP doesn't recognize these, you will be left hanging unless you have the proper drivers all ready to install.

The problem with a version of XP that requires activation is that it's probably already been activated in another PC. So if you try to activate it after installing it in your new laptop, you're likely to get an error message stating that it's already been used elsewhere.

I, too, heard that if you call Microsoft and explain to them that the original PC has been rendered unusable and that your new PC is a replacement for same, they'll let you re-use the activation key. You might want to call Microsoft beforehand for a clarification.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
It might just work like Excel (who ever said Microsoft were consistent) in which case look under format and see if there is an option to format cells , then alignment, then merge cells.

Seriously, I think there really is no way at all of merging the cells in a table when working in MS Word Processor.

Thankfully, a friend pointed out the answer to my follow-up question last night. I'm currently downloading OpenOffice. Booya.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:
Seriously, I think there really is no way at all of merging the cells in a table when working in MS Word Processor.

Table --> Merge Cells does a pretty good job [Biased]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
quote:
This is best handled by someone who knows what they are doing.

Thanks
[Ultra confused]

The problem is that the people I know who would be capable of doing this are all sworn enemies of Micro$oft.

I read something about being able to do this by calling Microsoft and getting an over-the-phone key to get to Windows XP already lurking on the hard disk somewhere....? [/QB]

No, because there isn't a version of XP lurking on the HDD unless the machine was originally built with XP and upgraded with the option to backup to previous configuration selected.

I'm finding Vista perfectly stable without SP1. The only issues I've found are with USB HID devices on waking from sleep.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mountainsnowtiger:

Table --> Merge Cells does a pretty good job [Biased]
Sorry, didn't mean you meant MS Works WP. Didn't read the original post.

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok this is an odd one. I have a trusty old PC still running Win98SE. Last week I replaced the printer (the old one died). Bought a replacement printer (second hand) on eBay that was exactly the same model, so I already had drivers, but had quite a bit of trouble getting it to work, probably because the serial number was different and stuff like that. For some reason it only seems to want to work properly when plugged into one particular USB port, which is not the same one as the old printer was plugged in. But that's by the by, the new printer is now working, and this may be totally unrelated to my current new 'problem'. I only relate them because the problem started when I was having trouble getting the new printer to work.

For a couple of days on start up, I got a dialog box appeared about a missing file or path, can't remember the exact name, but later events cause me to assume it was referring to Microsoft works calendar. Yes I do have an ancient version of Works installed, but rarely use it. To the best of my knowledge I have NEVER used the calendar (I use Outlook for calendar) and I didn't even know there was a calendar in Works.

Well that happened for a couple of days, then since yesterday when I boot up, it automatically starts up Microsoft works calendar (complete with a dialog box asking me if i want to make it my default calendar). I have no desire to use this facility, so can someone please remind me how to stop it starting up when I start the machine. Thanks. No idea how it 'found' the missing path, and no idea if this is related to the printer thing. Odd.

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016