homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 33)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snags:
Probably also depends on exactly how specific your questions are, or whether they're actually more generic Linux issues.

Well I'm getting a lappie this week in the post (supposedly today) with Ubuntu pre-installed. I'm lining up my emergency phone numbers for the inevitable cry for help.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
swllwmzn
Shipmate
# 12945

- Posted      Profile for swllwmzn   Email swllwmzn   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Amanda and Snags for the advice - I may try the less drastic options first! We have an external hard drive but very annoyingly dh, who is a bit clueless, allowed the man in the apple shop to sell him something he was assured would work straight off on our pc. Predictably it doesn't...
Posts: 96 | From: Budleigh Babberton | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:
Nobody here knows Ubuntu?

I haven't made the jump to Ubuntu yet - I'm still using Fedora. But generic linux-ish questions I can probably help with.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks everybody. We'll soon see how dizzy my new Linux box makes me.

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've jumped and am using Linux at home.
Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pasta la Vista
Apprentice
# 15288

- Posted      Profile for Pasta la Vista     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I would suggest signing up on the
Ubuntu Forums if you haven't already done so. Almost all your questions have probably been asked there before, and if not there'll be someone who can answer them.

Also, given Ubuntu is the most popular Linux distro at present, Google is your friend.

If it's pre-installed, that at least avoids any installation issues. On the other hand, you may not get quite the installation you want e.g. will it have media playback and Flash enabled?

I'm a Debian man myself. Lots of similarities due to being Ubuntu's sire, but enough differences to catch me out occasionally.

--------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 9 | From: Deep midwicket | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, more clarity now I'm home - I have Ubuntu, version Lucid Lynx, started with Karmic Koala, and use the Open Source programmes.

There are things I find maddening and things I like.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Revolutionist
Shipmate
# 4578

- Posted      Profile for The Revolutionist   Email The Revolutionist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dual boot Ubuntu Linux on my desktop and netbook - just upgraded them to the new Maverick Meerkat 10.10 release - but I'm not any kind of expert.

I generally find Ubuntu very straightforward, and the community support online from the forums, wikis, blogs and the like is very good.

Posts: 1296 | From: London | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have an Acer Aspire 5542 with a AMD M880 with ATI Moblity Radeon HD 4200 chipset
The drivers are outdated, causing random BSOD. I asked windows to automatically update my drivers which resulted in being told it was already up to date. I then wandered the ATI site and found the current Catalyst Control center suite, which install but neither the 32-bit nor the 64-bit driver will install.
What am I doing wrong? Once I get this driver update I need to sort the Reltek soundcard [Waterworks]
Curious Kitten

--------------------
Happiness is not having what we want but wanting what we have.

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've had good luck with Driver Detective, especially on an Acer, for which I've found it hard to get drivers otherwise. As I recall, the free version will tell you which drivers need updating but won't let you update them. The reasonably priced full version will let you update the drivers.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Acer site, dubious as it often is, should have the latest relevant drivers available for download.

However ... if the system was stable, and now isn't, then the drivers aren't necessarily the problem - if they've worked fine with the hardware for ages, then they don't suddenly stop being suitable unless there's some other additional factor.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
I have an Acer Aspire 5542 with a AMD M880 with ATI Moblity Radeon HD 4200 chipset
The drivers are outdated, causing random BSOD. I asked windows to automatically update my drivers which resulted in being told it was already up to date. I then wandered the ATI site and found the current Catalyst Control center suite, which install but neither the 32-bit nor the 64-bit driver will install.
What am I doing wrong? Once I get this driver update I need to sort the Reltek soundcard [Waterworks]
Curious Kitten

What Windows build do you have?
Posts: 2146 | From: Reading, Berkshire UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

She's got a Seven 64bit

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

- Posted      Profile for Alex Cockell     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this Google search - Search for drivers
This might help as there seem to be custom CDs available... with repair tools.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

She's got that far - we had that conversation. It's an AMD turion IIx2 M500 processor, card is an ATI radion HD4200. The combination works with AMD M880 with ATI mobility radio HD4200 - that's all the details she has offline.

The driver last updated August 2009 and won't update beyond that.

--------------------

Pasta la Vista
Apprentice
# 15288

- Posted      Profile for Pasta la Vista     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
She's got that far - we had that conversation. It's an AMD turion IIx2 M500 processor, card is an ATI radion HD4200. The combination works with AMD M880 with ATI mobility radio HD4200 - that's all the details she has offline.

The driver last updated August 2009 and won't update beyond that.

There is a version of the ATI VGA driver on the Acer support site date 22/09/2009. Only a little more recent than August 2009 but it might help.

Acer Aspire 5542 drivers

Note: This link is with Windows 7 Home Premium x64 selected as the OS.

--------------------
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Posts: 9 | From: Deep midwicket | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

- Posted      Profile for Curious Kitten     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
However ... if the system was stable, and now isn't, then the drivers aren't necessarily the problem - if they've worked fine with the hardware for ages, then they don't suddenly stop being suitable unless there's some other additional factor.

My BSOD crash log blames ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!KiDoubleFaultAbort+b2 ), !analyse -v gives me DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_DRIVER_FAULT, which would seem to be the drivers.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fair point, although some of the mini-dump errors can end up being a touch on the generic side.

Is there anything else that points to it being the video drivers, rather than any of the other drivers on the system? Apologies if this is an egg-sucking thing, but it would be worth cross-referencing with anything iffy in System and Application logs, and doing some of the usual basics if you haven't already done them (memory test, disk check, malware scans etc., from boot CDs if the OS isn't stable enough to cope).

And grabbing the slightly more recent driver that Pasta la Vista's dug up, of course [Smile]

IME previously stable video drivers usually only start falling over if either the video RAM is on the way out, or some new software that's pushing them harder than originally expected etc. so it's worth looking around a bit wider. Again, apologies if you've already been through that loop.

--------------------

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

quote:
Is there anything else that points to it being the video drivers, rather than any of the other drivers on the system? Apologies if this is an egg-sucking thing, but it would be worth cross-referencing with anything iffy in System and Application logs, and doing some of the usual basics if you haven't already done them (memory test, disk check, malware scans etc., from boot CDs if the OS isn't stable enough to cope).

It has blue screen 6 time in the last month. Of those 6 times once was playing spotify, once playing iplayer and 3 times was playing youtube. I was suspecting that it was the sound card having finally given up the ghost but the minilog doesn't seem to support that.
There are errors coming out of my ears on the system logs, 1 set is solveable pretty easily (Error ID 4321 NetBT) and should hopefully solve the another 2 in the process (Error ID 8003 Bowser and Error ID 8009 BROWSER). Windows has not help to solve errors with atikmdag, which is giving Error ID 43029 and 52236 fairly regularlly. The rest have semi useful solutions on the windows site. (Error ID 7000 with system, Error ID 7000, 7001,7026 with Service Conrol Manager). I have a MacAfee error that's confusing me as I don't have MacAffe installed.
It's stable provided I don't have sound or video on but it's getting annoying.
Curious Kitten

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

Sorry for the double post.
To clarify the errors are in my system logs, the application log is clear of errors.

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

Hrm, were it not for the atikmdag one I'd have been weighing in on the sound card too.

Have you tried explicitly removing the ATI driver set and utilities, then deleting the video card from Device Manager, rebooting, and let it use the default Windows driver for a bit? Might mean losing some prettiness (or not, W7 probably comes with a fairly good match), but could help with the testing/diagnosis/resolution process.

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

How much would that limit the graphics? I can keep it upright and happy provided I avoid spotify, youtube ect.
The driver from Acer won't dl so haven't tried it.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Mamacita: to delete an address from the auto-completion list that comes up, do the following:

- start typing the address until the list shows
- (if necessary) use the arrow keys to highlight the 'bad' entry in the list
- press "Del" / "Delete" on the keyboard

Bosh. Sorted.

Well, for pete'ssake. Who would have thought that it was simply a matter of how I was navigating to and selecting the offending address? All along, it was simply a matter of using the Down Arrow key. Thank you, Snags. My address book is getting lighter by the day.

Once again this thread has saved me endless annoyance, and I am grateful.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
lilBuddha
Shipmate
# 14333

- Posted      Profile for lilBuddha     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curious Kitten:
How much would that limit the graphics? I can keep it upright and happy provided I avoid spotify, youtube ect.
The driver from Acer won't dl so haven't tried it.

I have found reinstalling/updating a driver may not work if Windows thinks it is running fine. Uninstalling it will then allow the new driver to install.

[ 21. October 2010, 14:57: Message edited by: lilBuddha ]

--------------------
I put on my rockin' shoes in the morning
Hallellou, hallellou

Posts: 17627 | From: the round earth's imagined corners | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snags
# 15351

"It depends" :/

Worst case, it will limit the graphics severely (no aero, limited resolution etc.) but W7 does have a lot of native support for a lot of hardware, so I would anticipate it not being worst case.

However, with the old driver off, it may well pave the way for getting a new one on. I'm currently downloading both the ATI and the AMD drivers from Acer - if you're in the UK I'd be happy to bung them on a CD in the post; if you're elsewhere, I can shove them on some web space and PM you a link?

The AMD one is from Feb this year, and is probably the one you want (AMD bought ATI and IIRC are dropping ATI as a brand, so it will be the right thing).

--------------------

Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

quote:
Worst case, it will limit the graphics severely (no aero, limited resolution etc.) but W7 does have a lot of native support for a lot of hardware, so I would anticipate it not being worst case.[qb]

I was wondering if I could create similar situations without the graphics driver to test if it was sound card that causing the trouble.
quote:
[QB]I'm currently downloading both the ATI and the AMD drivers from Acer - if you're in the UK I'd be happy to bung them on a CD in the post; if you're elsewhere, I can shove them on some web space and PM you a link?

Thanks, I'm in the UK and the internet conection I'm on is firewalled such that online file sharing is banned.

[ 21. October 2010, 15:45: Message edited by: Curious Kitten ]

--------------------

Snags
# 15351

I wasn't going to suggest a file-sharing thing; I can just stick them up on one of our servers and give you FTP access, or if you can't FTP out from behind your firewall, I can put them up on a basic web page for you to click and download in the same way you'd download anything else from the web.

Or PM me a postal address if that's easier.

--------------------

Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think this is a fairly basic question, but my usuals IT helpdesk is at work herself...

I'm working with a Brazilian lass at the moment, and we spend quite a lot of time on Google translate when we reach mutual incomprehension. It's not helped because my keyboard is a standard QWERTY. Can someone tell me where I find the keyboard shortcuts for accented letters, please? Obviously the ones for Portuguese are best, but just general accents would be a great improvement!

Many thanks,

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try this - its really good I think! Just found it using Google

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That looks great - we'll give it a go in a few minutes, she's doing something else right now, and let you know how it works. Thanks!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It seems to take longer and longer to connect to the internet these days. I boot up the pc, then turn the router on, and it now takes 7 minutes to get a broadband internet connection. It never used to take this long.

I'm not an expert in these matters but a) is this just something that happens with some providers, and b) if this is unusual, is there anything I can do? I am now in the situation where my aging pc and the router combined effectively need to be given 10 minutes or so before I can get on the internet.

Buying a new computer is not currently an option, btw.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel

I find that at speed varies at different times of day and network. In an evening at home although my home network is up, I can find it very difficult indeed to get onto the internet. I presume because I have been a cheapo with my internet provider and therefore bottom of the pile.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It seems to take longer and longer to connect to the internet these days. I boot up the pc, then turn the router on, and it now takes 7 minutes to get a broadband internet connection. It never used to take this long.

Buying a new computer is not currently an option, btw.

Ariel,

Routers are designed to NOT be switched off. Basically, your kit is constantly in a training mode, where the exchange and your router talk to each other to ascertain how high a speed your phone line can handle safely depending on how fast they run.

Best practice is - do whatever you want with the PC, but LEAVE THE ROUTER ON.

BTW, the other delay (if you boot PC then router) is the time it takes for the router to connect and stabilise the ADSL connection, start the DHCP (Dynamic Host Config Protocol) server process, hand out an IP address to your PC, and your PC to bring up an IP stack.

Minimise the time... leave the router on - it doesn't drain much power.

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

- Posted      Profile for Ariel   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It may not drain much power but it does get noticeably hot. I don't feel comfortable about leaving it on all day when I'm at work - or through the night.

If I do keep it on when the pc's turned off does that mean an unfirewalled internet connection that can then be used for some purpose by someone else?

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

quote:
Originally posted by Ariel:
It may not drain much power but it does get noticeably hot. I don't feel comfortable about leaving it on all day when I'm at work - or through the night.

If I do keep it on when the pc's turned off does that mean an unfirewalled internet connection that can then be used for some purpose by someone else?

If you run a desktop next to it, and only that, and it's on a wired Ethernet connection... then log into the router's admin options, and switch off the wifi radio... job done

If you have kit using the Wifi interface, then you can do the following...

Do you have WPA2 security switched on?
  • Get the MAC addresses of the individual machines
  • Log into the admin console on the router itself (point a browser to an address like 192.168.0.1 if a Netgear), login as admin
  • Follow your router's options for defining trusted MAC addresses
  • Reboot your router

Why is it warm? Are you sure it's in a sensibly-ventilated area?

What model of router is it?

[ 23. October 2010, 18:57: Message edited by: Alex Cockell ]

Ariel
Shipmate
# 58

Sorry, you've lost me. I'm not computer-minded, and I'm not even sure what Ethernet is or whether I have it. All I know is, I don't have wifi ability as far as I know. This is a 9 year old pc with a Voyager 210 router. I have no idea how to log into admin options, and do not have the knowledge (or confidence) to alter the settings.

The router's always been warm when in use, ever since I got it. Ventilation should be fine. It's by itself on the table.

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AFAICT the Voyager 210 is an ethernet router only with no wireless option, so the only access to it is via a computer that is connected to it by a cable and is actually running. If your computer is switched off, there is no internet security risk from leaving your router switched on.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ariel - it may not help, but I was having similar problems with my (somewhat aged) desktop. Start-up times got longer and longer. Some of it was the extra workload with bigger (not necessarily better) security applications and the other junk that accumulates and appears at start-up.

My solution was to increase RAM memory - in my case from half a GB to 2GB. The difference was very significant. But of course it cost - in my case about £70 for branded memory.

ETA - my router is switched on all the time.

[ 23. October 2010, 21:46: Message edited by: TonyK ]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Zoey

Broken idealist
# 11152

- Posted      Profile for Zoey   Email Zoey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I finished my undergrad studies a few years ago, I forwarded a significant number of emails from my then uni account to my yahoo account. Somehow I even managed to get the emails into my yahoo account without any indications that they are forwards. In the relevant field, they say 'To: "Zoey Surname" <zoey.surname@undergrad-uni.ac.uk>'and 'Fw' does not appear anywhere on them. I have no idea now how I achieved this.

I've recently finished a Masters degree at a different uni. I have a uni email account which I access through a tab in Blackboard and which says Outlook Web Access at the top. This email account will get shut down in the near future and I'd like to do a bulk transfer of emails over to my yahoo account. However, the uni account won't even let me forward multiple emails together. If I open Blackboard in Firefox, then there is no 'Forward' button at the top of the inbox or other folders. If I open Blackboard in Internet Explorer, select multiple emails using Ctrl + Alt and press the forward button, only the first of the selected emails gets forwarded.

Help?

--------------------
Pay no mind, I'm doing fine, I'm breathing on my own.

Posts: 3095 | From: the penultimate stop? | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

What mail client do you have access to locally?

Sounds as though your best idea is to approach your IT department and ask them to export your mailbox to an independent MS Outlook .PST file, with no password applied. This can be imported to your choice of mail client...

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something odd happened the other day--I woke my computer up (I leave it on all the time) and found the screen full of warnings about an infection and pop-ups offering to sell me an antivirus software I've never heard of to fix it.

My browser (Chrome) was closed, and would not open--I got messages that various files were corrupt when I tried to open it, or my antivirus program, Avira. I restarted Windows 7, and got a warning that a program with no known publisher was trying to load. Of course, I didn't let it, and Chrome loaded but wouldn't connect to any pages. Avira found nothing; I ran AdAware and it found a Trojan and got rid of it. After a bit of investigation, I found out that Chrome's proxy connection settings had been changed, and I fixed them. Now everything seems fine, but I'm wondering if I should do anything else to cover all my bases.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh crap. I had that, used Malwarebytes to find and fix it. Don't know if it would be a good idea to get that (free version) and run it just in case...

You DO realize that the real infection WAS the fake "sell-you-an-antivirus-program," right? It didn't find an infection for you; it WAS the infection.

[ 25. October 2010, 03:57: Message edited by: Lamb Chopped ]

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll second that... Download install, update and run a full scan with malware bytes... Then reboot and run it again to be sure...
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Curious Kitten
Shipmate
# 11953

quote:
Have you tried explicitly removing the ATI driver set and utilities, then deleting the video card from Device Manager, rebooting, and let it use the default Windows driver for a bit? Might mean losing some prettiness (or not, W7 probably comes with a fairly good match), but could help with the testing/diagnosis/resolution process.

Uninstalled the graphics driver to update and spent sometime on VGA graphics. Set spotify to run and BSOD same error file as before. Is it worth uninstalling the sound drivers and reinstalling them before I give up and take the computer in for repair?

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
Oh crap. I had that, used Malwarebytes to find and fix it. Don't know if it would be a good idea to get that (free version) and run it just in case...

You DO realize that the real infection WAS the fake "sell-you-an-antivirus-program," right? It didn't find an infection for you; it WAS the infection.

Yeah, I got that.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good, thought you might, but I've had to walk several people through the disinfection process who didn't.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by Pasta la Vista:
quote:

I would suggest signing up on the
Ubuntu Forums if you haven't already done so. Almost all your questions have probably been asked there before, and if not there'll be someone who can answer them.

Have done, and nope. As soon as it turns out your problem can't be solved by one or two textbook methods, the place goes schtum. Great if I have problems that I could figure out the answer to if I thought about it for a while.* But worthless for my real problems.

*(This is experience-tested, not just boasting.)

--------------------

Alex Cockell

Ship’s penguin
# 7487

MT, what were you wanting to know?
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

I need to get my Ubuntu box to talk to my HP printer that is attached to an XP print server.

If I try to add a printer using Samba, I can see the whole network, and all the computers on it, but if I click on the name of the computer with the printer, it times out.

I have also tried looking for the printer from within HPLIP with no success.

I also tried a trick someone suggested somewhere of trying to attach to the printer using an http: address and port 631.

My router assigns temporary IP addresses to printers on the network, so I don't have a stable IP address I can hook into that way.

Who will rescue me from this body of death?

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

mousethief - have you tried looking in your Ubuntu software centre to see what programmes are there that might solve the problem?

Looking at mine, there's a programme called Printer "a Footmatic-Gui printer configuration tool" that looks as if it organises networks and a programme called Default Printer that allows you to select a default printer, but I haven't got beyond looking to see what's there.

This is my problem with Linux, I have to find and download the right software to do anything - and use separate programmes to do each step of a stage of steps.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  30  31  32  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016