homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 4)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

- Posted      Profile for Lumpy da Moose   Email Lumpy da Moose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This may be a solution-- got to Start, Run, then type in the run box-- msconfig and press enter. You should get a dialog box and look for a tab at the top called "Startup." Click on that. Look for a startup item with something referring to Works or calender or somesuch and uncheck (untick) the box in front of it, click on apply and then OK. That should take care of it.

Of course, if you're not using any of the Works suite, just uninstall the whole mess. If you have the full version of Outlook, I'm guessing it came as part of the Office suite. If you have Office, you don't need Works.

Also, if this doesn't work, look down by the clock in the lower right and see if "task scheduler" is started. If so, click on it to open it, go to options and click "disable task scheduler." Your calender may be running through there as well.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
member, Our Ladye of the Bandwidthe and All Angels

Posts: 1035 | From: Gulf Coast, USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So...

Leopard. I'm on an iMac with Tiger. Should I upgrade? Discuss.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If my Mac would run it (I'm still on a G3) I'd upgrade. This after skipping Tiger entirely.

Reviews have been almost unanimously positive. It's supposed to be Very Fast.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a new-ish Mac user, I asked a very geeky list, and the resident Mac-fans said to go for it. Spaces (virtual desktops) and Time Machine (backup utility) are what looked the most interesting to me, but they said there's lots of other goodies under the hood, too, that don't show up or get minimal mention on Apple's advertising pages. They also suggested waiting a couple of weeks to a month if I was worried about early-release bugs. But my copy should arrive today, and my new external drive tomorrow, so I'll probably be installing tomorrow. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Why? I'm on 10.4 here (Tiger) and there is nothng I want to do that I can't (except run PovRay & I've not heard 10.5 will do that)

Unles a clincher comes along I'll stick with this until my next Mac - which, money being money, and Macs being overpriced, might be another six years which was the gap betwen this one and the previous one [Frown]

If I had a spare few hundred I'd buy an external disk though [Smile]

[ 02. November 2007, 02:44: Message edited by: ken ]

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a nice Buffalo Technology DriveStation external disk (USB) that my iMac doesn't want to seem to recognise.

I guess I'll have to by one of the DriveStation combo's (USB & FireWire) instead and relegate the USB-only one to some kind of NAS with a USB port.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
Why? I'm on 10.4 here (Tiger) and there is nothng I want to do that I can't (except run PovRay & I've not heard 10.5 will do that)
...snip...
If I had a spare few hundred I'd buy an external disk though [Smile]

Well, the cheap-shot simple answer is that they felt the price/value-received equation tilted in favor of buying. One liked some of the improved functionality that the apple hype pages glossed over (which pretty much went over my head), another one is really impressed with Time Machine, others have kept current with each release in the past and don't have any particular thing to point to this time around. That said, none of them made me feel that I should feel obliged to go to Leopard, either.

I got lucky and found a 320 GB external drive (desktop, not a cool slinky portable one) for US $90.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yeah, I was drooling over the firewire and/or wireless disk server I saw in the Apple Shop that looks like a white plastic paperback book and just sits there and gives you 500 Gbytes of extra space.

Which seems to be last year's news... its now 750Gb and costs less than 300 dollars...

Of course you could get a less cool disk directed at Windows users and requiring boring cables for half that - a hundred dollars or more is a lot to pay for a white plastic sleeve round the box and a fast wireless card inside.

--------------------
Ken

Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

- Posted      Profile for Lumpy da Moose   Email Lumpy da Moose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, fast and wireless are oxymorons, like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp. It would probably work for transferring small files like MP3s or something, but for large files it would be better to use a wire, preferably Firewire.

If you're just cruisin' and not in a hurry and don't want to mess with wires, go for it . . .

And make sure you have security in place so a neighbor doesn't decide to use it. [Biased]

--------------------

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm running Tiger on both my G3 (Pismo 500) and 12" G4 Powerbooks, and don't plan on upgrading [i.e. the G4] to 10.5 until I feel the need for a new Mac. That won't happen for a while, because they're expensive, and because I'm holding out for a good replacement for the 12" PB. I use Adobe CS2 and moving to a new Mac would require an upgrade to CS3 and I don't need that either.

So...Leopard. I've been perusing the Mac discussion sites a bit and there's not much to tempt me to change. I'm writing this post on my c.2000 G3 and, while it's pretty slow now for stuff like video, it's still a worthy machine for general wireless surfing.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy da Moose:
Ken, fast and wireless are oxymorons, like military intelligence or jumbo shrimp. It would probably work for transferring small files like MP3s or something, but for large files it would be better to use a wire, preferably Firewire.

If you're just cruisin' and not in a hurry and don't want to mess with wires, go for it . . .

And make sure you have security in place so a neighbor doesn't decide to use it. [Biased]

Having spent most of the last ten working days trying to get our eduroam service working through an Alcatel WLAN controller/switch, a little PIX firewall, a very big Cisco router with firewall module, and a couple of Linux FreeRadius servers what I installed myself, authenticating via Samba and Windows Active Directory, this is more or less where I live [Frown]

--------------------
Ken

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Excel to add up invoices and then calculate VAT on the summed total. I've noticed that it seems to be out by 0,01€ on occasion, eg rendering 2.242 as 2.25, which is rather worrying.

I have the cells set to display figures as currency to 2 decimal places.

Does anyone have any idea where this error is coming from and how I could fix it? Thanks.

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
question 1:

Are you using format or the round function to get the results from your calculation?

If the format form then your are not rounding it, it is only presenting the data to 2 decimal places but it is holding the data to something like sixteen. This can cause small errors.

However if you are rounding and also calculating percentage on the total then you will get a similar mismatch in results.

Jengie

[ 05. November 2007, 11:06: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
question 1:

Are you using format or the round function to get the results from your calculation?

Um, err [Hot and Hormonal]

I'm using the formula "(sum Xa:Xb)" to get the total of cells set to "currency - 2 decimals" which are in turn multiplications of cells set to up to 3 decimal places. Then I'm using (Xc*0.196) to get the (French) VAT. Does that answer your question?

Since my Excel is in French, I'm not sure what your function terms correspond to. I'm probably rounding somewhere, but how do I know I am and how do I stop it??

[ 05. November 2007, 13:59: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Format, rather than rounding.

For example, suppose you have 1 pound divided between three people. That will be 33.3333... pence each, correct?

That will be reported as 33.33 in each cell.

Add those up, you get 99.99

Hence the sorts of errors you get.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

It's multiplication rather than division, but I guess the problem is something like this.

I think I understand that if I have calculations which give results that run to four decimal places and add all those up, it could come out differently from adding up the two-decimal-place result (maths is really really not my strong point though and I am quaking in my boots at the thought of interpreting a cryptology conference this week for this very reason...)

Assuming this is the case, is there any way I can make the result correct to two decimal places only at each stage of the calculation? I surely can't be the only person using Excel to add up rows of numbers which are themselves multiples, can I??

--------------------

Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

quote:
Originally posted by ken:
quote:
Originally posted by Lumpy da Moose:

Having spent most of the last ten working days trying to get our eduroam service working through an Alcatel WLAN controller/switch, a little PIX firewall, a very big Cisco router with firewall module, and a couple of Linux FreeRadius servers what I installed myself, authenticating via Samba and Windows Active Directory, this is more or less where I live [Frown]
[Ultra confused]

Well, then, a wireless hard drive should be a minor issue! But a wire still is faster.

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
It's multiplication rather than division, but I guess the problem is something like this.

I think I understand that if I have calculations which give results that run to four decimal places and add all those up, it could come out differently from adding up the two-decimal-place result (maths is really really not my strong point though and I am quaking in my boots at the thought of interpreting a cryptology conference this week for this very reason...)

Assuming this is the case, is there any way I can make the result correct to two decimal places only at each stage of the calculation? I surely can't be the only person using Excel to add up rows of numbers which are themselves multiples, can I??

Use the ROUND function.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Use the ROUND function.

I hear you.

Now can you spell out in which menu that is? Bear in mind that I have Excel in French and the translations can be hit and miss.

[ 06. November 2007, 15:56: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

It's not in a menu. It's a function, like any other.

Suppose you have the number 5.234234 in cell A1. If you put the function ROUND (A1,2) into cell B1, it will contain the value 5.23

To avoid having multiple columns, take your existing calculation and put it into the ROUND function. So if a cell currently contains the formula SUM(A1:A2), change it to ROUND(SUM(a1:a2),2)

Alternatively, but be careful with this one, you can:

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the Calculation tab.
Under Workbook options, select the Precision as displayed check box.

Then any values will be held and worked on according to the precision you set in the properties for that cell.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Right. Light dawns. Now I just have to find out how they translated "round"...

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If it helps the function is describe as
quote:
Rounds the number to the specified number of digits
Microsoft also have roundup() and rounddown() in English which might also help. For Tax purposes you may wish to use roundup()

Jengie

ETA Thank you very much for your patience Karl I sat down several times to explicate and failed.

[ 06. November 2007, 18:30: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

It may be something like "arrondis" but that was done through Babel fish

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Thanks to both of you.

It turns out the French for Karl's solution is
quote:
=ARRONDI(SOMME(A1:A2);2)
I totally hate translations of software instructions (unless they are mine of course [Big Grin] )

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Very basic device question: can I plug in a generic external keyboard to a laptop via any USB port - will the computer find it (keys falling off laptop keyboard grr)?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Very basic device question: can I plug in a generic external keyboard to a laptop via any USB port - will the computer find it (keys falling off laptop keyboard grr)?

Yes.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Thanks again Karl!

(Also delighted to report that Dell has reverted to shipping XP on cheap laptops here if one so desires)

[ 14. November 2007, 09:12: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone have any experience of Sky broadband? I am thinking of getting Sky satellite TV and it would probably work out cheaper to go for a satellite and broadband package and ditch my current broadband.

Also if I did this, would I have to lose my current email address and be something like sparrow@sky.com?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Does anyone have any experience of Sky broadband? I am thinking of getting Sky satellite TV and it would probably work out cheaper to go for a satellite and broadband package and ditch my current broadband.

Not personally but quite a few of the guys at work use it. The consensus seems to be that it's ok when it works (which is most of the time) but if you need to call customer service they are awful. However that seems to be true of a lot of places.

It seems to be the price, because they have Sky anyway, that convinced most of them.

quote:
Also if I did this, would I have to lose my current email address and be something like sparrow@sky.com?
If you mean the one in your profile then yes you can keep it. You'll usually get a new one anyway but there's no need to use it.
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is there a way to deliberately throttle my broadband speed? I have a housemate who (and G*d knows what he's downloading) keeps chewing through my data quota. If I could slow down the connection when I'm not at home during the day it could help.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
R.A.M.
Shipmate
# 7390

- Posted      Profile for R.A.M.   Email R.A.M.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm running Leopard on my 15" iBook G4. It works well, and I am pleased with it, but I didn't have to pay for it. I haven't noticed much that I find so sexy that it would have been worth paying for. Spaces is really useful, and there are a couple of neat little tweaks. However, it isn't that much better than 10.4 so if you have the one, I wouldn't upgrade. UNLESS, you like the sound of time-machine, I haven't tried it yet, because I haven't got a large enough external hard drive. (which you do need), but I am told it is worth the full upgrade price.

--------------------
Formerly Real Ale Methodist
Back after prolonged absence...

Posts: 1584 | From: (Sunshine on) Leith | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:

quote:
If you mean the one in your profile then yes you can keep it. You'll usually get a new one anyway but there's no need to use it.

Actually I meant the one I got when I signed up with my current internet provider - e.g. sparrow@provider.com - would I still be able to use that? I am signed up to a lot of online shopping sites using that address.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

You'll lose that as soon as your contract with your current provider runs out. If it's a no monthly fee dial-up, then you can probably keep it, but they might notice you're not dialling in after a while and close it anyway. You probably wouldn't be able to send mail from it; I've found ISP SMTP servers will not accept mail from someone not connected via one of their dial-in servers - for good reasons.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Do I admit to having a still working email account, on a no monthly fee dial-up, which is running several years since I last dialled up! Oh I normally down load mail from it once a week (I can't at the moment but once my back room is up and running properly again I will do)

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Is there a way to deliberately throttle my broadband speed? I have a housemate who (and G*d knows what he's downloading) keeps chewing through my data quota. If I could slow down the connection when I'm not at home during the day it could help.

In our house, that kind of thing is done through the firewall (an external hardware one). Not sure if ours can actually throttle, but it can be turned completely off for certain hours, and/or certain users - The Otter Pup currently has no internet access at all, at times in the past it's only been on for him when we'd typically be home and awake (after a period of sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night, [Roll Eyes] )

I suppose what you do depends in part on the financial arrangement and/or broadband use understanding you have with the roommate, and how well you get along. I'd probably lean toward cutting him off completely unless a cash appeal is made, but I think that's my Mercenary Bitch side coming out.

--------------------

Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
quote:

In our house, that kind of thing is done through the firewall (an external hardware one). Not sure if ours can actually throttle, but it can be turned completely off for certain hours, and/or certain users - The Otter Pup currently has no internet access at all, at times in the past it's only been on for him when we'd typically be home and awake (after a period of sneaking downstairs in the middle of the night, [Roll Eyes] )

Quite a few modern routers (I know most netgear ones do at least) enable you to control access times and I think (although not 100% sure) access speeds. If you do this though make sure you've changed the access password on the router so they can't get in and change the acess restrictions themselves.
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lumpy da Moose
Shipmate
# 9038

quote:
Originally posted by Pheonix:
quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
quote:

Quite a few modern routers (I know most netgear ones do at least) enable you to control access times and I think (although not 100% sure) access speeds. If you do this though make sure you've changed the access password on the router so they can't get in and change the acess restrictions themselves.
With any diabolical scheme like this, you have to hope the person you're trying to limit hasn't got more network savvy than you do. I could get away with very little at my house, since Lumpy the Lesser is the one with the Net + certification. Not that I'm an idiot (I do run our network at work), but he's smart enough to find his way around any barrier I could put in place. Even on a router, it's a simple matter of holding down the reset button and bring everything back to factory defaults.

He knows better than to mess with me, as I'll have the service shut off, no problem. [Two face]

Or worse yet, sign up for dial-up!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay I posted this on the question thread but they said I might get better answers here. To quote,

Okay I'm clearly a Google failure, so I hope I can turn to the good people here at the SOF for the answer to my question.

My beloved mouse of many months has passed away. He was an optical wireless mouse that I used with my laptop on the kitchen table. Sadly, since I purchased said mouse, the style in mice has changed, and they nearly all have a ridge running along beside the buttons on the outside. This is not clickable, and herein lies my problem. My hands are very large and the way I use a mouse is by splaying my right index finger off to the left a little, and resting it on the left edge of the mouse. But if I do that with one of these newfangled mice, it's on this unclickable ridge. I have tried to hold my hand so that it rests inside the ridge, but it's too uncomfortable.

I went to the local office supply superstore Office Max (as well as Circuit City and Radio Shack) and could not find what I wanted. Microsoft made a couple without the ridge, but they have a huge transponder that would have to sit on the desktop along with my computer, speakers, SAD light, napkin basket, not to mention leave room to eat. I want one with the cute little thing that plugs into the USB port and doesn't have a wire running to some megalithic transponder box.

So I went online, where else to go, right? I couldn't find anything near enough to what I want. There are a couple that look right, but either they're bluetooth (which I do not have on my Nixon Administration laptop), or they don't show the dongle at all, which makes me nervous that they're trying to sell me one with the monstrous transponder thing.

Who will rescue me from this body of death?!

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, printers. Previously I have been a Canon junkie. Loved them in the past, very reliable. Cheap to run. Now with the advent of chipped cartridges, my printer is a nightmare. It's less than a year old near top of the range and I'm about to dump it and never buy Canon printers again, I'm so pissed off with it. I have half a mind to complain to the ACCC (Oz consumer body) about Canon's anti-consumer practices eg. you are forced to use Canon consumables at 3x the cost of a generic, and if you use a generic, the printer becomes purposely cumbersome to dissuade you from doing that - Canon effectively block all competition and deny the consumer the ability to use the product at its peak function unless they also buy Canon ink.
[Mad]

So. About to dump $400 worth of Canon. What (copy/scanner/fax that preferably does duplex, adf, dvd printing, and direct from flash) printers are there that don't use chipped cartridges, or failing that, which ones have chipped cartridges that are known easy to reset or chip with 3rd party chips?

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
glen moranjie
Shipmate
# 7011

- Posted      Profile for glen moranjie   Email glen moranjie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone recommend a good webcam for a Vista pc, that will work doing instant messaging in web chat rooms. Thanks.
Posts: 159 | From: South London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well I've spent a pleasant evening being excited by printers. And have come to the conclusion that bubblejets, which used to be a cheap option for consumables, are just not worth the bother. I think a laser mfp will do the trick nicely [Big Grin] but where do I find one that does colour 3-in-1 *and* autoduplex. Hm.
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

My new Dell laptop running WindowsXP has arrived [Big Grin]

But the Microsoft Office 2007 pack I have got with it no longer seems to include Microsoft Office Document Imaging, which is something I regularly used with previous versions [Waterworks]

Can anyone tell me how I might go about installing this??

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Arghh. Finally found the answer. It is on the Office 2007 CD buried in a submenu and not automatically installed. Maybe the other OCR software recognition package sellers made them hide it or something.

--------------------

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

If you step on the cable carefully (the ethernet cable between the modem and the router) you can slow down the speed, in a similar way to when you step on a water hose the water pressure at the end drops. Problem is, when you take your foot off, the data that had built up around the squeezed bit can all hurtle down in one go, leaving you with a security patch, a McAfee update and the latest `must have' rendition of iTunes all in one go, before you've even responded to the first bobbing MSN messages for the day.

On the topic of inkjet printers, I've recently left the way of Epson and returned to the HP world. The Epson was one of those that didn't have a proper Mac driver, so I used the Gutenprint one, only to find that the printer took about five minutes to print a single A4 document at average quality. Agonising.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Ecu, unless you are getting speeds of > 8Mbps this won't have any effect: if you are with iinet, on their toolbox page, they have a Speed Connection manager. Which can drop you from Broadband 2/2+ to B1 speeds.

Praps you can set up a dial-up modem as the default connection (broadband plans usually have a dialup for emergencies) for all users, and keep the broadband connection password protected only for your use.

John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

Another thought - with iinet, once you dl past your quota, they cap your speed at about 64K, I'm sure it's an automated process, since out of the separate data allowances for peak and non-peak times, if you exceed only in one, you are capped only in one, then the speed goes back to normal in the other time slot. Praps you can ring them and ask for a voluntary cap to be applied between certain hours?

[ 20. November 2007, 01:11: Message edited by: Jimmy B ]

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi,

I'm new here - I just signed on today, and this is my first message here! I must be an incredible geek, because when I looked at the title of this message section, I was thrilled. I studied Koine (New Testament Greek) extensively, and I thought, "Aha! Here is a place to talk about Ancient Greek! Brilliant!" I still love it. Am I an crazy loon, or what? When you folks do open up a Koine discussion section, sign me up.

And I use a Mac G4 Powerbook, have used Apple Computers consistently, and intend never to convert. Amen.

Blessings to you all,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Erinbear

Your only problem was you were on the wrong board, try this Kergymania Thread for a discussion of John's Gospel a verse at a time. Pity my Greek class is doing Mark!

Actually discussions of the Greek text happen fairly regularly in Kergymania. So much so that the one thread that is stuck at the top is how to write things in Greek (and Hebrew) on these Bulletin boards.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eureka! I found it. Trust eBay to have old-fashioned stuff. I found my trusty old mouse and bought three (with the per-extra-item postage discount). A total of $43 for 3 meeces, which isn't much more than they wanted for one meece at Office Max.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

quote:
Originally posted by glen moranjie:
Can anyone recommend a good webcam for a Vista pc, that will work doing instant messaging in web chat rooms. Thanks.

How did you get on with webcams, glen?

A brand I've found reliable and full-featured (and not evil Micro$oft) is Logitech, and I notice all their models are Windows certified so no probs with Vista. I like the look of the Quickcam Communicate Deluxe: not too OTT in $$$ - it looks to be the replacement of the Quickcam Pro 4000 which I have, and is excellent for what you need it.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016