homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 5)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Jengie Jon,

How wonderful! Many thanks for the pointer to the other thread! I'm still finding my way here.

Clearly I misread the title of this thread - ha! I read "Greek" for "Geek" in my excitement. But it's all good in the end.

So you teach Koine? That's a beautiful thing. Thank you on behalf of all of us who love the language.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I am still just learning it but we have got passed the basics.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Me again [Hot and Hormonal] . I interrupted the download of an .exe file intended to update some software, and now I can't delete it or indeed do anything else to it - WinXP error message says it's being used. The file is recorded as having 0 octets. I've tried rebooting, to no avail. Also tried downloading the same thing again but of course it renames the existing file when it discovers there's already one there. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm, it's just annoying me. Can anybody rid me of this turbulent icon?

[ 21. November 2007, 21:02: Message edited by: Eutychus ]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Me again [Hot and Hormonal] . I interrupted the download of an .exe file intended to update some software, and now I can't delete it or indeed do anything else to it - WinXP error message says it's being used. The file is recorded as having 0 octets. I've tried rebooting, to no avail. Also tried downloading the same thing again but of course it renames the existing file when it discovers there's already one there. It doesn't seem to be doing any harm, it's just annoying me. Can anybody rid me of this turbulent icon?

Try logging in as a different user and deleting it from there. Your profile might be holding the file open.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No luck [Frown]

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sometimes you can get rid of things you "accidently acquired" by resetting the computer to an earlier date - before you (or teenage daughter) inadvertently downloaded the programme you don't want. On Microsoft XP, it's called system restore and allows you to back track to a point where the computer worked OK. It depends if it's a Microsoft programme you want to keep or not though.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychus

This is a long shot, but what if the problem is internet explorer rather than Windows, might there be a version for windows of these fixes?

If not try the old Dos delete commands. They may work where GUI fails.

Jengie

[ 22. November 2007, 20:07: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jimmy B:
Ok, printers. Previously I have been a Canon junkie. Loved them in the past, very reliable. Cheap to run. Now with the advent of chipped cartridges, my printer is a nightmare. It's less than a year old near top of the range and I'm about to dump it and never buy Canon printers again, I'm so pissed off with it. I have half a mind to complain to the ACCC (Oz consumer body) about Canon's anti-consumer practices eg. you are forced to use Canon consumables at 3x the cost of a generic, and if you use a generic, the printer becomes purposely cumbersome to dissuade you from doing that - Canon effectively block all competition and deny the consumer the ability to use the product at its peak function unless they also buy Canon ink.
[Mad]

So. About to dump $400 worth of Canon. What (copy/scanner/fax that preferably does duplex, adf, dvd printing, and direct from flash) printers are there that don't use chipped cartridges, or failing that, which ones have chipped cartridges that are known easy to reset or chip with 3rd party chips?

Sir: I know how it is. I've just bought a replacement for my old and trustworthy Canon printer S600, as it stopped printing in black, even after installing a new printhead. (I was told now by another geek that perhaps the printhead contacts needs throrough cleaning, so might try that at some time. I hate dumping old stuff which still kinda works.)

I've bought the Pixma iP5300 printer, which also only works with chipped cartridges, but as it is my second (backup) printer, I'm not using it very often.

However, and to be on the safe side, I've looked into some alternative ink systems.

One that seems quite popular in Oz can be found here: rihac.com.au. It's a so-called CISS, a continuous ink supply system. I know people in Oz using it, and who are quite satisfied by this. I might have to look into this when my current main printer, Canon iP4000 (works still without chips! Yay!), reaches its end of life...

An other alternative would be an adapter, as made by Armor (see e.g. here: Armor flash demo), who appear to be a French-based manufacturer.

Jimmy, I absolutely agree about the ACCC - by all means, go for it and complain to them! Somebody's gotta do it!!

Hope you'll find a solution, and/or a new, better machine. This OEM cartridge only policy is totally inacceptable, I find. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Jengie

Goodness, attempting that took me back. And told me how much I never knew. I remembered dir c: and got a result, but beyond that I'm lost. What would the command to delete a file on my desktop look like?

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I interrupted the download of an .exe file intended to update some software, and now I can't delete it.

Try temporarily disabling your antivirus software.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:

Jengie

Goodness, attempting that took me back. And told me how much I never knew. I remembered dir c: and got a result, but beyond that I'm lost. What would the command to delete a file on my desktop look like?
cd\
cd "documents and settings\<username>\desktop"
del <filename>

or, you could just do:

del "c:\documents and settings\<username>\desktop\<filename>"

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Have done some checking. here is help on the Del command which gives the "/f" if you want to force it to delete. If you click on MsDos link it will give you help on other commands.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Try a rescue tool like the one at http://ubcd4win.com

Once you've created the boot CD then you will be able to see your hard drive as just another disc. That should allow you to delete anything that thinks its a system file with abandon!

(other flavours are available on the inter web, including lots of linux versions)

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Custard
Shipmate
# 5402

- Posted      Profile for Custard   Author's homepage   Email Custard   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently got e-mailed some attachments (.doc files) in a hideous Mac base64 format. I ended up having to edit the files as text, remove what looked like header and footer information, then bung the text through an online base64 decoder and save the result as a .doc, then it worked.

What was the easy way?

I use Windows XP and/or Ubuntu.

--------------------
blog
Adam's likeness, Lord, efface;
Stamp thine image in its place.

Posts: 4523 | From: Snot's Place | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

Send a reply asking for the documents in .rtf format.

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
del "c:\documents and settings\<username>\desktop\<filename>"

TaDaa! Thanks. Maybe I should pay you a retainer [Big Grin] (and thanks Jengie for the DoS suggestion!)

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

Actually I think that should be DOS suggestion not DoS suggestion.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Custard.:
I recently got e-mailed some attachments (.doc files) in a hideous Mac base64 format. I ended up having to edit the files as text, remove what looked like header and footer information, then bung the text through an online base64 decoder and save the result as a .doc, then it worked.

What was the easy way?

I use Windows XP and/or Ubuntu.

Base64 isn't a Mac format - it's an internet standard used by all sane applications for attachments. Sounds like the sender's mail program didn't identify the format correctly.

On Ubuntu the easiest way to convert it is to use openssl:

$ openssl base64 -d <coded-file >output-file

You'll probably have to edit headers as you did, though.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What word processor were you using? Try a different one, possibly?

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Sounds to me like a forwarded attachment, this sometimes cause the header for the document to be further down the email than the email programme looks.

Ask them to send a fresh copy not to just forward it to you. There are things you can tweak in your emailer to allow it to recognise these but they are normally pretty well hidden.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anybody used Cloudmark to detect spam and phishing emails?

If so, is it good? reliable? easy for a relative novice to install/run?

Has anybody used any other Outlook Express-linked equivalent?

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've used Spamihilator for nearly a year now, and am highly satisfied. Link here.

It's free (!) software and can be trained, with a built-in learning filter, so it gets better with time. You can download a series of pre-defined filters or plug-ins which are a good start.

I'd say it now filters about 96% of all spam mail I get, and rising (just as they claim on their website!). - Absolutely and highly recommendable, in my opinion. It's great fun to have it intercept all those baddies.

Let us know what you decide in the end. Great to have more feedback! - Please feel free to ask for any more hints or tips re this programme, if you like.

Good luck!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
Has anybody used Cloudmark to detect spam and phishing emails?

I used to use it before they made it a paid for product!

Now I rely on Gmail's spam filtering, which is very good. I can use it with non-Gmail addresses by directing personal mail to Gmail then forwarding it from there back to my ISP inbox!

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Legodude_uk

Protector of Zebras
# 5671

- Posted      Profile for Legodude_uk   Email Legodude_uk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A slightly ancient geek appeal:

Does anyone have a dead/defunct iPAQ 3800 series that still has a good stylus lock and the stylus? My lock has given up and kindly liberated my stylus... I hope it will be happy running wild and free... Looking for replacements for both the lock and the stylus if any shippies have an ex-unit...

Thanks

LDuk

--------------------
If a man is standing in a forest speaking but there are no women around to hear him...is he still wrong?

Posts: 2619 | From: The Home of the Saints | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks Wesley J and Mr Spouse.

Wesley J - are you using any of the plug-ins?

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got vpn running on my iMac with a beta version of windows remote desktop and a citrix client so now I can work from home.

I brought it into work today and left it in IT and the guy who configured it told me that it was too bad that I left it there because now I couldn't have it back. Lots of oohs and ahs when I fired up remote desktop at maximum resolution.

Now I can work from home. I'm not sure whether that's a pro or con.

But anyway, they said I should run some kind of anti-virus software on it. Any recommendations for a Mac?

[ 27. November 2007, 23:00: Message edited by: cqg ]

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
Thanks Wesley J and Mr Spouse.

Wesley J - are you using any of the plug-ins?

Yes, I am. Actually, I've downloaded 27 (!) of them, just to be on the safe side. [Biased] It seems there are 29 filtering plug-ins currently, some of which may, for one reason or another, not download anyway. The instructions to some of them appear to be in German, as devised by geeks there; they can be downloaded safely though.

A nice feature is the DCC filter which connects to an external server (allow through firewall!); it stops e-mails sent to lots of recipients from getting through (occasionally occurs with normal automatic replies too, so regularly check the 'Training Area': this lists all messages stuck in any of the filters, and you can finally delete or save them, and even read them if you like, in safe mode).

BTW: Should you not like the software, you need to do a clean uninstall. It puts itself between your inbox and the mail server; if you just shut it down, you may not get any incoming e-mails.

All in all, a very useful thing that regularly saves my day. [Smile]

--------------------

Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
if you just shut it down, you may not get any incoming e-mails.

Sounds like an excellent idea [Biased] !

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
if you just shut it down, you may not get any incoming e-mails.

Sounds like an excellent idea [Biased] !
Are you saying you actually prefer talking to people?! [Ultra confused] [Razz]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Have any of you experienced a rather patchy service of yahoo.com and/or yahoo.co.uk e-mail accounts recently?

On a number of occasions, and on two different computers, I was denied sending messages, with an error page being shown, advising me to 'run a virus and spyware check' [Roll Eyes] and also that 'this function is unavailable' [Paranoid] , with this probably being 'only temporary'.

I tried sending messages to different people as well as to my own account, but only some of them got through.

Seems to be fine again now. - Any remarks? Thanks.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How can I get Excel to ask me if I want to "Sort anything that looks like a number as a number"?

Yesterday in Excel I was sorting and it was giving me that wonderfully helpful prompt.

Today I'm working in Excel again, on a different machine, and it's not asking me. Today's machine is Excel 2003 SP2 on Windows XP SP2. Yesterday's machine was also Windows XP, but I'm not sure of the SP, or the Excel version.

I do know how to manually work around this to get my mixed columns sorted all together as I wish. But the prompt was so much easier! How can I have it here at home in my comfy nest of down comforters on my convenient laptop?

Thanks in advance for your help.

[ 08. December 2007, 15:02: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Apart from using the isnumber() function I really don't know.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, false alarm. I just tried some experiments, and my Excel here does give the desired prompt. Just not on the data I was sorting. Even though AFAICS it's just like data that was producing the prompt yesterday. Bah.

I worked around it for this particular data by F2-ing through the short list to force it to all numbers instead of numbers-that-don't-know-they're-a-number.

Thanks for the isnumber() suggestion, Jengie Jon, I'd forgotten about that and I think I may need it to troubleshoot just what is wrong with this pesky column! I'll report back if I figure out what was wrong with it to start with.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone recommend a good, free, downloadable bit of anti-virus software? New laptop, runing Windows XP, home broadband connection available for download (currently involves taking laptop to parental abode, but that will change soon I hope!). Tend to use Firefox rather than IE.

I know about Spybot already and will probably be putting that on at the weekend, but I'd sooner have something else, preferrably with a firewall too.

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use AVG
Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used a Microsoft approved 'Easy Transfer' cable to move stuff from my nearly ancient laptop (XP home) to my new one (Vista basic or home or whatever they are - I buy the cheap ones).

No real problems except none of my original Outlook Express 'personal folders' or contents made the journey. I've got a lot of old emails I'd love to have stored in my new Outlook but I don't want to forward them all by email.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by 206:
I used a Microsoft approved 'Easy Transfer' cable to move stuff from my nearly ancient laptop (XP home) to my new one (Vista basic or home or whatever they are - I buy the cheap ones).

No real problems except none of my original Outlook Express 'personal folders' or contents made the journey. I've got a lot of old emails I'd love to have stored in my new Outlook but I don't want to forward them all by email.

Any advice very much appreciated.

On your old computer, do the following:
  • Open OE, go to tools -> options -> maintenance -> store folder -> 'Your personal message store is located in the following folder' -> ...
  • Then EITHER: copy and paste the folder address into 'run': go to 'Start' -> run -> type the name of a program folder, document or internet resource, and Windows will open it for you -> paste OE folder adress -> click ok; OE folder opens -> choose edit -> select all -> edit -> copy to folder -> choose folder of choice -> ok
  • OR: click on 'change' -> browse for folder -> highlight OR create new folder -> ok

Version two is better for permanent OE folder change, version one for one-off or regular transfer. I'm using version 1 for regular OE backups on an external drive.

Hope that helps. Instructions are for Windows XP.

An excellent free programme for regular backups BTW is SyncBack Freeware (currently V3.2.14), from 2BrightSparks. (Scroll down and choose SyncBack Freeware, not SyncBackSE - except you want to pay for some extra functions).

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Virus question.

I use the free AVG anti-virus, and Outlook 2000 for my email. Due to being careful about publishing my email address, and probably some good luck too, I am largely free of spam.

But the past couple of days I've received a couple of messages that not only are definitely 'spam' (just random words strung together to look like a sentence, to fool anti-spam software I suppose) but AVG has identified them a having a virus - it instructs me to delete them without further reading. But they appear to contain no links, or attached files, so in what way could this (seemingly plain text) email be carrying a virus?

I had to open them in order to read them (and to see the message from AVG on the bottom that says there is a virus - normally on emails it says its certified virus-free), so have I compromised my system in any way?

Spam I can live with (but of course would rather not), but spam that claims to be carrying a virus is more worrying.

So how do these things work?

The email address they used, was the one in the 'mailto' link on my personal website (see sig) - this address is not advertised anywhere else, nor given to anyone else, so I know they got it from the website - is there any action I could/should take here to prevent further reoccurrance?

--------------------
Fancy a break beside the sea in Suffolk? Visit my website

Posts: 4413 | From: Suffolk UK | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Gracious rebel:
Virus question.

I use the free AVG anti-virus, and Outlook 2000 for my email. Due to being careful about publishing my email address, and probably some good luck too, I am largely free of spam.

But the past couple of days I've received a couple of messages that not only are definitely 'spam' (just random words strung together to look like a sentence, to fool anti-spam software I suppose) but AVG has identified them a having a virus - it instructs me to delete them without further reading. But they appear to contain no links, or attached files, so in what way could this (seemingly plain text) email be carrying a virus?

I had to open them in order to read them (and to see the message from AVG on the bottom that says there is a virus - normally on emails it says its certified virus-free), so have I compromised my system in any way?

Spam I can live with (but of course would rather not), but spam that claims to be carrying a virus is more worrying.

So how do these things work?

The email address they used, was the one in the 'mailto' link on my personal website (see sig) - this address is not advertised anywhere else, nor given to anyone else, so I know they got it from the website - is there any action I could/should take here to prevent further reoccurrance?

These emails are probably Zhelatin. They don't have malicious content in themselves, but the sites they try to tell you to go to most certainly do. Hence AV programs flag them as the first stage of the infection. Delete.

To prevent any more bots picking up your address, replace the '@' in your mailto: tag with NOSPAMatNOSPAM or something. OK, humans wanting to email you will have to edit the "to" line in their Email, but that way you also avoid emails from the hard of thinking, which is no bad thing.

[ 14. December 2007, 15:07: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

- Posted      Profile for Gracious rebel     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But the strange this was Karl, there were no links in the emails, of any sites to go to. Unless AVG had stripped those out?

--------------------

Shipmate
# 76

May have. Did AVG say which virus it detected?

--------------------

Gracious rebel

Rainbow warrior
# 3523

No, that's the odd thing. Makes me wonder if it was a genuine virus or what. The thing is, I've deleted them, so can't check exactly what it said, but I did a search just now on the title of on of the emails, and it was the same one as this

(same sender as well IIRC)

[ 14. December 2007, 16:32: Message edited by: Gracious rebel ]

--------------------

Celtic Knotweed
Shipmate
# 13008

- Posted      Profile for Celtic Knotweed   Email Celtic Knotweed   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:
I use AVG

Thanks Late Paul. I'll give it a go. I've heard Good Things about AVG from a couple of other people as well. One of them was a convert from McAfee...

I can probably cope with the XP default firewall and the hardware one for now. If anyone knows of a good free one I would be interested to know of it though!

[edited to add firewall]

[ 16. December 2007, 12:17: Message edited by: Celtic Knotweed ]

--------------------
My little sister is riding 100k round London at night to raise money for cancer research donations here if you feel so inclined.

Posts: 664 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Having not been able to find the free version on their site (but I was not looking that hard) here is the Free ZoneAlarm firewall that Erin recommended yonks ago (she has moved onto something else now) and I have found very good ever since (though I have upgraded to the professional so as to be with one supplier and so pay).

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Got an iPhone question. I've had an iPod before, and you could choose whether to automatically syncronise your music, or whether to manually drag it on using iTunes.

The help says: "To add songs to your iPhone manually (instead of syncing automatically), select the "Manually manage" option in the Summary pane, and then drag songs from iTunes to your iPhone."

That's what I want to do, but the option doesn't seem to be there.

Any other iPhone users can confirm whether they have seen that checkbox?

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got a Packard Bell EasyNote running XP - how do I switch off its annoyingly loud start-up beep?

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:
I've got a Packard Bell EasyNote running XP - how do I switch off its annoyingly loud start-up beep?

It'll be in the BIOS settings somewhere. If not there, then you can't.

--------------------

Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To turn off the annoying loud start up beep, my husband took a headphone jak and stuck it in the headphone socket. No headphones, no wires, but something in the socket. Seemed to work.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Clingford:

It'll be in the BIOS settings somewhere. If not there, then you can't.
Ta. How do I get at the BIOS settings? When I interrupt the booting I can't see an option to access the settings.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

I think it's F2 on most PB machines. The boot splash screen usually has "Press F2 to enter setup" or some such.

Worth asking at the Packard Bell support forum, which is actively supported by other users.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016