homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Mr Clingford
Shipmate
# 7961

- Posted      Profile for Mr Clingford   Email Mr Clingford   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, KLB. I had a look in the settings but didn't find anything. I glimpsed at the PB forum but must spend some time trawling through.

Thanks, Jenn R. The headphones of my phone succeed in quietening the beep enormously.

--------------------
Ne'er cast a clout till May be out.

If only.

Posts: 1660 | From: A Fleeting moment | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yesterday I received two emails that were sent on June 2nd 2003.

Can anyone tell me how it is possible for this to happen - where have those two bundles of electrical impulses been for the past 4 and a half years? And would it be fairer to blame the email provider that they were sent by, or mine?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:

Can anyone tell me how it is possible for this to happen - where have those two bundles of electrical impulses been for the past 4 and a half years? And would it be fairer to blame the email provider that they were sent by, or mine?

I think someone has been fiddling with the date settings on their puter or some such; wait till you get some from the future, that can happen too...

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

Posts: 17944 | From: 528491 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, these were definitely sent in 2003 - they had photos attached, which had just been taken at the time and show a couple of children as they were in 2003.

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

They were also sent from an email account that was closed a long time ago.

--------------------

The Machine Elf

Irregular polytope
# 1622

- Posted      Profile for The Machine Elf   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What do the routing headers say?

--------------------
Elves of any kind are strange folk.

Posts: 1298 | From: the edge of the deep green sea | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

There are three received dates, all last Tuesday, which is when they arrived in my inbox - so presumably the fault has been at the sender's end. There doesn't seem to be anything else that's helpful.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's not as common as it used to be, but if a mail server was taken out of service and then reconnected to the net, the carefully stored emails in its queue can reappear much later.

Cliff Stoll tells the story of receiving an email from a colleague some years after joined the Jesuits and moved to the Vatican. It had been lurking in a decommissioned Sun box.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Carrier pigeon IP?

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1149.txt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_over_Avian_Carriers

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

- Posted      Profile for Eutychus   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eutychite has a problem with her wifi card (Intel supplied by Dell under XP). The settings panels say the card is working but not connected, but attempting to activate the card does not work, "display wifi networks" does not display any networks even though there are networks present (I keep getting the message that Windows cannot configure this connection), the "repair" function fails to work and the card does not seem to be interested in any new drivers.

The wired Ethernet connection works.

This problem may well be subsequent to a reformatting of the hard disk by other hands.

Any help most welcome!

--------------------
Let's remember that we are to build the Kingdom of God, not drive people away - pastor Frank Pomeroy

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eutychus:
Eutychite has a problem with her wifi card (Intel supplied by Dell under XP). The settings panels say the card is working but not connected, but attempting to activate the card does not work, "display wifi networks" does not display any networks even though there are networks present (I keep getting the message that Windows cannot configure this connection), the "repair" function fails to work and the card does not seem to be interested in any new drivers.

The wired Ethernet connection works.

This problem may well be subsequent to a reformatting of the hard disk by other hands.

Any help most welcome!

Got just the same problem on my evil work PC laptop. There's a button on the machine to turn the wireless on and off. Turning it off invokes the tone of a USB device being disconnected, as if a virtual wireless card is being pulled out. Turning the wireless back on with the button brings up the screen that says `Windows cannot configure this connection, etc.'. The only solution is to restart the machine and then I get the `let Windows configure this connection' message in the wireless networks page.

I think the solution lies in removing ALL possible third-party wireless configuration software and letting Windows do the job always. Easier said than done, sometimes. Why do wireless hardware manufacturers insist on peddling their own wireless network management over the one built in to Windows? Is there something they know that we don't?

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

AFAIK there is no other wireless configuration software on this machine [brick wall]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you tried getting the respective manuals or website advice from Intel (for the network card), DELL (for the laptop) or perhaps from 'Gatesosoft' re connectivity problems? (Though the latter help is normally fairly useless, in my experience.)

Alternatively, googling might help, using some keywords about your network card and/or the lappie.

I wouldn't know what else to suggest right now, especially as the configuration and more technical details are not available.

Hope you'll find a way around. Appears to be a software problem in any case. Good luck!

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my wireless router (if that's the right word) is dying.

Every now and then all of us laptoppers will lose the signal and the internet will stop working. If I go down and reboot the router thing, it will start working again. Most of the times we have the full "five bars" when we look at the signal strength on our computers, sometimes it is significantly fewer, and of course sometimes doesn't show up at all.

Do I need a new router? (Do I even have the right word for this device?)

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It could be a router and it's also called a wireless access point.

If this behavior has only started recently, maybe it is beginning to fail with intermittent faults that cause it to "hang".

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Please tell me your wireless access point permits only passworded, encrypted access and that its administrator account (perhaps called admin) is passworded with a strong password.

The fact that access slows to a crawl and then disappears, but returns upon reboot, could mean that someone has hacked their way into it and enjoys jamming it for you.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a reply to Zappa whose machine's Gatesque grotesque forced error reports are indeedtruly bothersome.

You can completely turn off sending error reports to MS.

On XP, go to 'My Computer' -> rightclick -> Properties -> Advanced -> Error Reporting -> choose 'Disable error reporting', and 'But notify me when critical errors occur' -> ok -> ok.

Et voila. [Big Grin] (For vile Vista, others may help.)

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My technique would be to record a whole side of the tape, then look for the gaps between tracks (easily spotted, little islands of no sound among the seas of sound) selecting it track by track each track using first "export selection as (wav/mp3)", then deleting that section to save confusion. Tends to work quite well

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eutychus
From the edge
# 3081

The Eutychite laptop wifi issue has evolved.

Disabling other drivers has allowed the Windows configuration to identify wifi networks in the usual way, and the computer has successfully connected to non-secured networks. Now it just won't log onto ours. I've entered the right WEP key an' all, but it just attempts to connect endlessly - so the problem now appears to be with our network and not the software.

I've had problems like this before - we run three other laptops on the same network and sometimes putting a new one on has booted the others off - and wandering round the frustrating labyrinth of XP menus associated with wireless network configuration has eventually solved the problem in the past, but I'm having no luck this time. Using the "repair connection" feature doesn't seem to work either.

Does anyone have any more suggestions or can anyone point me to somewhere I can get a coherent explanation of how to set up my wireless network any better?

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dad has a new computer (running XP). Now, even if he chooses the Turn-off option to shut-down, although it appears to turn itself off, when he moves his mouse, it wakes up again.
He has never had this problem with his old machines. The man who built/sold it to him says
quote:
this is a system built into the motherboard of new systems and it is perfectly normal
but I've never heard of this feature before (apart from hibernate/sleep mode).
The only way he (my dad) can make sure it stays off is to hold in the power button for more than 6 seconds.
Any ideas? Is this normal?
thanks
K

--------------------
Less is more ...

Choirboy
Shipmate
# 9659

- Posted      Profile for Choirboy   Email Choirboy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There are three received dates, all last Tuesday, which is when they arrived in my inbox - so presumably the fault has been at the sender's end. There doesn't seem to be anything else that's helpful.

This sort of thing happened to a friend of mine. In his case, his institution had screwed up their email system. The mail was forwarded from the initial gateway to some other machine that was meant to distribute it to his department, but for some reason, that machine was set to forward mail back to the original gateway. I think this happened when they swapped some machines around in their network. The result was a few emails from the time of the switchover were stuck in an infinite loop of forwarding.

If a similar thing has happened to you, then there is no way to tell whether it is at your ISP's end or the sender's. If this is the problem, then the fact that you have now received the email means it is fixed. And no one is going to own up to it!

Either that, or the sender had his system clock way wrong!

Posts: 2994 | From: Minneapolis, Minnesota USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by The Kat in the Hat:
My dad has a new computer (running XP). Now, even if he chooses the Turn-off option to shut-down, although it appears to turn itself off, when he moves his mouse, it wakes up again. [...] The only way he (my dad) can make sure it stays off is to hold in the power button for more than 6 seconds.
Any ideas? Is this normal?
thanks
K

Nope. Pressing the power button for more than 6 seconds is the emergency shutdown, when everything else fails. It's not exactly healthy for the machine. (But if there's no other way...)

Must be some interfering programmes there.

Have you tried pressing ctrl + alt + del at the same time, only shortly - this will bring up the task manager. From the top bar, choose 'shut down' and 'restart' and another time 'turnoff'. Does the system restart ok or freeze already there? Might be worth a try. And do 'Hibernate' and 'Stand by' work?

Also, when as you say the machine 'wakes up again', what do you see? The full desktop with all the icons? Only the wallpaper? Or a blue screen?

Will give it some thought. - If someone else knows more, please go ahead.

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
My technique would be to record a whole side of the tape, then look for the gaps between tracks (easily spotted, little islands of no sound among the seas of sound) selecting it track by track each track using first "export selection as (wav/mp3)", then deleting that section to save confusion. Tends to work quite well

I'm sorry, Alban - what's this the reply to? Was that on an earlier page? Ta for clarifying, if you like. [Smile]

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

quote:
Originally posted by Choirboy:
quote:

This sort of thing happened to a friend of mine. In his case, his institution had screwed up their email system. The mail was forwarded from the initial gateway to some other machine that was meant to distribute it to his department, but for some reason, that machine was set to forward mail back to the original gateway. I think this happened when they swapped some machines around in their network. The result was a few emails from the time of the switchover were stuck in an infinite loop of forwarding.

If a similar thing has happened to you, then there is no way to tell whether it is at your ISP's end or the sender's. If this is the problem, then the fact that you have now received the email means it is fixed. And no one is going to own up to it!

Either that, or the sender had his system clock way wrong!

Thanks Choirboy - that seems to be the most likely explanation. It was definitely not an issue with the sender's date - I've spoken to the sender, who hasn't even had that email address for some years - and the emails were sent with photos of his children attached, which were new at the time, and show them at a much younger age.

--------------------

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

- Posted      Profile for The Kat in the Hat   Email The Kat in the Hat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wesley
thanks for the reply.
As far as I can tell, what used to happen, on his old machine (and on every other pc that I have ever used!) is that when you chose the Turnoff option from the Shutdown menu, the machine did exactly that. It turned itself off and the only way to start it up again was to press the power button on the pc.
However, with this new machine, that is not what happens. it appears to have shut down, but when he moves his mouse (out of the way, so to do some paperwork for example), the computer starts up again, as if he had pressed the power button.
His computer man is saying that this is quite normal, and what he should expect. But I've never come across it before. (Well I have, but only when I chose the Sleep mode).

--------------------
Less is more ...

Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

- Posted      Profile for Triple Distilled   Email Triple Distilled   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Wesley
thanks for the reply.
As far as I can tell, what used to happen, on his old machine (and on every other pc that I have ever used!) is that when you chose the Turnoff option from the Shutdown menu, the machine did exactly that. It turned itself off and the only way to start it up again was to press the power button on the pc.
However, with this new machine, that is not what happens. it appears to have shut down, but when he moves his mouse (out of the way, so to do some paperwork for example), the computer starts up again, as if he had pressed the power button.
His computer man is saying that this is quite normal, and what he should expect. But I've never come across it before. (Well I have, but only when I chose the Sleep mode).

Hey kat is the computer starting up from scratch (eg going thru initial splash screens) if so it could be a bios setting usually called wake on mouse or similar, this funtion has been around for years but usualy was disabled as default and has sorta died a slow death.

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler
I propose an Anglican compromise. We torture her, but infinitesimally slowly, so that everyone ends up confused.(Thanks Anna B)

Posts: 299 | From: adelaide australia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

- Posted      Profile for Triple Distilled   Email Triple Distilled   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
I think my wireless router (if that's the right word) is dying.

Every now and then all of us laptoppers will lose the signal and the internet will stop working. If I go down and reboot the router thing, it will start working again. Most of the times we have the full "five bars" when we look at the signal strength on our computers, sometimes it is significantly fewer, and of course sometimes doesn't show up at all.

Do I need a new router? (Do I even have the right word for this device?)

MT its a pretty typical thing when your wireless router is on the way out for this to happen, the question is do you have a replacement in mind and are you on dsl or cable ??

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler
I propose an Anglican compromise. We torture her, but infinitesimally slowly, so that everyone ends up confused.(Thanks Anna B)

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

Butler,
yes, it is starting from scratch. The guy who built the computer did say that it was built-in. He seems to think it odd that we don't want it to happen. When queried about it, mentioning that we have never come across this particular function before, nor have any of our friends, his reply was:
quote:
With all due respect to your friends, this is a system built into the motherboard of new systems it is perfectly normal and is usually called "Wake on Lan", or "APM configuration", it may be controlled by BIOS settings but is usually left on as default so that the computer may be switched on, by say moving the mouse or just clicking one of the mouse's buttons. This is not a problem, nor is it a fault, it is exactly how these system are built, and designed to operate.
He is not, evidently, getting the message that my dad does not want this to happen! [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Less is more ...

Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

quote:
Butler,
yes, it is starting from scratch. The guy who built the computer did say that it was built-in. He seems to think it odd that we don't want it to happen. When queried about it, mentioning that we have never come across this particular function before, nor have any of our friends, his reply was:
quote:
With all due respect to your friends, this is a system built into the motherboard of new systems it is perfectly normal and is usually called "Wake on Lan", or "APM configuration", it may be controlled by BIOS settings but is usually left on as default so that the computer may be switched on, by say moving the mouse or just clicking one of the mouse's buttons. This is not a problem, nor is it a fault, it is exactly how these system are built, and designed to operate.
He is not, evidently, getting the message that my dad does not want this to happen! [Roll Eyes]
Lol there is a very good reason they make future IT techs take communication courses at uni now [Biased] .

To turn this function off is usually pretty simple it involves getting into the bios (when computer starts up it will tell you particular key to press, usually f8 or delete) then look through settings being carefull not to change anything you are unsure of, and look for a acpi function settings it will be listed there as boot on mouse or power on mouse set this to disabled and its all sweet [Big Grin] (alternatively if you get stuck pm me model and make details and i will see if i can find you exact settings)

Cheers Mark

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler

The Kat in the Hat
Shipmate
# 2557

Thanks for that. It will probably have to wait until I can get down to where he lives, though, as he is not at all computer literate. This is why I'm a bit annoyed with the other guy. He should, IMO fix this, since it clearly is a problem from my dad. [Mad]

--------------------
Less is more ...

Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

quote:
Thanks for that. It will probably have to wait until I can get down to where he lives, though, as he is not at all computer literate. This is why I'm a bit annoyed with the other guy. He should, IMO fix this, since it clearly is a problem from my dad. [Mad]

LOL the only way to get a techie to fix it is to annoy him till he sees its going to be easier to fix it than keep on putting up with your phone calls/emails [Biased]

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler

El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know if one could use the same iPod device over both an iMac and a pc that runs Windows Vista? I mean, without having to reformat the iPod to a file system recognized by Windows...

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by andreas1984:
Does anyone know if one could use the same iPod device over both an iMac and a pc that runs Windows Vista? I mean, without having to reformat the iPod to a file system recognized by Windows...

Yes, you are supposed to be able to do that.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
El Greco
Shipmate
# 9313

- Posted      Profile for El Greco   Email El Greco   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I googled the Internet for info, and what I found out is some people saying either that a)one will have to format it in FAT32 so that it can be accessed by both windows and os x, or b)that a program that let's you access os x format from windows needs to get bought. I am wondering if there was another way, but I'm being probably over optimistic.

--------------------
Ξέρω εγώ κάτι που μπορούσε, Καίσαρ, να σας σώσει.

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wesley J - just to let you know that, following your advice last November, I have finally downloaded Spamhilator. I am very reluctant to pick up freeware - even on reliable recommendations [Smile] - but a rapid increase in spam forced me to it.

It is brilliant! Simple to download and install, easy to use and effective immediately, and it does improve with its 'Training' facility.

I am very happy to agree with Wesley J's comments! Fully recommended for anyone using Outlook Express.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having a problem with the CD/DVD drive on my computer. I haven't used it for a while, and now it doesn't seem able to detect any files on any kind of disk I put in the drive - either a CD, DVD or a program disk. If go into "my computer" it shows the (E) drive exists, but it doesn't show any files on it. It always used to start to play any kind of disk automatically, but now nothing happens. When I put a disk in the slot, the green light shows briefly then goes off. Any ideas?

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
Wesley J - just to let you know that, following your advice last November, I have finally downloaded Spamhilator. I am very reluctant to pick up freeware - even on reliable recommendations [Smile] - but a rapid increase in spam forced me to it.

It is brilliant! Simple to download and install, easy to use and effective immediately, and it does improve with its 'Training' facility.

I am very happy to agree with Wesley J's comments! Fully recommended for anyone using Outlook Express.

Thank you, kind Sir! Always at your service. [Overused] [Big Grin]

(More information on the --> Spamihilator website.)

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
I'm having a problem with the CD/DVD drive on my computer. I haven't used it for a while, and now it doesn't seem able to detect any files on any kind of disk I put in the drive - either a CD, DVD or a program disk. If go into "my computer" it shows the (E) drive exists, but it doesn't show any files on it. It always used to start to play any kind of disk automatically, but now nothing happens. When I put a disk in the slot, the green light shows briefly then goes off. Any ideas?

Try this: Go to -> My Computer -> right-click E drive -> Properties -> Autoplay -> choose from options -> Ok

Perhaps this may help somewhat? If not, do get back.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:

Try this: Go to -> My Computer -> right-click E drive -> Properties -> Autoplay -> choose from options -> Ok

No, that doesn't work!

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Thought so. Perhaps update the drivers? - I hope others can help you out. [Smile]

--------------------

iGeek

Number of the Feast
# 777

- Posted      Profile for iGeek   Author's homepage   Email iGeek   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Looking for recommendations.

I have a trusty HP color inkjet printer (710C or something like that).

You may recall that I went over to the Mac-side last summer.

I'm thinking of buying a wireless print server appliance and hook up the deskjet to it.

Anybody have any experience with these and whether Macs have any issues spooling to such? I'd obviously need a parallel port on the appliance since that's what the venerable printer connects with.

Posts: 2150 | From: West End, Gulfopolis | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

quote:
quote:
quote:

No, that doesn't work!
Most likely is the drive has simply died. what type of computer is it and is it currently a dvd burner in it ? it quite a simple and cheap tast to replace a drive (on most computers) and if you get back with these details will be able to give you instructions on replacing it [Smile]

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler

Triple Distilled
Shipmate
# 11157

quote:
Originally posted by cqg:
Looking for recommendations.

I have a trusty HP color inkjet printer (710C or something like that).

You may recall that I went over to the Mac-side last summer.

I'm thinking of buying a wireless print server appliance and hook up the deskjet to it.

Anybody have any experience with these and whether Macs have any issues spooling to such? I'd obviously need a parallel port on the appliance since that's what the venerable printer connects with.

The easiest way and probably cheapest is to ditch the printer and get one with the usb option or one that already has a network card installed in it. brother make 2 good options, if you are happy with just black and white go for a brother hl-2700 (network laser) currently here they are only about $135 au or if you want colour a brother any model number mfn as long as it has the cn at the end of product model (this refers to networkable) and both of these work very well from mac or pc without having to have isssues with setting up seperate print servers or so forth.

--------------------
Formerly known as Butler

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

A question to Firefox and printing.

I've found that Firefox offers only limited tweaks for printing webpages. Although you can choose 'Date/Time' in six different positions on the page to print, and there is a custom option available, it seems you cannot print the actual date only, WITHOUT the time.

As I often use printouts in my job, I believe it is nobody's business to know at what time a document was printed, though I don't mind about the date as such.

Can I get Firefox to print just the 'Date' without the time? And while we're at it: Can I get it to print 'Page 1 of 2' and not just '1 of 2'. IE used to do all this and i quite liked it.

Thanks.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wesley, this page looks like it might be helpful.

It seems to depend on which platform you're on - I don't have a "Custom" option on my Mac. I'll continue to poke around.

b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
John Donne

Renaissance Man
# 220

- Posted      Profile for John Donne     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wesley J, I meant to thank you for that great advice on the printer. You always have solid things to say. [Overused] I have not used the supplier of the CISS you recommended yet (still persevering until the current crop of consumables is depleted), but I am almost certainly going to move to it - or at least buy my ink in bulk from them (so cheap!)

Cheers!

Posts: 13667 | From: Perth, W.A. | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
sheba

ship's border collie
# 10654

- Posted      Profile for sheba   Author's homepage   Email sheba   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've got Linux on my laptop. It makes me feel superior to other dogs. [Cool]

--------------------
Spiders are a little people, but they live in Kings' palaces.
Am Yisrael Chai! עַם יִשְׂרָאֵל חַי

Posts: 69 | From: hampshire, england | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

quote:
Originally posted by butler:
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, that doesn't work!
Most likely is the drive has simply died. what type of computer is it and is it currently a dvd burner in it ? it quite a simple and cheap tast to replace a drive (on most computers) and if you get back with these details will be able to give you instructions on replacing it [Smile]
It's a Dell Dimension 3100C - I've only had it just over a year! The drive is a CD/DVD burner - Philips DVD+-RW DVD8801.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I hope one of y'all can help me with this. I have the software (on CD) and the USB cable to download data from my glucometer. I installed the program, but when I clicked the icon to start it, I got an error message saying that I needed MSXML 4.0 before it would work.

I went to the Micro$oft website, found MSXML 4.0 and tried to download it, but it failed each time.

Any ideas why? What can I do to make this work?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've got a student staying with us and we're trying to get her Vista laptop onto our wireless network. It's a Linksys router and I've updated the MAC address information in the router's setup pages.

Her laptop can't see out network. I've tried various combinations of turning off security, toggling the SSID broadcast, disabling the MAC filter, resetting routers, components, computers, etc., to no avail. I'm not Vista savvy, but I have a work laptop running XP which seems fine on the wireless.

Anything really obvious that I'm missing?

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016