homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I seem to be getting spam from my own forged e-mail address, of course with a totally false name, but with my address.

Currently I don't seem to be able to catch these in a spamfilter (Spamihilator), as I'd be blocking my own e-mail address.

I'll be trying to tweak the spamfilter, and will report back - in the meantime, do any of you have any suggestions on how to solve this?

Thank you.

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pheonix

Twisted fire starter
# 2782

- Posted      Profile for Pheonix   Email Pheonix   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds like some spammer is doing a joe-job on you. Spoofing your domain name on spam they're sending out. Catching that is pretty difficult. If its failed delivery reports you're getting then you can see if you can filter on null sender to get rid of them.
Posts: 2384 | From: on the move. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks, Phoenix.

I don't think it's a classic joe-job, as that would involve sending out spam with my forged address to others. This I think has not (yet) happened. Though this strategy is new to my account, my ISP actually is already adding a Kapersky 'spam' tag to the message header, so they're obviously on top of this. If I activated my ISP's spamfilter, I guess the problem wouldn't be visible.

It's only one or two messages very occasionally. As I'm a bit on the geeky side, I'm trying to find a way of chucking those messages into the bin right away. I'd like to make my spamfilter react to the obvious contradiction between my addy and the person purportedly sending it, which at the moment appears as different fake names.

I'll contact my ISP in any case I guess. I could always activate their filter, if necessary. Hmm...

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Quick update to the spam problem above - receiving spam from your own address, but with a forged name.

Problem solved! Yay! [Big Grin]

I've found yet another tweak in 'Spamihilator', by using its 'signature' filter: mails from my own account are now only accepted if they contain a particular signature, ie. a clearly defined text of certain letters, numbers and gaps which spammers won't know. (Plus you can always adapt this later.)

Another victory for spamhaters. Huzzah! [Cool]

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a four year old PC and she's getting a bit on the annoyingly sluggish side. How can I perk her up? I've cleared temporary files, I defragment from time to time. But it's starting to sound like the processor actually contains cogs. Time for an upgrade? Of what bit?
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Check the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run key in the registry. Probably contains loads of crud you don't actually need starting every time you log in.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Where would I find that? My Computer? My Documents?
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
Where would I find that? My Computer? My Documents?

Regedit. Start --> Run --> Regedit --> OK

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Aha! Found it. Thanks.

There doesn't seem to be *that* much stuff in there though. And certainly not anything I feel confident about deleting. [Frown]

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

If I delete stuff from there will it remove it from the computer, or just prevent it from running every time I start up?
Shipmate
# 76

It will stop it from running at log in. Post a list of what's in there and I'll tell you what you can delete.

--------------------

catholicedinburgh
Apprentice
# 12668

- Posted      Profile for catholicedinburgh   Email catholicedinburgh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello

I wonder if anyone can help.

I have an old, old Toshiba laptop running Window98 that I don't need. I want to remove Windows and put Ubuntu onto it instead. What I can't work out is how to persuade the machine to boot from a cd - I have a plugin cd reader for it.

I have tried pressing F1 through to F12 and combinations thereof to no avail.
[brick wall]
Any ideas?

Posts: 22 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by catholicedinburgh:
Hello

I have an old, old Toshiba laptop running Window98 that I don't need. I want to remove Windows and put Ubuntu onto it instead. What I can't work out is how to persuade the machine to boot from a cd - I have a plugin cd reader for it.

[brick wall]
Any ideas?

It may simply be too old.

Is "CD" listed in the boot options in Setup (unfortunately I can't tell you where to find that as every CMOS setup is different. Look for "boot options" or similar.) If it's not listed then it might not be able to boot from CD. But I have to tell you that a W98 era laptop is unlikely to run Ubuntu tolerably. I put it on an old XP laptop and whilst a little faster than XP on the same machine, there wasn't much in it.

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

(Default)
AlcxMonitor
ccApp
My printer's drive
Gearbox
HotKeysCmds
hpsysdrv
IgfxTray
IMJPMIG8.1
KBD
MSPY2002
NvCplDaemon
nwiz
osCheck
PHIME2002A
PHIME2002ASync
PS2
QuickTime Task
Recguard
SsAdd.exe.
TkBellExe
VTTimer
Windows Defender

Phew! I feel very exposed!

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
(Default)
AlcxMonitor
ccApp
My printer's drive
Gearbox
HotKeysCmds
hpsysdrv
IgfxTray
IMJPMIG8.1
KBD
MSPY2002
NvCplDaemon
nwiz
osCheck
PHIME2002A
PHIME2002ASync
PS2
QuickTime Task
Recguard
SsAdd.exe.
TkBellExe
VTTimer
Windows Defender

Phew! I feel very exposed!

Yeek! Loads of stuff there.

Those are the names of the values - what are each of them set to (on the right hand side of the right hand pane)? This gives the name of the actual file run.

I'll go through the ones which are clear:

AlcxMonitor - part of the RealTek sound software. Considered spyware by some; consider getting rid.
ccApp - part of Norton Anti-Virus. I find Norton a resource hog and would consider replacing it with something else
My printer's drive
Gearbox - may be spyware. Do you know what this is meant to be?
HotKeysCmds - Installs Intel Hot Keys for their graphics chip.
hpsysdrv - part of the print
IgfxTray - more graphics stuff
IMJPMIG8.1 - part of MS office
KBD - need to know the .exe file being run
MSPY2002 - Used for entering chinese and Japanese characters into IE. Up to you [Biased]
NvCplDaemon - NVidia graphics module. Are you using an Intel or NVidia graphics card?
nwiz - more NVidia
osCheck - part of Norton
PHIME2002A - MS Language Support
PHIME2002ASync - a/a/
PS2 - need to know the .exe file
QuickTime Task - Ugh. Delete any Quicktime stuff which runs on boot.
Recguard - important. Prevents you from mucking around with the recovery partition.
SsAdd.exe - can't find this one. Can you tell me where SsAdd.exe is launched from on your PC? Do a search for it to find the file. This may give us a clue.
TkBellExe - Part of RealPlayer, another App from Hell like QuickTime.
VTTimer - user by VIA graphics hardware
Windows Defender - Anti spyware programme.

So the other question would be what graphics chip you are actually using.

[ 11. February 2008, 19:47: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

quote:
ccApp - part of Norton Anti-Virus. I find Norton a resource hog and would consider replacing it with something else
Such as?
quote:
Gearbox - may be spyware. Do you know what this is meant to be?
'Gearbox Connection Kit\bin\confsvr'

quote:
KBD - need to know the .exe file being run
HP\KBD\KBD.exe

quote:
PS2 - need to know the .exe file
system32\ps2.exe

quote:
SsAdd.exe - can't find this one. Can you tell me where SsAdd.exe is launched from on your PC? Do a search for it to find the file. This may give us a clue.
Ah, that's for my mp3 player

quote:
So the other question would be what graphics chip you are actually using.
No idea!

Erm, I presume posting all these file extensions on the net isn't going to make me prone to hacking in some way?! [Ultra confused]

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

I have an 'Intel Graphics Controller'? Is that the thing?
Shipmate
# 76

No. It won't.

Gearbox Connection Kit may be used to set up your connection to your ISP.

To find out what graphics chip you are using, right click "My Computer", choose "Properties", "Hardware", "Device Manager" and expand Display Adapters. You will probably find the software for the others in Add/Remove programs. So if you've got an Intel chip, remove any references to NVidia and VIA from there.

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Thank you, Karl, that's been really really helpful. [Smile]
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I have an 'Intel Graphics Controller'? Is that the thing?

Yes. Check "Add/Remove programs" for any Via or NVidia references and remove them. But to be honest, your run list looks like it's mostly valid stuff. I'd consider getting rid of the RealPlayer and QuickTime stuff if you can. It's a bit of a hog.

When your computer is slow, is there lots of disk activity? If so, then it's RAM and the PC is making excessive use of virtual memory. To find which processes are using the most memory, hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and choose Task Manager. Click "Processes" and "Memory" to order by which processes are using the most RAM. This may give you a clue what's slowing the PC down.

If the disk isn't thrashing, it's probably processor. Do as above, but click CPU to order by CPU usage. This will, again, tell you which processes keep on hogging the cycles.

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

I do keep getting warning messages about Virtual Memory being low, and Windows attempting to create more of it.

Next time it's being creaky, I'll try what you suggest. It's being suspiciously quiet as I sit here at the moment. I think it knows I'm on to it!

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
I do keep getting warning messages about Virtual Memory being low, and Windows attempting to create more of it.

Your Swap File is probably fragmented. There is a cure for this, but it's not for the faint-hearted.

1. Set size to zero. Reboot
2. Defragment.
3. Set size back to auto
3. Reboot again.

More RAM would be no bad thing though.

[ 11. February 2008, 20:20: Message edited by: Karl: Liberal Backslider ]

--------------------

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

That does sound a bit scary. And I'm not sure I understood!

How would one go about getting more RAM?

Sorry for all the questions! Feel free to stop answering if it's getting annoying. [Smile]

Shipmate
# 76

quote:
That does sound a bit scary. And I'm not sure I understood!

How would one go about getting more RAM?

Sorry for all the questions! Feel free to stop answering if it's getting annoying. [Smile]

Getting more RAM depends on a number of things. How old the computer is is a start. How much RAM it's already got, and what it's got in the way of spare slots. If it's a laptop it's often a particular pain. Best thing might be to go to Crucial's website and let it scan the system and give you options, but it's not 100% reliable.

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
On the "how to get more ram" question, I have an old PC I am trying to set up with Ubuntu, the ram inside does not seem to have any name on it. I know my current computer has DDR Ram as it says so on the Ram, but what could the nameless stuff in the other computer be, and how would I find this out?

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Alban:
On the "how to get more ram" question, I have an old PC I am trying to set up with Ubuntu, the ram inside does not seem to have any name on it. I know my current computer has DDR Ram as it says so on the Ram, but what could the nameless stuff in the other computer be, and how would I find this out?

Run a scanner of some kind. Not really my area, but the existing RAM could be anything. But again, remember what I said earlier about Ubuntu - it's not the Great OS Which Runs On Really Old Kit Much Faster Than Windows Would - Linux runs very fast when you don't have the GUI, but Ubuntu is designed to be used with its GUI, which puts similar demands on it as any other GUI does, and is actually quite tricky to get to run GUI-less. You don't do it simply by setting RunLevel to 3, that's for sure.

Ubuntu, to run well, needs hardware of the same sort of calibre you'd need for a decent Windows XP machine. It ran as slowly as XP did on my 256MB 3GHz laptop.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My laptop was set up for the LAN at my old office. I'm not there anymore, and I have tried to remove the network connection. The My Network Places window is empty, but occasionally (not every time) I'll get an "unable to reconnect all your network drives" message on boot. The LAN is still in the Connections window, disabled, but delete is grayed out when I right click. It's not really a problem, but it is a minor annoyance. Suggestions?

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shipmate
# 76

quote:
Originally posted by Timothy the Obscure:
My laptop was set up for the LAN at my old office. I'm not there anymore, and I have tried to remove the network connection. The My Network Places window is empty, but occasionally (not every time) I'll get an "unable to reconnect all your network drives" message on boot. The LAN is still in the Connections window, disabled, but delete is grayed out when I right click. It's not really a problem, but it is a minor annoyance. Suggestions?

The problem is not the LAN, but the remembered connections. Try running this in a command prompt:

net use * /delete

--------------------

Alban
Shipmate
# 9047

- Posted      Profile for Alban   Email Alban   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the "Could not connect to one of your network drives". You could go Karl's way, or, alternatively (if you're a bear of little brain like myself), you could go to 'My Computer', and find anything that isn't actually attached to your computer (it seems to have a T shaped pipeline coming out of the bottom of it), right click that and choose disconnect. That may work.

--------------------
Whoever you are, wherever you go, Hophtrig is your friend!

Posts: 722 | From: Under a (long white) cloud | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
catholicedinburgh
Apprentice
# 12668

- Posted      Profile for catholicedinburgh   Email catholicedinburgh   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Hello

[brick wall]
Any ideas?

Is "CD" listed in the boot options in Setup (unfortunately I can't tell you where to find that as every CMOS setup is different. Look for "boot options" or similar.) If it's not listed then it might not be able to boot from CD. But I have to tell you that a W98 era laptop is unlikely to run Ubuntu tolerably. I put it on an old XP laptop and whilst a little faster than XP on the same machine, there wasn't much in it.

As I feared. Oh well it owes me no favours and should probably be allowed to rest in peace.

Thanks

Posts: 22 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alban:

What Karl said. I'll add that if it's an old machine, it would probably be wise to try running Xubuntu, which uses the Xfce GUI rather than the standard Gnome one (or just install Xfce once you've got Ubuntu up and running). I find it's a bit faster than Gnome on older machines.

DS (proudly running ubuntu atm)

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Greetings! [Smile]

I want to build a cheap computer, for a back up and am thinking of buying this AMD Starter Bundle (scroll down a bit)

It includes these:

Contains:
1x AMD SEMPRON LE-1100 AM2 1.9GHZ 256KB RETAIL
1x ECS 6100SM-S2 uATX,VGA,DDR2,PCI-X,SATA2,RAID
1x PM BARON "DELIGHT" BLACK ATX CASE 400W PSU
2x 1GB 667 DDR2 PC5300 DIMM MEMORY ELIXIR

The question I have is apart from what I mention below, what else do I need to buy?

I have a spare monitor, and IDE hard drive and a couple of keyboards and mice and I have bought these type of bundles before in the past.

With some help have managed to get them to work - but technology has moved on a bit since last time I bought one, so does it need a different kind of hard drive (SATA/RAID?) or will the IDE version work?

I have no experience at all with the other kind and was hoping not to have to buy them just yet.

Also, is the graphics card and CPU adequate for playing some basic games. It is mainly intended for a homework computer, but some gaming will be done on it I am sure. It is for a gift.

I know I could ring the shop and find out but it would be nice to be able to just order it and avoid the sales pitch, in the knowledge that I know what I want/need.

[ 15. February 2008, 12:08: Message edited by: Lady Alicia of Scouseland ]

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Posts: 884 | From: Where the Art is. | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Buy a new SATA drive. Don't try to make an old drive last in a new machine. Old drives will fail and disappoint you.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

- Posted      Profile for Alicïa   Email Alicïa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Buy a new SATA drive. Don't try to make an old drive last in a new machine. Old drives will fail and disappoint you.

Are they as easy to fit as IDE ones?

--------------------
"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world." Georgia Elma Harkness

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
quote:
Hello

[brick wall]
Any ideas?

As I feared. Oh well it owes me no favours and should probably be allowed to rest in peace.

Thanks

How big is the hard drive? If it is a worthwhile size, you can always cannibalise it, put it in an external housing, wipe it and use it for backup.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dinghy Sailor

Ship's Jibsheet
# 8507

- Posted      Profile for Dinghy Sailor     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Alicia of Scouseland:
quote:

Yep. They just have a different form of connector.

--------------------
Preach Christ, because this old humanity has used up all hopes and expectations, but in Christ hope lives and remains.
Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Alicïa
Shipmate
# 7668

quote:
Originally posted by Dinghy Sailor:
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Alicia of Scouseland:
quote:

Yep. They just have a different form of connector.
thanks both of you! [Smile]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am running XP. I want a utility that will allow me to remap keys on my keyboard to add some extended ascii characters in easy reach, without having to change to a bizarre foreign keyboard as offered by MS. I found some programs online but they all want me to be have .NET 2.0.50727. What is it? Is it safe? Will it slow my computer down or cause my children to have children with six legs? Where does one find it? Why does Microsoft have to make this sort of thing so bleeding difficult?

Thanks. I feel better now. Anybody? Please?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Also while I'm asking, is there an affordable mp3 player that truly has removable media? My googling has found players that can be used AS removable media, but not ones that use removable media (e.g. flashcard) as their storage rather than onboard memory. Can anybody steer me in the right direction?

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief

In answer to question about .net, that appears to be an update on Microsoft .Net Framework, whatever that is, but I know I have ended up with it on at least one of my machines, I think for getting at fancy databases. However on checking on the Microsoft site it appears not to be suitable for XP (or they forgot to list it) and you perhaps should look at .Net 3.5 .

However I would hope someone who knew more about OS than I do would come along and say something.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

SanDisk have got mp3 (and video) players with removable storage, e.g. the Sansa e260, which I've got.

Fantastic machine, with microSD slot. All in all, you may have e.g. a 4GB flash drive with an extra 2GB on the microSD card.

There may be newer models available, but I can wholeheartedly recommend the Sansa players. They also play videos, after transformation by the software you receive with the player. The latest models may have even more storage space.

Hope you'll find one you like!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Do you have to transfer the music from the microSD to the internal memory, or can you play directly from the microSD?

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

The microSD card is effectively additional storage space and is recognised as such by the player. It seems you can only put audio files on the card, not videos, but then you'll have plenty of space for that on the proper flash drive. The card shows up on the display by a little icon next to the song title.

However, all this also depends on which transfer mode you choose, as you can in fact use the player and the extra card as a data storage facility, just like any USB memory stick. Data will not be recognised by the player, i.e. can't be listened to or watched. However, you can have both data and music/image/video files on the drive at the same time, but of course will only be able to access the audiovisual ones on the road - the others will show up once it's plugged into a USD port.

Sansa, BTW, use a specific USB connection cable of their own making, so if you want to connect to any USB port, you always need to carry that around with you - though I've never found this to be a problem.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Well I haven't purchased an mp3 player yet, but I did find a program to allow me to create extended ascii characters on the fly without loading some crazy foreign keyboard layout. I haven't even scratched the surface; what I am using it for right now is just a tiny fraction of all it can do. Looking forward to putting it through its paces as soon as I figure out how!

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Anyone out there using Mozilla Thunderbird as an e-mail client?

I've downloaded it and am currently looking through its functionality, and would be glad for your comments. I've had MS OE so far.

Thank you. [Smile]

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used Thunderbird at home before getting my Mac and lazily switching over to the native Mac mail program. I was quite happy with the state of Thunderbird about three years ago, I assume it's still good today.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I use Thunderbird at work. Very easy to get the hang of.

Its also a bit more heavy-duty than Outlook, I can use it in a wider variety of circumstances. Such as wanting to access five mail servers simultaneously. And I like being able to store mail in easily readable flat files, and being able to modify the configuration and profile by hand.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Lovely. Thanks muchly. Guess I'll give it a try then!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

It's very amusing to read "I use Thunderbird here" and "I use Thunderbird there" -- in these parts Thunderbird is the name of a rotgut wine popular with street alcoholics.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

Okay, Here's my Question:

I have a nice little jump drive thingee that attaches to my key ring, and which I use to keep vital personal information and other stuff on. I got some wonderful encrypting software that keeps it locked up until you plug it in and fire off the "unlock.exe" and type in your password. Then you can use it just like any other drive. When you unplug it, it automagically goes back to being locked and scrambled.

SOOOO, here's my question:

Can I set it up in such a way that when I plug it in, it will "autorun" the unlock.exe program? Can you set up a jump drive to autorun something when you plug it in? My computer already recognizes it and assigns it the same drive letter and share name every time. I don't care if it only does it on my machine; I don't use it elsewhere very often.

THANKS!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016