homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread (Page 9)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  33  34  35 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HEAVEN: Ancient Geek - the computer thread
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Anyone out there using Mozilla Thunderbird as an e-mail client?

I've downloaded it and am currently looking through its functionality, and would be glad for your comments. I've had MS OE so far.

Thank you. [Smile]

Yes and happy with it. Threatened to put it on my fathers machine, when he was having problems with Junk Mail. I even have got automatic signatures on my work copy and have not found anything Pegasus Mail used to do that it can't do. It is the standard email client at work.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lovely! Thanks, Jengie Jon! [Smile]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last post on previous page, for better visibility here again:

quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
Okay, Here's my Question:

I have a nice little jump drive thingee that attaches to my key ring, and which I use to keep vital personal information and other stuff on. I got some wonderful encrypting software that keeps it locked up until you plug it in and fire off the "unlock.exe" and type in your password. Then you can use it just like any other drive. When you unplug it, it automagically goes back to being locked and scrambled.

SOOOO, here's my question:

Can I set it up in such a way that when I plug it in, it will "autorun" the unlock.exe program? Can you set up a jump drive to autorun something when you plug it in? My computer already recognizes it and assigns it the same drive letter and share name every time. I don't care if it only does it on my machine; I don't use it elsewhere very often.

THANKS!

Any takers? (Meanwhile, I'm still thinking... hmm...)

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Can I set it up in such a way that when I plug it in, it will "autorun" the unlock.exe program? Can you set up a jump drive to autorun something when you plug it in? My computer already recognizes it and assigns it the same drive letter and share name every time. I don't care if it only does it on my machine; I don't use it elsewhere very often.

Google is your friend. The first result in my search was this one, from lifehacker.com. Looks like just what you need. I've found lifehacker reliable in past.

b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
Google is your friend. The first result in my search was this one, from lifehacker.com. Looks like just what you need. I've found lifehacker reliable in past.

Googling isn't my strong suit. I did everything the lesson suggested (multiple times) but it still doesn't work. When I plug in the zip drive it asks me what I want to do, open folder or do nothing, whereas it usually automatically opens the folder (when I go into properties, that's the option I have checked). Could my puter have the "autoplay" function turned off? If so, how do I turn it back on?

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, I've sussed it. [Hot and Hormonal]

Sadly it brings up the same menu as mentioned, just with an extra thing ("Launch Portable Workspace" ) as an additional option. (The "always do the selected option" is greyed out.) In other words, it doesn't really launch. It is just as easy to doubleclick the unlock.exe icon as to work through this thingum. Net gain is nil.

Why can you set it up to always play a music CD without asking, but not run a program without asking? Is this just another one of those "I hate hate hate hate hate Microsoft" things?

Sigh. The search goes on.

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's lots of stuff out there, Mousethief.

I searched on 'windows thumb.drive autorun.inf' and
got many hits. Maybe one of them will do the job for you.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Embarrassingly, although I am an IT geek, I need assistance for my home network! Yes I can virtualise a server but can't workout wireless at home!

At the moment we have cable internet access through the freebee modem pugged in to a PC. That's it. Nothing else. We want to move rooms around, and need to move the computer downstairs, and it is impractical to run a wire so I guess wireless is the way to go. We've also been given an old Netgear music streamer which we want to plug in to our Hifi - compatible with 802.11b and g. My husband likes to stream tele on the computer (particularly Scotland football games when he is supposed to be lesson planning!) and we use video skype to speak to my parents in Japan.

The question is this. What speed of router do we need to buy? Do we need to go for a 108 jobbie?? or will 54 do? We've got a small-ish modern-ish semi - do we need something with extra strength or will bog standard do? Should be aim for Netgear or are the other makes as good? What about refurbished ones on ebay?? And to connect up the PC, PCI card or USB key??

We have been given 2 Netgear powerline adapters, but they are the slowest ones and apparently not fast enough for TV (14 something he said I think - but they are at home and I am at work.)

Sorry for being such a useless Techy [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
life is purple

Posts: 376 | From: Swindon, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
There's lots of stuff out there, Mousethief.

I searched on 'windows thumb.drive autorun.inf' and
got many hits. Maybe one of them will do the job for you.

Thanks! I got one bit of freeware that installs as a service in win xp, and in train with a small text file on the thumb drive, starts the unlock program right up. It also opens a browser (that's good) which sometimes lays over the unlock input box (that's bad because you can't alt-tab to the unlock input box). But nothing's perfect.

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just pressed the wrong combination of keys (I was aiming for a capital l) in Word, and changed the screen layout of the document so that rather than showing full pages, it now misses out the empty lines, showing just what is on each page, followed by a line and the next page.

I have looked for a way of undoing this, but can't find one. Does anyone know what I pressed, how to undo it, or where to look for the answer?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think is under view menu but Microsoft change it with every version as far as I can tell so I am not going to even try and tell you which is correct! Yes I have just checked and my version is labelled differently to what I recall so I really don't like guessing.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
MiceElf

Not your average mouse
# 4389

- Posted      Profile for MiceElf   Email MiceElf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank goodness for this thread. Could it beTHIS that is the cause of my slow pute... comments welcome but may take me some time to acknowledge.

--------------------
What do we want.... Cure for Obesity
When do we want it.... After Dessert.

Posts: 1032 | From: OILOVWOIGHT | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
I think is under view menu but Microsoft change it with every version as far as I can tell so I am not going to even try and tell you which is correct! Yes I have just checked and my version is labelled differently to what I recall so I really don't like guessing.

Jengie

I've fiddled with everything under the view menu, and got nowhere. [Frown]

I'd like to know how to toggle this on and off, because it is quite useful - just not at the moment, when I need to see the proper layout!

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

This is going to sound really silly and I am sorry if it really is too basic. Have you have got the full menu visible, not just the frequently used items showing. Microsoft by default shows only the frequently used items on a menu. If you only have the frequently used items showing then you will see a double down arrow on the menu. You should also see the menu expand if you keep holding your mouse over it and not clicking. What you sound to be in is "Normal" and what you want is "Print layout".

The other option is that you somehow have got into print preview (actually an easier too hit combination of keys) in which case all you need to do is to close it but that does not match your description of what is going on.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Drifting Star: I have OpenOffice.org 2.0, so not exactly MS, but I imagine the layout may be similar.

Try perhaps something like 'view' and go to something like 'print layout' vs. 'web layout'. You might have chosen the latter.

I've attempted to find my way through MS Office FAQs, but once more MS's rather unhelpful there. Yet, you should be able to get some help there, namely re keyboard shortcuts.

For Word 2003, you can print out the available shortcuts (one if which you've used inadvertently) by doing this (from above website):

quote:
1. On the Tools menu, point to Macro, and then click Macros.
2. In the Macros in box, click Word commands.
3. In the Macro name box, click ListCommands.
4. Click Run.
5. In the List Commands dialog box, click Current menu and keyboard settings.
6. Click OK.
7. On the File menu, click Print.

That might help. Hope it works!

[ETA: x-posted with Jengie Jon [Smile] ]

[ 05. March 2008, 10:49: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Thanks Jengie - but I was in print layout.

I have just sorted it out (Google is my bestest friend).

While in print layout you have to go to the tools menu, then options. In the print and web layout options there is a setting 'white space between pages', where the box need to be ticked. No idea what it was that I pressed in the first place that removed the tick though.

[ETA Cross-posted with Wesley J - thanks!]

[ 05. March 2008, 10:52: Message edited by: Drifting Star ]

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

That's great Wesley - I can't find the shortcut that I used, but I have found one to make instant footnotes that is going to be really, really useful! [Big Grin]

--------------------

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

Pleasure! [Big Grin]

And I've finally just printed out the OpenOffice.org shortcuts for myself here - high time, this! - and have upgraded to the latest version, 2.3.1.

Highly recommendable, stable and free: OpenOffice.org. [Cool]

--------------------

Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

- Posted      Profile for Nats   Author's homepage   Email Nats   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
Embarrassingly, although I am an IT geek, I need assistance for my home network! Yes I can virtualise a server but can't workout wireless at home!

At the moment we have cable internet access through the freebee modem pugged in to a PC. That's it. Nothing else. We want to move rooms around, and need to move the computer downstairs, and it is impractical to run a wire so I guess wireless is the way to go. We've also been given an old Netgear music streamer which we want to plug in to our Hifi - compatible with 802.11b and g. My husband likes to stream tele on the computer (particularly Scotland football games when he is supposed to be lesson planning!) and we use video skype to speak to my parents in Japan.

The question is this. What speed of router do we need to buy? Do we need to go for a 108 jobbie?? or will 54 do? We've got a small-ish modern-ish semi - do we need something with extra strength or will bog standard do? Should be aim for Netgear or are the other makes as good? What about refurbished ones on ebay?? And to connect up the PC, PCI card or USB key??

We have been given 2 Netgear powerline adapters, but they are the slowest ones and apparently not fast enough for TV (14 something he said I think - but they are at home and I am at work.)

Sorry for being such a useless Techy [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]

Can any one help? I'd like to get something ordered soon.... [Help]

--------------------
life is purple

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
54g should be plenty for internet. Much faster than most people's broadband. You probably only need faster if you want to transfer large files between machines around the house.

We've got a Linksys wireless router that seems to work ok, with good range around our two-storey semi. Get one with a 4-port ethernet switch on the back. Even better, get one with a USB port so you can connect a printer that everyone can share.
With ours we set up the cable modem from a laptop connected directly, then cloned the laptop's MAC address to the wireless router before plugging that in to the cable modem.

IME, regarding connecting up the computers, USB hardware seems to work well for a desktop, and no opening of the case is required. Be aware that most wireless connectivity hardware comes with its own drivers - it's probably best to disregard this and let Windows (if it's a PC) sort out its own driver. We had a USB 54g adapter and installed the bundled software, only to have it continually dropping out. Uninstalling the proprietary driver and letting Windows manage the `driving' did the trick.

I haven't used powerline network hardware but have heard that you don't get much faster than 10Mbps, so perhaps 14Mbps is the upper speed possible with this technology.

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

Does anyone else stream TV over a wireless link? And does it work well? What about video calls??

Thanks!

--------------------
life is purple

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nats:
Does anyone else stream TV over a wireless link?

Yes. I have a linux box running MythTV , a 54g wireless router and a laptop running Linux and a MythTV client.

Which I'm guessing is not what you're considering setting up. So my answers will give you an idea about what's possible, but I'm not doing exactly what you want.

quote:
And does it work well?

Very. If I want to play TV upstairs on my laptop (the main Myth machine is downstairs) there's a 2-3 second delay before starting (I guess it's buffering) but once it does it plays smoothly. If I fastforward or rewind there can also be a small buffering delay.

Myth has its own protocol for streaming and I'm not sure to what extent it's been optimized, however I have noticed that if I simply play a file on a shared drive (using NFS) then I get the occasional stutter.

This is all based on Standard Definition picture quality, I've been told that HD would probably be too much for my network.

Of course I'm streaming from one machine on my network to another and I take it you're streaming from the internet? Sites like 4oD and BBC iPlayer?

If I tried that I think my internet connection would be the limiting factor not my wireless network speed. However I suspect most of the stuff that's available to stream isn't full SD anyway.

quote:
What about video calls??
Depends on the resolution I guess. I've used my wbecam with Skype and MSN with no problems over the wireless network but the resolution my webcam is set at is nowhere near TV size.

Does that help at all or is it too vague, with too many caveats? [Biased]

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Nats
Shipmate
# 2211

No LP that's exactly what I needed - enough to convince me that 54g wireless router will play BBCi player and video skype fine. Wonderful - off I go shopping - thanks!!

Nathalie [Yipee]

--------------------
life is purple

aj

firewire technophobe
# 1383

- Posted      Profile for aj   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All the best with it, Nats.

Remember that 54Mbps speed is a lot quicker than the broadband that most people around the world have (we're blessed with Virgin Media's cable snail <2Mbps [Frown] service) so when it comes to online video your broadband connection will probably be slowing down the overall connection long before the wireless slows down (unless you've got loads of people on your wireless local area network at once and/or wireless coverage around the house is patchy).

--------------------
if there's no god, then who turns on the light when you open the fridge?

Posts: 2994 | From: ...on location | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
While in print layout you have to go to the tools menu, then options. In the print and web layout options there is a setting 'white space between pages', where the box need to be ticked. No idea what it was that I pressed in the first place that removed the tick though.

In print layout view, if you hover your mouse near the bottom or top edge of a page, it changes to a double-arrow, and if you click that, it removes the white space at the top and bottom of pages.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

[brick wall] Thanks ecumaniac. I knew there must be a simpler way out! That's really useful. Mind you, that can't be how I got there in the first place, as both hands were on the keyboard - but I can live with that bit of mystery. [Smile]

--------------------

Pearl B4 Swine
Ship's Oyster-Shucker
# 11451

- Posted      Profile for Pearl B4 Swine   Email Pearl B4 Swine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got the newer version of Java installed, so I could look at the new cafe'; But there was a disclaimer that my Windows ME wouldn't work with the higher Java. Well, I did it anyway, and I did manage to get into the new cafe'. However, I have no sound with the places & games I used to have sound on. Like Pogo games, and the chat cafe raft. I only had partial sounds in there before, and no 'features', only very basic operation.

So, I guess I will un-install the Java so I can play Word Whomp and Mahjong Safari with the noises I like.......and forego the New Ship CAfe'. Is there any way around this problem? Or is the answer to get a better newer Windows system? Thanks. Anyone who answers, please speak non-technical to me [Smile] Pearlie

--------------------
Oinkster

"I do a good job and I know how to do this stuff" D. Trump (speaking of the POTUS job)

Posts: 3622 | From: The Keystone State | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

An upgrade would be a good idea, methinks. However, I don't know whether there ever was an XP upgrade package for ME (which technically is older than Win 2000), and whether you could get one now, long after ME being supported by MS (that ended in mid-2006).

If you were to 'upgrade', you would certainly need to take into consideration your computer specs and the demands of a new operating system. XP still seems fairly reasonable, whereas Vista is using rather a lot of resources, even in the basic versions.

You might need to think of getting a new machine perhaps one day? Some may still be available now with XP as a special treat, though one will have to enquire carefully there.

Regarding practical workarounds I'm afraid I'm not competent, so perhaps someone else might chip in here? - Thank you all.

Hope that helps for the time being, as unsatisfactory as it may look...

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...Why can you set it up to always play a music CD without asking, but not run a program without asking?

It's to protect you from yourself - anyone might wander along with a key and plug it in, after all.

However, check out the U3 keys - the scuttlebutt in the security world has that they might be capable of this kind of behaviour.

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a hint if you have a MAC and use gmail and have been going crazy trying to use it for 24 hours.

Helpful hints if Shift, Command etc send gmail crazy

Using the Shift key sent all my text to email header line.

I tried everything known to me, including gmail help (haha!). I live with computer guru son who tried Google and came up with above link in seconds.

Just a hint to save you hours of frustration.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

quote:
Originally posted by Henry Troup:
quote:
...Why can you set it up to always play a music CD without asking, but not run a program without asking?

It's to protect you from yourself - anyone might wander along with a key and plug it in, after all.

However, check out the U3 keys - the scuttlebutt in the security world has that they might be capable of this kind of behaviour.

I can confirm that. You have the option of autostarting the U3 software and can do the same for every single program on the USB stick. However, I've so far only used those provided by SanDisk and U3 Download Central, but I imagine any program can be autorun.

(Love the SanDisk Cruzer Titanium drives BTW - very rugged. [Cool] )

--------------------

Drifting Star

# 12799

Starman's laptop (XP) was ordered with extra hard drive capacity (an extra 32GB on top of 8). Looking at the disk space using Device Manager shows that the extra space is 'unallocated', and we cannot find a way of using it. It doesn't appear to have been partitioned - there is no extra drive letter - and we just want it in with the rest on the normal c: drive. It was a while before we realised that we had this problem, and going back to the supplier is no longer an option.

Is there a simple way of grabbing the space? Help!!

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
(Love the SanDisk Cruzer Titanium drives BTW - very rugged. [Cool] )

I have one of those through work, and it's great, but it really bugs me aesthetically* that it counts as two drives, the untouchable core and the rest that I can use.

*Yes, yes I know!

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

If you don't like the U3 part, Gwai, you can kick it out. There is an uninstall option now. [Biased]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

This is a question, I want to automate for someone the process of preparing the church notices. It is basically a fairly simple piece of software that takes a piece of text, two dates one for display from and one for actual event date and also field to specify which notices.

Then it should generate a report that can be exported as an rtf file (though cut and paste will do) so it can be included on the church service sheets. It might also be handy if it had a check that said "Is this all events" y/n, yes would get it to an rtf file but no would get to an input file.

Does anyone know of software like this?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

*bump*

Any takers please? Ta. [Smile]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No answers, but here is something which is puzzling me.

The new BBC site, and particularly the iPod section depends on some sort of scripting. Possibly php. For some reason, this will not run on my home PC. I have enabled scripts, java, pop-ups, cookies... It's not the ISP, since the other computer on the wireless LAN is unaffected. Something, somewhere, is conflicting with the scripts.

Anyone have any idea of what sort of app would be hostile to php?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Have you checked your firewall settings on the PC?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes.

Even turning them off seems to make no difference.

I have looked at the event log, and the requisite cookies seem to be whizzing about, so why it doesn't DO anything, I don't know.

Leetle Masha

Cantankerous Anchoress
# 8209

- Posted      Profile for Leetle Masha   Email Leetle Masha   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a similar problem, Firenze, with Norton Personal Firewall 2006 (no money to update to their "360")--I can see a video on a news website if I turn off the firewall, start the video and turn the firewall back on... Have to do this every time I want to see a news video on the BBC (one available on the International version).

There is a way to set up rules in Norton Firewall, but I don't understand it and it costs to do their "live chat".

"Russia Today" has opened a YouTube channel here where I can see their videos through YouTube without turning off my firewall.

M

Posts: 6351 | From: Hesychia, in Hyperdulia | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Right, after reading up a bit on Mobile Code, I found the privacy settings which were blocking the BBC scripts (apparently it was identifying them as banner ads).

It means I can now watch programmes via iPlayer - assuming I want to see a programme at 4" rather than 40"....

Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

AFAIK, Firenze, you can watch (or listen to) some BBC iPlayer programmes with an external RealPlayer. Sometimes it takes a bit of fiddling, eg. right-clicking onto the video and choosing from the options. I appears to work for me, at least for certain broadcasts.

[ETA: I mostly watch news programmes, though.]

[ 07. April 2008, 03:46: Message edited by: Wesley J ]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze, BBC i-player has a function to make it full screen, or it does when I use it. It gives the option of being full screen for a programme I want to watch, and smaller for something I want to catch up with and multitask around.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure I'm the biggest idiot on the internet as of yesterday...

YouTube says that I cannot play any of its videos because I don't have the latest version of Flash.

So I follow their instructions about how to uninstall my current Flash player, restart my computer, and then reinstall Flash. Still, when I go back to YouTube, the same message is on each video. It's driving me round the bend. I must have uninstalled, restarted and reinstalled four times now - all to no avail. What gives? Is there something very basic I'm missing?

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
passer

Indigo
# 13329

- Posted      Profile for passer   Email passer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This might help out.
Read the description at the bottom of the page, and take a Restore Point before installing it, of course.

Posts: 1289 | From: Sheffield | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Can anyone tell me how to change the spell-checker dictionary in Word to UK English permanently?

If I go through Tools>Language>Set Language I can change it, but only for selected text - and even if I select a whole document it seems to find ways of defaulting back to US English as I add to it.

Surely there's a way to change the default setting? The patronising paperclip is just as unhelpful as usual. [Mad]

--------------------

leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have you checked your language settings in Control Panel > Regional and language options? Make sure that is set to UK settings.

Or possibly uncheck the "Detect language automatically" box in the Word "Set language" dialogue box?

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

# 12799

Ah - thanks Leonato. I did have the regional options set to UK English, but there is an Advanced tab there as well which has a setting for 'Language for non-Unicode programs'. That was was set to US English, and is now set to UK English, and seems to have sorted it out.

[Overused]

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am running Win XP and have come across a problem.

It used to be that the bit of space around the icons, and title of the file or folder was transparent, and you could see the colours of the background picture through them. But that has changed. Now the space is non-transparent. I can change the colour, but I can't get it to be transparent again.

Any ideas?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
This is a question, I want to automate for someone the process of preparing the church notices. It is basically a fairly simple piece of software that takes a piece of text, two dates one for display from and one for actual event date and also field to specify which notices.

Then it should generate a report that can be exported as an rtf file (though cut and paste will do) so it can be included on the church service sheets. It might also be handy if it had a check that said "Is this all events" y/n, yes would get it to an rtf file but no would get to an input file.

Does anyone know of software like this?

Jengie

If you're ok with an internet based solution, that shouldn't take more than a couple of hours to program. PM me if you're interested.

Amorya

Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  ...  33  34  35 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016