homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I first joined the ship there was a long thread on (mainly) knitting. I didn't participate much, as I was in awe of all your skill, and because I hadn't knitted anything other than the odd baby garment for years.

Now the damp dark evenings are driving me in from the garden earlier and earlier, and I really mustn't spend so much time in front of the computer, I feel the urge to attempt something crafty.

Visiting The Knitting and Stitching Show last month I was tempted to order a kit, which arrived yesterday. ...the first time in 45years that I have attempted to knit anything for me.

What are the rest of you creating on these dark evenings? (Not Christmas pressies, there's another thread for them!)

[ 02. March 2011, 20:19: Message edited by: Belisarius ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good idea. Why don't I turn off this computer and go take up my knitting.

I could either do the cotton modular jumper (mitred squares in shades of pink, cream, brown & blue).

Or the other cotton jumper, of which I have just the back to do - random stripes/blocks in navy, blue, cream, yellow, orange and red.

Or one of several other begun-but-not-finished projects.

Or I could just dive into the stash and start up something new. Today, for the first time, it is really wet and rainy and autumnal and it's possible to think of knitting with wool rather than cotton. I think maybe a waistcoat?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
spugmeistress
Shipmate
# 5795

- Posted      Profile for spugmeistress   Email spugmeistress   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
i'm (still) knitting this skirt from www.knitty.com (free amazingly cool patterns) which i've been knitting on and off for at least 2 or 3 years now and its still only belt length, let alone knee length.

am also desperate to learn sock knitting and make myself some hand warmers, but time does not permit atm, and i'm not the fastest knitter in the world [Frown]

do any of you go to knitting groups or stich n bitch or anything like that? we have a craft breakfast at church once a month which is quite cool, but am trying to go meet up with this other one in chorlton if they'll have me, tis always inspiring to be around crafty peoples and make friends [Smile]

rach =)

--------------------
spuggie (aka rach :)

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I could either do the cotton modular jumper (mitred squares in shades of pink, cream, brown & blue)

I'm doing mitred squares, too. That's what tempted me to have a go at this pattern...no more than 35 stitches on the needles at anyone time, so much easier on tired arthritic hands.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not good at sticking to a single knitting project. I'm currently working on a baby blanket in fingering-weight using the Curve of Pursuit pattern. Because of the fine yarn, I've had to go to 14 'squares' but it's easy enough, and I tend to do it while I'm reading threads on SoF! [Big Grin]

I'm also working on a summer sweater made from mitred squares using a cotton/rayon print yarn in red, gold, brown and black, and on a cardigan in dark red 5 ply. The body of that's just stocking stitch, but I'm planning to put a fancy band all the way round it (which will take about a hundred years, I suspect).

I put the needles away for several years and have just come back to knitting in the past couple of years. I don't know how I did without it.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A Stitch n Bitch group has just started in Hay - I went to the second meeting on Thursday evening.
I'm very much a beginner knitter, so I've just been to the local Oxfam shop this morning to get a pair of size 5 needles so I can take part in the charity project that the organiser of the group has started. Basically it's knitting blanket squares for knee rugs, for elderly people who spend a lot of time in a minibus being taken to their day centre. This will give me a lot of practice in increasing and decreasing, since they're being knitted on the diagonal.

Meanwhile, I'm the group's demonstrator for odd crafts, like hand spinning dog fur, Viking knitting (nalbinding), and using a medieval lucet to make cords.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Widgery
Shipmate
# 11950

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Widgery   Email Mrs Widgery   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't knit to save myself . . . the really sad thing is though that the ladies at stitch and bitch gave up trying to teach me . . . . [Disappointed] that's just a little bit pathetic on my part

I'm in the middle of a counted cross-stitch atm - something nice and bright and colourful for our new kitchen.

--------------------
Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Posts: 100 | From: Further north than previously, although not tropical yet | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't knitted for years but I've just started a cross-stitch picture. It's intended for the nursery, but pregnancy is messing with my brain and I keep making mistakes! I also like freestyle embroidery, but never know what to do with the results - there's not much call for tray-cloths nowadays!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is why I love the ship! Now I don't feel so bad about my lack of ability, and the fact that I still haven't quite finished the counted cross-stitch bookmark I bought nearly a year ago from these people. And that despite it not being difficult, or having many stitches, I still managed to muddle up a bit at the bottom. I can count, really I can. Just not very well, it would seem.
Now I might go and finish stitching on the backing.
Gnome

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
I also like freestyle embroidery, but never know what to do with the results - there's not much call for tray-cloths nowadays!

I've embroidered my daughter's jeans before now - mostly to repair damage and cover up the repair work. I'm also in the middle of embroidering a long sleeved T-shirt of mine to cover up the bleach stain.

When I took Chemistry I used to drop acid down my legs and leave neat holes down my jeans, so I used to cover them with satin stitch and use that as the centre of a lazy daisy stitched flower, add some green stem stitch and the odd lazy daisy stitch leaf made very funky jeans that were much admired and totally to repair damage.

The other thing I am about to start again is teaching children to embroider felt to make glove puppets.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am making a multidirectional scarf (photograph at the bottom of the .pdf) in Air. It has the look of modular triangles, but is actually short row shaping. [Big Grin] I made two hats in this too.

I made a lovely powder blue Odessa hat for my little cub. Unfortunately the link doesn't seem to be working properly just now.

In the next few days I am expecting a delivery of yarn from the wonderful Colinette.com. There will be some rainbow One Zero - Jamboree to make a long 'stocking hat', 3 skeins of Parisienne - Florentina to make a shawl, and one skein of Parisienne in Mist to make a cowl. These are Christmas presents from my Mam and Dad. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
I've embroidered my daughter's jeans before now

When I was a poor postgrad student, a local store sold these cotton trousers - in those days, tight to the knee, then flared. I embroidered a fieldmouse on one leg. Smocks were in then as well, and I had several, with proper smocking.

Embroidery used to be used a lot on clothing - so I say, go for it. You could transform your wardrobe.

[ 11. November 2006, 17:41: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've started knitting this year: but only fluffy wool scarves, 10/12/15 stitches, usually big needles. I know the difference between knitting and purling, but that's it

The truth is, "proper" patterns scare me: can someone point me towards something which might be easy and small enough for it to be put down to a learning lesson if I make a mistake? I looked at the stitch n bitch website, but there's none in my neck of the woods...

The other thing I've been thinking of is crochet. My grandmother crocheted my mother two fantastic blankets when she went to college, which were then passed on to me - they're clearly made of lots of odds and ends of wool as they're stripey from the inside out. I thought it might be a nice project in her memory if I could do the same, 35 years on. I don't know how to crochet, but then again, this time last year I didn't know how to knit either [Smile]

[ 11. November 2006, 17:53: Message edited by: Ferijen ]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've recently discovered yarn made from corn at Southwest Trading Co. and am knitting washcloths and a couple of bookmarks with it. I also have an alpaca baby blanket and a wool scarf on the needles and just finished felting a wool sherpa hat for a friends soon-to-arrive baby. I promised myself I wouldn't start any new projects until all my Christmas presents were done, but then I found some great hemp yarn at the LYS and have begun a wine bottle cozy (from www.knitty.com think).

Since I usually knit while reading the posts here, you'll know why if you don't hear from me often.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:

The truth is, "proper" patterns scare me: can someone point me towards something which might be easy and small enough for it to be put down to a learning lesson if I make a mistake?

Have you seen www.knittinghelp.com ? There are online videos showing various stitches in both continental and English style and you can watch as many times as you need to in order to get familiar with the proper method.

The Staphanie Pearl-McPhee book,Knitting Rules has great directions for really simple hats and scarves. That would be a good, easy was to learn without too much expense of time or money.

--------------------

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm in the middle of knitting a jacket type thing to cuddle up with in winter nights...the only problem is...I've not been using a pattern, and I'm sure it will all go horribly wrong. The problem was I decided to make it when I couldn't go out and get a pattern and now that i've got one I am trying to convert what i've done to the pattern. I'm about to start shaping the back, and have done the straight bit on one of the sides.

I love knitting with big needles - i'm using 8s at the moment but really want to use 15 or 20 mm if i could find sutible wool for a reasonoable price

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Sophs - if you've checked the tension, you should be ok.

Basically, if you know how may stitches measure how much, then you know if it is big enough to fit.

My take on shaping is Very Simple. The back of anything can be knit as a rectangle. The front - V necks are easiest: decrease every other/every three/every four depending on the thickness of the yarn. Its a fairly simple calculation as to how wide the shoulders, to how deep the V (based on your stitch count to the inch as above). Plus you can always infill a too-wide/deep neckline with more rib, so it's not fatal.

Sleeves are fairly easy to work out on the same basis. But if you really want simple, go for the kimono shape. Back a rectangle. Fronts two rectangles - but sufficiently smaller to leave a gap for the neck. Sleeves - rectangles.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
What are the rest of you creating on these dark evenings? (Not Christmas pressies, there's another thread for them!)

Roseofsharon, This is one of the many reasons I love doing socks. It's late spring down here and socks are perfect for summer/spring knitting as they are easy to hold and not hot on my lap. I sit on my back deck in the afternoon sea breeze and knit socks almost all summer. Well, not those days last year when it was 45°, but certainly most of the time.

Spugmeistress Socks are really easy IF you just follow the directions. Don't read ahead and get panicky about not understanding what to do. I taught myself. Have a look at the Socknitters site. They have well written tutorials as part of the large resources there.

Cranmers Baggage I'm with you. Multiple projects are good. No boredom and everything gets finished. Years ago, I would only ever knit one thing at a time and it often just drifted off into oblivion. When I picked up knitting again, I started multiples. They all get worked on and all get finished.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
gizzie

Ship's interpreter
# 11715

- Posted      Profile for gizzie   Email gizzie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
yes I must get out those knitting needles again. I've seen such a lot of lovely new textured yarns but unfortunately the patterns( for sweaters etc) on sale here are mainly just for standard double knitting wools and the like. Will look at some of the sites you've recommended.
Posts: 381 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Since I generally knit or crochet while watching TV or traveling in the car, I usually stick to easy "idiot's delight" type projects that don't require precise attention to a pattern for intricate cables, stitch changes or counting. I'm about to start a Christmas stocking for my daughter's fiance. Everyone in the family has one from the same pattern, so figure I'd better start his.

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

- Posted      Profile for Foxy   Email Foxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been working on a jumper (at least, that's what it's called Stateside...what does everyone else call a sleeveless dress that's worn over a blouse or shirt?) for my daughter for about a year now. It may end up being for HER daughter at this rate. Really cute cotton yarn, mostly pinkish-red, but flecked with blue and green and yellow and orange. It's slow-going, and I'm a little pessimistic about how it'll turn out--I ended up improvising here and there on the front half...but it's been so long I can't figure out what I did to match the back half! It'll be crochet trimmed if I ever get that far.

In the meantime, I have actually completed a few things: a giant baby blanket for a friend's new one, and a silly-looking but very warm hat for my daughter.

What I really want to do is a felted bag for myself.

Posts: 499 | From: 11 blocks west | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My dear mother-in-law was an avid knitter, and when we cleaned out her house I took all the leftovers of baby yarn. It turned out there wasn't really enough of anything to make a project... and then I heard of a charity that collects hand-knit baby hats (especially preemie sizes) and gives them to hospitals. Just the ticket! I've made four little hats so far, some simple booties, and now, because they've asked for blankets, I'm making a patch-work style blanket out of these odds and ends of yarn. It's such a feel-good thing to do while watching TV. I feel my MIL's presence and know I'm helping some little ones too. (Plus, there are a lot of simple patterns available -- a godsend because I'm a very mediocre knitter.)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Curiosity killed..., I too had jeans patched with fanciful embroidery once upon a time. One pair had an entire landscape across the back yoke. Oh, that was hard when the jeans fell apart beyond repair.

ferijen, I learned to knit mostly from Maggie Righetti's Knitting in Plain English. She recommends knitting baby clothes as practice for moving beyond straight unshaped knit and purl. They're small, so not much investment, but get you to practice all the knitting skills you'll want for larger items. And if they turn out odd you can always turn them into teddy bear clothes.

I'm currently knitting a strip afghan in "prayer shawl" stitch: Cast on some reasonable number. (I'm using 65, I think.) 3 knit, 3 purl, repeat. On the return, purl the knits and knit the purls. Oh yes, do the first and last stitches in whatever your normal edging stitch is; I always knit first and last but I understand there are better edges. You end up with essentially a garter stitch with subtle columns. Four strips, each a big skein of yarn, sew together when done. Donate to homeless shelter.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
MaryFL
Shipmate
# 7482

- Posted      Profile for MaryFL   Author's homepage   Email MaryFL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No knitting here, but lots of crocheting. I haven't done much with yarn lately (for one thing, the weather's been pretty warm). Instead, I've been working with thread, doing lots of doilies, mostly vintage patterns from the 40s and 50s. There are so many beautiful ones out there, and most doilies I can finish in about a week (5 days for the actualy crocheting, and a day or two for blocking). At the moment, I'm doing Christmas doilies and I have a few doilies to make as presents, so I plan to be very busy until after Christmas. [Smile]

--------------------
God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them.

Posts: 947 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I've been working on a jumper (at least, that's what it's called Stateside...what does everyone else call a sleeveless dress that's worn over a blouse or shirt?)
Down under, "jumpers" are what most others call sweaters. The sleeveless dress used to be called a pinafore but I really don't know these days.

There are lots of layered looks, particularly among students etc. but a jumper and blouse as you know it, is not a well known look here.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In the UK a Stateside "jumper" is called a pinafore dress, and was a staple of children's clothing as they stay on the child, unlike skirts, when the child has no waist at around 5. You still see pinafore dresses for school uniform for the younger children, but it's getting less common. When I went to secondary school pinafore dresses were included in the options for the 11 year olds, but I haven't seen anyone older than infants (5-7 year olds) wearing pinafore dresses in school.

I taught myself to knit for my very small premmie sized daughter who needed hats and mittens in August. She then got lots of home knitted stuff until she got too big to be interested (and boring to knit for) and her dolls got clothes, but she's now outgrown that too. I still will occasionally knit gloves and balaclavas, etc, but stuff that's quick. I also copied commercial stuff when I taught myself, so twist the stitch as I knit - it makes for a tidy result, but isn't quick and I don't think I should teach others, sadly. I find gloves and socks fun. I like the magic of shaping this one dimensional thread into a three dimensional shape.

I can crochet, but again, little stuff like edging, squares to build into other things. I wouldn't be neat enough to make a shawl for example, unless it was made up of lots of sections joined at the end.

I used to dressmake a lot, especially when my daughter was younger and the other kids wouldn't diss her for wearing homemade stuff. I also made stuff for myself and would customise clothes with fabric paints or embroidery - subtle little bits like a butterfly on a blouse pocket.

The other thing I would love to do more of is patchwork - have you seen the books of clothes made of patchwork? They are incredible.

[eta: gots = got lots]

[ 12. November 2006, 07:20: Message edited by: Curiosity killed ... ]

--------------------

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been knitting since I was 8. I have lost count of the sweaters/jumpers I have done. I have two knitting machines as well but I don't find them as relaxing as handknitting.

Any other male knitters out there care to 'come out'??

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
As a kid I learnt to "knit" in a very basic way - i can do scarves and squares!!!! (I also used to do crochet doilies but ran out of uses for doilies...)

How hard is it to do socks? Is that something I could pick up? I love knitted socks... Where do I go for a basic pattern?

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
The other thing I would love to do more of is patchwork - have you seen the books of clothes made of patchwork? They are incredible.

Do you have titles/authors? They sound very interesting.

When I dressmade a lot, I used to do cheat's patchwork quilts, by machining simple shapes together and backing it with an old sheet. I have one on the bed yet that I made about a decade ago.

I have a patchwork kit for a weskit which I bought in, I think, Seattle, about the same time, but have never got round to making up.

I love the aleatory element of patchwork, which is why I knit a lot of 'patchwork' type patterns.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
oooh, a knitting thread [Yipee]

I have grand plans for socks - I have the yarn already (a lovely purplish wool) but now I need needles! I have been warned against the standard circulars they sell at Spotlight (local crafty/haberdashery/manchester mega-store) because they snag the yarn at the point where the needle joins the plastic bit. I may decide to just buy Addis.

I recently got the book "Stich and Bitch", mainly so I can have it on my bookshelf and have visitors giggle at the title. Next I need to get "the Happy Hooker" (crochet)

I am still cross stitching my fractals but I think I need to shift my crafty priority to making something for my Secret Santee.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I love smocking, but can't find anything to use it for. With a family of sons and grandsons there isn't much call for little smocked garments.
My son and daughter-in-law wouldn't even put the babies in smocked rompers when they were tiny, and mock the photographs of my boys in them.
I am far too large to look good in gathers!

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

I got books on patchwork out of the library Miranda Innes: Rags to Rainbows which shows patchwork from around the world in fun projects.

I can't find the one that told how to make clothes, but this is the sort of stuff that was being described.

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:

In the next few days I am expecting a delivery of yarn from the wonderful Colinette.com. [Big Grin]

I've only just discovered Colinette and have nearly finished a jacket in Giotto Mist which is shades of grey, pink and mauve all blended together. It is knitted in rib on 6mm needles so it has only taken a few weeks to do. I'm planning to do another one is one of the gold/brown/green mixtures but in stocking stitch this time.

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some fabulous yarns around now- glittery, fluffy, ribbony, etc.
I knitted several scarves last year - most of my family now have one!
This year I cross stitched a sampler for daughter Erin's wedding.
I devised the pattern using a book by Jo Verso. Her designs are clear and contemporary.

My big problem craft wise is my puss cat Lucy.
All threads are fair game to be pounced on, so I can only carry out these projects when she's on a bed, or in the garden!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
gizzie

Ship's interpreter
# 11715

- Posted      Profile for gizzie   Email gizzie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can really see a project coming on! I've saved a few of the sites which people have linked to. If I can find a reasonably easy pattern for a long sleeved sweater which can be used for some lovely new textured yarn I shall be starting something in the new year. But probably not before as I have still got loads of cards to make for Christmas.

Gay Organ Grinder - I hope some more male knitters will come out too and share their projects. My sister in law in Scotland told me that her grandson wanted to learn to knit but his dad said it wasn't appropriate. So I sent her a photo that I took when I was travelling in Peru a couple of years ago. We went to an island on the Peruvian side of Lake Titicaca (called something like Taquile I think). In the town's main square we saw the local men , standing around , chatting and knitting fabulous intricately patterned garments(and not a pattern in sight!). Apparently there it's the men that knit, women spin the yarn and dye it. Every young man has to knit himself his own hat in his individual pattern, and these hats are not just bobble hats , they are three or four feet long. Knitting your own hat is like a rite of passage into manhood.

Posts: 381 | From: UK | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a a bit of a Jack of all trades when it somes to craft. Hadn't done anything for years, then when I was pregnant with baby b, I decided to make a quilt for him. I finished it when he was 16 months old, and I only managed that because I posted pictures of the unfinished quilt on my blog and asked people to nag me into getting it done. (Finished article here )

Since I finished the quilt though I have really got back into the crafting thing. I think I found that having something I was working on to do in the evenings or any spare time when baby was sleeping made me use that time more constructively than just flopping in a heap. I've remembered how much I enjoy always having something on the go, and usually a notebook full of ideas as well.

In the past I've done silk painting, patchwork, making toys and generally fiddling about with paper and paints and seeing what happens. Recently I have really got stuck into making bags. I've just finished a patchwork quilt for a friend's baby, and now have to get going on the list of things to make for Christmas presents. And Christmas cards.

Like I said though, Jack of all trades and definitely master of none - I wouldn't want anyone really proficient in the stuff I've dabbled in to look too closely at it. [Smile]

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I love smocking, but can't find anything to use it for. [snip]
I am far too large to look good in gathers!

Doesn't have to be all gathered. Back in the days, I had a top of which the front was two side pieces, with a panel of smocking in the middle.

Anyway, I have been so inspired by this thread that I am halfway up the front of a knitted weskit, using some yarns I got in Ontario last autumn when we were over. I don't have a pattern exactly - I'm just looking at a picture in one of my Vogue knitting books and adjusting the width/length as I go.

Do people have favourite designers? I will go out of my way for anything by Brandon Mably

Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

- Posted      Profile for Foxy   Email Foxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, yes, pinafore--thank you Lothlorien and Curiosity killed.... My daughter is nearly 4 and still "waistless," so this style works really well on her. This thread is inspiring me to make a push to finish this thing!

I think someone else mentioned knitty.com. They have a bunch of really cute patterns.

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by gizzie:
If I can find a reasonably easy pattern for a long sleeved sweater

A fantastic book that might be just up your street is The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns by Ann Budd. The Amazon US site allows you to have a flick through the book on-line.

Ann Budd given several different basic designs on sweaters and cardi. She provides a table to look up, with the number of stitches per inch, and the size of the sweater. This way one basic sweater pattern can be written so that you can use it to make a chunky sweater for a 6 month old baby, and the same pattern can be used to make a 48" sweater in 4-ply (fingering).

I also have the companion book, The Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns, which has hats, gloves, socks and sweaters. I recommend both books. They are fantastic if you want to move into designing your own stuff rather than relying on the patterns of others.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am crocheting my Christmas gifts this year (about 1/3 done): sleeveless gloves: an example

They're easy, don't take much time, and allow me to use up yarn scraps.

Plus, my 80-year-old mom needs to jazz up her image a bit.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
spugmeistress
Shipmate
# 5795

- Posted      Profile for spugmeistress   Email spugmeistress   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
cranmers baggage and badfundie - how on earth do you knit whilst on the internet? i need this skill! i used to get alot of knitting done whilst watching telly or films or whatever, but now i dont watch tv alot, and spend all my time on the internet, i dont find my hands are as free to be doing something else...

sophs - i like making up my own patterns as i go as well [Smile] also, big knitting is ace, it goes so fast but you're right, the wool does tend to cost a fortune - my local st anns hospice charity shop has just started selling wool quite cheap though, and they sometimes have chunky stuff in. 15s are also quite fun for using as drumsticks [Big Grin]

lothlorien - ta for the link, i shall have a look [Smile] i've tried starting a couple of times, but i still can't quite get the hang of dpn's for circular knitting. i like using circular needles but they are quite hard to do such small stuff on and the magic loop thing doesnt work so well with my denise kit (which is amazing by the way everyone else, you'll never need to buy needles again!)

emma - i shouldnt be teaching you bad habits and/or cheating, but since i have tried the traditional ways of socks and not got very far, i am now trying these - sox on 2 stix from knitty. i have a thing for short row shaping (its so clever!) and also like curiosity killed... says - i love making seamless three dimensional shapes out of this little piece of string!

ecumaniac - try the denise kit i mentioned above if you can afford the initial outlay, they are pretty good for circulars, but maybe not small enough for socks (i have yet to find circulars small enough for socks, i think they make them in japan but they are uber expensive on ebay) also, cross stitching fractals?! i need pictures! i love stuff like that, i used to embroider maps when i was at art college [Smile]

birdie - i'm the same, i love trying new stuff and learning new crafts and making up my own random things, but i dont think i have the attention span to learn any of them particularly well! at least friends and relatives dont get bored of all the presents they get made though when its a new craft every month [Biased]

you are all (especially the patchworkers/dressmakers/embroiders) inspiring me to go and do stuff now! if only i had the time [Frown] i am cross stiching my christmas cards this year though, so that should be fun (i also have a thing for 8 bit pixel designs and any type of craft that can duplicate them)

rach =)

[ 12. November 2006, 22:52: Message edited by: spugmeistress ]

--------------------
spuggie (aka rach :)

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
Originally posted by Gay Organ Grinder:

Any other male knitters out there care to 'come out'??

You didn't ask about websites, but just in case you don't already know, there is www.menknit.net and also www.menwhoknit.com . Knitty.com did a whole issue on men knitting. There were some pretty cool projects. The only male knitter I know personally claims to be allergic to Christians, so I don't think I can get him to post here. [Frown]

--------------------

Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

Wait a minute...this is a CHRISTIAN website? [Razz]
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Spugmeistress,
If you can knit and read at the same time, you can knit while reading stuff on the 'puter screen just as easily as while reading stuff on a page. Easier, in fact, because when I'm reading a book I often have to fiddle to make it stay open without being held.

Emma,
I'm not a sock knitter, so someone like Lothlorien might have better advice, but socks are not hard once you get over the mental hurdle about using double-pointed needles or circulars. The Denise needles are lovely, but hopeless for socks, because they don't go anywhere near fine enough. They're also a bit frustrating for those of us not in the US because they run in US sizes, which are different from the rest of the world. [Biased] The on-line knitting community is very into socks, so I suggest you do a bit of a web search. You'll find blogs and tutorials on knitting on 4 0r 5 DPNs, two circulars, or one long circular using the 'magic loop' method. Or ask Lothlorien. She's an expert. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

Apologies for double post - forgot about this:
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Widgery:
I can't knit to save myself . . . the really sad thing is though that the ladies at stitch and bitch gave up trying to teach me . . . . [Disappointed] that's just a little bit pathetic on my part

I'm in the middle of a counted cross-stitch atm - something nice and bright and colourful for our new kitchen.

Mrs Widgery,
I can't believe that someone is unable to learn to knit. Your stitch'n'bitch group is obviously made of less stern stuff than mine, if they gave up trying to teach you. If you live in the bit that's gert by sea to the south, I'd love to try to teach you to knit, and to introduce you to my s'n'b group.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

babybear
# 34

I find that socks are far easier to knit on two small circs than on dpns. There is a good tutorial for working with 2 cics. My preference is two 40cm Addi Turbos, although it it possible to get 30cm Addi Turbo circs. With these smaller ones, you should be able to knit an adult's sock on just the one circ.

I got a set of Denise Interchangables for my birthday, and I am very happy with them. They have been used for straight knitting as well as round and round.

bb

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
I find that socks are far easier to knit on two small circs than on dpns.
I do hats on circs and sometimes use them as straights if I have a lot of stitches. However, I find that they often make my hands and wrists sore. In hats, I tend to keep knitting, just because there isn't a break and so I keep going. I have arthritis in many joints including fingers and wrists so dpns force me to change position at the end of every needle. As a result hands are much better so I do all socks on dpns.

If I use them as straight needles, I have problems with my hand because they are not as comfortable to hold as ordinary needles or dpns.

Each to his own, as the saying goes.

The best I have found for arthritis is the casein needles made by Swallow, an Aussie company. Several brands. They are wonderful and I even have a couple of sets of casein dpns which my husband cut down because they were so long. I also like my rosewood dpns but am careful whatI use them on because they snap easily.

It's taken a bit of experimenting to find what suits me and the arthritis.

--------------------

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have embroidered some of my clothes - I was given a book of really lovely Chinese style transfers for my birthday a year or 2 back and had to find something to do with them! I ended up buying a wrap-around skirt from e-bay just so I could have something with a large flat surface to decorate! I also embroidered a cotton top/blouse thing a while ago - the plain ones were much cheaper than the embroidered ones in fashion at the time so I got a plain one and invented my own design. Very satisfying! [Smile] If bump is a little girl she might end up with all sorts of embroidered clothes!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do a bit of premmie baby knitting for the local hospital - tiny hats and baby socks (not proper ones!). I find these little patterns less scary!

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For learning to knit socks, get some recommendations for good basic sock patterns, then follow the advice a good friend gave me: The first time or two you turn a heel, just have faith and follow the directions blindly. It will work. Once you do one or two, the heel instructions will make sense.

I think mittens are a very good starter project - not big, the shaping, even with a thumb gusset, is simple, and if you do a peasant thumb (one that just grows out of the palm with no gusset), the thumb is not hard at all, either. I don't think gussetted thums are too hard, either. Several of the mitten books I have include easy mittens for beginners.

I do mostly 2-color knitting, socks and mittens. Not true Fair Isle (tooooo many ends to darn in), but other ethnic designs. Most of my output goes to Afghans for Afghans.

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016