homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 10)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
kentishmaid, this is from the bottom up? Are there 15 other stitches being cast off shortly before or after, on the other side of the pattern, to be the start of the other armhole (as I'm guessing this is)? That would make sense to me, except that I still can't make sense for myself of the 96 to 77 to 42 stitches.

Alas, without the whole pattern I'm unsure of what they might mean. I'd be interested to know what you decide and how it turns out.

I'm sorry I'm not able to be of help! [Frown]

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I wonder if any of you can help me.

I am a novice knitter. I have made a few fluffy scarves and then a bag on circular needles which I felted and now I am attempting socks.

I have a pattern which came with the wool (Regia - makes stripy socks). I am using 4 needles. I have done a ribbed section and a cuff so far.

So my problem is I don't understand the next bit of the pattern. It says:
Heel Flap: K13 and turn (what does the turn mean?)

Row 1: sL1P, P25, turn - 26 sts on this needle I have no idea what this means and my mind tends to think "Oh no too complicated shut down".

Can any of you give me a step by step guide to what this means I need to do? Or guide me to a website to help me?

Thanks very much - I tend to look at patterns and panic.

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This 'turn' business is the main problem that people have when knitting socks for the first time. So very many people ask this very same question. I wish that the pattern writers would give a sentence to explain it. [Disappointed]

With socks the general pattern is to knit the ribbing band, then a stocking stitch section, and then the heel is formed. You knit 13 stitches*, and then turn your work, as if you had just finished knitting a row on straight needles. You then purl across those 13 sts you have just knitted, and a further 13 sts. This will give you 26 on one needles. Now you use stocking stitch to work back and forth across these 26 stitches. This forms a square.

In your case you are working 13 sts, turning and working back 26 sts. The generic patter is to knit 1/4 of the stitches, and then purl back so that half of the original number of stitches is on the working needle.

I couldn't get my head around the sock pattern when I read it for the first time. But once you have made one sock it is very easy to make more.

Give a shout if you get stuck again.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you that is very helpful Babybear, very clear.

--------------------
My life.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Might you be bringing your socks to the Wightmeet? We could compare socks [Big Grin]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Holy Moley
Apprentice
# 8938

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Holy Moley   Email Mrs Holy Moley   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not a nifty knitter but I just realised how much fun crafts can be when I made my own Christmas wreaths and decorations from hedgerow bits and bobs. I am going to try flower arranging and that sort of thing and hopefully grow my own flowers.
Have any of you crafty types got suggestions as to how I can get started? Maybe a book or a course or flowers that are easy to grow and look funky?

Posts: 2 | From: Leeds | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
narnie83
Shipmate
# 11009

- Posted      Profile for narnie83   Author's homepage         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad this thread is here!

I don't think I've posted here before, despite being a mad knitter, see my website for proof. And for more pics my deviantArt gallery has lots of silly knittedness - http://narnie83.deviantart.com/

Do note the dalek - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/50579035/ - and the woolly picture of Whitstable wind farm - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/52753941/

Posts: 197 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'll also be bringing my sock knitting to the Wightmeet.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
I'll also be bringing my sock knitting to the Wightmeet.

I have no idea what I'll be bringing. I do have a ball of sock wool and the requisite number of DPNs, but I also have 3 balls of bamboo yarn winging its way to me from some lovely people, a Möebius cowl for the making of.

And I finished these!

But today, I am planting chilli seeds.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice gloves Rosumundi! Hopefully it won't be so cold at the Wightmeet that you'll need to wear them. I suspect I'll be bringing the jumper that I'm knitting - boring but necessary ready for next winter. Hopefully a pair of socks that I knitted will be coming too [Smile]
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Nice gloves Rosumundi! Hopefully it won't be so cold at the Wightmeet that you'll need to wear them. I suspect I'll be bringing the jumper that I'm knitting - boring but necessary ready for next winter. Hopefully a pair of socks that I knitted will be coming too [Smile]

I will bring them, thus providing a cast-iron guarantee of gorgeous weather all weekend (kind of like if you leave your umbrella behind, it's guaranteed to rain).

--------------------
Website.

Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

quote:
Might you be bringing your socks to the Wightmeet? We could compare socks [Big Grin]

I will indeed bring them, especially if there are experienced sock knitters who may be able to keep an eye on me.

I'm very keen to see what other people are doing, I'm very new to this knitting business.

--------------------
My life.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cute dalek, narnie!

I finished my first hat this morning. I've spun the alpaca (which is just wonderful, like spinning clouds, it's so soft), and then I used a knatty knitter to make the hat. It was the first time I'd used one, and I was impressed at how easy it was. It's a bit like the old cotton reel with nails in, except this one was about the diameter of my head, with about 20 knobs to wrap the yarn around.
It's very soft, and very warm, and I am very pleased with myself.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love reading about others' projects, and this thread has been really inspiring, though till now I've only lurked.

Thursday night I finally finished a sweater crocheted with a chunky, fuzzy variegated yarn (basically green, with some tan and brick). I started it last year, then stopped when the weather turned warm, then took it up a few weeks ago. Ended up completely redoing the back to make it smaller, as I've lost weight since last year, and it came out pretty well -- very cozy. I'm gratified that the weather is cool this weekend; I'll get to wear it at least a little bit before the summer.

As I'm on a roll, I promptly went out Friday evening and bought and started my next project: a lightweight cotton sleeveless top in a golden yellow. This is a knitting project, and I'm really more of a crochet person, but it's pretty simple and I'm hoping to improve my knitting skills. And also hoping to finish this thing before the weather turns cool in the fall. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My niece has sleepovers at Grandma's house every so often. And each time she brings her doll, and tells Grandma how cold her poor doll is because she doesn't have any clothes.

When I was over visiting just before Easter my lovely little niece tried the routine on me too. I am a sucker for a smile and a prettily phrased request. Whilst I was there I made a little beany hat for the doll. But apparently the doll is still cold and could do with some socks. [Paranoid]

This weekend I made a poncho-like cape for the doll. It is in cream, with pink fluffy trims at the neck and the bottom of the cape. I shall make some pink fluffy topped socks to do with the cape.

This 'doll' has very decided views when it comes to colours. The 'doll' loves pinks and purples. Cream and white are okay, as long as there is some pink. Hearts are good too. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your niece must be related to my daughter [Smile] . I just finished putting fringe on a doll poncho that started out as a corner-to-corner dishcloth. When DD saw the color, and that it was "just right" for her doll, the project changed. Now I am working on booties for a baby shower that would be "perfect in a smaller size" for another doll. Also, the other dolls saw the poncho and now they each want one in a different color and stitch pattern. [Help]

Fortunately, a poncho is a perfect beginner project for a little girl who is learning to knit her own doll clothes.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
This 'doll' has very decided views when it comes to colours. The 'doll' loves pinks and purples. Cream and white are okay, as long as there is some pink. Hearts are good too. [Big Grin]

Sensible doll. How is she with sparkly?

I, on the other hand, have just done the cuff and four rounds of the calf of my first ever sock. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Website.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rosamundi,

Handknit socks are wonderful. I've now made lots but remember the first one. A word of advice...Don't try reading ahead and wondering what the pattern means. It's not good for the head. [Razz]

when you get to the heel, follow the instructions and it should all fall into place. If not, ask here. Quite a few of us have done socks.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
Sensible doll. How is she with sparkly?

I don't know. [Ultra confused] I didn't ask. However, my niece is 4 years old. I presume that sparkly will be quite fine.

I have now run out of projects that I actually want to knit. I don't know what to do next? Are we into the time of year when their is enough light to make a midnight blue gansey? Should I procrastinate by knitting some more socks?

Suggestions very welcome.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
I don't know. [Ultra confused] I didn't ask. However, my niece is 4 years old. I presume that sparkly will be quite fine.

If she's four, I don't think you can go wrong with pink'n'sparkly.

Sock is coming on apace, but I haven't got to the heel yet, it could all come to a grinding halt...

--------------------
Website.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heels are pure wierd magic. You follow the bizarre directions exactly as written, wondering all the time, "What the--?!", and lo and behold, a sock heel emerges.

babybear, I'm in that same "between projects stage." Come to think of it, there's 1 1/2 socks in my knitting bag (from at least 2 years ago [Eek!] ) that could stand to be finished [Snore] .

Does anyone else get this nothing-to-do between-projects phase? Where does it come from?

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I love doing heels! They look as if they should be far more complicated than they are, but if you follow the instructions then they are great.

As my poor left thumb is complaining I'm trying Continental (or left handed) knitting for the first time. I've changed to this from English (or right handed) knitting towards the top of the back of the jumper that I am knitting, so I hope the tension is not too different - so far it seems fine.... but I've only done 10 stitches so I hope I'm not speaking too soon!!

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I dug out my half finished patchwork quilt today. I was feeling inspired so I sat doing it in from of Dr Who tonight. I ended up getting cramp in my left thumb really quickly! I used to be able to sew for hours without having any problems!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Continental K [Smile]
Continental P [Waterworks]
Continental choc [Cool]

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's a handy link for those who knit socks. Turning the heels for lots of different sizes and a range of heels too. I've found it a useful reference.

heels by number

As I and others have said; just follow the pattern as it says for the heels, without wondering about it. Suddenly, you'll have a neat little cup for the heel. [Yipee]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

babybear
# 34

quote:
I've changed to this from English (or right handed) knitting towards the top of the back of the jumper that I am knitting, so I hope the tension is not too different

I think the chances of you achieving the same tension using two different methods of knitting to be very small. I would suggest that you finish the back in your usual knitting style. Then if you want to have a go with continental knitting, do it on the sleeves. You would be advised to knit a tension swatch, and ensure that your tension was consistent across the whole garment.

I tried continental knitting, and my tension was considerably tighter than in my normal style. I am worried that you will have a line across the back of the garment, and that the neckline will be rather odd. If you decide not to swatch the sleeves (or any part unknitted) then you may well have pieces that are a very bad fit.

Knitting takes quite a bit of time, and it is awful to see a lovely item ruined because it doesn't fit.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Thanks babybear - I had noticed that the COntnental was tight. I've been knitting "English" style for about 40 years now & feel it will take quite a while to get used to Continental - but need to do something because my thumb really is causing quite a lot of discomfort. Still, even if I go back to English & only do 2 or 4 rows a night, I'll probably finish in time for next winter which is when it's for!
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
As I and others have said; just follow the pattern as it says for the heels, without wondering about it. Suddenly, you'll have a neat little cup for the heel. [Yipee]

It looks like a sock! It looks like an actual recognisable sock! [Yipee] Well, except it hasn't got any toes yet. Meh. Details.

Daisydaisy, would the videos here be any help for you getting the hang of continental purling?

[ 22. April 2007, 19:34: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
quote:

It looks like a sock! It looks like an actual recognisable sock! [Yipee] Well, except it hasn't got any toes yet. Meh. Details.

Daisydaisy, would the videos here be any help for you getting the hang of continental purling?

Well done! [Yipee] Isn't it a great feeling of accomplishment. What's more, handmade socks are just wonderful to wear. My feet protest if I put on commercial socks now.

Watch out, though. Knitting socks can become addictive. Small, portable, great result, a good way of trying out yarns or using yarn too expensive for a bigger project etc. If Ii knit socks on the train, I almost always get into a conversation with someone about them. One old lady cried because she was pleased to see that skills like this were ongoing, not dead as she thought.

[ 22. April 2007, 19:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
but need to do something because my thumb really is causing quite a lot of discomfort.

I wonder what would happen if you were to rest from knitting for a week, and perhaps take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. It might be that the rest would allow your thumb the chance to heal and that you would be able to resume knitting at a normal rate again.

If you go for that idea, you could try making a patchwork cushion cover, cross stitching a couple of cards or trying out a couple of new recipes.

This week I have a couple of Lloyd Loom stools to recover for a friend from church.

And I am on the lookout for a shawl pattern in a lace weight mohair.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Watch out, though. Knitting socks can become addictive. Small, portable, great result, a good way of trying out yarns or using yarn too expensive for a bigger project etc.

Ahem. I've already ordered the yarn for my mum's Christmas present - one pair of cashmere and silk socks in a semi-solid raspberry colour. I'm doomed, I tell you, doomed.

I confess to looking at the instructions for the heel and thinking "this is never going to work in a million years," but I remembered the advice of someone in my knitting group, who said "well, it helps if you're a couple of glasses of wine to the good, the first time," so I took another mouthful of wine, stepped out in faith, and suddenly I had a heel. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Website.

RuthW

# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Continental K [Smile]
Continental choc [Cool]

I knit Continental style. Is there a particular problem you're having with purling, or do you just need more practice?
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:

Yes - thanks, I think this could be very helpful - I'll try it out.
quote:
quote:
but need to do something because my thumb really is causing quite a lot of discomfort.

I wonder what would happen if you were to rest from knitting for a week, and perhaps take a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory. It might be that the rest would allow your thumb the chance to heal and that you would be able to resume knitting at a normal rate again.

If you go for that idea, you could try making a patchwork cushion cover, cross stitching a couple of cards or trying out a couple of new recipes.

Yes, I really need to give the knitting a break - but is's soooo addictive and rather handy while I watch television:)
I've many sewing projects that I've had to put away because of my eyesight - it's not too bad, but I do need to be careful and I found this wasn't helping.
But I do need to get back into cooking again - so looks like now is the time [Smile]
quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:
quote:
Continental K [Smile]
Continental choc [Cool]

I knit Continental style. Is there a particular problem you're having with purling, or do you just need more practice?
I think I just need the practice, Ruth. I'm dreadful at needing to know how to do things now
RuthW

# 13

quote:
Yes, I really need to give the knitting a break - but is's soooo addictive and rather handy while I watch television:)
I've many sewing projects that I've had to put away because of my eyesight - it's not too bad, but I do need to be careful and I found this wasn't helping.
But I do need to get back into cooking again - so looks like now is the time [Smile]

I envy you a little bit -- I'm doing needlework in order to help myself stay out of the kitchen in the evenings. [Big Grin]
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
I envy you a little bit -- I'm doing needlework in order to help myself stay out of the kitchen in the evenings
I can't do needlework at night unless I use a very strong light. I really need daylight for it. Also need daylight to knit dark colours unless it's just plain old stocking stitch which i don't need to watch. The joys of older eyes, although new script for glasses will also help.

Kitchen? While I need to lose some weight, I don't find eating at night a temptation, although I know others do. Someone I know brushes her teeth just before she sits down to watch TV. Then she is less likely to eat chocoltae, potato chips etc.

Another person made a fancy sign which said "Kitchen closed" and puts it up after cleaning sink à la Flylady. She found that helped.

As for me, it's just past 7:00 am and I've already been up four hours with an aching hip. I need to have a shower and go and do some grocery shopping. I was planning on walking to help exercise and weight loss, but it's actually raining. I thought it had forgotten how to. We desperately need it with the worst drought here in a century.

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

My sock is looking resolutely sock-like. [Big Grin]

Just about to start decreasing for the toe.

--------------------
Website.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:

Certainly does look like a sock. I really like the colours too.

Are you going to graft the toe? If you need help, search on "graft + kitchener" and you'll find videos to help if you haven't done it before.

Sometimes I graft toes and sometimes I do a round toe, a bit like the spirals at the top of a knitted hat.

I'm sure your feet will appreciate the handknitting.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

Well done. You have made a very neat start, and your gusset is looking good. It certainly doesn't look like your first sock!
Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

quote:

I am only at that stage, and I was knitting mine when the Wightmeet was on. You are definitely far faster than me. [Overused]

I was delighted that my heel looked like a heel (thanks Babybear). I will post here when I finally finish it. I did take a bit of a break until I found a friend who could show me how to pick up stitches along the heel flap.

I don't think I'll be able to wait to wear it until I've made the other one, I think I'll be like my children and wear odd socks. [Big Grin]

--------------------
My life.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Suzywoozy:
I am only at that stage, and I was knitting mine when the Wightmeet was on. You are definitely far faster than me. [Overused]

Yes, but I don't have 3 children and a husband to distract me! [Biased]

My sock is finished! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Just need to do the next one. [Biased]

--------------------
Website.

Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

quote:

My sock is finished! [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Just need to do the next one. [Biased]

They look great, I hope mine turn out looking as good.

<Rushing off to watch Morse and get more of my sock done>

--------------------
My life.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went round the Antique Centre here today, and there were two great wheels for sale. Sadly, both of them had essential bits missing, that would need pieces to be made to measure before they could be used. At £275 and £245 respectively, I couldn't remotely justify getting one on the off chance I could get it repaired, when new ones cost less.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

Why can't everything be so easy to sort out?

I ordered some cashmere & silk yarn from Hipknits a few days ago, and the parcel arrived today. Unfortunately, the owner had mixed up two parcels, and sent me two skeins of recycled sari silk instead. One e-mail to the owner later, she's tracked down my cashmere & silk, which is being posted on to me tomorrow, and said I can keep the sari silk.

Contrast with PC World, who should have sent me a computer desk on 12th April and still haven't yet, and are being a complete obstructive nightmare over sorting it all out.

Now, what shall I do with this?

--------------------
Website.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Send it to me so I can make beautiful cards!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
Send it to me so I can make beautiful cards!!

Auntie Doris x

Let me think about that.
No. Shan't. Mine. [Razz]

--------------------
Website.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

OK then. Save me the leftover bits... I can use them on cards. [Biased]

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Now, what shall I do with this?

I have an idea [Big Grin]

I have a hankering for a triangular shawl, much like this one. If I don't have enough of the sari silk to do a full shawl, I can get a plain (but equally madly luxurious) yarn to do a border, maybe with cables?

What do people think?

--------------------
Website.

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It will be gorgeous-do it! [Cool]

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just downloaded some origami instructions to make polyhedra. I'll give them to my kids tomorrow to make. Hopefully they'll be ok and I can decore the classroom with them.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That Sari Silk is beautiful.

I want!

I have just brought about 700grams of Mohair Chunky from the Yarn Mill in Bradford, it's all oddments but I reckon I've got enough for a stripy jumper/cardigan and a pair of socks. I've also got some mega chunky purple, pink and white wool which I will knit on 10mm needles

I don't know what to do first...well, I have half a sleeve of my first ever jumper to decide...

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11  12  13  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016