homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If any of you want to participate in this project, your efforts would be welcome.

Here is some more information.

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been a while since I last posted here, but I just finished a jumper that i've been making for ages so I thought i'd post a link to show you.

It has taken me a while to do, but I am really pleased with it and my friend who I made it for likes it too.

Now to make something for me, and to carry on with all the differet socks i've put on hold so I could get this done!

LMM

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooh I should post here. I've finally finished a quilt for my niece. She is 1 (and it has taken me 4 years - because I started out thinking I'd make one for myself, and there was a two year gap in the middle in my defence).

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How to avoid "Second Sock Syndrome":

Get your handbag stolen, with your first sock and the not-quite-finished second sock (I was all the way down to the heel! Swine!) in it.

Poor socks [Frown] I mourns them.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like both the jumper and the quilt. Enjoy the sense of achievement! [Smile]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, I need to buy new sock yarn. I like purple and am amused by the thought of stripy purple socks, and would prefer to buy in the UK if possible (and not too expensive, please - the phrase "£100 excess on your insurance policy" is currently looming large in my thoughts). Oh, and whilst I'm asking - I'd like the moon on a stick, please! [Biased]

Any suggestions for particular brands and stockists?

[ 08. May 2007, 21:07: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rosamundi, I knitted some purple cotton socks using Paton's 100% cotton 4 ply colour 1718, which I got from a high street store. It was a yummy rich purple, a pleasure to knit with and apparently (they were an Easter present) very comfortable to wear. But not striped.

[edited to include link]

[ 08. May 2007, 21:17: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rosamundi,

I drool over the ads in the English Simply Knitting magazine. Although we have some good online places here, I enjoy looking at the ads. It's not an expensive magazine, so may be worth a look. I pay Australian $12.95 for it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Expert circular knitters, I need your advice please!

The lady next to me in the waiting room the other day was knitting a sock on four needles, and I noticed something that got me thinking. I do loads of two-needle knitting, but have never got on with four needles, and even less with circulars. She was purling the inside with the rest of the work towards her, whereas I had always tried knitting the outside with the work away from me. Somehow her way looked natural.

Am I just stoopid? Have I been doing it wrong, or is it just a choice thing? How does it work out with a pattern? I can't imagine cabling from the inside for example.

And regardless of which way around, how difficult is it to read every other line in reverse on a pattern like Knitty's BabyNorgi?

cheers
A

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My daughter's looking for a hat, warm for winter, something between a tam, rasta cap and snood. It needs to cover longish but not too thick hair neatly. Most of the snood patterns seem lacey, and the rastas are way too big and too sloppy. Any suggestions? I'd prefer to knit, but I can crochet. I'd rather not sew it.
I'm happy to pay for the right pattern. Thanks, guys. [Smile]

Posts: 382 | From: Brisbane | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Is this the kind of thing you are looking for?

http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter06/PATThexed.html

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

- Posted      Profile for mertide   Email mertide   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not exactly, badfundie. We're not looking for funky or interesting, we're looking for simple and warm and able to cover hair so as not to need to have it up in a bun with not a strand out of place. Think military, think cold. [Smile]
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:

ooooo I love that... if anyone clever out there who has time to spare who wants to make me one that would be great!!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are three different things called 'snood'. One type of snood is a lacy hair covering from medieval times. Another is the ballerina snood, and that is really just a little bun cover. The third is a tubular scarf that is a cross between a scarf and a hood. Which style is it that you are looking for? Perhaps the medieval one?
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

More like the medieval thing, in that it would sit lower at the back to hold the hair inside, but covering the top of the head. Not lacey, more solid. Like a rasta cap, but smaller. Maybe I just need to make a small rasta cap. From what I can see, we're talking something like a crocheted doily type thing with a ribbed band. Perhaps I can't find it because it doesn't exist. I've seen similar in fabric, a "jewish style" snood.

Like this only less size in the "bag" I think. I just want something she can drag over her head and keep her hair out of sight, that's warm. The lace ones are sweet, but not warm, and look like the hair issue would take some care if it wasn't to poke out.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by mertide:
Not exactly, badfundie. We're not looking for funky or interesting, we're looking for simple and warm and able to cover hair so as not to need to have it up in a bun with not a strand out of place. Think military, think cold. [Smile]

What about something like this cowl?

--------------------
Website.

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calorimetry may well be a good starting point. It will provide a good band to hold the snood in place. I would suggest that you start off with the pattern as stated. Then instead of casting off work the following:

1. Knit
2. Purl (and all even rows)
3. (K8, K2tog) to end (108 sts)
5. (K7, K2tog) to end (96 sts)
7. (K6, K2tog) to end (84 sts)
9. (K5, K2tog) to end (72 sts)
11. (K4, K2tog) to end (60 sts)
13. (K3, K2tog) to end (48 sts)
15. (K2, K2tog) to end (36 sts)
17. (K1, K2tog) to end (24 sts)
19. (K2tog) to end (12 sts)
21. (K2tog) to end (6 sts)

Break off yarn, and thread end through the remaining 6 sts. Use end to sew up seam of snood.

This extra bit will add an extra 10cm/4" to the length of the head band.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:

I am making this for DIL for her birthday. It's very easy and will look good. Am using Noro which cost a packet, but the colours, grey, green and moss, were just right for her. I've done it all, just have to put it together and do the band.

Magknits has some good hats in the archives too.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Here are another couple both of which I have knitted. They look lacy, but still seem to insulate. Then again, it's Sydney, not Canberra. I sold a couple to girls at college last year, and hair doesn't seem to be a problem with them.

Muse hat, very easy. Shazza is from Tasmania, so would want something warm.

Lacy cantata hat. you will need to scroll down to hats and pattern is a Word document.

Don't forget the coronet hat, with horizontal cable band and then pick up stitches and knit. Google for pattern.

A girl at college has a striped hat, which you probably don't want, but principle is the same. It seems to be knit sideways with shortrow shapings. Garter stitch and it looks good.

One more suggestion. Panta. Google again, wide shaped headband.

--------------------

mertide
Shipmate
# 4500

I'll show these to Chris, there's sure to be one she likes. Thanks so much, knew I could count on you all. [Overused]
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Adrienne:
The lady next to me in the waiting room the other day was knitting a sock on four needles, and I noticed something that got me thinking. I do loads of two-needle knitting, but have never got on with four needles, and even less with circulars. She was purling the inside with the rest of the work towards her, whereas I had always tried knitting the outside with the work away from me. Somehow her way looked natural.

Am I just stoopid? Have I been doing it wrong, or is it just a choice thing? How does it work out with a pattern? I can't imagine cabling from the inside for example.

And regardless of which way around, how difficult is it to read every other line in reverse on a pattern like Knitty's BabyNorgi?

I may be misunderstanding, but this sounds harder, not easier. I knit in the round so as to avoid purling - the knitting is the right way round, i.e. the knit side is out, the purl side is on the inside, and the knitting is in my lap, so to speak, with the bit I'm working on at the top.

I have seen someone knit inside out - the whole piece was inside out, though, and she was working (knitting) on the inside.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

Adrienne, I have been trying to visualise your description, but failing.

The norm for knitting on circs, or double pointed needles (dpns) is to use the needles closest to you. If you don't do that, but instead use the ones furthest from you then the tube of knitting will be made inside out.

You can choose to do that, if that is what takes your fancy, but it is worth remembering that the patterns are written assuming that you are knitting outside out.

Also, you can of course choose to only use purl stitches when knitting in the round. It will result in the same effect as only using knit stitch. However, it is going to make cabling more difficult.

Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
She was purling on the needles away from her - it looked quite natural, and she was going FAST!

I too would rather knit than purl, but I can't see any real disadvantage in the tube being inside out. I'm wondering if the angle of the two needles further away is closer to the angle I use when I knit on two, although I think the angle of the nearer pair would be closer to the way I purl!

I'm going to fish out a set of four and some old wool and do some experimenting.

Thanks for the comments [Cool]

A

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

If you are knitting inside out when making socks then you need to take a bit more care when picking up the stitches around the heel flap. This is simply to make sure you don't get a ridge on the right side. Some people find it very hard to graft toes from the inside.

I think it is in Peru that the knitters rarely use knit stitches, preferring to purl in the round. They make fantastically intricate sweaters too.

Like so many knitting things, once you know the rules, or the norms, then you can break them and adapt them at will.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Adrienne:
She was purling on the needles away from her - it looked quite natural, and she was going FAST!

I do this. Only I knit, so the tube of knitting comes out inside out. It's because I'm lefthanded, and more natural for me to go anticlockwise, or at least that's what we decided at knitting group last week.

Cabling is possible, so long as you remember which side is the front and which is the back.

--------------------
Website.

Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have finally finished my sock , only one you understand, and actually it was last week but I have only now got a photo up. I am quite a way down the second one now and my smallest daughter wants a pair next, while the biggest daughter wants a pair of gloves like rosamundi's but in black.

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Does anyone know any tried and tested simple pattens, or stitches that I should learn to do...

I'm half considering just doing a series of 10x10 squares, just practicing stitches, and possibly even seeing if I'm brave enough to cable and sewing them together into a quilt...Any suggestions for a very beginning knitter...

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
crunchywithketchup
Apprentice
# 12546

- Posted      Profile for crunchywithketchup   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Suzywoozy:
I am quite a way down the second one now and my smallest daughter wants a pair next, while the biggest daughter wants a pair of gloves like rosamundi's but in black.

and DH would like a guitar cosy please.

--------------------
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup"
http://maybeitmutters.blogspot.com

Posts: 8 | From: Isle of Wight | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
I'm half considering just doing a series of 10x10 squares, just practicing stitches, and possibly even seeing if I'm brave enough to cable and sewing them together into a quilt...Any suggestions for a very beginning knitter...

Cabling Is Not Hard. Trust me on this. Well, ok, some of it might be, but you start with nice easy ones and work up. Like running a marathon.

This page has instructions for a sampler afghan which will teach you a lot of techniques. It also links to this afghan.

This is Knitting Pattern Central's stitch pattern library, and this is the directory of afghan patterns.

--------------------
Website.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Suzywoozy:
I have finally finished my sock

That is a very cool sock [Big Grin]

--------------------
Website.

frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A picture of 'Chimp', made for a friend's baby, and a scarf made out of crocheted shapes I was making to get rid of some test swatches are now on my blog

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frin that is one cute monkey - and the scarf is amazing! [Overused]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just picked up my Bruges cross-stitch picture from the framers and I'm really pleased with myself cos it was fiddly to do but looks really good. [Big Grin] Now I've got to find some wall space! I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Now I've got to find some wall space!

Not a problem. I have oodles of wall space, and Gremlin and I went to Bruges on honeymoon. [Big Grin]
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm gathering up the courage - and the wool - to try a jumper. I've found a really simple pattern in the Ashford Book of Spinning, based on squares such as I am knitting at the moment for knee blankets (only rather bigger). Then I found some rather gorgeous blue mohair at the local Red Cross shop, and I went round the Hereford charity shops yesterday to match something to the blue. I came back with some grey mohair and some ordinary wool which was blue fading to white, to make the stripe that separates the blue and grey, and for the edgings. It should look stunning!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I'm gathering up the courage - and the wool - to try a jumper. ....... It should look stunning!

I look forward to seeing a photo of it!
babybear
# 34

[metallic computerised voice]

It is imperative you visit this website. There you will find cloning directions on how to make new daleks.

You will obey! You WILL OBEY!

[/metallic computerised voice]

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cute Dalek!

And you may have to wait some time for a picture of the jumper, daisydaisy. I'm not the world's fastest knitter!

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I can wait, Eigon [Smile]
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a photo of my cross-stitch. We found some wall space, I'm afraid babybear! I hope the link works...

--------------------
Nea Fox

Suzywoozy
Shipmate
# 6259

- Posted      Profile for Suzywoozy   Author's homepage   Email Suzywoozy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Keren-Happuch:
Here is a photo of my cross-stitch. We found some wall space, I'm afraid babybear! I hope the link works...

That looks great Keren-Happuch, much bigger than any of my attempts. I've been doing the Isle of Wight for about 3 years now and it looks about 1/4 of that size!

--------------------
My life.

Posts: 658 | From: Ambridge | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

Thanks! It's roughly 10cm x 30cm (4" x 12") - it's hard to tell the scale in the photo.

--------------------
Nea Fox

babybear
# 34

It is beautiful, and brought back happy memories of a honeymoon canal trip.
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Gorgeous picture!

--------------------

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finally!!! I finished a knee-length skirt for my 8-y.o. that is a lavender tube of suri merino knitted on size 3 needles. That's more than 22,000 stitches! And she's actually going to wear it since it doesn't itch. [Yipee]

Super easy and super boring and it's done.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear

Fixed Bearly Tone
# 9641

- Posted      Profile for Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Email Gladly The Cross-eyed Bear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello.

My name is Gladly, and I am addicted to knitting.

It all started when the Glorious Queen Mousie went back to school, and was needing help with her math homework. I would sit down, and snack while holding her hand through the introduction to algebra.

So I got the great idea that Knitting was something I could do that would keep me busy, be easily interrupted for math questions, and keep me from pigging out on snack foods.

I went to our local Yarn Shop (Needle in a Haystack, in Montrose) and asked about how to learn. I got some blue wool, some (US) number nine needles, and a book of instructions. I converted the wool into a series of squares in stockinette, garter stitch, rib stitch, increases, decreases ...

Drunk with power, I went back to the shop with my sweetie (the aforementioned GQM) and asked what she would like me to make. We found this pattern from Knitting Pure and Simple, and I got the three sets of circular needles and the set of double ended needles that the pattern called for, as well as enough variegated tan yarn to make the project.

That was a month ago. I have now finished the first shirt and have started on a second. I am developing callouses on my fingertips, and I feel nervous when I am not wiggling my fingers. I have even been neglecting my Shiply reading. [Help]

I am glad there is a support group for cases like mine. This is lots of fun, focuses my mind tremendously, and I end up with neat stuff to give to other people.

Gladly

--------------------
Percy, Mace, and Grease be with you!

Posts: 162 | From: East end of the Desolation of Smog | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Having just finished a very functional jumper ready for next winter (yes - I do like to be ready - aand I've already worn it during last week's colder weather!) I am now starting on a pretty cardigan for the summer - the pattern is by Jaeger, pictured on the front cover of the JB41 pattern book - but without the pompoms! I decided against using the Jaeger silk (I was rather put off by needing 10 balls at about £10) and found that Rowan Damask is more in my league [Smile]

I am using bamboo needles for the first time - I haven't noticed any difference yet, but suspect I will if I go back to my regular metal needles.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Having just finished a very functional jumper ready for next winter (yes - I do like to be ready - aand I've already worn it during last week's colder weather!) I am now starting on a pretty cardigan for the summer - the pattern is by Jaeger, pictured on the front cover of the JB41 pattern book - but without the pompoms! I decided against using the Jaeger silk (I was rather put off by needing 10 balls at about £10) and found that Rowan Damask is more in my league [Smile]

I am using bamboo needles for the first time - I haven't noticed any difference yet, but suspect I will if I go back to my regular metal needles.

That's very pretty and I also love the colour. Not one I could wear, but I love it. Enjoy knitting and wearing it.

I've just finished the Hexed hat from Knitty for birthday of one DIL next Saturday. No photos yet. I used Noro Silk Garden in mossy colours. She loves hats, anything unusual and loves green.

Rowan and Jaegar are both expensive down her, but so was the Noro. AUS$35/50 gm ball.

Bamboo? I don't like the circulars from bamboo but love my 5" bmboo sock needles. Also tiny Brittany birch sock dpns and my rosewood needles too. Arthritic fingers appreciate the bit of give in the wooden needles.

ETA: Those pompoms make her look as if she is first prize at the local flower show or something similar. [Big Grin]

[ 03. June 2007, 10:19: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another one who has just finished a winter jumper and got to wear it last week as it was so cold. It is in this rather striking shade of pink which I don't normally wear but it was so pretty that just knitting in it cheered me up no end.

As a knit-a-holic I'm now without wool and hope that I can find some in a sale somewhere as I'm getting withdrawl symptons......

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I may be ever so slightly knitting addicted.

I learnt to knit literally at my mother's knee, but never really took to it. I made some baby things, and at one time, my early teens maybe? I did knit myself a huge Aran jumper (I love cables!) that got progressively huger under its own weight every time I wore it. But I never connected to it, never felt I understood it at a fundamental level as I did the other crafts I did like tatting and crochet. I was following instructions, but I wasn't creating. And because of this, I'd usually get bored before I'd finished something, and then have unfinished objects hanging around in my craft drawers guilting me because I knew they were going to remain that way for ever, but I couldn't quite bring myself to throw them out with the time that had already gone into them.

Towards the end of last year, for reasons I don't remember, I decided to knit the Fetching gloves from Knitty. This was my first outing on dpns, and I could certainly relate to the "wrestling with a porcupine" description at first, and there were some very frustrating times when one of the needles would just slide out of its own accord and there I was with a whole needle's worth of stitches to pick back up, grrr! Still, once I got going, I was hooked.

The next revelation was in moving from eight-inch metal to six-inch bamboo needles, as they were the only ones I could find in the size I wanted. My mum had always used metal needles, so that was what I was used to using, and she hated bamboo, so I kind of assumed there was something inherently inferior about it and never considered it. I now discovered how wrong I was. Bamboo stays where you put it without trying to escape into your lap! My biggest piece of advice to anyone starting to knit on dpns is, even if you think you'll prefer metal needles in the long run, start with bamboo, and while you may still have a porcupine in your hands, at least it won't be alive.

Now thoroughly addicted, I knit about five pairs of Fetching one after the other. The obvious next step was socks. this very clear article was a tremendous help, especially the pattern for the "training sock", the perfect place to start! There was no stopping me after that, and most importantly it's finally all clicked so that I'm designing what I'm making and feeling full ownership of it in a way I don't if I'm only following a pattern. I love that the construction is so basic and all about simple maths, yet the formula is infinitely adaptable for creative designs.

Right now I'm knitting just a plain stocking stitch pair, but with the most perfect fit, I'm so pleased! I finished the first last night - while reading through this whole thread! - and have just finished the ribbing on the second. I tend not to get second sock syndrome, as by the time I've tried the first one on I'm even more excited to get the second done so I can wear them! I'm using this wool on 2mm needles, Clover bamboo 16cm. I prefer five-inch needles, but the only ones I've got at that length are Brittany Birch and I don't like either the bendiness or the blunt tips of those. I *love* the Clover needles, the whole feel of them but especially the points, so I can live with the extra length. I've knitted socks mainly on 2.5mm with the occasional 2.25 until now, the 2mms are rather less comfortable to use and it seems to go so much slower, but I'm loving the fabric I get. This is also the first time I've knitted with merino, I'm finding this yarn a bit splitty but it's so soft and springy that it makes up for it, it's gorgeous stuff. I couldn't resist the colours of this one, but generally I prefer to knit in a solid colour and add interest with stitch patterns. I'd like to try out some semi-solids, but all the ones I have my eye on are so expensive...

Another thing I'm working on at the moment is this, which is now about 40cm long (and it's about 9cm wide), and I still have no clue what it's going to be. It could be a narrow scarf, but I'm not sure how much use I'd get out of it. Any other ideas?

I'm also using up odds and ends of yarn on charity stuff for premature babies.

Although the knitting is the main obsession at the moment, I do loads of other crafts when I get the chance. Right now on one table there is painting underway on eggs (I've always loved decorating eggs), little FIMO figures (mostly birds) and dolly pegs. Jewellery is another long-term love, I made a couple of pairs of earrings the other day that I'd been planning for ages, but the supplies are just too expensive to go in for in a big way as I'd like to. (This is a great thing about knitting socks, with my small feet I can get a pair out of less than £4 worth of decent yarn, and it keeps me occupied for ages.) What I'd really like is to learn silversmithing and enamelling and that kind of thing rather than just the rather limiting stringing of beads, anyway, but that's just a dream at the moment.

Sorry for writing so much, I always get a bit carried away when talking about crafts!

Posts: 73 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016