homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 12)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome to the ship, Jodi, from another sock addicted knitter. That wool looks beautiful.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finished the socks! I love the effect the slip-stitch pattern has on the colours on the heel. Of course it's far too warm to wear them at the moment, but there we go.

Now I'm working on a pair of vaguely lacy fingerless-mitt-type things for a friend in a gorgeous dark raspberry cotton DK, which shouldn't take long. Assuming nothing goes horribly wrong, which it might, as I'm making the pattern up as I go along.

Posts: 73 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooohh, pretty! [Cool] I'm working on some preemie-sized blankets for the local knitting for babies charity at the moment, but when I'm done, socks are definitely next.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've ben knitting with bamboo needles for the first time and discovered that my thumb doesn't hurt the way it does with metal needles - I was having to stop every 2 rows or so, but I can knit all evening with the bamboo needles. I'm a very happy knitter [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You know, daisydaisy, this really belongs on the praise thread [Biased]

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am way ahead of myself just now, but I am looking for ideas for Christmas tree decorations. Something handmade, something folk-art...

Any ideas?

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

Are you interested in knitting only, or in all kinds of crafty things?

--------------------

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I might make some tiny knitted socks to decorate the tree. I was hoping for non-knitting ideas, especially traditional ones. I love the look of traditional German Christmas trees.

This year, because we have a new house, with a big bay window and high ceilings I shall have a huge tree to play with. I want it to be beautiful.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Papier-mache shapes, especially, stars, moulded and painted? Make them now in the summer (your summer, not mine) then they'll have the sun to dry in, and paint them later.
Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For nearer the time, how about making Gingerbread ornaments?

I have also in the past made pompom robins as Christmas decorations.

Spray fir cones silver or gold

Jengie

[ 05. July 2007, 14:53: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't done them for the Christmas tree but for keyrings, but I've bought wooden blanks, hearts and stars in my case, drilled a hole through the top for hanging, and then painted them. I paint them with acrylic paint, add detail with gold or silver pen, and varnish them - unfortunately I find it has to be spray varnish, which I hate because it's so wasteful, otherwise the pen bleeds. But it's amazing how a simple geometric pattern in two colours, not very tidily painted, suddenly looks so beautiful and intricate with a bit of gold pen outlining and a nice shiny finish. They do look rather folk art. In fact I've been thinking of doing some Scandinavian-style ones for Christmas, with a cream base and then simple pictures in red and green.

I'm working on some cable socks, but with 80 stitches on 2mm needles they're taking forEVER! I cast on at least a couple of weeks ago and I'm still only two and a half inches into the first one. It's so tedious that I was tempted to just rip it and start again with something quicker, but it's so beautiful that I can't bring myself to do it. I don't like long legs on my socks anyway so I think I'm just going to do another half an inch, and carry the pattern on just as a fancy rib rather than with the cables for the instep. But it's annoying to have these needles tied up for so long because I only have one set of 2mm and I want them for other things!

I'm still trying to decide what to do with my utterly gorgeous 100g/1500m of laceweight merino. I wanted it to make a little capelet thing, just to go round my shoulders and fasten with a single button at the front, but it's *so* fine and it seems a waste to use it for something that is going to be fairly simple as I'll be making the pattern up myself. I'm thinking I should just get some nice 4ply and save this for a really special shawl, but I want to get started and I can't go buying more yarn at the moment! OTOH, I have four projects on the go already, let alone all the non-knitting stuff, so maybe it's for the best...

Posts: 73 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for something crafty to do to occupy myself during the day, and I'm thinking about card making, as it won't hurt my hands too much. Knitting was painful, and I don't think cross stitch will be too much better. Does anyone have any ideas how I should get started? Which starter kits are good? I made my own wedding invites, which was fun, but I need a project. If anyone has any project ideas/kits I'd be grateful.
Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This website is really good - gives you lots of ideas for projects etc.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have several zillion knitting patterns in the house - despite which, I can never find one that appeals to me. And even if I do, it is never remotely in the yarn that I actually have to hand - which is always a motley heap of leftovers, odd balls from charity shops, sales etc.

So I thought, what would I like - and decided something between a cadigan and a circus tent would be nice. So I've started at a front edge, knitting sideways, a sort of kite shape, with broad diagonal stripes in two colourways - cream/pale green/lime green/torquoise/blue/pale blue/aqua and white/pale pink/fuschia pink/purple/mauve/lilac.

Anyone else created their own designs? How did they turn out?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

Are you going to post a picture when you finish? It sounds beautiful.

Last spring my DD needed a shrug to go with a sleeveless dress. The only childrens patterns we could find were for sweaters or ponchos so I had to come up with my own design. I started with two inches of ribbing at the cuff on one side and increased to the first shoulder, knitted accross the back and decreased back down to the ribbed cuff on the other side. It was all done in garter stitch in a brown, blue, pink and white mottled boucle. It looks like she's wearing a caterpillar when she has it on and she loves it.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I can never find one that appeals to me. And even if I do, it is never remotely in the yarn that I actually have to hand

Let me recommend a book for you, Ann Budd's Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns: Basic Designs in Multiple Sizes and Gauges. It is a 'recipe book' rather than a pattern book. She provides basic recipes for garments, and these are in a range of sizes in a range of different guages. She also provides information on how to adapt the patterns to change the necklines, the sleeve types etc.

If you never find a pattern that is exactly right, then this book is the starting point for you to design your own. A most excellent book.

Something that I saw recently that is absolutely beautiful is the Great American Aran Afghan. It is stunning.

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You may remember that a while back I told you about the rather ugly baby blanket I made - I had a lovely letter from the woman who organises the blanket/clothes distribution. I hope you don't mind me sharing it:
My dear lady, I really want to express my grateful thanks for the lovely blanket that you knitted for the project. The colours are delightful and I must say that you have not chosen the most easiest of patterns. Well done dear!
Now keep in mind that new born babies do not worry a bit about stitches and colourd, but they really enjoy any kind of warm garment, especially as it has been made with lots of love as is the case here."
[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]
Maybe I'd better finish the other blanket that I started but abandoned some while back.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

My cousin has just married. She and her partner lived together for many years, and he had always said "We are fine as we are, so why change?"

They had planned a holiday in the US, and he arranged for a surprise wedding in Las Vaga. He attended to everything, including renting a kilt from Kentucky! It was only as they were going to the court house did he reveal where they were going.

I would like to make a wedding cross stitch sampler for them, and am looking for some ideas as to how to incorporate the Las Vega part into the sampler. It is going to be in shades of blue, with a Celtic knotwork border. Is there something about LV that will fit into this theme?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Outline of Nevada (it's mostly straight lines) with a star/splodge for Las Vegas?
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze, are you acquainted with Elisabeth Zimmerman's knitting books and patterns? It sounds as if you and she would be on the same wavelength.

Does anyone here know where in the UK one can get Manos of Uruguay knitting wool?

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Firenze, are you acquainted with Elisabeth Zimmerman's knitting books and patterns?

I haven't actually come across her. But besides books on conventional design/resizing, I have some on freeform knitting and modular and multi-directional knitting.

This, I think, has what has stirred the desire to stand on the wilder shores of woolitude.

I want ways to incorporate as many colours as possible, a la Kaffe Fassett, but without too much intarsia. At the same time, I want different shapes, rather than just rectangle-for-the-back-ditto-front+two sleeves. And integral edging, since I hate doing separate ribs; and as few seams as possible.

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
Does anyone here know where in the UK one can get Manos of Uruguay knitting wool?

You can buy it in the UK from Loop.
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm going to a wedding, and need to knit a shrug/bolero/thing to wear in church (my dress has shoulder straps rather than sleeves, and I don't like having bare arms in church).

I've not found a pattern I really like on the internet - ideally it would be knit in one piece, with the sleeves done in the round (hand sewing is not one of my giftings), with 3/4 length sleeves, cotton DK weight (about 20st to the inch) yarn.

Does anyone know of a pattern for something like that? Or would it be easy enough to design my own?

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
- ideally it would be knit in one piece, with the sleeves done in the round (hand sewing is not one of my giftings), with 3/4 length sleeves, cotton DK weight (about 20st to the inch) yarn.

Does anyone know of a pattern for something like that? Or would it be easy enough to design my own?

I would think it would be easy to design.

Get your circular needle (4 mm by the sound of it) - you know your tension, so it should be easy to work out the number of stitches to be cast on. Just knit round and round, until you have as much sleeve as you want, then start knitting backwards and forwards, when you want to divide for the body.

I am very into integral edgings, so I would tend to do a cuff/rib to begin with in moss stitch, then keep a strip going when I change to stocking stitch, then split for the body in middle of this, so that there is a continuous edging.

Or you could knit the whole thing in garter stitch, which would be simpler still, and can give a very nice effect with the right yarn. It sounds like a good case for one of those fancy, variegated, multi-texture ones.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I am very into integral edgings, so I would tend to do a cuff/rib to begin with in moss stitch, then keep a strip going when I change to stocking stitch, then split for the body in middle of this, so that there is a continuous edging.

Oooh, I can see it in my head now - I couldn't before, so I was a bit stumped...

Thank you [Big Grin]

--------------------
Website.

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

I'm going to a wedding, and need to knit a shrug/bolero/thing to wear in church (my dress has shoulder straps rather than sleeves, and I don't like having bare arms in church).

The ideas Firenze has given you make me want to try another shrug for someone. But just in case you are still open to other ideas: Did you see this one by any chance?

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTconvertible.html

It is a long, lace rectangle that uses buttons to close the sleeves.

--------------------

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:
Did you see this one by any chance?

http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring06/PATTconvertible.html

It is a long, lace rectangle that uses buttons to close the sleeves.

I looked at that, thought "argh, lace, scary bears!" You have actually prompted me to look at it properly, and it's not scary bears after all...

--------------------
Website.

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

If I do knit something of my own design, I would need to

1. knit a cuff type thing - double moss stitch is pretty. Carry the moss st. up the sleeve.

2. do most of my increases in the sleeve in the round, so when it flattens out it's about as deep as I need it to be across the body.

3. Making sure the moss st is at the edge, flatten out, knitting body with few or no increases.

4. knit across the body until it's as wide as it needs to be

5. Join into the round again, making sure the moss st edgings join up.

6. knit until the other sleeve is as long as the first, finish with double moss st cuff.

Sounds quite easy - what have I missed?

--------------------
Website.

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by rosamundi:
5. Join into the round again, making sure the moss st edgings join up.

That is going to be the trickiest part of it. [Big Grin] But don't worry about it as it will be tucked under your arm.

Shrugs are basically long rectangles with the two ends sewn into tubes (or knitted). You can do all sorts of funky stuff with them, as long as you remember the basic structure.

You could take a simple lace pattern and go with that, or choose stocking stitch or garter stitch. I think it is wise to have a border stitch around the opening, especially if you are going to use stocking stitch. St st curls at the edges, and I don't think that is the look you are after.

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Update on the tenty-kitey thing. I think it is going to work.

I started with about 60 stitches, then increased at one end quite steeply (to form the neck edge) and at the other more gently (to form a sloping bottom edge). When I judged the neck edge long enough, I stopped increasing and knitted straight to form the shoulder. I have done enough for a front, so have now cast off about a quarter of the stitches at the bottom edge. I am continuing to knit straight at the top, but tapering (at the same rate, but decreasing now instead of increasing) at the bottom. All the time, maintaining the diagonal striping of the colours.

With me so far?

I should end up with a knitted heptagon. Knit a matching one for the other side, and a nonagon (since I see me continuing the bottom slope to form a point at the middle back) for the third piece.

It will however involve a seam along the top of the shoulders and the top of the sleeves (as well as sides and underarm).

So any good ideas for rending the seam either invisible or, better still, decorative in some way?

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Update on the tenty-kitey thing.

Any chance of some pics of the work-in-progress?
I'm not very good at visualising [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Any chance of some pics of the work-in-progress?
I'm not very good at visualising [Hot and Hormonal]

There you go. I quite like the way the colours are forming a kind of harlequin pattern.
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There you go. I quite like the way the colours are forming a kind of harlequin pattern.

It's looking good!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
Update on the tenty-kitey thing. I think it is going to work.

<snip>
It will however involve a seam along the top of the shoulders and the top of the sleeves (as well as sides and underarm).

So any good ideas for rending the seam either invisible or, better still, decorative in some way?

Nicky Epstein has a couple of books that might give you some ideas for this. Knitting Over the Edge might be the best one for your purpose.

After looking at your pictures, I would suggest a single color I-cord along the seams to accentuate them. But if you have something fancier in mind the Epstein books are the way to go.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While on holiday I got some rocks [Smile]
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone ever found a published pattern to be incorrect? I started knitting a sweater for a baby gift and have run into a variety of problems. Here's the first one: The pattern was basically stockinette stitch that reversed itself every so many stitches and rows so that you ended up with "boxes" where some of the purl rows were on the outside. At least that's what the photograph on the front of the pattern had. What I've ended up with is something more resembling thick ribbing. Long "stripes" of stockinette stitch. After two attempts, I gave up on what was printed and made up my own. It looks more like the photograph on the pattern. Has anyone ever run into such a thing? I'm a rookie knitter, but I thought I could read a pattern!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

The first thing I do with any printed pattern is Google it for an errata page. I think most if not all of the major publishers have them. Sometimes the errors are not too difficult to correct yourself, but many times they are already done for you.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Badfundie, I had no idea these existed! Sure enough, the yarn company's website had corrections available to download for several patterns, including mine. (Now if I could get the pdf file to download in a readable format... but that's a different problem.) I can't wait to see what's different! Thank you so much, Badfundie. This will be something I'll check faithfully!

Now, on to the next big problem. Speaking of things one should do as a first step: I've knit a few baby sweaters before but never made a swatch to check my gauge. And boy, did that present a problem this time. I'm making this baby sweater in a 6-12 month size on size 6 needles. Well, I finished the back and it's huuuuge. I held it up to my 2-year-old nephew and it's big on him. So, I made a swatch and the number of stitches that were supposed to be 4 inches wide came out to over 6 inches! So here's my dilemma: Should I just finish up the sweater as I've started it? Will it come out proportionally OK but just a larger size? Or am I better off ripping the back apart and starting over on smaller needles? (After making sure the gauge is OK, of course.) Talk about learning something the hard way! Suggestions?

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

Mama, PM me the URL of the .pdf and I'll put it into plain text or Word for you.

Swatching is very important if you want the knitted items to fit. I would rip out the back that you have knitted already and swatch.

The width of the front, back & sleeves will be in the right proportion. However, often patterns say "continue in this way until the item is X inches long". This will mean that the garment will be wide and squat and not fir a normal 2 year old.

The texture of the fabric will be rather different from the intended one; it will be much less dense and possibly even holey. It will be liable to distortion during wearing and washing.

I would rip back and swatch. With an item for a baby you can often swatch by knitting a sleeve or a front. Just start knitting then measure, but you have to be prepared to rip back and make changes if it doesn't work.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Wide and squat is exactly how it looks, babybear. I will commence ripping. And I've PM'd you the url -- thank you so much.

If I ever finish this thing, I'll post a picture of it! Thanks to all!

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My jumper - my first ever attempt - is coming out too small, so I knitted a stripe to join on to the front and back. It now looks nothing like the pattern, but I'm going to wear it no matter what!

Meanwhile, I am waiting eagerly for my new spinning wheel to arrive! I've just bought it on ebay from a lady who got it a year ago (also on ebay) but who never managed to learn to spin on it - so I'm hoping I'll have better luck!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Eigon - have you considered Modular knitting?

It's a technique where you knit in a piece (square, triangle, strip, semi-circle) with first/last stitches which are very easy to pick up, so that you can then extend the knit in whatever direction you wish, until it is the size/shape you want.

Here is an example in progress.

Here is a finished piece.

Both are based on the simplest of shapes.

birdie

fowl
# 2173

- Posted      Profile for birdie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Babybear, I thought I'd posted my favourite Christmas craft here but I must have imagined it!

Last Christmas I made hundreds of these out of brown parcel wrapping paper, and threaded them onto gold thread, with two tiny red beads between each of them, to put on the tree instead of tinsel.

They looked absolutely brilliant, although I don't have a photo (sorry). Making the stars is dead easy once you get into a rhythm, if you see what I mean. Good mindless-in-front-of-the-tv-when-exhausted craft. I think the proportions of my paper strips was different to those given in the link - maybe a little narrower, but you can experiment.

--------------------
"Gentlemen, I wash my hands of this weirdness."
Captain Jack Sparrow

Posts: 1290 | From: the edge | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze - I've never heard of modular knitting before. It looks just the sort of thing that would suit me! Thanks!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Nae problem.

I would recommend Vivian Hoxbro's 'Domino Knitting' as a simple introduction to the technique.

Ginger Luters book is also very easy to follow.

sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just started doing a bit of patchwork. My grandmother gave me a bag that one of her friends gave her, and it inspired me to do something a bit more complicated than the stripy quilt I would be sewing if I hadn't broken my friends sewing machine. So I've made 4 smallish squares with stars on them and am sewing them together to make a cushion cover for a friend. I was for a christmas present, but I suspect she'll get it before then.

I'm enjoying it, and can tell I'm getting better as I'm having to unpick less.

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Does anyone here know a rough guide to the percentage of yarn in the sleeves & body of a knitted sweater? For example, is it about 60% in the body and 40% in the sleeves? Is there a "sweater-ulator" like this sockulator that helps calculate yarn requirements for socks?
Or is this something that varies too much to be even vaguely estimated? I realise it will depend on the length of the body part - I'm hoping to knit one that ends on the hips from the unpickings of a jumper that I began rather a long time ago, and as it will be a larger size than is included in the original pattern I wonder how much extra yarn I'll neet to get. As the original yarn is no longer produced I'd rather like to merge the new yarn into the body of the sweater, rather than have a band of it across the shoulders, although maybe that is what I'll end up doing.

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Does anyone here know a rough guide to the percentage of yarn in the sleeves & body of a knitted sweater? For example, is it about 60% in the body and 40% in the sleeves?

For a fairly normal sweater, the sleeves take up about 3/4 of the back. If a sleeve takes 3 balls, the back will take 4, giving a total of 14 balls. 6/14th of the yarn will go into the sleeves, which is about 43% - extremely close to the 40% you suggested.

If you are knitting a raglan then a bit more will be used on the sleeves, but that will be 'reclaimed' from the front and back'.

If you have a yarn shop that does 'lay by', it is a good idea to knit a front or a sleeve. Weigh the sleeve and use it to work out how much yarn you need. Then you make sure that you have that much, plus one extra set aside for you.

---
This applies to adult sweaters. Babies don't have the same proportions as adults and so the ratio doesn't work as well with them. Children are between the two.

[ 20. August 2007, 08:30: Message edited by: babybear ]

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Many thanks babybear - I suspected you might know [Smile]
The "lay by" system works well, except this time I began knitting about 20 years ago [Hot and Hormonal] and I can't even remember where I bought the yarn (if I used lay-by I suspect/hope they'll have sold it by now). So now I aim to divide the unravelled wool following these proportions then get a similar type of wool (it is by Rowan and I've emailed them to ask what they suggest using) to blend in (or maybe contrast?) with the other 3 shades, hopefully putting some aside on "lay by".
I am also considering modular knitting - thank you all for showing me this technique. Do you think it is suitable for wool that is slightly thicker than DK?

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I am also considering modular knitting - thank you all for showing me this technique. Do you think it is suitable for wool that is slightly thicker than DK?

The item I refer to in the OP is knit in 'modules'. The yarn supplied in the kit is of different types and thicknesses, so I would say that the answer is 'yes'.
I found this method of constructing a piece of knitting very enjoyable, although the mix of colours in the kit is a little disappointing so it didn't get finished before the spring and the garden called me away.
If I ever finish it, I'll post a photograph [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  9  10  11  12  13  14  15  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016