homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I am also considering modular knitting - thank you all for showing me this technique. Do you think it is suitable for wool that is slightly thicker than DK?

I think it would be very suitable. The simplest shape (the mitred square) works best in garter stitch, so it is lends itself to tweedy effects and subtle variations - ideal for knitting together different dye lots.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you - I'll post a photo when it is finished, hopefully in less than 20 yrs though [Big Grin]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In honor of International Talk Like a Pirate day, I would like to post the following link:

Knit Like a Pirate

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been browsing quite a few knitting websites lately looking for funky patterns (I particularly like knitty.com) and most of them seem to be American. Which isn't a problem in the sense that I've found me a translation guide to interpret needle sizes, and I know that 'worsted' is 'aran' etc. But I do have one question: what's with all the circular needles?! Everything I fancy knitting seems to be on circular needles! And I have access to a big box of straight needles but no circular ones.

Is it possible for a fairly inexperienced knitter to knit a circular pattern on straight needles? If not, how hard will I find the transition to The Bendy Ones™?

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hazey*Jane:
Is it possible for a fairly inexperienced knitter to knit a circular pattern on straight needles? If not, how hard will I find the transition to The Bendy Ones™?

It depends (ducking!). First, double-check if the patterns are having you knit in the round, or if they're just using circulars because they kinda center the weight of the work, or the work is really large. If they're using circs because that's what the author likes and you actually are knitting back-and-forth, the only question becomes "are my straights long enough to hold all the stitches."

There are ways to work convert from circular to flat knitting. I've converted a very simple pattern from flat to circular, IIRC it was vest (er, sleeveless sweater/jumper thingy - I know there's a pond difference in knitwear terminology!), and that wasn't particularly difficult, but I haven't gone the other route.

How you attack a conversion partially depends on what you're making - shape, type of knitting, etc. In general, you may want to add a stitch or two at each end for seam allowance. You also have to remember that you'll be working back on the back-side rows. So, if you want to produce stockinette, instead of just doing umpteen rounds of knit stitch, you'll be doing knit rows on the front and purl rows on the back. No biggie for one-color stockinette. For fair-isle or other colorwork, you have to remember to keep your floats on the proper side (I hate hate hate doing colorwork flat, but that's a personal hangup based on how I hold the yarn, other people have no problem). For lace or textured work, you need to at least mentally reverse your knits and purls, etc.

I learned to knit on straights, then quickly (like after one scarf) moved on to double-points for hats and mittens. After some jog issues with hats on DPs I picked up a couple circulars, and didn't find getting used to them much of an issue. I have more issue with differences in various brands of circulars than differences between them and straights - some have really lumpy spots where the cable sticks on, abrupt transitions, etc. So if you can, try a couple different brands/styles before deciding if you like them or not.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Everything I fancy knitting seems to be on circular needles! And I have access to a big box of straight needles but no circular ones.

Is it possible for a fairly inexperienced knitter to knit a circular pattern on straight needles?

Post a link to what you fancy knitting and I (and i'm sure others will too) will take a quick look at it and see how easy it would be to convert to flat knitting.

I convert everything to knitting in the round if I possibly can (unless the seams are needed for stability and shaping) because I hate to purl - cardiganised Rogue knit in the round and steeked for the zip anyone? Oh, just me then...

You might find it easier to knit in the round - I had no difficulties converting to circular needles and now use them almost exclusively for knitting anything other than socks, which I knit on DPN's (I know, I know, magic loop, but I really really like DPN's).

Anyway, link to a couple of possible patterns, and i'll have a look.

LMM

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
I hate to purl - cardiganised Rogue knit in the round and steeked for the zip anyone? Oh, just me then...

I don't know understand why people are in such fear of steeking. It is such a tried and tested technique.

quote:
I had no difficulties converting to circular needles and now use them almost exclusively for knitting anything other than socks, which I knit on DPN's (I know, I know, magic loop, but I really really like DPN's).
I use my circs for absolutely everything. I have given away all of my straight needles. Circs are much more comfortable in my hands and don't cause problems for my wrists. I knit socks on either mini-circs (30cm long) or on two circs. I find these so much better than magic loop.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
quote:
Everything I fancy knitting seems to be on circular needles! And I have access to a big box of straight needles but no circular ones.

Is it possible for a fairly inexperienced knitter to knit a circular pattern on straight needles?

Post a link to what you fancy knitting and I (and i'm sure others will too) will take a quick look at it and see how easy it would be to convert to flat knitting.

Well, thinking about it, I'm willing to give circular needles a go. But I'd appreciate it if somebody could have a quick look to see if these patterns are feasible for a circular newbie:
Cardi
Shawl
Jumper

No hurry though. I'm only a fifth of the way through my current project. As you can see, I like subtle, pastel shades. [Big Grin]

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All of those patterns would be suitable for a circ newbie.

The shawl uses an extra long circ and just works back and forth across the the knitting. The shawl starts with a huge number of stitches on the needle, but loses 4 each alternate row. Later you go back to those stitches and pick them up and then increase like crazy, giving over 3000 stitches on the needle! You will definitely need to have a very long needle for that! Just be prepared for the frill to take for ever to do.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm another circular needle lover. I got a whole set of bamboo ones, all sizes, for about £20 on ebay. In fact a couple of them broke but they are still very good value. I now also have a set of Denises and a few metal thinner ones (Denises only go down to 3.75mm and I knit very loosely) but the bamboo set was great as a starter and I still use most of them. Other places will sell one circular needle for £5 or so.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Later you go back to those stitches and pick them up and then increase like crazy, giving over 3000 stitches on the needle!

Yikes! I hadn't read that far into the pattern.

I think maybe I'll just enjoy looking at the picture and knit the cardigan instead!

rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just started knitting a blanket that's worked in five vertical sections and then sewn up.

Hah. Who are they kidding? Hand-sewing is not one of my giftings. So I'm knitting it in one go, as five vertical stripes. Anyone any suggestions for stopping my knitting bag resembling the aftermath of a nasty fight in a string factory? I can see it all getting awfully tangled...

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Put each individual ball of yarn in its own ziplock bag (or whatever plastic sandwich bag you prefer). Close up the bag so that you can just feed out the yarn as you need it. It's not pretty, but it works.

--------------------

Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Well, thinking about it, I'm willing to give circular needles a go. But I'd appreciate it if somebody could have a quick look to see if these patterns are feasible for a circular newbie:
Cardi
Shawl
Jumper

No hurry though. I'm only a fifth of the way through my current project. As you can see, I like subtle, pastel shades. [Big Grin]

I agree with the others who have said you should have no trouble with any of these patterns. The cardigan and the shawl are both knitted back and forth (at least, most of the shawl is).

The vest, however, involves knitting in the round. Nothing hard about that, but I'd strongly recommend that you do a tension "square" (aka guage swatch) both knitting in the round and knitting back and forth. My tension varies dramatically between to two, and if I don't change needles when I make the transition at the armhole shaping, the difference is clearly visible to the naked eye. (Maybe not from a trotting pony;), but very definitely visible to me.) [Disappointed]

To establish your knitting-in-the-round tension, you basically make an oversized I-cord - cast on 40 or so stitches on a circular needle, knit to the end of the row. Don't turn your work, but slide the stitches along so you're set to knit them again. Carry the yarn loosely across the back of your work, and knit again. Repeat as many times as you need to measure both stitch and row tension. Compare with stitch and row guage knitting back and forth.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Thanks. I'll give it a try [Smile]
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:
Put each individual ball of yarn in its own ziplock bag (or whatever plastic sandwich bag you prefer). Close up the bag so that you can just feed out the yarn as you need it. It's not pretty, but it works.

I was drinking a coffee from a Big Evil Chain when I had a great idea for this - I put my balls of wool in plastic cups, covered them with clingfilm stuck down with sellotape, and made a hole in the top for the wool to come through. Then I lined them up in a row (there were 13 - eek!) and moved them around like chess pieces when I needed to change to the next one. I looked and felt like a maypole, but it worked.

I guess you could use the actual cups, but I don't like frappocinos that much!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been busy making Christmas cards. Here are some of my recent offerings.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know why I haven't joined this thread earlier. I am a big knitting fan. It's really great to see so many knitters around and the craft of knitting is alive and kicking even though so many wool shops are now closed. I am currently knitting an Aran jumper for a friend. I am hoping it will be finished in time for Christmas, although where he is will be boiling hot. [Big Grin]
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My knitting has been rather sidelined for the moment by:

a) work
b) writing a novel (doing NaNoWriMo this year)
c) creating costume for masked ball (yards and yards of black satin and miles of silver lace)

but when I get back to it, I have yummy new knitting pattern book: knits all based on the kimono - many of them ankle-length.

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

My Real Life has been put on hold for Christmas knitting. I just finished one of these in light blue:

cowl

Next I have to finish three hats, a scarf and a sweater. And there's a baby coat that needs to be done by Saturday to bring to a baby shower.

Firenze, will you be posting a photo of the masked ball costume? It sounds great.

[Repaired code. Mamacita, Heavenly Host]

[ 12. November 2007, 02:46: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That cowl looks great, BadFundie. I've done a couple of moebius scarves and the technique seems to intrigue people.

BTW, there is a duplicate of http// in your link. I had to delete one so I could see it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:
Firenze, will you be posting a photo of the masked ball costume? It sounds great.

I am going to build a camera pocket into the overskirt. I think the whole occasion promises to be Something Else. I shall be going as the Queen of the Night, partnered by Gentleman, 1760. The hostess will be the Snow Queen, with her consort, the Fire Elemental.

[ 11. November 2007, 21:20: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

BTW, there is a duplicate of http// in your link. I had to delete one so I could see it.

Ooops [Hot and Hormonal] Thanks for the repair, Mamacita.

That must be my sign from above that I shouldn't post and knit at the same time.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
That must be my sign from above that I shouldn't post and knit at the same time.
Dang, you're good. My mother-in-law could read the newspaper and knit at the same time. Were the dear departed lady here, she would give you a [Overused]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been given a carrier bag full of Afghan hound fur to spin. It's so soft, and such a lovely caramel colour.
Now I just need a few clear hours to really get the hang of my new spinning wheel!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sparkle.
Shipmate
# 11520

- Posted      Profile for Sparkle.   Author's homepage   Email Sparkle.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just as long as it doesn't smell like those Afghan coats people used to wear [Biased] (pass the patchouli oil!)
Posts: 88 | From: the nether reaches of Croydon, UK | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle.:
Just as long as it doesn't smell like those Afghan coats people used to wear [Biased] (pass the patchouli oil!)

I think they were made of goat (which would account for the smell).
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by Sparkle.:

I think they were made of goat (which would account for the smell).
I could never tell whether the smell was from the coats or the people wearing them. Either could have been "goaty".

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I need to boast that I've made 32 Christmas cards out of red card, gold ribbon and gold sticky stars + a bit of calligraphy. If I had a digital camera I'd post a piccie, but I don't.
I'm very proud though.

I think this year's design is easier to make in bulk than last years, which was a painted snow scene, with silvery highlights. But it looked good, (though I say it myself!)

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I can't smell anything much from the bag of fur - but I do have a dog of my own, which might be blunting my senses!
(Maybe this is my mild super-weakness?)

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
does anyone have any sock or glove patterns for 7 or 7.5 mm dpns? I've started knitting socks and have mcgyvered a pattern but whilst the heel is turned it doens't look right and I'm being fussy.

My efforts at gloves have been more hap hazard...I seem to be consistantly increasing at the wrong place, and no matter where the increase/decrease is it's in the wrong place...

I think patterns would be helpful...

Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

This pattern uses size 9 US needles, but maybe you could tweak it to work. gloves

There is a glove pattern with a cabled cuff that actually uses size 7 in the book, Oneskein by Leigh Radford. It's also good because it works for men or women and the shaping is designed so that either glove will fit either hand.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by sophs:
does anyone have any sock or glove patterns for 7 or 7.5 mm dpns? I've started knitting socks and have mcgyvered a pattern but whilst the heel is turned it doens't look right and I'm being fussy.

I take it you are happy with the start of the sock. If so, then let me know how many stitches you have and I can make a pattern for turning the heel.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heels by number

All you ever needed to know about numbers for heels. Lots of styles.

Save as bookmark beccause it's not always easy to find in a search.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Seeming double post but on two separate days. That link above which I gave for heels by number is very useful for a variety of heels, although I often do shortrow heels on 60% of total number of stitches.

Here's my latest pair of socks. It's warming up down here and socks are ideal summer knitting as they are not big and bulky and hot. The legs on these are much longer than they appear in the photo. Camera has foreshortened them and the colour is not tremendous either. It's really a café au lait colour.

There's lots more knitting and especially socks on the rest of the knitting blog.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a question about yarn substitution. I want to make this but the recommended yarn is silk and rather pricey.

So what would people recommend? I was thinking something in cotton or cotton/linen as it's obviously a summer garment.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
I have a question about yarn substitution. I want to make this but the recommended yarn is silk and rather pricey.

So what would people recommend? I was thinking something in cotton or cotton/linen as it's obviously a summer garment.

A benefit of silk is that it is light, and you might find this pretty garment becomes heavy if you make it in cotton. How about bamboo which I found to be lighter than cotton?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What about soy yarn?

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
What about soy yarn?

That is very cool. It looks pretty and the fact that it's made from manufacturing waste is amazing.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

I have knitted and crocheted with soy yarn, specifically the South West Trading Company's soy yarn. I couldn't get a decent tension with the knitting, but it crocheted absolutely beautifully.

Soy yarn is so much better for the environment than cotton. I have seen estimates that say that 24-35% of pesticides used in the world are used on American cotton plants. Add into this the amount of chemical contaminants that are used in the processing of cotton and it becomes easy to see that cotton is not quite the wholesome fibre that people assume.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

A lady in our local Stitch n Bitch group has just come back from Katmandu with some of the most gorgeous silk yarn. It's made from recycled saris, and the colours are wonderful and rich.
We were all deeply envious when she showed it to us, and she has already knitted up a sturdy little shoulder bag as a Christmas present with some of the yarn.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

Recycled sari yarn is available in the UK from Angel Yarns, and they are happy to post to anywhere in the world.
sophs

Sardonic Angel
# 2296

- Posted      Profile for sophs   Author's homepage   Email sophs   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by sophs:

I take it you are happy with the start of the sock. If so, then let me know how many stitches you have and I can make a pattern for turning the heel.
It's 30 stitches. I like big thick wool!
Posts: 5407 | From: searching saharas of sorrow | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
I have knitted and crocheted with soy yarn, specifically the South West Trading Company's soy yarn. I couldn't get a decent tension with the knitting, but it crocheted absolutely beautifully.

Soy yarn is so much better for the environment than cotton. I have seen estimates that say that 24-35% of pesticides used in the world are used on American cotton plants. Add into this the amount of chemical contaminants that are used in the processing of cotton and it becomes easy to see that cotton is not quite the wholesome fibre that people assume.

SWTC also sells a yarn made from corn that IME is a little easier to work with than soy. You might even want to try banana silk which is similar in texture to sari silk.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for input on little-itty-bitty diameter double-point knitting needles, as in 2mm diameter (US 0) or smaller.

Normally, I use wooden and bamboo needles, mostly Clover bamboo in the smaller sizes. I've got them down to either 2.25 or 2.5 mm (US 1), and I get a little nervous at times about breaking them. I think I saw some Crystal Palace 2 mm bamboo once, but I didn't grab them. I've got some Boye aluminum needles in the 2.0 - 3.5 mm range, but I'm just not as happy with them as with the wood.

Not sure if it's the flexibility thing (my small wood/bamboo needles develop a curve after a while, which I don't worry about), but I'm not convinced as my larger ones stay straight. I don't think it's a weight question. Maybe slipperiness? Maybe point pointeness? Maybe all of the above, in an act of consumerism-karma for going to Hobby Lobby (craft mega-store) instead of a Real Yarn Store?

Anyway, I'm willing to replace the Boye needles with something else if I think I might like them better, and I'm also considering purchasing some even smaller needles - down to 1.25 mm (us 0000) for some fancy Latvian mittens. I prefer sets of 5, but I don't have a problem with buying 2 sets of 4 (or three sets, that way I can work both halves of a pair at once).

What's your favorite brand for very small needles? Your least favorite? Whyfor?

I originally posted this to my blog, feel free to respond there if you'd prefer.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Otter - my newest set of dpn are 2.75 mm and made of rosewood. I love them to bits, and the woman at the LYS had them in smaller sizes too.

http://www.lanternmoon.com/soxStix.asp

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

The smallest size here www.knittingonthego.com is 0, but they don't slip and they are flexible and I haven't broken one yet. The rosewood ones mentioned above are really nicer, but I am more concerned about breaking or losing them for that reason.

--------------------

Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
2mm dpns are my favourite for knitting socks. I mostly use Clover ones which I'm very happy with, but I recently tried out Crystal Palace ones after hearing everyone gush about them for so long. To be honest I really can't tell much difference, except that the CP are maybe a bit bendier, which for me is not a good thing. They're similar enough that if I bought another set I wouldn't particularly choose one over the other, I'd just go for whichever is easiest for me to buy at the time.

I have the same problem, though, that I would like to knit on some smaller sizes but much prefer bamboo/wood to metal. The metal needles I'm planning to try in smaller sizes (when I eventually get round to it) are HiyaHiyas, I've heard many good things about them. I want to get some 1.25s in the 4" length just to show off to people! (5" is my favourite, but I mostly have to use 6"ish as it's the closest I can get.)

I've been totally coveting the Knitpicks Harmony needles since they came out, and I'm so happy to see that they will soon be available in Britain, yippee!

Posts: 73 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

Thanks to everyone for the input! The Comfort Zone needles Badfundie pointed out look especially nifty.

Friday afternoon I ran down to one of my semi-local yarn stores, and picked up some itty-bitty Addi needles, and some very nice fingering-ish weight silk/wool blend, in purple, a green that's almost teal, and red. I started a mitten for my MIL last night with the purple and green on my brand-shiny new size 00/1.75 mm needles, and quickly realized that although the skeins look great next to each other, the colors are too close, so at that size stitches the patterning was going to be subtle to the point of invisibility. I've got some nice white sock yarn, so today I'll try that with the red.

I didn't get far enough with the new needles to really be able to make a decision, but I think the length (20 cm) may actually be more comfortable than my other metal DPs, which are a bit shorter (don't have any handy to check the length).

Friday I also hit the local fabric store to pick up some fabric I'd ordered, and found flannel at 99 cents/yard. We came home with a lot of it. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This seems like a very knitty thread! Which is lovely.

I'm a crocheter (among other things) and am wondering if there is a crochet thread, or if there are other crochet enthusiasts here as well?

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016