homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EB, this is a knitty, crochety, cross-stitchy, sewingy crafts-of-all-kinds thread - post away! [Biased]

A

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I am also considering modular knitting - thank you all for showing me this technique. Do you think it is suitable for wool that is slightly thicker than DK?

I think it would be very suitable. The simplest shape (the mitred square) works best in garter stitch, so it is lends itself to tweedy effects and subtle variations - ideal for knitting together different dye lots.
This evening I finished my modular / domino knit jumper just in time to take to much colder climes than southern England! On Friday I'm off to northern Norway (hopefully for some Northern Lights spotting) and I suspect I might be glad to have it.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you Adrienne, I am nearing completion on my 2nd (crocheted) baby afghan for the year. This one is in Bernat pink yarn, with a bit of a pearlized thread in it. Don't have it with me presently, but it's very soft, lovely, gentle pink yarn. The afghan is in a v-stitch and is coming out quite well. I'm a bit late, as the sweet little baby is newly here (!) but I'm sure the baby will still be able to use it.

Then in a few days, I'll be on to crocheted Christmas ornaments. I enjoy making crocheted lace covers for Christmas balls, among other things. Am also working on some cross-stitched ornaments, as they are easier to carry on public transportation.

Those are some current projects - would be so very happy to be in contact with other crocheters here!!!! It is a well-loved hobby of mine. I have others too....calligraphy...origami...etc.

Peace,
ErinBear

[ 27. November 2007, 00:37: Message edited by: ErinBear ]

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dear Daisy,

I just saw your photo of your domino jumper - it is a beautiful thing! What gorgeous knitting! Well done!

: - )

Blessings,
ErinBear

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
ErinBear,
This thread encompasses all the needle arts as well as other handicrafts. If you have a question about crochet, or want to share something of your accomplishments, have at it! You'll find fellow crocheters here.

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do cross stitch and a little knitting. I've just finished a cross stitch for my cousin's baby son. It's a rocking-horse surrounded by old-fashioned toys - train, teddy bear, toy fort etc. It's currently being framed and I can't wait to see it.

Meanwhile I've been trying to use up stuff that's been in my craft drawers forever. I have a load of space-dyed threads (ie the colours vary) and couldn't decide what to do with them. I also had some plastic canvas. So I ended up making coasters and keyrings which I've given away to friends.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
This evening I finished my modular / domino knit jumper just in time to take to much colder climes than southern England! On Friday I'm off to northern Norway (hopefully for some Northern Lights spotting) and I suspect I might be glad to have it.

Oh well done! Were you working to a pattern or your own design? The colours are lovely too. I am using something the same combo - deep reds + notes of dark blue/green - for the log-cabin modular I am currently working on. Which I must tell myself to finish for Christmas.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you - I am pleased (relieved!) with the result. I didn't have a pattern but based the shape on a favourite jumper. The sleeves are tighter than I'd like, but I can live with that.
The reds were from a jumper I started knitting over 20 years ago to a Kaffe Fasset pattern, but as I almost finished the 2nd sleeve I realised I'd run out of one of the colours. So instead of going out & buying another hank I panicked and stopped knitting it!! In the summer I discovered the unfinished jumper and decided to start again - and to make sure I had enough yarn I got the blue (trying to match another red would be tricky) and I am so glad that I did because I think that this contrasting colour gives it an added dimension. But to my amusement I find that I have a complete hank of the darker red left over, along with a hank of the blue!!
So I feel a hat coming on! However, I have 2 other hats to knit first as Christmas presents.

[spelling]

[ 27. November 2007, 08:47: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, the joy of stash! I started the current work because I saw this beautiful variegated red yarn in Jn Lewis and thought it would go with some other reds/colours I already had. I find that now, of course, they are out of it, so the I have had to get another red (of which I will doubtless have a residue).

But that's the great thing about either modular or intarsia - every leftover is just a springboard to a yet more gorgeous combo.

beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah yes, the joys of the stash. I'm working on stash reduction with my Christmas knitting. I've been rummaging through and picking two different yarns and using them together.

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just what is it about the stash? I have been trying to not buy wool and use stash wool for months now. Mostly I've succeeded but I did get a pile online the other day on special from Bendigo Woollen Mills, affectionately known down here as Bendi wool.* Always a good price, on special even better, good wool, 200 gm balls. The alpaca which is a new line is beautiful too. I could sit an contemplate and pet it for hours.

But, back to stash wool. I truly think this is a first cousin to wire coathangers which breed in the back of the wardrobe. [Big Grin] I've made enough socks for a centipede, some baby jumpers, loads of scarves, hats by the dozen, and the stash doesn't seem any smaller. [Eek!]

*Bendigo (short "i" as in "sit") is a town in country Victoria, Australia. The mill has not long started its webpage. It used to rely on phone or mail orders.

[ 27. November 2007, 19:53: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think the knitter's "stash" must be the equivalent of the reader's TBR* pile /mountain. I have both [Hot and Hormonal]

*TBR= To Be Read

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

The trouble is, there's always The Sale.

With wool shops few and far between, at least in the UK, if you pass one (actually, I have never passed one: I've always gone in) with a sale on, you have to buy stuff.

Or even if it hasn't a sale, because they are so f.a.f.b. you have to buy stuff.

And if you are in a foreign land, where they are actually quite frequent, clearly you need to seize the opportunity and buy stuff.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a Finished Object [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee] [Yipee]

Photos will be forthcoming. But I had to post now.

My first ever Finished Object!!!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here they are:

a knitted Gir

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Congratulations on the FO and the great new wheel. [Big Grin]

ETA: Today was my birthday and my DH got me an Ashford Kiwi! I plan to put it together tomorrow. [Yipee]

[ 30. November 2007, 06:06: Message edited by: Badfundie ]

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Wheeee!

Presented the Gir and Piggy to my personal trainer this morning. There was much delight and squealing.

I'm not actually a spinner (yet) - at work on day I expressed interest in a wheel that was advertised in the for sales in the newspaper and a colleague mentioned she had one just sitting around in her house if I wanted to buy it. Of course, I said yet but never quite got around to paying her. Then one day she arrive at work with it in her car. I think she had grown tired of dusting the thing, as she never intended to spin, but had it as a decorator item.

--------------------

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

*Bendigo (short "i" as in "sit") is a town in country Victoria, Australia. The mill has not long started its webpage. It used to rely on phone or mail orders.

They need all the help they can get to sell thier products if others have a similar experience to us.

I visted the mills in Bendigo last August whilst on holidays and would never purchase from them again. The woman behind the counter was so disinterested in any of her customers or of being of help, stopping just short of total rudeness.

I thought at first it was because we were two blokes and what would we know about knitting??

Little did she know we both had been knitting for longer than she had been on this earth and the jumpers we were wearing that day had indeed been knitted by us.

We were there about half an hour checking out all their wonderful products and this same woman treated every other customer with the same contempt.

I would have sought another staff member but she was working alone.

The friends we were staying with urged us to let the tourist office in Bedigo know but I declined and elected to vote with my wallet. I will never purchase their wool again. As good as it is to knit with, I will use another brand/source.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sorry to hear about the service you had. [Frown]

When I used to phone, the service was wonderful and goods were on my doorstep in a couple of days. Person on other end of line was always polite, even to the "hint, hint" question about sock wool which theoretically they don't carry.

I think the website has vastly increased their business, because the last order was over a week.

Same with shops here in the city. I won't use the one at Hornsby because assistants are too busy with personal conversations to help and are very snooty if you can get their attention. I was told the needles I asked about didn't exist, despite showing her a new set I had with me, bought in Australia.

Just for my own information, is there a decent wool shop in Newcastle, NSW? I visit sometimes. I know most of them in Sydney and suburbs, Penrith and South Coast and Southern Tablelands but nothing about further north. Also Nundle Mill where the wool is nice but I often have to pick out straw etc.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Dennis the Menace
Shipmate
# 11833

- Posted      Profile for Dennis the Menace   Email Dennis the Menace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Just for my own information, is there a decent wool shop in Newcastle, NSW? I visit sometimes. I know most of them in Sydney and suburbs, Penrith and South Coast and Southern Tablelands but nothing about further north. Also Nundle Mill where the wool is nice but I often have to pick out straw etc.

Lothlorien: Apart from Spotlight who have a very limited range, I have yet to find a wool shop here. There is a listing in the yellow pages for one in the outer 'burbs but have yet to check it out. I don't do much knitting since moving back here two years. I find it too warm/humid to handle wool for too long and besides we need very few jumpers here. I do, however, do charity knitting with acrylic yarn (ugh!!) to keep my skills up.

--------------------
"Till we cast our crowns before Him; Lost in wonder, love, and praise."

Posts: 853 | From: Newcastle NSW Australia | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Gay Organ Grinder:
quote:

Lothlorien: Apart from Spotlight who have a very limited range, I have yet to find a wool shop here. There is a listing in the yellow pages for one in the outer 'burbs but have yet to check it out. I don't do much knitting since moving back here two years. I find it too warm/humid to handle wool for too long and besides we need very few jumpers here. I do, however, do charity knitting with acrylic yarn (ugh!!) to keep my skills up.
Thanks. Just thought I'd ask in case I had some time when visiting.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Are there many shipmates on Ravelry? I joined up last week and spent a lot of time at work putting up photos of my FOs.

I described it to my colleagues as "like myspace, but for knitters".

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I'm on Ravelry as Shalom, but haven't looked for a couple of months. I was exploring and then Real Life took over and I haven't been back. Joined the Aussie sockknitters group and one other, but have forgotten which. Hopefully when life has sorted itself out without interruptions from others, I'll get back. I was one of the reasonably early joiners.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

Should we start a SoF group do you think?

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm back for help again. In August, I posted about a disastrous attempt at a baby sweater, where the back of the sweater -- intended for size 6-12 mo -- was too wide even for my 2-year-old great-nephew. So, I've taken the project up again and started with making a swatch using needles two sizes smaller than the pattern calls for (using US 4 instead of US 6).

Here's the dilemma. The instructions say to make a swatch 22 st wide and 30 rows long, which should measure 4 inches (10 cm). I assume they mean a 4-inch square. Well, it's about 4 inches wide, give or take a stitch. But it's only 2 inches long. Am I doing something wrong? Is it OK to continue making the sweater on the smaller needles but measuring the length carefully as I go? I'm so confused!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You'll have trouble shaping it, if your gauge is off that much.

What yarn are you using? Is it the one recommended for the pattern?

--------------------

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Are there many shipmates on Ravelry? I joined up last week and spent a lot of time at work putting up photos of my FOs.

I described it to my colleagues as "like myspace, but for knitters".

They won't let me in [Waterworks] I had to sign up to be invited later.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Marmacita - I think in that situation I would forget about matching their swatch dimensions. Instead, I would start from the result my actual yarn and needles give me.

So, if I want a piece say 12" wide, I look at my sample swatch and see how many stitches to the inch (or multiple inches - more accurate because it evens out half stitches). Anyway, say it's 7 to the inch - then obviously I need 84 sts for my 12" piece.

The length I can take from the pattern, I needn't count rows.

The other tricky bit is shapings.

If you have a markedly different number of stitches to the pattern, then you need to resize the various increases/decreases proportionally.

For example, on something I'm knitting at the moment, I have had to size up considerably, since I both want a larger garment, and I am using a finer yarn. I have cast on one-fifth more stitches. So when it comes to casting off for the armholes, I need to increase the amount I cast off by a fifth.

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
Are there many shipmates on Ravelry?

I'm on Ravelry, have been for a few months now. I've not been about on the ship much lately and Ravelry is one of the major causes of that.

I'm Mithranstar over there.

LMM

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't usually do Christmas decorations, not because I am lazy, but because I always go to my parents. This year however I am having a little soiree on Saturday evening and I have been told by one of my friends that I *have* to put some decorations up.

I don't want to go the whole sparkly sparkly route, but I want to use natural products and things such as dried oranges etc. I saw some fab dried whole orange garlands, and some with slices, dried chillies etc. at a craft fayre I went to recently. They smelt absolutely divine!

Does anyone have any advice on how to dry these properly?

Any other ideas for natural Christmas decorations?

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Marmacita - I think in that situation I would forget about matching their swatch dimensions. Instead, I would start from the result my actual yarn and needles give me.
<snip>

Thanks, Firenze. That's the route I was going to try, so we'll see what happens. The horizontal gauge seems to be holding OK with the needles taken down two sizes. The size doesn't have to be exact (the baby can always grow into it) but I hope I won't have to get too inventive getting the shape right! So far, the pattern is coming out very pretty [now that I have the corrections from the company's website; I swear, this project is cursed!]. And beachlass, the yarn is a cotton blend -- the kind recommended for the pattern -- so perhaps it's "giving" a little.

[ETA: No "r" in name! [Razz] ]

[ 10. December 2007, 22:44: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

I think it's because I read you as my favourite breakfast food - 'Marmite-cita'

While we're on obscurities in patterns - any opinions on the following:

The pattern I'm working has a bit of lacey, produced by doing yarn over/knit two together. Except for two rows, which are yarn over, slip one, knit one, pull slip stitch over. Abbreviation for this is SKP. But the pattern says 'SK2P'. Does this mean slip, knit, psso twice? or slip, knit two, psso? But in that case, why not knit the two together? No variant seems to result in anything that actually looks like the pattern.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

I've made a "Ship of Fools" group on Ravelry!

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I took a look at the Ravelry site, and have seen a Baby Surprise Jacket for the first time.
I've rather fallen for it, even though it sounds as though the instructions are difficult to follow. Sadly, I can't find a UK supplier for the pattern - unless I want to pay £25-£30+ for one of Elizabeth Zimmerman's books.
I'm certainly going to keep my eye open for it in second hand bookshops, and try requesting it at the library

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I ... have seen a Baby Surprise Jacket for the first time.

You can get the pattern for $5 from Loop Yarns.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
You can get the pattern for $5 from Loop Yarns.

plus $11.95 shipping
[Frown]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:

I think it's because I read you as my favourite breakfast food - 'Marmite-cita'
Not a problem. It's a mistake that a number of UK shipmates make and it always makes me chuckle. And raises my curiosity about marmite, but that's a story for another thread.

--------------------

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

Dear Auntie Doris,

I saw your post about natural Christmas decorations. I know that one can dry tomatoes, for instance, in the oven - set on the lowest heat. In the case of the orange slices, I imagine you'd want to cut them in good slices (1/4 inch?) and a draining rack plus baking sheet combo, so the slices will have the oven air surrounding them, but any juices won't hit the bottom of the oven. Alternatively, you could just use a plain baking sheet, but I'd be inclined to line it with something (parchment? foil?) because I think the orange slices would be inclined to stick. Other citrus slices can be sliced and dried as well. I've seen lemon and grapefruit slices in the past too, and apple slices used decoratively as well (although I think they need to be treated with lemon to avoid browning). As far as the garlands you've mentioned, I've seen ones like it, with cinnamon sticks blended in, which smell good as well as being attractive. Sometimes you can buy these things in bulk for the purpose of decorating and they are cheaper.

Other natural decorations I've seen at Christmas are pine cones, sea shells, dried flowers (roses especially), wreaths made of natural elements, baskets filled with fruit (apples, pears, oranges, pomegranates, nuts, and so forth)....poinsettias of course....sometimes forced bulbs, like amaryllis, paperwhites, hyacinths, or others....

Hope this helps.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I was just emailed this link to free patterns in English from Garn studios. It's set up like an Advent calendar with a different pattern each day. Previous patterns are still accessible. British English knitting terms. If you need American equivalents, click on flag. Lots of small projects, many suitable as presents. Perhaps a bit late to do too much this year, but save them for next Christmas or when a gift is needed.

OOOPS, my fingers forgot that British English requires upper case for proper nouns.

[ 13. December 2007, 08:00: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

I'm not much of a knitter, but I just had to post a reply. The knitting advent calendar is spectacular! How wonderful! I only wish they had a crochet version.....but still, very nifty...... That gave me a big smile. Thanks for posting it!

Peace be with you,
ErinBear

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
EB, you did notice that patterns 99-13, 104-11 and 104-46 were all crochet projects, didn't you?

I'm more a crochet-er than a knitter (although I did make my dad an amazing Dr Who scarf about 10 years ago - when people comment on it he always beams and says with pride 'my daughter knitted it for me') and I have a bundle of lovely soft, pink wool (probably synthetic [Roll Eyes] ) that I picked up in a sale last year. I've been looking for something just like that red shawl to try it out on. That's a really fun link, Lothlorien, thank you.

TTP

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

Dear To The Pain -

Thank you for your message here. No, I had not noticed that some of the patterns on the knitting Advent Calendar site were crochet patterns! Hooray! How exciting! I've gone to investigate and will keep my eyes on the site. This is brilliant. Many thanks. : - )

Blessings,
ErinBear

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

Is anyone else out there having a slight case of nerves at the thought of all there is left to accomplish before Christmas?

I have a scarf and two hats to finish and three pairs of pajamas to sew in the next 6 days. I know I can do it, but it's going to be close! Please, someone tell me I'm not alone in this [Eek!]

--------------------

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My deadline is noon tomorrow when I want this wrapped and out of sight. I've done the neck band and most of one arm band of this fair isle vest, but it's 12:30am, and I leave to collect the recipient at 12 noon tomorrow!

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I thought that you might like The Knitter's Night before Christmas.

quote:
Twas the night before Christmas and all around me
There was unfinished knitting not under the tree,
The stockings weren't hung by the chimney with care
'Cause the heels and the toes had not a stitch there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
But I had not finished the caps for their heads.
Dad was asleep---he was no help at all.
And the sweater for him was 6" too small.

When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I put down my needles to see what was the matter...

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Curiosity killed ...:
My deadline is noon tomorrow when I want this wrapped and out of sight. I've done the neck band and most of one arm band of this fair isle vest, but it's 12:30am, and I leave to collect the recipient at 12 noon tomorrow!

That's a really pretty vest - the recipient has a lovely gift.
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:

I love it!

[ 19. December 2007, 11:21: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

Badfundie, you're not alone! I have a scarf I was hoping to finish, that I have my doubts about (multidirectional short row thing), and a pair of socks that are languishing and can wait until after Christmas.

[ 19. December 2007, 12:31: Message edited by: beachlass ]

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh yes, I have far too much to do before Christmas. The one knitting project is done, though, except for blocking. I really should get things shipped off Real Soon Now. [Big Grin]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:

I love it!
That's very cute. On the same topic, I had my knitting bag with me at the doctor's office today and someone asked (casting a sideways look at the 6 inches of sweater on my needles) "Are you knitting something for Christmas?" "Oh, no," I replied. The person seemed genuinely relieved. "I was about to say..." she said, sort of shaking her head.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016