homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 15)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
You can get the pattern for $5 from Loop Yarns.

plus $11.95 shipping
[Frown]

You should be able to get it cheaper than that directly from School House Press which is run by EZ's daughter, Meg Swansen. You'd be best advise to email them to ask about shipping, but it should be available at letter rate.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have decided to make an EZ surprise jacket in the new year. I shall be making the pattern up (reverse engineering) rather than shelling out loads of cash.

If you want a copy of my approximation then let me know.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cranmer's baggage:
You should be able to get it cheaper than that directly from School House Press

Thanks Cb. I'll look into that once Christmas is out of the way.
I'd also be interested in your version, babybear - at least you are on hand to explain the tricky bits [Biased] I understand that EZ is not always easy to follow. [Confused]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is a version of the surprise jacket that is free. It isn't quite the same, but very close.

baby coat

Our library has the book by EZ with the original pattern, but I can't think of a legal way to get it too you. [Frown]

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I came across another similar jacket. I like it far more than the EZ one.

I have joined Ravelry, but sadly the name babybear was already taken. I am going by the Welsh version on myself, arthbach.

I am using it as a pattern/design blog, and it is ohh so very useful having so many good links provided by the software. The project templates are excellent too. At some stage I shall get the patterns put into the 'Designer' section. [Big Grin]

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just finished putting together a sweater I made without a pattern. It turned out pretty well, and I'm very pleased with myself!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
So, RuthW, any pictures? I'm not ready to do a patternless sweater yet, but my LYS is offering a class in Feb. to teach that skill, so maybe soon...

Ravelry finally let me in and so now I have yet another way to avoid doing the things I really should be doing.

Now that all the Christmas knitting is done, what are people working on?

--------------------

babybear
# 34

I am making a scarf for myself. It is worked in two yarns, one a nice sensible black merino Aran and the other a wonderfully crazy, bright rainbow yarn (Colinette One Zero Jamboree).

The scarf is in stocking stitch, with a little garter stitch boarder. The yarns change every two rows, and there is a central double decrease. This makes straight rows into Vs. There is a plump tassel at the point of the Vs.

I am working both ends of the scarf at the same time, from the ends towards the middle. When I get to the middle I shall make a square to join the two pieces together.

It is a fun bit of design, and I am rather happy with it.

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:
So, RuthW, any pictures?

Sorry, I don't own a camera. I suppose I'll have to do something about that sometime.

quote:
I'm not ready to do a patternless sweater yet, but my LYS is offering a class in Feb. to teach that skill, so maybe soon...
I found a method in a book and found it really easy. You knit a sample to get the gauge, take your measurements, then plan accordingly -- so you're not working without a pattern, just creating your own.

quote:
Same sweater, different color!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I'm still plodding on, intermittantly, with the 'capelet' I was about to begin when I first started this thread, and I am still as unenthusiastic about it as I was when I posted in February about the 'muddy' colours, and the mis-shaped mitres.
I will finish it eventually, but it's unlikely to be this winter. If I knitted only a square a day it could be done by the end of February, but it just depresses me to work with such dull yarns so I do a square, or maybe just a couple of rows and pack it away again for a week or so, until conscience next pricks. [Disappointed]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

babybear
# 34

Um, if you don't like the colours, and don't like the way the pattern is turning out then why are you knitting it? Will you wear it when it is finished?

It sounds rather like knitting masochism. [Eek!]

Is it possible to knit it up into something else, or swap the yarn with someone else and knit an item that you will love knitting and delight in wearing?

cattyish

Wuss in Boots
# 7829

- Posted      Profile for cattyish   Email cattyish   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a novice knitter but have managed this year to knit a scarf for my mother in law, which delighted her and to knit a wrap to go with my evening dress for my work night out, which gave my workmates the giggles!

--------------------
...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived, this is to have succeeded.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posts: 1794 | From: Scotland | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by cattyish:
I'm a novice knitter but have managed this year to knit a scarf ...

Quick work cattyish [Razz]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Provided I don't do a lot else tomorrow, I should finish the knit I started at the beginning of the holiday.

It is from a book of patterns based on the various forms of the kimono - this is a short one with a simple crossover fastening using a chopstick or hatpin or similar. I used up a lot of chunky-ish weight yarn, Rowan summer tweed and a japanese made variegated one, with a colourway running from black/brown up through crimsons, to blues, to russet/orange to yellow and so on to pale blues and pinks. Sort of cross-section of the earth.

If all goes well - and it looks good so far - I will photograph and post.

Roseofsharon - seriously - if you don't like knitting it, you won't like wearing it. Abandon it. Now. Life it too short.

Most of the yarn in the looking-good kimono I've described above have been tried out in other knits and not worked. Everything has to find its time and place, and a lot has to go down to experience.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Um, if you don't like the colours, and don't like the way the pattern is turning out then why are you knitting it?

Because it's a kit that cost (for me) a vast amount of money
quote:
Will you wear it when it is finished?
Yes, I have a cold and draughty house, and the capelet will be warm and cosy when it's done.

quote:
Is it possible to knit it up into something else,
The prospect of unpicking 51 'modules' each knitted in 4 yarns of various textures is worse than knitting on to the end [Eek!]

There are only 30 more to do [Roll Eyes]

[ 01. January 2008, 21:49: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good luck, roseofsharon!

I've just finished a wall hanging of a leaping stag, which I'm quite pleased with. The next step will be a second wall hanging with a pack of hounds, rounded off with a third wall hanging depicting a medieval huntsman blowing his horn. I'm making them to use if our re-enactment group ever get round to buying a banqueting tent - but even if they don't, they'll see some use, and they are fun to do.

Meanwhile I'm knitting a tabard - about half way through the first half of it - and I have a rug on my peg loom that needs finishing off. I'm making loose lucetted cord (with a medieval tool that looks like a pair of horns on a stick), plaiting the cords together and then weaving them on the peg loom for a chunky, thick wool rug.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My after-Christmas project is a pair of mittens in fingering-weight yarn on ridiculously tiny needles (1.5 mm - US size 000). And the Latvian color pattern isn't one I'm picking up quickly, so these are going to take a while. Actually, hey're kind of Christmas knitting - Mr. Otter got me the yarn for Christmas.

Over the weekend I re-organized and put away most of the yarn stash. The bins are full, I really shouldn't buy any more until I knit some of it up.

On the not-quite-for-fun front, I ended the holiday hiatus and dug the leatherworking back out (although I did make a portfolio clipboard/cover for my father for Christmas). I was having a stoopid day yesterday, I was looking at the list of what I have made, what we sold at the last event, and the pile of stuff in progress and didn't know what to do. [Roll Eyes] I finally kicked myself in the tuchis and started putting markings on Yet Still More little soft leather belt pouches. Couldn't quite bring myself to dig out the stinky black leather dye, I'll probably do that tonight.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm big on the summer knitting at the moment (being in Oz), so it's all about cotton & lightweight, small woolen items. There are an awful lot of babies expected in my circle of friends and relations over the next few months, so I'm working on two baby blankets (one monochrome tumbling blocks, one bicolour curves of pursuit) and am about to start on a heap of little jackets, booties, etc. There's also a cotton shell top for myself and a cotton pullover for TOF on the needles. I find that if I just keep doing a few rows here and there, they all get finished eventually.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CB, Do you have a favourite good cotton available down here? Most cotton hurts my arthritic fingers, where wool doesn't. However, I'd like to do something. Last year I used Heirloom Breeze(??) and made shrugs for small granddaughters. However, that is a mix of wool, cotton and a small amount of lycra. I'm looking for more cotton content.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

Lothlorien,

I agree that cotton is much harder on the hands. I'm not sure that I can give you very helpful advice. At present I'm knitting some Patons Cotton Perle from stash, which was discontinued years ago, and some Elle Denim yarn I picked up cheap at Lincraft a couple of years pack. The only currently available cotton in the mix is Bendigo Knitting Mills 4 ply cotton. Speaking of which, did you know that Heirloom Breeze bears a remarkably strong resemblance to Bendigo Harmony?

I find that avoiding metal needles makes a difference, as does using a circular for anything with much weight in it. The other thing you might want to think about is trying some of the Bamboo/viscose/rayon yarns. They feel yummy.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

babybear
# 34

Have you tried knitting with bamboo yarn? It is softer, more absorbent and kinder to the environment? I have crocheted with some, and it looks like cotton and feels like a very soft cotton.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Haven't tried bamboo yet. I've heard good things about it.

Actually, thinking about things, it's the non-stretchiness of cotton as opposed to the elasticity of wool which makes my fingers ache and swell.

[ 03. January 2008, 09:22: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about to go buy some bamboo tomorrow. Will report back in a week or so.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went into our local Merciers today - I'm teaching her English - and got very tempted by some delicious wool. She showed me a very nice pattern for beginners, and I would really like to try it. However, a couple of things are putting me off:
1. I have, in the past, started two pullovers and finished neither, due to getting bored.
2. I've been knitting baby garments for poor South African babies. They've been OK because they're small, so I've not got too bored. But I feel slightly guilty that I'm considering abandoning the Babies for a selfish pullover.

So what do you think I should do...?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Dormouse,

Years ago I was only ever allowed one project at a time in knitting. I too was bored, so was lucky to finish one a year. I put things away and aside for years. A few years ago, I started knitting again. I now have several projects on the go at once. A bit her, a bit there, and things get finished and put together.

Just a thought.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I've been knitting baby garments for poor South African babies. They've been OK because they're small, so I've not got too bored. But I feel slightly guilty that I'm considering abandoning the Babies for a selfish pullover.

You don't have to abandon them completely. You might like to do make something for yourself and then something for charity, and swap around like that.

I have three ways of not getting bored. I watch a DVD when I knit (one that I have seen before). I can watch as much or as little as I want, and can of course pause and go back if I miss anything.

I found that using variegated yarn made the whole thing more interesting as I was always wanting to see how the next little bit would turn out. Another way is to have a pattern that take a bit more concentration, eg an Aran or a lace pattern.

A tip that I picked up from FlyLady is to do a little bit of a project each day. Even if it is one row of knitting; it means that progress has been made.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I'm using all three of your methods to speed my 'capelet' along, babybear.

I have a few TV programmes I recorded over Christmas, so am knitting while catching up on them.
If I have been using the 'muddy' colours for too long, I slip in a few rows of one of the brighter colours to cheer myself up,
and I am making a determined effort to finish each day working on a different square to the one I left it on the day before, even if I only pick-up the stitches for the next one.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
Haven't tried bamboo yet. I've heard good things about it.

Actually, thinking about things, it's the non-stretchiness of cotton as opposed to the elasticity of wool which makes my fingers ache and swell.

last summer I knitted a cardigan in bamboo and it was a pleasure to knit with.
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I found that using variegated yarn made the whole thing more interesting as I was always wanting to see how the next little bit would turn out.

I love using variegated yarn in crochet. Makes simple stitches look fancy! [Smile] Also, sometimes I'll use a couple of different yarns at the same time.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The bamboo I've used was quite nice to knit with, and made very soft and drapy FOs. It does seem to shed fluff everywhere, but I'm hoping a bit of wear and time will fix that all on it's own.

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here is not terribly good photo of the short kimono-style jacket I knitted over Christmas.

You get the general idea about the colours, though.

Without letting the needles so much as cool, I have started another, from the same pattern book (Kimono Knits).

This is more the classic shape of rectangles for fronts and back and for the sleeves - but the body is bias knit. This is very good for creating diagonal striping. For front 1, which I have almost finished, I made up a ball of yarn running from dark navy through mid blue to pale greens/blues to white (enlivened en route with a little intarsia design of simple curving shapes like twigs). Front 2 will have a colour way running from black/dark brown up through a spectrum of oranges to neutral.

Not only with this use up the two predominant colourways in my stash, but will produce what I think of as Cosmic Kimono, representing earth, sea and sky.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Lovely kimono knit, Firenze. I wish my "stash" is as coordinated as yours - every time I look at it I wonder what I can do with such a wide mix of weights and shades. One day I will get inspiration!

Meanwhile, I am using this yarn to knit this jumper but adapting it to have a round neck (why do warm sweaters have such low necks - if I am wearing something this warm it is when I need a higher neck!) and rather than have the purl side as the right side I am having the knit side, because the boucle yarn gives as much texture as I want.

So probably another weight / texture / shade to add to the stash!

beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's gorgeous Firenze!

--------------------

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I went to the library today to look for a copy of The Opinionated Knitter - they hadn't got it, of course, in fact there doesn't seem to be a copy in any of the Essex libraries at all.

They are trying to get a copy from some other library service, but it will take time, and will cost the same as buying the BSJ instructions from Loop Yarns - only without the shipping charges.

Hey Ho! Baby's not due until August, anyway, and I've still got the current project to finish [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I wish my "stash" is as coordinated as yours

Let it get large enough and eventually some proportion will be coordinated.

I found a couple of balls of Noro Kureyon very useful. I chopped them up and used them to tie in a lot of other colours.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Could the more experienced knitters here kindly advice me on the feasibility of altering a pattern? I'm currently working on this baby sweater. I don't care for the collar (actually, I don't think the baby's mom and dad will like the collar), so I wondered whether it would be possible to just do a regular neckline on the sweater. The bottom rows of the sweater are just 7 rows of garter stitch. Is it possible to -- at that point where one would begin the collar, which is 1.5 inches of gs -- to simply to 7 rows of gs and be done with it? Are there other adjustments I should make? Or should I forget the whole idea? Many thanks for your comments.

(I'm not making the dorky hat either. But the yarn is gorgeous and the pattern on the sweater itself is knitting up nicely -- now that I have the gauge correct [as I moaned about several pages earlier!]).

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello, may I join you?
Not a knitter but a seamstress. I make clothing for myself and the kids. Alas, I have a major addiction to fabric buying though.

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welcome, Heavenly Anarchist. Pull up a chair and join the circle.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
... I wondered whether it would be possible to just do a regular neckline on the sweater. The bottom rows of the sweater are just 7 rows of garter stitch. Is it possible to -- at that point where one would begin the collar, which is 1.5 inches of gs -- to simply to 7 rows of gs and be done with it?

Yes, it would be very possible and most likely a lot cuter.

Heavenly Anarchist, Welcome! My yarn and fabric stashes are about equal. I make most of DD's pajamas and nightgowns and some of my own clothes as well. What are you working on now?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Is it possible to -- at that point where one would begin the collar, which is 1.5 inches of gs -- to simply to 7 rows of gs and be done with it?

That should work fine - if it looks a little baggy, knit two together here or there (say at the shoulders) to give it a tiny bit of shaping.
babybear
# 34

An alternative is to knit in rib for 3 or 4 cm and then fold over to make a double thickness collar.

bb

Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Heavenly Anarchist, Welcome! My yarn and fabric stashes are about equal. I make most of DD's pajamas and nightgowns and some of my own clothes as well. What are you working on now?

thank you. I've been unwell for a month or so and have had little concentration to sew (this'll be sorted soon though) but I'm currently designing some children's clothes to make up when I'm better. I'll link some pics when I finally manage to sew something.
I managed to make some Christmas presents though - a kimono top for my nephew, a hippy tunic shirt for dh and vintage fabric headbands and wrist cuffs for some friends. I tend to use recycled and vintage fabrics (I'm an obsessive greenie).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
My yarn and fabric stashes are about equal.

Add a 'To Be Read' bookpile to that, and that describes my state, too. [Hot and Hormonal]

I don't do as much knitting or sewing (or reading) these days as I did when I had small children, but can't bring myself to part with the makings.
I even have a huge bag of tiny fabric scraps (left from the days when my eyesight was good enough to do appliqué) which I can't bear just to throw away, and hundreds of buttons that I used to cut off unsold garments at village Jumble Sales. [Roll Eyes]

I hope you will let us see some of your designs for children's clothes in due course, HA - especially if they include boys clothes.
As a mother and grandmother of boys I have always felt that they are badly served by the makers of children's clothes. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
and hundreds of buttons that I used to cut off unsold garments at village Jumble Sales.

I saw a clever use of buttons in a craft shop recently. The craftsperson had taken as a base a scrap of soft leather and sewn it really densely with buttons so that it looked like a piece of encrusted mosaic. And then put a brooch catch on the back. It was very effective.

[ 08. January 2008, 15:06: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:

Add a 'To Be Read' bookpile to that, and that describes my state, too. [Hot and Hormonal]

Oh, don't even mention The Bookpile [Eek!]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love buttons.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

I actually reduced The Stash and The Bookpile in December. A number of people in our gifting circles received giftbags with a stash-knit scarf, a book and a little goodie of some sort. And after all that small project knitting, I feel just about ready to tackle a sweater project again.

--------------------

Surfing Madness
Shipmate
# 11087

- Posted      Profile for Surfing Madness   Author's homepage   Email Surfing Madness   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering if anyone knows if you can get knitting patterns for veggie tales jumpers for children? Tried an internet search but didn't find anything, but people here seem to know loads oabout knitting etc!

--------------------
I now blog about all my crafting! http://inspiredbybroadway.blogspot.co.uk

Posts: 1542 | From: searching for the jam | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found the perfect label for my To Be Read shelf:
"mons liborum legendorum" - "the mountain of books that must be read".

And I've almost finished the front of my mohair tabard. It was supposed to be K2, P2 for two rows and then P2, K2 - but I'm easily distracted, so it's been rather more random than that, with lots of short lengths of ribbing that sort of peter out. Which actually looks quite nice, and as if I meant it.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having a wonderful time putting together my new loom! It's a 32", rigid heddle model---a Kromski Harp---and just looking at it is sheer pleasure. (Now if my selvages would only turn out even...)

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016