homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 17)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Heeeelp! Calling all crocheters!

Are UK and US crochet stitches called different things? I've got 2 books (one UK, one US) that describe them differently. For example, the UK book describes a triple crochet stitch as yarn over hook, into the chain (three loops on the hook), yarn over and hook through 2 loops, yarn over and through the 2 remaining loops. However, my US book describes that as a double crochet stitch.

I'm confused! Has anyone else come across this sort of discrepancy? Am I just being dippy (quite possible)?

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, they're called different things -- it's not you!

A quick Google turned up this chart of US/UK terms comparisons -- I'm sure there are many more.

Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, many thanks Ruth! Sanity restored, and that explains why my squares were looking so odd...
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Iole Nui:
The Pretty In Punk link didn't work for me, but I searched for it on Amazon and found it and lots of other great looking books! Excellent stuff.

I am getting really excited now, I want to stop working and start learning to knit immediately!

Surely better still, buy the books give them to mother-in-law with the statement, we noticed how you liked knitting for little Nui and thought you might like to try some more recent patterns, doing the old ones again must be so boring.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Huzzah! I finished the jumper I was knitting for myself. Still can't link photos (no digital camera) but I'm reasonably pleased. I had to do extra sewing with the seams because I did the arms wrong. The hole left in the main part was too big for the sleeves to fit in! But generally it's OK.

I may knit similar for my mum's birthday - but I'll have to find cheaper wool. This was really embarrassingly expensive for what it is.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently knitting up a job lot of cotton yarns, partly from stash, but also some I got pretty cheaply on e-bay.

Dormouse, a way to avoid non-fitting sleeve misery is to go for drop shoulders - ie, the sides of the main garment are completely straight. The sleeve can be created either by sewing together front and back at the shoulders, and then picking up as many stitches as you need, knit on these, decreasing as you go, until reach the cuff. Or do the reverse, start with the cuff and increase until sufficent, cast off straight across, sew to body.

This works best, obviously, with loose-fit, casual style garments - but since I regard knitting as a canvas for working with colour, the simpler the shaping the better AFAIAC.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok can people reverse the problem for me. My mum is knitting herself a cardigan. Its to a pattern she has knitted before and likes except it has drop sleeves and she finds the join bulky. So now she needs to convert the drop sleeve to a fitted.

How?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tricky.

I would find another pattern, of the same weight wool, and same tension, but with a fitted sleeve and transpose it. Actually, I would find a completely different pattern and just knit that.

Drop sleeve normally goes with a whole style of garment, which may not be sympathetic to a fitted sleeve.

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Great advice if she had not already knitted to the start of the shaping of the back before asking me what to do.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Having discovered that I'm not the only person around here to have a lot of unfinished proejcts on the go, I've invited friends (& their friends!) to an "unfinished projects" evening at my home next week. Hopefully it will get me more focussed on finishing a few more things before beginning something new.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That is a great idea [Cool] I think I will get some wine and chocolate and have a finishing party of my own. There are a couple of new projects I want to start, but with four projects still on the needles I need to complete some things first.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been offline for a couple of days due to medical issues. Earwig, I just now saw your post. Eek! I'm so sorry. I see that it's been answered, but I'm so sorry for the difficulty you encountered. Yes, the two countries have different names for our crochet stitches. I'm in the USA and have encountered this difficulty before. I've never figured out why we have to have different names for our stitches. That's a mystery to me. But it certainly does exist!

Today I'm crocheting, too. I'm doing thread crochet. I'm working on a cross bookmark for a friend's birthday. It's a pattern I memorized long ago, and it's a handy thing. They fit perfectly in an envelope for mailing! I'll get it done this afternoon, starch it, and (hopefully) off in the mail tomorrow. I love thread crochet. Not as many people do it these days, and I feel as if I get to help continue a tradition when I make a thread project. I love making doilies, bookmarks, and other things. It's a nice feeling.

Blessings to all,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

- Posted      Profile for Foxy   Email Foxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many moons ago I finished knitting a dress for my 5-year-old daughter...and it was adorable, if I do say so myself. And I was so proud of myself--it took forever, but it was worth it. She wore it All The Time, much to my delight, and proudly received compliments on it by exclaiming "my mommy MADE it!" It suited her perfectly. And now it's stuffed in the trash with dirty diapers.

My darling, creative, artistic daughter was deep into a project (making a superhero paperdoll for her three year old brother), and somehow she didn't pay quite enough attention to what the scissors were doing, and she managed to cut three great holes right across the front of her dress without even noticing until she was taking it off and it started to tear even more.

I know she didn't mean to, and it's just a thing, after all...dust to dust and all that...but still. [Frown]

I just need some sympathy.

Posts: 499 | From: 11 blocks west | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, Foxy [Waterworks]

My heart goes out to you, and to your little girl who must feel awful!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Foxy, I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you and to your little girl. I'm just glad for you that she loved the dress and wore it so proudly. I hope that you'll both remember that part of it.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
MaryFL
Shipmate
# 7482

- Posted      Profile for MaryFL   Author's homepage   Email MaryFL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You and me both, ErinBear! [Big Grin] I love thread crochet. Always have a doily on my hook. I'm into Japanese patterns these days. There are so many beautiful designs out there!

This month I've been working with yarn though. I'm making a baby afghan for a friend who's due next month, and a shawl for another friend whose birthday is coming up.

After that, it's back to thread. [Yipee]

--------------------
God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them.

Posts: 947 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
MaryFL, that's so great to meet another thread crocheter! Thank you for writing. There aren't a lot of us around, I think. Every time I carry my thread crochet projects with me, people stare in amazement and ask so many questions! Sometimes people ask questions if I'm crocheting with yarn, but never to the extent that they do when I'm carrying the thread crochet with me. It's something else. Even when I'm on public transit, when people generally don't speak to each other very much.

Good luck with your knitting projects. I bet the recipients will treasure the baby blankets!

Blessings,
ErinBear

Rat
Ship's Rat
# 3373

- Posted      Profile for Rat   Email Rat   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Surely better still, buy the books give them to mother-in-law with the statement, we noticed how you liked knitting for little Nui and thought you might like to try some more recent patterns, doing the old ones again must be so boring.

Good idea [Big Grin] Except I'm feeling a bit rotten about my earlier comment as since then she has presented Little Nui with an absolutely lovely little hooded cardigan - not only beautifully knitted, but pretty and modern too. I do hope she doesn't read the Ship!

My adventures in knitting have been progressing slowly. The house is full of little knitted swatches, they turn up in the most unexpected places! At length, I seem to have grasped rows of knit and purl, and can now fairly reliably produce various combinations of horizontal bars without either collecting extra stitches (where do they come from!!) or having big holes appear. Mr Nui's mum says my tension is good, which sounds promising.

However, last night I tried to graduate to alternating knit and purl stitches in the same row, an experiment which was not at all successful. The rampant extra stitches and random holes reappeared with a vengeance, I wound up unravelling the whole thing then got so annoyed that I totally lost the ability to even cast on a new swatch, and at length threw the whole thing across the room, announced to the world in general that knitting was a stupid hobby anyway, and went to bed in a huff. (Patience has never been my strong point.)

Irritatingly, Mr Nui seemed to find this whole performance inordinately amusing. Men!

Oh well, I'll have another go tonight, I'm sure it will come together in time, and with practice.

--------------------
It's a matter of food and available blood. If motherhood is sacred, put your money where your mouth is. Only then can you expect the coming down to the wrecked & shimmering earth of that miracle you sing about. [Margaret Atwood]

Posts: 5285 | From: A dour region for dour folk | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Since I am not a big fan of the Joy of Ribbing, something I do quite a lot is start in garter stitch, then switch to stocking ss. If it's something with a front opening, I retain the garter stitch for the first 7 to 10 stitches, to create an integral band.
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Foxy:
she managed to cut three great holes right across the front of her dress without even noticing until she was taking it off and it started to tear even more.

I know she didn't mean to, and it's just a thing, after all...dust to dust and all that...but still. [Frown]

I just need some sympathy.

aaaawwww, that's sad.
I still cut holes in my skirts......

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh Foxy, what a shame!
But I'm sure that the dress will remain in your daughter's memory for many years.

My mother used to hand-sew my dresses when I was small, and I still remember her bringing one she had just finished upstairs for me to try on after I had gone to bed.
Looking back it wasn't particularly gorgeous; straight, sleeveless (I think),buttoned all down the front, with a row of broderie anglais lace down the length of the front edge and similarly trimmed pockets. It was a dusky pink (the colour of calamine lotion, I used to think). I loved that dress!

I still have another of her creations, a bit moth-eaten in places after nearly sixty years. It's peach coloured rayon (or similar), all hand sewn, with multicoloured smocking from waist to shoulder, front and back.

It gave me a love of smocking that I have never really been able to give expression to. My sons both wore hand- smocked rompers, but only for their first year, and I was forbidden from making something so 'girly' for my grandsons.

There is a new grandbaby due in the summer. Perhaps it is a girl, and perhaps then I will be allowed to smock little dresses?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Iole Nui

I know what you should knit next a dish cloth or rather several dish cloths. You just need un-dyed cotton thread, any size needles.

The nice thing are:
  1. they are useful
  2. looks don't matter
  3. you can knit them in any stitch, so you can try out moss stitch* if you want
  4. they can be any shape that is vaguely rectangular

Brilliant as things to practise knitting or to trial new techniques on. If you make too many they can even be given as gifts.

Jengie

*Moss stitch is 1p, 1k repeat but when you turn around you do what every stitch you have just done into the first stitch on the next row. It lies flat unlike ribs.

[ 27. February 2008, 12:49: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------

Back to my blog

MaryFL
Shipmate
# 7482

- Posted      Profile for MaryFL   Author's homepage   Email MaryFL   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't knit, the blanket is crocheted. [Biased]

I've had the same stares when I'm crocheting with thread. People usually end up saying "oh, my grandmother used to do that"...

I've been thinking of teaching a thread crochet class for a while. Right now, I only teach regular/yarn crochet (beginning to advanced). Not sure how I would go about teaching thread though, or if anybody would sign up (but they might if I make a nice enough flyer with neat patterns on it). I think I'll have to try it. Some crocheters don't want to venture into thread work on their own. [Smile]

--------------------
God understands our prayers even when we can't find the words to say them.

Posts: 947 | From: Florida, USA | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:

I still have another of her creations, a bit moth-eaten in places after nearly sixty years. It's peach coloured rayon (or similar), all hand sewn, with multicoloured smocking from waist to shoulder, front and back.

Ah, the smocked frock of the fifties! Accessorised with Clerks' sandals, ankle socks, a button-through cardigan, and all your hair on one side yanked into a bunch and tied with a ribbon. I have one in a drawer too. Pink rayon.

[ 28. February 2008, 09:34: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I used to do a bit of crochet (mainly doilies with my nan!) I'm a bit confused by terminology though. What is "thread crochet"? Is that American for what we just call "crochet" or something all together different (I've tried googling but not got anywhere!)
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thread crochet is the finer stuff - making doilies etc from fine cotton, sometimes even as fine as sewing thread if you're brave (and skilled).

Yarn crochet is the crochet equivalent of knitting, ie with what we would generally (and often inaccurately) call wool in the UK.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

- Posted      Profile for Foxy   Email Foxy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the empathetic tut-tuts, everyone...it sounds dumb, but it helps!

My daughter and I have a new batch of colors picked out for a new dress: daffodil yellow, with thin stripes of lavender, turquoise and pale green.

Here's to fresh starts!

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

Mary - your idea of having a thread crochet class sounds like a good one. Some of the techniques are indeed different. I find I need to hold my hook differently, and tension is more critical. If you decide to offer a thread-crochet class, are you going to suggest that it's for established crocheters? My experience so far is that it's easier to attempt it after you've done yarn crochet for awhile.

There's also the added measures that go along with thread crochet like starching and blocking, which I never encountered when I was doing yarn crochet. I had to try to figure them out on my own (with various problems along the way, trust me), but if you were having a class, your students would have help! That would be so great!

[Smile]

Blessings,
ErinBear

Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Ok can people reverse the problem for me. My mum is knitting herself a cardigan. Its to a pattern she has knitted before and likes except it has drop sleeves and she finds the join bulky. So now she needs to convert the drop sleeve to a fitted.

How?

Jengie

The technical purist answer:
  • 1. create a piece of graph paper with 'squares' the same size as the stitches in the knitted fabric
  • 2. find a garment with roughly the same weight fabric and a set-in sleeve the fit of which she loves
  • 3. trace the armhole shape onto the graph paper and use it as a pattern for the front and back of the garment
  • 4. calculate sleeve cap shaping to match armscye. This article tells you how

The cheats way of doing it - find another pattern that knits at the same tension and has a set in sleeve, and hybridize.

The down and dirty way of doing it - shape armscye by casting off about 3 cm worth of stitches in each of the first two rows, then decrease once each end of every knit row 5 times. Continue straight to shoulders. For sleeves, decrease same number of stitches in first two rows, each end of every knit row 5 times, then every 4th row for a bit, fitting the sleeve into the armscye as you go. When the number of stitches left on the needle looks about the same as the length left unaccounted for around the top of the armscye (at the shoulder), cast off. Pin to fit. Be prepared to undo cast off and add or subtract a few rows as required.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Drifting Star:
Thread crochet is the finer stuff - making doilies etc from fine cotton, sometimes even as fine as sewing thread if you're brave (and skilled).

Yarn crochet is the crochet equivalent of knitting, ie with what we would generally (and often inaccurately) call wool in the UK.

Ah that makes sense!! (D'oh) I've done both, but didn't realise they were called different things. (The cotton wasn't as thin as sewing thread though....)
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A friend of mine recently went to Morocco on holiday, and I asked her to look out for any items to do with spinning or weaving for me. Yesterday she presented me with a wooden spindle whorl.
She went into a shop to buy some souvenirs, and asked about spinning equipment. The man called his wife, and together they rummaged around in a chest of drawers - and came up with the spindle whorl, which they gave to Anna. She thinks it's made of argan wood - and all it needs is a piece of dowling for me to use it.
I think it's brilliant.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
beachpsalms
Shipmate
# 4979

- Posted      Profile for beachpsalms   Email beachpsalms   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ooohhhh... spindle spinning. Have you done it before?

--------------------
"You willing to die for that belief?"
"I am. 'Course, that ain't exactly Plan A."

Posts: 826 | From: a hamster's cheek-pouch full of raisins | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
My daughter and I have a new batch of colors picked out for a new dress: daffodil yellow, with thin stripes of lavender, turquoise and pale green.

This sounds so beautiful that now I want to make a dress from those colors. [Smile] Yay for fresh starts!

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
beachlass, I demonstrate spinning and weaving to children, while dressed as a Viking, and I do living history at medieval re-enactments where I spin and weave.
I'm not actually very good, but I can make a fairly consistant thread in wool or dog fur, and hairy string in flax/linen, so it's enough to give the children the basic idea of how clothes used to be made.
So far, apart from the basic wooden spindles I use with the children, I have a little replica of a Viking spindle from the Orkneys, done in a green stone, and a larger Viking spindle made of soapstone, as well as a Bosworth high whorl spindle, and a Turkish spindle, which is great for keeping a kid who can't do weaving occupied, as they try to fit the three pieces of it together! (Turkish spindles are made so that you spin the wool, and can then take the spindle apart, leaving a centre pull ball behind).
I've also got a spinning wheel (isn't ebay wonderful?) waiting for me to have time to practice on it. No idea what type it is - just that it came to me from a Swedish lady called Ingrid, living in Scotland.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
- the knitted nightmare is finished [Yipee]

Having finished it at long last, I have regained my enthusiasm for knitting. Since then I have completed 11 (admittedly small) items - and not just baby things, I've even made a hat and a scarf for myself. [Smile]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

Glad to hear that! I especially like the baby helmet (I was looking through the other pictures on your list). Is that pattern easy to find? I would love to make one of those. My next difficult project is going to be making a tank top for 9-y.o. DD using a womens size pattern from the latest Interweave Knits. The knitting won't be a problem, just the figuring.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Badfundie,
The baby helmet (shown in my Ravelry notebook) is from my collection of old patterns. You don't see many in that shape nowadays, although I think it looks sweet on a baby boy. It stays on better than a beanie type hat as it fastens under the chin, but doesn't look like a bonnet.

I did spot one similar somewhere online recently, so I'll have a look to see if I can find it again. Otherwise, it's probably old enough to be out of copyright, so I could send you a copy.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
I did spot one similar somewhere online recently

Here's the one I was thinking of, it has similar shaping, but is knitted on circular needles. Mine is done on straights.

[ 22. March 2008, 22:33: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

Thank you! The Norwegian one is perfect. I can just change a few details to make it more like yours if I like, I suppose. There are six or seven babies due among the ladies at our church between now and October, so there's a lot of knitting to be done.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Been busy thsi week but few photos because I gave things away.

Have a rotten cold and a head stuffed full of cotton wool, so have spent this holiday Monday knitting. Did the second sock of the second pair of socks for a shipmate's granddaughter and this afternoon I made a headband for DIL with whom I live now. If you search on Panta, you will find many references. Try the one from Garn studios. (sorry, don't have link handy.)

The wool is from bendigo wools and is 70% wool, 25% mohair and 5% alpaca. Lovely to knit, it looks good on her and is just the sort of thing she wears often. When camera battery is recharged I'll send a link to photo.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Foxy
Shipmate
# 2409

Yay! The daffodil-yellow dress for my 5 year old was finished in time for Easter! She looked like spring flowers...even with 6 inches of snow on the ground....
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Yay! The daffodil-yellow dress for my 5 year old was finished in time for Easter! She looked like spring flowers...even with 6 inches of snow on the ground....

Oh, very well done, Foxy, that's less than 4 weeks (which seems very fast to me!). I'm sure she was delighted, and I guess she won't be wearing that when doing future craft projects [Biased]

--------------------

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
quote:

Oh, very well done, Foxy, that's less than 4 weeks (which seems very fast to me!). I'm sure she was delighted, and I guess she won't be wearing that when doing future craft projects [Biased]
That was fast! It sounds beautiful. Is there any chance we'll get to see a picture?

--------------------

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Calling cross-stitchers!

I want to order some plastic coasters from Framecraft, but their website doesn't seem to have been updated in a long time (it mentions 'a new site coming in Feb 2007'). I tried emailing their webmaster and it bounced.

Does anyone know if Framecraft are still going? And if not, what's a good site to order their products from? I need the presentation box with four plastic coasters - it's a wedding present.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Any needlepointers here? I'm going to take on needlepointing a kneeler for our Cathedral, including designing it, and am looking to soak up knowledge from as many places as possible.

This is a lengthy project -- I don't think I'll be able to start it for real till next fall (committed to knitting something else in the meantime), so in the meantime I'll be figuring out design, doing some samplers, visiting the needelpoint group at the Cathedral to find out what tips they have, etc. like that...

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want to say "thanks" again to the person who posted the knittinghelp.com website a while ago -- babybear, maybe? -- sorry, I don't recall. I did my first three-needle bind-off yesterday after watching the video there; it came out looking great, and I think I'll be using this technique a lot in the future. So: thanks!
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

I came across this recently - Oxfam in Leeds are creating a giant baby blanket with 250,000 knitted or crocheted squares, with each square representing a mother who did not survive pregnancy or childbirth, because of a lack of medical care.

They are asking knitters and crocheters to make 9 inch squares for the giant blanket, which will given to the UK Government as a sort of petition to demand a world where everyone has access to free basic healthcare.

Get knitting and crocheting! They're looking for 250,000 squares before September.

[Aaargh! Can't do a linky for some reason! will do so as soon as I get home... Serve me right for posting at work...]

[ 11. April 2008, 16:28: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Earwig

Is this the link you wanted ?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

That's it! Thank you!!

Jengie Jon - kind, clever and mistress of the linky. [Overused]

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

My youngest god-daughter has asked me to knit her a fairy doll. No problem there, who needs patterns when they have a basic idea of human anatomy and a fair ability to do fancy things in knitting like cast on and off, increase and decrease etc.

What is problematic is that she has an elder sister who is also my God-daughter. I need to find a good alternative for this older girl, who will certainly not be into fairies and probably will not think too highly of a doll.

I was wondering if one of these cats might do, but I want to give her a choice so any other suggestions?

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  14  15  16  17  18  19  20  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016