homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 18)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made my sister a cool apron for her 30th birthday. There are a couple of pictures here and here. I also made her a special birthday card.

Auntie Doris x

[ 19. April 2008, 17:44: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are rather fab [Big Grin]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
What is problematic is that she has an elder sister who is also my God-daughter. I need to find a good alternative for this older girl, who will certainly not be into fairies and probably will not think too highly of a doll.

Is she a Doctor Who fan? You could always knit her a dalek or an adipose - neither are at all girly!

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by chukovsky:
[QUOTE]Is she a Doctor Who fan? You could always knit her a dalek or an adipose - neither are at all girly!

Or an Ood !!

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are fun!
During yesterday's Doctor Who I was speculating on how I might knit an Ood!

I recently knitted a couple of Daleks from the linked pattern, which I found on Ravelry (there is a SoF group there).

I'd quite like to make the 'Face of Boe' from Mazzmatazz, but the grandsons would like one each - can there be two faces of Boe?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made my first crocheted amigurumi thingie last night! I was poking around in the Dr Who links above, followed a few links, and came across the idea of amigurumi - never heard of them before.

So I made this thing!

Hope the link works - first attempt at using Flickr.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still working on the baby sweater from hell.

In the meantime, I got a newsletter today that had these interesting links which might be helpful to some of you knitters:

The Yarn Directory

Knitting Fool (pattern generator)

Sock Knitters

[ooops -- forgot one!]

[ 22. April 2008, 02:16: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've knitted many squares for baby blankets but don't know the best way to stitch them together. I usually do a wrong way together over and over stitch in a yarn that won't show, but I saw a blanket stitched in a contrasting stitch that seemed to be very neat and attractive. But I don't know what it would be.

Can anyone help?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those amigurumi are so cute!

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've finally finished a top for Imogen which I originally started for her cousin a year ago (mea culpa). You can see it here. Not amazingly neat, but I have at last completed something!

Just started on this which seems rather fun.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
MrsChurchwarden
Apprentice
# 13626

- Posted      Profile for MrsChurchwarden   Email MrsChurchwarden   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hello, am new here after lurking for far too long but delighted to see that there is knitting in Heaven!
Am also on Ravelry (very bad at that too [Roll Eyes] ) so will check out the SoF group there as well.
Will link to some pictures of my handiwork when I am properly up to speed with how this board works

--------------------
Dazed and confused

Posts: 2 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Heavenly Anarchist
Shipmate
# 13313

- Posted      Profile for Heavenly Anarchist   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Didn't realise there was a SoF ravelry group. I don't knit but I'm on ravelry as I use wool a lot and I've got friends on there (not that I remember to visit!).

--------------------
'I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.' Douglas Adams
Dog Activity Monitor
My shop

Posts: 2831 | From: Trumpington | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
I made my first crocheted amigurumi thingie last night! I was poking around in the Dr Who links above, followed a few links, and came across the idea of amigurumi - never heard of them before.

So I made this thing!

*dies of the cute* [Big Grin]

Having made little toys/dolls out of both knitting and amigurumi, I prefer the crocheting. Less sewing up and messing about with pairs of circulars and poking myself with dpns.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone used the very nice Magi-Knit wool in the UK which knits up like Fair Isle pattern ?
If so, what size needles did you use to get the most effective patterning ? I have started a shawl on 7mm needles, and it comes up as nice banding of colours but not really a pattern.
I have tried another ball of wool and 4mm needles and this shows a bit more of a pattern as well as the banding but not substantially more.

If I go to 3mm needles, I think Hell might have frozen over before I manage to finish a whole shawl........

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I haven't tried that yarn at all but a) are you on Ravelry? You might get some answers there and b) Needle size may not be relevant if people don't knit to the same tension as you - I knit really loosely and would no doubt find your yarn with 3mm needles just about right!

I looked it up and it's a baby DK so wouldn't 3 or 4mm be about right? This picture shows what it is supposed to be like and recommends 3.25mm needles.

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chukovsky, thank you !

I am using the James Brett Magi-Knit DK with wool yarn, shade YW2 on the site you showed.

I think I might stick with my big needles, as the patterning with this yarn isn't really as detailed as with the Magi-knit baby DK wool, despite the difference in needle sizes.

I'm not yet on Ravelry, but hope to be so soon.....

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
This picture shows what it is supposed to be like and recommends 3.25mm needles.

Oh, I don't like that at all!
It looks as though the (banded) cardigan has been sewn together from odd pieces left over from some mammoth knitting bee when all the matching bits have been used up!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
This picture shows what it is supposed to be like and recommends 3.25mm needles.

Oh, I don't like that at all!
It looks as though the (banded) cardigan has been sewn together from odd pieces left over from some mammoth knitting bee when all the matching bits have been used up!

I agree with you Roseofsharon, but probably it would look great knitted up as a jumper so the same thread is used across the whole row rather than in 2 pieces. I recently used Opal sock yarn to knit a babies jumper and it looks nice.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It occurred to me yesterday, while I was leafing through my vintage patterns, that I might quite like to make a hot water bottle cover (despite the fact that it isn't the appropriate weather). Years ago my Mum made one where the top flap was in the shape of an owls head (it's somewhere in the flat, but I'm not sure where so I can't link to a photo). Unfortunately she's dead so I can't ask her, but does this sound familiar to anyone? If so, do you know what the pattern is so that I can search for it on eBay. I've got loads of brown yarn, so I quite fancy having a go.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
probably it would look great knitted up as a jumper so the same thread is used across the whole row rather than in 2 pieces.

I quite agree, I just wonder whatever possessed the pattern/leaflet designers to illustrate the jumper in plain white and the cardigan in the self-patterning yarn?

--------------------

Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've found the SoF group on Ravelry, but how do I join it?

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just figured it out!

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I've knitted many squares for baby blankets but don't know the best way to stitch them together. I usually do a wrong way together over and over stitch in a yarn that won't show, but I saw a blanket stitched in a contrasting stitch that seemed to be very neat and attractive. But I don't know what it would be.

Can anyone help?

Dormouse, I'm looking for the same thing: a more attractive way to stitch together knitted bits for a blanket.

I wonder what it would be like to overlap the squares (wrong-side over right-side) and top-stitch them, either straight or with a decorative stitch.

Another idea might be to fasten them together by whatever method crocheted granny squares are attached together for afghans. (Hmmmm, this may be the idea that finally gets me to learn how to crochet.)

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This thread is a possibility AR, but I'm not sure I fully understand instructions. I'm more a visual kind of person, needing to be shown what to do, rather than following pictures.Still I'll give it a go.

ETA How did Afghans get their name? When I read American novels as a child I didn't know how to picture an afghan. I was rather dissappointed to discover it was simply a knitted blanket...

[ 26. April 2008, 08:39: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always wondered that too. Wikipedia says they were probably originally patterned after Middle Eastern textiles.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
One of our Stitch and Bitch members brought a gorgeous blanket in recently. Over a period of time, she had knitted or crocheted lots of squares and rectangles, in different sizes, to test out patterns. They were all in a range of creams, beiges and browns, so she decided to crochet them all together to make the blanket.
It looks fantastic, and has encouraged me to get some crochet needles - Stitch and Bitch are having a demonstration session for crochet next month.

Meanwhile, I've just come back from Wonderwool at the Royal Welsh Showground. Fantastic fun, and I got everything that I was looking for - fresh fleece to use with the school children when I'm a Viking ("this is Hettie the Hebridean's wool, and she had twin lambs this spring"), as well as a niddy-noddy, some shuttles, and lucets, and a hook for the orifice of my spinning wheel. I learned to make socks on a Knatty Knitter, too (a circular frame that comes in various sizes). There was lots of gorgeous alpaca stuff around too (which I can't use in schools, because the Vikings were inconsiderate enough not to have got as far as South America), and yarn made out of sari silk, and lots of interesting finished garments.
My friend was launching her knitting patterns there (they're also on Ravelry) - Patterns on a Postcard. So far she's got four hat patterns, and will shortly be doing mittens and fingerless gloves.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

A question for all you yarn geniuses (genii?) out there. If you're knitting something in the round, I presume you're supposed to use the dpns or circs when you do the tension square, too? I know it's an obvious question, and I think I know the answer, but it's bugging me. I still haven't plucked up the courage to try knitting in the round, but there are a few hat patterns I want to try. I fancy trying socks at some point, too, but they terrify me. Is it worth seeing if my local college does classes?

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Socks? Fun and ever so comfortable.

Just don't read ahead in the pattern and spend time worrying that you don't uderstand it. Follow each step as it says and concentrate on that one step. When you've finished, pick up your sock and admire it. [Smile] [Smile]

yes, your swatch should be the same way as you intend knitting.

Don't forget there are other ways than double pointed needles. Two circulars is one way and magic loop is another. Personally I prefer my four little pointy sticks. I don't lose stitches, not pull them out.

Have a look at the Socknitters site. Lots of patterns and some helpful tutorials available.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

I'm struggling with a sweater for my elder grandson. He chose one with a dinosaur on the front, and I've had problems with the colour work.
I have knitted from a chart before, but many years ago, small simple motifs, from nice clear colourful charts.
The dinosaur chart is to a rather small scale, and is in b&w, with symbols for the different colours. I have double vision. [Eek!] <-me trying to focus on the chart
The result is that I have misread the chart numerous times, unpicked it, sometimes got muddled as to which row a group of stitches belonged to, and ended up 3/4 done with 3 stitches too many for the design.
Finally, in desperation, having unpicked half of the sweater front, I sat in a good light with a magnifying glass, a ruler and a pen and have written out instructions row by row, counting every group of stitches, and making sure each row had the correct total [Roll Eyes]

It was time consuming, but not as much as peering at the pattern while I work, re-counting the groups of stitches and unpicking two rows out of three.

Younger grandson also wants a dinosaur sweater [Help]

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Would it be any easier to put the dinosaur in with duplicate stitch, after knitting a solid-color sweater? Or maybe knit the dinosaur as only one or two colors, and putting in little fiddly bits of color with duplicate stitch?

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roseofsharon

Take the chart along to a shop that does A3 copies and get them to give you an enlarged copy of it! Once you have done that, buy some felt tips and colour in the symbols with approximately the right colours but make sure you have good contrasts between different colours on the chart. A good set of felt tip pens will do.It should make it much easier.

If that fails here is a fairly simple dinosaur cross stitch pattern, four clear distinct colours! Its funny how similar knitting patterns are to cross stitch. If you have a standard jumper pattern just work out the space it takes and decide where to put it.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Otter and Jengie Jon, thanks for the suggestions.

I think duplicate stitch would make the area of the motif too thick, although doing the outline, and the fiddly bits that way is worth considering if I find myself bamboozled into doing picture knitting again.

I had considered getting the chart enlarged, and colouring it in, but it was actually quicker to write out the instructions from the chart than to catch a bus into town to find a copy shop.

It seems to be coming along nicely now, and fortunately the dinosaur on the smaller size (for younger grandson) is exactly the same dimensions, just with 3 stitches less of the main colour each end of the rows, so I can use my written-out version for that too.

--------------------

Ps118
Shipmate
# 13655

- Posted      Profile for Ps118     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lothlorien:
[QB] Socks? Fun and ever so comfortable. Just don't read ahead in the pattern and spend time worrying that you don't uderstand it. Follow each step as it says and concentrate on that one step. When you've finished, pick up your sock and admire it. [end quote]

Sorry. I'm new at this. I haven't formatted the quote properly.

Socks are great fun! At first, they are an exercise in knitting in the present. I knit them starting at the toe, so that bit of stressful shaping is out of the way. Fortunately, I had a great teacher, who got me started and then sent me away to knit until I had to start the heel, so I had no idea what was coming. I didn't look ahead in the pattern, and I'm glad I didn't. I doubt I would have continued. I'm glad that I had someone to teach me and didn't try to tackle socks on my own from a pattern. Once you get the hang of it, turning the heel is kind of magical. I don't think I'll ever tire of knitting socks.

Kentishmaid, don't fear the circular needles. In some ways, I think they're easier than staight, single-pointed needles. For one thing, you don't have to purl as much, if at all. Casting on to circulars can be tricky, but I cast on to a straight needle and knit the first row onto the circular. For socks, however, I, like Lothlorien, want my four sticks.

Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

Yay! Just got my invite to Ravelry. It looks great fun. Really looking forward to getting going. I've added some project and joined some groups. Nearly finished my baby sweater but been thwarted by an unexpected visit from my Mother in Law this weekend. How's everyone else's projects going? (PS Who else is on Ravelry so that I can make some friends there? I'm on as kentishmaid.)

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

OMG [brick wall]

I have only just worked out the "slip the first stitch" thing for doing stocking stitch. Now, miraculously, the edges of my ss aren't all bumpy and weird.

(How many years have I been knitting now?)

My old solution to this problem was to knit everything in the round!

--------------------

chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

I used to do that and it wasn't bumpy, but it didn't quite look right. Now I work the first stitch as in the pattern, put the needle in the second stitch and pull the yarn tight, then work the second stitch. Works a charm!

--------------------

Ps118
Shipmate
# 13655

- Posted      Profile for Ps118     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ecumaniac:
OMG [brick wall]

I have only just worked out the "slip the first stitch" thing for doing stocking stitch. Now, miraculously, the edges of my ss aren't all bumpy and weird.

(How many years have I been knitting now?)

My old solution to this problem was to knit everything in the round!

My response exactly when I finally figured out the "slip the first stitch" thing! It's so much easier when you have to pick up from that edge. I felt like such an idiot for taking years to figure it out. Still, I nearly always prefer to knit in the round. My hands just like it better.
Posts: 185 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My trusty sewing machine (a fairly basic Brother that I began using in 1981) has just begun to suffer from lower-thread break [Waterworks]

I've tried all the suggestions in the manual and some I found on the web, and have come to a dead end. I wonder if anyone can suggest something else (other than get it serviced which right now is out of the question) beyond the following:

• thread weight is correct
  • needle weight is correct
  • bobbin only contains the same thread that I'm using on the top, is evenly filled and is not overfull
  • adjusting the tension (bobbin or upper) seems to make no difference
  • there is no lint or dirt anywhere (not even under the spring on the bobbin case)
  • needle is put in the correct way round
  • the upper thread is correctly threaded

Before I break open the piggy bank for a service/repair can anyone suggest something missing from that checklist?

Linguo

Ship's grammar robot
# 7220

- Posted      Profile for Linguo   Email Linguo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm sure you've tried it, but if not, perhaps consider changing the needle? My nearly-new Singer took to breaking thread (top or bottom apparently at random) a few months ago and it turned out to be the needle that was mangled in some way.
Posts: 997 | From: around and about the place | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Linguo:
I'm sure you've tried it, but if not, perhaps consider changing the needle? My nearly-new Singer took to breaking thread (top or bottom apparently at random) a few months ago and it turned out to be the needle that was mangled in some way.

Thanks for the suggestion Linguo - I tried after replacing the needle again (just in case the replacement was also a dud) but it's still breaking [Confused]
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is going to sound crazy, but it has worked for me on more than one occasion: Put your thread in Time Out. Remove the thread from the machine. Take bobbin out of the bobbin case. Put the thread and bobbin aside for a while and after they have had time to think about what they've done, completely rethread the machine.

This also works on knitting projects that are going wrong.

If this does not work; I don't know what to tell you.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Thanks Mrs Candle - I'll give that a go before I book a service.
Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am so loving my Knitpicks Harmony needles. I hate knitting with metal needles, so what a joy to have wooden ones with sharp enough points for lace knitting!

[ 25. May 2008, 23:43: Message edited by: Jodi ]

Posts: 73 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs. Candle:
This is going to sound crazy, but it has worked for me on more than one occasion: Put your thread in Time Out. Remove the thread from the machine. Take bobbin out of the bobbin case. Put the thread and bobbin aside for a while and after they have had time to think about what they've done, completely rethread the machine.

This is very true - my machine has a tendancy to mangle up the bobbin thread every now and then, and I take the thread out and Ignore it. After I have pointedly Ignored it for a while, we can start again. And the bobbin thread doesn't want to be Ignored again, so it behaves.

I suppose someone without a sewing machine that was alive might think it was due to overheating, but I know better.

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You covered the dusting-out, but do you give your machine a drop of oil in the bobbin mechanism every so often (I do it every time I wind a new bobbin, or change colors if the previous bobbin is getting low)? If not, things may be getting sticky.

Other things to try:

Some machines are sensitive to which direction the bobbin is unwinding. Mine all want it unwinding counter-clockwise (when looking at the bobbin in the bobbin case), so it pulls into the slot on the bobbin case. Check to make sure yours is unwinding the preferred direction. If your machine hasn't made it clear it has a preference, take the bobbin out, flip it over, and try it the other way around.

You could also buy a new spool of thread, and try winding a new bobbin from it. Thread will start to get weak after time, some are worse than others.

My Pfaff is somewhat sensitive to thread quality. Its much happier with the more expensive threads - I usually stick with Gutermann.

Check the bobbin itself for rough spots, especially if its one of the plastic ones. I have never run into a problem with this myself, but I've heard of it.

Have you bought new bobbins lately? Some of the types are very very similar, but not interchangeable.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Thank you Otter - I've
  • oiled it (regularly) in the places recommended in the handbook
  • tried loading the bobbin in one direction then the other
  • tried it with a brand new spool of thread (same on top and in the bobbin)
  • tried with Gutermann, with Sylko, with Cheapo
  • checked the bobbin, even used different ones
    All the bobbins are ones the machine has been happy with for years.
I'll have one more try after giving the machine and thread a rest and then I'm going to give in and get it serviced - as long as that doesn't cost more than a replacement machine !
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Did you clean it before oiling it?
The instructions for my elderly Jones specify cleaning the oiling points with petrol [Eek!] before oiling.

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
I'll have one more try after giving the machine and thread a rest and then I'm going to give in and get it serviced - as long as that doesn't cost more than a replacement machine !

The place I've used has a basic "tune-up and inspect" charge, IIRC something like US$60-75 (about half what I paid for my very basic Kenmore), then they call with information about any further work needed, with an estimate.

At one point last year I thought I'd lost one of my sewing machines. It was the one that had been in for service, and I started to wonder if I'd forgotten to pick it up, would they still have it, why didn't they call, etc.

Then I found it. On one of the work tables. In plain sight. [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
Did you clean it before oiling it?
The instructions for my elderly Jones specify cleaning the oiling points with petrol [Eek!] before oiling.

Oo - no I didn't clean it before oiling it. That wasn't mentioned in the manual but makes a lot of sense. Yesterday I phoned the shop where I bought it (27 years ago!) and found that the service charge isn't too bad (£58) and it doesn't take too long (a couple of weeks as the engineer is on holiday) and so I'll be taking it in at the weekend. The lady on the other end of the phone asked if I'd considered upgrading, but I said I quite like my trusty (until now) basic machine, and the only change I'd consider is to a hand cranked one - the shop still sells those (reconditioned I guess). Hopefully they can sort this one out so change won't need to be an option.

Meanwhile, lack of sewing machine means I can leave the re-use bags I've been making for the village fete and get on with some knitting (gloves, hat, scarf - not particularly seasonal!).

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just about to send off a knitted baby hat to Save the Children, for distribution to mothers with very young babies in some of the poorest parts of the world. Some have already gone off to Nepal.
I couldn't download their knitkit for some reason, but as the saying goes, this is "one I prepared earlier".

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016