homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, so I am doing my first project ever on the Kromski Harp rigid-heddle loom I got for Christmas. I'm having fun, but... can anyone tell me why my selvedges might be so horribly uneven?

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anna B, the most likely cause is that your weft tension is uneven (and here you thought you were in the clear once you got the warp all tensioned evenly...). Make sure you lay the weft in at the same angle or with the same size arch every time. The more you weave the better you'll get.

The reasoning behind this is that there needs to be enough weft in each shot to make all the little curves over and under the warp threads, so you don't want to put your weft in paralell to the edge of the weaving (the fell) before beating; you put it in at an angle, or make an arch, or a series of arches. If you don't allow pretty close to the same amount of weft each time, the selvedges will scrooch in and out.

Very few weavers achieve perfect selveges, and a first project on a new loom is always a learning experience.

How uneven your selveges are will also depend on what you're using for warp - wool is nice and stretchy and forgiving, so it's easier to get even selveges out of it. Linen, which I've never used myself, is about the least stretchy, and hardest to be consistent with. Cotton is somewhere in-between. I think silk is also more forgiving.

If you're using more than one weight yarn in the weft, even if they are the same fiber type, you may also experience differing draw-in with each yarn.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hey, thanks, Otter! I finished the project, a table runner, this morning. I used a variety of materials for the weft, plus cotton rug warp. I did know about beating the weft in an arch but will be far more conscientious about it now that you've enlightened me! Now, what tricks are there for an even warp tension?

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Let's see if I can remember how I warp my rigid heddle loom (been a while).
*Put pairs of warp threads through the slots, hook on back beam.
*Drape warp over front beam, untangled. Roll onto back beam, with paper, slats, whatever, with Mr. Otter trying to keep the warp untangled.
*Thread eyes
*Tie onto front beam, first pass - working out from the center, going back and forth from side to side. Usually in 1" wide groups. So the order would be something like this: 9 7 5 3 1 2 4 6 8. Only tie the first half of the knot, most yarns will hold that fine.
*Go back through again, checking tension, tightening as necessary, again working out from the center. Lightly pat the warp with your open hand to help check.
*Pass #3, finish tying bow knots, so that when you finish and find a loose or tight one, you can fix it.
*Weave a header, with something soft like toilet paper, rags, etc. - this will help take out the last variations. After you get a row or two of header in, you can see the tight or loose warp groups, as the fell will go toward or away from you there - away from you means they're loose, tighten up the knot. Dip toward you means that warp group is tighter, loosen it up. Weave some more header. Fuss with it until things look and feel good.

"Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving" from Interweave Press is a very good introduction.

I've got a new inkle loom ordered, big enough to hold something like 10 yards, can't wait to get it!

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
London-based crocheters might be interested in this.
Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just finished a fabulous crocheted judge's wig from Hookarama by Rachael Matthews. There's a pic of it here
on the far right. I shall be wearing it around town this winter to keep my ears warm!

[ 09. July 2008, 21:29: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
Just finished a fabulous crocheted judge's wig from Hookarama by Rachael Matthews. There's a pic of it here
on the far right. I shall be wearing it around town this winter to keep my ears warm!

That looks wonderful, and should certainly keep yor ears warm - but isn't it a bit heavy?

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, it is rather heavy! But quite wonderful, so I'll put up with the weight. Also totally impractical if it rains. [Biased]
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knitters, meet busstop_girl, whose first post on the Ship was:
quote:
I've got a lot of time on my hands at the mo', and I'm looking for good causes to knit for. I'm knitting baby hats for Save The Children's 'Knit One, Save One' campaign, and working on a blanket for Feed The Children:
Save the Children UK
Feed the Children
Does anyone know of any other charities asking for knitted items? (My family can only take so many loo roll covers...)

I thought this would be the right place to direct her question. Enjoy.

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Chiming in now with a reply, I also knit preemie hats for a similar organization in the US, Stitches from the Heart. It's great because I am not a good knitter and yet I can finish a hat in an evening sitting with the family and chatting or watching TV.
The other charity I have knitted for is the "Christmas at Sea" program for the Seaman's Church Institute. This is a ministry of The Episcopal Church, for merchant sailors. These men work in treacherous conditions, often have nothing at all, and frequently come from climates where they don't own heavy clothing. The Christmas at Sea program collects handknit hats and scarves (there are specific patterns they want you to use, downloadable from the link above). I was impressed with the work of the Seaman's Church and was glad to help out with a couple of hats and scarves. (Not nearly as fast as knitting a preemie hat!)

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Chiming in now with a reply, I also knit preemie hats for a similar organization in the US, Stitches from the Heart.
The other charity I have knitted for is the "Christmas at Sea" program for the Seaman's Church Institute. The Christmas at Sea program collects handknit hats and scarves (there are specific patterns they want you to use, downloadable from the link above).

Showing my total ignorance of knitting economics today - I gave up knitting many decades ago when buying clothes made in Thailand or Sri Lanka became a whale of a lot cheaper than buying the yarn to make something. Can you knit these things for less than you can buy and donate ready-made, or is the idea that hand made is somehow better even though it costs a lot more (even before counting the value of the time)?
Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Random question: apparently last Saturday's Guardian had a 'Rebel Knitter's Guide' in it, which looked interesting.

I missed it, and I can't find it online. Is it worth searching out?

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle Ringer:
Can you knit these things for less than you can buy and donate ready-made, or is the idea that hand made is somehow better even though it costs a lot more (even before counting the value of the time)?

The answer is a huge big 'It depends.' With some yarns it is possible to knit or crochet thing cheaper than you can buy. I am knitting my daughter a long-line cardigan with a cabled design, in a beautiful yarn that feels like a blend of cotton and silk. This will cost £15 in materials. This is about half the price that an item of similar quality would be sold for in the shops. My time in knitting and design hasn't been accounted for, but I tend to knit in the 'odd moments' of the day, eg sitting on a bus, watching a DVD. I multi-task and get knitting done, others simply read, watch the DVD or stare into space.

In the past people knitted and crocheted to provide clothing and bedding for their families. You couldn't just pop to the shops and buy school cardigans etc. The situation is so different now. People knit and crochet because they want to do so. It is a hobby with a practical end product. It is a hobby that requires little initial cash outlay, and you can add to your tools and supplies as and when you see fit.

Hand-made isn't necessarily better than factory-made, a lot depends on the skill of the person doing the hand-making! But when I sit down to make, I can make things that are truly unique and things that meet my needs and desires exactly. Shop-bought cardigans are always too long in the arm for me. Me-made stuff fits.

Knitting and crochet are artistic, creative outlets. People do it because they enjoy the process and the finished products.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
Random question: apparently last Saturday's Guardian had a 'Rebel Knitter's Guide' in it, which looked interesting.

According to this site it is due to be published this coming Saturday.
Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lola

Ship's kink
# 627

- Posted      Profile for Lola     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Knitters, meet busstop_girl, whose first post on the Ship was:
quote:
I've got a lot of time on my hands at the mo', and I'm looking for good causes to knit for. I'm knitting baby hats for Save The Children's 'Knit One, Save One' campaign, and working on a blanket for Feed The Children:
Save the Children UK
Feed the Children
Does anyone know of any other charities asking for knitted items? (My family can only take so many loo roll covers...)

I thought this would be the right place to direct her question. Enjoy.

Mamacita, Heavenly Host

Dear busstop_girl

Samaritan's Purse have knitting patterns for toys and hats as part of Operation Christmas Child which is a shoebox gift programme. Part of the programme objective is to show God's love to needy children at Christmas and make them feel special and valued.

The clothes and toys that someone has gone to the trouble of making for them are apparently very popular with the kids but alas I can't knit [Frown]

Lola

Posts: 951 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My local University chaplaincy has a sign saying something along the lines of "join us knitting babywear for the baby ward at [local hospital]"

Sadly I can't join them as my shoulder/arm hurts when I knit for anything more than a few minutes. But that might be worth a shot?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Bonnie Babies takes knits for premature babies or you could knit some wooly breasts. Then Earwig has this Oxfam link in her sig.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

- Posted      Profile for Lilly Rose   Email Lilly Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the information about knitting for Operation Christmas Child.
At work we are a collection point for shoe boxes - it's always really exciting to see the van being filled up with brightly coloured boxes when they come to collect.
I didn't know they had knitting patterns as well, so I will do some knitting myself, and encourage others to do the same.
[Smile]
Lilly Rose

Posts: 102 | From: Midlands UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
busstop_girl
Apprentice
# 13952

- Posted      Profile for busstop_girl   Author's homepage   Email busstop_girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Mamacita!

So many great suggestions, thanks everyone! Am really looking forward to exploring all these sites. Quite fancy knitting a breast, actually! (PDF: http://www.lcgb.org/knittedbreastpattern.pdf)

Have lots of 'caucasian' flesh coloured wool left over from knitting a Captain Jack Sparrow for my sister's 30th: http://flickr.com/photos/bus_stop/2620886613/in/pool-jeangreenhowe/
Yarrrr!!!

--------------------
"We should take a bus, to somewhere else, to something new
Thank God we're alive and bite off more than we can chew..."
www.busstop.typepad.com

Posts: 12 | From: (Brighton and) Hove, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

I like charity knitting because I can forge merrily along and not worry about pesky details like gauge and size of the finished product. [Big Grin] There'll be somebody on the other end of the Afghans for Afghans pipeline that can wear my socks, mittens, or hats. With hats I can also use up odds and ends of various yarns. Sometimes the leftovers are enough for making socks or mittens, too, but I haven't quite convinced myself that fraternal-twins are just as nice as identical. They do ask knitters to try to avoid too much use of white or light colors (harder to keep looking clean), but it did allow me to cheerfully prune out the mostly-synthetic yarn I had in my stash. And the yarn I got rid of went to a LYS for a charity they support, so that was a win-win situation, too.

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:

According to this site it is due to be published this coming Saturday.
Doctor Who fans should be sure to get it, as it features the UK woman who wrote the knitting pattern for the Adiposes and the ensuing copyright fuss that resulted.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Belle Ringer
Shipmate
# 13379

- Posted      Profile for Belle Ringer   Email Belle Ringer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Can you knit these things for less than you can buy and donate ready-made

In the past people knitted and crocheted to provide clothing and bedding for their families. You couldn't just pop to the shops and buy school cardigans etc. The situation is so different now. It is a hobby with a practical end product. People do it because they enjoy the process and the finished products.
Thanks for the explanation. I was taught knitting as a way to get a decent sweater, but I never liked knitting, too heavy. And when I moved out of snow country I didn't need woolens anymore.

Switched to crochet, but it's usually to holey to have any practical function like keeping the air conditioning off or dust protecting the blankets. So I made doilies which was fun until (a) the family and friends told me they didn't want any more doilies and (b) I realized what cost me 24 hours of hands-on time sold at Walmart (made in China) for $3.99, which meant people thought it a minor token gift not a real gift.

I rarely watch TV but I kinda miss having something to do when waiting in airports or sitting through meetings. I might try quilting, I never liked geometric granny squares, but I accidentally wandered into a quilt show once, wow! Amazing art. Immediately wondered if I can do that. I'm not much of a sewer, just things like 4-gore skirts *with pockets*. But my new sewing machine supposedly does quilting. Must be a web page or two will teach me the hows. [Smile]

Posts: 5830 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by busstop_girl:
Have lots of 'caucasian' flesh coloured wool left over from knitting a Captain Jack Sparrow for my sister's 30th: http://flickr.com/photos/bus_stop/2620886613/in/pool-jeangreenhowe/
Yarrrr!!!

Heavenly Host Stoo would love that link!

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Can you knit these things for less than you can buy and donate ready-made, or is the idea that hand made is somehow better even though it costs a lot more (even before counting the value of the time)?

Well, I must admit that I purchase my yarn for these projects at one of the large craft chain stores and can find some cute but inexpensive yarns there. These have worked just fine for the two charities I knit for; they carry a lot of cute baby yarns, and also large skeins of acrylic in plain colors, which is what is requested for the mariner's caps. I think the other part of the equation is that there's an almost pastoral component to it, in that the recipient knows that a real-life person made this for him or her, and since the recipients are in need, there's a sense of having something special done for them.

[Deleted my own double post. [Hot and Hormonal] ]

[ 25. July 2008, 14:46: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I never liked knitting, too heavy.

That totally depends on the yarn you use and the pattern. Last Christmas I made a 2m (7') long lace scarf that weighed 25g (1oz). It felt totally insubstantial, but yet was beautifully warm.

quote:
Switched to crochet, but it's usually too holey to have any practical function like keeping the air conditioning off or dust protecting the blankets.
Again, it is down to the yarn and the style is used. It is perfectly possible to make a close crocheted fabric that will prevent dust from settling on blankets. Mind you, if you are going to do that, why not just crochet the blanket instead. [Big Grin]

There are many, many practical things that can be made from knitting & crochet and can be made & used in hot climates. I have an aversion to non-practical knits & crochet. I don't like toilet roll holders shaped like dollies. I don't like doilies. Both seem like 'fru-fru' to me and rather pointless. I would far rather make a dolly for a child, or incorporate the doily pattern into a jacket.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I was taught knitting as a way to get a decent sweater, but I never liked knitting, too heavy.

You are missing a World of Fun. Try googling 'modular' + 'knitting' or 'domino' + 'knitting' or 'freeform' + 'knitting'. There is a style of knitting which can be done in small shapes, and used to create - well, anything really. Things to wear, accessories, throws, jewellery - art, in fact.

And there are so many gorgeous yarns - cotton and silk mixes are my favourite. And the colours! How can you look at Noro Yarns for example, and not want to start knitting immediately?

So there you have it. Creative technique with endless scope for own design, sensuous materials and sumptuous palette - what's not to like?

Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

- Posted      Profile for Lilly Rose   Email Lilly Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi babybear,
Your lacy scarf sounds gorgeous - what colour was it?
Lilly Rose

[Yipee]

Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

Hi Firenze,
Thanks for the tips you gave Belle Ringer.
I've googled modular knitting and found some stunning work that is very inspiring!
Thanks
Lilly Rose

[Yipee]

Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
I multi-task and get knitting done, others simply read, watch the DVD or stare into space.

Or play on an e-Ship [Biased]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just got a lovely letter from Save the Children, because I knitted a baby hat for them. It's a form letter, simply because they had such a huge response to their baby hat knitting campaign, but it's nice to feel appreciated even so. They say they're getting 2,500 baby hats delivered to their head office every day! They're being sent to places like Tibet to keep new born babies' heads warm so that they don't die.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

True story: Earlier this year my daughter happened to mention my knitting preemie hats during a conversation with other girls in her dorm. One of them was very moved and said that she had been a preemie and had received a handknit cap as an infant. It really does touch people's lives. Good on all of you charity knitters!

--------------------

Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

Hello busstop_girl,
If you google oxfam knitting patterns, you'll find quite a few ideas for knitting for them.
Best wishes,
Lilly Rose

[Smile]

babybear
# 34

quote:

The Rebel Knitter's Guide was published today. IT can be bought in all moderate-to-good newsagents. [Big Grin]

It can also be examined on-line.

Avalon
Shipmate
# 8094

- Posted      Profile for Avalon         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about to stitch up another jumper. I thought I'd mention it because I've knitted it in alpaca which I think is quite a light yarn. And it seems to drape rather more softly than wool too. Where I live it's currently not making double figures (celsius) during the day and reaching about -7 overnight so I'm not averse to a good heavy knit and zealously turn leftovers into hats and gloves. I've never tried socks though. There's always a first time.

I took to knitting originally as a teenager because I was sick of buying neutral coloured knits of one allover colour so that it went with the maximum number of items of my clothing as possible. If I did it myself I could fair isle in a band of all the colours I normally wore. About 30 years later it still exists... It's just that it's on a daughter not me because I sort of got a bit bigger. It's probably that reactiveness to colour that keeps me knitting. Plus living in a cool climate (although my other knit at the moment is a cotton top for summer). Plus the fact that you don't need to be plugged in and can do it anywhere.

Ah.. And that other knit - cotton top for summer - does mean reading a graph. I use any flat edged object lying around (often the multitude of bobbins that happen when winding bits of thread whilst knitting the average graphed pattern) to alleviate going cross eyed.

busstop_girl
Apprentice
# 13952

- Posted      Profile for busstop_girl   Author's homepage   Email busstop_girl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would really like to be able to knit motifs/letters/shapes into my knitting. I believe this is officially called 'intarsia'.

Is it simple to learn? I have good basic knitting skills but M.E. has left me easily confused!

Thanks for any advice! God bless, Kx

--------------------
"We should take a bus, to somewhere else, to something new
Thank God we're alive and bite off more than we can chew..."
www.busstop.typepad.com

Posts: 12 | From: (Brighton and) Hove, UK | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Start simple, with just a few colours in largish blocks.

I just finished two of these and was driven mad by the outline around the dinosaur's spikes. It meant trying to carry the brown yarn over, or weaving it through too many stitches, or having separate lengths of yarn in use for each spike. I wouldn't recommend something like that as a first intarsia project.

I do recommend having a long length of loose yarn at each colour section of your design, rather than winding the yarn into small balls, or around a bobbin, as they are easier to pull through the tangles you will get at the back.

I found this website helpful, but there are lots of other you could look at online with good diagrams or photographs of how to join in the new colours

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
I would really like to be able to knit motifs/letters/shapes into my knitting. I believe this is officially called 'intarsia'.

I would recommend Kaffe Fassett knitting books - not only the technique but v droolworthy patterns (simple shapes! more colours!)

I think the most colours I have intarsia'ed on a single row was in the region of 30 or so.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:

I would recommend Kaffe Fassett knitting books - not only the technique but v droolworthy patterns (simple shapes! more colours!)

I think the most colours I have intarsia'ed on a single row was in the region of 30 or so.

I would recommend Kaffe Fassett's books too - and add that when I heard him talk back in January I asked how he kept the back of his work tidy - he said why bother - he showed the back of his work and it was a mess!! He said life is too short and there are far too many projects to be getting on with to be keeping the back of his work tidy. This was a revelation and I found it liberating as I had neatness drummed into me as a child. I still try to keep things tidy though, out of choice rather than feeling I have to.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
Originally posted by Lilly Rose in the Styx:
Earwig, I was intrigued by your knitting tiny hats link. I saw the little hats on the smoothies last year in my local supermarket,
and wondered what it was all about, so it was interesting to find out.
I'll have a closer look at it and think about doing some knitting. Are you knitting them?

Hello! I've not knitted any, actually, I just saw the idea and thought I'd put it in my sig, in case anyone else was interested. I can't actually knit!

But, I crochet. Boy, do I crochet. I've just finished a baby blanket for a friend's sister, it's made of baby blue with turquoise and orange star-shaped flowers in the middle of the squares.

What have you been knitting? What projects have other people here been working on?

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
But, I crochet.

So do I, but only on holiday. It's more portable, more easily stopped and started. I took some cotton yarn to Crete and started a multi-directional crochet: work a square in a combination of single and dbl crochet, then start working off one side of that, then work a third piece across the width of both previous bits and so on.

I won't say the tension's immaculate, and the neckline is a bit wobbly (but the great thing is, you can always go round it and fill it in).

Graven Image
Shipmate
# 8755

- Posted      Profile for Graven Image   Email Graven Image   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I do not knit, but I want to give a gift to someone who does. Do any of you who post on this thread who do knit have any suggestions?
Posts: 2641 | From: Third planet from the sun. USA | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Amos

Shipmate
# 44

- Posted      Profile for Amos     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would go for a gift certificate from a really luscious yarn shop, either a local one or one she can buy from over the web.

--------------------
At the end of the day we face our Maker alongside Jesus--ken

Posts: 7667 | From: Summerisle | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
But, I crochet.

So do I, but only on holiday. It's more portable, more easily stopped and started. ...
is crochet something you can take on a plane? I miss taking my knitting, if only to while away the hours waiting before boarding, but of course knitting needles are now on the list of banned items in hand luggage.
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daisy what about bamboo knitting needles? Would they be allowed?

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I'm not sure I'd be happy to risk trying - last time I flew the checkin (i.e. the last opportunity to put something in the hold luggage) told my friend that she could take her (expensive) suncream on board, but when we went through security to get into the departure lounge she was told she couldn't, so it was an expensive experience, as would losing my bamboo needles.
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Quick heads-up for any London-based scrapbookers/stampers:

Hugal and I were supposed to be taking his mum to the Stamping & Scrapbooking Fair at Alexandra Palace on Saturday. However, we now can't go due to a family bereavement.

If anyone would like 3 tickets, PM me and I'll try to get them to you.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Coffee Cup
Shipmate
# 13506

- Posted      Profile for Coffee Cup   Email Coffee Cup   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:
quote:
But, I crochet.

So do I, but only on holiday. It's more portable, more easily stopped and started. ...
is crochet something you can take on a plane? I miss taking my knitting, if only to while away the hours waiting before boarding, but of course knitting needles are now on the list of banned items in hand luggage.
Delurking to say that I've taken crochet onto a plane; the last long-haul flight I took resulted in a hat. And a slightly confused look from the person sitting beside me when I started. I was using a plastic hook though, not sure how a lace-work steel hook would fare going through security....
Posts: 66 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Thank you Coffee Cup - I'll brush up on my crochet skills before my next long-haul flight. Requests, anyone ? [Big Grin]
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
This is a bit of showing off but I have finished a Fairy doll for my Goddaughter. As the pattern was from my head and I did not write it down I am afraid this is a one off.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Amos:
I would go for a gift certificate from a really luscious yarn shop, either a local one or one she can buy from over the web.

I love the sound of that. It is something that I would definitely appreciate. Mind you, I would also appreciate a gentle blue merino yarn. [Big Grin]

Sister Mary Precious, if you decide get a gift certificate and you need any suggestions of where to get one just give a shout. We will be able to recommend somewhere.

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20  21  22  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016