homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I learned to knit this year because I wanted to make a Harry Potter scarf, and I picked it up very easily because of my experience with other fabric / yarn based crafts like embroidery, dressmaking and friendship bracelets. I've been knitting for about 9 months now and am in the middle of making a jumper for a friend of mine from a pattern in the afore mentioned knitty.com.

I love to knit socks, they are quite possibly my favourite thing to knit because in their basic form they are very easy, but they can be made more complicated with intricate patterns and designs. It was my birthday last week and my friend bought me a book with sock patterns in. I can't weait to finish his jumper and get started on one of these projects - I certainly have enough sock yarn to keep me going! I always knit my socks on 2.25mm double pointed needles, as that makes sense to me and I like the way that method works, but I would suggest that the best way is to try out the different methods and see what you find works best for you.

I go to two differnt knitting groups at the moment - one that meets near me in a bar, and one that meets all over the place in central London. I really like meeting up with other knitters and seeing what they have made. Since i've lived in London i've started taking my knitting with me to do on the buses and Underground. I find knitting on the bus hard as I get travel sick after a little while, but can stand in a train full of passengers and quite happily knit away.

I would reccomend something like wristwarmers or mittens as an easy pattern to follow for a beginner, plus they are not too big so you are not put off at the very beginning by having thousands of stitches to cast on. My first knitted projest (I crocheted the scarf in the end) were some Mrs Beetons from Knitty - they are a fairly simple pattern that works out really well.

LMM

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can someone recommend me a nice big machine washable wool/yarn? I have a pattern book for Rowan Big Wool and Biggy Print and, while they are gorgeous, they're handwash only and a bit on the pricey side. I don't mind something that's not 100% wool - just looking for something chunky and colourful.

Thanks.

Posts: 4266 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
spugmeistress
Shipmate
# 5795

- Posted      Profile for spugmeistress   Email spugmeistress   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Magnum Chunky by King Cole - its 75% acrylic, 25% wool and therefore machine washable - pretty substitutable for Rowan Biggy and a hell of a lot cheaper. Shame it doesn't come in such nice colours though [Frown]
Which reminds me, I have some actual Rowan to knit a chunky hat that I should really get round to now my sister is threatening to steal the one I knitted for myself last year.

rach =)

--------------------
spuggie (aka rach :)

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't do knitting.

For the past year thought I have been pretty obsessed with card-making. I reckon I have made close to 500 Christmas cards this year - 100 personal ones and the rest have been sold. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I am not sure I want to see another Christmas card until next year now!

In the past I have also been a bit of a patchwork queen and I think I have probably made about 8 double bed sized quilts - about half of which have been hand-stitched. I have also done cross-stitch and dress-making.

I like most crafts and will try most things, but knitting just doesn't appeal!

Auntie Doris x

[ 13. November 2006, 20:50: Message edited by: Auntie Doris ]

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
SemiFae
Shipmate
# 11972

- Posted      Profile for SemiFae   Author's homepage   Email SemiFae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Fantastic, a crafty thread!

I finally learnt to knit last summer; I'd failed to learn when Mum tried to teach me but Paton's Woolcraft and a fairly simple poncho pattern got me going. I use big needles for 2 reasons: 1, I can finish a project fairly quickly and 2, when the cats try to help it's easier to see how to fix it.

I'm currently knitting a scarf to see how I get on with a new (to me) yarn called Carneval. It's a wide ribbon type yarn and knitting it on 8mm needles (the manufacturer suggests 10 or 12mm) is giving a fantastic chainmail type look. I can't find any patterns specifically for it but I've got a couple of other patterns calling for 12mm needle with the same tension so will try using 1 of them. Next project is a jumper in purple Albany yarn, I was givan 10 balls last Christmas.

My other projects on the go include making Drapes for the pen my chap's siamese will spend much of the day in (when she's not on his shoulder) at the GCCF Supreme show on the 25th November. This one gets priority at the moment because of the deadline.

I also make cards and have my first craft fair in 10 years, Mum and I used to do lots of them before I left home, on Saturday. I need to buy more card later to do some more Christmassy ones. I use pressed flowers and leaves with interesting papers, the Christmas ones are all holly and ivy.

If I get bored of all that there's also cross-stitch, though my last piece got destroyed by one of the cats before I finished it. When it's cold enough I also have a large latchhook rug to finish!

No wonder I'm no good at housework [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"and even though it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of song with nothing on my lips but Alleliua" -Leonard Cohen

Posts: 130 | From: Gloucestershire, UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Widgery
Shipmate
# 11950

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Widgery   Email Mrs Widgery   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cranmer's baggage:
I can't believe that someone is unable to learn to knit. Your stitch'n'bitch group is obviously made of less stern stuff than mine, if they gave up trying to teach you. If you live in the bit that's gert by sea to the south, I'd love to try to teach you to knit, and to introduce you to my s'n'b group.

Thanks for the offer CB - let's see, not so much girt by sea to the south as girt by the murray and the border (we are on the NSW side) although we are due to head sydneywards in three weeks (panic, [Eek!] panic [Eek!] - there are boxes everywhere!!). Is that accessible geography for you?

My s'n'b group would normally be pretty tough, but I'm the youngest at s'n'b by about 30 years and I always take Baby Widget with me - they turn into putty in his admittedly sticky little hands and they spend more time playing with him than teaching me to knit!! Still, a kid can't have too many grandmothers.

--------------------
Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Posts: 100 | From: Further north than previously, although not tropical yet | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have all you knitters out there seen this?

Don't know whether to [Killing me] or [Overused] !

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I saw it on display at The Knitting and Stitching Show last month at Alexandra Palace. It is certainly eye-catching, and mind-boggling!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Widgery:
My s'n'b group would normally be pretty tough, but I'm the youngest at s'n'b by about 30 years and I always take Baby Widget with me - they turn into putty in his admittedly sticky little hands and they spend more time playing with him than teaching me to knit!! Still, a kid can't have too many grandmothers.

Hopefully you'll find some younger knitters in Coat Hanger City. I know of at least two under 50, because I'm related to them. [Biased] In my own s'n'b group those of us over 45 are a distinct rarity, and there seem to be a steady stream of babies, all of whom are showered with all sorts of trendy bits of attire.

Speaking of knitting for babies: during some web surfing last night I discovered a pattern for baby's first DNA model. I've never been into knitting dolls or teddy bears, but I reckon this might be fun.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Retsoc
Shipmate
# 12027

- Posted      Profile for Retsoc   Author's homepage   Email Retsoc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
I don't do knitting.

For the past year thought I have been pretty obsessed with card-making. I reckon I have made close to 500 Christmas cards this year - 100 personal ones and the rest have been sold. I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I am not sure I want to see another Christmas card until next year now!

Wow, I thought I was a bit obsessive about card making, but I'm a novice by you, Aunty Doris! Consider me in awe!

quote:

In the past I have also been a bit of a patchwork queen and I think I have probably made about 8 double bed sized quilts - about half of which have been hand-stitched. I have also done cross-stitch and dress-making.

I love quilting. I've made several double bed and single bed quilts, numerous cot quilts, and probably hundreds of table mats.

At the moment I am making bags. I went to a number of charity shops and bought out their reduced jeans - usually the ones nobody would wear. I've cut them up into squares and made a variety of retro bags. I'm trying to develop something of an alternative career if possible - I'm feeling burnt out in my "real" job (teaching. Not sure the alternative career is feasible, but it's something to aim at.

Retsoc

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 896 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Retsoc:
Wow, I thought I was a bit obsessive about card making, but I'm a novice by you, Aunty Doris! Consider me in awe!

Obsessive pretty much defines me around card-making!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs Widgery
Shipmate
# 11950

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Widgery   Email Mrs Widgery   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QUOTE]
Speaking of knitting for babies: during some web surfing last night I discovered a pattern for baby's first DNA model. I've never been into knitting dolls or teddy bears, but I reckon this might be fun.

Now that is cool - and the sputnik thingy - i'm going to pass these patterns onto the MIL and then smile sweetly and see what happens. She was a biologist pre-retirement, so she'll probably make one for herself as well!!

Actually I'm hoping, seeing how the move will put us closer to family that the MIL and I can get together and try for some knitting lessons. Big Widget is old enough and wants to learn too.

--------------------
Kids! Bringing about Armageddon can be dangerous. Do not attempt it in your home.

Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Posts: 100 | From: Further north than previously, although not tropical yet | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mrs Widget,

Here's a DNA scarf for you to practise your knitting when you learn!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love the idea of knitted DNA, but I think it's a bit beyond me at the moment - I'm still practicing increasing and decreasing.

I'm also getting back into rag rug making, of the proggy variety, and seat covers for hard chairs.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would like to voice a big harumph! A certain young Gremlin asked me to knit a hat for him, and described the hat he wanted (a square crowed hat with 4 tassels). I finished it this afternoon, however when he tried it on he decided that it looked too silly!

I have now had to take out a pair of tiny scissors and chopped off the crown so that I can knit a regular crown. [Frown] This is the last time he designs knitwear.

bb

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Last year I was asked if I could do a full sized adult version of a hat I'd made for a baby, and I agreed. There were lots of issues about scale which I gradually worked out and it took a long time to finish the project. Each time the intended hat wearer visited I'd try it on his head and we'd agree about shaping. This time last year we had a final fitting, tried it on, agreed it was fine and I finished it off, sewing in all the ends, at which point the wearer said it wasn't right at all and didn't fit and wouldn't do. So I ripped back almost to the beginning of the hat and started over. Fortunately the last version fixed the remaining bugs in the design and a wearable adult sized version was finished in time for Christmas, but I could have shot the guy for having told me the hat would do and letting me tuck in the loose bits in the first place.

I just made a fingerless glove for my left hand by guesswork, so the challenge is whether I can make the right hand glove look the same.

'frin

'frin

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

- Posted      Profile for Hazey*Jane   Email Hazey*Jane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ok, inspired by this thread I've decided to try to knit a pair of socks as a Christmas present according to this pattern.

I'm halfway through my first round. Should I be worried that I'm feeling doubtful that a foot will be able to pass through the hole?!

Hazey*Jane

Ship's Biscuit Crumbs
# 8754

Ignore me. I've just spread the stiches out as far as they'll go along the needles and it does look plausable. D'oh!

Hazey (who is obviously not ready to design her own patterns yet!)

SemiFae
Shipmate
# 11972

- Posted      Profile for SemiFae   Author's homepage   Email SemiFae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love my current yarn and have nearly finished the scarf. I want to do a hat to match! Does anyone have a pattern for a chonky knit hat (pref' 8mm needles)?

--------------------
"and even though it all went wrong, I'll stand before the Lord of song with nothing on my lips but Alleliua" -Leonard Cohen

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
...and I tend to do it while I'm reading threads on SoF! [Big Grin]

wow, that's never occurred to me! My mother used to knit while driving; nervewracking for me, as the oldest daughter - I had to sit in the front seat and keep my eyes on the red light and tell her when it turned green, so she could drop it in her lap and drive to the next stoplight.

I tend to knit while watching DVDs (I have no television, otherwise), especially the audio-commentary track where I've already seen the film once.

Tea gnome, as you bemoan your counting ability, have mercy upon yourself and bear in mind that part of the challenge is learning/knowing/remembering from what part of the stitch/square one counts, you know? It's not quite as easy as it sounds...!

oooh, babybear, I love the photo of the spiral crown of the Odessa hat (scroll down page) - very cool!

I tend to make up patterns - I'll see a particular pattern (I don't mean pattern for a finished item, I mean pattern of stitches--) and think, oooh, that would look cool if I combine it with this other thing over there... some of them work really well and it's always fun to experiment, to learn what makes which effects.

Learning knitters: give yourself permission to tear out freely. And also give yourself permission to NOT tear out a mistake... sometimes I'll look at a newly-discovered mistake, midway down a sizable piece, and think, "hey, that's what makes it a HANDknit piece!" and decide to leave it. Other times I'll tear down & fix, or work the single stitch up & down (hard to do with cables...). It's all good fun. [Big Grin]

Roseofsharon, I'm with you - I like smocking but have a hard time finding applications... *sigh*

gizzie, I love the idea of knitting your own hat as a male rite of passage [Yipee]

basket case, I think you mean fingerless gloves...? There's a proper name for those, but I've forgotten it. [Roll Eyes]

This is so inspiring, y'all - thanks for making my evening.

--------------------
Erin & Friend; Been there, done that; Ruth musical

Posts: 6263 | From: California | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
oooh, babybear, I love the photo of the spiral crown of the Odessa hat (scroll down page) - very cool!
Odessa hat looks very impressive to non-knitters but is actually quite quick and easy to do. I've made about 8 or 9 of them as gifts. I gave one which was done with beads to DIL who wore it one cold night to church. Apparently she received many compliments and found that a whole heap of people could not have listened to the sermon as they were either busy counting beads or working out how they were used in knitting.

Fingerless gloves? Also known as wristwarmers if that is what you were thinking of. Easy and quick to do. Google for Mrs Beeton and wristwarmer for a slightly fancy pair.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
sometimes I'll look at a newly-discovered mistake, midway down a sizable piece, and think, "hey, that's what makes it a HANDknit piece!" and decide to leave it.

Ah. To me, it equates handknitting, or indeed any handicraft with inferiorly produced items. I am as particular in my crafts as I am when I am writing and designing computer programs.

I would suggest that learner knitters learn the importance of 'good enough' and also how to create an intentional ladder to get back to a mistake and then correct it. 'Good enough' is a recognition that things do not have to be 100% perfect all of the time, and that as long as an item is 'fit for purpose' then that is 'good enough'. There are times when we could improve our work, but the returns measured against the amount of work needing done is not acceptable.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Almost finished the first front of the weskit I started last week. I am doing something which I've used successfully in a previous one, and which I wonder is not done more frequently - which is to knit an integral edging (instead of doing ribs for the edges/armholes as a separate strip or pick-up-and-knit).

I knitted the first 10 rows or so in garter stitch (these begin to form the point at the bottom of the front), introducing stocking stitch from the middle out, so that I end up, once past the shaping, with all stocking stitch, but a band of garter at the front edge. As I approach the armhole decrease, same thing, introduce garter stitch below what will be the edge.

Anyone ever tried this on a larger garment?

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze,
I have used an integral garter stitch edge on adult garments. My mother-in-law used to use it on almost everything. Only problem is, I don't much like garter stitch edgings (and if I do use them, I prefer the front bands knitted in vertical ridges, not horizontal). Working integral bands in rib or moss (seed) stitch doesn't work, because you need them at a finer tension, and slightly stretched, in order for them not to stretch and 'bag'. You can get away with it on small children's things, but not the length of an adult garment. But if you're happy with the garter stitch option, it's one less element of finishing, and that's a good thing. [Smile]

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ann

Curious
# 94

- Posted      Profile for Ann   Email Ann   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by SemiFae:
I love my current yarn and have nearly finished the scarf. I want to do a hat to match! Does anyone have a pattern for a chonky knit hat (pref' 8mm needles)?

This shows a way of knitting a chunky hat - use your scarf as a tension sample. Size 11 needles appear to be 8mm.

I've knitted a hat like that (using ordinary weight yarn and thinner needles - to go with a scarf which I used to get the number of stitches right). The only difference was that I did my decreases at the beginning of each count of stitches (I put six markers in at even intervals and knit together the first two stitches after each marker) - I could understand that easier. Oh - you can substitute chocolate for wine.

--------------------
Ann

Posts: 3271 | From: IO 91 PI | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

- Posted      Profile for Lynn MagdalenCollege   Author's homepage   Email Lynn MagdalenCollege   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
quote:
Originally posted by Lynn MagdalenCollege:
sometimes I'll look at a newly-discovered mistake, midway down a sizable piece, and think, "hey, that's what makes it a HANDknit piece!" and decide to leave it.

Ah. To me, it equates handknitting, or indeed any handicraft with inferiorly produced items. I am as particular in my crafts as I am when I am writing and designing computer programs.
For me, it was about the attempt to disable my truly-paralyzing tendency to perfectionism.

I am blessed; I was raised to believe "handmade" is superior to commercially made because personal care and pride was involved. In my childhood experience, it was superior: my mom made our clothes - but frankly, she tailored them - beautifully made and finished, much nicer than what the other kids were wearing off the shelves. So I'm delighted to give and receive handcrafted items. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a terrible day struggling with a mitred square yesterday.

I kept finding that I had an even number of stitches, usually because I'd forgotten to PSSO in the decrease row after struggling to K2tog with two strands of yarn and big needles.

Then it was a nightmare to undo the row to rectify the mistake, as the fibres on the hairy yarns kept tangling with each other. I kept losing stitches to the row below, and having to unpick yet more.

Then I found I'd done several rows in the wrong yarn (this was a four colour, striped square), so had to do more unpicking.

Eventually I got to the final row/stitch, laid the thing out to check which edge I was picking up from next. It was back-to-front! [Mad]

It seems that I missed out the first row after picking up the stitches from the previous square, and had completed the whole thing wrong side out.

At that point I decided that I was too tired to fight with it any more, and that I should tackle the latest unpicking after a night's sleep. [Snore]

I'm pleased to say that today has been more successful!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

When it's not really obvious which is the front and which is the back, I will put a big stitch holder on the front side so that I keep track of it more readily... it's a thought.

And yes, there are some yarns which are incredibly hard to re-use... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
I had a terrible day struggling with a mitred square yesterday.

Then it was a nightmare to ...
Then I found I'd done several rows in the wrong yarn ...

Eventually I got to the final row/stitch, laid the thing out to check which edge I was picking up from next. It was back-to-front! [Mad]

A fairly standard technique in these circumstances is to relegate the offending item to the 'naughty corner'. Sometimes the bad knitting only has to spend the night there, sometimes it takes a few days and then it decides to behave itself. [Big Grin]
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
A fairly standard technique in these circumstances is to relegate the offending item to the 'naughty corner'. Sometimes the bad knitting only has to spend the night there, sometimes it takes a few days and then it decides to behave itself. [Big Grin]

I swear that sometimes the "naughty corner" so affects the recalcitrant piece, that it makes amends. Stitch counts which were off seem to right themselves! [Yipee]

--------------------

Fool of a Took

chock full o' nuts
# 7412

- Posted      Profile for Fool of a Took   Email Fool of a Took   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
What I made for the Nutter

Back to the knitting store today for supplies for Christmas Project #1... the same thing, slightly larger and more cousin-sized.

Posts: 1205 | From: Toronto-ish | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, Took, that is really beautiful! And your Little One is such a cutie. [Angel]

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Penny Lane
Shipmate
# 3086

- Posted      Profile for Penny Lane   Email Penny Lane   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The tea thread prompts me to ask if anyone has a favorite pattern/instructions for knitting or crocheting a tea cozy? Much obliged if you'd share!

ET correct spelling - oops!

[ 18. November 2006, 16:43: Message edited by: Penny Lane ]

--------------------
~Penny

Posts: 1130 | From: North Carolina, USA | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lynn MagdalenCollege
Shipmate
# 10651

great pics, great subject matter, Fool o'Took [Big Grin]

--------------------

ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, I think I need a tea cosy too. My tea in the pot is getting unacceptably cold in between cups.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Took, the Nutter is sooooo gorgeous! And wearing such a nifty jumper [Axe murder] Well done.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Even the least experienced knitter could help to knit a river for WaterAid

--------------------

Retsoc
Shipmate
# 12027

- Posted      Profile for Retsoc   Author's homepage   Email Retsoc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Feeling quite pleased this evening - managed to finish off 6 denim patchwork bags this weekend, and they turned out well too.

Retsoc

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 896 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
SemiFae
Shipmate
# 11972

Thank you Ann!

This will be a first for me, I've never used circular needles before. As it's the blunt end of my needles my cats tend to attack I may manage to knit the hat without feline assistance.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I knitted a scarf on Friday night which my friend took away yesterday... I'm clearly doing something right! And my Mum's said she'll teach me to crochet...

Still need to understand knitting patterns a bit better - I'll try the baby stuff idea!

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
I'm also getting back into rag rug making, of the proggy variety...

Eigon, could you tell us a little about your rag rug making? My grandmother made rag rugs out of old clothing and I have such fond memories of those simple rugs in her living room. I'd love to hear how you make them, select the fabric, etc. (and also what proggy means).

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Finished my bookmark last night! [Big Grin] It's only taken me eleven months [Hot and Hormonal] And the pansy at the bottom's a little squinty, but you wouldn't notice. (Actually my flatmate said it looked like the mask face from the Scream films, so it spent the night tucked away on the bookshelf) But hey, it's finished. Now what shall I do?
Gnome
PS FoaT, The nutter looks so cute, and hasn't she grown big [Eek!]

[ 21. November 2006, 10:02: Message edited by: Tea gnome ]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Finished my bookmark last night! [Big Grin] It's only taken me eleven months [Hot and Hormonal] And the pansy at the bottom's a little squinty, but you wouldn't notice. (Actually my flatmate said it looked like the mask face from the Scream films, so it spent the night tucked away on the bookshelf) But hey, it's finished. Now what shall I do?
A case for your sunnies or ordinary glasses?

--------------------

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's just as well I don't wear glasses, cos I never manage to hang on to sunglasses for any respectable length of time at all, and if I do, I can't be bothered wearing them for the five minutes of sun we have a year [Biased] You've reminded me though that I've a big bit of crotchet waiting to be made into a cushion cover, so perhaps I'll do that. It's only been a year ongoing though, so perhaps it's too soon [Razz]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita - happy to oblige about rag rugs.

At the moment, I'm doing proggy rugs (or proddy), for which you take your old clothes, or whatever, and cut them into strips about 3" long and about 1" wide. You then use a special tool to pull the pieces halfway through your hessian/burlap sack, so you have two tufts. Keep going until the sack is covered.

I also do hooky rugs, where you cut a long strip of fabric which is hooked through the hessian sack to make a series of little lumps. For this you need a frame to keep the hessian taut - I use four lengths of scrap wood and four G clamps, and sew the hessian onto the wooden frame.
You can do the proggy rugs on your knee, and they also seem to grow faster than the hooky rugs. However, you can get quite a lot of fine detail with hooky that just isn't possible with proggy.

The last big rug I made was more of a "mixed media" effort. It had a pool at the bottom which was quilted, a waterfall formed by sewing strips of lace onto the backing, and the surrounding rocks, bushes and sky were a mixture of hooky and proggy rugging. I daren't put it on the floor while there are dogs in the house!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very interesting, Eigon! My grandma's rugs were the kind where she made long strips of fabric and then braided them. So the process you described is new to me. It sounds like it takes a lot of patience, but then I guess all our crafts do, in one way or another. I understand about keeping the pets away -- knitting and cats don't go so well together, either.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

The worst part about making proggy rugs is cutting all those little strips of fabric...very hard on the hands!
I made a small one about ten years ago, but in spite of having loads of fabric scraps have not managed to work up the enthusiasm to take up the scissors to start another!

--------------------

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The Little Fundie and I just got home from seeing Flushed Away and I am now obsessed with the sweater that Rita wore. Is there someone here who knows if there is a pattern for it somewhere? I Googled "Flushed Away sweater", but found nothing. Even though I'm willing to write my own pattern if necessary, I'd be happier with a good one.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

I haven't yet seen Flushed Away, so hopefully I am thinking about the right sweater.

The sweater is a fairly standard design, and there is a pattern for it at Knitty: Leo. Rita's sweater is a tighter fit so you might want to go down a size. She also has some coloured bands around the cuffs and neck. And instead of the roll neck it looks like there is a picot cast off edging.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Is this Rita, and this the sweater you mean?

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016