homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 22)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That sounds beautiful - hope we get photos!

I'm working on Nefertiti at the moment in cross stitch. It's a 40th birthday present for my sister-in-law, who is mad on all things Egypt. It's much smaller than I expected before I unpacked the kit!

Just finishing off the frame around her now. Since there have been so many different shades of brown involved, I have left the hat until last, so I get to use some greens for a change.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have started doing cross-stitch again. I haven't done any for many years, probably since my teens. I decided to make a sampler for my sister's baby. And here is picture of me, ably helped by my lovely assistant!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
That sounds beautiful - hope we get photos!

I'm working on Nefertiti at the moment in cross stitch. It's a 40th birthday present for my sister-in-law, who is mad on all things Egypt. It's much smaller than I expected before I unpacked the kit!

I think this is the Nefertiti link, Gill H. (But you still have to scroll down to the 10th row.)Gorgeous project, BTW. What a nice gift!

eta: Nice picture, Auntie Doris!

[ 19. January 2009, 16:55: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Yes, you are a stark raving looney, but that is just your normal state of being. [Smile]

Hey, I'm a host, it's an occupational hazard. [Big Grin]

quote:
However, you are perfectly capable of doing this project and your cross stitch skills will transfer over beautifully.
Thank you, that is what I was hoping to hear.

quote:
You did say the canvas was a simplified version of the window. Might it be appropriate to work on a textural stitch(es) on the clothing of the angels, and use petit point for the angels hands, feet, and faces, then use half cross stitch for the backgrounds. Perhaps you might use some back stitch on top, or couched work to indicate the panels in the window.
I like these ideas. I want to keep it pretty simple, for two reasons. First, since it's a copy of a stained-glass piece, I thought I should keep the variance of textures to a minimum. Not that stained glass doesn't have texture, but it's subtle. However, these suggestions don't sound like they would be overwhelming. The second reason for keeping it simple is that I tend to tackle a project with big plans and expectations and often end up getting frustrated.

Thank you!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, Wow! What are the dimensions of the canvas? (And yes, you probably are a loony, but since when did that stop any crafter?

The only thing I would add to babybear's excellent advice relates to knitting as well and that is to try to buy all that you need of a colour at one time because dye lots differ.

Also if you can't find an exact shade you want you can sew with two strands of different shades together in your needle (tweeding) which gives an interesting effect. This works too if you want a gradual shading effect.

Good luck, I'm sure the finished project will be worth it and it will give you a reminder of your mother-in -law's kind intention.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Huia, the canvas looks to be about 16" x 12". Thanks for the information about the tweedle technique; that sounds interesting!

(spelled tweedle wrong!)

[ 21. January 2009, 00:23: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:
.... And here is picture of me, ably helped by my lovely assistant!

Auntie Doris x

Is your lovely assistant as helpful as my 2 are? They seem to be convinced I need their help.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Okay, how about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7844193.stm

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If I could knit I'd do them a rainbow one. [Razz]

How on earth do you use an elbow to demonstrate breastfeeding? [Confused]

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sparrow:
Okay, how about this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_yorkshire/7844193.stm

There's an Aussie Yahoo group called knit4charities, easily findable on list of Yahoo groups, which makes this sort of thing. Last time it was for women who needed bra inserts following cancer surgery. There was apparently a good response. This group knits for homeless support, premmie babies, animal shelters, you name it.

Disclaimer: I am no a member of the group but know someone who is.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering how many of you are quilters? My mom and sister are in a quilting group and they're doing a neat project. They each picked a piece of fabric and they pass them from person to person so that in the end each person has made a square with each other person's fabric, then the original fabric chooser gets all the squares and puts them together as a quilt.

I haven't quilted before, though I'm interested in giving it a try. And I thought it would be very cool if a group of shippies did a project like this. Fabric isn't very heavy so it wouldn't be very expensive to send in the mail. Anyway, anyone interested in giving something like this a try?

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Ye Olde Motherboarde's tagline is "Ship's Quilter," but she doesn't make it onto this board too often. A few years ago several shipmates made a quilt for a beloved shipmate who was battling cancer. If you scroll down on this Mystery Worshipper Report from Molly's funeral, you'll see the quilt displayed.

--------------------

Emma-Jean
Shipmate
# 7165

- Posted      Profile for Emma-Jean   Author's homepage   Email Emma-Jean   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Awww.... that's such a cool thing to do.

I wonder if perhaps quilting isn't as common in other parts of the world. It seems "everyone" in Manitoba (Canada) quilts!

--------------------
"It is important to remember that for every oxidation there must be a corresponding reduction, and vice versa. When 4 electrons are formally removed from ethanol... they do not simply vanish" - Dr. Hultin

Posts: 422 | From: Winter-peg | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
In a fit of ambition, I bought some lovely material for my Easter outfit. It's French-blue silk shantung; I have in mind a suit with a skirt and jacket. My mother, who is an expert seamstress, has made suits with silk shantung before and will provide good leadership, but I'm planning to do the work myself, including making a mock-up of the suit first in polished cotton.
I think there should be enough left over to trim a hat, even!

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Sounds lovely. Easter here is autumn and can be very wet, absolutely gorgeous or unseasonably cold. Not really weather for that sort of material.

Then you can be the grandest lady in the Easter parade.

Previewed that link and italics worked and missed two typos! [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 01. February 2009, 22:43: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

Sounds gorgeous, AnnaB!

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks to Lothlorien posting a link a couple of christmasses ago, I bought yarn this weekend to make these fun slippers for a friend's birthday. I figure I ought to be able to manage the knitting (squares, just squares! Gotta keep them actually square though!) and I made a paper mock-up on Friday to check that I understood how they went together. Just hoping that I'll be able to have them finished for February 20th when we're away for the weekend somewhere where it's good to have slippers.

So I make that 18 days and I have one and a half squares done (told my friend yesterday that her slippers were three sixteenths ready!). If I can manage a square a day (which doesn't seem preposterous, they're only 10x10cm) then I'll be finished well in time. We shall see.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Sounds gorgeous, AnnaB!

Thanks, Mamacita (and Lothlorien)! I was really proud of myself for finding this material---it happened to be in the "home decorating" section and 50% off. Now, may God grant me the courage to cut into it... [Help]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sympathise with the fear of cutting into silk. You're being quite sensible in doing a mock-up first (says the person who isn't...).

My fellow northern Illinoisans do know about Vogue Fabrics, don't you? Wonderful, wonderful store.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

Hey! I did not know about that---it looks like a lot of fun!

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AnnaB your suit sounds like it will be stunning. I often find that upholstery fabric is far more inspiring than dress fabric, but so far haven't been brave enough.
quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
Thanks to Lothlorien posting a link a couple of christmasses ago, I bought yarn this weekend to make these fun slippers for a friend's birthday. .....

Oooh - I love these - I shall give them a go and maybe this is what everyone will be getting for Christmas (what, Christmas already [Ultra confused] )
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've always worried about attempting socks, or mittens, or anything else that comes in pairs, because I have absolutely no confidence that I would be able to make both of them the same size - but squares; I can do squares. And I need a pair of slippers.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ah, Christmas.

I am, actually, starting to think about Christmas myself. If these slippers are a success then a few pairs may well be in order for different folk.

And the 'siamese mittens' I made for one friend this year went down very well - a few couples may well be getting some of those this year. They're pairs of three mittens, you see. A pair of regular mittens (the pair I made last year have sneaky holes to get out your thumbs so you can use a mobile phone) and a middle mitten that's basically a bag with two cuffs so you can hold hands without freezing. But I think I mentionned them before Christmas.

The friend who received them has taken a strange delight at different gatherings getting people to put their hands in one cuff of the mitten (generally slightly bemused) then putting her hand in, holding their hand and waiting for the dawning of realisation on their faces. That's been fun to watch.

[ETA: Go for it Eigon! We can post pics for comparing any wonkiness!]

[ 03. February 2009, 09:24: Message edited by: To The Pain ]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by To The Pain:
Thanks to Lothlorien posting a link a couple of christmasses ago, I bought yarn this weekend to make these fun slippers for a friend's birthday. I figure I ought to be able to manage the knitting (squares, just squares! Gotta keep them actually square though!) and I made a paper mock-up on Friday to check that I understood how they went together. Just hoping that I'll be able to have them finished for February 20th when we're away for the weekend somewhere where it's good to have slippers.

So I make that 18 days and I have one and a half squares done (told my friend yesterday that her slippers were three sixteenths ready!). If I can manage a square a day (which doesn't seem preposterous, they're only 10x10cm) then I'll be finished well in time. We shall see.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
To the Pain gave a pattern for knitted slipper socks. I've seen a similar idea using crochet granny squares.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone into multidirectional crochet?

By hook (but not crook) I have discovered over the past few months that you can continue a piece of crochet not only by working along any of the edges, but by building another piece and linking it in to the first piece at the side (all in single crochet, that is).

So you end up with a piece of crochet composed of bits going north-south and east west. Bit wavy, but nothing you can't press out.

I normally work with yarn that I have assembled into a colourway before I start, so that colours change regularly, and, in this technique, generate a patchwork effect.

Curly corners seem to be the main problem.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
frin

Drinking coffee for Jesus
# 9

- Posted      Profile for frin   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi Firenze, I enjoy doing that and I even have a book which focusses on it as a technique. They called it making "scrumbles" and there were diagrams to suggest different ways you could fit these together. After I had made a load of the things to bust a stash of yarn, I was at a loss of what to do with them. I made a scarf.

Make each scrumble (a collection of random shapes, joined together) into a piece about the size of a corsage. Make lots of these. I then made a thin strip of scarf (maybe 1.5 to 2 inches wide), slightly shorter than the finished scarf length would be in a yarn appropriate to the overall colourway. I joined the scrumbles onto the scarf using a series of runs of single crochet (UK double crochet). I was about to upload a picture of this but I realise I already put it on flickr.

--------------------
"Even the crocodile looks after her young" - Lamentations 4, remembering Erin.

Posts: 4496 | From: a library | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's ever so pretty frin!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
Ye Olde Motherboarde's tagline is "Ship's Quilter," but she doesn't make it onto this board too often. A few years ago several shipmates made a quilt for a beloved shipmate who was battling cancer. If you scroll down on this Mystery Worshipper Report from Molly's funeral, you'll see the quilt displayed.

I didn't know there was a report, or a quilt picture - very pleased to see both.

I've been quite a busy little knitter and among my recent finished objects are:

Ruby slippers

Reversible cable scarf

Crocheted bag (yay! I can crochet!)

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now finished Nefertiti - yay!

I had intended to send it to sister-in-law by registered post, for her to get framed locally. But I find I just can't do it. I so want to see her face when she receives it. So I'm getting it framed and we're visiting next month.

Now, what next?

(Interestingly, Hugal says I'm much calmer and less easily irritated/anxious when I have a proper stitching project on the go!)

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

I'm nearly there on the slippers - only 3 and a half squares to go. I'm a bit disappointed with the colours (although the friend who's receiving the slippers did choose them) to be honest, but hopefully I'll be able to hide the black on the sole. Dark blue, dark red and a sort of fawn-ish colour.

If I have some spare cash next week I'll be back down to see if they have the nice burnt orange and the forest green still in stock and reduced!

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
I've now finished Nefertiti - yay!

(Interestingly, Hugal says I'm much calmer and less easily irritated/anxious when I have a proper stitching project on the go!)

Congratulations!

I know that I'm calmer when I have some needlework to do. There's someting soothing about the repetition and it somehow puts the busyness of my brain in neutral, allowing me to come up with creative solutions to things that are bugging me.

Which reminds me, now I no longer have a guest, I must get back to the wedding present I was doing. I remember someone on the Ship saying you have a year after the wedding to give the present, so I should make that deadline.

Huia

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm currently stitching the Klimt "Blue" shown here (you'll need to scroll down) Mr D gave it to me three Christmases ago, but i had two little "helpers" in the form of cats, who would chase the needle. They're calmer now, so as long as they're asleep when I get it out, I'm able to continue. It's beginning to look good!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had started on the Daily Knitter's Samantha hat for me (and was all proud of myself for spotting and correcting the mistake in the pattern) when Immy pulled it all off my needles and lost too many stitches for it to be retrievable! Twiney's Freedom Spirit has proven to be sticky yarn, too, so I lost some of that when I was unravelling it all. Will have to try again later. Also doing a garter stitch hat for me. Knitting is very tricky when you have a curious just-starting-to-be-a-toddler about the place.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm looking for a pattern for a knitted dalek, the links to the pattern I have found on the internet don't seem to be working, can anyone help?

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kitten:
I'm looking for a pattern for a knitted dalek, the links to the pattern I have found on the internet don't seem to be working, can anyone help?

I knitted a couple of those last year - just before the BBC had the patterns for the Ood, Adipose and ?? (forgotten the other one) removed from the internet.

The Dalek pattern, although by another designer, has now also been removed, probably in response to all the hoo-ha that was created at that time.

I can't see it being restored - not unless the BBC are getting their cut, although the I don't think the BBC own the copyright to the Daleks

From the pattern:
quote:
Daleks are copyright to the Terry Nation estate.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I'm currently stitching the Klimt "Blue" shown here (you'll need to scroll down) Mr D gave it to me three Christmases ago, but i had two little "helpers" in the form of cats, who would chase the needle. They're calmer now, so as long as they're asleep when I get it out, I'm able to continue. It's beginning to look good!

Very nice - I also like the Rousseau Jungle and Joan Bancel ones - I wish there were enough hours in the day!!!
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:

Very nice - I also like the Rousseau Jungle and Joan Bancel ones - I wish there were enough hours in the day!!!
I'm thinking I might give it to my mum for her 80th birthday - she has everything she might need, and I thought something (fairly impressive) made by me might be good. But I don't know whether to make it into a cushion or to have it framed as a picture. What do people think?

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
May I join you here? It's really great to see so many lovely handiwork items on show here. Just want to poke my head in to say hello and thanks for the pictures and helpful links posted.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Pooks:
May I join you here? It's really great to see so many lovely handiwork items on show here. Just want to poke my head in to say hello and thanks for the pictures and helpful links posted.

Welcome here. I love the pictures too.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

Can you ask for patterns on this thread? I'm trying to track down a Phildar pattern for a crochet cushion which has a number of rings at it's centre and ends up as a hexagon. The pattern is somewhere in the house....And does anyone else do bobbin lace?

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Can you ask for patterns on this thread? I'm trying to track down a Phildar pattern for a crochet cushion which has a number of rings at it's centre and ends up as a hexagon. The pattern is somewhere in the house....And does anyone else do bobbin lace?

Sorry, I can't help you. I'm a knitter with a very basic knowledge of crochet, and I also occasionally do some cross stitch. Have you tried emailing Phildar? I emailed the Australian Patons about some old wool I was given and they were very helpful.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
quote:

I'm thinking I might give it to my mum for her 80th birthday - she has everything she might need, and I thought something (fairly impressive) made by me might be good. But I don't know whether to make it into a cushion or to have it framed as a picture. What do people think?
Tricky one.... some people like a useful gift and others like something purely to admire. I'd veer towards the hand worked cushion because it could be either.
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've now finished the multi-directional piece I mentioned a little while ago.

Pictures here.

It is completely through-crocheted; not a sewn stitch in it anywhere. And it only took about 4 weeks (for a surface area of about 40 sq ft I reckon). So definitely a faster medium than knitting.

The pluses, besides speed, are the wild freedom to do what you like with colour. The minuses are the need to keep to v simple outlines, a rather dense texture - so more suitable for outer garments.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
And does anyone else do bobbin lace?

I do. it's been a while since I've picked my pillow up though.

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Knitted Dalek , from the Internet Wayback Machine (archive.org)

[ 01. March 2009, 13:01: Message edited by: ecumaniac ]

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks ecumaniac, you're a star. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pooks
Shipmate
# 11425

- Posted      Profile for Pooks     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I've now finished the multi-directional piece I mentioned a little while ago.

Pictures here.

It's lovely. I love multicoloured work that's not rigidly patterned. [Overused]
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

I have finished the Celtic wedding blessing I was backstitching and it is now at the framers [Yipee] . This was one of the benefits of baptising my keyboard and mouse with boiling tea and being off-line for a few days.

Now I'm starting a Rainbow trout bookmark for a friend who fishes and a new agey faux American First People type sampler about following your dreams for a friend who likes that kind of thing [Roll Eyes] Usually I don't do things I don't like, but the recipient has been very generous to me and the discipline won't do me any harm.

Huia

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Not really double-posting as they are days apart [Razz] but I have the wedding blessing back from the framer and it looks good [Yipee]

Also a glitch in someone's planning at school gave me some time to dream up the words for my Easter card - now comes the hard bit- actually making them. Until I make the first ome I won't know whether the design works or not. Fingers crossed.

I saw some local advertising for a world day of knitting in public - in June sometime I think. Any Shipmates taking part?

Huia

[ 20. March 2009, 07:21: Message edited by: Huia ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  19  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016