homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 23)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
World Wide Knit In Public

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I went to the Stitch & Craft fair at Olympia yesterday, and it has re-ignited my enthusiasm for all things crafty. Loved Alan Dart's knitted wedding cake, and I might be tempted to knit the wedding couple for my parents' golden wedding this year.

It'll need some changes, though, as my dad got married in a cassock!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I made a skirt yesterday!

A few weeks ago, I knocked together a "17th century" skirt out of half a blanket, gathered onto the waistband, which tied at each side. It looks very good for the purpose (though the Sealed Knot would mock me).
So, flushed with success, I rootled through my fabric stash and came upon a pair of Laura Ashley curtains in a pale brown pattern.
I swear I measured my waist, and gathered the material accordingly - but when I tried to tie it at the sides, it fell down round my ankles! Two of me could have fitted in it!
All is not lost, however - if I tie the front panel round the back, and the back panel round the front, instead of at the sides, it works perfectly, and the cotton falls quite nicely too.
I may even be able to wear it for work.

Next step is trying to work out what to do with the beautiful silk tweed I've been given. I'm almost afraid to cut it.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eigon, you sound like an adventurous dressmaker as well as a talented one.

I'm not sure if this belongs in this thread or the small things that make us happy one... however, ages ago I bought some spray adhesive for a project and promptly put it in a very creative place [Disappointed] Recently I re-discovered it and have been using it for my Easter cards - it's fantastic. In the past I have fiddled with double-sided sticky tape (which is described as having "an aggressive adhesive". It has to be carefully cut and placed, whereas the spray stuff is just sprayed in the general direction of what I'm sticking - much easier on
eyes that don't see as well as they once did, not to mention frustration levels [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Adventurous, maybe - not so sure about talented! I'm totally incapable of putting a zip in, and my measuring is rubbish! But I'm getting more confident as I try different things, and they've all been wearable so far.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Autumn is finally here and I've been doing some knitting. Today I finished the first of a pair of Rose's wristwarmers. These were worn by Rose in Dr Who. Sorry no link to pattern. It's available only on Ravelry.

A few of us who participated in a Long Lacy Summer have decided to concentrate on texture and these fit the bill nicely.

Just below the wristwarmers is the finally finished pair of Hedera socks from a long past edition of Knitty. Just why I abandoned these when they were almost finished is a mystery.

Below that is a dusky pink Liesl cardigan and I'm about 75% finished another in a soft grape green, substituting a different stitch for the feather and fan.

It's two weeks today since Mum died and I've been knitting lots. Knitting and thinking.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just finished this little dress for my granddaughter.
My DiL never seemed keen on the knitting I did for the boys, but seems to favour knitted dresses for the baby. She has already asked me to make a second edition of the baby dress I made last year in a larger size for Christmas this year. [Yipee]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lots of work in the sailor dress. did it take you long?

As for upsizing the other one, I'm not much good at that. Try some DK and perhaps 4 mm needles and even perhaps pretend you were nearly finished and do the yoke. After all it's shoulder width and arm depth etc that will be what changes most. Dress length is easy to adjust. Make notes of how you change the pattern if at all so you know what you did.

There are probably others more experienced in this adapting than I am, so hopefully they will be along soon.
This one's another cutie which grows with the baby. I've seen various versions of it around and they all look good.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmm, seeems you need to be signed in to Ravelry to see those photos, so I've put them on Flickr:
Last year's dress

Just finished dress - I was aiming for Easter, so did it in fits and starts over about seven weeks, including time spent searching for suitable buttons. It was quite easy to make, only made difficult by the yarn I used, which was very splitty, and also twisted up - on itself and with the other yarns when I was doing the boats.

I have looked at the pattern for the first dress, which my DiL wants upsizing, and the instructions are for one size only - an 18"/19" chest.
Rose is quite skinny, so I will probably not have to modify it much - my preferred option being to use DK instead of 4ply, and 4mm needles.

Time enough to make the decision in the autumn. In the meantime I'm contemplating trying the Little Sister's Dress - or even picking up the jacket I started for myself in January. [Biased]

[ 03. April 2009, 10:05: Message edited by: Roseofsharon ]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

chive

Ship's nude
# 208

- Posted      Profile for chive   Email chive   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just started knitting again after a hiatus since I was about 10. The precipitating factor is the arrival later in the year of a niece or nephew. Does anyone know where I can get good and relatively easy cheap/free baby knitting patterns?

--------------------
'Edward was the kind of man who thought there was no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who hadn't done one-to-one Bible study with him.' Catherine Fox, Love to the Lost

Posts: 3542 | From: the cupboard under the stairs | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Chive, there are heaps of free patterns on the net and Yahoo groups have groups devoted to babyknitting.

Have a look at Knitting Pattern Central. Click Free patterns Index in left sidebar. They have loads of different categories like scarves, babies, socks etc. and if you follow links from the ones they suggest, you'll find others. Bev's Country Cottage (sorry, don't have URL) is another and also yarn manufacturers sites too. Do a search for something specific. Then follow up all the links and surf around and you'll find thousands. If the yarn is not available where you are, check the tension suggested and try a test swatch and find a substitute..

Good luck.

[ 04. April 2009, 22:25: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Transferred from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by Gill H:
The previous thread still seems to be closed, so ...

I mentioned that I want to knit Alan Dart's wedding couple as a 50th anniversary present for my parents.

Bride and groom

However, my dad is a retired vicar and he got married in a cassock.

So ... any tips? Just do the bride body in black, with long arms and black up to the neck? Or what?

[ 23. May 2009, 03:54: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Just do the bride body in black, with long arms and black up to the neck? Or what?
Can't help thinking that there is some shaping to the bride's body that isn't quite right (not knowing your dad [Biased] ).
Do you have/can you borrow a pattern for a knitted nativity at the same scale? There should be some straight-up-and-downish gowned figures that could be adapted, I would have thought.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not quite sure how it works but I am guessing that the groom has a body then the waistcoat and jacket are put on over this. At some point around the hips, the bride and groom must have the same number of stitches on the needle (bride starts wider and ends narrower), swap to the groom pattern for shaping from there on but do it in black.

If not then you will need to alter the shapping as follows.
  • The groom is unlikely to ever be a wide as the bride so keep the base slightly narrower
  • At the hips the groom is likely to be wider than the bride, so make sure the decreasing at the top isn't as strong
  • Once you have hit the top of waist (about a row short of the waist) then the body is almost straight up.
  • Shoulders just need a simple finish off.

I think I would take the shaping at the waist of the bride and write it out so as to give a narrower end and a wider top.

Arms do as grooms are at present but do the end ruff in black.

As it is cassock without gown you might consider knitting a belt.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A few months back I found a link to some blog posts by a woman who knitted a blanket of mitred squares in sock yarn. And I had a lot of leftover sock yarn, especially as I have small feet, and my drawer of stash was overflowing as I waited to decide on something I could use it for. So, yes, I too am knitting a blanket in sock yarn on 2.5mm needles. I think it's going to be about double bed size. This knitting thing may be a bit out of control.

I ended up buying some yarn specially for it, which I did not intend to do, but I used up most of my leftovers so quickly and needed some others to space out what was left, and it's *so* addictive - each square only takes about half an hour and it's always so tempting to do just one more, just one more... I am telling myself now I must not buy any more yarn for it but knit more socks first so I have the leftovers.

Luckily I like to have very long-term, repetitive projects that don't require too much concentration!

I just finished a scarf this evening, Branching Out from Knitty in a dark purple, subtly variegated yarn that I originally bought for socks but decided was just too gorgeous not to be out on display. My problem now is finding somewhere to block it. It's a fairly effective motivation to do some tidying up to make space!

Posts: 73 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

Found you on Ravelry!
No photos of your projects 'though [Frown]

--------------------

Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No, I need to put in a chunk of time to really get to grips with Ravelry and figure out to do things but just haven't got round to it yet, I've only started to dabble in it. I can see it's a fantastic resource, but it's all a bit overwhelming!

Not that knowing how something works necessarily makes me any better at keeping it updated, as my poor neglected blog shows. In fact, I do it so rarely that actually I then don't know exactly how it works because they've changed it all again...

Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hi all

I dropped an email to Alan Dart, who created the bride and groom pattern and does lots of these sort of things (latest one is mediaeval mice!)

He suggested doing the groom the same as the bride, but with black right up to the neck, and no thread to draw in the waist 'unless your father has a very shapely waist'! Nice turn of phrase there, Mr Dart.

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Back at my loom again---a Kromski Harp rigid heddle loom---and am learning how to use a pick-up stick. I'm thinking of attaching another rigid heddle as well, thus making it behave more like a 4-harness loom...

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adrienne
Shipmate
# 2334

- Posted      Profile for Adrienne   Email Adrienne   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Want to get back into some embroidery and sewing, so there's a big de-clutter going on here. I have a pattern - Simplicity Crafts 5721 "Inspirational banners". I can't find a page suitable to use as a link, but Google, friend that it is, has an image or two.

Would anyone like it before it hits the recycle bin?

A

Posts: 977 | From: UK | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been gathering flight-related info & getting ready for the Santa Fe Shipmeet this month.

One source said you could have pointy scissors in your carry-on bag, another said they need to be rounded, but both still agreed they need to be 4" or less in length

I was tickled when I read in amongst the TSA website list of dangerous items that, although knitting needles are allowed in your handbag, some of the screeners might be nervous about them - so it was suggested that you pack bamboo ones, stick to shorter rather than longer ones, use the ones with that line running between them...

In other words, dangerous types like us knitty-crafty grannies need to be the "stronger brother" for our beleaguered stressed TSA brethren. They walk a hard road. Let's not provoke them with our great big threatening handicraft tools, OK?

Made me smile.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
About 35 years ago, before much consciousness about international terrorism had reached NZ I had a t-shirt that said, "Wellington Women's Knitting Circle and Terrorist Organisation", my mother made me turn it inside out while it was drying on the clothesline - i think it was so the neighbourhood children wouldn't be corrupted. [Big Grin]

Huia

--------------------

Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
These days it would have to be turned inside out for fear Homeland Security or the FBI or somebody would stealth up and steal you out of your house for interrogation.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They're monitoring your laundry, Huia. [Paranoid]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

Damn - they're keeping secrets from me -the list wouldn't scroll over [Waterworks] now I don't know whether I'm a terrorist or not,

But I do find it suspicious thar the list of designated terrorists was updated on my birthday [Paranoid]

Janine, I wouldn't dare wear it these days _ I think my mother had an "accident" with it. Now the most subversive T -shirt I have has the logo of the NZ Anglican Church.

Huia

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Janine: Don't bring your knitting in hand luggage to Australia. You are prohibited from having knitting needles in any sort on any flight out of Australia or indeed, any flight within Australia. There has been a recent petition to relax these rules and some have reported knitting, but I wouldn't risk my good needles or knitting.

If you are desperate to cut yarn, use the cutter on dental floss container or you can get attractive cutters which look like a necklace.

As to Ravelry. It's even more of a time sucker than the Ship! It's a fantastic resource for patterns, and probably the first place I'd look. I have used it for questions re a particular pattern, but have not become involved in any of the major forums which can be hotter than Hell here. I see no reason to list my stash, I have lists elsewhere, nor to exclusively use Flickr. That said, there are lots of good points about it and I've been a member almost from the very beginning.

[ 03. June 2009, 06:52: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love this bolero top but it's not given in my size (or anything near!) How do I work out sizings for a rather large lady?
Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A mere eighteen months after I started it, I have finally finished making this frock (I cut it out then never got round to sewing it together.

The pattern is a 1950s original that I got from ebay. I haven't decided yet if I dare wear it to work... it's very red

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:
A mere eighteen months after I started it, I have finally finished making this frock (I cut it out then never got round to sewing it together.

The pattern is a 1950s original that I got from ebay. I haven't decided yet if I dare wear it to work... it's very red

That looks beautiful.
As it's red it should suit you down to the ground!

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't see why you couldn't wear it to work. But that might just be my southern California aesthetic talking; my sister-in-law in Boston says we dress far more loudly out here than people do in other places.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Maybe you need a soft white cardigan to go with it? I like it but you are right, it is very red!

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

Lovely. I would put a white jacket with it, but then I'm still stuck in the 80s!

--------------------

- Lyda Rose

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The dress is adorable and will be great this summer. For work, I second the white cardigan suggestion. Besides, the pretty-dress-with-cardigan look is so very Michelle Obama. Très chic.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mamacita:
The dress is adorable and will be great this summer. For work, I second the white cardigan suggestion. Besides, the pretty-dress-with-cardigan look is so very Michelle Obama. Très chic.

Not sure who the lady next to Michelle Obama is, but she looks terrified! [Big Grin]

I think the dress would look ace with a cardi, or on its own - very chic and fashionable - make the office a beautiful place! It's a gorgeous dress, I'm impressed with your dress-making skills.

I can't remember if it's been mentioned on this thread before, but I've just discovered Spoonflower, where you can upload your own designs and they print them on to fabric. I've just received my first fabic order in this hedgehog pattern that I designed. It's amazing!

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
lily pad
Shipmate
# 11456

- Posted      Profile for lily pad   Email lily pad   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow, that is an amazing site. Good job on the hedgehog fabric design. Are you going to sew something out of it?

--------------------
Sloppiness is not caring. Fussiness is caring about the wrong things. With thanks to Adeodatus!

Posts: 2468 | From: Truly Canadian | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you! Yes, it's going to become a handbag and matching coin purse.
Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

Oooh, Spoonflower looks amazing, what a great idea! I'm going to point my sister in its direction, she's the artist and I'm the crafter so together I'm sure we could come up with some interesting things with that...

quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:

The pattern is a 1950s original that I got from ebay.

Gorgeous! That's one reason I'd love to learn to sew, because I wear a lot of 1950s-style clothes and would like to be able to make authentic ones. I've always made little dolls and teddies and been able to bodge together the odd flimsy bag and that kind of thing, but I've never learnt anything beyond that, nor got the hang of sewing machines. I did slightly better with a hand-cranked one, but the electric one with a foot pedal I had a terrible time with because I would panic and forget how to make it stop. [Hot and Hormonal]

I've just learnt how to sew up shoulder seams invisibly on a knitted garment! It's slightly pathetic that I'm so excited over it, but I am. I have always done very basic, rather bulky and unattractive sewing up and never really learnt it properly at all, but it did the job well enough and didn't look too bad on the outside, and I've yet to have had chance to invest a lot of money in making myself a jumper or something where I would feel I had to do it right, so I've just been too lazy to learn something new and stuck to socks and shawls and scarves. But I'm doing a lot of charity knitting for premature babies at the moment and figured they could not deal with the lumps and bumps of my usual efforts! Once again I'm thinking I should've made myself go ahead and learn earlier, it's very straightforward and so much more fun to do when you see yourself getting a perfect result. Next up, mattress stitch!

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I love this bolero top but it's not given in my size (or anything near!) How do I work out sizings for a rather large lady?

I wish I could help you with this, Dormouse, but 'sizing- up' is not a skill I have learned. I haven't knitted anything for myself since I was fifteen for that reason, but there seems to be many more plus-size patterns around nowadays, especially on the internet.
Have you done a search for plus-size bolero (or shrug) knitting patterns? You might find something similar that you like just as much, and can knit without needing to alter the instructions.

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well this page will put out a pattern for any specific size including knitters natural tension.

Oh I found it by googling plus-size bolero and knitting.

Jengie

[ 17. June 2009, 10:05: Message edited by: Jengie Jon ]

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think some people here do papercraft, and am also aware that some people are fond of teh lolcats. I don't know if there is crossover between these groups, but if so you might be interested in this little gem.
It was pretty easy to make, I only glued my thumb in a couple of times (I am not gifted in this direction), and came out looking okay, once in place on flatmate's ceiling [Snigger]

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I love the Ceiling Cat!

I've just finished a skirt!
I was given some gorgeous material - silk tweed - and I really didn't want to spoil it. I also wanted to make something that I could look fairly smart for work in. The worrying part of it all, for me, was that this would almost inevitably involve a zip, and I've never set in a zip before.
I spent some time scouring sewing books and magazines before I found a method of setting zips in that made sense to me - and it worked! And the skirt looks lovely!

I have enough of the material left to make either another skirt and something small, or possibly a pinafore dress. All I need now is a decent pattern....

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
Originally posted by Tea gnome:
I think some people here do papercraft, and am also aware that some people are fond of teh lolcats. I don't know if there is crossover between these groups, but if so you might be interested in this little gem.

That's AMAZING! I'm moving house soon, and this dude might have to live over the toilet...
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
I can't remember if it's been mentioned on this thread before, but I've just discovered Spoonflower, where you can upload your own designs and they print them on to fabric. I've just received my first fabic order in this hedgehog pattern that I designed. It's amazing!

And here's the handbag I've made with the fabric.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

That bag is beautiful, Earwig and unique too.

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just finished a piece of calligraphy for a competition at the local craft centre. I'm quite pleased with it, although there are one or two things I'm not sure about. Still, I can't change them without starting all over again!

If I had a digital camera I'd take a photo - but I don't so you'll just have to imagine!

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
That bag is beautiful, Earwig and unique too.

Absolutely -- all kinds of adorable.

Dormouse, how did you learn calligraphy? It looks like it would take more patience than I have!

--------------------

Dormouse

# 5954

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I've just finished a piece of calligraphy for a competition at the local craft centre. I'm quite pleased with it, although there are one or two things I'm not sure about. Still, I can't change them without starting all over again!

If I had a digital camera I'd take a photo - but I don't so you'll just have to imagine!

And I showed it to a French friend who immediately spotted a spelling mistake which means I need to do the entire thing again... Grrr. But also it means I can change the things I'm not sure about so it's not all bad - just 4 1/2 hours work down the Swanee. Sigh.

I learned calligraphy by copying a book of calligraphy that my mother did (and bound) at college. It's a beautiful hand written and painted copy of a James Elroy Flecker poem. She sadly never finished it - I don't know if she still has it, but I thought it was a work of art. I'm lucky in that my handwriting is quite calligraphic anyway, so I had a headstart! It's the "creative" thinking of ideas side I find more difficult, as I'm not so much of an artist, but I was pleased with my efforts (until I was shown the spelling mistake!) I'll do it again on Thursday as I have a day off then.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Help please. Last Christmas I bought from the Book Depository a book to teach children knitting. It had clear illustrations and text and lots of small attractive projects to learn from. I paid about $14 AUS when here it was over $30.

What I'm looking for is something to help a young child learn to sew. Similar clear text etc.

My granddaughter turns 7 next week. She's a very bright girl, very good at maths and mathematical concepts, precise with measuring and handwork.

She's been desperate for two years for a sewing machine. Her parents have bought a small basic model, straight and zigzag only.

I'm putting together a package of attractive remnants, threads, pins, boxes of buttons, special scissors etc. All in a storage box.

But I'd love any recommendations re a basic book geared to a child. Machine sewing, not wool embroidery etc.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Think I'll copy this to general question thread on this board. It's slipped down the page here.

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

It's not often that I see something and WANT WANT WANT it, but I want a sock knitting machine so badly after seeing this wind knitting factory.

Does anyone here have one? (Just out of interest, of course, I'd never steal a shippie's sock machine... [Biased] [Snigger] )

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016