homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 24)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can anyone help? I am looking for a card (probably cream)with a very large square aperture - about 105-110mm square. I'm hopeless at cutting apertures, otherwise I might have had a go at making one. I need an envelope to fit as well.

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There's some card blanks with rectangular apertures here

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Craft Creations do a lot of cards:

Craft Creations

Don't seem to have many square ones though. I agree they are hard to find.

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just come across Fine Cell Work, a charity that teaches embroidery, quilting and patchwork to prisoners, and sells their work. Their stuff is amazing.
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could have started a new thread called Virgin Hooker but I didn't.

I've been wondering about learning to crochet for a while. Yesterday I found a book (it's this one) in a charity shop with some instructions and some reasonably interesting garments, but no really small items. Would it make sense to create sample squares out of all the simple stitches first, much like those blankets and so on composed of squares sewn or crocheted together? Does anyone have any recommendations for internet tutorials if I get stuck with the book - I see there are plenty of sites devoted to crochet but not sure yet which are good.

An aunt who lives abroad showed me a little crochet once, but I had no patterns etc to continue with. I am hoping it will come back to me from the diagrams. I can knit, but haven't for ages.

--------------------
"I want to be an artist when I grow up." "Well you can't do both!"
further quarkiness

Posts: 1025 | From: The Book Depository | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Joan_of_Quark:
Would it make sense to create sample squares out of all the simple stitches first, much like those blankets and so on composed of squares sewn or crocheted together?

Upthread here I posted piccies of a jacket I created entirely out of squares (well, rectangles really) of double crochet, worked in all directions.

Or if that looks too hard (but it isn't), why not a simple, boat-neck top? Work as many chain as you want for the width (plus 2), work in dbl, with the odd row of treble for variety, until you have an area you consider big enough for the front (or back). Do another one. Sew together, leaving spaces for the neck and arms.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you can get hold of some of the older Phildar pattern books, they give pattern diagrams as well as written instrucions, which makes life much easier!
Talking of which, does anyone have a Phildar pattern for a cushion which starts with rings joined together which you then crochet into? It's in one of the decorations et loisirs books, I managed to get one on ebay but it was the wrong one. I know my copy is in the house....somewhere.

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

- Posted      Profile for Joan_of_Quark   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice. Firenze, I saw your piece and thought the colours were wonderful. I'll probably do something much smaller and simpler first, so the boatneck top is a good idea. St Gwladys, my book has diagrams as well as written instructions, so I'll get to see which I find most natural to refer to.

I've just finished a big chunk of writing and I even know where the one and only crochet hook is hiding so might get somewhere this weekend.

--------------------
further quarkiness

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How did the crocheting go, Joan? I spend far too much time visiting crocheting blogs, lots of which have great tutorials. What sort of things do you want to crochet? I tend not to make clothes, but make amigurumi, handbags, sculptures - I want to be Howie Woo when I grow up.
Joan_of_Quark

Anchoress of St Expedite
# 9887

I have started, and so far learned chain and double crochet, after a fashion. The trouble is, I realised partway through that I was not holding the thread in the approved fashion. I already have a knitting style that causes despair to purists - letting go of the wrong needles at the wrong time - so I'd rather try and make myself do crochet properly from the start.

I am not sure what I am going to make: probably gifts, scarves, bags, clothes, throws?

There's a stash of wools in my storage area, but unfortunately also a habitable paper sculpture designed not by me but by a colony of wasps, so I have to figure out how to get further supplies out whilst they are sleeping until I can make them go away!

--------------------
further quarkiness

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

Oh, I love wasps' nests. So beautiful!

Futuregirl's blog has some great tutorials, and a simple bag to crochet - the Starling bag which I'm crocheting on Tuesday nights, while at a pub quiz.

Roman Sock has some good bag patterns (and cute anipals) to crochet, and I'm quite fond of Whitepaw's hats.

[ 25. August 2009, 14:27: Message edited by: Earwig ]

Jodi
Shipmate
# 2490

- Posted      Profile for Jodi   Email Jodi   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a bit worried at myself. Since learning to seam properly, I'm actually finding myself *looking forward* to sewing up knitted garments. This is simply not natural.

Much as I enjoy knitting these little baby clothes and the fact that it's for a local charity, I'm thinking I would like a bit of a change for a while, something where I'm not limited to pastels and preferably could also use some of my stash of yarn with actual wool content. I'm still knitting my own stuff like socks, but at the moment I'd like to still devote a good chunk of my knitting time to charity, just something a bit different. Anyone got any good suggestions for what else I might knit and for whom?

Posts: 73 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Jodi:
I'd like to still devote a good chunk of my knitting time to charity, just something a bit different. Anyone got any good suggestions for what else I might knit and for whom?

Here's whole list of UK charities which accept various knitted articles. Take your pick

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've been Yarn Bombed!
Little pieces of crochet have been put up all around town, each with a little tag naming the website
www.yarn-craft-revival.blogspot.com

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I think this is a super idea, but it could only be done somewhere like Hay where there's a chance that the pieces would survive. Shame.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice bump Firenze!

I will now cause confusion and consternation by spreading my crafting thoughts (few and far between as they are) between this and the Christmas thread.

Last night I started a scarf in our Thursday night coffee haunt. The part I have started is a crochet mesh (chain 4, treble) through which I plan, once it is long enough, to weave ribbons and interesting other yarns. So far I have achieved about 4cm or an inch and a half. Hopefully this will serve to use up a cone of yarn that has been sitting in my stash for far too long.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The lady who did the Yarn Bombing turns out to belong to the local Stitch and Bitch group. When she revealed her true identity, we all got terribly enthusiastic about it - so last night we all went out together (with items we had prepared earlier) and scattered yarn around town.
Imagine five otherwise sensible middle aged ladies, giggling like schoolgirls as they attached crochet flowers to door handles and a rather cute little ghost on a post in the town square. Photos will be appearing soon on the website a few posts above (yarn craft revival).
I went past the Library this morning, and found that the little hat I knitted for the bollard there has already been taken! It didn't last 12 hours!

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I'm currently on a mission to knit up all my stash. Should be doable, provided I live to 120.

I sorted all* of my cotton yarns into two heaps - sads and strongs. I'm working all the sads (Dull greens, muted browns, greys, soft blues, off white, cinnamon) in Kaffe Fassett's step pattern.

The strongs I will probably subdivide into a warm and a cold grouping and alternate quite small squares in a mosaic-type thingie.

*no, that's wrong actually. Some.

jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
*bump*
Is anyone w*rking on any projects now that the Christmas excitement is past? (At least for some of us!) [Smile]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm having a clear out and have several half- used skeins of embroidery cotton (mostly dull greens) from a project I completed in 1995, plus a 2inch x 3inch cross-stitch kit of Ballindalloch Castle which I can't remember buying. Since I've failed to use them up in the last decade, and I don't think our local charity shop would particularly like them, and it seems a shame to bin them, would anyone like them? I'll bung them in the post to the first person to PM me.
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I found some nice patterns for crochet bookmarks on at crochetpatternscentral. I've downloaded patterns for an angel and a teddy, both of which take fairly small quantities of thread. Only problem is trying to get decent crochet thread!

--------------------

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Picked my knitting back up again, after a hiatus since mid-November. Once I finish the current pair of socks, and then a pair I have half-finished for Mr. Otter (he's been very very patient) I have the difficulty of deciding what to do next. My stash of both yarn and patterns I want to make is large.

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I've just made a pair of Granny square slippers. There are two main patterns on the web, one which calls for a large (6 rounds) square and 3 small (3rounds) squares, the other calls for 6x3 round squares. I've compromised and made one large and 2 small plain squares per slipper. Using DK yarn, it made up large enough to fit me, and I take a size 6 shoe. I had a pair of these given me many years ago, but couldn't remamber how they were made. I'm now planning to make a number of pairs to sell at our next craft fair (I've got until April!) to raise money for our local youth project.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm about to make an attempt to turn the sleeves of an old leather jacket (sourced from a charity shop many years ago and used for a bible cover, a notebook cover and various wrist cuffs so far) into mittens (possibly with a fleece or faux-fur lining) to keep my fingers warm and dry on my bicycle. We'll see how that goes!

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I've just finished (and am gratefully wearing) what is I believe called a ruana.

To those as unacquainted with the concept as I was up until a few weeks ago, it's a sort of poncho/wrap thing constructed by joining two strips of fabric about halfway along one edge. In my case, I crocheted two bands, each about 20" wide, in a mixture of rows of single and double crochet, with a pocket at one end, joined them, and put a small amount of stitching at the sides to join front to back and create an armhole.

It's more convenient than a shawl or wrap, since it doesn't fall off readily, but it's loose enough to add on top of all other layers (v useful, just now).

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The K-Glets are now both well kitted out with jumpers and mittens knitted by my aunt, which inspired me to remind myself how to knit. I have managed to make a scarf in rainbow coloured wool for the toddler. There's enough left to do something else when I can summon up the energy but I've got various cross stitch things to do first!

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Have done little since moving house 17/12. Been far too busy and tired to contemplate much knitting. Did work on a patterned sock in the early hours of one morning when I could not sleep. Big mistake!

When I was 3 repeats down a lacy pattern, I noticed that somehow I had made a bad mistake at the beginning of those repeats. Quite unfixable and horribly obvious except to my sleepy self. I had to rip it out and pick up stitches.

I'm also working on a Commelina scarf but have stopped to chart the pattern so it's easier to see next step. Once upon a time, I did not use charts but have taught myself to use them and now prefer them to written instructions.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I did a lot of rather speedy knitting just before Christmas (keen-eyed Shipmates who peruse certain All Saints threads might be able to figure out what and why [Biased] ) but then was away for 2 weeks with no project on the go. My fingers were itching by the time I got back, it just doesn't feel right.

I've gone back to my 'standby project', a cross stitch of the Eiffel Tower. Hugal says I am much more relaxed when I stitch in the evenings, and we have to do something to get us through this dark, cold, long month with no money!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm thinking of creating a Jesse Tree for next Advent - and would like to cross-stitch the symbols. Anyone know where I can find (simple and prefereably free) patterns on the web?

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

I trudged into town in the snow last night to buy the last 50cm of faux sheepskin that John Lewis had then after tea I scaled up and cut out the pattern pieces for the lobster-claw mittens I'm trying to make. Before I went to bed I cut out all the leather pieces I needed and marked out the fleece pieces - they all look HUGE but I'm sure that's because of seam allowances and them not being too restrictive. Tonight I shall cut the fleece lining pieces and attempt to sew it all together.

It's nice to have a first crafting project of 2010 off the ground, even if someof the 2009 ones are still languishing. I guess it's the urgency of wanting warm hands when I'm on my bicycle!

--------------------

Hugal
Shipmate
# 2734

- Posted      Profile for Hugal   Email Hugal   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am about to start two scrapbook one of our trip to Disneyland Paris and one of Christmas. I always have cards waiting to be made.
Posts: 1887 | From: london | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am using a latch-hook kit as a carrot to finish other almost-completed projects (including sorting the latest batch of photos that I've taken) - once I've completed all that then I can start on the latch-hook (my first attempt so a small project).
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I completed two multi-colour cardigan/jackets as Christmas presents - examples can be seen in the link in my sig. Now another for my sister. I began to use colour after having gotten stuck half way up the back of my fourth single colour sweater through sheer boredom. The result resembles a friendship cake, in that each new sweater is begun with the part balls of wool left over from the least one, and the one before that... So I never have the excuse of "no wool". and it's an excuse for buying single balls when I see them in a sale.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
Originally posted by Curious:
I'm thinking of creating a Jesse Tree for next Advent - and would like to cross-stitch the symbols. Anyone know where I can find (simple and prefereably free) patterns on the web?

If you have pictures of the symbols you'd like to use, to can make your own cross stitch patterns using the KnitPro 2.0. Just upload your picture and it turns it into leetle squares for crochet, knitting or cross-stitch!

[ 08. January 2010, 11:52: Message edited by: Earwig ]

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
After googling Tree of Jesse, I found a link

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/85/France_Chartres_JesseTree_c1145_a.JPG

to the Relevant windo in Chartres Cathedral. (Sorry - I don't know, or have forgotten, how to do these links neatly.) But the pic might take a lifetime to embroider!

There seems to be a link between T of J and the idea of the tree of life found in other cultures

[ 08. January 2010, 12:03: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

To continue previous post - I note that Amazon have several books on the Jesse Tree, including ideas for making deorations out of individual symbols, and hanging then on a "tree" of bare branches. Curious, is this the kind of thing you had in mind, or was it going to be one large embroidered picture?

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I've just spent the time it took my soup to cook to make a very basic dog coat for my little hound (who was sitting on the window sill quivering).
It's basically a square of blanket, with a loop at the front around her chest so it doesn't slip off backwards and two ties around her belly to keep it close to her body. She's wearing it now, and she's not quivering any more.

--------------------

Curious
Shipmate
# 93

- Posted      Profile for Curious   Email Curious   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I want individual symbols to hang on a tree - so the site that Earwig found was very useful. I already have some pictures that need turning into patterns.

I figured as its an ambitious (for me!) project, starting now might be a good idea! If it turns out well I'll see if I can post a picture.

Curious

--------------------
Erin - you are missed more than you could know. Rest in peace and rise in glory - to provide unrest in the heavenly realms.

Posts: 1372 | From: Betwixt and between | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Curious, have you thought of photocopying or printing your images onto graph paper? Would that provide an instant usable pattern?

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Just showing off a new found ability to post links. My sweaters (some of them) can be seen here

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Nice work Jacobsen!

I managed to manufacture my mittens (although now I can't find the web page I took the pattern from) and they look like mittens, which is a bonus! They kept my hands warm on Saturday too, so that's good. My only failing in them was neglecting to change the pattern for use with a non-stretch fabric so they're a little tight around the base of the thumb. Something to remember for next time, I think.

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I've just made a pair of Granny square slippers. I'm now planning to make a number of pairs to sell at our next craft fair (I've got until April!) to raise money for our local youth project.

Courtesy of the sn*w I've now made 7 pairs. I'm really glad I stocked up on wool last Monday, but I'm getting sick of doing granny squares!

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm now part-way through knitting a doggie-sweater for a rather cold old spaniel. Hope I've chosen colours that won't harm his street cred.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

There is now one very happy dog [Smile]
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Which football team does your dog support?

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Which football team does your dog support?

Wolves.

All dogs do.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Curious, have you thought of photocopying or printing your images onto graph paper? Would that provide an instant usable pattern?

Ordinary graph paper won't work. Cross stitch and knitting stitches are different shapes so picture will be distorted.

Here's a link to a site with heaps of different sizes of knitting graph paper. Both portrait and landscape orientation. There are also others around, and I was given a small booklet with a sheep picture with right shaped graph. I use it to chart patterns which have no charts.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Thanks, Lothlorien - that's really useful.

[ 15. January 2010, 06:37: Message edited by: jacobsen ]

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

Over the Christmas holidays, I spent some time browsing websites of Victorian style clothing with my boyfriend, who is rather into the 'steam punk' style (what would happen if the Victorians had discovered space flight - so Victorian style with space age technology - lots of brass and wood and frock coats etc.).
Looking at the ladies' clothing on Gentleman's Emporium reminded me that I once had a pair of real Victorian ladies' bloomers, crotch-less to go under crinolines, which were amazingly useful for keeping my legs warm when I was riding my bike.
No idea what happened to them, but I greatly desired another pair. Then I looked at prices, and decided to attempt making my own.
I just happened to have a smallish curtain in my stash, white with a small blue pattern all over. It just fit round my waist, so I up-ended it so that the wide hem became the waistband and fitted a couple of hooks and eyes to hold it together. Then I cut up the middle to make the legs, hemmed round, and turned a cuff at the bottom of each leg which I sewed together, leaving the rest of the leg open.
Since I totally made the pattern up, they're not quite like the real thing, but they'll do very nicely under long skirts as an alternative to a petticoat, and keep my legs warmer.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016