homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 25)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
quote:
Originally posted by jacobsen:
Which football team does your dog support?

Wolves.

All dogs do.

Maybe it's Wolves - Frankie isn't the right breed to support
the Terriers but there are the Rovers (Blackburn) or the Rovers (Bristol).

However, he is the correct breed to support this American football team. I wonder if I've got some wool in that colour.

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have two winter coats, one of which is just getting to the end of its useful life. Looking in my wardrobe, I discovered that the only other coat I have is a very light summer jacket, but nothing in between.
I went round the charity shops yesterday, but nothing really jumped out from the rails, so I had a look through my fabric stash and came upon some caramel coloured wool I'd been given.
I spent half an hour making a basic poncho, just a square with a slit for the head - lighter than the winter coat, but warmer than the summer jacket.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I recently did a quick line embroidery of Nessa from Gavin and Stacey. Tidy. [Big Grin]
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Gill H

Shipmate
# 68

- Posted      Profile for Gill H     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's lush [Biased]

Doesn't look right without a cigarette though ...!

--------------------
*sigh* We can’t all be Alan Cresswell.

- Lyda Rose

Posts: 9313 | From: London | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
O frabjous day!

I'm just back from my first trip to Mandor's in Glasgow (ah, free bus travel).

Got some beautiful fabric for roman blinds (the object of the trip) and some lovely Italian wool suiting (the drape! the drape!) for warm skirts.

What I could now do with is a decent UK/Europe supplier of patterns, in which to make said skirts.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
But Firenze, according to their site, Mandors stock an "all encompassing range of paper patterns."

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Or, you could make a pattern from an existing skirt.

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon

David Powell
Apprentice
# 5545

- Posted      Profile for David Powell   Email David Powell   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just been away on a long (November-mid-December) orchestral tour of the USA, spending hours on coaches, and while many colleagues were watching DVDs on laptops a small knitting circle sprung up and widened. I found myself, a man of over 50, teaching young women how to knit. It felt quite odd but I enjoyed the attention. We had a couple of outings to knit shops and made a Santa hat for the conductor complete with a jingle bell on the top (communally) which I thought was all very much in the spirit of knitting. I did a scarf for my wife's Christmas present, a hat for a Canadian baby cousin, and a hat for a colleague's brother's newborn. This year I've done a baby hat and boottees for a friend and am in the middle of a scarf using cable with Fassett yarn.
I'm organist at a S London Anglican parish church. A few years ago we did squares towards a blanket; can't remember why, because I think if e.g. you shipped one off to Haiti it might be more trouble than it's worth from the point of view of the aid workers. Any ideas for useful projects for a congregation? The priest is interested and would be very supportive.
By the way I would recommend "A History of Hand Knitting" by Richard Rutt, Bishop of Leicester who has knitted his own mitre!

Posts: 41 | From: London UK | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
O frabjous day!

I'm just back from my first trip to Mandor's in Glasgow (ah, free bus travel).

Got some beautiful fabric for roman blinds (the object of the trip) and some lovely Italian wool suiting (the drape! the drape!) for warm skirts.

Mandors is indeed absolutely frabjous. I discovered it whilst looking for elasticated straps to mend my chairs (they didn't have what I needed, but sent me to someone who did). I can mooch for ages in there, and I don't even do much in the way of sewing! I'm going to need to either make curtains or get curtains made, so that gives me a perfect excuse to have another mooch. How sad!
Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm toying with the idea of learning to do wax resist Easter eggs, like Ukrainian ones. Has anyone done them and if so, how difficult was it to learn? And do you have any hints for beginners?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

Here is a site which could start you off.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks! Getting the drippy middle out is definitely the first step.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've never done it, but a blogger called Craftastica has a few hints on her Flickr page. They look amazing!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Powell:

Any ideas for useful projects for a congregation? The priest is interested and would be very supportive.

I remember one of my aunts used to knit garments for premature babies for her local hospital and I believe there are charities that collect hand knitted prematue baby clothes for distribution to special baby units around the country. Might that be an option for your congregation?

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
I've never done it, but a blogger called Craftastica has a few hints on her Flickr page. They look amazing!

Cool-very inspiring! I like the close ups that show that the designs aren't perfect, yet they still look very pretty. It tells me that I may get over the novice hump without throwing eggs against the wall. [Big Grin]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a crochet pattern for a lacy top which uses "soft light fingering weight yarn" e.g "baby alpaca or merino wool blend". Can anyone explain what sort of thickness this is, and what type of British yarn I should be looking for?

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
I have a crochet pattern for a lacy top which uses "soft light fingering weight yarn" e.g "baby alpaca or merino wool blend". Can anyone explain what sort of thickness this is, and what type of British yarn I should be looking for?

The weight is light fingering - the other ways I've seen that weight listed are #1 (in the standard that uses a number in a graphic of a ball of yarn) and "Super Fine."

This chart from Patons says 27-32 stitches in 4 cm, on 2.25-3.5 mm size hook.

The rest of it - the comments about soft, baby alpaca, and merino blend, are all about how soft the yarn is. Which is really really soft if they're suggesting a baby alpaca or baby alpaca/merino blend. So although a lightweight sock yarn would work size-wise, it may not be as soft as you want. Also, if there's pictures, see if you can tell it's a fairly fuzzy yarn with a halo.

And if they suggest a specific yarn, google it and see what, exactly, it is. That should make finding something similar (or the same stuff) easier.

[ 05. February 2010, 20:10: Message edited by: Otter ]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

The equivalent weight in UK yarn would be 3ply, but read yarn labels to find out which ones recommend using the size hook suggested in the pattern, and which knit/crochet to the same gauge.

I can't help with softness - alpaca or merino blends, as the pattern specifies, would be lovely to work with and to wear.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
And if they suggest a specific yarn, google it and see what, exactly, it is. That should make finding something similar (or the same stuff) easier.

Or try looking it up on Yarndex which has details on thousands of yarns.

I'd agree about it probably being 3 ply, but then again, wool down here is different again in definitions.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ot trying poking around Ravelry which has all sorts of information about all sort of things yarny.

--------------------
I came to Jesus and I found in him my star, my sun.
And in that light of life I'll walk 'til travelling days are done

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I found a really nice wool shop at Mumbles today and bought some gorgeous sock yarn which seems to fit the guage for the pattern. I was chatting to the lady in the shop and telling her taht I had problem finding really nice crochet patterns, and she recommended Ravelry!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
I found a really nice wool shop at Mumbles today and bought some gorgeous sock yarn which seems to fit the guage for the pattern. I was chatting to the lady in the shop and telling her taht I had problem finding really nice crochet patterns, and she recommended Ravelry!

Ravelry is fantastic for finding patterns, both free and for sale. However, it's far too easy to suddenly discover two hours have gone by since I started to search for "lacy cardigan" pattern, or such like. And some of the forums can be fairly unpleasant at times.

Be careful saying the "yarn fits the gauge for the pattern." Most wools give a gauge which is often done on quite large needles for the garment.

The important thing is your actual gauge and tension. What you get when you knit the particular wool in the particular pattern si much more important than what is suggested on the band..

Socks last better done on often much smaller needles than recommended on the ball band. 8 or more stitches/inch/2.5 cm will make a firm fabric which is comfortable to wear and long lasting too. That may mean you need to cast on more than the pattern suggest to get the sock to fit. Perhaps a small pattern repeat or perhaps some purl stitches between pattern repeats.

The other important thing is to measure circumference of leg and my tension. I know how many stitches make a well fitting sock for me in many wools. I often have to adjust the pattern. Many American patterns use huge number of stitches, over 70 often. I prefer 60-64. Any more and it will fall down.

Also, be careful, some patterns have lots of give in them and will fit a range. Some are known for being tight and a bigger size is often needed.

I've made hundreds of pairs of socks and now pretty much wing things, slotting in whatever stitch I like to whatever pattern I see.

[ 06. February 2010, 23:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
...I've made hundreds of pairs of socks...

and very nice socks they are too [Big Grin]
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just started this tea cosy for a friend's birthday next month. It seems to be knitting up nicely, considering that I'm using different yarn. I'm planning on doing the stand-out knit rows in white for a bit of colour interest (particularly since I'm using green and blue variegated yarn and the teapot in question is green and blue stripes with tiny strips of white) but we shall have to see how it goes.

I think it'll take me maybe a week more of evenings. Hopefully not too much longer.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

That's really neat. How many hours will it take?

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

What a sweet Tea Cosy!

Yesterday I made what I have decided to call a Bag2Bag - it's so that I can use all the bags that I like without the worry of whether or not I've remembered to transfer everything from the last bag I used - this way I just move this with everything in it and it's just like a lining ready filled. Now I just need to make sure I put things back into the Bag2Bag rather than letting it fall between that abnd the bag itself.

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm still trundling on with the teacosy. I'm not sure how many hours it will take because I'm just knitting a row or two here and there. My initial estimate of a week may have assumed only one side when it's knitted in three pieces - two sides and the lid.

So don't quote me on this, but I think I've just got about halfway up one side in about an hour and a half so I think the knitting could be done in 7-8 hours (by me, I'm not very fast) and then the construction wouldn't take too long.

--------------------

Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
What a sweet Tea Cosy!

Yesterday I made what I have decided to call a Bag2Bag - it's so that I can use all the bags that I like without the worry of whether or not I've remembered to transfer everything from the last bag I used - this way I just move this with everything in it and it's just like a lining ready filled. Now I just need to make sure I put things back into the Bag2Bag rather than letting it fall between that abnd the bag itself.

You can actually buy something like that - I've seen them in gift catalogues.

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Hmm yes I could buy one, like I could buy the lovely woollens I've knitted and clothes I've sewn and gifts I've made. But it was very satisfying working out how to make something like that.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Hmm yes I could buy one, like I could buy the lovely woollens I've knitted and clothes I've sewn and gifts I've made. But it was very satisfying working out how to make something like that.

I really like your bag, it looks great and it's a good idea. I doubt I would use one much but they would make great presents. How long did it take you?

What I do use are these ecosilk bags made on the north coast of NSW. They scrunch down to next to nothing so I have one in handbag for shopping. I also have on-the-go knitting projects in separate bags. That way I grab soemthing as I go out the door and it's all contained. Great handles never hurt my arthritic hands and they will carry quite a weight. I buy them in packs of six, lovely colours too..

I'm with you about the satisfaction of making. Particularly if there's been some frustration with pattern or making along the way. When it's all figured out and finished, there's great satisfaction.

Too much satisfaction sometimes. My feet now despise commercial socks and hate having them on. Handknitted for them or nothing, pretty well.

--------------------

Avalon
Shipmate
# 8094

- Posted      Profile for Avalon         Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I can't ever read this without being reminded of all the things I mean to do and haven't gotten around to yet. I've been meaning to "invent" the bag to bag out of leftover material for years. And I have a pattern book for hats, gloves and socks for all the leftover wool which doesn't seem to ever get prioritised over adding more leftovers to the basket.
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I wonder if bags to grab are used most by crafters? We like to take something with us if we can, and with several projects on the go it's nice to be able to take the one that suits the situation and the mood.

I have a backpack made from silk that it similar to those silk bags, Lothlorien. It's great the way it fits into the smallest of spaces.

The bagliner took about 4 hours to make, but about half of that was working out how to get the zipped pockets and to make a squared base of a lined bag, and unpicking what I'd sewn when I realised it wouldn't work quite that way. I suspect another time I'd make it differently.
Of course, now I've made it I realise there are bags that I like to use that aren't shaped as much like buckets as the ones that I made it for, but that is for another wet afternoon when I can't get out in the garden and weed!

Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been enjoying weaving on my Kromski Harp rigid-heddle loom, a neat little piece of equipment that is whetting my appetite for an even bigger loom. I just love Scandinavian traditional weaving and am planning to spend a week here next year. I think a large Glimakra floor loom may be in my future...

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by David Powell:
Any ideas for useful projects for a congregation?

My Mam has a group of knitters and crocheters. It all started out when she was knitting some hats, scarves and gloves for a Shoebox appeal. Some people saw what she was doing and asked if they could make some too. Then people asked if she might like some yarn. Over a couple of years her band of knitters grew and grew.

Then Mam saw a charity advert asking for hats for premature baby hats. She gave it a go, and the others saw she was doing something different, and wanted in on the act. Their mainstay is the Shoebox appeal, but they also have knitted and crocheted Teddies for Tragedies, hats of premature babies, blankets for the maternity hospital, and various other bits. They enjoy doing different things and changing things around.

If you have a group of crocheters and knitters, you might think of a first project and aim to collect a certain number of items. Then when you have reached that total change the items and charity.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think I forgot to post on here that I made those slippers that are made out of squares, except I crotcheted not knitted, and put a tie on the front with Murano glass beads I bought in Rome. Oh and I made them out of local wool from New Lanark They were a tadge misshapen, but sister said she appreciated them as a Christmas present....

So, more than a year ago I bought a pattern and some material to make new pyjamas. Looking at the fabric, it's actually rather dull baby blue flanellette stuff, so what I thought I could do was get some dark blue fabric paint and buy or make a stencil, and put some things on. The question is, should I do it before or after I make the jammies? Is there a distinct benefit in either direction?

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Tea Gnome,
Not that I've ever done anything like that at all, but it would seem to me to be much easier to do the stenciling first onto a flat piece of material than try to do it on a finished article.

The only proviso which occurred to me would be if you wanted a motif in one particular place. In that case you would need to be very careful in placing the pattern before cutting.

--------------------

Tea gnome
Shipmate
# 9424

- Posted      Profile for Tea gnome     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Good, I think that was what I'd thought, but often I find I think one thing, and then more expert people suck their teeth and say You wouldn't want to do it like that love! [Razz] So thanks for reassurance.
TG

--------------------
Floating Fund!

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Tea gnome:
Good, I think that was what I'd thought, but often I find I think one thing, and then more expert people suck their teeth and say You wouldn't want to do it like that love! [Razz] So thanks for reassurance.
TG

I mentioned motif placement only because I had just read on someone's blog that they had not been careful enough when cutting the bodice for a dress to sew. One very large flower was lopsidedly over one boob, making both her and the dress look most peculiar. Fortunately she was able to do something with a tie or collar to downplay the original mistake.

--------------------

To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

Thanks to a couple of train journeys this weekend all three pieces of my teacosy are knitted up. Now I just need to find the time to sew them all together and add the beads for buttons before my friend's birthday in two weeks' time.

I always feel rather pleased when I finish something for someone - I so rarely finish anything for myself.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm feeling rather pleased with myself.
Over at the self sufficientish forum, someone mentioned a pattern for pretty knickers on the website www.colettepatterns.com made with an old t-shirt.
I had a look at the picture, and a little think, and I made up my own pattern.
Basically, I cut out the pattern using the bottom hem of the t-shirt as the waistband of the knickers, shaped the legs, sewed the bit between the legs together, and added a gusset on top of that. Then I turned over the top, hemmed round, and threaded elastic through.
They took about an hour to hand sew, and I'm wearing them now.
To be honest, the best word to describe them is probably 'passionkillers', but they work, and the next pair will be better.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ye Olde Motherboarde
Ship's Mother and Singing Quilter
# 54

- Posted      Profile for Ye Olde Motherboarde   Email Ye Olde Motherboarde   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
I'm toying with the idea of learning to do wax resist Easter eggs, like Ukrainian ones. Has anyone done them and if so, how difficult was it to learn? And do you have any hints for beginners?

Ukranian eggs do take a bit of learning, I had a fantastic teacher, but they take TIME and of course, you have to think backward color-wise. The results are so interesting. But, that you are trying them at all is great. I'm proud of you, Lyda for taking this on.

[Edit: UBB]

[ 18. March 2010, 16:32: Message edited by: Zappa ]

--------------------
In Memory of Miss Molly, TimC, Gambit, KenWritez, koheleth, Leetle Masha, JLG, Genevieve, Erin, RuthW2, deuce2, Sidi and TonyCoxon, unbeliever, Morlader, Ken :tear: 20 years but who’s counting?..................

Posts: 4292 | From: Looking for more trouble to get into | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I'm full of admiration, Lyda - I got as far as blowing eggs and trying out some basic batik on one (following one of the Ukranian websites) but soon realised it needs a more steady hand than I have (as well as the skills YoM mentions).
To use all the empty egg shells I decided to dye them sunshine yellow and decorate with stick-ons - I hadn't realised that brown eggs just go slightly browner with sunshine yellow dye!
Since then I've found some eggs with really pretty pastel blue/green shaded shells, far too pretty to dye, so I'll be blowing them this weekend ready to decorate with ribbons - I think I'll be doing some baking too [Smile]

Mrs Smith - nee Lady G
Shipmate
# 3746

- Posted      Profile for Mrs Smith - nee Lady G   Email Mrs Smith - nee Lady G   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone got any tips on sock knitting? I did a four needle knit and ended up with a really obvious line up the side which was a little disappointing. Also, the pattern told me to cast off (bind off) but this has left the toe looking lumpy when made up.

Thanks all.

--------------------
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence." (Unknown)

Posts: 854 | From: Central London innit | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Mrs Smith - nee Lady G:
Anyone got any tips on sock knitting? I did a four needle knit and ended up with a really obvious line up the side which was a little disappointing. Also, the pattern told me to cast off (bind off) but this has left the toe looking lumpy when made up.

Thanks all.

The ladder at the edge will probably wash out. However, you can try pulling he stitch a bit tightly when you start the next needle. With experience, ladders are infrequent.

I'm not quite sure what you mean about the toe. Any ideas anyone or can you elaborate?

If you knit from the cuff down, then usually the toe is grafted together with two needles of live stitches.

Another way which may leave a lumpy seam is the three needle bindoff. In this you hold the two needles of stitches together. With a third needle, knit one from back needle and one from front needle with the third needle. Repeat and the pass the first stitch on third needle over the second and start again this will leave a ridge.

Ask again if this is no help or if I've misunderstood your question. Alternatively, you can use Google and find many videos on the topic.

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Mrs Smith - if it helps you, I use the Kitchener Graft for finishing off the toe on socks. An internet search will produce lots of examples of how to do this.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I also use Kitchener graft for toes for a couple of reasons.

I actually like doing it and I like the finish it produces. I have used three needle bind off when I've done a short row toe but prefer kitchener.

There are videos for just about any knitting query on the net. Sometimes it may take a while to find them and you may need to be specific in search terms.

--------------------

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kitchener graft sounds like something a surgeon might do for someone who had injured their foot. Think I'll stick to cross-stitch.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
Kitchener graft sounds like something a surgeon might do for someone who had injured their foot. Think I'll stick to cross-stitch.

Huia

Actually Huia, it follows the pattern of the stitch of the fabric of the sock and makes a seamless, invisible join across the toe or whatever else is needed. Very neat.

I'm currently making a lacy cashmere/silk scarf in two pieces and will graft the two together when finished. Seam won't be obvious and the scarf will have a pointy lacy end hanging the right way at each end.

It's a good skill to know for a knitter.

--------------------

babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Grafting is wonderful for toes, utterly wonderful. It gives such a smooth join and makes the socks look complete. It is well worth the small investment in time to prefect grafting. YouTube has a raft of videos showing how to graft. This one looks like a pretty decent tutorial.

Grafting is one of the techniques that take a knitted another stage up the ladder in terms of mastering the craft.

I don't like using a three needle cast-off in socks. There is always the danger that the seam will cause rubbing. An excellent way to start off a toe-up sock is to use Judy's magic cat on. This gives a fantastic toe to a sock and if you use LA-Link and La-Rink you can get a toe-up sock which is almost identical in look to a cuff-down sock.

Going back to Mrs Smith's socks, the line you can will have been caused by not maintaining the gauge across the knitting whilst going from one needle to the next. This can show in two ways, either a ladder between the stitches, or two stitches been very close together. AS Lothlorien said, washing and wearing will probably sort out most of the tightness/slackness. Probably the best thing to do is to say "For a first pair of socks, these are looking mighty fine." and give yourself a pat on the back. Your next socks will be even better.

On my first pair of socks I had ladders and over-tight stitches. I realised what was going wrong, and started giving the knitting a tug between needles to tighten things up a bit. This over tightened it! Despite the loose and tight bits, those socks are still being worn almost 4 years later. The knitter needs to gauge it just right as how hard to tug to get the stitches to sit nicely together. As with so many things, it takes practise.

One suggestion I heard was to knit the stitches on the needle, and two from the next on. Any tension issues are them spiralled around the sock. This means any tension problems are spread around the sock and not stacked one on top of the other. This does work, but I would suggest it is better to practise getting the tension right rather than finding a work around.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I've just come back from a wonderful weekend in London. One of the places I really wanted to see again (I haven't been for over twenty years) was Libertys - it's an amazing building, apart from anything else. What I didn't know until I got there was that they are hosting a quilting exhibition in association with the V&A. The quilts are all hanging over the third floor galleries, and they are very impressive. There are more in the shop windows. Fantastic stuff!

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  22  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016