homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 26)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
What I didn't know until I got there was that they are hosting a quilting exhibition in association with the V&A.

I've just booked myself on a coach trip to see the Three Hundred Years of Quilts Exhibition at the V&A. The outing isn't until June 'though.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh my...

I shall be in the south of England at the end of June for Methodist Conference. I had been planning on flying to London and seeing a show and having a mooch. Mooching plans may now include the V&A.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
Oh my...

I shall be in the south of England at the end of June for Methodist Conference. I had been planning on flying to London and seeing a show and having a mooch. Mooching plans may now include the V&A.

Have a mooch for me too please.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There seems to be a bit of a baby boom going on amongst my friends atm, so I've got a few things planned to go on the needles after I've finished the Never Ending Scarf. I'm thinking of tackling the February baby cardigan from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac but may well need a lot of support as it looks a bit tricky!

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kentishmaid:
There seems to be a bit of a baby boom going on amongst my friends atm, so I've got a few things planned to go on the needles after I've finished the Never Ending Scarf. I'm thinking of tackling the February baby cardigan from Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac but may well need a lot of support as it looks a bit tricky!

We can try it together. I've done other things from her but not this one. I did start the February Ladies sweater when it was all the rage but ripped it out and did two Liesls by Scottish designer, Ysolda Teague. Liesl needed lots of markers and that may be the key. Will dig out my book tomorrow and have a look at pattern.

However, I've been asked to testknit some wool new to Australia and that is what has been chosen. 5-6 weeks to do it.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

KM,

I've dug out my Knitters's Almanac by Elizabeth Zimmerman.Is that what you are loking at too?

The part in the beginning of the chapter is a bit confusing, but the pattern at the end is OK.

It's knit from the top down. Work carefully through the pattern and you'll see how it goes. When you get to armholes, the sleeves are done in situ.

Then pattern down the rest of the body. All that needs sewing at the end are the buttons.

I don't have the wool yet, it should come in the next day or so. Ysolda's Liesl pattern is done in the same way. I did two of those last year for me.

Hopefully I'll start it at the beginning of the weekend.

--------------------

jacobsen

seeker
# 14998

- Posted      Profile for jacobsen   Email jacobsen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the links to the grafting tutorial - that's really useful. I sometimes realise that I've left the main body of work at home, and begin another piece which I'll now be able to graft on. Fantastic. [Yipee]

--------------------
But God, holding a candle, looks for all who wander, all who search. - Shifra Alon
Beauty fades, dumb is forever-Judge Judy
The man who made time, made plenty.

Posts: 8040 | From: Æbleskiver country | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yes, Lothlorien, that's the one. Part of the reason it seems tricky to me is that I've never knit anything in the round before. Plus EZ's "pithy" instructions tend to be VERY pithy. I'm still deciding what yarn to use atm, though. Can't decide whether to go for royal blue, emerald green or a lovely deep red.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Yes, Lothlorien, that's the one. Part of the reason it seems tricky to me is that I've never knit anything in the round before. Plus EZ's "pithy" instructions tend to be VERY pithy. I'm still deciding what yarn to use atm, though. Can't decide whether to go for royal blue, emerald green or a lovely deep red.

It's actually not in the round. It's backwards and forwards but on circular needles so you have extra length. It is really a cardigan shape, open down the front.

All those colours sound beautiful.

My yarn wasn't at PO today so I can't do any of it yet.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Kentish maid,
Have you started the FBS yet?

My wool was at PO Box today after Easter break, so I started. I've read the instructions before and done two jackets in a similar style for me. However, I was eager to get this going because of delay in wool being posted to me.

Cast on and set off. I was just at the end of the yoke, having put markers in for the 4 garter edge stitches each side. I had another look and realised I had totally forgotten to start any buttonholes.

Now I've seen the adult jacket with the buttons from bust down, but that would not do for a baby. So I ripped it all out and started it again.

More haste, less speed sort of thing. I've re-read the instructions yet again to make sure I include all the bits.

This wool is absolutely gorgeous to knit with. I think I mentioned this is a test knit for someone else. Obviously I'm not testing the pattern but a new wool supplier for someone I know who has beautiful stuff. Great yarns and she's a genius at colours and dyeing. This is supersoft sock wool with some nylon in it. It knits well, looks great, even where I'm re-using the wool having ripped it out because of buttonholes.

So please be more careful than I was.

[ 06. April 2010, 08:11: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have been very busy over the last few months making things related to our wedding, but of course I couldn't post any pics before the events.

I made the table plan and we used shot glasses for wedding favours, decorated with a ribbon and a luggage tag with the name of the guest on it. I also made all the invitations and orders of service.

My crowning moment though was making handbags for my bridesmaids. Five different bags, made with the same pattern but all a bit different. All made with fabric from my stash or stuff I got from a charity shop. It was such fun and I think they liked them.

Here are some pics.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
angelica37
Shipmate
# 8478

- Posted      Profile for angelica37   Author's homepage   Email angelica37   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well done Auntie Doris those are lovely
Posts: 1351 | From: Suffolk | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Auntie Doris, I loved the first coppery orange bag! They were all lovely, but that one really caught my eye!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Auntie Doris, those bags are cute, cute, cute! [Yipee] I'm sure they were very well liked!

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by St. Gwladys:
Auntie Doris, I loved the first coppery orange bag! They were all lovely, but that one really caught my eye!

That one was for birdie and it was made out of an old sari I got from a charity shop for about £3. Was a bitch to sew though!

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gorgeous, gorgeous pics Auntie Doris!

I have been 'repurposing' a charity shop find over the Easter weekend. The council up here owns a charity shop that they let out to different groups on a weekly basis and a friend from my small group took it on last week for a pregnancy crisis centre and a charity working with ex-offenders that are connected to our church. Well, I was helping set things out after church and this awful pair of 70's curtains (orange and mustard 1" squares, oh yes!)were calling to me all afternoon so eventually I caved in and took them home and over Easter have turned one of them into a short skirt with pockets that makes me smile.

Strangely enough a pattern like that is much less overwhelming on a fairly small skirt than it was as curtains! I have a cunning plan to turn the other curtain into a drop-waist circle skirt if there's enough of it.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

Sorry, Lothlorien, I haven't yet. I got sidetracked because I suddenly remembered a friend's daughter has a birthday coming up and I needed to make something for her. I've pretty much decided on emerald green yarn though and intend to get onto it soon.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Sorry, Lothlorien, I haven't yet. I got sidetracked because I suddenly remembered a friend's daughter has a birthday coming up and I needed to make something for her. I've pretty much decided on emerald green yarn though and intend to get onto it soon.

Just searched for the thread and found you've posted.

I finished mine this afternoon. It was late in afternoon so haven't taken any photos yet. I'm not particularly taken with the mauve, but the garment was made to test the yarn. No baby will get it.

Read the pattern through before you begin, good advice I don't always follow myself and don't forget the buttonholes which need to be in the yoke as well as on body. Other than that, I just followed bit by bit and it all worked.

This yarn is gorgeous, soft and cuddly and easy to work with.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had a length of green cotton in my stash, and it's been sitting on my 'to do' pile for some weeks now, cut out as a skirt pattern. Yesterday I finally got round to making it up, partly on the sewing machine and partly hand stitched in the garden (sunshine! At last!).
It fits better than the first skirt I made from the same pattern, so I'm improving, and I wore it to work today.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Help! When I bought my first sewing machine in October, I bought a cheap and cheerful. Well, it's not so cheerful anymore and I'm finding I doing things it was never designed to handle. So I'm looking to take a step up. My dream machine would be a sewing/embroidery machine, but I don't really have that sort of budget, so I would like a sewing machine that can allow me to do freehand embroidery and also work with heavy materials/multiple fabric layers. I've been considering a Jenome J3-24. Any thoughts or other recommendations?
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Boadicea Trott
Shipmate
# 9621

- Posted      Profile for Boadicea Trott   Email Boadicea Trott   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Auntie Doris:

My crowning moment though was making handbags for my bridesmaids. Five different bags, made with the same pattern but all a bit different. All made with fabric from my stash or stuff I got from a charity shop. It was such fun and I think they liked them.

Here are some pics.

Auntie Doris x

Auntie D, I loved the photos ! The bags are especially gorgeous [Big Grin]

--------------------
X-Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

Posts: 563 | From: Roaming the World in my imagination..... | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
Help! When I bought my first sewing machine in October, I bought a cheap and cheerful. Well, it's not so cheerful anymore and I'm finding I doing things it was never designed to handle. So I'm looking to take a step up. My dream machine would be a sewing/embroidery machine, but I don't really have that sort of budget, so I would like a sewing machine that can allow me to do freehand embroidery and also work with heavy materials/multiple fabric layers. I've been considering a Jenome J3-24. Any thoughts or other recommendations?

I was given a Janome for them 21st birthday (ie quite some time ago!) - it is a little bit similar to that one but probably even more basic. I like it, although at some point I will upgrade to a bigger and better model. Having said that my machine has made about a dozen quilts and has managed to do everything I have needed it to do over the years. I think they are a pretty good brand and I would recommend it.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I replaced my sewing machine recently, I checked out the Which reviews - they recommended the Brother BC2100 - in fact, the other one they sort of recommended but warned that the thread would keep breaking, which is not really a recommendation. So I went with the Brother and I am very pleased with it. It has a selection of preset embroidery, although it doesn't do freestyle embroidery. I've gone through quite a lot of projects with it now with no problems at all, and I am particularly impressed with the needle threader!
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the input (and I love, love, love those bags that you made, Auntie D). I, being the nitwit that I am, have struck out on my out and bought something completely different after reading some company history/reviews online. I ordered an SMD 766, because it was the same price as the Jenome with a couple of added features (including a 5 year warranty, rather than a 2 year warranty). It's being delivered this afternoon and I'm looking forward to curling up with the instruction manual as soon as it arrives! I have a craft fair tomorrow and I suspect I'll have something new for the table made tonight. [Big Grin]
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

My new sewing machine and I have gotten properly acquainted, and I'd sit and play with it all day if I could (sadly, reality just won't allow for it). I've been finding some really fantastic and inexpensive fabrics to make wallhangings with and I've just created my own pattern for wee girl's dresses.

Alright you crafty people - what are you up to?

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Little girl dresses are lovely, Flausa. My machine does not get a lot of use here right now. When I get a place of my own I hope to have space to have it set up. No fun when it has to set up and then put away regularly. It's a Husqvarna, about 15 years old.

I'm about 15 rows away from finishing a Brangian shawl. I'm using a mix of 50/50, that is 50% merino and 50% silk in a deep dark burgundy colour. It's lovely to knit with and I'm enjoying it. I caught shawl fever last winter and did nine shawls then. I still have it. This is my third this year, along with socks, wristwarmers, scarves, some baby clothes. Possibly more but I can't think of it now.

I did use preview, honest I did!

[ 21. May 2010, 09:35: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Lilly Rose
Shipmate
# 13826

- Posted      Profile for Lilly Rose   Email Lilly Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I love knitting and textile crafts, but I'm into handcrafted card making at the moment.

I love the way there are so many design possibilities, and the way I can use colour and textures to create a work of art that's personalised for each friend I give them to.

It's summer here in the UK, so knitting will have to wait for the winter.

[Smile]

Posts: 102 | From: Midlands UK | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Lilly Rose:
I love knitting and textile crafts, but I'm into handcrafted card making at the moment.

I love the way there are so many design possibilities, and the way I can use colour and textures to create a work of art that's personalised for each friend I give them to.

It's summer here in the UK, so knitting will have to wait for the winter.

[Smile]

I knit all year round and it's much hotter down here. However, it's usually lace done in laceweight or socks, things that aren't big and heavy in my lap. I feel about gifts as you do, something personal for each recipient. Something I've put thought into as well as time and money. I do make sure that my knitting goes to those whom I know will use it. My grandchildren all love my socks too, so they are often on the receiving end.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have just acquired a knitting pattern for making a big enormous jacket/jumper thing. I figure if I start now it might actually finished by Christmas [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I feel about gifts as you do, something personal for each recipient. Something I've put thought into as well as time and money. I do make sure that my knitting goes to those whom I know will use it. My grandchildren all love my socks too, so they are often on the receiving end.

And your hats are wonderful for this time of year when it's chilly around the edges - both practical and decorative. [Yipee]

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Huia:
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I feel about gifts as you do, something personal for each recipient. Something I've put thought into as well as time and money. I do make sure that my knitting goes to those whom I know will use it. My grandchildren all love my socks too, so they are often on the receiving end.

And your hats are wonderful for this time of year when it's chilly around the edges - both practical and decorative. [Yipee]

Huia

Just what I'd hoped for, Huia.
[Smile]

--------------------

jedijudy

# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Daughter-Unit came to me last week asking if I had ever knitted or crocheted. When I told her I used to in my very long ago past, she said she had seen some cute crocheted long vests and thought she should try to make one.

So, we got a hook, some cheap yarn, and an instruction book for beginners. I held my breath. After showing her some basic basics (like crocheting a chain), she has just taken off!

Bless her little night-owl heart, she is staying up 'till the wee hours practicing. This morning, at 5:45, I saw the light was on and she proudly showed me a beautiful flower she had made.

All this to say that y'all have a new crafter in your midst...and also to bump this thread! [Biased]

--------------------

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hooray - another happy hooker! Crochet is so addictive - it's faster than knitting on the whole - and you can make 3D projects really easily.

Some of my favourite crochet blogs are Woo Work, Future Girl and Roman Sock. Lots of inspiration for fun projects there!

Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm glad this has been bumped, people are probably chained to sewing machines etc and it's difficult to surf'n'sew.

Mrs Sioni has finished a set of table mats for friends 25th anniversary. Good, thick quilting thanks to a decent machine.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

I'm very impatiently waiting for some new Moda fabric from the States, so that I can do a couple of wall hangings or quilts using the panel and some of the coordinating fabrics from Moda's frolic series. I've just finished an order for one of my wrap dresses for one of David's wee friends, and I've got another one to make. I'm hoping to do some sewing while my mom's here for a couple of weeks, and will hopefully send some goodies back with her for the family.
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those look gorgeous fabrics, Flausa.

I'd like to do more sewing with a machine again but haven't a clue what to look for. I managed to use my mum's in the olden days but that was with help and no longer exists.

Any ideas? I've heard a cheap one isn't the way to go but what is it I need to look for.

I will probably just be doing simple things (edges of cushions etc) so doesn't need to be fancy.

emma.

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
ecumaniac

Ship's whipping girl
# 376

- Posted      Profile for ecumaniac   Author's homepage   Email ecumaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rosamundi gave me a good rec of one of the John Lewis branded ones. (I've lost it, though.) But I remember it was about £100-130, a fairly basic model.

--------------------
it's a secret club for people with a knitting addiction, hiding under the cloak of BDSM - Catrine

Posts: 2901 | From: Cambridge | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

I have a fairly basic Janome sewing machine, quite similar to this one I think.

It has done me well for 3 years and has helped me make many patchwork quilts. A basic machine is fine for most people.

Auntie Doris x

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. I am about to trade up from my Brother, which I got for £80 several decades ago. Half a dozen basic stitches will get you through most things.

When I get a new one, I shall put the old one on Freecycle, as it is still in good working order and would be perfectly ok for someone starting to sew. (I'm assuming, Emma Louise, that you're not in the Edinburgh area, or you would be welcome to it).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
DonLogan2
Shipmate
# 15608

- Posted      Profile for DonLogan2   Email DonLogan2   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I know it is a strange question, but does anyone here hand knit nets ?
I didn`t want to trawl(sorry) through dozens of pages ! I do it to replace my ferreting nets but am considering making a hammock and wondered about what mesh size to use and what yarn.

--------------------
“I have of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all my mirth... "

Posts: 359 | From: the very depths | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:
I agree. I am about to trade up from my Brother, which I got for £80 several decades ago. Half a dozen basic stitches will get you through most things.

When I get a new one, I shall put the old one on Freecycle, as it is still in good working order and would be perfectly ok for someone starting to sew. (I'm assuming, Emma Louise, that you're not in the Edinburgh area, or you would be welcome to it).

Thanks Frienze - sadly not! London at the moment. Thanks for the advice, I know how much I need to save now!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

Anyone looking for a new sewing machine, I would highly recommend Sewing Machines Direct. Competitively priced, free next day delivery, fantastic customer service, and some fantastic freebies available with some of the machines. They are the current distributors of Frister+Rossman machines, which is the brand of machine I bought (and with which I have been thoroughly chuffed to bits). Which reminds me, I need to go mend a pair of my summer trousers.

[Fixed link because the other one gave me a "404 Not Found" error message. Hope this is the site you meant, Flausa!]

[ 30. June 2010, 15:33: Message edited by: jedijudy ]

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just fired up my new Bernina.

Cruise control. Automatic tension selection. Self-threading. 85 stitches. Umpty-tiddly touch-button variations. LED lighting. I think I'm in love.

Flausa's right - you get loved to death by customer service. I got same day delivery.

[ 01. July 2010, 07:33: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

# 333

Oh, my. My little Kenmore zigzag and straight stitch machine is sitting in the corner weeping and feeling totally inferior to Flausa and Firenze's magnificent sewing machines! (And I'm pretty green with envy, myself!) [Biased]

--------------------

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a very basic little Toyota which has served me well for 6 or so years, including some quilting (although I don't have the patience for it). Emma Louise - try Freecycle and Preloved I've just had a quick look and found secondhand machines from between £35 and £50.

I have to boast - I've just been given a little table top rigid heddle loom and I am so excited! [Yipee] Any weavers on here - if my memory serves, Otter is a weaver? Where's a good place for a beginner to start with a rigid heddle loom?

Otter
Shipmate
# 12020

- Posted      Profile for Otter   Author's homepage   Email Otter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Earwig:
I have to boast - I've just been given a little table top rigid heddle loom and I am so excited! [Yipee] Any weavers on here - if my memory serves, Otter is a weaver? Where's a good place for a beginner to start with a rigid heddle loom?

Yep, I'm a weaver. "Hands On Rigid Heddle Weaving" from Interweave Press is a very good place to start. A couple of the projects look dated, but the techniques are all sound. Victorian Video Productions (or something like that) has/had a nice video I borrowed from our public library if you're a visual learner. Ashford also has a good rigid heddle book.

Moving beyond basic how-to books, a rigid heddle loom is, in general weaving terms, a 2-harness loom, so any pattern draft suitable for 2 harnesses will work from a structure point of view.

(insert evil laughter here) You will be assimilated! [Yipee]

--------------------
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data", YMMV, limited-time offer, IANAL, no purchase required, and the state of CA has found this substance to cause cancer in laboratory aminals

Posts: 1429 | From: Chicago, IL 'burbs | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

quote:
Originally posted by Otter:
(insert evil laughter here) You will be assimilated! [Yipee]

Yay for the weaving Borg! [Big Grin] Can't wait to be assimilated. Thanks for the book recommendations - the Betty Davenport one looks good - will get that when I get paid. I'm also getting excited by WeaveZine!
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A new craft shop opened in town yesterday. I intend to visit it tomorrow and will probably spend way too much money. From looking through the window while they were setting up it looks as though they have a large range of patchwork fabrics (in which I an very interested) and some really beautiful wools.

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a book on origami a couple of weeks ago, and I've been folding squares of newspaper for practice ever since. I'm thinking of trying some collages with origami figures incorporated (swans floating down a river, for instance). I'm finding it's coming back to me quite easily.

I used to be quite good at origami when I was around 12 - there was a little ten minute programme on at lunch times where a chap (possibly Robert Harbin?) would sit by a Japanese screen on an otherwise empty set and show you how to fold things.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was making cards a lot I used origami on quite a few. There was one I made loads of one Christmas, a gold star folded from a flattened out version of the crane-fold stuck onto a square of some red and gold wrapping paper that had lots of quotes and words about stars on. I think it was either on to red or white card.

I've also made 'new home cards' using a cat and an owl for people who've retired, etc. Being a cheapskate, these were made from brown paper bags, slightly 'airbrushed' using a Blitzer.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016