homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 27)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
CK cheapskates often make more interesting cards than those following instructions I find. There's something about the ability to use found bits and pieces that takes them far beyond the somewhat stilted paint-by -njmbers approach.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Earwig, I'm so excited about your loom! Yay! WIshing you many hours of enjoyment ahead.

And I have to jump in to say I enjoy origami quite a lot also, and this year have gotten into kirigami as well (Japanese paper-cutting).

The project of the moment is a crochet project. I am making some bracelets which combine thread crochet with some jewelry techniques, based on a design I saw in the most recent edition of a crochet magazine I receive. I'm really pleased - they are coming out well! Now I have good ideas for birthday and Christmas presents ahead. Hooray! :-)

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh I got a sewing machine. The same as Flausa's infact, and I can underline her recommendation for this model from the nice people at Sewing Machines Direct.

And then I started experimenting and one thing led to another and I appear to have made a patchwork quilt.

Which is *rather* exciting. Though its best viewed at low light as there are dodgy bits. But as an experiment, and within two rather weeks which were already rather busy, I'm quite chuffed.

So, what to do next? I'm wondering whether a Very Easy Clothes Pattern would be good, or maybe stick with something little... children's toy or bag or something. What would the more experienced crafters recommend? Any good patterns?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
So, what to do next? I'm wondering whether a Very Easy Clothes Pattern would be good, or maybe stick with something little... children's toy or bag or something. What would the more experienced crafters recommend? Any good patterns?

I say: Go for it. Little is not necessarily easy - it can mean fiddly.

I did a lot of cheap and cheeful tops and a dress, all based on one very simple pattern for knitted fabrics - which can be very forgiving, since there is usually not much requirement for fitting/shaping, or for interfacing.

Tuesday, I bought 3 lengths of really nice fabric, to make tops and a dress for my hols. And a Vogue pattern, which is basically round-neck, 4 seams (front, back and 2 side) and set in sleeves without any gathering. I made it up yesterday in some fabric I had lying about, before committing to the new expensive stuff. This is a step which is really worth doing.

The downside of the simple construction is that the body of the garment has to be cut on the bias, so you are investing a lot of fabric.

The sample garment (which is quite wearable in its own right) showed me that the back neck was cut a bit too low, and that I needed to apply the neck binding a bit more carefully. So this morning, I cut it again in the cheaper of my two pieces for tops, with a modified neckline.

It will only take an hour or so to sew, particularly as I am familiar with it, and based on that I can decide whether to commit to making the dress to the same pattern (that's the really expensive fabric, and also where I will have to do most modification to the pattern).

So that would be my advice - get a pattern you fancy and do a practice run. Then improve on it.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Anyone any idea where I can get a pattern for decent clerical tunnel collar?

Currently attempting to copy from a made up shirt but wondering if I am spending a lot of time reinventing the wheel!!

Not yet got any worn enough to consider dis-sembly to properly 'reverse engineer'

--------------------
http://aweebleswonderings.blogspot.com/

Posts: 1305 | From: west midlands | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The finished article as per my previous post.

Love that fabric, love it.

Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Firenze:

I did a lot of cheap and cheeful tops and a dress, all based on one very simple pattern for knitted fabrics - which can be very forgiving, since there is usually not much requirement for fitting/shaping, or for interfacing.

I am not sure I agree. I think sewing with knitted fabric can be quite difficult because it can stretch. I would start by making things out of cotton which holds it's shape well and o which you can easily learn the basics.

Mind you... I love that fabric too Firenze!

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh, pictures! That really helps to visualise.

That's so the 'style' of clothes I like! What's the name of the pattern?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
That's so the 'style' of clothes I like! What's the name of the pattern?

It's Vogue 8659.

Re fabrics: I haven't had a problem since I got the Bernina. I've used a slight zigzag stitch, but that's the only difference - otherwise it's just been pin and go (I am essentially a practitioner of Coarse Dressmaking. All corners cut all the time).

The thing about knits is you do get good drape, particularly if you like full and flowing shapes.

Anyway, tomorrow the linen mix, which will be a teensy bit more challenging.

Poppy

Ship's dancing cat
# 2000

- Posted      Profile for Poppy   Email Poppy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm also of the coarse school of dressmaking. I haven't tacked a long seam in years and only bother with the fiddly bits in the armholes. My machine is so ancient it doesn't do knit fabrics and I'm thinking of upgrading it on ebay or in the sales if I can find some cash down the back of the sofa.

My latest project arrived yesterday and is a kit to make a stole and is the most lovely apple green. From the instructions it appears that the key to sucess is masses of careful measuring, pinning and tacking. This may be a challenge [Eek!] .

--------------------
At the still point of the turning world - there the dance is...

Posts: 1406 | From: mostly on the edge | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

quote:
Originally posted by Poppy:
My machine is so ancient it doesn't do knit fabrics and I'm thinking of upgrading it on ebay or in the sales

Seriously, even if it involves a life of crime, I would invest in the new machine. The Coarse Dressmakers bestest friend: it lets you get away with so much. Mine has automatic tension, a perfect feed and could sew through girders. You practically just have to throw fabric in its general direction and you have a dress.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ferijen,

I wouldn't try a child's toy to start. Many of them have lots of curves which need careful trimming and then a tight corner to navigate around. eg, animal's head then neck or under arm to body.

Try something with straighter seams, even perhaps a tote bag or perhaps a skirt which doesn't need a zip for a start.

I've been knitting heaps. Have done two shawls in the last six weeks and some other stuff too.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Avila:

Currently attempting to copy from a made up shirt but wondering if I am spending a lot of time reinventing the wheel!!

I looked long and hard and had zero success in finding a pattern.

I make my own clerical shirts or take the collars off regular shirts and re-shape them.

If you have a clergy shirt that fits, just trace or measure the collar so you have the right length, width, fold line, etc. Then use this as a replacement for the collar pattern piece on an otherwise suitable shirt pattern.

I am a home-sewer, not a trained dressmaker and my shirts all worked out OK after my initial "learning shirt". You need a shirt which is properly high-fitting at the neck. If the shirt is cut slightly lower, that can make the collar a little too wide at the neck and can also make the front a little low, which results in a wedge-shaped space for your white tab, rather than a good rectangle.

PM me if you want more detailed instructions.

My best strategy was to buy a high necked shirt from a charity shop, take off the collar and make all my mistakes on that before I invested in the fabrics I liked.

Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Not yet got any worn enough to consider dis-sembly to properly 'reverse engineer'

I use Simplicity 7187, I beleive it is now discontinued but copies sometimes show up on ebay

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

- Posted      Profile for Avila   Email Avila   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the collar tips - having seriously googled and that simplicity ref was mentioned but no leads.

I did have a try before on converting existing collars to tunnels but a lack of high neck woman's shirts around at the moment. I have made the shirt bit (ready for poppers instead of buttons as too lazy/not the tech for button holing!)

Not attempted collars at all in my (very) limited sewing career - would you use anything more than facing to give it some stiffness in shape (using cheap polycotton this time around)

Thanks all

--------------------

Cranmer's baggage

Ship's Opinionated Dame
# 1662

- Posted      Profile for Cranmer's baggage   Email Cranmer's baggage   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Thanks for the collar tips - having seriously googled and that simplicity ref was mentioned but no leads.

I did have a try before on converting existing collars to tunnels but a lack of high neck woman's shirts around at the moment. I have made the shirt bit (ready for poppers instead of buttons as too lazy/not the tech for button holing!)

Not attempted collars at all in my (very) limited sewing career - would you use anything more than facing to give it some stiffness in shape (using cheap polycotton this time around)

Thanks all

Assuming that you're making the shirt using a pattern with a standard collar, you can make a pattern for a clerical collar from the paper pattern you have. Most collars come in two parts - the part where the collar button goes, and the part that folds back over, which usually has a point at either end.

Cut the collar button part according to your pattern, and then cut the collar part. Mark a straight line at right angles from the edge that will join the button part across to the other edge, cutting off the collar points. Now mark a line parallel to the inner (joining on) edge of the collar, about 2 inches (5cm) from the seam line (this allows about 1/2 inch seam allowance, and a little ease for the fold, plus space for a 1 or 1 1/4 inch collar tab.)

When you cut along these lines you should end up with a slightly curved rectilinear shape. Make the collar up according to the directions, then stitch down a few inches either side of the front to create the tunnel for your collar tab.

Standard interfacing is all you need to give the collar some body.

--------------------
Eschew obfuscation!

Posts: 1537 | From: the apple isle | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Morgan
Shipmate
# 15372

- Posted      Profile for Morgan   Email Morgan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The pattern I am currently using is a KWIK SEW 3555. It does not have a clergy collar but I just change the collar as suggested by Cranmer's baggage.

This pattern is simple but does not have bust darts. Any similar pattern with the same neckline would work. One with darts would probably fit a little better if you can find one.

Posts: 111 | From: Canberra | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Avila
Shipmate
# 15541

Thanks everyone, with your pointers and my existing shirt I have managed a pretty acceptable collar. [Yipee]

For next time I need to refine the placing of the tunnel edges... but that's how we learn.

--------------------

Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think scrapbooking's been mentioned on this thread before - wondered whether anybody here is into art journaling?

--------------------
"I don't feel like smiling." "You're English dear; fake it!" (Colin Firth "Easy Virtue")
Growing Greenpatches

Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
No to art journalling, but I have just come back from a lovely day making felt in an outbuilding of an outdoor pursuits centre - with a thunderstorm going on outside for some of the time, and three little boys (the oldest was 6) making a den under the table where we were making the felt, with lots of soapy water to play with!

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Miffy

Ship's elephant
# 1438

- Posted      Profile for Miffy   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
No to art journalling, but I have just come back from a lovely day making felt in an outbuilding of an outdoor pursuits centre - with a thunderstorm going on outside for some of the time, and three little boys (the oldest was 6) making a den under the table where we were making the felt, with lots of soapy water to play with!

I've never heard of that before. Sounds interesting. How do you go about that?
Posts: 4739 | From: The Kitchen | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, you start with sheep's wool, which may or may not have been dyed. We were making small bags, so we first cut a circle of thick plastic as a form to place the fleece around. Cover one side, wet it, rub it around with soapy water. Repeat on the other side, and do each side several times, with layers that can be the same colour or different colours in a pattern. There's a lot of rolling it out with a rolling pin, and then you have to roll the whole thing up in more plastic and roll it on the table.
Have another cup of tea...
And finally you plunge it into water as hot as your hand can stand, followed quickly by cold water.
Let it dry out a bit, and then cut a little hole to get the plastic out of the middle, and then manipulate it a bit more until you have the shape of clasp bag you require.
We got some wonderful results, considering it was the first time for most of us. We had our demonstrator and another lady who were rather good at it, and another lady who had done it once when her now six year old son was four, in play group. ("The kids designed it, and the mothers did all the hard work!")

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I got a first for a crochet jacket and a third for a Just Nan sampler (done years ago) in our local agricultural show!
(First prize £3, so not exactly big winnings, but I did manage to cover all my entry fees!)

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, I'm doing something new. I make stuffed Scottie dogs, and I was asked if I could make a draft excluder ... oh, and could I also make it weighted. Sooooo much fabric going into it, including a fleece "sausage" casing for the bead weights (because it needs to be quite long), but hopefully it'll do the trick!

I'm also gearing up to start Christmas sewing. I found these yo-yo ornaments and can't wait to make them, because they look so cute. Anyone else getting ready for a crafty Christmas?

Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
To The Pain
Shipmate
# 12235

- Posted      Profile for To The Pain   Email To The Pain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm starting to think about Christmas crafts, copied down a few online patterns for crocheted snowflakes so I can make garlands to string up in the flat, started looking out for interesting maps to make baubles out of (decoupage over polystyrene forms), contemplating french-knitting a wreath, finding patterns for suitable presents for different people - I very much doubt much will get done, but you never know.

Over the summer I have made swedish blinds for a flat shared by three of my friends - I was very pleased that they actually go up and down! And I bought a set of knitting looms and will probably bash out a hat or two while trying out stitches and things. I even knitted a 'school jumper' for a friend's fancy new mobile telephone - complete with grey wool and cables!

Now I'm in a new flat I need to get all my supplies sorted and on with making a few things in preparation for december and Christmas, thanks for the reminder Flausa.

--------------------
Now occasionally blogging.
Hire Bell Tents and camping equipment in Scotland

Posts: 1183 | From: The Granite City | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I have some knitting looms, too. At the moment I'm in the middle of my second sock in a pair - the first pair I've ever made, so I'm a bit anxious that they won't turn out the same (but they'll be hidden in a pair of wellies anyway, so it doesn't matter too much).

This morning I bought a couple of old maps of Cornwall, with a lot of sea around them. I want to trace off the coastline and cut it out of old newspaper, and add collage sailing boats where the sea should be.

--------------------

Kitten
Shipmate
# 1179

- Posted      Profile for Kitten   Email Kitten   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
I'm also gearing up to start Christmas sewing. I found these yo-yo ornaments and can't wait to make them, because they look so cute. Anyone else getting ready for a crafty Christmas?

I made a large Christmas wreath for the front door several years ago using these yo-yos in assorted scraps of red and green topped with a huge crimson, ribbon bow. I used if for a few years until it got stolen

--------------------
Maius intra qua extra

Never accept a ride from a stranger, unless they are in a big blue box

Posts: 2330 | From: Carmarthenshire | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I've made a Christmas wreath this year from cones of old newspaper glued onto a doughnut of daler board. It's very easy to do, and uses up vast quantities of newspaper - and it looks rather impressive at the end.
I won't be hanging it outside the front door though - one quick shower and it'll disintegrate.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Only slightly off topic and I enjoyed this. I know there are other Pratchett fans on board. Terry Pratchett knits and spins.

There's an introductory bit and scroll down for an interview. It's several years old, so some of you may have seen it already.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've been busy making Christmas cards from last year's Christmas cards. I'm hoping to sell some at the local Marché de Noel, but also to send many to our friends. The problem is, not knowing how many I'll sell means I have to make a lot. Which I might not use. Or sell. I suppose Christmas comes every year so I can just hang on to them till next year...

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Flausa

Mad Woman
# 3466

- Posted      Profile for Flausa     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Found another new project to try - a kanzashi Christmas tree. It's helping me use up odds and ends fabrics and is going to keep me out of trouble for a wee while!
Posts: 4610 | From: bonny Scotland | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Not sure if I've asked this before,but here goes.
A long time ago, I had a pattern for a hexagonal (or could have been octagonal) cushion, crocheted in Aran wool. It started by making interlaced rings, and they were then crocheted around. I'm pretty sure it was a Phildar pattern, but I've bought what I thought were the right books off ebay, but can't find that pattern. Can anyone help?

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

I can't help you St Gwladys. I can crochet but do very little. I did find some in a search but none seemed to be what you were after.

Do you belong to Ravelry? It's the first place I go to for a knitting pattern these days. Search function and you could perhaps join some specific crochet groups and ask on a forum. Lots of collective knowledge over there.

[ 11. October 2010, 21:08: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You mean a cushion cover made of these?

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Actually those must be adaptable for pentagons and there for you could make a dodecahedron which I think would be really cool as a cushion.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

There's a goodly number of cushion covers and a really cute tiny crocheted pincushion, but none seem to be made as St Gwladys remembered with a series of interlocking rings to start. Most of them were separate hexagons then joined, some picked up the edge of the previous one done.

Just read Jengie's post above. Perhaps some of the Christmas tree decorations of crocheted balls etc could be upsized and I think I've seen a child's ball as well.

[ 11. October 2010, 21:32: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

No, I'm sorry - these were seperate rings - lengths of chain with trebles worked into them and joined, the next length went though the first ring before it was joined, and so on.

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

I 'tidied' (a relative term) the work room yesterday, and took out 2 sacks of fabric and one of yarn that I am clearly never going to use (having failed, in some case, for something over 3 decades).

Besides offcuts/garments for recycling, I discovered several entire lengths of uncut fabric which I must have bought intending to make something (what? when?).

Those apart, what I need are easy stashbuster ideas for the scraps - both fabric and yarn. I've already started on the log basket full of chunky weight with a crochet hook, working an ever-growing square. When I run out of yarn, I will stop. At which point it will be either a rug or a blanket.

DK yarn - not a problem. Will find its way into future woollies.

Linen scraps. Nice fabric, but stiff. Have already made a jacket out of pieces, and a bit doubtful if it would work for anything else, but willing to be convinced otherwise.

Cotton - probably hippy skirts for summer.

Stretchy stuff - dunno.

Silk and silk-alikes - ditto.

I am mainly interested in wearables, as I don't have many niches in the house for wall hangings, quilts etc.

But any ideas welcome.

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How about aprons? there are plenty of free patterns out there, from retro to contemporary. I made a couple recently that took around 1.5 metres (or a yard-and-a-half for a retro one).
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

Would not linen make rather fine bags and I am sure with that much stuff you could do with some of them to store it in.

Jengie

--------------------

Back to my blog

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Jengie Jon:
Would not linen make rather fine bags and I am sure with that much stuff you could do with some of them to store it in.

Jengie

Some of the softer stuff could be lining for bags as well.

Drawstring bags for knitting projects?

I was recently given a small project bag made of some firm fabric and lined with denim. It's in the shape of an upper case "U." However, one side of the U is elongated and slips under the other shorter handle to close the bag. It's perfect for double pointed needles and socks. Holds yarn, project and the other sock if needed for checking length. I can carry it over my arm and knit easily in company or while walking and yarn will not fall on floor.

Such a bag would be a good gift for a crafter of smaller projects.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Flausa:
Found another new project to try - a kanzashi Christmas tree. It's helping me use up odds and ends fabrics and is going to keep me out of trouble for a wee while!

Omigosh, that is *so* *cute*!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have a new loom [Yipee]

Well new to me anyway---it's a 25-30-year-old Glimakra. It is to be delivered Friday. Works fine and the family room has been redesignated.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:

[Big Grin]

How lovely! With apologies to Virgina Woolf, I've always believed one should be entitled to a Loom of One's Own.

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tee hee!

I went to weaving school in Massachusetts for a week early in October and found that weaving on a big floor loom was in many ways much easier than on the rigid-heddle kind. Easier to see the work and easier to thread, just to take two examples...

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Meg the Red:
quote:
Originally posted by Anna B:

[Big Grin]

How lovely! With apologies to Virgina Woolf, I've always believed one should be entitled to a Loom of One's Own.
Hmmm . I've always fancied a loom with a view.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

Illoominate me, O Lord...

No, no. Stop it. Stop.

Meg the Red
Shipmate
# 11838

- Posted      Profile for Meg the Red   Email Meg the Red   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[Big Grin]

--------------------
Chocoholic Canuckistani Cyclopath

Posts: 1126 | From: Rat Creek | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sparrow
Shipmate
# 2458

- Posted      Profile for Sparrow   Email Sparrow   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:

I was recently given a small project bag made of some firm fabric and lined with denim. It's in the shape of an upper case "U." However, one side of the U is elongated and slips under the other shorter handle to close the bag. It's perfect for double pointed needles and socks. Holds yarn, project and the other sock if needed for checking length. I can carry it over my arm and knit easily in company or while walking and yarn will not fall on floor.

You knit while walking ??

[Ultra confused]

--------------------
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life,nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Posts: 3149 | From: Bottom right hand corner of the UK | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
You knit while walking
Well, yes. it's not difficult and the little bag makes holding the wool quite easy.

I don't do it as much as I used to but have heard of knitters using a treadmill and knitting at the same time. I doubt I would do that. I've heard of nasty accidents using treadmills so would probably be paying full attention to the walking.

I think I probably learnt during long hours of playground duty when i was a teacher years ago.

If you mean do I knit without looking at it, the answer is yes. That's very easily done, although I pay attention to lace knitting. The stitches feel different and it's quite easy to tell if your purled a knit stitch or whatever. It just feels wrong.

Edited to remove a couple of stray characters floating around the bottom of the post. Not as obvious to me as knitting a stitch the wrong way.

[ 03. November 2010, 19:10: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  24  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016