homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 28)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The loom's here! I'm just thrilled! [Axe murder]

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's exciting - will we be seeing any photos of it and your work on it?
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know---I'm happy to describe it, though! It's a 160-cm-wide Glimakra Standard with 12 shafts and treadles. Tall and pretty! We're having to move some furniture around, and I am coming to realize just how great a saint my husband is.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
kingsfold

Shipmate
# 1726

- Posted      Profile for kingsfold   Email kingsfold   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I just had to share this....

You can buy cross-stitch patterns for Orthodox ikons! Truly!

Those are fantastic (though I'm not sure I'm up for giving one a go!)

Posts: 4473 | From: land of the wee midgie | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Those are beautiful, Kingsfold, although I think they might be a bit more detailed than I could do.
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm wondering how detailed they are - they're on 14 count and measure 12x15". I've been trying to work out which is the simplest!

--------------------
"I say - are you a matelot?"
"Careful what you say sir, we're on board ship here"
From "New York Girls", Steeleye Span, Commoners Crown (Voiced by Peter Sellers)

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

- Posted      Profile for St. Gwladys   Email St. Gwladys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are some interesting things on that website, but I've just calculated the postage, and that's put me right off!

--------------------

Posts: 3333 | From: Rhymney Valley, South Wales | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The crystal nativity in the right hand sidebar is lovely.

I enjoy crosstitch and other embroidery too but find knitting is better with poor eyesight. I need to do cross stitch outside in bright light and with a coarse Aida or linen fabric so I can see where I'm supposed to be working.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I actually had the ikon with the angel with the cross and the angel with the spear as a cross stitch painted canvas. I thought it looked clumsy stitched on Penelope canvas, so i gave it away.

There used to be a school websute that has Orthodax patterns to X stitch, but I can't remember what it was.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am this close to finishing working all my chunky-weight stash into a blanket/throw. Just measured it - 9ft x 9ft.

Now to start on the double-knit basket... (Actually, there I think I'm going for a succession of waistcoats).

[ 20. November 2010, 20:41: Message edited by: Firenze ]

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've just bought a round, pale green tablecloth at the Cat's Protection League fair - I saw a pattern on the internet somewhere to make it into a blouse with angel sleeves - very simple, apparently.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

quote:
Originally posted by Lothlorien:
The crystal nativity in the right hand sidebar is lovely.

I loved the jewelled blue and silver nativity ornament, and there are a few people I could imagine giving it to. Is there anywhere you can get them in this country?

--------------------

North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm not particularly crafty, but several years ago I bought an offcut of my maiden name tartan for £4.00. It measures 80 inches x 16 inches. I'm wondering what I could do with it, other than hem it and use it as a scarf. Perhaps something Christmassy for my mother and/ or sis-in-law?

Suggestions?

Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Pincushions.

Tea cosies.

Hot-water bottle covers.

Not terribly large scatter cushions.

Work bag (with something like these).

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like the bags. Mum and sis-in-law both have very tidy, very co-ordinated houses - scatter cushions or tea cosies wouldn't be appreciated.

And we already have enough cushions to scatter and some splendid tea cosies, 'cos I hate seeing handmade stuff left at the end of a church sale. As of tomorrow we'll be using an excellent one knitted to look like a Christmas pudding!

The ongoing clear-out today has also produced a piece of glazed cotton, 78in x 48 in, left over from curtains I made 17 years ago. I think I bought extra curtain material intending to make cushions. 17 years is long enough to hold onto an off-cut - but what to do with it? I don't think a charity shop would particularly want it.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I finished a pair of socks on my Knatty Knitter.
Well, 'pair' is a loose description - one is rather larger than the other. Good job they're only going in my wellies.
Next I'm trying out the triloom I bought at Wonderwool this year.

--------------------

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Third question. In my teens I bought a georgeous hand made pure silk 1950s dress with yards of skirt. It buttoned down the front with self-covered buttons.

Alas! my idea of "vintage" was my mother's idea of "second-hand- might-have-fleas- somebody-might-have-died-in-that" and she got hold of it and gave it a good scrub which destroyed it. However, I still have the yards of silk it was made with, and the buttons. Suggestions? It's cream with a pattern of small olive and magenta spots.

St. Gwladys
Shipmate
# 14504

I've been buying Inside Crochet magazine over the last few months, and there was a pattern for a scarf with a hood in the last one. I've found a gorgeous wool - KingCole Riot - and have started making it. The only thing is that I'm not sure the pattern is right - going by the tension details, the scarf part would only measure about 40" max, and the dimensions given state 60"+. I'm going to have to adjust the pattern, I think. Mind, I had to do that with another scarf pattern in the last edition in order to make it look right.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

The triloom is going well, but the yarn I'm using is way too thin. So I have a cunning plan - I have a bag full of little short bits of wool and I'm going to weave them into the cloth on the loom to make something quirky and interesting - and warmer.
I did this a couple of years ago with a plain knit shawl, using the thin yarn as a carrier and knitting each stitch with carrier and short bit together, leaving two or three inch ends dangling. It looks great, and it's warm.

--------------------

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Here's my public service announcement for December 2010.

The Drops designs Advent Calendar can be found here. This is in what they call British English. There was another link for American English.

One pattern a day. Yesterday's was an aviator style Santa baby hat which I didn't save as I have one. Today's is a crochet Santa with big white beard.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I tried making an angel wing blouse out of a round tablecloth this morning, and it all bunched up under the arms. Back to the drawing board. Lucky I only paid £2 for the tablecloth.

--------------------

Coffee Cup
Shipmate
# 13506

- Posted      Profile for Coffee Cup   Email Coffee Cup   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Here's my public service announcement for December 2010.

The Drops designs Advent Calendar can be found here. This is in what they call British English. There was another link for American English.

One pattern a day. Yesterday's was an aviator style Santa baby hat which I didn't save as I have one. Today's is a crochet Santa with big white beard.

Thanks for the festive PSA! Unhappily I can't seem to get the link to work - my internet browser is being generally stubborn today, so I'm not sure if anyone else will have a problem with it...
Posts: 66 | From: UK | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Hi Coffee Cup. love the name. I've just had my coffee for Friday morning.

I tried the link from within my post and it works fine for me. Google for Drops and Advent calendar and see if you can get in that way. There are two sites for American and British English once you have set the language to English.

Garn (Drops) have thousands of free patterns. Just needs a bit of substituting yarn and checking tension to see what works for you.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Earlier in the week I sent off two packages of charity knitting: A watch cap and matching scarf for the Seaman's Church Institute's "Christmas at Sea" project, and a very long wooly scarf for Grace Church - Chicago's (in Chicago's South Loop) "SoulScarves" project. Grace is going to display in their sanctuary any donated scarves in Advent colors. Mine's a very deep burgundy color, so I hope it makes the cut.

[ 03. December 2010, 15:29: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

I've just been tidying up my stash cupboard and came across five squares of crazy patchwork that I was intending to make cushions out of - fifteen years ago! So that's what I'll be doing tomorrow. I have the backing material all ready to go.

--------------------

ErinBear
Shipmate
# 13173

- Posted      Profile for ErinBear   Email ErinBear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mamacita, I crocheted a scarf for the Seamen's Church Institute also! That's wonderful.

I am busy as I continue to crochet various gifts for friends. I am making a lot of matching potholders and dishcloths this year. Also scarves, and I've just crocheted my first warm woolen cap, which was lots of fun. But the newest exciting project...cat toys, filled with catnip, which also turns out to be a great way to use small amounts of leftover yarn! Hooray! The cats I know will be happy too.

Blessings,
ErinBear

Posts: 2441 | From: California, USA | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Determined not to have any left-over yarn, I have completely finished up the 200g that I bought to make a hat and gloves, not realising it would be enough for socks and a scarf, making a complete set as a Christmas present for a friend currently snowed in. I am tempted to send it to her early, but I think they will get to her just as a thaw begins.... or she will be really disciplined and not open until The Day. No doubt there will be more cold days for her to enjoy being toasty warm.
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
Determined not to have any left-over yarn, I have completely finished up the 200g that I bought to make a hat and gloves, not realising it would be enough for socks and a scarf, making a complete set as a Christmas present for a friend currently snowed in. I am tempted to send it to her early, but I think they will get to her just as a thaw begins.... or she will be really disciplined and not open until The Day. No doubt there will be more cold days for her to enjoy being toasty warm.

Leftover yarn? Tell me about it, including lots of sockwool, more than enough for darning but not enough for anything else.

For years I've been a member of a yahoo group, Six_Sock_Knitalong which posts a new design every two months. I've done lots but none this year. December's sock uses leftovers and has a cuff, knitted flat, then joined, of mitred squares of self striping yarn. Sock then picks up one of the colours and continues as normal.

I think I might do these after I've sorted out all the little bits and pieces of sock wool I have. I can see heels and toes in same colour as one of the squares or possibly even some stripes.

You can see a picture in link above but you need to join the group to get the pattern which will be under the label "files."

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
You could also make a sock yarn blanket! They are very effective and a nice way to remember all the different socks you have knit over the years.

This is the original sock blanket, if you look on Ravelry you will see that there are now loads of imitations. This is another rather impressive example.

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
For anyone with spare baby wool... and inclination to do something with it...

[ 04. December 2010, 19:32: Message edited by: Ferijen ]

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
You could also make a sock yarn blanket! They are very effective and a nice way to remember all the different socks you have knit over the years.

This is the original sock blanket, if you look on Ravelry you will see that there are now loads of imitations. This is another rather impressive example.

I've seen the mitred sock blanket before and admired it. I've also seen the blanket with dozens and dozens of little fish all sewn together, Looks great but i'm not doing that. When I move and sort my wool I'll discover how much leftover sock I really do have. At the moment that could be months away so I'm thinking of using up the bits I've accumulated here in my room in the last eighteen months.

I made a pi shawl from Elizabeth Zimmermann's ideas a couple of years ago. I used some 12 ply which I couldn't see being used any other way. It covers my current bed, a double size.

Ferijen, I give a lot of knitting to charity and would do something like that for an Aussie charity which also takes tiny gowns and bonnets for premie funerals.

Postage from down here to Britain or USA is already exorbitantly expensive and Australia Post has just hit us with a $9 surcharge on parcels over 435 gm for security screening.

[ 04. December 2010, 20:44: Message edited by: Lothlorien ]

--------------------

Little Miss Methodist

Ship's Diplomat
# 1000

- Posted      Profile for Little Miss Methodist   Author's homepage   Email Little Miss Methodist   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Little Miss Methodist:
You could also make a sock yarn blanket!

I've seen the mitred sock blanket before and admired it. I've also seen the blanket with dozens and dozens of little fish all sewn together, Looks great but i'm not doing that.
Oh, i'm totally with you! I often can't get it together enough to knit on the socks, let alone the left over yarn! There is no way on earth I will ever have the patience or ambition to knit something like that. I take my hat off to the people who do it but it is not for me.

I'm lucky if I knit at all at the moment, though I have been teaching ladies at my church to knit recently and we now meet once a month for knitting lessons / chat sessions and they are making squares for blankets for a charity we support, so thats good. They areall getting enthusiastic and talking about making their own scarves etc, so I think I may have converted 8 or so people to knitting.

--------------------
Tell me where you learned the magic,
The spell you used the day you made me fall....

Posts: 1628 | From: Caretaker of the Overlook Hotel | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Angel Wrestler
Ship's Hipster
# 13673

- Posted      Profile for Angel Wrestler     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
SEWERS: does anyone know the technique for turning a sewn string right side out. I mean those kinds of thin, tubular pieces that are used as strings as ties. There is a way to do it very easily by pinning an end and feeding one end into the other opening - but the way I'm picturing it (it's been a long time since I've made one of these) just goes nowhere.

I'm making pajama bottoms for everyone this year and Little Angel #2 wants a drawstring tie rather than an elastic waist.

I'm making all but a couple Christmas gifts this year and it sure is nice to get back into it! It's been a long time.

Posts: 2767 | From: half-way up the ladder | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Drifting Star

Drifting against the wind
# 12799

- Posted      Profile for Drifting Star   Email Drifting Star   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Attach strong thread to one end, thread it through a bodkin, tie the ends of the thread together so that it forms a loop. Then take the bodkin down through the string. I hope that makes sense - it's strangely difficult to put into words!

If the string is wide enough you can do this with a fine knitting needle and the thread tied around the top of it - it's easier with something longer.

--------------------
The soul is dyed the color of its thoughts. Heraclitus

Posts: 3126 | From: A thin place. | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

Ferijen, as someone who has been on the receiving end, these tiny gowns and bonnets are very much appreciated.

To everyone who knits these- THANK YOU!

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  25  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016