homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
I put this on my needle a stitch or two from the end. That way I'm forced to notice it as I slip the ring, which reminds me to change it.

Autenrieth, I do like this idea - I must give it a go - it'll help peserve my patterns if it works [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like it too - I've been getting rather tired of counting rows, I think my short term memory is appaling!

BB - thanks for the help. Now to buy the wool! I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get going... [Biased]

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OMG, Ena you're like me: analyze a pattern to its smallest detail before touching fingers to needle or thread!

Case in point of mathematical mind run amok: I had been considering at one point learning to weave. But after reading several weaving books, I'm happy knowing the theory of how the patterns are achieved, and have no need to actually set warp to woof (or whatever weavers do).

The last few days the lights have suddenly gone on for me about crochet. (1000 crochet chains to border my afghan did the trick). So now I want to do a swatch exploring all the variants of "how many YOs before the insert/pullthrough, and how many stitches to work off at a time, etc. etc." Cause there's a lot more than just the ones my book lists to start with.

Part of my crochet lightbulb was realizing that a chain stitch is not the same as a single crochet. (Mathematical mind that sometimes misses the bleeding obvious for years at a time, [Roll Eyes] ).

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Odd how knitting can be totally different things to different people.

For my part, I have just invented a take which I think of as Controlled Randomized knitting. Having decided I wanted to do a jumper based on a painting, I also realised I could not be faffed doing all the squinny-eyed mapping out on to graph paper of the image. I had my yarns, I wanted to get going, so I did.

While keeping the architecture of the painting - that of a stand of birch in the foreground, with a lake, further shore and sky in the background - I made up balls of yarn of varying lengths of different colours. My green, brown, navy for the ground, fawn and white with touches of blue and brown for the birches, fawn tweed and russet for the rock, russet, brown and navy for the foliage, blue for the water, dark blue tweed for the distant woods, bright blue for the sky.

Obviously, the palette is much narrower than the painting's: these just happened to be what I have. Likewise, the shapes are simplified, and the representation approximate.

Nevertheless, it is fast and fun, and I do think it will be recognisably based on the original Tom Thompson when done.

I am already thinking ahead to how I could refine the technique.

I think I may have found my knitting nirvana.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Firenze, this sounds fascinating. You will post a photo when you've finished it, won't you?

This morning I was going through my Grandma's bag of Knitting Goodies looking for her stitch counter when I found her well used knitting booklet published by Patons & Baldwins, probably around the late 1920's/early 1930's - this date is based on when my Dad was born (1930) because I recognised some of the baby clothes that ended up dressing our larger-than-life china baby doll that we played with at my Grandma's.

I remember how fascinated I was as a child by the garments that my Grandma would possibly have knitted (the sock section is looking well used) and that we now take for granted that we can go to M&S to get (especially vests & knickers) and also items that I'd never heard outside of this booklet (Baby's Body Belt, Knee Caps, Lady's Sleeping Vest). There is a good selection of sock patterns in the booklet which I can see myself trying out - although I think I'll give the stockings a miss [Big Grin]

Looking at it now it makes me realise what a difference it makes to live in a warm centrally heated house [Smile] and be very grateful for it (oh, and global warming too, I guess).

I wonder what (if anything) our descendants will be fascinated by when they go through our bags of Knitting Goodies.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:
items that I'd never heard outside of this booklet (Baby's Body Belt, Knee Caps, Lady's Sleeping Vest).

Did that include a 'pilch' by any chance? (Possibly item 'D' in that booklet)
That was one of the first items I knitted at school, as my Auntie was expecting a baby.
Back in the days when babies wore terry-towelling square nappies and baggy plastic pants, they wore these woolly knickers, called a pilch, over the top.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Item K is Pilch Knickers.

What do you think the Baby's Body Belt (Item I) is for?

--------------------
Truth

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Item K is Pilch Knickers.

What do you think the Baby's Body Belt (Item I) is for?

I suspect that it is to cover the binding over the navel. Possibly intended to prevent an umbilical hernia. (A little before my time, I think)

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
[Stitched up the code -- Mamacita, Heaven Host]

What was wrong with it?
If I remember correctly, you omitted one of the slashes on the UBB code at the end of the quotation, and the incomplete code was left showing. At any rate, no criticism was implied; I was just tidying up.

Mamacita,
Heavenly Host

[ 16. February 2007, 22:34: Message edited by: Mamacita ]

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Possibly a silly question, but there you go...

I am reaching the end of my blanket made of squares, which I am sewing together. However, due to poor knitting, and inaccurate measuring of squares the outside edge is very wavy and messy. So I thought I would knit a border to go round the outside. Can I somehow cast on (say) 5 stitches, and knit the row and somehow join it onto the blanket (knit 2 stitches together?)as I go along, or will I have to knit the long strip of border and then sew it onto and around the blanket?

In your reply, please remember I am a novice knitter who struggles with technical terms.

Ta!

[ 17. February 2007, 09:13: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I've started doing all my cables without the cable needle. YOu know, the whole "slip it to the other needle, knit/purl as needed, slip it back" thing. One friend thinks I'm a sadomasochist for doing this,. But it seems so much easier than using the needle. Does anyone else have experience with this?

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
Possibly a silly question, but there you go...

I am reaching the end of my blanket made of squares, which I am sewing together. However, due to poor knitting, and inaccurate measuring of squares the outside edge is very wavy and messy. So I thought I would knit a border to go round the outside. Can I somehow cast on (say) 5 stitches, and knit the row and somehow join it onto the blanket (knit 2 stitches together?)as I go along, or will I have to knit the long strip of border and then sew it onto and around the blanket?

In your reply, please remember I am a novice knitter who struggles with technical terms.

Ta!

I dont know if this helps (also novice knitter!!!( but in my magazine thign im following hteres a throw with a thick piece of ribbon sewn in around the edge... which i thought might be a good idea if iend up in the same situation as you!
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There are many many ways to tidy up wavy edges. I like Emma's suggestion about using ribbon to edge a blanket. It would be especially lovely for a baby.

You could put on a border with crochet.

Another edging is to pick up stitches along one side, this will probably be a huge number of stitches. Then knit a plain or decorative border.

You can knit a 5 st border and then sew it on. Or you could cast on 5 st, knit 4 stitches, slip 1, pick up a stitch from the blanket and pass the slip stitch over. This keeps the number of stitches the same across the border.

Some ideas for fancy borders can be found at Knitting Pattern Central.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm just starting yet another hat (I find them very satisfying). It's using cables and this is the first time I've ever cabled.

Are you always supposed to start the cable pattern on the wrong side? It's just that my pattern didn't specify and now I'm finding that the cable pattern is forming on the wrong side. I'm not sure whether I can do anything to rectify it short of adding in another row before the decreases, as I'm now quite a few rows in and don't really want to rip it all out. Pattern here.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hat: I've only ever done cable on a chart, so it is hard to tell whether or not your cables should come up on the wrong side. But if it all comes up backwards, since you have to sew it up at the end, just turn it inside out and you'd be fine, I think. The other alternative really is to rip those stitches out. It is better to drive yourself mental now and rip them out to re-do them again, than to finish the project and never wear it because you know where the flaws are and couldn't be bothered to fix them now.

Uneven ends:
When you reach the end of a finished project, things are often uneven or wavy. Frequently, good blocking is the answer. There is a much better explanation of blocking than I can possibly give here on knitty.com. But I will say this - once blocked, you could be surprised at how well your knitting project has turned out.

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

It's many years since I did cable, so my opinion may not be reliable.

On a piece of knitwear, such as an arran-style sweater, the pieces of unadorned knitting on either side of the cable are in reverse stocking stitch. That is, the 'right' side of the garment looks like the wrong side of a stocking stitch one, and the smooth, stocking stitch side is on the inner surface. (This is so difficult to explain without a pice of knitting to show you)

The question is, when you say the 'wrong' side, do you mean the side that looks like the wrong side, or the side that actually is the wrong side [Confused]

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Can I post here? I got a bug in my ear for making bead jewelry, and have turned out my first two pairs of earrings. I wonder if anybody else here does this stuff, and if you have any tips or anything? I hope it's okay to post a link to a pic of my creations.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Kentishmaid: here's a great hat with cables too.

You knit the cabled band first and then join it and pick up the stitches on the wrong side so cabled band folds back against hat. Picking up stitches is not really difficult. I don't know if you've done that before. Divide the band into quarters and mark with pins and pick up a quarter of total number of stitches from each section.

The yarn they call for is heavier than 8 ply (DK) but not as thick as 12 ply wool. You could probably get away with DK on a smaller needle.

Another good hat is Grumperina's Odessa hat with or without beads.

Mousethief: I think beadwork is lovely but I'm not skilled that way. #2 DIL does beautiful stuff and has even started actually making her own glass beads.

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mousethief, well done. They look good. My Mam made earrings a few years back and sold them. She raised quite a bit of money for charity doing that.

If you have any friends or family who enjoy knitting you could adapt the method of making earring slightly and instead of using the hook that goes in the ear, finish the dangly bit off with a circle. These could then be used as stitch markers.

I didn't mean to channel this back into knitting, but wanted to give an idea of something else you could do.

I have made an adaptation to the hat that Lothlorien linked to. I used Twilleys Freedom Wool and 10mm needles. But the construction of the hat is so simple that you could use any yarn weight you fancy, and choose any Aran pattern that you want. Something that comes out at 10cm of knitting works well.

Measure around the person's head and then subtract 2-3cm from that and knit the Aran pattern to that length. Join at the back, (3 needle bind off, graft, or sew a seam). Have the band inside out and pick up 2 stitches out of 3 and start making the crown.

I also took the adapted pattern and made two repeats side by side and used that to make a matching scarf. This has resulted in a very warm winter set.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Nice earrings MT - I wonder how soon it is before you start hunting around junk shops for broken necklaces that contain intertesting beads for earrings.

[edited for spelling]

[ 18. February 2007, 08:05: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow MT - therye fabby. Is it a hard hobby to do? They look fantastic. I particularly like the ones on the right (and would wear those!)
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Roseofsharon, I mean it actually is on the wrong side, because the tail from my casting on is at the right hand side of the knitting.

I think I'm just going to sew it up inside out and hope for the best!

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thanks for the advice - I may go for the ribbon option - although my handsewing leaves much to be desired as well, & I don't have a sewing machine. I asked Mr D if , if he was a baby, would he prefer a piece of newspaper or my not very tidy blanket. "The blanket" he said. And then added "Probably." How encouraging!

Love the earings MT. If you do Pashal Penguin and you get me, I'd be thrilled to receive some handmade earings.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I've just finished knitting this shawl but the result is nowhere near as effective as the photo on the pattern [Frown] which is a shame since I've spent so many hours on it. I think the problem with my shawl is that I used sock (4 ply) yarn which had colour changes too close together (not long enough in one colour).

I like the effect of the pattern (you can see it in this closeup), the way that the pattern flows and waves, and the edging is very pretty. So after I finish my next project (knitting binary into a couple of items [Smile] ) I shall look in a shop for some DK that has longer lengths of each colour before changing to the next.

kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

That hat looks lovely, Lothlorien. Although, it does have the scary dpns/circular needles so will have to work up to it.

Love the earrings MT! May have to persuade my (very arty) sister to take up that hobby.

Thanks all for the advice, too. I adore this thread!

--------------------

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

What are blocking wires? The pattern for the shawl I've knitted says that I need to wash it and then use blocking wires along the top edge (which is certainly not as straight as it could be)
Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The earrings are very cool! I've made earrings of that sort before Emma and it's pretty much as easy or complicated as you want it to be. You can usually get the wires, beads and fittings in craft shops or sometimes the haberdashery in department stores. I gave away most of my bits and bobs when we moved house though.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
chukovsky

Ship's toddler
# 116

- Posted      Profile for chukovsky   Author's homepage   Email chukovsky   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by kentishmaid:
Roseofsharon, I mean it actually is on the wrong side, because the tail from my casting on is at the right hand side of the knitting.

From the picture and the pattern, they seem to intend the background to be in reverse stockinette, i.e. the purl will be on the outside, and the cables to be in stockinette, i.e. the knit on the outside. Normally I'd expect such a cable pattern to have the cable parts on the outside, and I'd expect the pattern part to start with a cabled row.

This pattern seems to have four stitches together that aren't cabled, followed by 8 that are cabled. The stitches that aren't cabled are purled on the cable row, which makes sense from normal cabled patterns - the parts that aren't cabled are in reverse stockinette. However the pattern starts with a row where the stitches that aren't going to be cabled (the 4 stitches) are knit and the stitches that are going to be cabled (the 8 stitches) are purled. So the problem is not that they have told you to cable while you are on the wrong side, but that for some bizarre reason they have started the pattern with a WS row, but haven't told you this.

When you have finished you should have plain reverse stockinette (no cables, looks like purl) on the right side alternating with the knitted cable sections. You'll want it that side out or it will look odd.

I'd never knit a hat on 2 needles... far too much bother, and the ridge would be itchy...

ETA they say to use a double-pointed needle for the cable. Unless they don't know the difference between a DPN and a cable needle, I'm not sure why - it is much easier to use a short cable needle than a long, clumsy DPN to do cables.

[ 21. February 2007, 12:50: Message edited by: chukovsky ]

--------------------
This space left intentionally blank. Do not write on both sides of the paper at once.

Posts: 6842 | From: somewhere else | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

Ah, ok, so it's not just me being dim, then!

The other two hats I've made have been two-needlers and I've had no ridge induced itching! Perhaps I'm thick skinned or something!

I've been using a little kinked cable needle. I've seen straight cable needles, but I'm absolutely paranoid that the stitches would fall off, so I prefer the kinked one.

Thank you!

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
What are blocking wires? The pattern for the shawl I've knitted says that I need to wash it and then use blocking wires along the top edge (which is certainly not as straight as it could be)

Wires (scroll to the bottom) that can be used instead of pins to hold an edge straight, while blocking the piece.

This blog entry on blocking is fun, illustrated, and mentions blocking wires, with a link to a source for them in the comments.

--------------------
Truth

altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

For the record, I'd like to state the case for circular needles. They're exactly the same as straight needles, except that they're better if want to knit something circular, such as a sock, sleeve, hat or I don't know, a circle. Or you can use them just like straight needles if you want to.

The only thing you need to fear is that if you are knitting something in a circle, when you join up the stitches just make sure that nothing is twisted (easy to do, but also easy to prevent), otherwise you wind up with a wild mobius loop of insanity.

double points are the same effect, just better suited for very small circles (baby socks, other things.) You can do very big things on them if you like. I personally find them a bit of a pain, but that's just because I really enjoy the whole whee nothing's going to stop me now effect of circulars. DPs do a great job, but you have to take that wee bit longer.

Go for it. If you can knit, you can use either circular or DPs. They're not scary at all!

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

quote:
Originally posted by altarbird:
The only thing you need to fear is that if you are knitting something in a circle, when you join up the stitches just make sure that nothing is twisted (easy to do, but also easy to prevent), otherwise you wind up with a wild mobius loop of insanity.

Awesome, it's that easy to knit a Möbius strip? Klein bottle, here I come!

--------------------
Truth

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
quote:

Wires (scroll to the bottom) that can be used instead of pins to hold an edge straight, while blocking the piece.

This blog entry on blocking is fun, illustrated, and mentions blocking wires, with a link to a source for them in the comments.

Thanks AR - I've now found a UK source for blocking wires and they come in lengths of 12 inches (4 of these), 22 inches (x 4) and 34 inches (x 8). As the edge of the shawl should be 72 inches would I join 2 of the longer blocking wires together to get this length?
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Someone else will have to answer; I only know what I've learned from Google, and haven't found very much that describes using them.

This, from Knitter's Review forums, says a tiny bit.

This, from knitty.com, doesn't mention blocking wires, but is of interest to me because I am about to, for the very first time in 15 years of on-and-off knitting, ta-da -- block something!

[ 21. February 2007, 15:05: Message edited by: Autenrieth Road ]

--------------------
Truth

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

In case novices are reading this thread, but don't read all of the linked item on 'blocking' in AR's post.

Do not put a hot iron anywhere near anything knitted with man-made yarns. You'll kill it stone dead. Flat, lifeless, squished.

Wet/wash pieces, squeeze excess water out with towels, pin the pieces into shape on a flat surface, dry away from direct heat.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Awesome, it's that easy to knit a Möbius strip?

Not quite. If you aren't into mathematical knitting please skip.

If your knitting is twisted through 360 degrees then you will get a two sided, two edge loop with a twist. It seems that some people who name knitting patterns don't know that a Möbius strip has one side and one edge.

To make a Möbius strip need to need to twist the stitches by 180 degrees and knit into the bottom of the stitches. A while back I made about 10 Möbius scarves.

Möbius scarf for an adult

Using DK yarn on circular 4mm needles, cast on 200st.
Get all the stitches nice and straight, with no twists. Then knit into the bottom of the first stitch you cast on, this will put a half twist in the knitting. This may well be rather tight to start with, but it will loosen off.

After you have knitted into the bottom of the 200 sts start knitting into the top stitches. At this stage you will have 400sts. The cast on 'edge' is in the middle now and you will have just the one side. Now, just keep knitting, and knitting, and knitting.

You can add in other colours as you like. I made my Möbius scarves in rainbow colours starting with red in the middle.

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Thanks, babybear! As a mathematician-by-training, I would never make the 360° mistake [Big Grin] .

The Möbius band is overtaking the multidirectional scarf in my "what do I knit next?" planning -- because I can't decide if what I was thinking about how to do it matches up with your description, and if not, if my naive idea would work anyway also -- so now I want to knit two!

Plus try out two different ways of approaching a self-designed knit Klein bottle.

Ooops, is it showing that I'm into mathematical knitting [Ultra confused] [Biased] .

--------------------
Truth

daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Blocking wires are now ordered - I'll let you know how I get on with them [Smile]
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
AR

Knitting Klein bottles is a very old tradition they were doing it back in the 1980s and here is a pattern from 1994.

Prof suggested that the fourth dimension could be represented by colour.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a very novice knitter - I can only knit in straight lines (have now finished the basketweave pattern and I'm now onto a diamond pattern - both baby blankets) but I've just started using circular needles in a "straight needle" sort of way. Its so much easier, I found, after the initial half an hour of "but I don't need to put it under my arm".

What I don't quite get is how knitting on circular needles will produce much "useful" pieces than knitting - surely there's a limit in the circumference, and it will be far too big for socks? And if its all in a circle, won't it be a bit shapeless for a jumper or something?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
While you can use circular needles to knit in a circle, I tend to use them for very wide pieces - eg knitting a side-to-side cardigan or jumper (where you start at one cuff, knit the arm, increase for the body, decrease again for the opposite arm).

They are also useful for putting a rib or border on a straight-knit piece - again, because you can get 4 or 5 hundred stitches on a single row.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
What I don't quite get is how knitting on circular needles will produce much "useful" pieces than knitting - surely there's a limit in the circumference, and it will be far too big for socks? And if its all in a circle, won't it be a bit shapeless for a jumper or something?

The first time I knitted on circular needles was for an Icelandic jumper a little bit like this one. It took me a little while to get the hang of it, but now I use the circular needles whenever I have a wide bit of knitting, because it means there is less weight on one needle.
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

The shape or shapelessness of a jumper (sweater) doesn't have anything to do with if it's knit circular or flat, and everything to do with the shaping knit into it, and if needed the blocking.

However, yes, there is a minimum circumference below which circular needles are not useful for knitting in the round.

--------------------
Truth

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:

Good questions.

Normally when knitting with a circular needle the minimum circumference of the knitting will be about 3-5cm more than the length of the circ needle. If you don't do that then your will be constantly struggling to knit and the stitches will becomes distorted.

However, apart from dpns, there are two techniques, magic loop and two circs that solve that problem. Or you can buy mini-circs that are designed for socks. I love the two circs method, but made a mistake when ordering 3.5mm circs for some new DK socks. I bought tiny circs, 30cm in length, and am enjoying using those.

For large circumference knitting you can buy longer circular needles, or you buy a set like Denise Interchangeable Needles. They work on a twist and click system. You select a cord that is the right length for your work (or connect cords together) and then add the needle tips. I use these needles a great, great deal.

When making sweaters on circs you can introduce any shaping you fancy. As long as the smallest circumference of your knitting is more than the length of the circ you will be fine. An example might be that you want to make a very fitted t-shirt style top. The measurement for the hips and bust is say 100cm/40", but the waist is 75cm/30". You would select your circ length based on the smaller number, 75cm/30". One of the standard sizes for circs is 60cm/24", so that would be the best choice for this particular garment. You would not have any problems fitting an extra 25cm/10" worth of stitches onto a 60cm/24" circ.

The long circs are fantastic for lace knitting on the flat. The length of the circ is far better suited to the huge numbers of stitches that knitted lace can have than a pair of straight needles.

babybear
# 34

I have a pair of earrings that are rather old. The silver coating on the fixings has long rubbed off and then are looking decidedly ropey. I have all the bits needed to make new earrings using the old beads, but I don't have the tools.

Is there anyone who might be able to assemble the earrings for me?

Many thanks.

Keren-Happuch

Ship's Eyeshadow
# 9818

- Posted      Profile for Keren-Happuch   Author's homepage   Email Keren-Happuch   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I could do that for you babybear, if you can send the bits in the post. PM me for the address.

--------------------
Travesty, treachery, betrayal!
EXCESS - The Art of Treason
Nea Fox

Posts: 2407 | From: A Fine City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

That would be great. Many thanks.
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
All things crafty? -- how about papier-mache? It's great drying weather here now, and it's a craft which (if you use old newspaper) is as cheap as chips, and can be as sophisticated as the crafter wants to make it. I'm particularly proud of a little table I've made, but not decorated yet. (Knitting will happen in the winter...)
Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by bush baptist:
I'm particularly proud of a little table I've made, but not decorated yet.

I didn't realise papier mache could be strong enough for furniture. How do you do that, Bush Baby?

[ 25. February 2007, 09:48: Message edited by: daisydaisy ]

bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Papier-mache can definitely be strong enough for furniture, and in the nineteenth century there was a vogue for furniture made of papier-mache alone, and even a papier-mache church, I think, in the Netherlands somewhere. There's an inspirational website at www.papiermache.co.uk which tells all about it.
But mine is cheating, a bit, because I used an internal armature of corrugated cardboard (beer cartons). I used two identical cartons set longways up, to cut two three-sided open pieces, then wrenched them open to 120 degrees and taped them together to make a six-sided object. Then I cut tall arches in each side, to make legs, as columns to the arches. The arch shape makes it stronger, more load-bearing. Then I covered the whole thing with the usual strips of newspaper and paste, and plan to paint it in vaguely Moorish fashion, to go with the tall arches. It's now stable and sturdy for a little table.
Even so, I wouldn't want anyone adult to sit on it, but it's well up to a couple of cups of tea and plate or two of scones. I feel very chuffed with myself, as if I designed it myself, but I can see it's such a simple idea that probably primary schools everywhere are doing it already.
I'd love to post a photo of it, if you'd like to see it and if I can figure out how.

Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016