homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty (Page 8)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  26  27  28 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: Knitting and all things crafty
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Your table sounds brilliant! I'd love to see a photo - both before & after painting if possible.

(If you're looking for somewhere to post photos you might be interested in this - after you sign up, you upload your photo, then click on it to get the image and use the URL to put into the URL code in your posting here.)

Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oh, terrific! That someone wants to seee it! I'll explore more about how in the next week -- but right now, I'm about to crash. (It's gone ten-thirty, and it's been a long day.) Thank you so much for the guidance re: photos.
Posts: 1784 | From: drought-stricken land | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bush baptist:
All things crafty? -- how about papier-mache? It's great drying weather here now, and it's a craft which (if you use old newspaper) is as cheap as chips, and can be as sophisticated as the crafter wants to make it. I'm particularly proud of a little table I've made, but not decorated yet. (Knitting will happen in the winter...)

This sounds great. [Cool] I have been trying to get the Little Fundie interested in this art in a sort of lackadaisical way. Maybe when we see the picture of your table we will be inspired and LF will want to make some doll furniture.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That table sounds really cool! I did some papier mache at primary school, but nothing since. I seem to remember enjoying it a lot.

I completed my cable hat this weekend. It fits and looks ok, so I'm quite chuffed. (Sewing it up inside out appears to have done the trick, but I'm going to mark my pattern for future reference). Thank you everyone for all your help.

Just started a jacket for my new niece (who will probably be here a good deal earlier than expected owing to my sister getting pre-eclampsia again). It's from the fabby 'Knitting without tears' by Elizabeth Zimmermann. I'm finding it a very empowering book and would definitely recommend it to my fellow novice knitters. The only slightly intimidating things are the fact that I will have to pick up and knit stitches for the sleeves (which I've never done before) and put a zip in - an equally novel experience.

I've found lots of people recommending the Barbara Walker Treaasury of Knitting Pattern series. Do people here generally second those recommendations? I've been looking on Amazon, but the cheapest I can get them is £30 so I need to know that it's worth it (or will probably just continue my weekly charity shop trawl).

[ 26. February 2007, 12:09: Message edited by: kentishmaid ]

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Oooh the papier mache thing sounda fab.....

I used to love that at school ( it hink all we did was decorate balloons for some reason though...!)

Id love to make a little side table, and often make "thigns" out of cardboard (my shelves in school that are in the cupboard are reused boxes etc) but usually where they are not on display and not load bearing.

Id be really interested in a side table - were tea drinkers with nowhere to put tea currently... and it would be so fab to say id made it.

Id love to see the picture? Does it end up all bubbly? HAve you literally "just" made a frame from cardboard and put paper and walpaper paste mixture on it repeatedly... or is there a more finer art.....? And and and!!! HAve you done lots of papier mache? Do you have other pictures....

[Big Grin]

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
Bear faced and cheeky with it
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
How do you get papier mache smooth? I have never managed to get a crinkle-free surface and it bugs me.
Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

- Posted      Profile for bush baptist     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, after some angst, and with help, here's some table photos, and also a dog, which was the first papier-mache I ever did, last summer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bush_baptist/
I had already painted it with the undercoat, so I can't show it in the raw newspaper stage, but I've put in two pictures of the framework after it was taped together. Also, I later added a shelf, putting in supports in the angles of the legs. The next plan is to paint it dark blue, and decorate it with silver stars and Moorish scrollwork, but this won't happen speedily, because I haven't even got the paint yet.
About getting the papier-mache-smooth -- Are you using the strips of paper, or pulp? With pulp, I've gone with enjoying the texture it is, and made a fruitbowl I like, but the website I gave earlier (www.papiermache.co.uk) suggests sandpaper, and talks about skilled people making things with porcelain-like finishes. With paper strips, I've just smoothed it as I've pasted it -- very tactile! -- and in extremes, ripped off offending bits after it's dried and repasted over the top.
I hope the link works. I'd love to hear about any papier-mache you-all get into.

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nice work, bush baptist!

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Thank you, Mamacita!
And for Emma -- I didn't use wallpaper paste, I used boiled flour-and-water, five cups water, quarter-cup flour, blended lumplessly in another cup of cold water, and then stirred into the boiling five cups for a couple of minutes.

Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Youve inspired me bushbaptist.... Im nowhere near as creative as you, but I love the tactile sensation and want a small coffe (hmm tea...) table so will see what I can come up with !! [Smile]
Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Love it, Bush Baby! And I'm glad to see you are allowing for more scones [Smile]
The bull terrier puppy is fun, too.

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A very impressive piece of work, Bush Baptist. The only papier maché I've done has been puppet heads...and not very convincing ones at that!

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

Oops [Hot and Hormonal] Bush Baptist [Hot and Hormonal]
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Thank you all for your kind words, and not to worry, daisydaisy. [Smile]
Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OOh, ooh. Bush Baptist's table has got me excited. I started doing some papier maché last year, plates and bowls, but didn't really like what I did. However, having found the site I may well go back to it and think again.

Thanks BB [Smile]

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone seen the latest Simply Knitting magazine?

There's a booklet that's been given away with it free this month with all sorts of nice things to make for the home.

One project in particular has taken my fancy - an absolutely gorgeous Entrelac cushion. Looks incredibly complicated, but I've printed some tutorials from the web, and I can't wait to have a go. It'll have to wait until I've finished my niece's jacket, but I think that should be done in the next fortnight or so.

Has anyone else tried Entrelac? Is it as tricky as it looks?

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
There's a booklet that's been given away with it free this month with all sorts of nice things to make for the home.
We get Simply Knitting down here too, unfortunately much behind the UK. The latest down here which I bought yesterday had stitch markers as a gift and the next is a needle case. It's much better than the Australian Creative Knitting which is a big letdown with lots of errors and proofing mistakes. If you should see YARN on sale, grab a copy. Newish Aussie magazine with lots of good articles. Published quarterly.

I've not tried entrelac but have bookmarked a couple of tutorials recently. Some of the time I think I want to try it, other times it just looks weird to me and I can't think of anything to use it for. I've even seen entrelac socks!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

Posts: 9745 | From: girt by sea | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by bush baptist:
Well, after some angst, and with help, here's some table photos, and also a dog, which was the first papier-mache I ever did, last summer: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bush_baptist/

bush baptist your table is wonderful. I am both impressed and wildly jealous. If it's not too much trouble I'd love to see a photo when you have painted it.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
bush baptist
Shipmate
# 12306

Thanks Huia! I'm not used to thinking of myself as competent with my hands, and I'm quite sure that anyone with more exactness and patience than I have could make a better table. (I'm generally so impatient to get to the result that I skimp on the precision.)
I'll post a picture, but it might be a while. I haven't bought the paint yet, and have only a hazy notion of the decor. But I have a most beautiful book on Persian gardens which should be an inspiration.

[ 04. March 2007, 23:44: Message edited by: bush baptist ]

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I sent off my first box of preemie hats, booties, and blankets to the charity I'm knitting for. I've started a new project that was in their newsletter: an incredibly easy baby blanket, (incredibly easy being the top criteria for this rookie) made of variegated color yarn in garter stitch; the nifty thing is, you alternate 7 rows done in size 13 needles with 7 rows with size 4 needles. There's a ribbony effect that's shaping up to be very cute. So great to do while vegging and watching TV.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

- Posted      Profile for babybear   Email babybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A couple of weeks ago a Local Preacher commented that he didn't know anyone who could turn a heel of a sock, and how he would love 'proper' woolen socks. Afterwards, I said to him that I would be happy to knit him a pair.

On Sunday, I was preaching in his church and took along a sock for him to try on. It has coloured rings, in bright primaries (and a bit of dark green and aqua). He was delighted, but slightly worried that only one sock had appeared. [Big Grin] But that was only because I needed him to make sure I had the right length in the foot.

Last week, I had been knitting one of these socks and an elderly lady from my church saw them and commented on it. We got to talking and she said how she would love 'one of these fluffy scarves'. She used to be a great knitter, but is now unable to due to arthritis. I have just finished a honey-beige coloured scarf for her, and there is enough yarn left over to make a brim for a hat, and a pair of gloves. I have some soft beige in merino that goes beautifully with the fluffy yarn. I may well make those up for her too.

Posts: 13287 | From: Cottage of the 3 Bears (and The Gremlin) | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

- Posted      Profile for Lothlorien   Email Lothlorien   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
BabyBear, I have found that knitting on trains etc is a great way to have conversations because many people would like to have something handmade..

I had one quite old German lady cry when she saw me knitting socks. She used to make them for her sons but has now told them they must buy them as she can't do it any more. One of her sons was in his mid-50s. She cried at the memories it brought back and because she was glad to see that sock knitting isn't a lost art.

I can understand someone who used to knit wanting something handmade.

I'm busy still with AIDS babies jumpers, more than 50,000 have been sent from Australia, and have also got almost halfway through a hat for DIL's birthday. She loves unusual hats and wears them often. It's a pattern from Knitty I'm using Noro Iro which wa the best match for wool I could find down here. Somewhat expensive but it is a present. AUS$35 for 120 metres. Ouch!

--------------------
Buy a bale. Help our Aussie rural communities and farmers. Another great cause needing support The High Country Patrol.

kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

Sounds like a cool hat, Lothlorien. I've got a skein of Noro something or other squirreled away for another hat atm. I'm a bit too scared to start on it, to be honest, because it is such costly yarn, but I'm hoping I get over the fear because it's such beautiful yarn!

Jacket going okay (apart from one slightly scar moment when I was transferring the stitches for the back onto the stitch holder. The connecting bit of yarn came out and I had to rethread it through the stitches with a yarn needle. I did this badly and there's now and ugly line through it which I'm hoping won't notice too much). I'm now rapidly approaching the hood.

I've decided (possibly foolishly) that I'm going to try and make everyone a present this year for Christmas, starting from now. They may not all be knitted (I've just picked up a fabby looking book on sewing called 'Yeah! I made it myself' which has some interesting looking projects in it), but hopefully they'll all be acceptable.

--------------------

Eigon
Shipmate
# 4917

- Posted      Profile for Eigon   Author's homepage   Email Eigon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Has anyone knitted with bamboo?
A lady at our Stitch and Bitch group has just got a ball to try, and it sounds really strange - but she says it should hang like silk when it's made up.

--------------------
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.

Posts: 3710 | From: Hay-on-Wye, town of books | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
RainbowKate
Shipmate
# 9331

- Posted      Profile for RainbowKate   Email RainbowKate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eigon:
A lady at our Stitch and Bitch group has just got a ball to try, and it sounds really strange - but she says it should hang like silk when it's made up.

I've never knitted with bamboo yarn, but I do have a shawl made of bamboo that is the softest thing I've ever felt. Very silk like really.
Posts: 1227 | From: Left at the loophole | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

I've just put down a floor of bamboo, so knitting with it would be fun!
The yarn I am knitting with at the moment contains "30% soybean protein free" - it felt a little strange at first but I've got used to it now.

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Yes, and it's very slippery to work with, but worth the trouble. Just be sure to use grippy needles. Don't use anything really pointy or metal because bamboo splits easily.

I'm on an unusual fiber streak right now and have recently tried corn, banana, yak and soy fibers. I'm also trying to think of some way of justifying the purchase of some qiviut, but that may take a while.

What other strange things have you knitted with?

--------------------

RainbowKate
Shipmate
# 9331

- Posted      Profile for RainbowKate   Email RainbowKate   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:
quote:

Yes, and it's very slippery to work with, but worth the trouble. Just be sure to use grippy needles. Don't use anything really pointy or metal because bamboo splits easily.

I'm on an unusual fiber streak right now and have recently tried corn, banana, yak and soy fibers. I'm also trying to think of some way of justifying the purchase of some qiviut, but that may take a while.

What is qiviut?

I haven't progressed to interesting fibers quite yet, but my friend is going to spin my cats fur into yarn the next time I get him groomed. He's a himalayan and gets shorn every 4 months. Not sure how much yarn she'll get out of him, so it could be quite a while before there is enough to knit anything.

--------------------
Coffee is the answer

Posts: 1227 | From: Left at the loophole | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

Sorry, I can't figure out how to do this the right way, but hopefully this will work:

http://www.qiviut.com/store/index.cfm?target=Fiber%20/%20Yarn

--------------------

babybear
# 34

I haven't tried bamboo, but do fancy it. I have tried to knit with soysilk. This is a yarn that is made from the by products of tofu manufacture. I could not get a nice tension on it at all, but it has been great to crochet with.
Retsoc
Shipmate
# 12027

- Posted      Profile for Retsoc   Author's homepage   Email Retsoc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My GP suggested I do some knitting in the evenings. It's a long time since I did any knitting and I don't know anyone who wants anything I might be able to make. Does anyone know of any charities (preferably in UK) which would like, for example, baby clothes? I think I'd be best starting small and doing things I can finish quickly.

Also, someone (can't find who sorry) asked about entrelac and whether it is easy to do. I made several entrelac items in my knitting days and yes, it is extremely easy - surprisingly so, as I recall.

Retsoc

--------------------
Blog

Posts: 896 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Badfundie:

supermarket carrier bags [Big Grin]
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Retsoc:
I don't know anyone who wants anything I might be able to make.

Do you know anyone/church that takes part in Operation Christmas Child? Child-sized hats, gloves and scarves would be welcomed in the shoeboxes.

You could contact your local homeless shelter/women's refuge and ask if they have any need for hats & scarves. Some baby units in hospitals need little things, and even blankets.

If your knitting is rather wobbly to begin with, you could knit some squares/strips to be made into blankets for your local animal shelter.

A cautionary tale for people just beginning to knit or crochet, or for those returning after a time away... A certain young bear went totally overboard when she returned to knitting and crochet and managed to strain the muscles in her neck, shoulders and back! It was most uncomfortable, and not to be recommended. It might be an idea to take things easy to start with and build up.

Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

quote:
Originally posted by RainbowKate:

I haven't progressed to interesting fibers quite yet, but my friend is going to spin my cats fur into yarn the next time I get him groomed. He's a himalayan and gets shorn every 4 months. Not sure how much yarn she'll get out of him, so it could be quite a while before there is enough to knit anything.

Do you plan to mix your cat's fur with something else, or just use it by itself?

daisydaisy; Your shopping bag bags are great.

--------------------

Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

Do you search out new shops to find carrier bags in different colours? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Retsoc
Shipmate
# 12027

- Posted      Profile for Retsoc   Author's homepage   Email Retsoc   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Thank you babybear. I didn't think of Operation Christmas Child - and we do three boxes every year, so that is a great solution. I went out and bought myself a rather nice pattern book today and some wool and needles, so I am ready to go.

Retsoc

--------------------
Blog

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by babybear:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Retsoc:
[qb]
A cautionary tale for people just beginning to knit or crochet, or for those returning after a time away... A certain young bear went totally overboard when she returned to knitting and crochet and managed to strain the muscles in her neck, shoulders and back! It was most uncomfortable, and not to be recommended. It might be an idea to take things easy to start with and build up.

Ahem. I would add to this. Its been two weeks and still my shoulder doesn't feel entirely back to normal. Knitting like crazy and making it my "this is the week to swim forty lengths a night" doesn't seem to have done me much good!!!
Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Retsoc:
Thank you babybear. I didn't think of Operation Christmas Child

OCC has some patterns that are suitable for their shoeboxes. They have hats, scarves, gloves, mittens and some toys in their patterns.

Last year I made a scarf from Sirdar Foxy Fur and a strand of black acrylic DK (held the two together and knitted on huge needles). I then used the remains for the Foxy to make a brim for a hat and a pair of mittens. The crown of the hat and the mittens were made from the black DK. They looked a pretty stylish set.

Ferijen, it sounds like you have as much sense as a bear at times.
[Biased]

Huia
Shipmate
# 3473

- Posted      Profile for Huia   Email Huia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
I would add to this. Its been two weeks and still my shoulder doesn't feel entirely back to normal. Knitting like crazy and making it my "this is the week to swim forty lengths a night" doesn't seem to have done me much good!!!

Malin has posted some helpful shoulder exercises in the "fitness freaks" thread in All Saints.

They might help.

Huia

--------------------
Charity gives food from the table, Justice gives a place at the table.

Posts: 10382 | From: Te Wai Pounamu | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

quote:
Originally posted by Roseofsharon:
quote:
Originally posted by daisydaisy:

Do you search out new shops to find carrier bags in different colours? [Big Grin]
Oh yes [Hot and Hormonal] and I also spot carrier bags colleagues bring their lunch into work in and ask them for them.... they now offer me bags and bring in fancy ones [Hot and Hormonal] [Hot and Hormonal]
Ena
Shipmate
# 11545

- Posted      Profile for Ena   Email Ena   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
They are fantastic, daisydaisy! The decorations are [Cool] What started you off on them?

--------------------
"Flying through rock is next week's lesson, Fletch" (Jonathan Livingston Seagull)

Posts: 557 | From: England | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dormouse

# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I have finished my first Baby blanket for S. African babies. The back of it looked SO nasty that I bought an off-cut of soft fleecy material (unmatching, but hey...) and sewed that to the knitting. That had the advantage of hiding the crappy knotty edges as well.
I ended up pinning a little note on it as well, saying that while it looked "unpretty" it was knitted with love!

The next blanket looks as though it's going to need a fleecy back to it as well. I don't think I'm capable of knitting neatly!

And a question: does other people's knit a row plain, knit a row purl go curly at the edges? I've been knitting wide (50 stitches) bands to sew together, and these have all been plain knitting. For a change I did some 1 row plain, 1 row purl and the band has curled in on both sides. It now looks as though it'll be difficult to sew onto its neighbouring band.

--------------------
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lothlorien
Ship's Grandma
# 4927

Dormouse,

Stocking stitch will always curl at the edges. It's just its nature. A good blocking helps or sometimes an edging if it's a blanket or scarf. Four or five garter stitches at the beginning and end of every row wll make a column which doesn't curl.

If making a hat, you can use this curl as a feature.

--------------------

babybear
# 34

quote:
Originally posted by Dormouse:
I don't think I'm capable of knitting neatly!

Give it time. Knitting is a skill that needs to be practised. You will get it.

quote:
does other people's knit a row plain, knit a row purl go curly at the edges?
Yup, that is a very common thing. Actually, that is the default state of stocking stitch (knit one row, purl the next). This can be used as a decorative feature, as on the Devan cardi. It is often used on beanie hats too.

If you are joining strips together, or pieces of a sweater, then having the seam will help prevent the curling. Blocking and pressing will help with some of the curl, but it will not eliminate it.

For blankets and scarves, and other pieces of knitting where you want them to be flat, not curled, you can use an edging stitch to help prevent the curl. For a scarf, you could knit 8 rows of garter st (knit each row). Then switch over to stocking stitch (knit one row, purl the next), but with a garter stitch border.

For a scarf 30 sts wide:
Cast on 30 sts.
Row 1 - 8: Knit
Row 9: Knit
Row 10: K4, P22, K4

Repeat rows 9 & 10 until the scarf is the length you want. Then repeat rows 1-8, and cast off.

This will make a scarf that will be curl resistant.

If you want to knit a blanket in strips, you could do the garter stitch border across the tops and bottoms of the strips, and then on the outside strips make a border on the outside edge only.

Dormouse

# 5954

Thanks to all. I'll remember to knit a border first next time. I prefer the look of stocking stitch, but it does seem to take longer.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I like seed stitch for a border. Knit 1, Purl 1, for as wide as you want the border. On the return row, knit the purls as they face you and purl the knits.

For example over an even number of stiches:
Row 1. *K1 P1* repeat between *s.
Row 2. *P1 K1* repeat between *s.
Repeat Rows 1 & 2.

I've started doing this on the edges of my pattern swatches (including the bottom and top edges), and it is soooooo much nicer to have a swatch that naturally lies flat.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ethne Alba
Shipmate
# 5804

- Posted      Profile for Ethne Alba     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Retsoc. I know you've got one idea 'bout your knitting.
But if you would like a change, then googling 'knitting for charity' brings up a HUGE assortment of charities who could benefit from your clicking needles.

Retsoc
Shipmate
# 12027

Thank you Ethne.

I'll do that when I finish my current list of items - thank you. It's always nice to be doing a range of different things.

Retsoc

--------------------
Blog

Dormouse

# 5954

I fancy trying a hooded wrap for babies that was on one of the sites that came up when I googled Knitting for Charity.

But I don't understand some of the instructions.
For example what does "wool forward" mean in this instruction:"1st row: k1, wool forward , k3"
And what ON EARTH does this instruction mean:
"Next row; k1, wool forward, sl 1, k2 tog. psso, k to end."

Oh Lord, I'm struggling to learn to speak French. I can't learn to speak Knitting too!!

[ 13. March 2007, 12:47: Message edited by: Dormouse ]

--------------------

Firenze

Ordinary decent pagan
# 619

- Posted      Profile for Firenze     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The instructions seem to be about creating a stitch to replace one you are decreasing.

What I would understand is that, though knitting plain, you bring the yarn to the front as though about to purl. The result is, that when you pick it up to do the next knit stitch, it passes over the needle and forms a new 'stitch'. Obviously, not a perfect one, but the strand is there on top of the needle for when you work the next row, at which point you treat it as a stitch and work it and it integrates into the row.

So "k1, wool forward, sl 1, k2 tog. psso, k to end." parses as - Knit one, do the thing I have described, slip a stitch without working it, knit the next two stitches together and pass the slipped stitch over, knit to the end.

Posts: 17302 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  ...  26  27  28 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016