homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Heaven: The green blade re-riseth (gardening thread anew) (Page 11)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  28  29  30 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Heaven: The green blade re-riseth (gardening thread anew)
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
My potted big pinkish magnolia has had loads of flowers and is coming to the end of them - a bit ahead of a huge magnolia tree in Sussex Gardens where the lovely prunus trees have finished blossoming, and my potted camelias are having loads and loads of bright reddish flowers - more than ever before [Smile] .

I've got to put the huge jasmine roots into a bigish square Conran Shop marble-ish whitish pot- and will have to get some help from family as it will definitely need strong people lifting both the roots and the new pot. [Help] The jasmine is just beginning to flower and so is the orange blossom bush.

One of the lily pots is well on the way - why does a red/orange lily grow and flower well before all the others?

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by daisymay:
One of the lily pots is well on the way - why does a red/orange lily grow and flower well before all the others?

Maybe because there are over a hundred species of wild lily found everywhere from Japan to Canada, from swamps to the Himalayas, from Sri Lanka to Norway! And they all have different habits and requirements.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Anna B
Shipmate
# 1439

- Posted      Profile for Anna B     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Ken, I think this is as good a time as any to tell you that you rock.

--------------------
Bad Christian (TM)

Posts: 3069 | From: near a lot of fish | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd appreciate some help and advice re

fritillaries we have some snakeshead ones that we'd like to plant out - does anyone know how much shade they need? We have a relatively damp side of the garden I think they might like otherwise.

tomatoes we would like to get some little plants and pop them in a grow bag in the green house in mid April, after we have finished gallivating about around Easter. Will that be reasonable timing do you think? How much water do tomatoes need?

herbs we have a planter with holes in the sides in which we'd like to grow herbs. We have oregano, thyme, dill, chives, sage and parsley. I think the bay plant could perhaps take over its own pot as could the mint plant which might otherwise strangle its neighbours. I am a little concerned as the oregano plant looked decidedly droopy when we left it for a few days. However, some of the other more Mediteranean herbs really don't like too much water. Should I plant them in different pots, or just plant the oregano at the bottom of the herb-pot-with-holes so that the water runs down?

blueberries We have an "Early Blue" plant we'd like to put in a pot on the patio. I have heard they like ericaceous (acid) compost - is that right folks? The plant is in flower right now and looks very pretty. But I have heard blueberries need to cross pollinate to produce fruit, so do we need another blueberry of a different sort on the patio too, and do we need to find one that is in flower as well?

lily of the valley I tried to grow these from bare roots previously but it didn't work out all that well. We have some coming up in a pot now - any advice or comments would be gratefully received.

Thank you.

Posts: 5352 | From: ebay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
PeaceRose
Shipmate
# 11586

- Posted      Profile for PeaceRose   Email PeaceRose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
fritillaries
The ones I've had have always been in moderate shade, but I don't have extensive experience.

tomatoes
I think they should be fine - they may be a little delayed for a while, but they should catch up if you cosset them and feed them well once they're in. Mine were a bit late last year as I had to wait for my new greenhouse to be erected, and they did pretty well.

herbs
I've never got on very well with my holey herb planter, I think because it is very hard to get water to stay in it - a watering tube down the centre might be a good idea. In fact I think I'll try that this year (but with flowers in the planter). Not sure about the oregano - I'm sure you're right that it needs more water, and it might not want as well-drained a compost as the others.

blueberries
They definitely like ericaceous compost, and don't necessarily need cross-pollination. My Mum had one on its own in a pot last year, and had a good handful of berries, even though it was its first year. You need to check the specific variety, and if it does need cross-pollinating you will need another one that is in flower. It may be that cross-pollination will improve the crop, but that you will still get some fruit without.

lily of the valley
No idea!

--------------------
Kindness is underrated.

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
blueberries Seconding the ericaceaous compost thing. They are naturally found in mountains and moorland. A common plant in the noth of Scotland - where they are called by their proper name, bilberries.

lily of the valley Genuinely easy plant to grow. Has to stay moist. Quite good in shade - it does well surrounded by taller plants.

--------------------
Ken

auntie di

Ship's Magic Pudding
# 11521

- Posted      Profile for auntie di   Email auntie di   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
lily of the valley is a very contrary plant. In previous gardens I tried like mad to get it to grow- bare root, seed, shovel full of plants from someone else's patch- all to no avail. I this garden it grows and grows and grows- right through the path and can be a total thug. Going from my experience, if you don't have exactly the right conditions or it's in a bad mood, you're stuffed.

--------------------
auntie di

Posts: 586 | From: Staffordshire | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
Roseofsharon
Shipmate
# 9657

- Posted      Profile for Roseofsharon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I heard years ago that lily-of-the valley need to be planted with a good amount of soil from their original spot still on the roots. I thought that was why mine had taken, but it didn't work for Aunty Di, so maybe not.
I guess they will either like a new spot, or not.

And thanks for the reminder - I need to go move a fritillary before the builders arrive with a bulldozer.

--------------------
Talk about books -any books- on our rejuvenatedforum http://www.bookgrouponline.com/index.php?

Posts: 3060 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

- Posted      Profile for welsh dragon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ken:
blueberries Seconding the ericaceaous compost thing. They are naturally found in mountains and moorland. A common plant in the noth of Scotland - where they are called by their proper name, bilberries.

Actually, they also grow in north Wales, and I used to go to pick them with my nain (grandmother), who used then to make fabulous pies and jams. They are much smaller - and tastier - wild off the mountains. Nain was the eldest of nine children, and her parents were short of money, so when she was a child she used to go picking the berries and sold them for pennies.

I remember the name "bilberries" but they were also called "wimberries" as well.

daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

- Posted      Profile for daisymay     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
And I used to pick them up in the highlands - and we called them "blaeberries", but I also remember hearing "bilberries".

I have been wondering about planting some in one or two pots in the yard. How big do they grow as they are nowadays? Maybe I should wait and hear what yours turn out like, Welsh Dragon...

This afternoon, I managed to get my huge jasmine into a much larger, stoney white sqare pot, with help from a couple of members of my family. After they flower, I'll have to get a ladder out and fix as many of them up into the high fence (about 20 feet) that some already are stuck to, as I can fix. [Help]

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

Posts: 11224 | From: London - originally Dundee, Blairgowrie etc... | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think my 2 citrus have made it through the frosts and I am thrilled. The Owari Satsuma mandarin has the best little seedless oranges I have ever tasted - it was like heaven picking & eating the few I got last year.

The other is a Bearss lime, which I mainly use in cooking & drinks.

My raspberries which I planted last year have lots of green fruit - so far they have been easy peasy (cross fingers).

I planted my 1st tomato yesterday, and I am working on a shady grotto-type area in one corner, where I planted Bleeding Heart, maidenhair fern, Brunnera, native oxalis with pink flowers, and a vine and groundcover - whew! So far all is well there.

My roses, though.
I planted them fairly hastily, in what used to be the lawn, and I am reaping the nonrewards of my lack of diligence.
My "Mary Rose" has aphids, although otherwise it looks very healthy.
The other 3 are French Lace, Summer fashion, and a great white heavenly-smelling old rose with a green eye (brain fade on the name).

Under my oaks, the native shrubs which I planted are looking good, and I'm doing a little (natural & simple) path on that side of the yard.

Posts: 1157 | From: Pomo (basket) country | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

- Posted      Profile for Basket Case   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'd sure love to be able to add photos to our posts - but I'm sure if that were possible, it would already be happening.
But it sure would be nice.

auntie di

Ship's Magic Pudding
# 11521

- Posted      Profile for auntie di   Email auntie di   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basket case- why don't you post apicture of your crop and roses on Flicka or similar and post a link?

--------------------
auntie di

PeaceRose
Shipmate
# 11586

- Posted      Profile for PeaceRose   Email PeaceRose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
If you would like to see some pictures from my garden, have a look here - there's quite a few pictures of last year's roses lower down.

I have to confess, though, that the recent picture labelled 'baby auricula' has since grown into a weed ... [Hot and Hormonal]

--------------------
Kindness is underrated.

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Something is trying to use my vegetable patch (I see shoots of garlic, carrot, beetroot, spinach and more developed bits of rocket, radish and lambs lettuce) as a toilet. I suspect, from the size of the droppings, that it is a fox, although I'm at a loss as to how it gets in to our fenced-in-garden (if it can keep a dog in, I'd expect it can keep a fox out but...).

I can put rose thorns over it, I can even (if this wind calmed down a bit) but the little greenhouse I have on the patch. But how can I deter it from coming in?

Posts: 3259 | From: UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well, the pump-action water-gun has now arrived and has been tested on the cat. We will probably not be able to catch her in the act so have adopted the policy of firing at her whenever she is on the lawn to deter her from going on the lawn at all

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

Auntie Di, great idea!

The 1st one will show how my roses aren't getting enough sun due to oak tree. Then I will diss my groovy hometown for their tree ordinance which says I need a permit (big bucks) to prune it significantly.

I will post a link ASAP.

Laura
General nuisance
# 10

- Posted      Profile for Laura   Email Laura   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:
Well, the pump-action water-gun has now arrived and has been tested on the cat. We will probably not be able to catch her in the act so have adopted the policy of firing at her whenever she is on the lawn to deter her from going on the lawn at all

Which water gun did you go with? (Shades of hermit's gun thread years back...)

--------------------
Love is the only sane and satisfactory answer to the problem of human existence. - Erich Fromm

Posts: 16883 | From: East Coast, USA | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

My back yard is a bit messy, but here goes:

Photos of my back yard, taken today.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's called 'Splash Attack' and comes fitted with it's own back-pack reservoir. Range of about 15'.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Basket Case, your Brunnera is gorgeous. I planted some a few years ago and never got those pretty little blue flowers.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Basket Case
Shipmate
# 1812

Gee thanks, mamacita. I wish I could take some credit, but I just bought it ~ 2 weeks ago, with flowers already on it [Hot and Hormonal]
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Inspired by the survival of the parsley the other week, I have now expanded the herb garden to include some (purple?) thyme, rosemary, mint and a (very small) bay tree. The Greek oregano I planted last year appears to have snuffed it however - any ideas as to why? Is it worth replacing or is the same thing likely to happen again?

--------------------

welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

We have lots of lords and ladies in our garden (check out that link!).

Some places seem to describe it as a precious wildflower; the chap who had the garden before us (who is now gardening professionally) says it is pernicious and not to let it get a foothold in the garden or it will smother everything around it.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

(Also, I just asked Dave to get rid of a load of this - but he is now worried that he was attacking a proper plant, so we left half of what was there. We have a real "is it a weed or is it a "nice" plant problem!)

Are then any good plant identification books?

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I don't know about the books, wd, but I'm sure the regulars here will have lots of suggestions.

In the meantime, I have the same "good plant or weed?" issue in my yard. We are enjoying our annual visit from the siberian squills. My neighbor says they're a weed. I think they're cute and cheery.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
auntie di

Ship's Magic Pudding
# 11521

Matt Black- I seem to remember that your greek oregano is a bit on the tender side, and there is an annual version as well, if memory serves, so it could be natural wastage. It might be worth getting some seed and treating it as an annual, sowing fresh each spring.

--------------------
auntie di

PeaceRose
Shipmate
# 11586

quote:
Originally posted by welsh dragon:
We have lots of lords and ladies in our garden (check out that link!).

Some places seem to describe it as a precious wildflower; the chap who had the garden before us (who is now gardening professionally) says it is pernicious and not to let it get a foothold in the garden or it will smother everything around it.

Anyone got an opinion on this?

I have some in small quantities around the edges of the garden, and I love it. It has certainly not shown any signs of perniciousness - so far!

A weed is just a plant that is in the wrong place. At one of our previous houses we had love-in-the-mist growing as a weed - it was a nightmare, however pretty. Here, I have deliberately introduced a small, brown leaved sorrel with yellow flowers, and alpine strawberries (both weeds from previous houses) because they are pretty, controllable, and good ground cover.

--------------------
Kindness is underrated.

obble
Shipmate
# 10868

- Posted      Profile for obble   Email obble   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Welsh Dragon,
It might be worth waiting to see if the half of your lords-and-ladies which you got rid of comes back again, or if the stuff you've left spreads before deciding if it needs to be removed properly - if you already have lots of it, you won't be creating that much more work getting rid of it next year rather than this, unless you let it take over more ground.

I generally work on the assumption that a weed is a plant in the wrong place, so if you think it's pretty, and it's not in the way of anything, it's not a weed. The exceptions to this are plants which I know to be set on world domination, such as bindweed, couch grass, and the offspring of any nearby tree which sheds thousands of seeds into the garden every year.

--------------------
Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.

Posts: 1700 | From: Some other planet | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
welsh dragon

Shipmate
# 3249

Moving on from weeds to compost heaps , does anyone have advice on these, particularly what you can and can't put in them?

We have inherited one that is "done" and another that we are filling up. Is filling up with weeds okay? We have been ripping out brambles apace, for example.

Also, I have been digging, literally, dandelions out of the lawn with a trowel, somewhat to Dave's consternation, as it leaves little holes. However, if we don't go to Australia to get the roots, they are going to come back. The lawn is quite green, albeit mossy in places, and I don't mind the daisies and clover. Is it worth getting the stuff you put on (I think after cutting) to fertilise the grass and get rid of weeds and moss?

And, regarding compost heap, is it okay to ut the dandelions in there? I noticed today that the yellow heads were turning to clocks in there!

Turning again to blueberries , I have been reading a bit more about them. The one we got on Sat is an Earliblue and I got a Goldtraube, which is a late fruiter, to keep it company. However, having attempted to cater for the emotional needs of my fruit-bushes, I now find that they require rainwater, or, indeed, bottled water, because they don't like the lime in tapwater. (No doubt they would also like compost that has been gathered at dawn by the hands of virgin princessses who are the seventh child of a seventh child).

Since we do not yet have a rain butt, and bottled water is expensive, for Pete's sake, does anyone have any advice on this? Would filtered water do?

And indeed does anyone have any advice on rain butts and the best one to get?

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Cheers, Auntie Di! I'll get a new one - it's only £2 at the local garden centre

--------------------

PeaceRose
Shipmate
# 11586

If you put dandelion flowers or seed heads on your compost heap, you will get dandelions growing in your compost. [Frown] And, as you have found, the flowers can turn to seed heads after being picked or dug up. Similarly, if you put fleshy weed roots on the compost, many plants will be able to grow back from fairly small pieces.

I like moss in my lawn. It's nice and springy, doesn't need cutting, and stays green when the grass goes brown in a drought.

Matt Black, Mr PeaceRose is delighted that I have played a part in conscripting someone else to the 'Pump-Action Water Pistols Against Cats Team' (PAWPACT). [Snigger]

--------------------
Kindness is underrated.

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Thanks, but it hasn't stopped the cat, yet [Frown] . Mrs B did manage to catch her once 'in the act' with the gun yesterday but, short of staking the garden out and trying to catch her when she 'performs', the only solution that I can see is to squirt her every time she ventures on to the lawn; this may seem harsh but, as Hilary Briss says in The League of Gentlemen, "we shall have to take steps..." [Snigger]

[ 04. April 2007, 11:15: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------

ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

quote:
Originally posted by PeaceRose:
If you put dandelion flowers or seed heads on your compost heap, you will get dandelions growing in your compost.

And this is bad because?

--------------------
Ken

PeaceRose
Shipmate
# 11586

Because you're probably going to spread your compost on your flower beds or vegetable garden, and you're creating weeding for yourself by putting weed seeds into it. If you've already gone to the trouble of weeding the lawn of dandelions you probably don't want them in the beds.

[ETA If you shred the flowers you should be OK.]

[ 04. April 2007, 14:24: Message edited by: PeaceRose ]

--------------------
Kindness is underrated.

Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I usually remove dandelion flowers and dispose of separately before they turn to seed. I started doing this frequently, religiously (!) several years ago and there aren't too many in my lawn now. Sometimes I go round digging up the roots, or rather sticking something sharp diagoanlly down to slice the root and remove what I can. This takes a few seconds and is very satisfying but does leave holes but I don't care!

I've never been sure what to do with several kilos of dandelion plant. Can I make wine?

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

Or soup: Antonio Carluccio's Italian feast has a marvellous recipe for soup involving dandelions and stinging nettles - full of vitamins apparently!

--------------------

Dormouse

Glis glis – Ship's rodent
# 5954

- Posted      Profile for Dormouse   Email Dormouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We (well, actually, I mean the three blokes out of the 6 person partnership)(Though I did some raking and weed removal, she adds hastily) have dug over about 100 metres sq of our enormous potager. Cyril has started on planting the strawberries in little plastic cloches, but other than that we've not planted anything yet. I'm guessing stuff needs to go in...
And, serendipidously, Mr D arrives back from Agri Sud Est (local garden centre) saying he's bought seed potatoes, onions, shallots, and seeds for courgettes and "green leafy things" YAY! [Yipee] I think we may be eating veggies grown ourselves this year.
I have bought the son of our Potager Partners a little gardening set for Easter, together with pumpkin and sunflower seeds. Hopefully this will get another generation interested.
Now the Blokes have dug over the ground, I may get interested in planting stuff.

The chickens may become Next Year's Project, as I have to wait for Gerome (designated Builder In Chief) to build the Chicken Run, and he's busy renovating a house at the moment.

--------------------
What are you doing for Lent?
40 days, 40 reflections, 40 acts of generosity. Join the #40acts challenge for #Lent and let's start a movement. www.40acts.org.uk

Posts: 3042 | From: 'twixt les Bois Noirs & Les Monts de la Madeleine | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Today I planted vegetable seeds to cram into my tiny garden that is otherwise given over to ornamental plants. So come the summer I should be harvesting courgettes, radishes, carrots, parsnips, beetroot, spinach, runner beans and peas. That is if the seeds survive the birds and the seedlings survive the slugs and being sat on by cats who seem to think these things need to be incubated.
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beenster
Shipmate
# 242

- Posted      Profile for Beenster   Email Beenster   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matt Black:

My mother has filled two empty bottles (the sort that squash or water would come in) with water. These are placed on their side at opposite ends of the garden. They keep the cats away 99% of the time.

Today, I am going out with my hedge trimmer and cutting back the bushes. Also some weeds are coming through.

What I am very happy to note tho, is that I planted a clematis last year and the recent sunny weather has definitely had a positive effect on it. It is spreading like there is no tomorrow. So, another little job will be to train it along the walls.

I have patch of garden that needs a bush. I want something flowering and attractive and probably would grow to about 3'-4'. Soil: London clay. Position: sunny. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I am trying to reclaim my garden slowly from under a mountain of tree (don't ask!)... though not breaking my back as the extension that's due to be built soon will put paid to any serious work I reckon, and I'll need to rethink the layout as I'll be sacrificing a lot of light [Frown] to my increase in space [Smile] .

1) I know you're supposed to leave daffodil leaves until they die off so that the bulbs can continue to absorb goodness, but they grew through the bits of tree, were straggly and untidy and now are lying all over the place and looking like my son's hair when he gets up in the morning. Will I regret it if I cut all the leaves off? Should I persevere? What are thoughts about the knotting of leaves which my gardening friend tuts about?

2) My Smudgelet was given a rose bush when he was adopted formally five years ago, so it's very special.... and is in the direct path of the minidigger. Would it kill it to dig it up and pot it for a while? If it would survive, what sort of compost should I pot it in?

3) In shifting all the leaves we found a mass of minibeasts that we've never seen before, and neither has my 75-year-old gardener friend. They don't stay still long enough to catch one and examine it, but they bounce and spring all over the place and then either scurry away or curl up in a teeny tiny ball that looks like a bit of dirt. They're very small - maybe about 2-3mm long and slightly longer than round, but can spring about 30cm off the ground repeatedly like on a trampoline. Any ideas what they are?

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisydaisy
Shipmate
# 12167

- Posted      Profile for daisydaisy   Email daisydaisy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Smudgie:
you're supposed to leave daffodil leaves until they die off so that the bulbs can continue to absorb goodness... Will I regret it if I cut all the leaves off? Should I persevere? What are thoughts about the knotting of leaves which my gardening friend tuts about?

Very occasionally I've had to cut the leaves off daffodils before they are brown and they haven't suffered the next year. I wonder if it migth be a problem if you do it every year. Also, I've never had problems with knotting leaves, although I don't do that now because the garden is so heavily planted that other plants hide them.

quote:

2) My Smudgelet was given a rose bush.... Would it kill it to dig it up and pot it for a while? If it would survive, what sort of compost should I pot it in?

I moved a rose bush from my previous house, and not only did it survive but it thrived in it's new home! I put it in regular "all purpose" compost, and it was almost 6 months before I could put it in the ground.

quote:

3) In shifting all the leaves we found a mass of minibeasts that we've never seen before.... Any ideas what they are?

no idea - but I look forward to hearing what anyone suggests [Smile]
Posts: 3184 | From: southern uk | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
dolphy

Lady of Perpetual Responsiblity
# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
1) I know you're supposed to leave daffodil leaves until they die off so that the bulbs can continue to absorb goodness, but they grew through the bits of tree, were straggly and untidy and now are lying all over the place and looking like my son's hair when he gets up in the morning. Will I regret it if I cut all the leaves off?

I would advise against cutting the leaves off. If you could bear to wait until they have died back then you can dig up the bulbs, dry them out, keep them in a bag and replant them next year. If you do decide to cut the leaves, that would probably be alright but you may find the same issue arises next Spring.

Does anyone have any thoughts about the small, free standing, plastic greenhouse type thingies (note technical term!)? My garden does not have space for a proper greenhouse but I'd like to have somewhere I can nurture my seedlings without having to drive down to Devon and borrow space in Mummy D's one.

--------------------
Looking forward to my rock moving closer again.

Posts: 15134 | From: my camper van | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Emma Louise

Storm in a teapot
# 3571

- Posted      Profile for Emma Louise   Email Emma Louise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I think ferijen has one...??

Dolphy - I was just about to post to ask *why* people dig their daffodils up, and when and and and!

I thought bulbs were supposed to be left in the ground? I could quite happily go and dig up my daffodils (do you wait until the leaves look a bit dead?) but why? I guess it saves forgetting where they are in the garden?

Do you then keep them in a shed in the dark or somethign?

please tell this amateur gardener more [Smile]

(were just off to buy scare-the-cat pellets although I am sceptical...)

Posts: 12719 | From: Enid Blyton territory. | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged
daisymay

St Elmo's Fire
# 1480

Smudgie,
quote:
1) I know you're supposed to leave daffodil leaves until they die off so that the bulbs can continue to absorb goodness, but they grew through the bits of tree, were straggly and untidy and now are lying all over the place and looking like my son's hair when he gets up in the morning. Will I regret it if I cut all the leaves off? Should I persevere? What are thoughts about the knotting of leaves which my gardening friend tuts about?

I don't remember any problem about knotting the leaves - just after they have had time to absorb evrything they need, done gently so they are not just torn. Have you cut off all the flowers? that is necessary so that the bublbs don't give away their food to the seeds.

--------------------
London
Flickr fotos

dolphy

# 862

- Posted      Profile for dolphy   Email dolphy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Emma.:
Dolphy - I was just about to post to ask *why* people dig their daffodils up, and when and and and!

'Coz my Mummy told me to!

Seriously though, some I used to have in containers in the garden and when the leaves had all died back, we used to 'dig' them up, dry them, and yes, put them in a dark place until planting time again. This was in case I decided to put them elsewhere, which I infact did.

If they are in the ground, you don't have to dig them up but be careful when you come to turn the soil over and/or add compost since bulbs can be lost that way.

I merely said dig them to Smudgie, since if they are not doing well where they are, she might want to move them for next year.

As for anti-cat pellets, I was not sure about them either so I bought a scent-off spray gun which didn't really work. If you put moth balls near where the cat is soiling, this will see them off! Bear in mind, they will stink for a few days.

ETA the balls stink, not the cats!

[ 07. April 2007, 11:21: Message edited by: dolphy ]

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

- Posted      Profile for Ferijen   Email Ferijen   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Some bulbs/tubers are supposed to be overwintered out of the ground (though you'd probably be Ok in Emma's location), but daffodils are fine left in. Resist trimming them (and tulips) if you can for as long as possible if you want flowers next year - I trimmed mine too early a couple of years ago, and all I got last year were a lot of green leaves... Apparently a bit of plant food on them at this time of year is good too, but I haven't tried it.

RE: the mini greenhouse things. I've got a mini four tiered thing, and it certainly gets warm in there. Never having had a proper greenhouse, I'm not sure how they compare, but they certainly take the edge off the cold nights. My friend has one in a fairly sunny spot and has been growing chives from seeds in there since January... You can also get walk in ones, but never seen one in real life before! Argos example.

I've also just got, from Wilkinson, a 1m2 'greenhouse' which reminds me a little of the little play tent I had when I was little. It was about £7. It sits on my vegetable patch, keeps off the random intruder (now thwarted by a teepee of sharp sticks) and is encouraging all my salad to grow. Wilkinsons really is good for cheap gardeny stuff - got an 2m obelisk/climbing frame thing for £5 there, where the cheapest I could get in the garden centre was twice that price.

My mission for this afternoon is to re-create the flower beds in the front garden which are over-dominated with bushes. Wish me luck!

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

quote:
2) My Smudgelet was given a rose bush when he was adopted formally five years ago, so it's very special.... and is in the direct path of the minidigger. Would it kill it to dig it up and pot it for a while? If it would survive, what sort of compost should I pot it in?

When I transplanted my in-situ-for-2-years rose bush, I dug as wide as I could and put it into the biggest, cheapest container it could get (3.50 from Asda if I recall recorrectly). Its been fine and has been transplanted twice since... ON the other hand, now might be the time to also take some cuttings *just in case*.
dolphy

# 862

quote:
Originally posted by Ferijen:
My mission for this afternoon is to re-create the flower beds in the front garden which are over-dominated with bushes. Wish me luck!

Good luck! I need to do the same but am waiting until Mummy d comes to stay [Biased]

I agree that Wilkinson's is a good place to buy cheap garden 'stuffs'. We have another cheap place just opened here, similar to Poundland, where I got myself a wonderful lawn edger for £2!

I'll have a look at the small greenhouses and get back to you for advice, if that's ok.

I must sort the pots out this afternoon also since I'm told that the tomato seedlings will be ready to transport from Devon soon. There is a sadness behind this for us since Daddy d used to sort out the toms but I am determined to pick off the right leaves and shoots this year as they grow. Last year I managed to kill four of the six plants due to picking the wrong bits out, daddy d was not impressed.

--------------------

Ferijen
Shipmate
# 4719

Stubborn bushes and potato-style roots dug out, ground dug up, broken glass (clearly the current fractured window isn't the only casualty there's been) cleared, compost dug in, and a peony, bleeding heart, japanese lantern style thing and geranium, all root plants, put in, as well as a pack of blue-mix seeds and white-mix seeds (I've got quite enough going on in windowsills as it is, just wanted something easy!).

The root plants didn't look too healthy, but all of them showed some signs of life even if they didn't come out of the pack as expected. And I feel very achey. But it looks a lot better (even if just a heap of soil at the moment!).

Smudgie

Ship's Barnacle
# 2716

- Posted      Profile for Smudgie   Email Smudgie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Just to mention that I have never dug up my daffodil bulbs and when they don't have a tree on them they always grow rather beautifully and are a riot of yellow in the early spring. It was only the tree that did for them this year.
Actually, now that we have cleared all the bits of tree from the area, the leaves don't look so bad at all - mainly because the lawn is now completely done for (temporarily, I know) having been covered in tree for so long and the daffodil leaves are the only bit of green. It looks for all the world like that funny hairdo the kids seem to like where it's shaved really short all round their heads and there's just a mop of unruly longer hair flopping around at the top!

Immense thanks are due to my brother and my eldest son for their industrious and indefatigable tree-reducing endeavours today. The garden looks so much more presentable.

--------------------
Miss you, Erin.

Posts: 14382 | From: Under the duvet | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  28  29  30 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016