homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread (Page 1)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I thought it might be handy to have a thread for people to rant about the leading light of Westboro Baptist C****h, Fred Phelps, and his actions, rather than the regular new threads that pop up every so often.

Out of curiosity, I was checking up on his hideous godhatesfags.com website and discovered this wonderous quote;
quote:
...Westboro Baptist C****h of Topeka, Kansas, and her picketing ministry...
WTF is a 'picketing ministry'? [I get the definition - but to call it a ministry?!?!?]

Their latest stop along the way on said 'picketing ministry' is this; picketing the funerals of children killed when their school-bus came off the road.

Bastards.

Has the baptist c****h no authority to get rid of the man? If they do, why don't they?

[ 12. January 2011, 14:41: Message edited by: RooK ]

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Phos Hilaron
Shipmate
# 6914

- Posted      Profile for Phos Hilaron   Email Phos Hilaron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I could be wrong, but I suspect his church is not actually affiliated to any Baptist denomination.

--------------------
Gaero?.......Gaero!

Posts: 1684 | From: Choson | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You're probably right, actually.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since I live in the general area of the folks in question, I think that if you would ask them they would be proud to say that they are not connected with any other Baptist Church in the world, since they are the only true light. [Projectile]

I was informed this week that since the ECUSA parish they enjoy picketing was burned out of their building, they have been following them around to wherever they hold worship services. [Frown]

--------------------
I used to know some of the answers, then they changed the questions.

Posts: 588 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
"Picketing ministry"?!? [Projectile]

FF, I wonder....have the police checked out the activities of all Westboro Baptist Church members on the night of the fire? After that other Episcopal Church was burned down because some kid didn't like their take on the Bible, this one doesn't look very random.

(Perhaps the Phelpses are here to force us to remember to turn the other cheek and pray for our enemies. It is hard sometimes.)

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I thought it looked a bit suspicious too.
Surely even they couldn't justify that?
Well, actually, if they can picket funerals (especially kids' ones, which somehow seems worse), they probably can. Tiny-minded little bigots.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
WTF is a 'picketing ministry'?
[Killing me]

You've got to give them points for the notion.

I've just been called by God to create a 'slap the shit out of assholes ministry' based in Topeka.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
RooK

1 of 6
# 1852

- Posted      Profile for RooK   Author's homepage   Email RooK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
No need to worry about Phelps: Galactus is coming.
Posts: 15274 | From: Portland, Oregon, USA, Earth | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 206:
I've just been called by God to create a 'slap the shit out of assholes ministry' based in Topeka.

I might donate to that.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I think that's a noble calling, 206.
Maybe it's time the Ship had an official 'cause of the year' - think that might be a strong contender...

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Lord told me to anticipate it being a very cash intensive ministry what with attorney fees, jail bond and private jets to the ministry sites so fork it over sucker, I mean, please find it in your heart to contribute to this important cause.

And The Vision He's given me is coming into clearer focus minute by minute: unmarked 50 dollar bills are His preference, and lots of 'em.

You'll be doing God's work.

altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My God is more cash poor than your God. God's telling me non-sequential hundred pound notes. (Have to cover all of expenses listed by 206, plus trans-Atlantic flights, visas, and VAT.)

Your reward in heaven shall be great.

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

moron
Shipmate
# 206

quote:
God's telling me non-sequential hundred pound notes. (Have to cover all of expenses listed by 206, plus trans-Atlantic flights, visas, and VAT.)
Obviously you're being misled by a false god or you wouldn't forget my franchise fees for the concept. I mean, God's concept. I'm merely His humble servant.

And I'm trying to come up with a slogan: how about

'Slapping Assholes To God's Glory - Please Send Cash'?

But I was never good at details: I'm more of the 'visionary' type which is why I'm working to find minions, er, 'ministry partners'.

altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Mea culpa. I was planning on paying the fees with a bit of arbitrage on the foreign currency exchange rates.

With enough success, we can pay others to do the slapping for us. "Wasn't me, guv." We could call it "Happy Slapping". Wait, there's already something called that. Other ideas?

Your minion in ministry,

Altarbird

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
WTF is a 'picketing ministry'?
[Killing me]

You've got to give them points for the notion.

Can we picket pickets?
Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by HangarQueen:
I could be wrong, but I suspect his church is not actually affiliated to any Baptist denomination.

I'm pretty sure that's right, and of course there's no such thing as "the Baptist Church," since even within Baptist denominations every congregation is self-governing. Does anyone on this board know, just out of curiosity, how much authority there is within various Baptist denoms to discipline wayward congregations?

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ
https://www.episcopalcafe.com/a-seminary-is-born-in-el-salvador/

Posts: 1157 | From: Seattle | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jengie jon

Semper Reformanda
# 273

- Posted      Profile for Jengie jon   Author's homepage   Email Jengie jon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by MouseThief:
quote:

I might donate to that.
Well I have had a semi serious discussion with a member of Cathedral staff about the ministry of the boot he was exercising at the time. We were exempt from administrations having made the journey to the cathedral to attend evensong.

Jengie

--------------------
"To violate a persons ability to distinguish fact from fantasy is the epistemological equivalent of rape." Noretta Koertge

Back to my blog

Posts: 20894 | From: city of steel, butterflies and rainbows | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

I wonder if Phelps would regard Jack Chick as a heretic and vice versa. Maybe they could be installed in a room together to tear strips off each other, rather than the world at large.

--------------------

Gwai
Shipmate
# 11076

- Posted      Profile for Gwai   Email Gwai   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know that American Baptist churches can throw each other out of the region and that if a church does not reaffilliate legally with another region (can be hard) then the church may have to give up the denominational property (building etcetera.) Attended an American Baptist church, (until I moved) who got thrown out of their region for joining The Association of Welcoming & Affirming Baptists. This region was going to ask all its members to sign a statement of doctrine saying they were against homosexuality and if this passed (I don't know about that region since said church is now in a different region) then any church who refused to sign would have been legally leaving the region (and thus would be in shit creek without a paddle.)

However, Southern Baptists are a different boat and I can not speak to their systems.

--------------------
A master of men was the Goodly Fere,
A mate of the wind and sea.
If they think they ha’ slain our Goodly Fere
They are fools eternally.

Posts: 11914 | From: Chicago | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I wonder if Phelps would regard Jack Chick as a heretic and vice versa. Maybe they could be installed in a room together to tear strips off each other, rather than the world at large.
But then we'd be flooded with Chick tracts about nutjob protesters, and Phelps would be picketing comic shops, which would be a pain in the arse on both counts.

Paul W

[ 26. November 2006, 23:36: Message edited by: Paul W. ]

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

- Posted      Profile for Al Eluia   Email Al Eluia   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An Episcopal priest of my acquaintance encountered Phelps and his brood at General Convention a few years ago, picketing across the street. Father Who-shall-remain-nameless walked up to Fred and offered him a caramel on the theory that if Fred was chewing on a caramel he couldn't talk!

--------------------
Consider helping out the Anglican Seminary in El Salvador with a book or two! https://www.amazon.es/registry/wishlist/YDAZNSAWWWBT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_ep_ws_7IRSzbD16R9RQ

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Did he take the caramel? I can't imagine he would accept something from one of those f*g-loving 'Piscopalians*.

(*of which I'm one)

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Al Eluia

Inquisitor
# 864

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Did he take the caramel? I can't imagine he would accept something from one of those f*g-loving 'Piscopalians*.

(*of which I'm one)

If I remember the story correctly he did, although I don't know if he ate it. (And me too; I love f*g Newtons)

--------------------

RuthW

liberal "peace first" hankie squeezer
# 13

- Posted      Profile for RuthW     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
I thought it might be handy to have a thread for people to rant about the leading light of Westboro Baptist Church, Fred Phelps, and his actions, rather than the regular new threads that pop up every so often.

Out of curiosity, I was checking up on his hideous godhatesfags.com website and discovered this wonderous quote ...

Their latest stop along the way on said 'picketing ministry' is this; picketing the funerals of children killed when their school-bus came off the road.

This gave me an idea -- maybe we could designate one person on the Ship to read and summarize what's on Phelps' website so we're not all running up his hit count.
Posts: 24453 | From: La La Land | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good suggestion but I fear I must decline; I have high blood pressure as it is. Plus I've just had breakfast and would like to retain it within my body in the usual time-honoured manner.
quote:
Originally posted by Al Eluia:
quote:
Originally posted by HangarQueen:

I'm pretty sure that's right, and of course there's no such thing as "the Baptist Church," since even within Baptist denominations every congregation is self-governing. Does anyone on this board know, just out of curiosity, how much authority there is within various Baptist denoms to discipline wayward congregations?
Technically, none at all, I'm afraid. As you've said, each Baptist congo is autonomous and pretty much do and believe what the hell they like without sanction. Most Baptist congregations however do choose to affiliate together in various unions, conventions and associations with other like-minded Baptist congos: SBC, ABC and, over here, BUGB and Grace Baptists, to share clergy and other resources, but these associations are purely voluntary and do not in any way amount to denominations, and the worst that can happen is that a congregation can be disaffiliated from a particular grouping - the convention or association can't stop the congo doing what it's doing. AFAIK, Phucktard Phelps and Co have never been in affiliation with anyone else; after all, who would have them?

[ 27. November 2006, 08:52: Message edited by: Matt Black ]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Low Treason
Shipmate
# 11924

- Posted      Profile for Low Treason   Email Low Treason   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Has anyone ever picketed Fred?

Not a happy thought, going out deliberately to make contact with the slimeballs, but I was just wondering what would happen.....

--------------------
He brought me to the banqueting house, and His banner over me was love.

Posts: 1914 | From: UK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

What I don't understand is how this guy and his ministry make enough money for all this travel, ballot initiatives, etc. Does anyone know? Did he inheirit a lot of money somewhere?

Although what is really scary is that when his daughter ran for office on a very open "I'm in complete agreement with Phelps" ticket, she got a pretty high percentage of the vote. [Projectile]

--------------------

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That kind of thing reminds me of the scenes in Borat with the rodeo crowd and university students [Eek!]

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by altarbird:
What I don't understand is how this guy and his ministry make enough money for all this travel, ballot initiatives, etc. Does anyone know? Did he inheirit a lot of money somewhere?

Although what is really scary is that when his daughter ran for office on a very open "I'm in complete agreement with Phelps" ticket, she got a pretty high percentage of the vote. [Projectile]

Your paragraph 2 answers paragraph 1. There are lots of vindictive, judgmental bastards out there. For every bigot that shows up to picket a soldier's funeral there are a hundred who inwardly cheer Phelps and his ilk.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by My Duck:
Has anyone ever picketed Fred?

Not a happy thought, going out deliberately to make contact with the slimeballs, but I was just wondering what would happen.....

Shipmeet for those in south USA?
[Snigger]

quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
quote:
But then we'd be flooded with Chick tracts about nutjob protesters, and Phelps would be picketing comic shops, which would be a pain in the arse on both counts.

bloody funny though - and it'd keep them occupied.
quote:

I thought it might be handy to have a thread for people to rant about the leading light of Westboro Baptist Church, Fred Phelps, and his actions, rather than the regular new threads that pop up every so often.

quote:
Originally posted by RuthW:

This gave me an idea -- maybe we could designate one person on the Ship to read and summarize what's on Phelps' website so we're not all running up his hit count.

That'd be an, er, interesting assignment. Good idea - but can I volunteer NOT to be the Chosen One&trade

--------------------

ButchCassidy
Shipmate
# 11147

- Posted      Profile for ButchCassidy   Email ButchCassidy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think they're technically Primitive/Particular Baptists; so they claim to be on their website. It seems like what non-homosexual-hating theology they do teach is uber-Calvinist.

Primitve Bapists AFAIK are pretty autonomous though, dont have many links with each other. Also looks like the Primitive Baptist Web Station doesn't list them amongst its members... Could be they're as appalled by Westboro as everyone else.

Posts: 104 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Orb

Eye eye Cap'n!
# 3256

- Posted      Profile for Orb   Author's homepage   Email Orb   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You do realise that Phelps is the heart of American society though, right?

--------------------
“You cannot buy the revolution. You cannot make the revolution. You can only be the revolution. It is in your spirit, or it is nowhere.” Ursula K. Le Guin, The Dispossessed

Posts: 5032 | From: Easton, Bristol | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orb:
You do realise that Phelps is the heart of American society though, right?

No, not the heart but the "mean center" according to Wiki'. It's very probably a fine place and has done nothing to deserve its name.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Shipmeet for those in south USA? ...

Not so very far south; Kansas licence plates read "Midway USA" in my childhood. We could draw from a wide geographic area and be equally inconvenient for (almost) all.

And I know where there's an excellent microbrewery in nearby Lawrence -- perfect for pre- and post-picketing libations. I'll bet Frustrated Farmer could help us out on that front, though.

Ross

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Does anyone live near enough to Mystery Worship his church?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now that would be nervewracking - can you imagine dropping the MW calling card into that particular collection plate?

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:

(*of which I'm one)

[tangent]
Years ago on a mailing list now far away, you could request the listserver to send the FAQ for the list. The command was 'get anglican-faq'.

Every now and again somebody would slip and send the request to the list rather than to the server. And it seemed that every time somebody made the mistake, they would also make the second mistake, and ask to 'get anglican-fag'.

This was the source of some hilarity...
[/tangent]
b.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If someone would like directions to the church in question, please contact me by PM.

--------------------
I used to know some of the answers, then they changed the questions.

Posts: 588 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

How about directions for the church in question? [Snigger]

--------------------

SearchingForAbsolutes
Shipmate
# 11966

- Posted      Profile for SearchingForAbsolutes   Email SearchingForAbsolutes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
An interesting point is when bad things happen (a.k.a. children dying in a bus crash), Phelps & Co. are there in a hurry 'cause "God is punishing the unrighteous", but when bad things happen to the WBC (i.e. bombings, acts of violence toward them) they're considered to be "attacks" from the sinful world.

B'golly gosh, yuh think he might jest be tryin' ta git attention?

Anyway, here's a great video of a faux-news reporter hitting on Fred Phelps Jr. It's definitely worth a view.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZPsTM-4qgg

--------------------
In pursuit of pure, virtuous justice, whatever that means.

"And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins/When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins..." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 117 | From: Just North-East of The Centre of the Universe | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Anyway, here's a great video of a faux-news reporter hitting on Fred Phelps Jr. It's definitely worth a view.

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, the Phelps have been picketed in the past and all it did was give them more fodder for their hatred. It also made the group more newsworthy and that is the last thing they needed. Personally, having seen them in action on a daily basis since they began picketing, more attention is the last thing they need. From what I hear, they are also very controlling about who is allowed to join them for worship. You may have to undergo close scrutiny before they will allow you in their services. If anyone wants directions on how to find their church, I would be more than happy to give directions on getting there. As for me, no way on earth you would ever find me darkening their door. PM me for directions.

--------------------
My cooking blog: http://inthekitchenwithdon.blogspot.com/

Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
If I remember the story correctly he did, although I don't know if he ate it. (And me too; I love f*g Newtons)

Repent sinner! Don't you know that God Hates F*gs? [Razz]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
Originally posted by SearchingForAbsolutes:

That's rather satisfying to watch [Killing me] - particularly when he runs to hide behind his wife. [Killing me]

Maybe if a bunch of people were recruited to hit on Phelps and his wife whenever they're out picketing, they might be put off it a bit. [Snigger]

[ 28. November 2006, 10:24: Message edited by: luvanddaisies ]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:

Repent sinner! Don't you know that God Hates F*gs? [Razz]
No - He loves the smoker, hates the cigarettes!

[ 28. November 2006, 11:25: Message edited by: leo ]

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:

Repent sinner! Don't you know that God Hates F*gs?
Remember what Jesus did to the f*g tree....

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

Refresh my memory - split them open and grilled them lightly with a dash of honey and served it up with homemade vanilla bean ice cream?

Because that's what I do, and I do so try to emulate Christ in all my doings.

--------------------

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

what, you eat the whole tree? [Eek!]
Burn the heretic [Mad]

--------------------

SearchingForAbsolutes
Shipmate
# 11966

- Posted      Profile for SearchingForAbsolutes   Email SearchingForAbsolutes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
LINK

Found another gem! A Norwegian radio station does a little prank on Big Freddy himself. They call him and play a (quite obvious) prerecorded tape of questions, but Fred starts with his preaching and doesn't even notice (even when the audio starts repeating itself and malfunctions!).

[Are you sure that link name was long enough?]

[ 30. November 2006, 03:07: Message edited by: RooK ]

--------------------
In pursuit of pure, virtuous justice, whatever that means.

"And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins/When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins..." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 117 | From: Just North-East of The Centre of the Universe | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Maybe if a bunch of people were recruited to hit on Phelps and his wife whenever they're out picketing, they might be put off it a bit. [Snigger]

It would be funny, but I wouldn't recommend it.

IIRC, Matthew Shephard's murder was triggered by hitting on (?) a straight man in a bar. I'm NOT in any way, shape, or form blaming Matthew. Just saying that the proposed action could be very dangerous.

And I suspect that Fred is mentally ill, deeply closeted, possibly an abuse survivor, or some combination of the three. If someone pushed his buttons by hitting on him...
[Eek!]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016