homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread (Page 13)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread
Sandemaniac
Shipmate
# 12829

- Posted      Profile for Sandemaniac   Email Sandemaniac   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Snigger]

I like that a lot!

AG

--------------------
"It becomes soon pleasantly apparent that change-ringing is by no means merely an excuse for beer" Charles Dickens gets it wrong, 1869

Posts: 3574 | From: The wardrobe of my soul | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
Will the U.K. actually let them in?

They are already here. According to one newspaper, they travelled here in separate little groups on different flights over a period of time.

I don't know hpw they smuggled their little banners and placards in but I expect the airports agreed with their message about fags since the smoking ban came in.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Adeodatus
Shipmate
# 4992

- Posted      Profile for Adeodatus     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now you mention it, leo, they'd be a really useful addition to the smoking cessation service I have contacts with.

[ 18. February 2009, 13:20: Message edited by: Adeodatus ]

Posts: 9779 | From: Manchester | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:

They are already here. According to one newspaper, they travelled here in separate little groups on different flights over a period of time. [...]
Have you got a link, leo?

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

Posts: 7354 | From: The Isles of Silly | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

- Posted      Profile for Wesley J   Email Wesley J   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Oh dear! Q&As with the Torygraph... - well, not so much "As" as "ass". [Disappointed]

--------------------
Be it as it may: Wesley J will stay. --- Euthanasia, that sounds good. An alpine neutral neighbourhood. Then back to Britain, all dressed in wood. Things were gonna get worse. (John Cooper Clarke)

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don't know hpw they smuggled their little banners and placards in but I expect the airports agreed with their message about fags since the smoking ban came in.

Heh. fabulous. there's got to be some way of incorporating the anti-smoking message.

can't you just see it? "No Smoking in this Church. God Hates Fags!"
[Snigger]

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
Oh dear! Q&As with the Torygraph... - well, not so much "As" as "ass". [Disappointed]

Wonderful! Even ALL in capitals, in green ink on pages torn from exercise books it could not read more barking and frothing at the mouth than it does it that.

I might have gone to a counter-picket but the event is at Basingstoke. [Projectile]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Qoheleth.

Semi-Sagacious One
# 9265

- Posted      Profile for Qoheleth.   Email Qoheleth.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
I might have gone to a counter-picket but the event is at Basingstoke.

Anyone fancy an impromptu Shipmeet on the picket lines?

[Snigger]

--------------------
The Benedictine Community at Alton Abbey offers a friendly, personal service for the exclusive supply of Rosa Mystica incense.

Posts: 2532 | From: the radiator of life | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hiro's Leap

Shipmate
# 12470

- Posted      Profile for Hiro's Leap   Email Hiro's Leap   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Wonderful!

It's brilliant. I love how she can write...
quote:
And what will you do when you all land in hell FOR EVER where the worm that eats on you NEVER dies and the fire is NEVER quenched and the smoke of your torment ascends up for ever and ever and ever and ever and ever - never ending
...and then sign off with the cheery little:
quote:
Thanks for asking!

Shirley Phelps-Roper

Posts: 3418 | From: UK, OK | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Great Gumby

Ship's Brain Surgeon
# 10989

- Posted      Profile for The Great Gumby   Author's homepage   Email The Great Gumby   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's just too funny. There's so much brilliant comedy. The Obama=antichrist schtick is rubber-walls loony, but it's been done to death. And I want to know who the "UNREPINENTANT" is, and why the poor guy has to be sent to hell for ever.

But my favourite has to be the random mention of our "goofy queen", which in correspondence with the Torygraph has to go down as a pretty good way of shooting yourself in the foot, followed by an exclamation of "YIKES" which looks so out of place I had to read it several times over.

--------------------
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. - Richard Feynman

A letter to my son about death

Posts: 5382 | From: Home for shot clergy spouses | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Great Gumby:
That's just too funny. There's so much brilliant comedy. The Obama=antichrist schtick is rubber-walls loony, but it's been done to death. And I want to know who the "UNREPINENTANT" is, and why the poor guy has to be sent to hell for ever.

Aw shucks, Gumby got there first. I wanted to be the first to express my delight at being an UNREPINENTANT Brit [Biased]

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Earwig

Pincered Beastie
# 12057

- Posted      Profile for Earwig   Author's homepage   Email Earwig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My favourite bit is
quote:
The God Smacks are HIS WORK!
. Yum. I'd eat God Smacks every morning!
Posts: 3120 | From: Yorkshire | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged
Robert Armin

All licens'd fool
# 182

- Posted      Profile for Robert Armin     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well it seems like Fred and Shirley have been banned. Don't know about the rest of them.

As I said on the Wilder thread I'm quite happy to see this happen. Our own home-grown idiots should have freedom of speech, and be dealt with through discussion not suppression. But I see no reason to import idiots from abroad; it isn't as though we are suffering from a national shortage after all.

--------------------
Keeping fit was an obsession with Fr Moity .... He did chin ups in the vestry, calisthenics in the pulpit, and had developed a series of Tai-Chi exercises to correspond with ritual movements of the Mass. The Antipope Robert Rankin

Posts: 8927 | From: In the pack | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wesley J:
quote:
quote:

They are already here. According to one newspaper, they travelled here in separate little groups on different flights over a period of time. [...]
Have you got a link, leo?
I think it was a link from Ecclesia's website but I have deleted it.
Wesley J

Silly Shipmate
# 6075

No worries.

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Found it - in yesterday's independent:

The group yesterday claimed it had secretly dispatched followers to the UK to avoid being denied entry to the country under Britain’s anti-hate laws.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/coming-to-britain-church-with-a-mission-to-demonise-homosexuals-1624883.html

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

pete173
Shipmate
# 4622

- Posted      Profile for pete173   Author's homepage   Email pete173   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Much as I dislike the Government's use of banning orders, I think on this occasion Jacqui Smith has got it right. And I don't rate the chances of the infiltrators...

--------------------
Pete

Posts: 1653 | From: Kilburn, London NW6 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I don't know hpw they smuggled their little banners and placards in...

I'd imagine that if they have enough money to fly here and stay in a hotel here they probably have enough to pop round to Ryman's and buy a few sheets of A3 and some felt-tip pens.

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
ken
Ship's Roundhead
# 2460

- Posted      Profile for ken     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think whoever wrote that hilarious stuff in the Telegraph was taking the piss.

If you remember those TV documentaries about the Phelpses last year (or was it the year before) they may have been nasty but they certainly were neither illiterate nor stupid. And they were capable of making and taking jokes about themselves. (Which seemed to confuse the documentary makers who didn't expect it). I wonder if one of them thought "the British press is going to mock us and try to crucify us anyway, lets give them something to be mad about"

--------------------
Ken

L’amor che move il sole e l’altre stelle.

Posts: 39579 | From: London | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, at least Phred and daughter Shirley have been barred from entering the country.

And I love the idea that every member has
quote:
Property of WBC
tattooed on their backsides - that's what she said! How bizarre!!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry - missed the Daily Telegraph entry above about the banning and too late to edit.

But at least the BBC report does give the Phelpses' response.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jahlove
Tied to the mast
# 10290

- Posted      Profile for Jahlove   Email Jahlove   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Expanding a little on TonyK's comment,

quote:
"Unless they intend to begin checking the bare backsides of every person coming into that country to find that tattoo that says 'Property of WBC' - they will have no way of identifying who is from WBC."
since bare backsides are, apparently, what causes Earthquakes, Moral Degeneration and Other Diuerse Ills, I really am wondering if the WBC isn't a long-running piece of Po-Mo Performance Art?

--------------------
“Sing like no one's listening, love like you've never been hurt, dance like nobody's watching, and live like its heaven on earth.” - Mark Twain

Posts: 6477 | From: Alice's Restaurant (UK Franchise) | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jenn.
Shipmate
# 5239

- Posted      Profile for Jenn.   Email Jenn.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
http://www.godhatestheworld.com/unitedkingdom/government.html

You gotta love 'em. They are very entertaining. Completely batshit crazy of course, but very funny!

Posts: 2282 | From: England | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:

You gotta love 'em. They are very entertaining. Completely batshit crazy of course, but very funny!

quote:
This just in - Westboro Baptst Churh has been banned from the UK by their filthy government!
Don't you think they'd be able to spell "Baptist" and "Church"?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Jenn.:

Hmmm...noting the pic in the upper right corner of that page, I wonder if the Beatles could sue them?
[Smile]

I see that this site is much calmer--visually, anyway--than their original GHF site. The front page of this site is...interesting. You click on a map to see what God hates about a particular country. Some countries, like Iceland, don't have anything yet. Perhaps Iceland is pure in God's eyes?
[Biased]

Now to clean those links from my poor computer! Good 'puter, nice 'puter.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
"Unless they intend to begin checking the bare backsides of every person coming into that country to find that tattoo that says 'Property of WBC' - they will have no way of identifying who is from WBC."
Well, I suspect since most of the church membership related to Rev. Phelps, and membership hasn't expanded much past Kansas, that it will be a simple matter.

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
Some countries, like Iceland, don't have anything yet. Perhaps Iceland is pure in God's eyes?
[Biased]

Now to clean those links from my poor computer! Good 'puter, nice 'puter.

Perhaps they think Iceland's a supermarket?

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Hmmm...noting the pic in the upper right corner of that page, I wonder if the Beatles could sue them?
The picture on this page is even better ...
Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
uffda
Shipmate
# 14310

- Posted      Profile for uffda   Email uffda   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Apparently these vultures are headed to Buffalo to picket the funerals of the plane crash victims.One of our Lutheran Churches just near the crash site is holding a community service on Sunday and they are targeted to be picketed.

Just what these poor families need.

--------------------
Invincibly ignorant and planning to stay that way!

Posts: 1031 | From: Buffalo, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Jestocost:
The picture on this page is even better ...

An odd illustration for an article on "buggery" -- but a great picture.
[Killing me]

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Wouldn't this make a great Monty Python sketch?
[Snigger] [Killing me]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

quote:
quote:
Wouldn't this make a great Monty Python sketch?
[Snigger] [Killing me]

Especially if they come across someone with three buttocks.

--------------------
~Tortuf

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

My Basingstoke frieds tell me that there were no protests on Friday.

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Anyone know if the Phelps tribe were the ones picketing the Oscars? Sean Penn was almost gentle with the protesters. He just said they they were sad and ought to trade in their hate cards.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

quote:
My Basingstoke frieds tell me that there were no protests on Friday.

Correction - one turned up according to http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7903344.stm

--------------------

Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to our local paper today, yes the clan were present at the Oscar ceremony yesterday. It was reported that the clan did not think that Sean Penn had much understanding of the bible. [Disappointed]

[ 24. February 2009, 02:32: Message edited by: Frustrated Farmer ]

Posts: 588 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post 
These people bring disgrace on the Christian community, for all of 10 seconds .People KNOW they aren't representative of the believing community . Unless you are narrow minded prig.
I used to be and had to grow up!!!!!!

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyda*Rose:
Anyone know if the Phelps tribe were the ones picketing the Oscars? Sean Penn was almost gentle with the protesters. He just said they they were sad and ought to trade in their hate cards.

"...for those who saw the signs of hatred as our cars drove in tonight, I think that it is a good time for those who voted for the ban against gay marriage to sit and reflect and anticipate their great shame and the shame in their grandchildren's eyes if they continue that way of support."

Tough words, but you're right, his delivery was very gentle.

Boy. Who'd 'a thunk little Sean Penn would have grown up to be such a mensch? [Tear]

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lord Jestocost
Shipmate
# 12909

- Posted      Profile for Lord Jestocost   Email Lord Jestocost   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, the Westboro people are probably the only people on the planet who can have Basingstoke and LA in their diaries in the same week. Surely some kind of achievement?

A nice picture at punditkitchen.com sums it up well.

Posts: 761 | From: The Instrumentality of Man | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
Petrified

Ship’s ballast
# 10667

- Posted      Profile for Petrified   Email Petrified   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I see (from their site) they are planning pickets after the shootings in Germany and USA.
Could someone buy them a speel cheker.

--------------------
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.
SoF a "prick against Bigotterie"

Posts: 540 | From: UK | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

No, leave the misspellings. They give us something to laugh at in Westboro's work. The rest is sickness and tragedy.

--------------------

Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

... Some countries, like Iceland, don't have anything yet. Perhaps Iceland is pure in God's eyes? [Biased]

I'm sure it is, but the Phelpsists won't think so when they read this.

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
So, the fundy we all love to hate is threatening to come to the UK next Friday, so that he can picket a primary school. This is despite being banned from entering the country a month or so ago.

Just thought any locals'd like to know. [Smile]

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Hmmmm...perhaps he'll be stopped at the airport as a security threat?
[Big Grin]

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't have a link for this but I've been told that somewhere in their press releases Fred and Co. say they are planning on picketing Nataha Richardson's funeral. Because she was a supporter of gay rights.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Cantiones Sacrae
Shipmate
# 12774

- Posted      Profile for Cantiones Sacrae   Email Cantiones Sacrae   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
I don't have a link for this but I've been told that somewhere in their press releases Fred and Co. say they are planning on picketing Nataha Richardson's funeral. Because she was a supporter of gay rights.

Here (not suitable for work!)
Posts: 271 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

Perhaps Phelps & co. could be put on a tiny, uninhabited island somewhere? They could raise their own food, etc., and not have to deal with the rest of the world.

Alternatively, give a working light saber to Liam Neesen, Natasha's widower. He played Q'uigon in one of the "Star Wars" movies...

[Votive]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Disappointed]

Boy, am I sorry I read that flyer.

No pun intended, but by their fruits shall you know them. Anybody who could work up that kind of hatred and verbal abuse for that graceful woman is just really looking for ways to poison the good things God has given us.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
What I have noticed about the Phelps MO is that they have built up a reputation such that they only have to threaten to show up (and perhaps still make some half-hearted plans to do so) and they get tons of publicity, which includes photos of their members holding signs with their "God hates Fags" message and also links (or at least enough info) to lead people to their websites, etc.

The bottom line is that they maintain an incredible level of name recognition. And as many a politician can tell you (including me - I just got elected Town Treasurer without doing anything except putting my name on the ballot), name recognition is important.

Unfortunately in this day of Google-type searches, even this thread adds to their public presence and serves their purpose.

And the Devil's win is that by posting to somthing to oppose them, you keep it active and by ignoring it you can't pass along accurate or useful information.

Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

According to http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-11826.html , 'Members of the US Westboro Baptist Church, who chant slogans such as "fags burn in hell", have unintentionally raised money for a gay rights group.'

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13  14  15  16  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016