homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread (Page 14)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread
Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known
Shipmate
# 11399

- Posted      Profile for Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Email Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
According to http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-11826.html , 'Members of the US Westboro Baptist Church, who chant slogans such as "fags burn in hell", have unintentionally raised money for a gay rights group.'

REALLY???
[Eek!]

Posts: 1833 | From: Manila, Philippines | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
According to http://www.pinknews.co.uk/news/articles/2005-11826.html , 'Members of the US Westboro Baptist Church, who chant slogans such as "fags burn in hell", have unintentionally raised money for a gay rights group.'

So even the Devil can do the Lord's work.

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that even the most avid evildoer will find out in the long run that they can't really interefere with God's work. The problem with God's work is that it usually happens at a glacial pace, whereas evil is better at quick and flashy.

IMHO, of course.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Amen, Kelly.

I have heard that 1) having a fundraiser and 2) letting them know about it* is a great way for them to "remember urgent appointments elsewhere".

(As Jennifer says, a lot of it is bluffing to get publicity.)

I will remember phelps-a-thon.com in case they threaten to show their face locally again. (They backed out of a Laramie Project staging around here last fall to go to Hawaii and "picket" Madelyn Dunham's funeral.)

* you don't even really have to write them. My experience is that they are in very close contact with the local police so you could pass the message along through them.

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Straight from my local newspaper

http://www.cjonline.com/opinion/2009-05-05/column_phelps%E2%80%99_estranged_son_raises_questions_about_atheism

--------------------
I used to know some of the answers, then they changed the questions.

Posts: 588 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Farmer, your link is broken.

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Phreddies, amongst others, are on the British government's "You Are Not Welcome Here" list.

A spokesman for the Muslim Council of Britain says that people should be free to enter Britain, whatever their views, and I agree; their views are no concern of mine. When however, their views have been expressed in such a way as to make it likely that they will cause any disturbance, they I think the government should be able to keep people out.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Try this to get to the Topeka Capital-Journal article cited by Frustrated Farmer.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sorry about the link. I am not particularly savvy about a lot of computer tasks. [Frown]
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't have a link, but if I'm not mistaken, Fred and Co were picketting the funeral of the abortion doctor that was recently murdered.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jack the Lass

Ship's airhead
# 3415

- Posted      Profile for Jack the Lass   Author's homepage   Email Jack the Lass   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

New of another Phelps-a-thon here.

--------------------
"My body is a temple - it's big and doesn't move." (Jo Brand)
wiblog blipfoto blog

Posts: 5767 | From: the land of the deep-fried Mars Bar | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Dogwalker
Shipmate
# 14135

- Posted      Profile for Dogwalker   Email Dogwalker   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WBC in Vermont

They showed up in Vermont to protest the start of same-sex marriages there.

(Vermont was first, I think, with civil unions. This year the legislature passed a same-sex marriage act.)

--------------------
If God had meant for us to fly, he wouldn't have given us the railways. - Unknown

Posts: 155 | From: Milford, MA, USA | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sgk:
WBC in Vermont

They showed up in Vermont to protest the start of same-sex marriages there.

(Vermont was first, I think, with civil unions. This year the legislature passed a same-sex marriage act.)

Well done Vermont and well done those that raised the money to support Gay Rights groups! The Phelps contribution to raising awareness of the issues continues to grow.

--------------------

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Wiff Waff:
The Phelps contribution to raising awareness of the issues continues to grow.

that Phreddy. he's just such a giver.

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
DagonSlaveII
Shipmate
# 15162

- Posted      Profile for DagonSlaveII     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They get their money though suing anyone who physically retaliates against them.

I actually got to watch one of their protests in person, when I went to Nicholls S U ... it was a mere handful of protesters and well over 300 students, at any given time. One was a small child. The students chanted "Save the Kid!" ...and no one laid a finger on them. I think I skipped a class to watch it. I love trainwrecks.

--------------------
Thanks for all the prayers for my not-yet-family. Please continue to pray for my future Brother-in-law's mum, she is still in the hospital, although doing better.

Posts: 138 | From: Houma | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
My city has two reasons to be on the Phelps-a-Thon .

Thursday 9/24 the Phelps crowd will be picketing outside one of our high schools where the play The Laramie Project will be performed. And they will also be making an appearance at the Jewish Community Center on the same day.

Many of us are trying to get local folks to contribute to the phelps-a-thon rather than provoke anything with angry counter rallies.

A student from the school stood up in church on Sunday and asked for prayers because they are nervous, but the play will go on.

sabine

[ 21. September 2009, 21:52: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------
"Hunger looks like the man that hunger is killing." Eduardo Galeano

Posts: 5887 | From: the US Heartland | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just read in my local paper that Phelps and co will be in Great Neck, Long Island this Friday (9/25) but the article didn't say what they were picketing (it was actually about local government's request to the public to ignore them as much as possible). I'm slightly puzzled, I can't think of anything I've heard about that would attract their attention in these parts recently, and I don't want to go to their website to look. Anyone know what's up?

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I don't know what's up, Nicole, but I would just like to point out that your post was number 666!

[Eek!]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

If you follow sabine's link then Great Neck is mentioned 6 times on the Phelps-a-thon page - what a busy lot of little Phelpses they are going to be!

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

p.s. the whole thing that day appears to be quite heavily anti-semitic.

eta: do you think we could get Mossad to quietly bump them all off?

[ 22. September 2009, 15:04: Message edited by: Wiff Waff ]

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

- Posted      Profile for sabine   Email sabine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, if you want a confrontation (and we are hoping not to have one here), our JCC has the best fitness facility in town. Lots of people in great shape....just sayin' -- not really intending to incite. [Smile]

sabine

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

My goodness, I should have checked out that link long ago. It seems like they're going to be in Flushing, right next door to me, that day too. What a pity I have to be with my husband at the hospital while he has a hernia operation and I can't be there to counter protest. [Frown]

Oh yeah, I noticed the 666 number after I posted, PeteC. [Eek!]

--------------------

sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

FYI, the Phelps-a-Thon web site will gather contributions toward organizations related to the Phelps hate list in each town and then....

...send a courteous thank you note to the Phelps crowd indicating how much was contributed and thanking them for the opportunity to raise funds. [Two face]

sabine

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
for any shipmates planning to counter-rally - I want pictures!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
for any shipmates planning to counter-rally - I want pictures!

The two target groups in my city have requested no counter-protests and have suggested, instead, that folks donate to the Phelps-a-Thon web site which will then direct the donations to local organizations.

Of course, there will probably be some people who counter-protest anyway, and if there is a picture on any of our media web sites, I'll post it.

sabine

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
A friend of mine just told me this evening that she's going to be in 'The Laramie Project' and that someone mentioned the possibility of some wacko minister showing up. I told her about the Phelps-a-Thon website -- she was delighted with the idea and asked me to send her the link, which I did.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

There was almost a complete media shut-out of Phelps et. al. here in Indy. Good, don't give them any attention.

I haven't been able to find out if any counter-protesters showed up or not. The school and community center asked that no one counter protest.

sabine

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Here's a link to an article about them here on Long Island today, including a link to some pictures of both the Phelps bunch and counter protestors.

Article here

--------------------

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
There was almost a complete media shut-out of Phelps et. al. here in Indy. Good, don't give them any attention.

I haven't been able to find out if any counter-protesters showed up or not. The school and community center asked that no one counter protest.

sabine

I'm beginning to think that way about the Phelpsians. "No reaction - no satisfaction".

Works with whiny kids, and that's the Phelpsian level of debate.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
Here's a link to an article about them here on Long Island today, including a link to some pictures of both the Phelps bunch and counter protestors.

Article here

Following that link gave me the abbreviated heading
quote:
Westboro group's anti-gay, anti-Jew demons...
That about sums it up!

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Tony K, that's odd, when I click on it it takes me to the article and pictures, and it's not that I'm registered with the site or anything. Are you sure you let it load fully, and scrolled down? [Confused]

edited because of silly typos.

[ 26. September 2009, 19:48: Message edited by: Nicolemrw ]

--------------------

TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Nicolemrw - I'm having no trouble seeing the article - it's just that the heading (next to the Favourites icon in my V8 Internet Explorer) has this appropriate abbreviation for 'demonstration'.

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

Tony K, Oh OK, misunderstanding straightened out. Yes, that is particularly appropriate somehow.

--------------------

HenryT

Canadian Anglican
# 3722

- Posted      Profile for HenryT   Author's homepage   Email HenryT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I just ponied up $30 to the Phelps-a-thon. Money well spent. Fred, God loves you. But I think He's less than pleased with your behaviour. Remember that thing about not taking Christians to court? And love and charity with your neighbours?

--------------------
"Perhaps an invincible attachment to the dearest rights of man may, in these refined, enlightened days, be deemed old-fashioned" P. Henry, 1788

Posts: 7231 | From: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
ToujoursDan

Ship's prole
# 10578

- Posted      Profile for ToujoursDan   Email ToujoursDan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good old Phred ended up making an appearance in neighbourhood for Yom Kippur. Literally right around the corner from where I live is the Kane Street Synagogue, which in the Conservative stream but has called female rabbis and does gay and lesbian commitment ceremonies.

He was out there for a few hours telling them that God really hates Jews and holding awful signs like "Thank God for the Holocaust" but they just ignored him and he left.

New York Daily News: Kansas Hate Group gives Brooklyn Synagogues flak

[ 30. September 2009, 17:31: Message edited by: ToujoursDan ]

--------------------
"Many people say I embarrass them with my humility" - Archbishop Peter Akinola
Facebook link: http://www.facebook.com/toujoursdan

Posts: 3734 | From: NYC | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The Jeremy Kyle Show - which basically exploits dysfunctional families in the UK, ran a repeat of an interview with 3 of the women yesterday.

It was amusing to hear them misquote scripture.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TaliessinC
Apprentice
# 14234

- Posted      Profile for TaliessinC   Email TaliessinC   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They are invading Southern California with a vengeance in a week or so. Looking at their picketing schedule it looks like someone said "hey, while we're there hating the Jews, lets toss the dice and decide on a few schools and Christian fellowships to harass!" Weird.

Any idea why they are so ... obsessively vile?

Posts: 35 | From: United States | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged
sabine
Shipmate
# 3861

quote:
Originally posted by TaliessinC:

fear-based hate, I'd think, with some frustration and perhaps a bit of thought disturbance thrown in.

sabine

[ 12. October 2009, 20:36: Message edited by: sabine ]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by sabine:
quote:
Originally posted by TaliessinC:

fear-based hate, I'd think, with some frustration and perhaps a bit of thought disturbance thrown in.

sabine

...or they are all completely mental!

As a Quaker I believe that they have "that of God" within them, but some folks hide it better than others.

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I saw a TV listing for a recent episode of "Supernanny", where Jo was going to work with..."the Phelps family". If only! But I wouldn't wish that on Jo.

[Paranoid] [Help] [Two face]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

Just so we do not forget these individuals are still amongst us, while Mrs. Farmer and I were walking into church last Saturday evening, the clan was busy standing across the street holding their signs. [Disappointed]

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you get picketed by the Phelpes, then you must be doing something right.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

I am not skilled in providing links, but this article was in the local paper this evening:

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2009-12-07/phelps_roper_loses_appeal

Shirley lost her appeal today in Nebraska on flag desecration charges.

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Talk about mixed feelings. Still I don't think we need to be making laws like that about the flag, even if I'd like to see one of the Phelpses get tagged for it.

Did you see the name of their lawyer? I wonder if he goes to their church.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Frustrated Farmer:
I am not skilled in providing links, but this article was in the local paper this evening:

http://cjonline.com/news/local/2009-12-07/phelps_roper_loses_appeal

Shirley lost her appeal today in Nebraska on flag desecration charges.

"In this country, the law is you can burn a flag, stand on it, destroy it to make your point," said Shirley Phelps-Roper.

This Brit has picked up enough to know that things vary from state to state, and it looks to my untutored eye that Shirley Phelps-Roper has fallen foul of a Nebraskan law. So her understanding of man's law is as accurate as her understanding of scripture. Big deal. Anyone surprised?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

Can she get life in a padded cell on a mere misdemanour charge?

--------------------

Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

I thought the Supremes had ruled that flag desecration laws were unconstitutional? [Confused]

--------------------

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

quote:
Originally posted by Nicolemrw:
I thought the Supremes had ruled that flag desecration laws were unconstitutional? [Confused]

Perhaps Diana Ross disagreed...

Sorry, I'll go away again.

--------------------

Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I brought this forward so more general sightings could be recorded...

I am such an [Angel]

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Readers of the prayer thread will recall the suicide of a young member of my parish -- one of four last year at the same railroad crossing by people from the same high school.

There was another death there a couple of days ago, and now the Branch Fred Phelpsians have announced that they're coming to the school.

There's a fundraiser for the school's GLBT alliance to go with the planned protest. If you're so disposed, take a look.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016