homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread (Page 19)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Gee D:
Are the Big Girl Panties of the same material as the Supreme Bourt briefs?

I suspect the Supreme Court briefs have a much higher lawyer-per-square-inch count.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I greatly value the First Amendment; I disagree vehemently with Cass Sunstein and others of his ilk who would chip away at it by selectively banning certain kinds of commercial speech. (And I'll bet he's Obama's next nominee for the Supreme Court.) But...

But surely there is no right to harass private individuals on this scale. And just because the target of that hideous harassment speaks to the press about said harassment, he is hardly a "public figure" - or nobody will have any privacy protections left at all.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Posts: 15117 | From: Valhalla | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Please forgive me if this post is too purgatorial, but I have been thinking about the issues of freedom of speech a bit lately and I was wondering something.

It seems to me that most Americans understand the First Amendment to protect the freedom to say what you like, where you like, whenever you like. This seems (to me, at least) to lead directly to issues like the Phelps gang 'picketing' funerals whilst believing that the Constitution protects their right to do so. But how about an alternative interpretation. Say instead that the First Amendment enables the freedom to say what you like somewhere and at some time, but not necessarily everywhere and at all times. To put it another way, everyone must have a forum to put their views forward, but it is acknowledged that some places and times are not appropriate for some kinds of discourse.

If this interpretation was used, then Phelps would be free to arrange as many rallies as he likes and use whatever horrible words he wants, but not (for example) when it impacts the grieving of the family of a serviceman. Actually, this interpretation goes further: It says that an appropriate forum must be given to Phelps although it acknowledges that some circumstances will be off limits.

Of course, the obvious criticism of this interpretation is that it is going to be very difficult to come up with a consistent way of drawing the line between appropriate times and places and inappropriate ones. But that's what the US has the Supreme Court for, right?

So what do you think? Could this interpretation provide any clarity in this kind of situation?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
IF, that would be true... except there's already some limits. The most famous of which is the Fire Test, which says if saying something could cause injury, such as shouting FIRE in a crowded theater, then it is restricted speech. Another example of restricted speech is threats of violence with intent to carry them out, which is why if you ever threaten the President of the United States, you will shortly be visited by Secret Service agents who will ask you very pointed questions.

(Man, there are some days I wish I'd stuck with law school and become a Constitutional lawyer like I planned)

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I knew about the example of shouting fire in a crowded theater, but didn't realize it was specifically to do with the possibility of causing injury. Which leads to the obvious question: how widely is 'injury' defined; and specifically: does the anguish of the family and friends of the dead soldiers count?

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Janine

The Endless Simmer
# 3337

- Posted      Profile for Janine   Email Janine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know, if they made a church project out of tenderly providing Jesus-infused Hospice care for indigent dying AIDS patients, maybe-just-maybe people would give them a hearing if they wanted to calmly and reasonably hold forth on why they understand God to deliver time-framed punishment based on U.S. indulgence in and of homosexuality.

Maybe they're living out a twisted watchman-on-the-wall mentality. You know, if you warn people about the danger out there, and they ignore you, well then, you've done your bit, their blood isn't on your hands. That passage is supposed to impress on the "watchman" that he has a responsibility to God and to his people, not supply the "watchman" with an excuse to abusively shout out his own emphasis on a part of God's message then walk away, righteously relieved of his responsibility toward both God and man.

--------------------
I'm a Fundagelical Evangimentalist. What are you?
Take Me Home * My Heart * An hour with Rich Mullins *

Posts: 13788 | From: Below the Bible Belt | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Janine:
You know, if they made a church project out of tenderly providing Jesus-infused Hospice care for indigent dying AIDS patients, maybe-just-maybe people would give them a hearing if they wanted to calmly and reasonably hold forth on why they understand God to deliver time-framed punishment based on U.S. indulgence in and of homosexuality.

As far as I know providing care would be based on the Gospel while the second, linking war dead to government policy, just isn't.

The problem is that plenty of churches provide hospice care and do good in other ways, but they don't make the news. Other bodies have even campaigned against legalisation of homosexuality without being as unpleasant as the Phreddies. That doesn't make the news either.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lou Poulain
Shipmate
# 1587

- Posted      Profile for Lou Poulain   Email Lou Poulain   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's not the "watchman on the wall" attitude. It's rather the attitude of being spectators with a vested interest in seeing AND TAKING PLEASURE OR SATISFACTION in the opponents not just losing, but suffering utter destruction. There is an astonishingly constant meanness that I find incomprehensible.

[ 29. October 2010, 22:37: Message edited by: Lou Poulain ]

Posts: 526 | From: Sunnyvale CA USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

- Posted      Profile for PaulBC         Edit/delete post 
They show Christian Compassion. And that lies at thr root of the faith. Their sopeech SHOULD NOT be protected it is hateful a long the lines of some of the rascist statements of the KKK and their speech too should not be protected.

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

Posts: 873 | From: Victoria B.C. Canada | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged
Stetson
Shipmate
# 9597

- Posted      Profile for Stetson     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
It's not the "watchman on the wall" attitude. It's rather the attitude of being spectators with a vested interest in seeing AND TAKING PLEASURE OR SATISFACTION in the opponents not just losing, but suffering utter destruction. There is an astonishingly constant meanness that I find incomprehensible.

I think it's pretty pointless to discuss Fred Phelps' relation to Christian culture and philosophy, even the conservative kind he claims to represent.

Here's what I think happened with his group...

He probably started out genuinely opposing the gay-rights movement. Somewhere along the way, however, he got the isolated idea to picket a funeral. This garnered a lot of virulent media attention, which quickly went to Fred's head. It also had a rallying effect on his church, since he could then say "Look, the whole world hates us! Just like the Bible says they would!" So, from then on, picketting funerals became his preferred means of public demonstration.

If you look at the funerals he pickets(military, the murdered Amish kids etc), it's pretty clear that he chooses his targets not according to how pro-gay they are, but according to how much outrage the picketting will provoke among the general public.

If someone were to do an in-depth, behind-the-scenes analysis of the Phelps sect, I suspect they'd find it has little focus on any traditional Christian concerns(less than even most such groups), and has bascially degenerated into a personality-cult focussed on Fred himself, with a manichean Us Vs. Every Other Single Person On The Planet mentality.

Posts: 6574 | From: back and forth between bible belts | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You may remember the big gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno, California a few weeks ago. Well, like moths to a flame(!) the Westboro loonies came to town the other day to tell us that it happened because of, yes, our tolerance of you-know-what.
quote:

Millbrae, Calif., police say some 70 people turned out for a counterdemonstration against three members of a Topeka, Kan., church, who claimed a recent fatal gas pipeline blast in nearby San Bruno was God's way of taking vengeance on a corrupt city and its wicked people.

Shirley Phelps-Roper of Westboro Baptist Church protested Monday along with her husband and their 8-year-old son. Police Cmdr. Mark Raffaelli says the counter-rally occurred across the street.

Phelps-Roper says the Sept. 9 explosion that killed eight and destroyed dozens of homes was a curse that God placed on the corrupt. She also criticized a nearby high school for accepting gays.

[From here.]
Interesting that they seem to be down to Shirley and her immediate family.

Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If they lived in the UK, I reckon the child Protection people would have taken away the 8yo son a long time ago - parents insane.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
You know...I'd love to see them find some reason to go to Sacramento, CA to protest...perhaps our ongoing tug of war about same-sex marriage?

I'd love to see Jerry Brown, our once and next governor, tear into them verbally. Or even Arnold S., our current governor.
[Snigger]

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

- Posted      Profile for Rossweisse     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
... Or even Arnold S., our current governor.

...as the Terminator.

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

Jon in the Nati
Shipmate
# 15849

- Posted      Profile for Jon in the Nati   Email Jon in the Nati   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I would pay money (serious money, too) to see Arnold get after the Phelps Pholk.

--------------------
Homer: Aww, this isn't about Jesus, is it?
Lovejoy: All things are about Jesus, Homer. Except this.

Posts: 773 | From: Region formerly known as the Biretta Belt | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let's sic Doc Martin from the TV series on them, too!

(Am watching the one that's sort of a take-off on "Whatever Happened To Baby Jane". [Eek!] )

Oh, and Gordon Ramsay, in full US "Hell's Kitchen" mode.

Hmmmm, who else? Should we put together a "Magnificent Seven"?

Comedienne and talk show host Ellen deGeneres has to be in the group.
[Smile]

Other possibilities: Whoopi Goldberg, Judge Judy, the ghost of Molly Ivins. Heck, Matthew Shephard's ghost.
[Votive]

--------------------
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

- Posted      Profile for jlg   Email jlg   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Since Molly Ivins and Ann Richards are no longer with us, I suggest Jim Hightower. Texas, despite producing too many idiot conservatives, sure can dish up great populists.
Posts: 17391 | From: Just a Town, New Hampshire, USA | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
ROTFALMAO!!!!!!

After tires slashed Oklahoma town refuses to help Gods Hates Fags protesters

quote:
Following the protest, the group returned to their minivan to find that the front and rear tires on the passenger side of the vehicle had been slashed.

"To make matters worse, as their minivan slowly hobbled away on two flat tires, with a McAlester police car following behind, the protesters were unable to find anyone in town who would repair their vehicle, according to police," Tulsa World reported.

This after they'd been met by a counter-protest of about a thousand.

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well that's stupid....they should have fixed their tires so they could get out of town as quickly as possible...before sundown preferrably.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Porridge
Shipmate
# 15405

- Posted      Profile for Porridge   Email Porridge   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Imaginary Friend:
. . . But how about an alternative interpretation. Say instead that the First Amendment enables the freedom to say what you like somewhere and at some time, but not necessarily everywhere and at all times. To put it another way, everyone must have a forum to put their views forward, but it is acknowledged that some places and times are not appropriate for some kinds of discourse.

The Phelpses already have a perfectly appropriate forum: they have their own church. From their perspective, I imagine, their church is inadequate to their "forum" needs, because (AIUI) nobody except their own family attends.

One would think that a bit of reflection on this fact -- that nobody wants or listens to their message -- might result in reconsideration of the message content.

But then, we sometimes observe similar phenomena on board the Ship.

--------------------
Spiggott: Everything I've ever told you is a lie, including that.
Moon: Including what?
Spiggott: That everything I've ever told you is a lie.
Moon: That's not true!

Posts: 3925 | From: Upper right corner | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Rossweisse

High Church Valkyrie
# 2349

Here's a heart-warming story of small-town solidarity in the face of Phelpses: Harrisonville, Missouri Gathers To Keep Phelps Protesters From Soldier's Funeral

I would definitely released my daughter from school to take part in that peaceful, life-affirming protest. (And I like the fact that the reporter didn't bother interviewing any of the Westboro loons: this story's not about you nutcases.)

--------------------
I'm not dead yet.

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

I am begiging to that Phelps & co are like North Korea make a bit of noise and get some attention.Spoiled children in other words, with aplogies to all us spoiled children who donm'r rant off. I still wonder where the virtue of charity (love) lays with these folks. [Smile] [Angel]

--------------------
"He has told you O mortal,what is good;and what does the Lord require of youbut to do justice and to love kindness ,and to walk humbly with your God."Micah 6:8

fletcher christian

Mutinous Seadog
# 13919

- Posted      Profile for fletcher christian   Email fletcher christian   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They aren't in any way like North Korea - Kim Jong would be way funnier on youtube videos.

--------------------
'God is love insaturable, love impossible to describe'
Staretz Silouan

Posts: 5235 | From: a prefecture | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
tracyk859
Apprentice
# 16048

- Posted      Profile for tracyk859   Email tracyk859   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
quote:

Anyway, here's a great video of a faux-news reporter hitting on Fred Phelps Jr. It's definitely worth a view.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZPsTM-4qgg

[Killing me] [Killing me] [Killing me]
Such a very amazing link!
Thanks for the post.

orfeo

Ship's Musical Counterpoint
# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by basso:
You may remember the big gas pipeline explosion in San Bruno, California a few weeks ago. Well, like moths to a flame(!) the Westboro loonies came to town the other day to tell us that it happened because of, yes, our tolerance of you-know-what.
quote:

Millbrae, Calif., police say some 70 people turned out for a counterdemonstration against three members of a Topeka, Kan., church, who claimed a recent fatal gas pipeline blast in nearby San Bruno was God's way of taking vengeance on a corrupt city and its wicked people.

Shirley Phelps-Roper of Westboro Baptist Church protested Monday along with her husband and their 8-year-old son. Police Cmdr. Mark Raffaelli says the counter-rally occurred across the street.

Phelps-Roper says the Sept. 9 explosion that killed eight and destroyed dozens of homes was a curse that God placed on the corrupt. She also criticized a nearby high school for accepting gays.

[From here.]
Interesting that they seem to be down to Shirley and her immediate family.

One of these days, some accident is going to befall a member of the Phelps clan. And at that point in time, I will pity them as they try to come up with an explanation as to why it happened.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

Posts: 18173 | From: Under | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by orfeo:
One of these days, some accident is going to befall a member of the Phelps clan. And at that point in time, I will pity them as they try to come up with an explanation as to why it happened.

You are a much better Christian than I am.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
orfeo

# 13878

- Posted      Profile for orfeo   Author's homepage   Email orfeo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I'm not thinking of pity as terribly warm emotion on this occasion. It will be like watching a dumb animal suffer.

--------------------
Technology has brought us all closer together. Turns out a lot of the people you meet as a result are complete idiots.

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by mousethief:

I'm not thinking of pity as terribly warm emotion on this occasion. It will be like watching a dumb animal suffer.
Well okay, I've never enjoyed watching animals suffer. Although I've despatched any number of fish with a truncheon.

--------------------

Marvin the Martian

Interplanetary
# 4360

- Posted      Profile for Marvin the Martian     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

Personally, I'm imagining the size of the protest at old Phred's funeral when he finally packs it in. Give 'em the old "see how you like it" treatment...

--------------------
Hail Gallaxhar

Posts: 30100 | From: Adrift on a sea of surreality | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I reckon they will live until the Last Judgement, so they can get their reward, in person, from Jesus, in front of everyone else. After all, neither God nor Satan wants to let any of them in sooner than is absolutely necessary.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

Personally, I'm imagining the size of the protest at old Phred's funeral when he finally packs it in. Give 'em the old "see how you like it" treatment...
I think we should charter an aeroplane so that we could all go.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/

Spike

Mostly Harmless
# 36

- Posted      Profile for Spike   Email Spike   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Certainly an interesting service to MW!

--------------------
"May you get to heaven before the devil knows you're dead" - Irish blessing

Posts: 12860 | From: The Valley of Crocuses | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I pray that Phred will live long enough to repent.

I fear that will be a very long time....

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
marmot

Mountain mammal
# 479

- Posted      Profile for marmot   Email marmot   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian:
quote:

I think we should charter an aeroplane so that we could all go.
Sounds like a job for the Legion of Bad Monkeys.
Posts: 2754 | From: The land of Saint Damien | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
jlg

What is this place?
Why am I here?
# 98

Seems they are hitting the Boston area.

A suburban high school performance of The Laramie Project has sold out all 1400 tickets in advance (a first for the school's drama club). Brandeis University (a predominately Jewish institution), Harvard, and the Islamic Center of Boston are also on the agenda.

Brandeis has organized activities for the day and have already raised $3000 via phelps-a-thon. Harvard and the Islamic Center seem to have opted for simply ignoring the Phelps (aside from perhaps cooperating with local law enforcement).

teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
They almost got to meet their maker:
Disabled vet stalks Phelps clan.

quote:
Prosecutors today charged a decorated, double-amputee veteran with stalking and three counts of criminal use of a firearm in an incident involving members of a controversial Topeka church. Ryan J. Newell, 26, an Army veteran living in Marion, made his first appearance in Sedgwick County District Court through a video connection with the Sedgwick County Jail. He also was charged with false impersonation. His bond remains at $500,000.

A defense fund has been set up for the man.
Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Sure, charter the plane--but turn up at the WRONG funeral. And then get all apologetic on TV about not being able to give him the attention he so clearly, um, deserved.

For a ton of people to just MISS his funeral (aw shucky darn) might be perfect justice.

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
But but but... LC! It would be the best Shipmeet EVER!

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
The more reason to find a good bar!

--------------------

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

Alternately, we could all turn up at Phred's funeral and give long soulful speeches about our dear brother Richard... or was it Bill... I know I USED to remember his name correctly... John? and his lovely long-term campaign on spaying and neutering, was it?, so inspiring to us all.

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And his poor partner George...

--------------------

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

ROTFL!! [Smile]

Or...use the day to do pro-LGBT charitable projects, in his memory. [Smile]

--------------------

leo
Shipmate
# 1458

Or mimic his web page of 'Matthew Sheppard burning in Hell' - but in a positive way - Fred Phelps being hugged and kissed by thousands of LGBT Christians in heaven.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Fred Phelps being hugged and kissed by thousands of LGBT Christians in heaven.

Sigh. Assuming he turns up there, I know I have to, but... do I have to?

--------------------

PaulBC
Shipmate
# 13712

quote:
Originally posted by fletcher christian:
They aren't in any way like North Korea - Kim Jong would be way funnier on youtube videos.

Fletcher you are quite right Kim would be much funnier tha Phelphs &U co any day of the week. And he would have better backdrops. [Angel] [Smile]

--------------------

Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

I confess I sometimes hope he'll be greeted by God in the guise of a beautiful drag queen--just long enough to make a point.

Then I start worrying about how God might greet *me*.
[Paranoid]

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

quote:
quote:

think of it as taking one for the team? I'm sure Saint Peter would mark it in your favor. Last minute points can only help!

--------------------

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

If he does show up in heaven it'll be because he's repented, and God's an annoyingly let-bygones-be-bygones kinda gal. Ask Jonah. Pissed him off no end.

--------------------

orfeo

# 13878

quote:
Originally posted by comet:
quote:
quote:

think of it as taking one for the team? I'm sure Saint Peter would mark it in your favor. Last minute points can only help!
Points? [Paranoid]

I'm not sure I like the theology there. And if points ARE relevant, then I'd argue that Phelpsy might be in trouble anyway. It's only because I don't believe God keeps that kind of scorecard that I can actually stomach the idea that Phelpsy will be turning up!

--------------------

comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

I dont believe it either. But then, I dont believe in heaven. I never meant to wax all theological, chill out.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  ...  16  17  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016