homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by luvanddaisies:
Maybe if a bunch of people were recruited to hit on Phelps and his wife whenever they're out picketing, they might be put off it a bit. [Snigger]

It would be funny, but I wouldn't recommend it.

IIRC, Matthew Shephard's murder was triggered by hitting on (?) a straight man in a bar. I'm NOT in any way, shape, or form blaming Matthew. Just saying that the proposed action could be very dangerous.

And I suspect that Fred is mentally ill, deeply closeted, possibly an abuse survivor, or some combination of the three. If someone pushed his buttons by hitting on him...
[Eek!]

I've often wondered whether Phelps doesn't have a David Koresh-esque cache of weapons. I suppose he's smart enough to just-barely stay on the right side of the law and that if he went over the edge, that would bring his travelling circus to an end.

He would be highly entertaining if it weren't for the funeral picketing.

I do like his church's rendition of "Faith is the Victory" though. One of my favorite Proddy hymns.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I gotta admit, when I saw Junior laugh,it made my unbridled hatred for the Phelps clan wane a bit.

Maybe we are underestimating the educational power of really good comedy. [Big Grin] In any case, that faux- anchor has been added to my list of heroes.

GK-- it can be done. You get a van ready for the volunteer Romeos, you provide them with Mace, and you gun the engine the minute they dive through the open van door screaming "GO! GO! NOW!"

Heck, I'd volunteer to dress in drag and hit on Phelps himself just to get a closeup of the expression on his face. I know where to apply the knee if he gets out of line.

--------------------
I cannot expect people to believe “
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”
Kelly Alves, somewhere around 2003.

Posts: 35076 | From: Pura Californiana | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Maybe if a bunch of people were recruited to hit on Phelps and his wife whenever they're out picketing, they might be put off it a bit. [Snigger]

IIRC, Matthew Shephard's murder was triggered by hitting on (?) a straight man in a bar. I'm NOT in any way, shape, or form blaming Matthew. Just saying that the proposed action could be very dangerous.

And I suspect that Fred is mentally ill, deeply closeted, possibly an abuse survivor, or some combination of the three. If someone pushed his buttons by hitting on him...
[Eek!]

I'd like to know the evidence that he was 'hitting on' a straight man. Men have got off murder charges on 'homosexual panic' defence.

Are straight men so insecure that they have to murder someone rather tan tell them to go away?

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Living in Gin

Liturgical Pyromaniac
# 2572

- Posted      Profile for Living in Gin   Email Living in Gin   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I know where to apply the knee if he gets out of line.

If anybody is begging for a good kick in the nuts, it's Phelps.

--------------------
It's all fun and games until somebody gets burned at the stake.

Posts: 1893 | From: Cincinnati, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by leo:
quote:
quote:

[Eek!]

I'd like to know the evidence that he was 'hitting on' a straight man. Men have got off murder charges on 'homosexual panic' defence.

Are straight men so insecure that they have to murder someone rather tan tell them to go away?

As I said, I was doing my best to recall from memory. I've just checked the Wikipedia entry about Matthew. His murderers gave a variety of accounts, including a "gay-panic defense". Their girlfriends, however, testified that the guys had planned it all ahead of time--they went to a gay bar and targeted Matthew.

As to whether some people are so insecure that they'd respond to a same-sex advance with violence, I think some are. I'm not defending reacting that way. Just warning that Fred might react that way.

BTW, the Wikipedia article has an account of Fred's handling of Matthew's death, and the "angel" counter-protesters.

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

- Posted      Profile for Kelly Alves   Email Kelly Alves   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Living in Gin:
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
I know where to apply the knee if he gets out of line.

If anybody is begging for a good kick in the nuts, it's Phelps.
Thank you, Gin, thank you so much for that.

Now every time I see somebody get kicked in the nuts, I will think of you. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Jesus loves me, this I know” of they don’t believe “Kelly loves me, this I know.”

luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think the [Eek!] smilie goes well with that link, Living in Gin.

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Posts: 3711 | From: all at sea. | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Callan
Shipmate
# 525

- Posted      Profile for Callan     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Originally posted by Leo:

quote:

The Guardsman's Defence would hardly be of much use if some straight men weren't so insecure, would it?

--------------------
How easy it would be to live in England, if only one did not love her. - G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 9757 | From: Citizen of the World | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dont think they really have the authority to get rid of this guy, but I really wish they would because he makes all Christians look bad. I have been on his godhatesfags site, and I felt like taking a shower afterward.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6027 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I've checked out his website, too, BD. I felt that I needed to sterilize my screen and keyboard with bleach afterwards. [Paranoid]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Silent Acolyte

Shipmate
# 1158

- Posted      Profile for The Silent Acolyte     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
That's some sick twisted shit, Living in Gin.

In other news, Phelps gets a mosquito bite by being ordered to pay some court costs in the suit by the father of the Pennsylvania Marine whose funeral the Westboro haters picketed.

Posts: 7462 | From: The New World | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

- Posted      Profile for luvanddaisies   Email luvanddaisies   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really wonder what they think they're going to accomplish with this twisted "picketing ministry". It's unfathomable how they think that insulting grieving people is going to achieve anything positive. What sort of logic???

--------------------
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." (Mark Twain)

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
I really wonder what they think they're going to accomplish with this twisted "picketing ministry". It's unfathomable how they think that insulting grieving people is going to achieve anything positive. What sort of logic???

It gets attention, like terrorism and just about as ethical (OK, no bombs, but that is the only respect in which it is no worse). We see plenty of atention seeking on the Ship from time to time.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mrs. Candle
Shipmate
# 9422

- Posted      Profile for Mrs. Candle   Email Mrs. Candle   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
There is going to be a funeral here on Saturday at the Evangelical Free church for a young man who died serving our country in Iraq. Phelps plans to be there. A large contingent from my church, a Fundamentalist Baptist church is going to be there to quietly counter-protest by outnumbering and surrounding the Phelps minions (we have been asked to do so in hopes that we can quietly infiltrate and split up the group to render them ineffective). It is beyond me how this idiot could have decided to start protesting military funerals. When someone dies in military service (wether we agree with the war or not) people should honor the sacrifice, not torture his family and friends with stupid hate-spewing while they are in mourning. If someone dies in the belief that they are protecting me or my freedom, I don't care about their sex life. I wish Phelps would protest at the burial at Arlington. There's always the chance that an "accident" could be arranged in the 21-gun salute.

--------------------
Je suis le président de Burundi.

Posts: 869 | From: CO elev. 4960 ft. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
BassoProfundo
Shipmate
# 11008

- Posted      Profile for BassoProfundo   Email BassoProfundo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SearchingForAbsolutes:

Anyway, here's a great video of a faux-news reporter hitting on Fred Phelps Jr. It's definitely worth a view.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KZPsTM-4qgg

On a tangent: It's from a show in Australia called "The Chaser's war on everything" - you can get more videos from the ABC website:here

--------------------
"Music is enough for a lifetime; but a lifetime is never enough for music." - Rachmaninov

Posts: 133 | From: Hobart, Tasmania | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Moo

Ship's tough old bird
# 107

- Posted      Profile for Moo   Email Moo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

I think it's essentially boasting.

"We're the only people in the world who are completely right. Nyah, nyah, nyah!"

Moo

--------------------
Kerygmania host
---------------------
See you later, alligator.

Posts: 20365 | From: Alleghany Mountains of Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:

You know, I've wondered that myself. I don't think all of them are, just the ones who have homosexual feelings that they are ashamed of. The more they slag off on homosexuals, the less likely anyone is to guess that they themselves are gay, in their mind. Silly, I know. But then so is the whole 'homosexual panic' defence.

And when I previewed this, it said I was supposed to grovel to Rook, Stoo, or Scot. Who should I grovel to first? [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful_Dreamer:
quote:

You know, I've wondered that myself. I don't think all of them are, just the ones who have homosexual feelings that they are ashamed of. The more they slag off on homosexuals, the less likely anyone is to guess that they themselves are gay, in their mind. Silly, I know. But then so is the whole 'homosexual panic' defence.

Living where I do, I know plenty of men who are quite capable of simply smiling and saying "Thanks for the compliment, dude, but I'm straight/ not into guys /not interested."

In my experience, the guys that really have a panic attack at the idea of other guys hitting on them are the kind of guys who can't take a simple "no" from a woman, and assume all other men are wired like they are.

--------------------

Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

That is true too. My ex was like that, and he was also arrogant enough to think that every woman wanted him. Since to him a homosexual man is like a woman, then any homosexual man must want him too (in his mind). Can you see why he is an ex?? [Smile]

--------------------

Kelly Alves

Bunny with an axe
# 2522

Thank God. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Tangentially, I note that according to his Wiki, Phelps was once a civil rights lawyer, even winning awards from black groups, and is a registered Democrat.

Which makes his current position even more bizarre. Hands up who'd have assumed he was a racist as well, and too far to the right for Democrats or Republicans?

Interestingly, his estranged son (some of his kids are with him, others have a brain) says that Phelps had little in the way of religious beliefs of any kind before starting his little hate club, I mean church. His belief is that Phelps has a pathological need to hate some person or group, and has chosen homosexuals, presumably because he thinks he can recruit religious fervour to assist his campaign.

It's a bizarre kind of redemption-in-reverse.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Phelps has a pathological need to hate

Says it all right there, doesn't it?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
ReginaShoe
Shipmate
# 4076

- Posted      Profile for ReginaShoe   Author's homepage   Email ReginaShoe   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Karl: Liberal Backslider:
Tangentially, I note that according to his Wiki, Phelps was once a civil rights lawyer, even winning awards from black groups, and is a registered Democrat.

A slight tangent, but if his now-estranged son is to be believed, he was pretty much a racist all along. Apparently all he ever went for in civil rights cases were settlements - which enrich both Phelps and his clients but do basically nothing to advance the cause. Think of it; if the parties in "Brown vs. Board of Education" had settled out of court, that rather crucial ruling from the Supreme Court might not have happened. And then, again according to what I've read, he was making fun of his clients and calling them ugly names behind their backs the whole time. I hadn't heard anything about the awards, though.

--------------------
"If you have any poo, fling it now." - Mason the chimp

Posts: 598 | From: Colorado | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If you are in the UK, you might want tpo watch BBC2 2100-2200 on Sunday - about the Phelps family.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
da_musicman
Shipmate
# 1018

- Posted      Profile for da_musicman     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm looking forward to that program. Good chacne to let my "heathen" freinds know who I'm ranting about.
Posts: 3202 | From: The Dreaming | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
dyfrig
Blue Scarfed Menace
# 15

- Posted      Profile for dyfrig   Email dyfrig   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Karl, in the states, the nice cuddly, left wing Democrats have a long, interesting history on race. In fact, from about 1861 to 1960 it was the Republicans who championed equal rights. Strom Thurmond was a Democrat for a long time, and he ran as a "States Rights Democrat" in the 48 Presidential election - the Democrats were split evnely between those who thought segregation a good idea, and those who didn't. Nixon won in 68 partly because the Democrats were split again on the issue - the last time, I think, an openly segragationalist policy had an impact. Being registered Democrat doen't make you not-racist. In fact, in certain areas up to the 60s it more or less meant you were segregationally inclined.

--------------------
"He was wrong in the long run, but then, who isn't?" - Tony Judt

Posts: 6917 | From: pob dydd Iau, am hanner dydd | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
SearchingForAbsolutes
Shipmate
# 11966

- Posted      Profile for SearchingForAbsolutes   Email SearchingForAbsolutes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm very interested in the Phelps phenomenon, and since I'm in university, I have ample time to think too much about complex issues. I'm wondering (aloud) if Phelps' actions could be considered terrorism (on a theoretical scale, not a U.S. legal one). His actions are used to instill fear in others in order to push a revolutionary political and social cause. His actions are not physically violent, but according to many leading terrorism experts, they don't have to be. The threat of harm, be it emotional, social, or violent, is what Phelps & Co. use to gain attention to their homophobic message. The Amish massacre in Pennsylvania is proof of that; when alternate, wider-scoping methods of spreading the message made themselves available (through the threat of emotional harm on the community), the WBC took to the radio waves provided by a sympathetic/attention-grabbing Mike Gallagher* (the adjective depends, of course, on interpretation of his bargain with the church). The WBC endorse violent conduct; as mentioned earlier, Phelps celebrated Matthew Shepard's murder, as well as the deaths of American troops. The group sees itself as the only moral arrow on the planet (let's play a game: who can name other terrorist groups who believe the same thing?), and through attention-grabbing acts they attempt to further their cause.

I realize their actions are protected under the Constitution, but I still think the theoretical comparisons to terrorist organizations are frighteningly similar. The FARC uses threats of violence in order to extract taxes from drug cartels in Columbia. Is the WBC's threat of protest, assuming the original motive for protest was standard attention-whoring, and subsequent bargain comparable with groups like FARC who gain through threats? FARC has proven themselves true to their threats in the past, as has the WBC.

Of course, I'm just thinking in syntax, but some intelligent, passionate responses, found so abundantly on the SoF [Biased] , would be great.

*Did anyone listen to the broadcast? As disgusting as I think their beliefs are, it would have been interesting. Er... On second thought, it probably would have been the same speech Fred must have tattooed on the insides of their eyelids.

--------------------
In pursuit of pure, virtuous justice, whatever that means.

"And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins/When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins..." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 117 | From: Just North-East of The Centre of the Universe | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
boppysbud
Shipmate
# 4588

- Posted      Profile for boppysbud   Email boppysbud   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I think that Phred Phelps, and Akinola, and the arch-preacher of Sydney would all make great friends.

--------------------
this space left intentionally blank

Posts: 255 | From: High Desert, West Texas, USA | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
WBC, their wacko ideas and Phelps got a mention this morning on BBC Radio 2. The "Religious News" round up on Sarah Kennedy's "Dawn Patrol" mentioned it, probably to point people to Sunday's program.

Although that program is on April 1st, I'm afraid it's true. [Frown]

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
The last documentary filmmaker to enter their world was so enamoured by the family that he joined them.
How the hell did that happen? [Ultra confused]

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Liopleurodon:
quote:
The last documentary filmmaker to enter their world was so enamoured by the family that he joined them.
Leni Riefenstahl?

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
quote:
Well according to this interview Theroux found them
quote:
intelligent, high achieving, have good jobs, and they're kind, for the most part, when they're not on pickets.
Also
quote:
In some ways they're a model family. ... They spend all their recreational time together and they all look out for each other. ...It's important to recognise the good qualities of the family as it helps explain why so many of them have stayed in it and embraced the hateful stuff.

Posts: 3689 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

quote:
Originally posted by Late Paul:
quote:
quote:
Well according to this interview Theroux found them
quote:
intelligent, high achieving, have good jobs, and they're kind, for the most part, when they're not on pickets.
Also
quote:
In some ways they're a model family. ... They spend all their recreational time together and they all look out for each other. ...It's important to recognise the good qualities of the family as it helps explain why so many of them have stayed in it and embraced the hateful stuff.

Lots of families, and "families" too for that matter, have looked out for themselves. It doesn't stop them being mad as a bag of rats either.

--------------------

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Theroux found them 'intelligent, high achieving, have good jobs, and they're kind, for the most part, when they're not on pickets.'
It's easy to underestimate these people.

They're a potent combination of zealous competent lawyers and inerrancy run amok.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

- Posted      Profile for Paul.   Author's homepage   Email Paul.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Sioni Sais:
Lots of families, and "families" too for that matter, have looked out for themselves. It doesn't stop them being mad as a bag of rats either.

True but not the point. The question is "why would someone join the Phelpses?", Theroux's partial answer "because despite whatever else they do, they have an attractive family life".
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow that's depressing. Because I usually really like Louis Theroux. The idea that the Phelpses are a model family is crap though, if you do a bit of research. The children who have left (Theroux says they've 'fallen away') say that their father is an abusive monster who left at least one of his children with permanent physical damage and PTSD. Now his children have grown up, he's turned his hate elsewhere.

None of which Theroux was apparently allowed to see...

[ 30. March 2007, 12:52: Message edited by: lady in red ]

Liopleurodon

Mighty sea creature
# 4836

- Posted      Profile for Liopleurodon   Email Liopleurodon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I know that a couple of Phelps' kids are now estranged from him, and have said that the family is horrendously abusive and that Phelps is a power freak. Apparently the others stay where they are because they've been raised all their lives with the belief that their little family church is God's elect, and that everyone else is going to hell (and therefore if they leave the family they'll go to hell too).

I don't know if everything they've said is true, but I imagine that as a family they're more than capable of putting on an act when the documentary-maker comes to visit. (Not unlike the families who are beautifully behaved when social services are watching them, and abusive the rest of the time.)

--------------------
Our God is an awesome God. Much better than that ridiculous God that Desert Bluffs has. - Welcome to Night Vale

Posts: 1921 | From: Lurking under the ship | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
luvanddaisies

the'fun'in'fundie'™
# 5761

quote:
If you are in the UK, you might want to watch BBC2 2100-2200 on Sunday - about the Phelps family.

I'll be away (playing at Word Alive in Costa-del-Skegness) then, but I was wondering whether to ask my flatmate to Sky+ it for me. Part of me would like to see it to see what on earth the man comes across as, and part of me just thinks [Disappointed] .

--------------------

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Phelps-watch
Why would I want to watch Phelps? [Confused]

Okay, except to protect our backs....

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul.
Shipmate
# 37

quote:
I don't know if everything they've said is true, but I imagine that as a family they're more than capable of putting on an act when the documentary-maker comes to visit.

No doubt that's possible, probable even. What intrigues me though is the apparent need to paint them as only bad. Isn't it possible that there's some good along with the bad?
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
If this is the program that I am thinking of, it was shown here in the area at the local public library. None of the local broadcast outlets wanted to have a part of it.

Our state legislature is still working on somesort of law to restrict their activities at funerals.

--------------------
I used to know some of the answers, then they changed the questions.

Posts: 588 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
BBC article on Theroux's documentary

Theroux joining the Phelps? No mention of it in the article. Unless offering a different perspective on Phelps equates to "joining" la famiglia. Unless by offering a perspective on the Phelps family that paints them as seemingly normal apart from their picketing, that equates to surrender to them.

As a writer I've learned no one is all good or all bad. As big a hateball as Phelps is, he has some good qualities, as does his family. (Value for "some" is only >=1.) There were days Mother Teresa wanted to give the finger to a really annoying visiting Westerner.

Intolerance wears lots of masks, it's prevalent among even supposedly "open" and "liberal" people who can't or won't tolerate opposition to any of their agendas. Intolerance isn't limited to conservatives.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Wilfried
Shipmate
# 12277

- Posted      Profile for Wilfried   Email Wilfried   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
At the Topeka Capital-Journal you can find much more than you probably care to about Phelps and his clan.

Perhaps it is unchristian to call someone irredeemable, but I try as I might I find little enough to redeem. Lord have mercy. And given the long and well documented record of Phelp's activities, thorough condemnation of him and his behavior is hardly "liberal intolerance." To characterize it as such is itself knee-jerk bias of a different kind. Heck, even Jerry Falwell condemns him.

Posts: 429 | From: Lefty on the Right Coast | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Spouse

Ship's Pedant
# 3353

- Posted      Profile for Mr. Spouse   Email Mr. Spouse   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by KenWritez:
Theroux joining the Phelps? No mention of it in the article. Unless offering a different perspective on Phelps equates to "joining" la famiglia. Unless by offering a perspective on the Phelps family that paints them as seemingly normal apart from their picketing, that equates to surrender to them.

I don't know if you've seen any of Louis Theroux's documentaries, but his style is to appear naive and neutral to the subject in an effort to get them to expose their prejudices and idosyncracies all by themselves. And he is very good at it, rarely giving himself away by expressing opinions.

Theroux looks for the weird & wonderful. He tends to choose either people with extreme views - the scariest interview I recall was with the South African AWB leader Eugune Terreblanche - or celebrities (Jimmy Savile, Paul Daniels, Michael Jackson's father - because they wouldn't let him MJ himself). He definitely likes the weirder aspects of US life: classics on the California porn industry, swingers or Montana anarchists come readily to mind.

You've probably guessed by now that I like his style. And definitely will be watching him on Sunday. And cringing most of the way through, no doubt.

--------------------
Try to have a thought of your own, thinking is so important. - Blackadder

Posts: 1814 | From: Here, there & everywhere | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
KenWritez
Shipmate
# 3238

- Posted      Profile for KenWritez   Email KenWritez   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Excellent interviewing advice I've ever heard is, "If you hate your subject, quote them to death. If you love your subject, quote them to death." If Theroux knows what he's doing, he'll step out of the way and let Phelps & Co. hang themselves on their own tongues.

--------------------
"The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Ringo. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd." --Quentin Tarantino, Pulp Fiction

My blog: http://oxygenofgrace.blogspot.com

Posts: 11102 | From: Left coast of Wonderland, by the rabbit hole | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
altarbird
Shipmate
# 11983

- Posted      Profile for altarbird   Email altarbird   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Let me state unequivocably: I can't stand what Phelps and his family do or stand for.

But part of the point of this documentary, it seems, and the danger where people sorely underestimate Phelps or anyone like him is to so completely demonise him that he must be some fire breathing monster 24/7. If only it were that simple. This is Theroux's point about the model family. If it were any other family that spent all this time together, prayed together, were God fearing, held down full time jobs and provided for themselves well, they'd be held up as great examples of parenting and family ties. And by that measure, they are a model family. The one aberrant aspect of them is the extremism of the views they hold and the extent to which they go to demonstrate them. Granted, those views are SO extreme there isn't even a chart to plot them on, but I would say it is the rest of that model family aspect that makes them so dangerous.

It is the same with a lot of dangerous things. When you can turn around to all that criticism and say "Look, we're not the fire breathing monsters people say." it makes people look again. And when they people looking closer see the familial support, and structure and that people were wrong about that aspect (so far as this person has seen), then the gap is opened up to "what else is the public wrong about". That's probably where the previous journo wound up joining them, and that's what the real real danger of the Phelps clan is. They hold very nasty views, and they upset a lot of people with them but so long as people fail to recognize that there are normal aspects to them they'll be even more dangerous than they should be.

--------------------
It's not whether God is on our side or whether we're doing God's will, it's being so narcissistic as to think that God is telling you what to do. - Lily Tomlin

Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I'm watching the shite (the Theroux doc) now and my blood pressure is rising by the minute. The silver lining is that the younger generation seem to be turning against marriage which means hopefully they won't spawn again.

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Clint Boggis
Shipmate
# 633

- Posted      Profile for Clint Boggis   Author's homepage   Email Clint Boggis   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Bloody Hell!

How did he brainwash so many people? Are they not able to think for themselves?

Billy Graham is going to hell?

Jews are fag lovers?

[Eek!] [Frown] [Ultra confused] [Paranoid] [Mad]

Posts: 1505 | From: south coast | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
kentishmaid
Shipmate
# 4767

- Posted      Profile for kentishmaid   Author's homepage   Email kentishmaid   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's enough to make you feel sick. I feel so sorry for all those little kids they've co-opted into it, too. They clearly don't understand what's on the banners and they're getting hurt as a result of it.

The whole thing's disgusting. I don't know how these people sleep at night.

--------------------
"Who'll be the lady, who'll be the lord, when we are ruled by the love of one another?"

Posts: 2063 | From: Huddersfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Matt Black

Shipmate
# 2210

- Posted      Profile for Matt Black   Email Matt Black   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Phelps comes across as an arrogant rude old prick. (Quelle surprise!)

--------------------
"Protestant and Reformed, according to the Tradition of the ancient Catholic Church" - + John Cosin (1594-1672)

Posts: 14304 | From: Hampshire, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016