homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools
Thread closed  Thread closed

Post new thread  
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread (Page 7)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20 

Source: (consider it) Thread: HELL: The Official SoF Phelps-watch Thread
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well I have seen his site about God hating Sweden, it is linked on his site about God hating gay people. Like an idiot, I clicked on a link in a thread about Phelps and it came to that site. I really should have known better than to think anything worth looking at could come from this guy. He is so ridiculous that it is really sad.

--------------------
More where that came from
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Posts: 6028 | From: Outside Atlanta, GA | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I hardly think Pastor Fred is sad. He's done damn well for himself and his family.

--------------------
"The moral is to the physical as three is to one."
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Scribehunter
Shipmate
# 12750

- Posted      Profile for Scribehunter         Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Squirrel:
I hardly think Pastor Fred is sad. He's done damn well for himself and his family.

What do you mean by this accusation?
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

- Posted      Profile for Beautiful Dreamer   Author's homepage   Email Beautiful Dreamer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Yes, but look how many people he had to step on to do it. The fact that this thread has gone on as long as it has shows that he is at least successful in getting people to hate him. He seems to have made a living out of being completely depraved. I shudder to think what it must be like to be related to this guy.

--------------------

Frater_Frag
Shipmate
# 2184

- Posted      Profile for Frater_Frag   Email Frater_Frag   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
And here is another way to deal with these jerks... [Devil]

Solution?

[WARNING: advertisements on the linked site are not work/toddler safe.
comet
Hellhost]

[ 02. August 2007, 08:57: Message edited by: comet ]

--------------------
Theological Dissident,
Fencing Instr :)

"Mammals have hair, whales are mammals. Therefore whales have hair... Shave the whales!"

Posts: 500 | From: Linköping/Sweden | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

- Posted      Profile for Squirrel   Email Squirrel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Beautiful_Dreamer:
Yes, but look how many people he had to step on to do it. The fact that this thread has gone on as long as it has shows that he is at least successful in getting people to hate him. He seems to have made a living out of being completely depraved. I shudder to think what it must be like to be related to this guy.

From what I have read, most of his church is made up of relatives. So I gather those related to him share his views.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Posts: 1014 | From: Gotham City - Brain of the Great Satan | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I dunno. I think it's kinda sad that these people seem to fanatically devoted the Jesus and the Bible, yet seem to have missed the point so utterly. Like squeezing blood out of turnips or or getting yet another turn of the screw or some other apt metaphor for futility....

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Karl: Liberal Backslider
Shipmate
# 76

- Posted      Profile for Karl: Liberal Backslider   Author's homepage   Email Karl: Liberal Backslider   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
I dunno. I think it's kinda sad that these people seem to fanatically devoted the Jesus and the Bible, yet seem to have missed the point so utterly. Like squeezing blood out of turnips or or getting yet another turn of the screw or some other apt metaphor for futility....

Zach

Are they? Sometimes, when people miss the point so badly, I wonder if they're actually fanatically devoted to queer-hating, and their devotion to Jesus and the Bible is driven by the support they believe they can twist out of it for their hatred fuelled agenda.

cf. Tomas de Torquemada.

--------------------
Might as well ask the bloody cat.

Posts: 17938 | From: Chesterfield | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Yerevan
Shipmate
# 10383

- Posted      Profile for Yerevan   Email Yerevan   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known:
this just in?

Goodness! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

If that isn't a pisstake I'm quite proud of my little island for attracting the ire of the Phelps clan. [Yipee]
Posts: 3758 | From: In the middle | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SeraphimSarov
Shipmate
# 4335

- Posted      Profile for SeraphimSarov   Email SeraphimSarov   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Yerevan:
quote:
Originally posted by Saint Hedrin the Lesser-Known:
this just in?

Goodness! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

If that isn't a pisstake I'm quite proud of my little island for attracting the ire of the Phelps clan. [Yipee]
Can someone in Dublin organize a welcoming party with stakes and matches???
On Second thought, that might make them think they will get an entry in "Foxe's Book of Martyrs"

--------------------
"For those who like that sort of thing, that is the sort of thing they like"

Posts: 2247 | From: Sacramento, California | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

I don't know if that one is a joke or not. It is just so absurd. I know there is one about God hating Sweden (for what reason, I don't know), but something tells me Mr. Phelps has too much time on his hands.

--------------------

Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Ooo look, the Minnesota bridge collapse was apparently caused by gays too! Who would have guessed?

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
comet

Snowball in Hell
# 10353

- Posted      Profile for comet   Author's homepage   Email comet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
from the article:
quote:
In a press release issued the day after the bridge collapse, the church called for protests at the funerals and outlined its feelings about the relationship between God's plan and the sins of Minneapolis and Minnesota, which it calls the "land of the Sodomite damned."
oh yah! Doncha know what a hotbed of hedomism and kinky sex they have up there! What else ya gonna do on the prairie when the winds'r blowin'? Yer gonna corrupt the world, that's what! After you make a tuna hotdish, of course. Good hotdish always comes first. Yah!

*nods*

--------------------
Evil Dragon Lady, Breaker of Men's Constitutions

"It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning.” -Calvin

Posts: 17024 | From: halfway between Seduction and Peril | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Izzybee
Shipmate
# 10931

- Posted      Profile for Izzybee   Author's homepage   Email Izzybee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Gosh. I wonder if you colored in every state, city and country that's the "land of the sodomite damned" according to Phelps, whether you'd have any land left uncolored?

Presumably there's at least a small patch of Topeka, KS that he feels is OK, and presumably Antarctica couldn't have done anything to offend him...

[ETA: Fixing quote. Not just depraved but sodomite damned. Scary]

[ 10. August 2007, 14:58: Message edited by: Izzybee ]

--------------------
Hate filled bitch musings...

Posts: 1336 | From: Baltimore, MD | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Wow !! We could stop doing red states and blue states and just do "gay agenda" states and "resisting the danger of damnation" states.

[Devil]

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder if the mining collapse in Utah -- probably the most conservative state in the U.S. -- is for the same reason?

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
rosamundi

Ship's lacemaker
# 2495

- Posted      Profile for rosamundi   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
Ooo look, the Minnesota bridge collapse was apparently caused by gays too! Who would have guessed?

Paul W

Apparently the bridge collapsed because when the Phelpses (Phelpsii?) were picketing in Minneapolis, they had some of their signs taken away.
quote:
Twice they stole our picket signs violently, and right out of our hands - on the public sidewalk in front of the Basilica of St. Mary, 88 N. 17th St., Minneapolis, MN - as the police looked on and laughed. Typical Minnesotans.
We want our property back.

Uh. Yeah. Absolutely.

The good Revd. Phelps is bonkers, and in need of our prayers.

quote:
Originally posted by Pigwidgeon:
I wonder if the mining collapse in Utah -- probably the most conservative state in the U.S. -- is for the same reason?

Well, duh!
[Disappointed]

[ 13. August 2007, 21:22: Message edited by: rosamundi ]

--------------------
Website.
Ship of Fools flickr group

Posts: 2382 | From: here or there | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shadowhund
Shipmate
# 9175

- Posted      Profile for Shadowhund   Author's homepage   Email Shadowhund   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I really hope they try to protest the Merv Griffin funeral mass. Perhaps the choir can step outside and sing "I've Got a Lovely Bunch of Coconuts" in their general direction.

--------------------
"Had the Dean's daughter worn a bra that afternoon, Norman Shotover might never have found out about the Church of England; still less about how to fly"

A.N. Wilson

Posts: 3788 | From: Your Disquieted Conscience | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Golden Key
Shipmate
# 1468

- Posted      Profile for Golden Key   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:
Presumably there's at least a small patch of Topeka, KS that he feels is OK, and presumably Antarctica couldn't have done anything to offend him...

Ah, but aren't some of those penguins gay?

--------------------
Blessed Gator, pray for us!
--"Oh bat bladders, do you have to bring common sense into this?" (Dragon, "Jane & the Dragon")
--"Oh, Peace Train, save this country!" (Yusuf/Cat Stevens, "Peace Train")

Posts: 18601 | From: Chilling out in an undisclosed, sincere pumpkin patch. | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Golden Key:
quote:
Originally posted by Izzybee:

Ah, but aren't some of those penguins gay?
Even if they aren't, they haven't done anything to prevent the gayness that goes on in other parts of the globe. If they were good, red-blooded, God-fearing Christian penguins, they would be here with us picketing outside the funerals of puffins, whom we all know are ... well, you know.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Paul W.

Shipmate
# 1450

- Posted      Profile for Paul W.   Author's homepage   Email Paul W.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Well, these are South American gay penguins, but I guess they get up to that kind of stuff in Antarctica too.

godhatespenguins.com - just watch this space...

Paul W

--------------------
"It's just a ride" - Bill Hicks

Blog
Flickr

Posts: 2835 | From: Leeds, UK | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Drooling Drummer
Shipmate
# 11364

- Posted      Profile for Drooling Drummer   Email Drooling Drummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
MT...

[Overused] [Killing me]

--------------------
If you can't get a gold medal, go for bronze. It's goldier than silver!!

Known in an alternate reality as flighty.

Posts: 242 | From: $99...plus GST | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Drooling Drummer
Shipmate
# 11364

- Posted      Profile for Drooling Drummer   Email Drooling Drummer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I wonder why Phelps and his clan of inbreds will never agree to a debate with a christian...?

--------------------
If you can't get a gold medal, go for bronze. It's goldier than silver!!

Known in an alternate reality as flighty.

Posts: 242 | From: $99...plus GST | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
SearchingForAbsolutes
Shipmate
# 11966

- Posted      Profile for SearchingForAbsolutes   Email SearchingForAbsolutes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by flighty:
I wonder why Phelps and his clan of inbreds will never agree to a debate with a christian...?

He once did a debate with John Rankin, but wouldn't answer any of Rankin's questions. Phelps has got that smart-dumb thing going on: he's dumb enough to know he's wrong but keep insisting he's right, but he's smart enough to know that he can't possibly win an argument for his case, so he resorts to name-calling and dodging questions...

The guy would do great in politics (and I hear he's a Democrat!)

--------------------
In pursuit of pure, virtuous justice, whatever that means.

"And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins/When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins..." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 117 | From: Just North-East of The Centre of the Universe | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Songs of Praise:
I think <snip>* his usual MO.

[Tangent] Oh hello - long time no see. You and I were newbies on the same day - I remember it well! I've often wondered how you were going![/Tangent]

*Snip to save hosts' time!

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zappa
Ship's Wake
# 8433

- Posted      Profile for Zappa   Email Zappa   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
[Further tangent] Oh ye gods ... just noticed
quote:
Posted 03 April, 2007 02:52
[Hot and Hormonal]

Ah well - it was nice to see her/him pop up again. Kinda nostalgic, really. [/Further tangent]

--------------------
shameless self promotion - because I think it's worth it
and mayhap this too: http://broken-moments.blogspot.co.nz/

Posts: 18917 | From: "Central" is all they call it | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Songs of Praise
Shipmate
# 8435

- Posted      Profile for Songs of Praise   Email Songs of Praise   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Hi Zappa (and others). I am still around, nearly three years on from a cancer scare. I'm still in remission and in good health. I also kicked in my job after nearly 20 years to work as a freelance musician, web designer and journalist - which, as any other self-employed person might tell you, is probably the reason I've not found time to visit here.

There - enough nice talk in hell for now! [Smile]

Posts: 94 | From: a distance | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
infinite_monkey
Shipmate
# 11333

- Posted      Profile for infinite_monkey   Email infinite_monkey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Paul W.:
Well, these are South American gay penguins, but I guess they get up to that kind of stuff in Antarctica too.

godhatespenguins.com - just watch this space...

Paul W

Indeed, penguins are the wanton Sodomites of the avian world. Behold, more evidence of their transgressions!

Phelpsy and co had better get cracking. Ah wait, they're already cracked.

--------------------
His light was lifted just above the Law,
And now we have to live with what we did with what we saw.

--Dar Williams, And a God Descended
Obligatory Blog Flog: www.otherteacher.wordpress.com

Posts: 1423 | From: left coast united states | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by infinite_monkey:
Indeed, penguins are the wanton Sodomites of the avian world. Behold, more evidence of their transgressions!

[Eek!] Has someone told our Smudgie?

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by SearchingForAbsolutes:

What? That bunch of gay-friendly libruls? I doubt it.

By his own (twisted) logic, if he votes at all, he is collaborating with The Gay Agenda™ (whatever that is), and thus is going to Hell. (To everyone's delight, except, perhaps, Satan's) [Eek!]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Squirrel
Shipmate
# 3040

Even the military is too librul and gay-friendly for Pastor Fred. I doubt whether any organization, political party or other, would meet his demanding standards.

--------------------
- Napoleon

"Five to one."
- George S. Patton

Welease Woderwick

Sister Incubus Nightmare
# 10424

- Posted      Profile for Welease Woderwick   Email Welease Woderwick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
... The Gay Agenda™ (whatever that is)...

Look no further - Betty Bowers to the rescue - here it is!

--------------------
I give thanks for unknown blessings already on their way.
Fancy a break in South India?
Accessible Homestay Guesthouse in Central Kerala, contact me for details

What part of Matt. 7:1 don't you understand?

Posts: 48139 | From: 1st on the right, straight on 'til morning | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
SearchingForAbsolutes
Shipmate
# 11966

- Posted      Profile for SearchingForAbsolutes   Email SearchingForAbsolutes   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Originally posted by SearchingForAbsolutes:

What? That bunch of gay-friendly libruls? I doubt it.
He's run as a Dem in 5 Kansas primaries. Back in the day, he had Al and Tipper over for a support rally at his home/compound. I guess he's disappointed in the Democrat support for gay rights, but we all know, American politics works best when you pick a party and stick with it, regardless of whether or not you like what they stand for.

--------------------

"And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins/When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins..." - Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 117 | From: Just North-East of The Centre of the Universe | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
Nicolemr
Shipmate
# 28

- Posted      Profile for Nicolemr   Author's homepage   Email Nicolemr   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
For anyone interested, the latest from Phelps: (or at least his organization)

Anti-Gay Church: Thompson Agreed With Us

--------------------
On pilgrimage in the endless realms of Cyberia, currently traveling by ship. Now with live journal!

Posts: 11803 | From: New York City "The City Carries On" | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Beautiful Dreamer
Shipmate
# 10880

The smartest thing Fred Thompson could do (and anyone else, for that matter) would be to completely distance himself from *anything* that comes out of Westboro Baptist. Their support is not worth anything. Thompson should consider it an *honor* to be told by the Phelps clan that they do not agree anymore, if they ever really did.

And I thought Thompson was smarter than to agree with anything that comes from Fred Phelps. I hope I wasn't wrong.

--------------------

Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
According to the local newspaper today, a bomb threat was alleged to have been called in to Phred's church yesterday, while most of the gang was out of town. No bomb found, however plenty of TV air time. [Mad]

--------------------
I used to know some of the answers, then they changed the questions.

Posts: 588 | From: Kansas, USA | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
SearchingForAbsolutes
Shipmate
# 11966

Phelps Theology 101

1- Every act on Earth is controlled by God.
ex: The U.S. army is being punished by God, who uses "perverts" to kill soldiers. Mine collapses, Amish school shootings, etc. are also God's judgments. God should be praised for these, no matter what they are.

However, any bad happenings for Phelpsco or their compound is the sinful world persecuting them.

If he wasn't a clergyman, I'd think he was manipulative.

Anyone into copyright laws? With that banner on GodHatesIreland.com, I'd love to see Notre Dame and General Mills put these folks in the red for a loooooong time.

--------------------

Pigwidgeon

Ship's Owl
# 10192

- Posted      Profile for Pigwidgeon   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
A federal jury on Wednesday awarded the father of a fallen Marine $2.9 million in compensatory damages after finding an anti-gay Kansas church and three of its leaders liable for invasion of privacy and intent to inflict emotional distress for picketing the Marine's funeral in 2006...

[Yipee]

I'm trying to find a good link to this.

--------------------
"...that is generally a matter for Pigwidgeon, several other consenting adults, a bottle of cheap Gin and the odd giraffe."
~Tortuf

Posts: 9835 | From: Hogwarts | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
sandushinka
Shipmate
# 13021

- Posted      Profile for sandushinka   Email sandushinka   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Here's one.

--------------------
It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.

Posts: 131 | From: Maryland (DC burbs), USA | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged
Geneviève

Mother-Hatting Cat Lover
# 9098

- Posted      Profile for Geneviève   Email Geneviève   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Good for the Charm City jury!

--------------------
"Ineffable" defined: "I cannot and will not be effed with." (Courtesy of CCTooSweet in Running the Books)

Posts: 4336 | From: Eastern US | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Soror Magna
Shipmate
# 9881

- Posted      Profile for Soror Magna   Email Soror Magna   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
It's a wonderful victory for the Snyder family, with a cherry on top:
quote:
The judge said the church's financial statements, sealed earlier, could be released to the plaintiffs.
Oh, dear. Do you think the plaintiffs will be able to resist the temptation to make the financial shena- excuse me, statements of Fred's cult/family public? [Snigger] [Devil] OliviaG

--------------------
"You come with me to room 1013 over at the hospital, I'll show you America. Terminal, crazy and mean." -- Tony Kushner, "Angels in America"

Posts: 5430 | From: Caprica City | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

- Posted      Profile for Frustrated Farmer   Email Frustrated Farmer   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
I am sure that the state of Phred's finances would be of great interest to many people in his home community. [Big Grin]

--------------------

teddybear
Shipmate
# 7842

- Posted      Profile for teddybear   Author's homepage   Email teddybear   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Now everyone keep your fingers crossed that they lose the inevitable appeal.
Posts: 480 | From: Topeka, Kansas USA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
TonyK

Host Emeritus
# 35

- Posted      Profile for TonyK   Email TonyK   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Can a USA friend enlighten us here over this side of the water?
What happens now if Phelps and Co can't and/or won't pay?
The news article implied that the judge felt that the award was higher than the defendants' assets. Am I reading this OK? If so, what next?

But I agree - a wonderful result [Smile]

--------------------
Yours aye ... TonyK

Posts: 2717 | From: Gloucestershire | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Frustrated Farmer
Shipmate
# 10782

Now that they have a judgement, I would guess that the Phelps would have to put up all of their assets to pay the award. If they plead poverty, I believe that they can be hauled into court occasionally if the winners believe they have acquired something of value that can be used to pay the judgement.

Perhaps someone who is more knowledgeable about this can comment.

--------------------

moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by TonyK:
Can a USA friend enlighten us here over this side of the water?
What happens now if Phelps and Co can't and/or won't pay?

IANAL and ought to know better than to comment but I think some assets could be seized; I don't think they could be put out on the street. IIRC correctly OJ is still living pretty well.

BTW, the jury came back with punitive damages and now the award is approaching 11 million.

ISTM this verdict is going to really complicate Fred's theological reasoning.

Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
Phred and company have several alternatives. First, they can appeal the judgement. I believe they will almost certainly do this as long as they can meet the Rule 1* requirements of their counsel. An appeal is bound to take a while and will delay collection efforts as long as they can afford the appeal bond to stay collection.

Second, they can ignore it. This will result in some sort of collection effort, although that depends on how avid the dad and counsel are for the money. In an irony that is fairly delicious, these wonderful folks financed themselves by suing people they had irritated into hitting them. There might be some of that money left. Additionally, the church building is bound to have some value as a tourist attraction if nothing else. Will the dad ever get all $10.9M? Not likely. As best I can tell, Fred cannot make that kind of jack practicing law and the marketable skills of the rest of the family appear to be nil.**

Third, they can declare some sort of bankruptcy. As they are apparently not farmers, they can go for a Chapter 7, a Chapter 11, or a Chapter 13. In a 7, they turn over all their assets with any equity and tell their creditors to have fun with the carrion, but to go away after that. In an 11, they stymie collection efforts by endless meetings of secured creditors and unsecured creditors. OK, sorry, they work out a "plan" for paying off debt. In a 13, which would require them to be gainfully employed, they can pay off unsecured creditors (like the dad) at less than 1 cent on the dollar. The problem they face is that they would still have to cough up around $54,000 at even ½ cent per dollar, or a .5 % premium. Additionally, I am not sure how much co-operation they would get from the Trustee or the Judge.

**They could always earn a living by torturing suspects for Homeland Security. I can imagine most would be terrorists begging for mercy after being with them for half an hour or more.

Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
moron
Shipmate
# 206

- Posted      Profile for moron   Email moron   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Additionally, the church building is bound to have some value as a tourist attraction if nothing else.

If memory serves their church building is also their home. Can they lose their primary place of residence?
Posts: 4236 | From: Bentonville | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 206:
quote:
Originally posted by Tortuf:
Additionally, the church building is bound to have some value as a tourist attraction if nothing else.

If memory serves their church building is also their home. Can they lose their primary place of residence?
If everyone goes along gawping at the Phelpsians they may even sue. Then again, it does look like a down-market "community centre" made of breezeblock (cinderblock) so I can't imagine many would.

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tortuf
Ship's fisherman
# 3784

- Posted      Profile for Tortuf   Author's homepage   Email Tortuf   Send new private message       Edit/delete post 
quote:
Originally posted by 206:

Yes, under the right circumstances, they can lose their primary residence. It depends on the equity they have in the place among other things.
Posts: 6963 | From: The Venice of the South | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  ...  18  19  20 

Post new thread  
Open thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016