homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: 2009 Ship Of Fools Celebrity Death Pool game thing (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: 2009 Ship Of Fools Celebrity Death Pool game thing
North East Quine

Curious beastie
# 13049

- Posted      Profile for North East Quine   Email North East Quine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Originally posted by Campbellite:
quote:
Look at it this way, Sir Kev, we have both bestowed the gift of immortality upon these poor souls.

I think you spoke 5 minutes too soon, Campbellite!
Posts: 6414 | From: North East Scotland | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
Auntie Doris

Screen Goddess
# 9433

- Posted      Profile for Auntie Doris   Author's homepage   Email Auntie Doris   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Kelly Alves:
You people are very, very special.

Yes, I came straight here when I found out about Jacko.

[Snigger] sicko

(feels good tho don't it?)

Auntie Doris x

--------------------
"And you don't get to pronounce that I am not a Christian. Nope. Not in your remit nor power." - iGeek in response to a gay-hater :)

The life and times of a Guernsey cow

Posts: 6019 | From: The Rock at the Centre of the Universe | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
"You people are very, very special." [Devil]

We are, aren't we?

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Posts: 21377 | From: CA | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hmmmm, it looks like Amazing Grace has inside knowledge, two on one day!

Oh, may they rest in peace and rise in glory....

But gosh...88 points? Did I miscalculate? [Angel]

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Piglet
Islander
# 11803

- Posted      Profile for Piglet   Email Piglet   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by piglet:
11. Amy Winehouse
12. Pete Doherty
13. Ronnie Wood

I appear to have got the wrong pop-wrecks too. And, I confess, I too came straight to this thread when I heard about Jacko. [Hot and Hormonal]

[ 26. June 2009, 00:01: Message edited by: piglet ]

--------------------
I may not be on an island any more, but I'm still an islander.
alto n a soprano who can read music

Posts: 20272 | From: Fredericton, NB, on a rather larger piece of rock | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Queen Mousie
Shipmate
# 9925

- Posted      Profile for Queen Mousie   Email Queen Mousie   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I accidently put my death pool guesses on the corporate death pool site (too late to be counted anyway) But for the record - even if it doesn't count [Hot and Hormonal] I did post Michael Jackson's name . . no points for me according to the rules.

QM

--------------------
Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 167 | From: On a clear day you can see L.A. L.A. Land | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Amazing Grace

High Church Protestant
# 95

- Posted      Profile for Amazing Grace   Email Amazing Grace   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Woah.

I thought that the beautiful and courageous Farrah had died yesterday and I just heard about it today.

TWO hits on the same day?

[Ultra confused] [Eek!] [Ultra confused]

<looks around> [Paranoid]

I almost want to beg to take a couple of people off my list!

As a data point, my reaction when I heard the news about Wacko Jacko was:

1) Wow, no kidding?
2) He's been not well for a long time.
3) Did I put him on my list this year?

(all in the space of a couple of seconds)

Charlotte

--------------------
WTFWED? "Remember to always be yourself, unless you suck" - the Gator
Memory Eternal! Sheep 3, Phil the Wise Guy, and Jesus' Evil Twin in the SoF Nativity Play

Posts: 6593 | From: Sittin' by the dock of the [SF] bay | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by North East Quine:
quote:
Look at it this way, Sir Kev, we have both bestowed the gift of immortality upon these poor souls.

I think you spoke 5 minutes too soon, Campbellite!
So I did. [Big Grin]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
Suffering for Jesus since 1966.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I had Farrah last year, dropped her this year--so I guess that makes it my fault.

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Wow - I didn't really expect him to die [Hot and Hormonal]

50 points to me (I think Amanda B Reckondwythe had him as well)

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

- Posted      Profile for Lyda*Rose   Email Lyda*Rose   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Amazing Grace:
Patrick Swayze
Farrah Fawcett
Ariel Sharon
Ted Kennedy
Elizabeth Edwards
Margaret Thatcher
Betty Ford
Amy Winehouse
Billy Graham
Muhammed Ali
Fidel Castro
Robert Mugabe
Michael Jackson

Outside chance on Kim Jong Il but I'm already up to 13. Ditto for my good wishes for Dan Schorr.

Charlotte

I think Amazing Grace may have an inside track this year. She's got lots of likely candidates, besides the Jackson longshot she just scored.

--------------------
"Dear God, whose name I do not know - thank you for my life. I forgot how BIG... thank you. Thank you for my life." ~from Joe Vs the Volcano

Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's 50 points to rather a lot of you: lady in red, Amazing Grace, koshatnik, Campbellite, Sioni Sais, Mamacita and Organ Builder, and it's rather salving my conscience that I didn't have him. (But I did think, wow 50 points when I heard [Devil] )

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Holy crap. I had totally forgotten that MJ was on my list. My kids even asked me if anyone had him on their Death Pool lists. I'll have to go back downstairs and face them. . . .

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

- Posted      Profile for Campbellite   Email Campbellite   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Did they give you that look?

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Posts: 12001 | From: between keyboard and chair | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged
Uncle Pete

Loyaute me lie
# 10422

- Posted      Profile for Uncle Pete     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Shit, Shit, SHIT! I took Roméo Leblanc off this year.

And he's gone to his Rest. Poor guy. State funeral will be Thursday.

--------------------
Even more so than I was before

Posts: 20466 | From: No longer where I was | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lyda*Rose

Ship's broken porthole
# 4544

Another (minor) celeb off at 50: Billy Mays, a pitchman for the ages.

--------------------

Mamacita

Lakefront liberal
# 3659

- Posted      Profile for Mamacita   Email Mamacita   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Did they give you that look?

They were quite gleeful about it. I didn't raise no fluffy bunnies.

--------------------
Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world’s grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it.

Posts: 20761 | From: where the purple line ends | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Mollie Sugden has died.
anyone have her, or her pussy?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Organ Builder
Shipmate
# 12478

- Posted      Profile for Organ Builder   Email Organ Builder   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Tree Bee, that saddens me more than the passing of some we've seen recently in the entertainment world, but at least (unlike two this past fortnight) she wasn't my precise age.

[Votive]

--------------------
How desperately difficult it is to be honest with oneself. It is much easier to be honest with other people.--E.F. Benson

Posts: 3337 | From: ...somewhere in between 40 and death... | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
R.I.P., Mrs. Slocombe. Free at last. [Votive]

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 10542 | From: The Great Southwest | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Knopwood
Shipmate
# 11596

- Posted      Profile for Knopwood   Email Knopwood   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's been a busy few days. Karl Malden.
Posts: 6806 | From: Tio'tia:ke | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged
East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tree Bee:
Mollie Sugden has died.
anyone have her, or her pussy?

I see the congratulations go to Uriel.

--------------------
"Fishes stop and ask me where I'm bound." (Incredible String Band)

Posts: 739 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The curse of Are You Being Served? strikes again...
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

I don't think anyone was expecting Steve McNair.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

ephemera
Shipmate
# 13355

- Posted      Profile for ephemera     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Allen Klein

--------------------
A cool small evening shrunk to a dog bark and the clank of a bucket -
And you listening. T. Hughes

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
The curse of Are You Being Served? strikes again...

Surely any programme which was filmed in the 70s will have such a curse as the actors who were, say, 35-40 then will be in their 70s now although Dad's Army jumped the gun a bit by having mostly elderly stars.

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

Posts: 2507 | From: Toton | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Nobody's mentioned Robert McNamara yet. Nobody had him on their list.
Posts: 4358 | From: Bay Area, Calif | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curiosity killed ...

Ship's Mug
# 11770

- Posted      Profile for Curiosity killed ...   Email Curiosity killed ...   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
During the Radio 4 Feedback programme yesterday there was a discussion on the coverage of Michael Jackson's death. Apparently the BBC already had an obituary lined up for him - along with around 100 others. Sadly the names on that list are kept very much under lots of security. The one who threw them recently was Natasha Richardson as her death was totally unexpected.

--------------------
Mugs - Keep the Ship afloat

Posts: 13794 | From: outiside the outer ring road | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

- Posted      Profile for basso   Email basso   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm surprised that there are only 100 in the queue. I'd have expected more.

Our local paper has a supply of obits too. You can tell the canned ones sometimes because they're written by a staffer who hasn't actually been employed by the paper in several years. The byline will say something like "Former chief music critic of this paper".

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

- Posted      Profile for East Price Road   Email East Price Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
There have also been numerous instances where the writer of an obituary "in the can" has died before the subject. The obituary in The Independent of John Mortimer, who died earlier this year, was written by the writer David Hughes, who died in 2005.

--------------------

Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

That could be awkward. [Paranoid]

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

ChaliceGirl
Shipmate
# 13656

- Posted      Profile for ChaliceGirl   Email ChaliceGirl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Walter Cronkite passed tonight at 92 yrs old, and I had him on my list!

But like I said- not too hard to predict.

"And that's the way it is..." RIP Walter.

--------------------
The Episcopal Church Welcomed Me.

"Welcome home." ++Katharine Jefferts Schori to me on 29Mar2009.
My KJS fansite & chicksinpointyhats

Posts: 710 | From: Philadelphia, PA, USA | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged
Campbellite

Ut unum sint
# 1202

I had Uncle Walter last year, I think. I replaced him with Michael Jackson this year.

Walter was one of the last true journalists in TV.

--------------------
I upped mine. Up yours.
WTFWED?

Uriel
Shipmate
# 2248

- Posted      Profile for Uriel   Email Uriel   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Henry Allingham, the oldest WWI veteran, has died at the age of 113. He was on my supercentenarians list of 2008, and his death leaves Harry Patch as the oldest (and possibly last) WWI veteran from the UK.
Posts: 687 | From: Somerset, UK | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

- Posted      Profile for Amanda B. Reckondwythe     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Frank McCourt, author of Angela's Ashes, is reported to be gravely ill and not expected to survive.

--------------------
"I take prayer too seriously to use it as an excuse for avoiding work and responsibility." -- The Revd Martin Luther King Jr.

Sioni Sais
Shipmate
# 5713

- Posted      Profile for Sioni Sais   Email Sioni Sais   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Cartoonist John Ryan has died aged 88. His best-known creation was Captain Pugwash (some other characters have been entirely wrongly attributed to him).

[ 24. July 2009, 12:16: Message edited by: Sioni Sais ]

--------------------
"He isn't Doctor Who, he's The Doctor"

(Paul Sinha, BBC)

Posts: 24276 | From: Newport, Wales | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tree Bee

Ship's tiller girl
# 4033

- Posted      Profile for Tree Bee   Email Tree Bee   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Gordon Waller has died - anyone have him?

--------------------
"Any fool can make something complicated. It takes a genius to make it simple."
— Woody Guthrie
http://saysaysay54.wordpress.com

Posts: 5257 | From: me to you. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by Amanda B. Reckondwythe:
Frank McCourt, author of Angela's Ashes, is reported to be gravely ill and not expected to survive.

Mr. McCourt has died.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

- Posted      Profile for The Rogue   Email The Rogue   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Uriel:
Henry Allingham, the oldest WWI veteran, has died at the age of 113. He was on my supercentenarians list of 2008, and his death leaves Harry Patch as the oldest (and possibly last) WWI veteran from the UK.

Not now

--------------------
If everyone starts thinking outside the box does outside the box come back inside?

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

And now one of England's best ever managers has gone to the great soccer stadium in the sky.

He put together an excellent team and got them playing for each other (and him) like nobody has for England since. In my opinion.

--------------------

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

quote:
Originally posted by The Rogue:
And now one of England's best ever managers has gone to the great soccer stadium in the sky.

For those who haven't got time to follow the link, let's just mention his name:

RIP Sir Bobby Robson.

--------------------

The Rogue
Shipmate
# 2275

And we have also seen the last of Corazon Aquino

--------------------

basso

Ship’s Crypt Keeper
# 4228

quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:

RIP Sir Bobby Robson.

His name deserves to be noted here. Thanks.

(22 points to EPR, Tree Bee, and philip99a.)

MrSponge2U

Ship’s scrub
# 3076

- Posted      Profile for MrSponge2U   Author's homepage   Email MrSponge2U   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
John Hughes, director of some of my favorite films of the 1980s: The Breakfast Club, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, and Planes Trains and Automobiles, has died. He was only 59.

--------------------
sig? what sig?

Posts: 3558 | From: where two big rivers meet | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:

4) Beitullah Mehsoud -head honcho of the Pakistani Taleban

Reports are coming in that he's been killed by a CIA missile. I eagerly await confirmation of a hefty points haul (and unlike for Michael Jackson, this time I don't feel remotely bad about it. Live by the sword, die by the sword and all that)

(I spelled his name differently but I hope it's clear that this is who I meant)

--------------------

East Price Road
Shipmate
# 13846

quote:
Originally posted by basso:
quote:
Originally posted by East Price Road:

RIP Sir Bobby Robson.

His name deserves to be noted here. Thanks.

(22 points to EPR, Tree Bee, and philip99a.)

Basso, Bobby Robson was 76, and you have an unread PM from 1 August.

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

I wish someone would just get on with confirming whether Beitullah Mehsud's dead or not. Is most frustrating.

I would ask for a hostly ruling, but it seems a bit unfair to ask the hosts to decide whether he's alive or dead when the CIA apparently can't [Biased]

--------------------

Amanda B. Reckondwythe

Dressed for Church
# 5521

quote:
Originally posted by lady in red:
It seems a bit unfair to ask the hosts to decide whether he's alive or dead . . . .

If only they could! [Ultra confused]

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
We've lost Mike Seeger. A better banjo player than his brother, and a hell of a nice guy (I had a conversation with him once). [Votive]

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
jedijudy

Organist of the Jedi Temple
# 333

- Posted      Profile for jedijudy   Email jedijudy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Eunice Kennedy Shriver,
JFK's baby sister, has died.

--------------------
Jasmine, little cat with a big heart.

Posts: 18017 | From: 'Twixt the 'Glades and the Gulf | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016