homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Purgatory: Religious Indoctrination of Children (Page 6)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Purgatory: Religious Indoctrination of Children
Carys

Ship's Celticist
# 78

- Posted      Profile for Carys   Email Carys   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Writchey:
To those who complain they will not view a substantiating piece of information in the form of a brief video you should not be upset if I refuse to try to coddle your prejudice. How is referencing a video any different than quoting scripture is or referencing an article is to make a point?

The problem is that with an article one to skim read it quickly if necessary and if you're reading this discussion and it's online then you'll be able to read it. A 10 minute video takes 10 minutes and can't be skim read and requires more technology than this site. I don't follow links to videos because the computer I'm using generally doesn't have working sound so there's not a lot of point trying to watch a video with a soundtrack!

quote:

Children deserve unconditional love. If you can only bring yourself to show love to a child who obeys your every command, what kind of relationship do you have?

Agree completely and unconditional love is what Christianity is about. Unfortunately us sinful humans ain't very good at it a lot of the time!

Carys

--------------------
O Lord, you have searched me and know me
You know when I sit and when I rise

Posts: 6896 | From: Bryste mwy na thebyg | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I agree. One of the most salutary lessons any of us ever learns is to take our own ignorance and fallibility seriously. Ignorance and arrogance are close bedfellows. Hard to get across in any culture given over to self-fulfillment and "you're worth it".

I think I've said this before on the Ship. A Christian of my acquaintance working at a College of Further Education was marking a student's essay (on a matter of philosophy and ethics) which was laced with comments about the virtue of self-fulfilment. He put a sidenote against one of the comments which asked "What about self-denial?" Got his head in his hands in the subsequent tutorial! All kinds of stuff about antique morality, masochistic tendencies etc! Observed to me afterwards, with a grin. "Just wait til she has children!"

(xpost page turn! Agreeing with Johnny S and BroJames)

[ 29. November 2010, 14:45: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Posts: 21397 | From: Norfolk UK | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Writchey
Apprentice
# 16020

- Posted      Profile for Writchey   Author's homepage   Email Writchey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It is hard for me to fathom anyone using a computer on line today that cannot play streaming video. If you lack that capability, you are missing so much of the on-line experience.

Currently the trend here in the US is to blend television and the internet in such a way that you can view streamed videos from internet libraries with your television/broadband apparatus: YouTube in you living room, that sort of thing. Depending on your system, you can receive full high definition picture and sound. The very latest television technology is 3D.

A well equipped Lenova (formerly IBM) notebook computer is selling now for $299 US dollars. Besides the capacity to hook into streaming video it has a built in web camera.

Don't you think it might be time for an upgrade? It is the season to shop. Go buy yourself a new computer. To hell with austerity. You deserve a new computer. Sell some gold you've been hoarding.

Posts: 15 | From: Glendale, AZ | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
It is hard for me to fathom anyone using a computer on line today that cannot play streaming video. If you lack that capability, you are missing so much of the on-line experience.

Talking of on-line experience, there's discussion as well.

--------------------
mdijon nojidm uoɿıqɯ ɯqıɿou
ɯqıɿou uoɿıqɯ nojidm mdijon

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

Currently the trend here in the US is to blend television and the internet in such a way that you can view streamed videos from internet libraries with your television/broadband apparatus: YouTube in you living room, that sort of thing. Depending on your system, you can receive full high definition picture and sound. The very latest television technology is 3D.

A well equipped Lenova (formerly IBM) notebook computer is selling now for $299 US dollars. Besides the capacity to hook into streaming video it has a built in web camera.

Don't you think it might be time for an upgrade? It is the season to shop. Go buy yourself a new computer. To hell with austerity. You deserve a new computer. Sell some gold you've been hoarding.

If you're trying to make a point in a discussion, it's good manners to just make that point. Rather, you'd have us take 10 minutes to watch a video that can apparently be summed up in two sentences. I'm glad I didn't watch the video - not from having an incapable machine, but because it would have wasted my time.

It's not great manners to tell somebody they're behind the times when they are participating on a discussion forum which is purposely behind the times (i.e. text only).

I'm sorry if these things weren't obvious when you joined here.

[ 29. November 2010, 15:01: Message edited by: pjkirk ]

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OK, everyone. Enough talk about talking. Back to the topic or take it to Hell.

--Tom Clune, Purgatory Host

--------------------
This space left blank intentionally.

Posts: 8013 | From: Western MA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

- Posted      Profile for pjkirk   Email pjkirk   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I'm a little bit surprised that nobody has mentioned confirmation/adult baptism/rumspringa in this thread (at least not first or last 3 pages which I've read).

These seem to me to be at least a nod to what Yorick is so concerned about - an implicit recognition that these decisions of church membership should be made as somebody with more advanced mental faculties.*

Am I off the mark here?

*Though I do find it laughable that, from my understanding, the RCC thinks this is acheived at 7 years old.

--------------------
Dear God, I would like to file a bug report -- Randall Munroe (http://xkcd.com/258/)

Posts: 1177 | From: Swinging on a hammock, chatting with Bokonon | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
leo
Shipmate
# 1458

- Posted      Profile for leo   Author's homepage   Email leo   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

You are assuming that everyone has the money and interest to update their computer every so often.

Many use computers for word processing and e mails only.

--------------------
My Jewish-positive lectionary blog is at http://recognisingjewishrootsinthelectionary.wordpress.com/
My reviews at http://layreadersbookreviews.wordpress.com

Posts: 23198 | From: Bristol | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Spiffy
Ship's WonderSheep
# 5267

- Posted      Profile for Spiffy   Author's homepage   Email Spiffy   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:
I'm a little bit surprised that nobody has mentioned confirmation/adult baptism/rumspringa in this thread (at least not first or last 3 pages which I've read).

These seem to me to be at least a nod to what Yorick is so concerned about - an implicit recognition that these decisions of church membership should be made as somebody with more advanced mental faculties.*

Am I off the mark here?

*Though I do find it laughable that, from my understanding, the RCC thinks this is acheived at 7 years old.

I was confirmed at age 12 after a year-long course in my United Methodist church that included studying and visiting worship services of other denominations and religions.

I stood up in front of the church in a little blue and white dress, and with a group of eight of my peers swore I believed in God the Father, Jesus Christ his only Son, and the Holy Spirit.

(Just that, btw. We didn't do the whole Nicene Creed.)

I was lying through my braces when I swore that, because at that moment in time, I did not believe in God. It wasn't my parents, though, who were pressuring me. They offered me the option to quit frequently, even the night before.

Nope, it was my 12 and 13 year old peers who were pressuring me.

So the moral of the story is it's not just parents who influence such decisions, it can also be cultural and influenced by the thought of a party and cake and gifts.

I became a believer a year or two later, and I'm glad now I am a member of a church that gives you several opportunities throughout the year to renew the Baptismal Covenant. It's a check-in, in my mind, so that I can test it out and say, "Yep, I still believe this and I'm still going to do my best to live like this."

[ 29. November 2010, 20:46: Message edited by: Spiffy ]

--------------------
Looking for a simple solution to all life's problems? We are proud to present obstinate denial. Accept no substitute. Accept nothing.
--Night Vale Radio Twitter Account

Posts: 10281 | From: Beervana | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
When I was a social worker I worked with lots and lots of children that were brought up by parents that made no effort to impart values like what's right and wrong, important or unimportant, true or false to their children.

Let's just say they didn't look at the world with the clarity of impartial judgment that Yorick proposes.

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by pjkirk:

Well spotted. [Biased]

RC, Orthodox and C of E all indoctrinate but Baptists have got it right.

Was that what you were after?

(As easy as a double century at the Gabba.)

More seriously. Freedom of religion is one central tenet of non-conformity.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

- Posted      Profile for Barnabas62   Email Barnabas62   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Johnny S

Well, as a card-carrying Anabaptist, who am I to argue with that? But of course being a nonconformist I will!

Johnny S, in theory you are right. Dissenters, nonconformists, all spring from the same root of freedom of conscience in the face of a religious authority with which they disagreed. Some died by proclaiming that. We should never forget that.

But of course we do forget. Or at least some of us. But not me, sir. And certainly not when bringing up my children. "A man persuaded against his will is of the same opinion still".

The church that I referred to earlier, where the experience of the Spring Harvest speaker (as a young convert) was that "everything was forbidden, unless compulsory" was by denominational stamp impeccably nonconformist, and practised believers' baptism. We have far from a perfect track record, sunshine.

[But the cricket reference was good! O Yes!]

[ 29. November 2010, 21:48: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------
Who is it that you seek? How then shall we live? How shall we sing the Lord's song in a strange land?

Johnny S
Shipmate
# 12581

- Posted      Profile for Johnny S   Email Johnny S   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Barnabas62:
J We have far from a perfect track record, sunshine.

Too true.

I thought that the smilie showed that my last comment was supposed to be tongue in cheek - i.e. (as you said) it is true that Baptists are supposed to stand for this, but it doesn't mean they always do.

Posts: 6834 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

And speaking of far from perfect track records ...

quote:

Following tclune's general Hostly steer back onto issues, we've had a further discussion about this post and want to make a more specific point.

Writchey

This kind of gratuitous, heavy handed and condescending advice to any Shipmate about RL matters contravenes our normal standards for Commandment 3 and Purgatory guideline 3. Unless they specifically seek advice (more likely on All Saints) Shipmates Real Life choices, including Finances and IT choices, are their own business. Carys was giving you information, not inviting such advice.

We make due allowance for your inexperience in not giving you a full formal warning, but you are skating on very thin ice. Watch it.

Barnabas62
Purgatory Host

--------------------

Writchey
Apprentice
# 16020

- Posted      Profile for Writchey   Author's homepage   Email Writchey   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
The concept of universal child rights is of recent origin. Because of the overwhelming historical influence of male chauvinism and patriarchal privilege, children were never considered as persons imbued with natural rights. Children have seperable rights from their parents and there is a clear conflict between children's rights and parents rights in US law. What is the situation in the UK? Are there any serious efforts at disestablishment and how would that change the status of children.

Here is the concluding paragraph of the Virginia Statue for Religious Freedom authored by Thomas Jefferson and James Madison. This is a landmark legal document that became the basis of our first amendment free exercise and establishment clauses.

quote:

Be it enacted by General Assembly that no man shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever, nor shall be enforced, restrained, molested, or burthened in his body or goods, nor shall otherwise suffer on account of his religious opinions or belief, but that all men shall be free to profess, and by argument to maintain, their opinions in matters of Religion, and that the same shall in no wise diminish, enlarge or affect their civil capacities. And though we well know that this Assembly elected by the people for the ordinary purposes of Legislation only, have no power to restrain the acts of succeeding Assemblies constituted with powers equal to our own, and that therefore to declare this act irrevocable would be of no effect in law; yet we are free to declare, and do declare that the rights hereby asserted, are of the natural rights of mankind, and that if any act shall be hereafter passed to repeal the present or to narrow its operation, such act will be an infringement of natural right.

At the time this was authored children were considered the property of their parents to do with what they wished. There are still parents stuck in the 18th century that regard their children as their personal property. But the rest of us have moved on because we can see where proprietary parents step all over the rights of their children when they "compel [them] to frequent or support any religious worship, place, or ministry whatsoever..."

What if Jefferson and Madison had realized that children have the same natural rights as their parents, regardless of whether they have the understanding and power to exercise such rights? The statue would have read:

"No man or child shall be compelled to frequent or support any religious worship....,"

A natural right is one that nobody can mess with. Such rights are enumerated in human rights documents and they are set in stone. They apply to everyone.

Furthermore there is no such thing as an equivalent parent's natural right, extremist religionists to the contrary. Does anyone know differently?

If it is wrong to compel adults to worship a certain religion, why is it OK to compel a child?

Virginia statue

sharkshooter

Not your average shark
# 1589

- Posted      Profile for sharkshooter     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
If it is wrong to compel adults to worship a certain religion, why is it OK to compel a child?

United Nations Convention on the Rights of the Child
quote:
Article 14
1. States Parties shall respect the right of the child to freedom of thought, conscience and religion.

2. States Parties shall respect the rights and duties of the parents and, when applicable, legal guardians, to provide direction to the child in the exercise of his or her right in a manner consistent with the evolving capacities of the child.

This clearly gives parents the right to "inculcate".

--------------------
Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O LORD, my strength, and my redeemer. [Psalm 19:14]

Posts: 7772 | From: Canada; Washington DC; Phoenix; it's complicated | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Alogon
Cabin boy emeritus
# 5513

- Posted      Profile for Alogon   Email Alogon   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Paraphrasing Yorick:

My basic assumptions are as follows:

a) Atheist parents tend to want their children to become Atheists
b) All parents can influence their children to adopt their worldview
c) Atheist parents tend to try to influence their children not to adopt Christianity
d) People are more likely to be Atheists if their parents are Atheist.
e) There is a causal link between deliberate parental influence and uptake of Atheism.

Which of these fail(s) to make sense to you?

I don't doubt your sincerity in thinking that the world would be a better place without the church, which you believe to the extent of trying to talk people you have never even met out of their faith. It is therefore inconceivable to me that you do not, or would not, take certain steps to prevent the "uptake of Christianity" in one of your own children.
As far as ethical and responsible parenthood is concerned, I have no problem with that at all. It would be more suspicious if you failed to do so, like the proverbial cobbler whose children are left to go barefoot.

[ 30. November 2010, 18:50: Message edited by: Alogon ]

--------------------
Patriarchy (n.): A belief in original sin unaccompanied by a belief in God.

Posts: 7808 | From: West Chester PA | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

- Posted      Profile for tclune   Email tclune   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Alogon:
Which of these fail(s) to make sense to you?

What doesn't make sense to me is why atheists are so much better at their indoctrination than we are...

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Orlando098
Shipmate
# 14930

- Posted      Profile for Orlando098   Email Orlando098   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
[QB] The concept of universal child rights is of recent origin. Because of the overwhelming historical influence of male chauvinism and patriarchal privilege, children were never considered as persons imbued with natural rights.

What's it got to do with "male chauvinism and patriarchal privilage"? Were there thousands of women clamouring for better children's rights? Also it seems a big exaggeration to say that children were considered their parents' property to do with as they chose, as you said. Do you really think if a parent in the 18th Century murdered their child everyone would have thought it normal because the child was their property? Do you really think love of children was only invented (presumably by women) recently?

Your quotation from Jefferon and Madison is irrelevant, people until recently used the term "man" just to mean "human being".

Having said that it is true children's rights are generally more explicitly acknowledged and more universally respected, which is a good thing.

[ 30. November 2010, 20:45: Message edited by: Orlando098 ]

Posts: 1019 | From: Nice, France | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged
Doublethink.
Ship's Foolwise Unperson
# 1984

- Posted      Profile for Doublethink.   Author's homepage     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Well for a start it doesn't require you to get up on a Sunday morning, sing music you don't like, give over half your spare time you could have been spending with you friends or carrying out your hobbies, and has less public instances of blatant hypocrisy.

[crosspost]

[ 30. November 2010, 20:44: Message edited by: Think² ]

--------------------
All political thinking for years past has been vitiated in the same way. People can foresee the future only when it coincides with their own wishes, and the most grossly obvious facts can be ignored when they are unwelcome. George Orwell

Posts: 19219 | From: Erehwon | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Makepiece
Shipmate
# 10454

- Posted      Profile for Makepiece   Email Makepiece   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
T

Don't forget that childhood lasts quite along time. There is a big difference between a very young child and a teenager. A young child does not know what is good for them and it is entirely the parents responsibility to socialize them. With older children have less responsibility and obviously more freedom for the child should naturally go hand in hand with that. A baby is very much a part of it's mother before it is born. After it is born attachment theory suggests that the baby needs to remain securely attached to it's parents. In our individualistic society we tend to see each body as independent but according to attachment theory this is incorrect. Even adults need secure attachment but the difference is that they can choose who they are attached to. A child is not in a position to make that choice and so it is both right and appropriate that a securely attached child learns to understand the world from it's parents point of view.

--------------------
Don't ask for whom the bell tolls...

Posts: 938 | From: Nottingham | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
JoannaP
Shipmate
# 4493

- Posted      Profile for JoannaP   Email JoannaP   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Children have seperable rights from their parents and there is a clear conflict between children's rights and parents rights in US law. What is the situation in the UK? Are there any serious efforts at disestablishment and how would that change the status of children.

I am not going to attempt the first question but I am not aware of any serious efforts at disestablishment and, even if there were, given that this govt seems to be as keen on faith schools as the previous, I do not think it would change the status of children at all.

--------------------
"Freedom for the pike is death for the minnow." R. H. Tawney (quoted by Isaiah Berlin)

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 1877 | From: England | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
It's wrong for me to force an adult to eat certain foods. To prevent an adult from going wherever they want whenever they want. To insist that an adult go to a certain educational institution of my choosing even though I am not directly paying for their education. To limit which friends they are allowed to see, and for how long.

Children are not adults. I should have thought that was obvious.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
A natural right is one that nobody can mess with. Such rights are enumerated in human rights documents and they are set in stone. They apply to everyone.

Two comments.
1) Not everyone believes in natural rights. Some of us believe that the only rights are positive rights - rights granted by a real existing law. ('Natural rights is simple nonsense: natural and imprescriptible rights, rhetorical nonsense - nonsense upon stilts' - Jeremy Bentham, an atheist.) If a law says 'all men have rights' then it doesn't say 'all men and children'. If it's not written down in a legal document, it's not valid in law and it confers no right - certainly so if you don't believe in God.
Obviously, if there aren't any natural rights (or even if there are?) believers in natural rights shouldn't impose their beliefs on people who recognise them for the confused nonsense that they are.
2) The parents' right (in positive law) to educate their child is a right they hold against the State, churches, and their neighbours. It is not a right they hold against their child. The right is granted on the assumption that parents are better placed than anyone else - certainly better placed than the state - to speak on behalf of their child. Or else, that the child may be presumed to wish to be raised in the religious opinions of his or her parents until the child decides otherwise. To claim that children ought to be presumed to wish to be raised with no religious or humanist values until they decide otherwise is not I think obvious to neutral unbiased observers.
The problem with the concept of right here is that a right is something one claims against something else. By talking about parents' rights and childrens' rights one has already slipped in the idea that they are in conflict. The talk of rights here is mere rhetoric: the conclusion has already been hidden within the premise.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
pjkirk
Shipmate
# 10997

Well said, Dafyd. Very well said.

--------------------

Timothy the Obscure

Mostly Friendly
# 292

- Posted      Profile for Timothy the Obscure   Email Timothy the Obscure   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
I would suggest yet another interpretation of "natural rights"--one can believe that rights are "natural" (in some sense of that much-abused word) without believing that they inhere in individuals. I would suggest that rights are a property of relationships, and the rights children have in relation to their parents are very different from the rights adult citizens have in relation to the state. Children's rights are primarily the right to be loved and nurtured--and nurturing includes teaching them how to live. That means that parents have a duty to teach their children, to the best of their ability, how to live in the world as they understand it. To teach children that they should have no opinions about metaphysical matters until they are 14? 21? is to teach them that such things are not really important (it's not as if you could keep them in a box where they would never learn that religion exists--though that would amount to the same thing). There is NO SUCH THING AS NEUTRAL. The closest you can come is to say "This is what I believe--other people have different beliefs."

--------------------
When you think of the long and gloomy history of man, you will find more hideous crimes have been committed in the name of obedience than have ever been committed in the name of rebellion.
  - C. P. Snow

Posts: 6114 | From: PDX | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Writchey
Apprentice
# 16020

You need not make any presumptions about what a child would wish for their future to see that their right to an open future is seriously abrogated by what happens to them in the context of current indoctrination practice. Parents simply consign their children and afterwords often play only a subsidiary role in the indoctrination process. It is easy to find religious authorities on record who complain that parents are too lax in this regard. I have case histories of people whose parents did not even attend church services, yet they submitted their children thinking it was the noble and correct thing expected of them. An example of parent centric thinking and hereditary religion in action.

Let us try to envision the process from the vantage point of a three year old toddler, the age that serious efforts of indoctrination typically begin. Your parents, who you implicitly trust, lead you through the imposing doors of a towering building. In time you will meet scores of members of the congregation; the cleric in charge, the choir master, ushers, bus drivers, youth pastors or counselors, Sunday school teachers, camp counselors, and other children. All the people you meet are privy to the indoctrination program and most have probably been through the mill. They are all friendly and comforting and many will profess their love for you though they barely know you. The auditorium where you are taken is equipped with a state of the art sound and light system. There is a choir and an organist or other musicians and the entire experience is meant to impress, even overwhelm the people in the auditorium. No doubt you will witness adults around yourself waving their hands, perhaps weeping and showing great emotion at the proceedings. In many churches, the children are invited to come to the alter for some special attention by the head cleric in charge. They are fawned and fussed over and made to feel special. You learn that you are being watched over by supernatural beings 24/7. Some are protective, but others have a malicious intent. Pretty strong treatment for a child with no intellectual defenses and a poor grasp on reality.

At all times the child is surrounded by a member of the indoctrination team. Questions or resistance are quickly and firmly dealt with. It is not the case that just the parents are in conflict with the child's right to an open future. The entire institutional apparatus is in conflict with the child. There is no escape and no respite for some until they reach their majority. I know this from having studied hundreds of personal narratives.

Maybe parents are not so concerned about their children as we like to think. Do they even closely examine their motives? There is this presumption that parents must push their kids into church to obtain a moral education. Where does that come from, why is it so strong, and should we not question such assumptions? (Religions get their morality from culture, and supposed supernatural direction simply adds an added layer of complexity.)

Family Law professor James Dwyer writes:

quote:

"But in any case, to see the parents as simply misguided about the child's true interests is, I think, to put too generous a construction on it. For it is not at all clear that parents when
they take control of their children's spiritual and intellectual lives really do believe they are acting in the child's best interests rather than their own. Abraham when he was commanded by God on the mountain to kill his son, Isaac, and dutifully went ahead with the preparation, was surely not thinking of what was best for Isaac – he was thinking of his own relationship with God. And so on down the ages. Parents have used and still use their children to bring themselves spiritual or social benefits: dressing them up, educating them, baptizing them, bringing them to confirmation or Bah Mitzvah in order to maintain their own social and religious standing.

Consider again the analogy with circumcision. No one should make the mistake of supposing that female circumcision, in those places where it's practiced, is done to benefit the
girl. Rather, it is done for the honour of the family, to demonstrate the parents' commitment to a tradition, to save them from dishonour. Although I would not push the analogy too far, I think the motivation of the parents is not so different at many other levels of parental manipulation – even when it comes to such apparently unselfish acts as deciding what a child should or should not learn in school.

A Christian Fundamentalist mother, for example, forbids her child from attending classes on evolution: though she may claim she is doing it for the child and not of course
herself, she is very likely motivated primarily by a desire to make a display of her own purity. Doesn't she just know that God is mighty proud of her for conforming to His will? . . The chief mullah of Saudi Arabia proclaims that the Earth is flat and that anyone who teaches otherwise is a friend of Satan : won't he himself be thrice blessed by Allah for making this courageous stand? A group of rabbis in Jerusalem try to ban the showing of the film Jurassic Park on the grounds that it may give children the idea that there were dinosaurs living on earth sixty million years ago, when the scriptures state that in fact the world is just six thousand years old are they not making a wonderful public demonstration of their own piety? What we are seeing, as often as not, is pure self interest. In which case, we should not even allow a mitigating plea of good intentions on the part of the parent or other responsible adult. They are looking after none other than themselves.

Yet, as I said, in the end it hardly matters what the parents' intentions are. Because even the best of intentions would not be sufficient to buy them "parental rights" over their children. Indeed the very idea that parents or any other adults have "rights" over children is morally insupportable.

No human being, in any other circumstances, is credited with having rights over any one else. No one is entitled, as of right, to control, use or direct the life-course of another
person – even for objectively good ends. It's true that in the past slave-owners had such legal rights over their slaves. And it's true too that, until comparatively recently, the anomaly
persisted of husbands having certain such rights over their wives – the right to have sex with them, for instance. But neither of these exceptions provides a good model for regulating
parent-child relationships.

Children, to repeat, have to be considered as having interests independent of their parents. They cannot be subsumed as if they were part of the same person. At least so it
should be. Unless, that is, we make the extraordinary mistake that the US Supreme Court apparently did when it ruled, in relation to the Amish, that while the Amish way of life may be considered "odd or even erratic" it "interferes with no rights or interests of others" (my italics). As if the children of the Amish are not even to be counted as potentially "others".

3rdFooter
Shipmate
# 9751

- Posted      Profile for 3rdFooter   Email 3rdFooter   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
A strange article, Writchey, that somewhat undermines your argument for neutrality.

Take this example:-
quote:
though she may claim she is doing it for the child and not of course
herself, she is very likely motivated primarily by a desire to make a display of her own purity. Doesn't she just know that God is mighty proud of her for conforming to His will?

He presumes to know the (self-interested) motive of the mother and then draws a conclusion from it. I guess he could argue that it is his hypothetical scenario and hence the assumption is accurate, but then it just becomes a construction of little significance.

This example is a legal nonsense. To argue on the basis of motivation you are required to provide some evidence regarding the thoughts and opinions of the agents involved. This he does not do, merely supposing that her understanding is a child-like pat on the head for being a good girl and suggests it is likely. Are we on balance of probabilities here - in which case, I think it is more likely that mothers act out of maternal love.

The Prof must then either: a> assert that all parental action in matter religious is out of self interest and his analysis has this bias; or b> accept that his scenario does not cover all cases and that child centred religious instruction is possible.

Option a> leaves you no further forward. Option b> completely undermines your case. - What do you want?

--------------------
3F - Shunter in the sidings of God's Kingdom

Posts: 602 | From: outskirts of Babylon | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

What is quite amusing about this line of argument in the UK context is the way it doesn't stack up statistically. I was hoping to get some online access to stats from Peter Brierley's "The Tide is Running Out" but had to settle for this link. [I'm not that bothered about the associated argumentation in this link BTW.]

The link does contain the following comment which I think is well borne out in Peter Brierley's detailed analysis.

quote:
The order in which each age group declines in attendance suggests that the steep increase in the percentage of people 65 and over is caused by a steep fall in attendance of the <15, 16-19, and 20-29 age groups.
If actions by churches and Christian parents were generally coercive, then how is this pattern of declining attendance by young people to be explained? Maybe from some POV they "saw the light" i.e. that the church is antique and irrelevant to their lives, peddling wishful thinking as truth? But even if so, there does not appear to have been too much "in the way" of them "seeing the light". Their abilities to choose for themselves (the nub of the argument against indoctrination) do not seem to have been generally impaired. And as that is the heart of your argument, Writchey, this evidence hardly suggests a general risk.

Of course I agree that there are indeed folks of religious persuasion who succeed in brainwashing their children by coercive strategies and tactics. But if the stats in the UK are anything to go by, you are simply looking at exceptional evidence and asserting it represents commonplace practice and a commonplace danger to children, indeed a danger which would justify a legislative change. That is a stupid argument.

Put another way, if indeed there is over-controlling indoctrination going on generally, it is either very ineffective or remarkably counter-productive - at least in the UK. Young people are making their own choices and many are voting with their feet. And to judge from a recent thread in Purg started by Josephine, in the US as well.

[ 01. December 2010, 10:45: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Let us try to envision the process from the vantage point of a three year old toddler, the age that serious efforts of indoctrination typically begin. Your parents, who you implicitly trust, lead you through the imposing doors of a towering building. In time you will meet scores of members of the congregation; the cleric in charge, the choir master, ushers, bus drivers, youth pastors or counselors, Sunday school teachers, camp counselors, and other children. All the people you meet are privy to the indoctrination program and most have probably been through the mill. They are all friendly and comforting and many will profess their love for you though they barely know you. The auditorium where you are taken is equipped with a state of the art sound and light system. There is a choir and an organist or other musicians and the entire experience is meant to impress, even overwhelm the people in the auditorium. No doubt you will witness adults around yourself waving their hands, perhaps weeping and showing great emotion at the proceedings. In many churches, the children are invited to come to the alter for some special attention by the head cleric in charge. They are fawned and fussed over and made to feel special. You learn that you are being watched over by supernatural beings 24/7. Some are protective, but others have a malicious intent. Pretty strong treatment for a child with no intellectual defenses and a poor grasp on reality.

At all times the child is surrounded by a member of the indoctrination team. Questions or resistance are quickly and firmly dealt with.

The point of view from which you describe an experience inevitably colours the description of it. Although your description is ostensibly from the POV of a three year old child, it is very strongly coloured by your adult perception of the experience of church-going as one of being subjected to indoctrination. Also there are, I suspect, pond difference issues which mean that, even allowing for your particular perspective, parts of your description simply do not correlate to my own UK experience.

Let us change the colour of the lens through which we view the process. I have had a go at the same exercise from my own perspective. I'm not claiming that it is any more unbiased than yours.

quote:
By the time you're three you're already familiar with the building you walk into. It may well be the first large space in which a year or two back you exercised a new-found ability to walk. You encounter a mixed group of adults and children. Many of them are people you are familiar with and address by name – perhaps even their first name.

They are friendly and concerned for your well being. You will hear a lot about a God who loves you deeply, about Jesus who also loves you, and who knows what it is like to go through the same kind of experiences you go through.

If you have questions about what goes on people do their best to answer them.

The adults around you sit or stand or kneel for worship. They sing, they pray together. Some may raise their hands while singing others do not. Your parents encourage you to join in and take part. Disruption or loud talking during worship is discouraged, but if you have questions afterwards then your parents try to answer them.

The only question I want to ask is on what grounds do we argue that your account is true and mine is distorted, or vice versa.
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lamb Chopped
Ship's kebab
# 5528

- Posted      Profile for Lamb Chopped   Email Lamb Chopped   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Writchey, you goof. What kind of church have you encountered, that has scores of people in the leadership alone, including bus drivers and camp counselors; a state of the art sound and light system; and shows of great emotion every Sunday?

All I can say is such a church would be in the extreme minority. As for the average church, "small," "financially struggling," and "terminally disorganized" are the words that come to mind. Our strength, wealth, and love are all in the God that we have; from a human standpoint, we all should have failed centuries ago.

If you should happen to be U.S. based, drop me a line and you can come visit us. We meet in a basement classroom on folding chairs. (We do have state-of-the-art incandescent bulbs, though. [Big Grin] )

--------------------
Er, this is what I've been up to (book).
Oh, that you would rend the heavens and come down!

Posts: 20059 | From: off in left field somewhere | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
BroJames
Shipmate
# 9636

- Posted      Profile for BroJames   Email BroJames   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
LC, I'm really encouraged by your post. I'm sure there are pond differences but your church sounds like ours. (Our bulbs are state of the art low energy though)
Posts: 3374 | From: UK | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Lamb Chopped:
As for the average church, "small," "financially struggling," and "terminally disorganized" are the words that come to mind.

Ain't that the truth ..

I read that, chuckled. It so reminded me of the loveable, loving, scruffy, kindly, lot I associate with. Mind you, state of the art incandescent lightbulbs sounds a bit questionable. Are they eco-friendly long-life?

[xposted with BroJames who is not my sockpuppet, nor am I his!]

[ 01. December 2010, 11:37: Message edited by: Barnabas62 ]

--------------------

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
You need not make any presumptions about what a child would wish for their future to see that their right to an open future is seriously abrogated by what happens to them in the context of current indoctrination practice.

Sorry - you have not established that this 'right to an open future' exists. Such a putative right would be interfered with equally by bringing up the child in any determinate culture at all. Since you do not object to bringing up children in any determinate culture - and you couldn't intelligibly do so - you cannot believe that such a right exists.
There's a moral obligation on parents to bring up children in such a way that they are open-minded and self-critical as adults. But that doesn't establish a right, as can be seen (below) from considering what would be required to enforce such a right. Furthermore, you have not established that religious upbringing as such interferes with such a right. You have so far only considered the case of extreme fundamentalist religions, and of them you have cited the case histories of people who have left those religions. Everyone of your case history is of someone whose powers of independent judgement were not in the end compromised.

quote:
Maybe parents are not so concerned about their children as we like to think. Do they even closely examine their motives?
If it comes to that, are we supposed to believe that the atheist campaigners against 'indoctrination' are so concerned about other people's children as they would like us to think? That the atheist campaigners aren't rather motivated by the desire to see themselves as valiant crusaders against the religious evil? by vicarious revenge on their parents? by the desire to prove to themselves that only people who have been 'indoctrinated' fail to see their rightness?
If we're going to drop the general presumption of good faith, it won't be the parents who get hurt hardest.

Now I personally would rather children not be brought up in fundamentalist religions. The thing is, do I see that as a social evil that outweighs the inconvenience of outlawing it? And outlawing it is certainly the greater evil. Firstly, it could not be enforced without taking children from parents on a scale beyond the ability of any imaginable social service to cope. Secondly, it could not be enforced without a degree of intrusion into private life that is not acceptable. Thirdly, first they came for the communists' children, but I was not a communist so I did not speak out. If you grant the government the ability to determine what a parent may and may not teach, you grant the government far too much power.
Children do break away from fundamentalist religions. Totalitarian governments are harder to shift.

quote:
quote:
No human being, in any other circumstances, is credited with having rights over any one else. No one is entitled, as of right, to control, use or direct the life-course of another person – even for objectively good ends.

Is the professor claiming that vegetarian parents cannot bring up their children as vegetarians? Or that meat-eating parents cannot feed their children meat? That parents cannot bring their children up in their parents culture? Or instruct their children in politics? That the parents cannot choose which school to send their children to?
The professor is certainly engaged in special pleading here.

quote:
quote:
Unless, that is, we make the extraordinary mistake that the US Supreme Court apparently did when it ruled, in relation to the Amish, that while the Amish way of life may be considered "odd or even erratic" it "interferes with no rights or interests of others" (my italics). As if the children of the Amish are not even to be counted as potentially "others".

'Others' here surely means people outside the Amish way of life. And what the professor is complaining about is the children are not outside the Amish way of life.

But this does raise another question. Is it more of an interference in a child's upbringing to bring them up as an Amish, or to bring them up exposed to modern advertising? to modern ideas about warfare and military honour? to the persistent assumption in our media and culture that the measure of human worth is how much we earn and the measure of happiness is how much we consume? You complained in your post about the emotional effects of a conservative evangelical mega-church; but you seem quite complacent about the much more expensive and more insidious effects of modern advertising?

[ 01. December 2010, 11:22: Message edited by: Dafyd ]

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Many religionists appear to feel threatened by the inexorable and rapidly accelerating rise of secularism in the developed world. Fair enough, I suppose. As a result, I think, I’ve noticed an unmistakeable smell of self-interested defensiveness in their approach to any question (however academic) of the moral principles of indoctrinating children into religion, doubtless because they’re so frightened of the risks of ensuring children actually do have true freedom of choice- i.e., that they will choose not to follow the religion. Truth is, despite their parents’ best efforts to indoctrinate them, more and more young people are finding their broader socio-cultural freedoms permit them to defy and reject that indoctrination. It’s a sick joke that some here have offered this as a defence of the practice, submitting it as refutation of the effectiveness or even existence of parental indoctrination by claiming it doesn’t work anyway.

I’ve come to the heart-sickened opinion that honest and open grown-up discussion with religionists about the moral principles of intentional indoctrination is practically impossible because of this odorous militancy, which is a pity. Happily enough, though, I think their morbid fears about the eventual demise of the influence of religions on peoples freedoms are well enough founded, so ultimately it shouldn’t matter all that much.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Posts: 7574 | From: Natural Sources | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach82
Shipmate
# 3208

- Posted      Profile for Zach82     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Will we be required here to let our children decide for themselves if lying, stealing, and malice are right or wrong?

Zach

--------------------
Don't give up yet, no, don't ever quit/ There's always a chance of a critical hit. Ghost Mice

Posts: 9148 | From: Boston, MA | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

- Posted      Profile for Yorick   Email Yorick   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Irrelevant. Parental influence and education in other things is not the same as religious indoctrination. But it’s okay- I understand why you don’t want to answer the question.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
Originally posted by Yorick:
It’s a sick joke that some here have offered this as a defence of the practice, submitting it as refutation of the effectiveness or even existence of parental indoctrination by claiming it doesn’t work anyway.

Wow, Yorick! You appear to have lost the ability to scan. AFAICT, it wasn't "some", sunshine, that was me. [And of course that wasn't exactly what I said, was it? But that's another matter]

Have you ever heard of "damned if you do, damned if you don't"? Tell me, what must I do to be saved from this tendency to pernicious practice which you perceive and about which you are so concerned? Which particular scales do you see in my posts which are obscuring my vision?

--------------------

Boogie

Boogie on down!
# 13538

- Posted      Profile for Boogie     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Zach82:
Will we be required here to let our children decide for themselves if lying, stealing, and malice are right or wrong?

Absolutely - of course they have to decide for themselves. They can't just take your word for it.

And they do. I meet children every day who try out lying, stealing and malice - they then discover the consequences of such.

We learn far more by experience than simply being told what's what.

Interestingly I find it's the children with the most rigid, controlling parents find life the hardest when it comes to living and learning at school.

--------------------
Garden. Room. Walk

Posts: 13030 | From: Boogie Wonderland | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
tclune
Shipmate
# 7959

quote:
I’ve come to the heart-sickened opinion that honest and open grown-up discussion with religionists about the moral principles of intentional indoctrination is practically impossible because of this odorous militancy, which is a pity.

Are you sure you're not just smelling your own arse?

--Tom Clune

--------------------

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tclune:
quote:
I’ve come to the heart-sickened opinion that honest and open grown-up discussion with religionists about the moral principles of intentional indoctrination is practically impossible because of this odorous militancy, which is a pity.

Are you sure you're not just smelling your own arse?

--Tom Clune

There has been much intelligent conversation on both sides in this thread, but the OP has sidestepped many of the questions posted to him and instead now states the other side is immature and brainwashed. Perhaps he should re-read the thread and do a little introspection instead of being unhappy that not everyone agrees with him.

[ 01. December 2010, 12:45: Message edited by: Niteowl2 ]

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Snags
Utterly socially unrealistic
# 15351

- Posted      Profile for Snags   Author's homepage   Email Snags   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:

I’ve come to the heart-sickened opinion that honest and open grown-up discussion with religionists about the moral principles of intentional indoctrination is practically impossible because of this odorous militancy, which is a pity

Interestingly enough, over the years I've come to a similar conclusion, but in the other direction (that any atheist who starts in on this debate has already pre-judged everything, has a set of pet axioms which aren't open to challenge, and won't engage in actual discussion or debate as to why their axioms ain't necessarily so). This thread initially appeared to be a little more productive, but seems to have levelled out around the usual position.

Interestingly, AFAICS in this thread there's been a lot of unreserved agreement with the position that "indoctrination" (brainwashing, coercion, restriction of questioning, etc.) is immoral/bad, not least because it is not an expression of loving, responsible, 'whole' parenting. However, in other areas it comes back to what mdijon (I think) said: at some points on the continuum, one man's "indoctrination (brainwashing)" is another man's "indoctrination (teaching and education)". Fundamentally, it seems that you're not prepared to acknowledge that - OK, it gets a bit of lip service now and again, but then shortly appears to get discarded with a reversion to the more extreme position.

Maybe it's just one of those things that everyone's too close to, and it's too tied up in worldview, so one simply can't really see the basis on which "the other" operates, and it becomes a head-meet-desk exercise for all parties. Maybe that's why it often seems to degenerate into a bunch of straw men/parody/charicature arguments; blind supposition and assumption asserted as axioms; hard cases making bad law; and a feeling that it's not so much a dialogue as a series of faintly bemused and occasionally frustrated monologues [Smile]

I guess the root cause of the impasse is that whilst we may share a number of values (love=good, murder=bad etc.) the core of the worldview is fundamentally different (God, no god) and there's only so far most people can go at suspending their own worldview in analysing alternatives, let alone accommodating them.

--------------------
Vain witterings :-: Vain pretentions :-: The Dog's Blog(locks)

Posts: 1399 | From: just north of That London | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Tell me, what must I do to be saved from this tendency to pernicious practice which you perceive and about which you are so concerned?

I wasn’t referring specifically to you, btw, but since you ask, I have a question. Do you dispute that parents can avoid deliberately intending to indoctrinate their children in their (religious) worldview?

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Barnabas62
Shipmate
# 9110

quote:
quote:
Tell me, what must I do to be saved from this tendency to pernicious practice which you perceive and about which you are so concerned?

I wasn’t referring specifically to you, btw, but since you ask, I have a question. Do you dispute that parents can avoid deliberately intending to indoctrinate their children in their (religious) worldview?
No - and yes. I agree that any parent can and should avoid telling a child that "my beliefs" are the only ones which exist. I also agree that there is much to be said for providing children with information of, and experience of, the beliefs of others.

But the one thing that no-one can avoid is being themselves. World views are pervasive, affecting thoughts, speech and actions. And each of has, with varying levels of worked-outness, a world view which conditions us. I said earlier that a central value for me which I believe in completely and seek to both proclaim and live out is selfless love (the characteristic "agape" of Christianity) and I claim that it is precisely that value which has acted, and continues to act, as a guard against me "insisting on my own way" in the rearing of children. So my kids could not help "catching" at least some of that in the way my wife and I acted and talked. That is a matter of indoctrination and example and I freely admit to it.

Using that as an example, however, you get to a specific point which is worth making clear. Yes, it is a central Christian value but I have never claimed that only Christians are capable of expressing unselfish love, or that Christians express it with perfect consistency. To say either of those things would be a denial of the truth of things, both as I understand my faith, and as I have experienced life. My deepest desire remains the same however. That more people would live that way more consistently.

--------------------

Josephine

Orthodox Belle
# 3899

- Posted      Profile for Josephine   Author's homepage   Email Josephine   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Irrelevant. Parental influence and education in other things is not the same as religious indoctrination.

Why not? Seriously -- why is it different? How does teaching a child to be religious constrain their future choices any more or less than teaching a child to be vegetarian?

--------------------
I've written a book! Catherine's Pascha: A celebration of Easter in the Orthodox Church. It's a lovely book for children. Take a look!

Posts: 10273 | From: Pacific Northwest, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

B62, with respect, you haven’t answered the question.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

Niteowl

Hopeless Insomniac
# 15841

- Posted      Profile for Niteowl   Email Niteowl   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
quote:
Irrelevant. Parental influence and education in other things is not the same as religious indoctrination.

Why not? Seriously -- why is it different? How does teaching a child to be religious constrain their future choices any more or less than teaching a child to be vegetarian?
This is one question Yorick has avoided answering from the beginning. I'd also like to see his answer.

--------------------
"love all, trust few, do wrong to no one"
Wm. Shakespeare

Posts: 2437 | From: U.S. | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged
Yorick

Infinite Jester
# 12169

quote:
Originally posted by Josephine:
How does teaching a child to be religious constrain their future choices any more or less than teaching a child to be vegetarian?

I’m not the least bit interested in the parental inculcation of vegetarianism, or party politics, or football club fanhood. That's not what we're talking about here. Why don't we talk about the parental inculcation of religion?

Oh, I know.

--------------------
این نیز بگذرد

mousethief

Ship's Thieving Rodent
# 953

- Posted      Profile for mousethief     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Many religionists appear to feel threatened by the inexorable and rapidly accelerating rise of secularism in the developed world. Fair enough, I suppose. As a result, I think, I’ve noticed an unmistakeable smell of self-interested defensiveness in their approach to any question (however academic) of the moral principles of indoctrinating children into religion, doubtless because they’re so frightened of the risks of ensuring children actually do have true freedom of choice- i.e., that they will choose not to follow the religion. Truth is, despite their parents’ best efforts to indoctrinate them, more and more young people are finding their broader socio-cultural freedoms permit them to defy and reject that indoctrination.

If you disagree with Yorick, it's not because you have thought the matter out. It's because you are acting out of a knee-jerk fear of the rising tide of secularism.

Every single fucking time any kind of discussion like this comes up, this is what it devolves into -- name-calling and smug atheist self-righteousness.

--------------------
This is the last sig I'll ever write for you...

Posts: 63536 | From: Washington | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged
mdijon
Shipmate
# 8520

- Posted      Profile for mdijon     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Yorick, you've not answered many questions yourself recently.

You're not answering Joesphine's question - you might say that's not what you want to talk about, but it strikes me as a relevant parrallel. If you argue a similar indoctrination exists in all these other instances, then at least that is consistent, if a slightly paranoid view. If not, it seems inconsistent. It's a reasonable challenge.

Underlying all this, it seems to me, is an inability to pin down what indoctrination is. You can't reliably detect it by examining or talking to someone however thoroughly, they can't identify it themselves, and we can;t define it precisely. There is a demographic finding that can be explained in terms of a more complex series of outcomes than simply indoctrination/ not indoctrinated and that's it in terms of evidence.

Is this an act of faith on your part?

By the way, as an aside, I wonder what your daughter thinks of the whole debate we're having here. Does she think Christian parents inevitably indoctrinate their children?

Posts: 12277 | From: UK | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016