homepage
  roll on christmas  
click here to find out more about ship of fools click here to sign up for the ship of fools newsletter click here to support ship of fools
community the mystery worshipper gadgets for god caption competition foolishness features ship stuff
discussion boards live chat cafe avatars frequently-asked questions the ten commandments gallery private boards register for the boards

Ship of Fools

Post new thread  Post a reply
My profile login | | Directory | Search | FAQs | Board home
   - Printer-friendly view Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
» Ship of Fools   » Ship's Locker   » Limbo   » Circus: Mafia - Over by Christmas (Page 2)

- Email this page to a friend or enemy.  
Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Source: (consider it) Thread: Circus: Mafia - Over by Christmas
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
TOP SECRET STOP GENERAL ZURCON PLANNING NEW OFFENSIVE STOP ANZACS PLANNED IN FRONT LINE STOP ALL UNITS TO BE MADE BATTLE READY FOR IMMINENT ATTACK STOP

Lavinia finishes tapping out her telegram and wonders how many are going to die this time.

--------------------
Rent my holiday home in the South of France

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Le colonel Sylvain de la Botte Trouée was tired. The task of liaising with the British command in Belgium (apparently consisting entirely of lieutenants) was tedious to the utmost. To begin with they weren't civilised, i.e. spoke no French. How can one come fight a war anywhere without first learning the language? This meant he was unable to understand what they were saying. When they made an effort for him, they babbled: „We avons nouveau plan splendid! We bombardons l'ennemi pour 12 heures et ensuite l'infantrie promène à l'attaque très slowly! Voilà!“
Sylvain opened his little vocabulary book and jotted: „new plan“ = „déjà vu“.
Even worse was the fact that the local girls spoke only Flemish which hampered his favourite tactic of enacting the sensitive poète maudit in uniform.
Still he was happy to support any bally new plan so long as it did not involve him walking anywhere. Least of all near the front. Thus, being among British commanding officers was most reassuring.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lt. Alice Adler, Signal Corps, USA, paused outside the church/bar. She had never tasted a drop of alcohol- her family were strict Methodists- but she wanted company, and the sight of a nurse at the bar emboldened her.

Alice felt a long way from her home in rural Illinois. Her father, president of the Farmers' Savings and Loan in her small town, had encouraged her to take French and piano lessons in order to compete with the more cosmopolitan girls on the marriage market. Little had he realized that becoming fluent in French would allow Alice to enlist in the bilingual "Hello Girls".

At a loose end after college, and rapidly approaching irretrievable spinsterhood, Alice had decided that Paris, France was a better place to find adventure than Paris, Illinois. But her unit had been posted to provide telephone communication to the troops in rural Belgium. She was surrounded once again by flat farmland.

Alice stepped shyly into the bar, avoiding the glances of the rough-looking soldiers, and murmured to the barman "Je voudrais un verre de lait, s'il vous plait."

[Sorry for taking so long to post this. Real life intervened.]

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Very few things surprised Battista Lelonde any more; but even he winced at the 'French' of the girl in front of him. He sighed, and replied in English.

"I can get you a glass of milk, but trust me; you would be safer wiz ze wine! May I suggest you take a seat wiz ze other girl, and one of my nieces will serve you soon."

Batty always had a 'niece' or two helping out. None of them were related to him, of course; but he knew they would be safer with him than at the mercy of the military outside. He was an old softie at heart; but a shrewd one. The girls were like tumbleweed. They stayed for a while; were useful for bringing more men to his establishment, getting to know the militia from every land and giving him black market contacts. Strictly speaking, men in uniform were not allowed to congregate except with their own class and country.

But Batty's Bar provided a meeting place for all those who knew how to avoid the rules. True, it was raided regularly, but his network always gave him notice, and he knew who to pay off. He also knew where to find just about anything that anyone wanted; provided it wasn't blown to bits first.

"Agnes!" he called; "Please to bring some fresh milk to ze table of ladies over there; and refill ze glass of ze chaplain who is so busy writing letters in ze corner."

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Posts: 7080 | From: Canberra Australia | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Burt was a 2nd Lieutenant and liked the army. He was only 24 and joined up to see the world. He was seeing things and meeting people he never thought he would. He sat with the others at Batty's and watched the girls.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
General Zurcon strides through the hotel lobby, ignoring the salutes of personnel springing to attention as he passes. “Right, Major – get me a drink. Whisky. None of the infantry rubbish. Decent Scotch. And set up meetings for tomorrow. Anyone around here who looks like they might have brains in their heads, not on my boot, what! Oh and have someone telegram Rollins’ family with the usual, you know, the Aussie chap.’

The general heads upstairs to his suite, and Major Daute sighs, and nods to a waiter as he decants some of the usual infantry rubbish into a black-labelled bottle marked ‘Johnnie Walker’. Daute instructs Lavinia to wire Lt. Randall’s parents in South Africa, to express condolence on their loss, and to emphasise in particular the general’s strong regard for the unfortunate young man, and how deeply and personally Sir Herbert has been affected by his tragic passing.

He then jots down the names of those that General Zurcon has spoken with that day, and whose views he might be interested in hearing again. The list in the appointment book reads as follows:

“Nurse Rhoda Autenrieth (Autenrieth Road), English(?), Red Cross

Battista Lalonde (Banner Lady), Belgian(?), civilian

Lord Jarvis Fastolfe of Harrisford (JFH), English, aristocrat and gourmand

Lt. Hearte (Hart), English, Catering Corps

Lt. Dai Lycatell (Dafyd), Welsh, former Army

Second Officer Lavinia Hodge (la vie en rouge), English, WRNS

Corporal Jacob Marley (Jay-Emm), English, Army

Major Conte Leo di Leonato (leonato), Italian, Tank Corps

Agnés Machant (Hennah), Belgian, civilian

Sgt. Harry Bournemouth (Imaginary Friend), English, Army Ordnance Corps

Colonel Sylvain de la Botte Trouée (Sylvander), French (Belgian?), staff officer

Lt. Alice Adler (Antisocial Alto), American, Signal Corps

Lt. Burt (CuppaT), English(?), Army
”

Three other names are scrawled illegibly underneath, and might possibly look something like:

"Pax Romana

AristonAstuanax

Amorya
”.

[ 09. December 2010, 19:29: Message edited by: Eliab ]

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

- Posted      Profile for Eliab   Email Eliab   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Day 1: “Things We Want to Know”

Morning.

The General rises early, his calculating mind already active in considering all the variables and unknown factors for the coming Big Push. He is already in uniform and working at his desk while most of the staff and civilians are still rubbing their eyes and covering their ears at the sound of the sporadic German bombardment.

The General’s strident voice can be heard throughout the hotel:

“Yes? That you, Daute? Oh, it’s you. I’m seeing you later today aren’t I? Oh yes, Daute has you down here. Well, what do you wa... what the hell are you ... don’t point that at me, damn your ey...”.

Even against the constant background crump of minenwerfers and the strafing of machine guns, the report of a heavy revolver at close range is impressive. The noise brings a crowd of soldiers and civilians running to General Zurcon’s office. The British hero sits bolt upright in his chair, a surprised and angry expression on his face, and the engraved fountain pen, one flourish of which could send fifty thousand young men to their deaths, is still clasped tightly in his right hand. The deep crimson stain spreading out over the desk and onto the plush carpet, however, clearly shows that General Sir Herbert Zurcon has signed his last order.

The killer is gone. But the General’s list of appointments is still on the desk, and it must be one of those names who has struck so grievous a blow to the Allied war effort.

The word goes out swiftly. If any of those sixteen attempt to leave Ypres, they are to be shot on sight. Until the General’s murderers are identified and killed, all of them are under suspicion.

--------------------
"Perhaps there is poetic beauty in the abstract ideas of justice or fairness, but I doubt if many lawyers are moved by it"

Richard Dawkins

Posts: 4619 | From: Hampton, Middlesex, UK | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Nominations are now open and will remain so until 9:00pm (GMT) tomorrow, Friday 10 December.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Jacob was looking forward to harassing that "Belgic Tart" with the swing [For some reason Agnes had declined to give her name, or indeed done anything to give the name the soldiers called her].
However a bell rang out, and sergeant McGirk [npc] quickly sent all those off duty on duty. As Jacob was readying his Lee Enfield, partially confused, partially on automatic, a runner came in. As he made his way to the door he was stopped and his orders changed to guard the stables.
He wasn't aware that Sgt Mcgirk had take his place at the gate and was looking into the court more than not, the kitchen guard also was keeping a strong eye on him.

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

- Posted      Profile for Jay-Emm     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
[OOC] I don't think it matters if we actually lynch someone or not, yet.
However it's only if there's the possibility of a lynching that the Mafia's will struggle to emulate a normal citizen.
With that in mind and to get the ball rolling I'll nominate Ariston, as it will give an opportunity to find out more about his character and he played last time.
OOC coz Jacob despite his many vices wouldn't offer a sacrificial lamb on no grounds.

Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agnés was mildly concerned to hear that the General had disappeared. Not that she had been at all close to him; but when he had spotted her loitering in the hotel lobby, he had made the effort to come over and talk to her, and had shown a great interest in developing her career.

When she had returned that evening as requested, a tall man with a scruffy moustache (English, presumably) had told her in a mixture of basic Flemish and gesture that the General was not available, and never would be. Now that the possibility had vanished, she was growing even more concerned about her prospects. Maybe she should go down to one of the few establishments still in business and see if old Battista remembered her grandmother well enough to offer her a job behind the bar.

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Antisocial Alto
Shipmate
# 13810

- Posted      Profile for Antisocial Alto   Email Antisocial Alto   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Solely because of the murder method, I nominate Colonel Sylvain de la Botte Trouée for lynching.

As a high-ranking liaison officer, he would have a good excuse to be in the General's headquarters, whereas civilians or other ranks might attract notice. Also, as an officer, he would own a sidearm.

Posts: 601 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

- Posted      Profile for Banner Lady   Email Banner Lady   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hennah:
. Now... she was growing even more concerned about her prospects. Maybe she should go down to one of the few establishments still in business and see if old Battista remembered her grandmother well enough to offer her a job behind the bar.

"Mon Dieu!" thought Battista; "if only you knew what I remembered about your grandmother...actually there is a very good possibility we are in fact related...." but out loud he said:

"Of course you must come and work here, where you will be much safer. Just quietly, I have great need of a girl who knows how to look after farm animals. These barbarians in uniform slaughter everything in their path for meat, yet still demand their milk and eggs for breakfast. I have two milch cows hidden nearby, and a hen house in the belfry. Would you care to look after them for me when the bar is not open?"

--------------------
Women in the church are not a problem to be solved, but a mystery to be enjoyed.

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

quote:
Originally posted by Jay-Emm:
[OOC] I don't think it matters if we actually lynch someone or not, yet.
However it's only if there's the possibility of a lynching that the Mafia's will struggle to emulate a normal citizen.
With that in mind and to get the ball rolling I'll nominate Ariston, as it will give an opportunity to find out more about his character and he played last time.
OOC coz Jacob despite his many vices wouldn't offer a sacrificial lamb on no grounds.

It is unclear to me whether you intend this to be a nomination, or merely an OOC suggestion/statement of intent. At the moment, I'm inclined to treat it as a nomination, but please confirm.

For the avoidance of any doubt, any future nominations should be made in character, and it would be helpful to phrase them "I nominate..." or "I accuse..." with the name of the person you suspect in bold.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Sylvander
Shipmate
# 12857

- Posted      Profile for Sylvander   Author's homepage   Email Sylvander   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Eliab:
“Colonel Sylvain de la Botte Trouée (Sylvander), French (Belgian?)”.

I beg your pardon!? Referee, come over, please. This slander is clearly a court-martial offence. With a pompous name like this, how could le Colonel be Belgian?!

quote:
Anyone around here who looks like they might have brains in their heads,

[Frown] , not fair!

Le colonel thought that the British had shown some reason after all. Everything would be a lot less messy if instead of sending them to the trenches the British shot a few thousand of their own men each day themselves. A general seemed not a bad start for this new strategy.

At this stage, with no information available all nominations are naturally guesswork.

What we need is people talking so that their reasonings allow analysis, if necessary later. Quiet players are suspicious. Even if they are citizens they are not useful.

Le colonel Sylvain de la Botte Trouée has been nominated. So true to my word I ought to talk.

1. Nominating someone on day 1 is not usually a favourite pastime of conspirators (of course that is not certain - cf. the last game with all conspirators unexpectedly (but accidentally!) voting en bloc on day 1). This would indicate to me at this stage that Lt Alice Adler is more likely innocent than not - but then this might be precisely the (wrong) conclusion intended.
[by the way: thx for this interesting link "Hello Girls".]
I still hate you for nominating me, though. [Biased]

2. There is no excuse for keeping quiet. Even the fanatic (detective) can post freely at this early stage (when s/he cannot yet have investigated anyone). S/he can even throw around accusations or declarations of trust without misleading us in case of his later death. After the first night however he should leave clear messages that cannot be misinterpreted after his death. So whomever s/he expressed suspicion or trust of in inconspicuous words that everybody uses s/he should only do so sparingly, i.e. regarding people whom s/he already investigated. After his/her death any expression of suspicion or trust they made after the first night must be readable as a 100 percent reliable piece of information.
The citizens also need to talk to help the detective to hide such revelatory remarks.

Can I reasonably suspect anyone at this stage? No. But I can encourage someone to talk (in defence) by nominating them.
I nominate Amorya
a) She is quiet, has not even taken a role - I want her to talk
b) As a new player she is blank space, so I want her to talk
c) Another nominee makes my lynching less likely.

--------------------
A martyr is someone living with a saint.

Posts: 1589 | From: Berlin | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged
leonato
Shipmate
# 5124

- Posted      Profile for leonato   Email leonato   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Leo was disturbed by the news of the General's death. He was used to assassinations, they happened all the time in Napoli but he thought the English were usually more careful.

For the time being he did not particularly suspect anyone, but he was concerned about the three mysterious people hovering about the hotel who had yet to introduce themselves.

He wanders off to the bar to see if they have some grappa to calm his nerves, and, who knows, maybe there is someone around who knows how to cook spaghetti.

--------------------
leonato... Much Ado

Posts: 892 | From: Stage left | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Father Didier, O.C.S.O. pushed his spectacles back onto the bridge of his nose. Things had been extremely busy at the Abbey of Saint Sixtus; between his own monastic duties to God, his continued studies of the Blessed John Duns Scotus (nothing quite like it to keep the mind sharp, even if reading his passages on God's knowledge of possible things seemed to count as both contemplation and penance simultaneously), the need to minister to the Allied soldiers and refugees who had encamped in the fields around the abbey, and the necessity of labor to support the monastery even in times of war . . .

It seemed as if his work would never be at an end.

"Brother Thelonius, could you please tend to the kettle this morning? It seems that I have been summoned by the General's commission to account for myself. Oh, and it would be a great favor to me if you could ensure that the yeast we pitched the other day has taken; I'm afraid that malt is something far too dear these days for even a single batch to go to waste, especially if, through prudence and prayer, we might prevent it."

Br. Thelonius smiled and bowed before silently returning to work. There was something very contemplative about the quiet, humble work of the brewery; from humble grain scorned by the proud and weeds that the once thought hardly fit for the fire, a new and living gift of joy for the world springs. Even in these hard times, the monks practiced their craft with the care befitting those who would seek to imitate the Creator in their every deed.

Leaving the abbey was always hard for Fr. Didier; he had joined the Order as a young man—his graduation from Louvain and the beginning of his novitiate may as well have been simultanious—and was extremely attached to the community in which he lived. The vow of stability was no longer something imposed, but rather a habitus, an intermediate "second nature" that had become part of him, an addition to his very self. With his head bowed, he passed through the abbey gates and into the secular world; a passing cart gave him a ride as far as Poperinge, from which it was only too easy to travel to Ypres.

Father entered the hotel, finding the Council of War already assembled. He straightened his scapular as he entered, and began his apologia, calmly preaching to the assembled congregation:

"I'm not precisely certain why I, of all people, should stand accused of political intrigue, much less of murder. Though I realize that one can never be too certain of things these days—we live in uncertain times, and the reality of war is not something any of us could have ever been aware of before we all became far too aware of what is only all too real—I can assure you that I have no desire to see any child of God die by the hand of their brother or sister, to say nothing of my own. Though, like all men and women of good will, I sincerely wish for justice to be done and for each to receive what is proper, I do not believe this purpose will be accomplished by killing at random; if anything, our current ignorance makes acting for the sake of justice by bringing about punishment impossible, for, as the Subtle Doctor says, "before anything can be willed for the sake of an end, it must first be known." Thus, I would be in favor of learning more before we take any rash action that might result in yet another unnecessary death.
"Therefore, in the interest of being a light unto the darkness, I would like to give Lavina Hodge an opportunity to defend her innocence."

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dai Laicattell (unfortunately he misspelt his name the first time) sighed. He didn't have a rhyme for Zurcon (lurk on?) or murdered.
The best he could come up with on the spur of the moment was:

The general was shot,
Which usually happens - not.

How was he supposed to write immortal verse under these conditions?
Dai was forming theories about what he thought the murderers would do over the course of the day. But if he said what he thought the murderers might go and do the opposite (assuming they paid attention to him, which to be fair they probably wouldn't).
He absently scratched the place where his foot had been.

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Posts: 10567 | From: Edinburgh | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Harry woke with a musty head and that vague feeling that something was the matter. He ran through his mental check list: limbs, weapon, helmet, boots, pack; all seemed in order. His eyes gradually faded into focus and he could see that it was light already. Shit! I've overslept again. The commotion outside was not subsiding. What are those fuckers up to? Swinging his legs over the edge of the bed, Harry stood and, once he had made sure that up was staying upwards, went to the door. The hallway was abuzz with people running everywhere.
"What the fuck's the matter with everyone?" he rasped at the first private who came near him.
"General Zurcon's been shot!"
The private scampered down the hallway before Harry's brain could frame a reply, but slowly it dawned on Harry that this was likely to be a very bad thing. Who the hell would shoot a general? The Ordnance Corps had been working overtime the last week preparing all the munitions needed for what could only be a big push at the German line. Not that anyone had said that this was going to happen, but it was obvious to a soldier of Harry's experience that you don't send shells to guns unless you intend on firing them soon. So was this a conspiracy? Aristocratic fucker probably shot himself by mistake, stupid bugger. Where's breakfast?.

The mess had shut already, so Harry was left to fend for himself as far as food was concerned. He noticed a crowd gathering at the bar, and wandered over in the hope that there was something edible to be found. He was disappointed, but the fact that a lynch mob was forming was pleasing entertainment for a while so he stayed to watch. After hearing a couple of people speak and nominate (or perhaps not) some of the others, it became clear that nobody else thought the General stupid enough to have been the author of his own death. That much being clear, the natural authoritarian in him forced him to his feet:
"I'm all for giving someone a fucking good kicking over this, but let's get one thing straight: We can't know right now which one of us wankers offed the General. We're all guessing so let's not take anything too far or too personally. That said, quiet people give me the fucking creeps so if you want to avoid my suspicion then talk. That goes for everyone, officers, civilians, foreigners, pricks, the lot. Trust me, I've seen some shit on the line and a bullet through the head of a few people in the name of King and Country is nothing to me so I will follow through.
"Another person who's being far too quiet is that Pax Romana so I nominate them for a lead breakfast. My only reason is their silence: Like I said, we're all guessing."

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord Fastolfe entered the bar, ordered a cup of hot chocolate (made carefully, using only real cocoa and the finest milk Belgium had to offer - but of course he trusted the native owner), and then realized that this populace needed guidance. They needed leadership. At once he let his voice spring with the deepest of tones, mightier than ever a bishop's, graver than the no man's land a couple of miles away...
"My dear fellow people, and critters of others' possession, let's not be hasty. We must remember that in these serious matters there is a day tomorrow, and a day after that, and so on and so forth. The General is dead, and I'd be surprised if anyone is weeping over a poor upstart who most likely only got what was coming to him. I could even have done it myself, come to think of it, had he only not been married to the cousin of my sister's best friend's husband. Anyhow, I would like to offer whoever's responsible for this a drink of the best chocolate this house holds, or if he or she should hold an inferior taste, just any drink he should wish for!"
No one said a word. Fastolfe's wise plan had failed, but he didn't lose his ground for a second. At least not a minute.
"All right then, it would seem our perpetrator, who also obviously happens to be just a regular traitor, would prefer to remain anonymous. Now it is imperative that even if we would like to get rid of anyone in the group - I'm talking about the Welshman, Dai Laicattell - let's remember that everyone is innocent until proven Irish, just as always. However, I am of the opinion that we need to discuss things, and nothing procures conversations as much as rumours and accusations, so please do keep filling in on what you are all thinking and what you are deciding upon, and why, of course. That's all, folks! Let the gossip continue, dear subjects!"
Lord Jarvis Fastolfe of Harrisford sat down, pleased with the stirring effect his words had had. Nothing he hadn't intended upon, and precisely what he had intended upon. Naturally. He was almost certain. He thought.

ETA: It was not in an aristocrat's manner to accuse anyone outright. He thought he had been clear in his nomination of the petty Welshman, and there could be no doubt that the others understood what he meant, were they civilized people - which should apply to most of them, save possibly the Italian.

[ 10. December 2010, 10:44: Message edited by: JFH ]

--------------------
"I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable."
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

- Posted      Profile for la vie en rouge     Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
That's interesting. Everyone knows that a young lady like me who has acquired all kinds of useful life and analytical skills furthering the cause of VOTES FOR WOMEN! is going to be most useful ally to have around if things starting getting messy. After all, when that nasty Mr Eliab tried to infiltrate the suffragettes it was me that found him out.

Father Didier knows this as well as anyone, so I wonder why he would be trying to get me out of the way so soon when there's no evidence whatsoever to link me to the crime. I assure you that I was in the telegraph room wiring the family of that poor unfortunate ANZAC.

Anyway I am deeply suspicious of someone who's first action is to nominate a person who ought to be a potential asset. Either Fr Didier is nominating me at random for reasons best known to himself in which case I invite him to explain himself more fully, or he's decided from the start that I need to be eliminated, on the basis of zero evidence. I shall be watching him closely (or alternatively if I buy the farm I advise the rest of you to watch him closely. My legendary detecting skills make me a potential target and suggest that someone needs to be looking out for me [Help] ).

NB I am not (yet) saying for certain that I think he's guilty. Just that my suspicions have been invoked. [Paranoid]

--------------------

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

- Posted      Profile for An die Freude   Email An die Freude   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Lord Fastolfe was rather baffled by this brave suffragette. It did indeed seem rather bold, not to say foolish, to proclaim so openly that one is a fanatic given that the nurse cannot heal wounds - only make them bearable for a single day... It would be a great shame to lose the lovely young woman though - she almost seemed worthy of a vote. Not that votes should ever have anything to do with major decisions, but at least he decided to send the lovely woman some of his finest chocolate some day...

--------------------
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Posts: 851 | From: Proud Socialist Monarchy of Sweden | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged
Hennah

Ship's Mother Hen
# 9541

- Posted      Profile for Hennah   Email Hennah   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Agnés was feeling slightly better about things. While not being blessed with beauty or particular brains, she was, however, a sensible girl and a very hard worker. Battista had been so sweet to her and she was pleased to be working with animals again. The downside, however, was spending more time around the bar, where there had been several commotions; the most recent being a series of speeches by a man who looked far too pleased with himself for his own good. One to keep an eye on, she thought, and to keep one's derriére away from pinching fingers.

--------------------
Never stand behind satan in a Post Office queue: the devil takes many forms.

Posts: 925 | From: The Henhouse, Beside The Seaside, Kent | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Oh I'm not claiming to be a fanatic. Just a very, very good mafia player [Biased]

Fr Didier knows this.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Rhoda's head was swimming what with all the nominations, and the is-a-fanatic / isn't-a-fanatic intrigue surrounding Lavinia Hodge.

She waited to hear what the nominees has to sat for themselves.

--------------------
Truth

Posts: 9559 | From: starlight | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

To expand on my earlier reasonings - there are a couple of possibilities here:

Option n° 1) I am guilty.

If this is the case, then I am most likely a very devious and evil Machiavellian criminal mastermind and you are all in big trouble [Snigger] . My Italian cousin Sylvia carried out a highly successful murderous rampage after all. If this is the case it's a good idea to get onto me early before I wipe you all out and Fr Didier is quite right to accuse me (and make me start talking, so more likely to tie myself up in knots later on) immediately.

HOWEVER, there is so far no reason to suspect me or anyone else. I would guess that there are probably four conspirators at most, so if Fr Didier's nomination is made at random then it only stands a one in four chance of being right. So it strikes me as a big risk to nominate someone so potentially useful (and yes I know this is arrogant, so sue me [Razz] ) as me. Why nominate me and not someone else?

Option n° 2) I am innocent.

If the conspirators are feeling bold, they have decided to start taking their enemies down from the start. Their main enemies are (a)the fanatic, (b) the nurse and (c) the clever and analytical. At this juncture there are few clues to the identity of (a) and (b) so they might as well go after (c). I didn't think that Mr Eliab's infiltration of the suffragettes had made it as far as the Belgian press (not to mention that little stint on the London stage as the Red Cat Goddess), but if someone here has heard about it, they might decide that I am a good candidate for (c). Add to this that the hero of the suffragettes is likely to be protected by the nurse so trying to get me overnight could be a bit difficult until the murderers have a better idea who the nurse and fanatic are. That means being bolder and taking me down in broad daylight.

I don't see why someone who genuinely has no idea who the killers are would want to be endangering someone who, if innocent, needs to be kept alive for as long as possible. The benefits of keeping me alive and reasoning (3/4 chance that I am innocent) seem to outweigh the disadvantages of lynching me (1/4 chance that I am guilty), AFAICT.

So, once again, I would like to hear Fr Didier's reasons for nominating me.

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

- Posted      Profile for Autenrieth Road   Email Autenrieth Road   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Autenrieth Road:
She waited to hear what the nominees has to sat for themselves.

Not only was Rhoda's head swimming, but she had gone fumble-fingered on her iTypewriter. Make that "what the nominees had to say..."

--------------------
Truth

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

- Posted      Profile for Ariston   Author's homepage   Email Ariston   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
quote:
Originally posted by la vie en rouge:

So, once again, I would like to hear Fr Didier's reasons for nominating me.

Oh, that's simple—when reading the transcript of deliberations, your name was at the top of the last page. I must say, you seem to be mounting a very spirited defense, accounting for every possibility but the obvious one!

--------------------
“Therefore, let it be explained that nowhere are the proprieties quite so strictly enforced as in men’s colleges that invite young women guests, especially over-night visitors in the fraternity houses.” Emily Post, 1937.

Posts: 6849 | From: The People's Republic of Balcones | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

quote:
quote:
...mangled accusation...

It is unclear to me whether you intend this to be a nomination, or merely an OOC suggestion/statement of intent. At the moment, ...
I apologise, it was a nomination. I'll remake it according to the rules.

Had Jacob known he was suspected of such crime he would have picked anyone, such as that Ariston chap.

Jay-Emm
Shipmate
# 11411

Jacob now knew the person he had accused was Fr Didler,. Jacob suspected that the next hours would hold much mocking.
Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
OC apology: I'm really sorry I haven't posted my intro yet. Some real life unfortunately got in the way, but I think I'm OK now. I'm just composing an intro, post to follow in the next half hour!
Posts: 2383 | From: Coventry | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged
Banner Lady
Ship's Ensign
# 10505

Battista looked up with his customary smile as the Italian tank commander came in. He liked doing business with the Italians, for they understood the finer things of life very well. Only yesterday Conti Leo had suggested an exchange of two crates of finest Napoleonic brandy which had been 'liberated' from a chateau for some decent tank fuel.

After a little negotiation with a certain sergeant in ordnance, everyone was satisfied. The tank now had plenty of fuel in reserve, Batty's bar was restocked, and Harry - well, if Harry was a little drunker than usual, no one would take much notice. But at least good brandy was not being used instead of gasoline, which is what so many of these barbarians would do with it.

What was disturbing however, was news from the big hotel that a General had been shot and accusations were flying.
"Six?" asked Battista incredulously. "Is it possible to have six people out of sixteen to vote for?"

--------------------

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

- Posted      Profile for Amorya   Email Amorya   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Young Eliza Bradshaw wanted to fight for her country. Since the war was declared, she had proudly watched her brothers go off to fight, and knew that they were doing their bit to secure British victory. When the letter came from her brother Henry's commanding officer, telling the family that he was missing in action and had most likely died a hero's death, she didn't cry. After all, dying for his country is the most glorious thing a man can do, and to cry for him would be demeaning to his memory.

As the months of war passed, Eliza felt that her efforts to help her country were insufficient. At seventeen, she was old enough to work in the munitions factory in Coventry (converted from a car factory at the start of the war). But as the news reports came back reporting of battlefield casualties and the need for more men to fight, she made up her mind. Signing up as a nurse (claiming to possess basic first aid skills), she was sent out to Belgium to help the front line casualties.

She fully intends to take part in the fighting, if she can find a way. At the moment, she has newly arrived in Ypres just as they are gearing up for a new offensive, so she plans to spend some time getting her bearings and working out what's going on. She's heard whispers of a conspiracy against the British forces, and hopes that by keeping her ears open she can see what she can discover.

[ 10. December 2010, 17:56: Message edited by: Amorya ]

Amorya

Ship's tame galoot
# 2652

quote:
Originally posted by Sylvander:
Can I reasonably suspect anyone at this stage? No. But I can encourage someone to talk (in defence) by nominating them.
I nominate Amorya
a) She is quiet, has not even taken a role - I want her to talk
b) As a new player she is blank space, so I want her to talk
c) Another nominee makes my lynching less likely.

Eliza hadn't been in the town very long at all when she sensed Colonel Sylvain de la Botte Trouée was paying her quite a bit of attention. At first she was flattered by his interest: perhaps her decision not to disguise herself as a boy had had some advantages? But then she remembered what she'd heard about a conspiracy. This scrutiny was perhaps suspicion by a loyal officer who was trying to find conspirators. Or maybe, perish the thought, he was a conspirator trying to find someone to recruit? No, it was no use thinking that: such paranoia would get nowhere. He was probably just doing his job.

Still, she felt she had better explain herself to him, as it wouldn't do to get off to a bad start with anyone involved in the war effort. As she set off to find him, she heard from a passer-by that he had in fact named her as suspicious! She'd better go and clear up any misunderstandings with haste!

An die Freude
Shipmate
# 14794

The Lord spake:
"I must say, miss Hodge, that you intrigue me. You obviously possess a sound self-confidence. Would you like to share with us some more of your wisdom? How would you go forth in all this? Are you in favour or not in favour of the traditional lynch break at noon? And how come?"

--------------------
Walt Whitman
Formerly JFH

Adam.

Like as the
# 4991

- Posted      Profile for Adam.   Author's homepage   Email Adam.   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Hearte's knife made a satisfying thud as it cut through flesh and hit the wood of the chopping board on which he was filleting the joint. A funeral feast fit for a General! He'd be damned if he had a clue about military strategy, but that he could do.

In fact, Hearte was so good at funeral feasts, that he really wanted to do another one soon (it's so much less work to do several all at once). A lynching is more likely to get a conspirator than one of the really useful people, so he was in favor of one. Unfortunately, there were six to pick from, and he didn't really have any ideas about who to go for. If nothing else arises, he'll just vote for the whoever's the quietest at this stage.

--------------------
Ave Crux, Spes Unica!
Preaching blog

Posts: 8164 | From: Notre Dame, IN | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged
Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

My thoughts exactly, my dear Hearte. I'm taking heed of the letters home from my sister Rose who unaccountably vanished in the Egyptian desert recently, where she detailed how the baddies in Camp Sarastro were completely undistinguishable from the goodies. So I'm trying not to leap to conclusions. At least not this early.

--------------------
Truth

Imaginary Friend

Real to you
# 186

- Posted      Profile for Imaginary Friend   Email Imaginary Friend   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
With a taste of Battista's brandy in his belly, Harry's head was a little clearer and thinking became something of a possibility.
"We've got a right old shit-pile here" he observed, "a fucked-up pigsty of a situation, in fact. How the hell are we supposed to work out who topped the General when there's six bloody fuckers to choose from?
"I notice our Pax still hasn't had anything to say, but I wonder if that doesn't smack of innocence. Now that everybody's got all verbose the traitors will be trying to blend in by talking just as loud as the rest of us wankers. Perhaps this Pax is just shitfaced, ill, dead, whoring, or fuck-knows what."

--------------------
"We had a good team on paper. Unfortunately, the game was played on grass."
Brian Clough

Posts: 9455 | From: Left a bit... Right a bit... | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Prosecution phase ends. Nominations are now closed.

If any of the accused (being:

Fr. Didier;

Cnl. Sylvain;

Amorya;

2Of. Hodge;

Pax Romana; and

Lt. Laicatell)

wish to defend themselves, they have until 'whenever-I-can-get-to-a-computer' on Monday. Then we'll open the vote.

If all six defendants explicitly close their defences before then, we can start sooner. Conversely, if any of them needs an extension of time beyond, say, midday Monday (GMT), for RL reasons, then please ask.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Eliab
Shipmate
# 9153

Amorya is, of course, now Eliza Bradshaw.

--------------------

Richard Dawkins

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

- Posted      Profile for Dafyd   Email Dafyd   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Dai noticed that Lord Fastolfe had been casting aspersions upon him. Typical: he was probably an upper-class idiot by the looks of it, the kind of person who thought Dulce et decorum est pro patria mori was a jolly spiffing thing to tell the troops.
(For a moment, Dai wondered if there was a poem in that, but then sanity prevailed. No competent poet would do something as ridiculous as put a line of Latin in a poem.)
Anyway, Lord Fastolfe is just stabbing in the dark here, and missing. Dai is not a conspirator or a traitor, but an honest ex-soldier.

(Obtranslation: It is a sweet and fitting thing to die for the land of one's fathers.)

--------------------
we remain, thanks to original sin, much in love with talking about, rather than with, one another. Rowan Williams

Dafyd
Shipmate
# 5549

OoC: I can't find any mafia games earlier than Camp Sarastro on the Ship. Can someone find a link for me please?

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

There's one on Limbo. CuppaT linked to it from the Camp Sarastro thread. I'll see if I can find it.

--------------------
Truth

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

Here it is.

--------------------
Truth

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Father Didier was distinctly unhappy with the current arrangements. True, it was necessary to submit to the civil authorities when their dictates were just, but solemn vows were solemn vows—and really, who would shoot a monk returning to his abbey?

The good news, as he soon found out when attempting to simply walk casually through the checkpoints at the edge of town, was that nobody would. The bad news, however, was that a bespecticled monk in a white-and-brown habit is not the most inconspicuous being God could have possibly created; every MP in the district had been told to keep him from leaving the city. Shooting was unnecessary when simply pointing and drawing up a platoon for escort duty sufficed. There was no way he would be able to return to Westveleteren and St. Sixtus any time soon.

True, he did have his own room in town—or at least an old broom cupboard that had just enough room for a camp bed and a few shelves. That, at least, he was grateful for—certainly when there were so many who lacked even a leaking tarp to keep away the nighttime rains. Even so, it still wasn't his cell in the monastery, nor was the parish church his own chapel, where even the stones seemed to keep their own never-ending contemplative silence. His books would soon be on their way, and Brother Thelonius would be capable of minding the brewery in his absence, but this unforseen interruption . . .

The alarm clock he had been given began to ring. It was a poor substitute for the usual churchbells, but Didier was determined to observe some semblance of his strict observance. Time at last for Vespers, and perhaps a moment or two of sleep before Lauds . . .

--------------------

la vie en rouge
Parisienne
# 10688

Hmmmmmm… the priest says he nominated me just because my name was at the top of the transcript. This prompts a supplementary question – why make a nomination at all?

By time Fr Didier made his nomination, there were already three on the board. One was for himself, it’s true, but there were two non-clerical nominations as well. So I’m not sure I'm quite I’m convinced by his answer.

Now of course I could be completely wrong, and all of this could just be hurt feelings on my part for being accused of a crime I didn’t commit, but nonetheless, with evidence very thin on the ground it seems to me that at this point in time there is more reason to suspect Fr Didier than anyone else. It's a sliver of a suspicion, but that's more than I have on any other suspect (apart from knowing that I myself am a perfectly innocent telegraph operator, obviously). So I intend to vote for him unless I get a good reason why someone else would be a better bet. At the very least if I keep questioning him I make him talk, which is a good thing, whether he’s innocent or guilty.

I bet he’s an opponent of women’s emancipation* anyway.

*Shouldn’t that be “ewomancipation”?

[Dai, there are two previous games (which I won –once on each side of the fence [Big Grin] ) linked in my earlier post]

--------------------

CuppaT
Shipmate
# 10523

- Posted      Profile for CuppaT   Email CuppaT   Send new private message       Edit/delete post   Reply with quote 
Burt is surprised at a whining monk. The ones he knows would be at peace anywhere. A place to sleep anywhere would be fine, a Bible would be nice, maybe a prayer book, and there's always the sun for the approximate time. Hmmm. A pretense at saintliness is just exactly what a mafia guy might do.

I guess we'll see about the other people in this town as time goes by. Everyone sounds so innocent. But some are not. Life is scary in wartime.

--------------------
Stand at the brink of the abyss of despair, and when you see that you cannot bear it any longer, draw back a little and have a cup of tea.
~Elder Sophrony

Posts: 919 | From: the edge of the Ozarks | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

I am afraid, Miss Hodge, that I may not possess either the keenness of sense nor the sharpness of mind of young people like you. So, if you would, please indulge an elder, and I beg for your gentle correction where I have erred in understanding your reasoning. If I understand you correctly:

1. I nominated you essentially at random, even though there were already two other people accused. Even though there are fifteen possible suspects, as well as three nominations that were made after I spoke up, obviously only a conspirator would desire more information, much less give a random person he had chosen at random a chance to show her innocence. Therefore, I am guilty.

2. The fact that I continued to talk and justify myself only means that I must be especially guilty, as Miss Hodge refuses to believe the obvious explanation; because I could not be an innocent wishing to know my new fellows better, I must therefore be a wolf in sheep's clothing, seeking to act inconspicuous while having my fellow citizens kill each other off. Is this correct, miss?

3. Finally, the fact that I am Of A Certain Age and very much set in my habits, and these habits set in me, means that I must be doing something as extraordinary as murdering generals. That I am a homesick monk who finds the routine of Trappist life conducive to his charism of contemplation is obviously impossible—for who could possibly want to return to the peace and silence that has been his life for these many years? That would be far too obvious of an explanation, now wouldn't it? Far easier to believe that I'm a killer.

I believe this to be a fair summery of the charges against me, no?

--------------------

Autenrieth Road

Shipmate
# 10509

What Second Officer Hodge says about the suspiciousness of Father Didier makes sense. On the other hand, I have it on good authority that Father Didier's cousin (who looks exactly like him) did a very similar thing--nominated first round--in Camp Sarastro. Would Father Didier be so predictable as to play the same strategy this time around? Or is that additional evidence against him: that he's playing the same way?

I'm firmly torn as to what to think.

--------------------
Truth

Ariston
Insane Unicorn
# 10894

Here, madame, is what you should think: I am a simple Trappist monk who has no desire but to return home to my abbey.

Please.

I miss it already; I fear that I shall not see my true home ever again.

--------------------

Pages in this thread: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  8  9  10 

Post new thread  Post a reply Close thread   Feature thread   Move thread   Delete thread Next oldest thread   Next newest thread
 - Printer-friendly view
Go to:

Contact us | Ship of Fools | Privacy statement

© Ship of Fools 2016